Mineral oil liquidPronunciation
Generic Name: mineral oil (MIHN-er-uhl OYL)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Mineral oil liquid is used for:
Relieving occasional constipation and bowel irregularity.
Mineral oil liquid is a lubricant laxative that works by slowing the absorption of water from the bowel, which softens the stool.
Do NOT use mineral oil liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in mineral oil liquid
- you have a blockage in your intestines
- you are bedridden
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using mineral oil liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with mineral oil liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart failure, appendicitis, difficulty swallowing, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, rectal bleeding, or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with mineral oil liquid. However, no specific interactions with mineral oil liquid are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if mineral oil liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use mineral oil liquid:
Use mineral oil liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take mineral oil liquid on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating.
- Take mineral oil liquid at least 2 hours before bedtime.
- Pour the measured dose into a drinking glass and add a small amount (less than 2 ounces/30 mL) of water, milk, fruit juice, or soft drink. Stir and drink. Follow with additional liquid if needed.
- If you miss a dose of mineral oil liquid, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use mineral oil liquid.
Important safety information:
- Do not use this medication for more than 1 week unless directed to do so by your health care provider.
- Use of mineral oil liquid for a long time may result in loss of normal bowel function.
- Do not take additional laxatives or stool softeners with mineral oil liquid unless directed by your doctor.
- If you notice a sudden change in bowel habits which lasts for 2 weeks or more, do not continue using mineral oil liquid. Instead, check with your doctor.
- Do not use mineral oil liquid if you have difficulty swallowing without consulting your doctor.
- Mineral oil liquid is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using mineral oil liquid during pregnancy. It is unknown if mineral oil liquid is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding, check with your doctor to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of mineral oil liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); failure to have a bowel movement within 6 to 8 hours of taking mineral oil liquid; rectal bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; stomach cramps.Proper storage of mineral oil liquid:
Store mineral oil liquid at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat and light. Protect from freezing. Keep mineral oil liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about mineral oil liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Mineral oil liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take mineral oil liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about mineral oil liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to mineral oil liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using mineral oil liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about mineral oil
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: laxatives