Generic Name: testosterone (tes-TOS-ter-one)
Brand Name: Natesto
Natesto gel is used for:
Replacing testosterone in adult men when the body does not make any testosterone or not enough testosterone (hypogonadism). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Natesto gel is an androgen hormone. It works by replacing or supplementing the testosterone that is naturally made in the body.
Do NOT use Natesto gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Natesto gel
- you are or may become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- you have known or suspected breast or prostate cancer
- you have problems with swelling of the lining of your nose (eg, Sjogren syndrome)
- you have a history of nose or sinus problems, nose or sinus surgery, or a broken nose that caused the inside of the nose to be crooked (deviated septum)
- you have had a broken nose within the past 6 months
- you are using another medicine given in the nose other than oxymetazoline
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Natesto gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with Natesto gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart problems (eg, congestive heart failure), coronary artery disease, angina (chest pain), high cholesterol levels, swelling or fluid buildup (edema), lung problems, or sleep apnea (long pauses in breathing while you sleep)
- if you have cancer, diabetes, an enlarged prostate or benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH), urinary problems caused by an enlarged prostate, kidney or liver problems, or high blood calcium levels, or you are overweight
- if you have a history of blood clots
- if you are using insulin
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Natesto gel. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Corticosteroids (eg, prednisone) or corticotropin (ACTH) because they may increase the risk of Natesto gel's side effects
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Natesto gel
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Natesto gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Natesto gel:
Use Natesto gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Natesto gel. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Natesto gel is for use in the nose only. Do not get it on your skin or in your eyes or mouth. If you get Natesto gel on your skin, wash with warm water and soap. If you get Natesto gel in your eyes or mouth, rinse at once with cool water.
- Natesto gel works best if it is used at the same time each day.
- Before using Natesto gel for the first time, you must prime the pump. Do this by turning it upside down and pressing down on the pump 10 times. Any medicine that comes out of the pump during priming should be washed down the sink with warm water.
- Blow your nose before use.
- Follow the directions for how to use carefully.
- Do not blow your nose or sniff for 1 hour after using Natesto gel.
- Wipe the tip of the pump with a clean, dry tissue only.
- When the pump is empty, discard it appropriately in the trash out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you miss a dose of Natesto gel, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Natesto gel.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you use Natesto gel before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Natesto gel is not approved for treating low testosterone levels caused by aging. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Do not change your dose of Natesto gel without checking with your doctor.
- Patients who use androgens (such as testosterone) may have an increased risk of prostate cancer. Check with your doctor if you have questions about your risk of prostate cancer while you use Natesto gel.
- Do not switch between Natesto gel and other testosterone products without first talking with your doctor. The application site and/or dose may not be the same as other testosterone products.
- If you have severe or persistent nose irritation (eg, runny nose, stuffy nose, post-nasal drip), talk with your doctor. You may need to stop Natesto gel or switch to another testosterone product.
- Blood clots have happened with the use of testosterone products. Call your doctor right away if you have calf, leg, or arm pain, swelling, redness, or warmth; chest pain or pressure; coughing up blood; or shortness of breath. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Natesto gel may increase the risk of heart attack or stroke. Call your doctor right away if you have chest pain or pressure, confusion, one-sided weakness, or speech or vision problems.
- Natesto gel may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Natesto gel.
- Diabetes patients - Natesto gel may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Large doses of Natesto gel may lower your sperm count. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use Natesto gel. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Natesto gel with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially an enlarged prostate or prostate cancer.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Natesto gel is not approved for use in women. Natesto gel may cause harm to the fetus. Do not use Natesto gel if you are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Natesto gel.
Possible side effects of Natesto gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Cough; headache; sore throat or throat irritation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody nose; breast tenderness or enlargement; change in skin color; change in the size or shape of the testicles; erections that happen often or that last a long time; excessive daytime sleepiness; interrupted breathing while sleeping; mood or mental changes; nausea; new or worsening urination problems (eg, frequent urination, inability to urinate, weak urine stream); nose dryness, pain, or irritation; nose scabs; runny or stuffy nose; severe or persistent headache; shortness of breath; sneezing; swelling of the ankles, feet, or legs; symptoms of liver problems (eg, dark urine, pale stools, persistent loss of appetite, right-upper stomach pain, yellowing of the skin or eyes); trouble sleeping or other sleep changes; unexplained or unusual weight gain; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Natesto gel:
Store Natesto gel at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Natesto gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Natesto gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Natesto gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Natesto gel or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Natesto gel. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Natesto gel. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Natesto gel.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Natesto (testosterone)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: androgens and anabolic steroids