This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Low Fiber Diet
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
A low-fiber diet limits foods that are high in fiber. Fiber is the part of fruits, vegetables, and grains that is not broken down by your body. You may need to follow this diet after surgery on your intestines. You may also need to follow this diet for certain conditions such as Crohn disease or ulcerative colitis. Ask your healthcare provider or dietitian how much fiber you can have each day.
Foods to include:
Read food labels to check the amount of fiber that are found in foods. Some foods that are low in fiber include the following:
- Grains: Choose grains that have less than 2 grams of fiber in each serving. Examples include the following:
- Cream of wheat and finely ground grits
- Dry cereal made from rice
- White bread, white pasta, and white rice
- Crackers, bagels, and rolls made from white or refined flour
- Other foods:
- Canned and well-cooked fruit without skins or seeds, and juice without pulp
- Ripe bananas and melons
- Canned and well-cooked vegetables without skins or seeds, and vegetable juice
- Cow's milk, lactose-free milk, soy milk, and rice milk
- Yogurt without nuts, fruit, or granola
- Eggs, poultry (such as chicken and turkey), fish, and tender, ground, well-cooked beef
- Tofu and smooth peanut butter
- Broth and strained soups made of low-fiber foods
Foods to avoid:
- Breads, cereals, crackers, and pasta made with whole wheat or whole grains (such as whole oats)
- Brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, kasha, and barley
- All fresh fruit with skin, except banana and melons
- Dried fruits and fruit juice with pulp
- Canned pineapple
- Raw vegetables
- Nuts, seeds, and popcorn
- Beans, nuts, peas, and lentils
- Tough meats
- Coconut and avocado
What else you should know about a low-fiber diet:
A low-fiber diet can decrease the amount of bowel movements you have. Drink liquids as directed to avoid constipation. Ask how much liquid to drink each day and which liquids are best for you.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.