This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Diet For Stomach Ulcers And Gastritis
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
A diet for stomach ulcers and gastritis is a meal plan that limits foods that irritate your stomach. Certain foods may worsen symptoms such as stomach pain, bloating, heartburn, or indigestion.
Foods to limit or avoid:
You may need to avoid acidic, spicy, or high-fat foods. Not all foods affect everyone the same way. You will need to learn which foods worsen your symptoms and limit those foods. The following are some foods that may worsen ulcer or gastritis symptoms:
- Whole milk and chocolate milk
- Hot cocoa and cola
- Any beverage with caffeine
- Regular and decaffeinated coffee
- Peppermint and spearmint tea
- Green and black tea, with or without caffeine
- Orange and grapefruit juices
- Drinks that contain alcohol
- Spices and seasonings:
- Black and red pepper
- Chili powder
- Mustard seed and nutmeg
- Other foods:
- Dairy foods made from whole milk or cream
- Spicy or strongly flavored cheeses, such as jalapeno or black pepper
- Highly seasoned, high-fat meats, such as sausage, salami, bacon, ham, and cold cuts
- Hot chiles and peppers
- Tomato products, such as tomato paste, tomato sauce, or tomato juice
Foods to include:
Eat a variety of healthy foods from all the food groups. Eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat dairy foods. Whole grains include whole-wheat breads, cereals, pasta, and brown rice. Choose lean meats, poultry (chicken and turkey), fish, beans, eggs, and nuts. A healthy meal plan is low in unhealthy fats, salt, and added sugar. Healthy fats include olive oil and canola oil. Ask your dietitian for more information about a healthy diet.
Other helpful guidelines:
- Do not eat right before bedtime. Stop eating at least 2 hours before bedtime.
- Eat small, frequent meals. Your stomach may tolerate small, frequent meals better than large meals.
© 2017 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.