Pediaderm AF cream
Generic Name: nystatin (nye-STAT-in)
Brand Name: Pediaderm AF
Pediaderm AF cream is used for:
Treating certain fungal infections that cause diaper rash. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Pediaderm AF cream is a topical antifungal and barrier cream combination. The antifungal works by killing sensitive fungi. The cream works by providing a protective barrier to prevent skin irritation.
Do NOT use Pediaderm AF cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Pediaderm AF cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Pediaderm AF cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Pediaderm AF cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Pediaderm AF cream. However, no specific interactions with Pediaderm AF cream are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Pediaderm AF cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Pediaderm AF cream:
Use Pediaderm AF cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Gently cleanse the diaper area with very mild soap and lukewarm water before you apply Pediaderm AF cream. Pat the area dry with a soft towel.
- Apply enough medicine to cover the affected area. Rub in gently.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Pediaderm AF cream.
- Use the protective barrier cream as directed by your doctor.
- To clear up the infection completely, use Pediaderm AF cream for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if the condition improves within a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Pediaderm AF cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pediaderm AF cream.
Important safety information:
- Pediaderm AF cream is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse immediately with cool water.
- Do not get Pediaderm AF cream inside the vagina.
- Be sure to use Pediaderm AF cream for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up the infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Pediaderm AF cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Pediaderm AF cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Pediaderm AF cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild burning or itching.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent burning, irritation, itching, pain, or redness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Pediaderm AF cream:
Store Pediaderm AF cream at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Keep Pediaderm AF cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Pediaderm AF cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pediaderm AF cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Pediaderm AF cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Pediaderm AF cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Pediaderm AF cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Pediaderm AF cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Pediaderm AF (nystatin topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating