Generic name: Tolnaftate Powder (tole NAF tate)
Brand name: Tinactin, Tinamar
Drug class: Topical antifungals
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 2, 2020.
Uses of Tolnaftate Powder:
- It is used to treat fungal infections of the skin.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Tolnaftate Powder?
- If you are allergic to tolnaftate powder; any part of tolnaftate powder; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have nail or scalp infections. This medicine will not work to treat nail or scalp infections.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with tolnaftate powder.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take tolnaftate powder with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Tolnaftate Powder?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take tolnaftate powder. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If tolnaftate powder is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Tolnaftate Powder) best taken?
Use tolnaftate powder as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Do not take tolnaftate powder by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Sprinkle powder over affected skin.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings, make-up) unless told to do so by the doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of Tolnaftate Powder?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Tolnaftate Powder?
- Store at room temperature in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about tolnaftate powder, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about tolnaftate topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 8 Reviews
- Drug class: topical antifungals
- Drug Information
- Tolnaftate Topical (Advanced Reading)
- Tolnaftate Cream and Solution
- Tolnaftate Spray and Spray Powder
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.