Generic Name: Finasteride 5 mg Tablets (fin AS ter ide)
Brand Name: Proscar
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 14, 2019.
Uses of Proscar:
- It is used to treat the signs of an enlarged prostate. It may take a few months to see the full effect.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Proscar?
- If you have an allergy to finasteride or any other part of Proscar (finasteride 5 mg tablets).
- If you are a woman. This medicine is not approved for use in women. If you are a woman using Proscar (finasteride 5 mg tablets), talk with your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Proscar (finasteride 5 mg tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Proscar?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Proscar (finasteride 5 mg tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Proscar (finasteride 5 mg tablets) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take Proscar (finasteride 5 mg tablets).
- Do not donate blood while using Proscar (finasteride 5 mg tablets) and for 1 month after stopping.
- Some doses of Proscar (finasteride 5 mg tablets) may raise the chance of a type of prostate cancer. Talk with your doctor.
- Rarely, male breast cancer has happened with Proscar (finasteride 5 mg tablets). Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may lower sperm counts in men. This may affect being able to father a child. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine is not approved for use in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Pregnant women must not handle crushed or broken tablets. Talk with the doctor.
- Have a rectal exam (to check prostate gland) and blood work (PSA test). Talk with your doctor.
How is this medicine (Proscar) best taken?
Use Proscar (finasteride 5 mg tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Take Proscar (finasteride 5 mg tablets) at the same time of day.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Proscar (finasteride 5 mg tablets) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Read the package insert for more details.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- A lump in the breast, breast pain or soreness, or nipple discharge.
- Enlarged breasts.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Low mood (depression).
- For males, testicle pain.
What are some other side effects of Proscar?
- Feeling tired or weak.
- This medicine may cause a change in sex ability in men or lowered interest in sex. This could go on after you stop Proscar (finasteride 5 mg tablets). Talk with your doctor if these effects go on or bother you.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Proscar?
- Store in the original container at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Proscar (finasteride 5 mg tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about Proscar (finasteride)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors
- FDA Alerts (2)
Other brands: Propecia