Generic Name: Lidocaine Rectal Cream and Gel (LYE doe kane)
Brand Name: LMX 5
Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
Uses of LMX 5:
- It is used to stop pain.
- It is used to treat signs of hemorrhoids or rectal irritation.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take LMX 5?
- If you have an allergy to lidocaine or any other part of LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If there is an infection where LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel) will be used.
- If you have broken skin or open wounds where the drug will be used.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take LMX 5?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- Do not use LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Do not scratch or rub the skin while it is numb. Do not let it get very hot or very cold.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, or damaged skin unless the doctor tells you to.
- Avoid use of heat sources (such as sunlamps, tanning beds, heating pads, electric blankets, heat lamps, saunas, hot tubs, heated waterbeds). Avoid long, hot baths or sunbathing. Your temperature may rise and cause too much drug to pass into your body.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Different brands of LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel) may be for use in different ages of children. Talk with the doctor before giving LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel) to a child.
- If you are 65 or older, use LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (LMX 5) best taken?
Use LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Put on clean, dry skin.
- Put LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel) on as you have been told by the doctor or on the package labeling.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel) on a regular basis, use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Signs of too much acid in the blood (acidosis) like confusion; fast breathing; fast heartbeat; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; very bad stomach pain, upset stomach, or throwing up; feeling very sleepy; shortness of breath; or feeling very tired or weak.
- Trouble breathing, slow breathing, or shallow breathing.
- Very bad numbness and tingling.
- Feeling lightheaded, sleepy, having blurred eyesight, or a change in thinking clearly.
- Change in eyesight.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Dizziness or passing out.
- Ringing in ears.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Feeling hot or cold.
- Slow heartbeat.
- Very bad irritation where LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel) is used.
- Bleeding from rectum or rectal pain.
What are some other side effects of LMX 5?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel) is used.
- Change in color of skin.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out LMX 5?
- Store at room temperature.
- Do not freeze.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about LMX 5 (lidocaine rectal cream and gel), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about LMX 5 (lidocaine topical)
- LMX 5 Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- 2 Reviews
- Drug class: topical anesthetics
- FDA Alerts (4)