Generic Name: l-methylfolate with vitamins b6 and b12 (meth-ill-FOE-late/VYE-tah-min)
Brand Name: Examples include Foltx and Metanx
Metanx is used for:
Managing hyperhomocysteinemia and supplementing the diet. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Metanx is a vitamin combination. It provides nutritional supplementation for certain nutritional requirements.
Do NOT use Metanx if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Metanx
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Metanx:
Some medical conditions may interact with Metanx. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have anemia
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Metanx. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Fluorouracil because its actions and side effects may be increased by Metanx
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Metanx
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Metanx may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Metanx:
Use Metanx as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Metanx may be taken with or without food.
- If you miss taking a dose of Metanx for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Metanx.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) unless directed to by your doctor.
- Check any other vitamin products you may be taking for folic acid content. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if any other medicine that you take contains folic acid.
- Metanx is not recommended for use in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREASTFEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Metanx during pregnancy. It is unknown if Metanx is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Metanx, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Metanx:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Drowsiness; feeling of swelling of the entire body; mild diarrhea; numbness or tingling.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dizziness; itching.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Metanx:
Store Metanx at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Metanx out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Metanx, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Metanx is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Metanx or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Metanx. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Metanx. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Metanx.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Metanx (multivitamin)
- Side Effects
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 18 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: vitamin and mineral combinations