Generic Name: Plecanatide (ple KAN a tide)
Brand Name: Trulance
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 1, 2020.
- In studies, some young rodents died from dehydration after taking Trulance (plecanatide). Avoid use of Trulance (plecanatide) in children younger than 18 years of age. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
Uses of Trulance:
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Trulance?
- If you are allergic to Trulance (plecanatide); any part of Trulance (plecanatide); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have bowel block.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Trulance (plecanatide).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Trulance (plecanatide) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Trulance?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Trulance (plecanatide). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you get diarrhea, you will need to make sure to avoid getting dehydrated. Drink plenty of fluids and watch for weight loss. Talk with your doctor.
- If Trulance (plecanatide) is taken by accident, get medical help right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Trulance) best taken?
Use Trulance (plecanatide) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Swallow whole with a drink of water.
- If you cannot swallow Trulance (plecanatide) whole, it may be crushed and mixed with applesauce. You may also dissolve it in water. Follow how to mix as you have been told by your doctor.
- After mixing, take your dose right away. Do not store for future use.
- Those who have feeding tubes may use Trulance (plecanatide). Use as you have been told. Flush the feeding tube after Trulance (plecanatide) is given.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
What are some other side effects of Trulance?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Trulance?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in the original container. Do not take out the antimoisture cube or packet.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Trulance (plecanatide) is refilled. If you have any questions about Trulance (plecanatide), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Frequently Asked Questions
More about Trulance (plecanatide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 179 Reviews
- Drug class: guanylate cyclase-C agonists
- FDA Approval History