Generic Name: Metoclopramide Oral Solution (met oh KLOE pra mide)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 13, 2020.
- Some people may get a severe muscle problem called tardive dyskinesia. This problem may lessen or go away after stopping metoclopramide oral solution, but it may not go away. The risk is greater with diabetes and in older adults, especially older women. The risk is greater with longer use or higher doses, but it may also occur after short-term use with low doses. Call your doctor right away if you have trouble controlling body movements or problems with your tongue, face, mouth, or jaw like tongue sticking out, puffing cheeks, mouth puckering, or chewing.
- Avoid taking metoclopramide oral solution for more than 12 weeks. Talk with the doctor.
Uses of Metoclopramide Oral Solution:
- It is used to treat heartburn.
- It is used to treat or prevent upset stomach and throwing up.
- It is used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD; acid reflux).
- It is used to treat a slow moving GI (gastrointestinal) tract in some people.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine is not approved for use in children. However, the doctor may decide the benefits of taking metoclopramide oral solution outweigh the risks. If your child has been given metoclopramide oral solution, ask the doctor for information about the benefits and risks. Talk with the doctor if you have questions about giving metoclopramide oral solution to your child.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Metoclopramide Oral Solution?
- If you have an allergy to metoclopramide or any other part of metoclopramide oral solution.
- If you are allergic to metoclopramide oral solution; any part of metoclopramide oral solution; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have ever had a severe muscle problem (tardive dyskinesia) or other muscle problem when taking metoclopramide oral solution.
- If you have or have ever had depression or thoughts of suicide.
- If you have any of these health problems: GI (gastrointestinal) bleeding, hole in the GI tract, bowel block, pheochromocytoma, seizures, Parkinson's disease, or high blood pressure.
- If you are taking any drugs that may raise the chance of body movements you cannot control. There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with metoclopramide oral solution, like certain drugs that are used for depression, pain, or Parkinson's disease. There are many drugs that must not be taken with metoclopramide oral solution.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with metoclopramide oral solution.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take metoclopramide oral solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Metoclopramide Oral Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take metoclopramide oral solution. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how metoclopramide oral solution affects you.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Avoid alcohol or other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- If you stop taking metoclopramide oral solution all of a sudden, you may have signs of withdrawal. Tell your doctor if you have any bad effects.
- If you are allergic to tartrazine, talk with your doctor. Some products have tartrazine.
- If you are 65 or older, use metoclopramide oral solution with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Metoclopramide Oral Solution) best taken?
Use metoclopramide oral solution as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Take at least 30 minutes before eating and at bedtime unless your doctor has told you otherwise.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with metoclopramide oral solution. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure metoclopramide oral solution.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take metoclopramide oral solution on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times metoclopramide oral solution is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Shakiness, trouble moving around, or stiffness.
- Trouble controlling body movements, twitching, change in balance, trouble swallowing or speaking.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Enlarged breasts, nipple discharge, not able to get or keep an erection (in males), or period (menstrual) changes (in females).
- A very bad and sometimes deadly health problem called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) may happen. Call your doctor right away if you have any fever, muscle cramps or stiffness, dizziness, very bad headache, confusion, change in thinking, fast heartbeat, heartbeat that does not feel normal, or are sweating a lot.
- A severe and sometimes deadly problem called serotonin syndrome may happen if you take metoclopramide oral solution with certain other drugs. Call your doctor right away if you have agitation; change in balance; confusion; hallucinations; fever; fast or abnormal heartbeat; flushing; muscle twitching or stiffness; seizures; shivering or shaking; sweating a lot; severe diarrhea, upset stomach, or throwing up; or severe headache.
- Patients who take metoclopramide oral solution may be at a greater risk of having thoughts or actions of suicide. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
What are some other side effects of Metoclopramide Oral Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Feeling tired or weak.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Metoclopramide Oral Solution?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Do not freeze.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time metoclopramide oral solution is refilled. If you have any questions about metoclopramide oral solution, please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about metoclopramide
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 392 Reviews
- Drug class: GI stimulants
- FDA Alerts (3)
- Metoclopramide oral/injection
- Metoclopramide Orally Disintegrating Tablets
- Metoclopramide Tablets
- Metoclopramide Injection Solution
- ... +2 more