Generic Name: tolnaftate (tole-NAF-tate)
Brand Name: Examples include Tinactin and Tinamar
Tolnaftate powder is used for:
Treating certain fungal infections such as athlete's foot, jock itch, and ringworm. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Tolnaftate powder is an antifungal. It works by blocking the growth of fungi that cause skin infections.
Do NOT use tolnaftate powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in tolnaftate powder
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using tolnaftate powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with tolnaftate powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with tolnaftate powder. Because little, if any, of tolnaftate powder is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if tolnaftate powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use tolnaftate powder:
Use tolnaftate powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Tolnaftate powder is for topical use on the skin only.
- Shake well before each use.
- Clean the affected area with soap and water and dry thoroughly. Sprinkle on enough medicine to cover the affected area. Do not cover unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Wash your hands immediately after using tolnaftate powder, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not get tolnaftate powder in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- For athlete's foot, wear well-fitting, ventilated shoes and change shoes and socks at least once per day.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using tolnaftate powder for the full course of treatment. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of tolnaftate powder, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use tolnaftate powder.
Important safety information:
- Tolnaftate powder is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes.
- Tolnaftate powder may be harmful if swallowed. If you or someone you know may have taken tolnaftate powder by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- It is important to use tolnaftate powder for the full course of treatment. Failure to do so may decrease the effectiveness of tolnaftate powder and may increase the risk that the fungus will no longer be sensitive to tolnaftate powder and will not be able to be treated by this or certain other antifungals in the future.
- Tolnaftate powder is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age unless directed by a doctor. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using tolnaftate powder during pregnancy.
Possible side effects of tolnaftate powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of tolnaftate powder:
Store tolnaftate powder at room temperature in the original container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep tolnaftate powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about tolnaftate powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tolnaftate powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take tolnaftate powder or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about tolnaftate powder. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to tolnaftate powder. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using tolnaftate powder.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about tolnaftate topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical antifungals
- Tolnaftate cream
- Tolnaftate cream kit
- Tolnaftate spray
- Tolnaftate topical
- Tolnaftate Topical (Advanced Reading)