Generic Name: tolnaftate topical (toll NAF tate)
Brand Name: Absorbine Athletes Foot, Absorbine Jr. Antifungal, Blis-To-Sol, Clarus Antifungal, Fungi-Guard, LamISIL Defense, Mycocide NS, Tinactin, Tinaderm, Tinaspore
What is Fungi-Guard?
Tolnaftate is an antifungal medication that fights infections caused by fungus.
Fungi-Guard (for the skin) is used to treat infections such as athlete's foot (tinea pedis), jock itch (tinea cruris), and ringworm (tinea corporis). Tolnaftate is also used with other antifungals to treat infections of the nails, scalp, palms, and soles of the feet.
Fungi-Guard may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
Before taking this medicine
You should not use Fungi-Guard if you are allergic to it.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to use this medicine if you have other medical conditions.
It is not known whether Fungi-Guard will harm an unborn baby. Do not use this medicine without a doctor's advice if you are pregnant.
It is not known whether Fungi-Guard passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medicine without a doctor's advice if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Do not give this medicine to a child without medical advice.
How should I use Fungi-Guard?
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Do not take by mouth. Fungi-Guard is for use only on the skin. Do not use this medicine on open wounds or on sunburned, windburned, dry, chapped, or irritated skin. If this medicine gets in your eyes, nose, mouth, rectum, or vagina, rinse with water.
Do not cover the treated skin area with a bandage that does not allow air circulation. You may use a light cotton-gauze dressing to protect your clothing over treated skin areas.
Wash your hands before and after applying this medicine, unless you are using it to treat a skin condition on your hands.
Clean and dry the skin before you apply tolnafate topical.
Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve, or if they get worse.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep the tube tightly closed when not in use.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Apply the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
An overdose of Fungi-Guard is not expected to be dangerous. Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222 if anyone has accidentally swallowed the medication.
What should I avoid while using Fungi-Guard?
Rinse with water if this medicine gets in your eyes.
Avoid tight-fitting synthetic clothing that does not allow air circulation. Wear loose-fitting clothing made of cotton and other natural fibers until your infection is healed.
Fungi-Guard side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using Fungi-Guard and call your doctor at once if you have skin irritation after applying this medicine.
Common side effects may include mild itching, dryness, or peeling of treated skin.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
What other drugs will affect Fungi-Guard?
It is not likely that other drugs you take orally or inject will have an effect on topically applied tolnaftate. But many drugs can interact with each other. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
More about Fungi-Guard (tolnaftate topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical antifungals
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about Fungi-Guard.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 4.01.
Date modified: March 06, 2018
Last reviewed: December 14, 2015