Generic Name: podofilox (po-do-FIL-ox)
Brand Name: Condylox
Podofilox solution is used for:
Treating external genital warts.
Podofilox solution is an antimitotic. Exactly how podofilox solution works is unknown.
Do NOT use podofilox solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in podofilox solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using podofilox solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with podofilox solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with podofilox solution. However, no specific interactions with podofilox solution are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if podofilox solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use podofilox solution:
Use podofilox solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Podofilox solution comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get podofilox solution refilled.
- Podofilox solution is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes. If contact with the eyes occurs, immediately flush the eyes with a generous amount of cool water and contact your health care provider.
- Apply podofilox solution only to the warts pointed out by your doctor.
- Wash hands. Apply podofilox solution using the applicator supplied with podofilox solution. Touch the applicator to the wart, applying only the minimum amount needed to cover the wart. Do not get podofilox solution on the healthy skin around the wart.
- If a wart is in a skin fold, spread the skin apart so that you can reach the wart. Allow podofilox solution to dry completely before letting the skin folds return to their normal position.
- Dispose of the used applicator as directed by your doctor and wash your hands immediately after using podofilox solution.
- Any leftover medicine or supplies used with podofilox solution should be placed in a plastic bag and disposed of as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you miss a dose of podofilox solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use podofilox solution.
Important safety information:
- Podofilox solution may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to podofilox solution. Using podofilox solution alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 4 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or use podofilox solution for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use podofilox solution for any condition other than the one for which it was prescribed.
- Do not have sexual intercourse on the days you apply podofilox solution.
- Podofilox solution is flammable. Do not store or use near an open flame or while smoking.
- Women of childbearing age should use effective birth control while using podofilox solution.
- Use podofilox solution with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking podofilox solution, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using podofilox solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if podofilox solution is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while you are using podofilox solution.
Possible side effects of podofilox solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Headache; mild burning, inflammation, stinging, pain, or redness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bleeding, swelling, or severe or prolonged pain, burning, or itching at the application site; blood in the urine.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blood in the urine; diarrhea; fever, chills, or sore throat; loss of consciousness; mental or mood changes; mouth ulcers; nausea; numbness or tingling of the skin; seizures; sluggishness; trouble breathing; unusual bruising or bleeding; vomiting.Proper storage of podofilox solution:
Store podofilox solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Keep podofilox solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about podofilox solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Podofilox solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take podofilox solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about podofilox solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to podofilox solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using podofilox solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about podofilox topical
- Other brands: Condylox