Generic Name: acebutolol (A-se-BUE-toe-lol)
Brand Name: Sectral
Sectral is used for:
Treating high blood pressure. It may be used alone or in combination with other medicines. It is also used to treat certain kinds of irregular heartbeat. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Sectral is a beta-blocker. It works by causing the heart to beat more slowly and regularly.
Do NOT use Sectral if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Sectral
- you have a very slow heart rate, active heart failure, heart block, shock caused by serious heart problems, or low blood pressure caused by a heart attack
- you are taking mibefradil
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Sectral:
Some medical conditions may interact with Sectral. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart failure, other heart problems (eg, slow heart rate, valve disease, ventricular problems), low blood pressure, or blood vessel problems (eg, narrowing of the blood vessels)
- if you have breathing or lung problems (eg, bronchitis, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), diabetes, an overactive thyroid, liver or kidney problems, or adrenal gland problems (eg, pheochromocytoma)
- if you are currently having a severe allergic reaction or if you have a history of any severe allergic reaction
- if you will be having surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Sectral. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially the following:
- Digoxin, diltiazem, disopyramide, fingolimod, flecainide, ketanserin, mibefradil, or reserpine because side effects, such as severe low blood pressure or slow heart rate, may occur
- Mefloquine or verapamil because the risk of serious heart problems may be increased
- Certain cold medicines, decongestant nasal sprays (eg, oxymetazoline), or diet medicines because severe high blood pressure may occur
- Clonidine because high blood pressure may occur in some cases, especially if you suddenly stop taking clonidine while taking Sectral
- Indomethacin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen) because they may decrease Sectral's effectiveness
- Flecainide, hydralazine, ketanserin, or quinazolines (eg, alfuzosin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Sectral
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Sectral may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Sectral:
Use Sectral as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Sectral by mouth with or without food.
- Taking Sectral at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Sectral even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Sectral, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Sectral.
Important safety information:
- Sectral may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Sectral with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Sectral may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Patients who take medicine for high blood pressure often feel tired or run down for a few weeks after starting treatment. Be sure to take your medicine even if you may not feel "normal." Tell your doctor if you develop any new symptoms.
- Diabetes patients - Sectral may hide signs of low blood sugar, such as a rapid heartbeat. Be sure to watch for other signs of low blood sugar. Low blood sugar may make you anxious, sweaty, weak, dizzy, drowsy, or faint. It may also make your vision change; give you a headache, chills, or tremors; or make you more hungry. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Do not suddenly stop taking Sectral. Sharp chest pain, irregular heartbeat, and sometimes a heart attack may occur if you suddenly stop Sectral. The risk may be greater if you have certain types of heart disease. Your doctor should slowly lower your dose over several weeks if you need to stop taking it. This should be done even if you only take Sectral for high blood pressure. Heart disease is common and you may not know you have it. Limit physical activity while you are lowering your dose. If new or worsened chest pain or other heart problems occur, contact your doctor right away. You may need to start taking Sectral again.
- If you have a history of any severe allergic reaction, talk with your doctor. You may be at risk of an even more severe allergic reaction if you come into contact with the substance that caused your allergy. Some medicines used to treat severe allergies may also not work as well while you are using Sectral.
- If you have high blood pressure, do not use nonprescription products that contain stimulants. These products may include diet pills or cold medicines, including nasal sprays. Contact your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.
- If your doctor has instructed you to check your blood pressure and heart rate regularly, be sure to do so.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Sectral before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Sectral with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Sectral should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Sectral while you are pregnant. Sectral is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Sectral.
Possible side effects of Sectral:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness or lightheadedness; frequent urination; gas; headache; indigestion; mild drowsiness; nausea; sleepiness; sleeplessness; unusual tiredness or weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain or tightness; dark urine; difficulty breathing, especially when lying down; mental or mood changes; pale stools; persistent muscle or joint pain; persistent nausea or loss of appetite; shortness of breath; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; unusually slow heartbeat; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include difficulty breathing, especially when lying down; fainting; lightheadedness, especially when standing; seizures (convulsions); shortness of breath; swelling of ankles; very slow heart rate; weakness; wheezing.Proper storage of Sectral:
Store Sectral at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Sectral out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Sectral, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sectral is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Sectral or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Sectral. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Sectral. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Sectral.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Sectral (acebutolol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 2 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: cardioselective beta blockers