Skip to Content

Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia


Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia occurs when there are changes in the cells on the surface of your cervix. It is also called cervical dysplasia, or CIN. The cervix is where the lower part of the uterus meets the vagina. CIN may develop into cancer if it is not found and treated.


Follow up with your healthcare provider or gynecologist as directed:

Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.

Manage CIN:

  • Have regular Pap tests. Ask your gynecologist how often you should have a Pap test.
  • Do not smoke. If you smoke, it is never too late to quit. Smoking increases the risk of CIN. Ask for information if you need help quitting.

Prevent another HPV infection:

  • Ask about a vaccination to reduce the risk of HPV infection. If you are younger than 26 years old, you may be able to receive a vaccine to prevent HPV infection.
  • Use a condom when you have sex.

Contact your healthcare provider or gynecologist if:

  • You have a fever.
  • You have chills, a cough, or feel weak and achy.
  • You have heavy vaginal bleeding (soaking 1 pad every hour).
  • You have yellow or foul smelling discharge from your vagina.
  • You have severe abdominal pain or vomiting.
  • You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.

Return to the emergency department if:

  • You have sudden shortness of breath.

┬ę Copyright IBM Corporation 2021 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes┬« are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health

The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.

Learn more about Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia (Aftercare Instructions)

IBM Watson Micromedex

Further information

Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.