Generic Name: Plecanatide (ple KAN a tide)
Brand Name: Trulance
Medically reviewed on Feb 14, 2019
- Studies have shown that some young mice died from dehydration after taking 1 dose of Trulance (plecanatide). This medicine must not be given to a child younger than 6 years of age. Avoid use of Trulance (plecanatide) in children who are 6 to 18 years of age. Talk with the doctor.
Uses of Trulance:
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Trulance?
- If you have an allergy to Trulance (plecanatide) or any part of Trulance (plecanatide).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have bowel block.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Trulance (plecanatide).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Trulance (plecanatide) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Trulance?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Trulance (plecanatide). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If Trulance (plecanatide) is taken by accident, get medical help right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Trulance (plecanatide) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Trulance) best taken?
Use Trulance (plecanatide) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Swallow whole with a drink of water.
- If you cannot swallow Trulance (plecanatide) whole, it may be crushed and mixed with applesauce. You may also dissolve it in water. Follow how to mix as you have been told by your doctor.
- After mixing, take your dose right away. Do not store for future use.
- Those who have feeding tubes may use Trulance (plecanatide). Use as you have been told. Flush the feeding tube after Trulance (plecanatide) is given.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Diarrhea that will not go away.
- Severe diarrhea.
What are some other side effects of Trulance?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Trulance?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in the original container. Do not take out the antimoisture cube or packet.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Trulance (plecanatide), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Trulance (plecanatide)
- Trulance Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 123 Reviews
- Drug class: guanylate cyclase-C agonists