This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Paranoid Personality Disorder
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Paranoid personality disorder (PPD) is a long-term mental health condition. PPD causes you to be suspicious, distrusting, and hostile toward others. This is because you think they want to hurt you or take advantage of you. You may have trouble trusting or getting along with others. These thoughts and behaviors can cause problems with your relationships and daily activities.
- Medicines can help decrease anxiety or depression and make you feel more stable.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him or her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
You may need to return regularly to discuss your thoughts and feelings. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Go to individual or group therapy:
- Supportive psychotherapy helps you understand your behaviors and actions. This can help you cope with your disorder so you can have positive relationships.
- Family therapy helps you and your family communicate and teaches your family how they can best support you.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You are depressed.
- You feel anxious or worried.
- You do not want to leave your house.
- You begin to drink alcohol, or you drink more than usual.
- You take illegal drugs.
- You take medicines that are not prescribed to you.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Seek care immediately or call 911 if:
- You have severe depression.
- You want to hurt yourself or others.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.