Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 1, 2020.
- There is a higher chance of death in older adults who take Nuplazid (pimavanserin capsules) for mental problems caused by dementia. Most of the deaths were linked to heart disease or infection. This medicine is not approved to treat mental problems caused by dementia.
Uses of Nuplazid:
- It is used to treat hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there) and strange thoughts that happen with Parkinson's disease.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Nuplazid?
- If you are allergic to Nuplazid (pimavanserin capsules); any part of Nuplazid (pimavanserin capsules); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have ever had a long QT on ECG or other heartbeat that is not normal.
- If you have any of these health problems: Low magnesium levels, low potassium levels, or slow heartbeat.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with Nuplazid (pimavanserin capsules), like certain drugs that are used for HIV, infections, or seizures. There are many drugs that must not be taken with Nuplazid (pimavanserin capsules).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Nuplazid (pimavanserin capsules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Nuplazid (pimavanserin capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Nuplazid?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Nuplazid (pimavanserin capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may cause a type of abnormal heartbeat (prolonged QT interval). If this happens, the chance of other unsafe and sometimes deadly abnormal heartbeats may be raised.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Nuplazid) best taken?
Use Nuplazid (pimavanserin capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Keep taking Nuplazid (pimavanserin capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Fast or abnormal heartbeat.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- Hallucinations that are new or worse after starting Nuplazid (pimavanserin capsules).
- Feeling confused.
What are some other side effects of Nuplazid?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Nuplazid?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Nuplazid (pimavanserin capsules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
More about Nuplazid (pimavanserin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 9 Reviews
- Drug class: atypical antipsychotics
- FDA Approval History
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.