Generic Name: polyethylene glycol/propylene glycol (pol-ee-ETH-i-leen/PROE-pi-leen)
Brand Name: Rhinaris
Rhinaris gel is used for:
Relieving minor nosebleeds or dry, crusty, stuffy, or irritated nasal passages (nostrils) caused by dry room air, allergies, colds, or other conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Rhinaris gel is nasal lubricant. It works by moisturizing the nose and washing away thick secretions.
Do NOT use Rhinaris gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Rhinaris gel
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Rhinaris gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with Rhinaris gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Rhinaris gel. However, no specific interactions are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Rhinaris gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Rhinaris gel:
Use Rhinaris gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply a small amount of Rhinaris gel into each nostril as needed for dry or irritated nasal passages, or as directed by your doctor.
- If the patient is an infant, apply a small amount of Rhinaris gel to the inside of each nostril with the tip of your little finger. Avoid using cotton swabs or other means of application as these could irritate or damage nasal skin.
- Use Rhinaris gel on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- If you miss a dose of Rhinaris gel and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Rhinaris gel.
Important safety information:
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Rhinaris gel while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Rhinaris gel, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Rhinaris gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild, temporary stinging sensation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Rhinaris gel:
Store Rhinaris gel at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Rhinaris gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Rhinaris gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Rhinaris gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Rhinaris gel. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.