This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Paranoid Personality Disorder
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Paranoid personality disorder (PPD) is a long-term mental health condition. PPD causes you to be suspicious, distrusting, and hostile toward others. These thoughts and behaviors can cause problems with your relationships and daily activities.
Call your local emergency number (911 in the US) if:
- You want to hurt yourself or others.
Seek care immediately if:
- You have severe depression.
Call your doctor or therapist if:
- You feel depressed, anxious, or worried.
- You do not want to leave your house.
- You begin to drink alcohol, or you drink more than usual.
- You take illegal drugs.
- You take medicines that are not prescribed to you.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
- Medicines can help decrease anxiety or depression and make you feel more stable.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him or her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Individual or group therapy
can help you create healthy, positive relationships. The following are common types of therapy:
- Supportive psychotherapy helps you understand your behaviors and actions. This can help you cope with your disorder so you can have positive relationships.
- Family therapy helps you and your family communicate and teaches your family how they can best support you.
Follow up with your doctor or therapist as directed:
You may need to return regularly to discuss your thoughts and feelings. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2021 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Learn more about Paranoid Personality Disorder (Discharge Care)
IBM Watson Micromedex
Symptoms and treatments
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.