Lanthanum carbonate powder
Generic Name: lanthanum carbonate (LAN-tha-num KAR-bo-nate)
Brand Name: Fosrenol
Lanthanum carbonate powder is used for:
Reducing blood phosphate levels in patients with end-stage kidney disease. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Lanthanum carbonate powder is a phosphate binder. It works by blocking the absorption of phosphate, which reduces phosphate and calcium phosphate levels in the blood.
Do NOT use lanthanum carbonate powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in lanthanum carbonate powder
- you have a blockage in your bowels (eg, ileus, impaction) or severe constipation
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using lanthanum carbonate powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with lanthanum carbonate powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have constipation, diabetes, or stomach or bowel problems (eg, an ulcer, ulcerative colitis, Crohn disease)
- if you have a history of colon cancer, or have had stomach or bowel surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with lanthanum carbonate powder. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Calcium channel blockers (eg, nifedipine) because the risk of serious stomach or bowel blockage may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if lanthanum carbonate powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use lanthanum carbonate powder:
Use lanthanum carbonate powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Lanthanum carbonate powder comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get lanthanum carbonate powder refilled.
- Take lanthanum carbonate powder by mouth with or immediately after meals.
- Do not open until you are ready to use.
- Sprinkle powder on a small amount of applesauce or other soft food. Do not try to dissolve in liquid.
- After mixing, take your dose right away. Do not store for future use.
- Do not take an antacid within 2 hours before or 2 hours after you take lanthanum carbonate powder.
- Some medicines should not be taken at the same time as lanthanum carbonate powder; their effectiveness may be decreased. If you are also taking ampicillin, an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor (eg, lisinopril), an anti-malarial (eg, chloroquine), a quinolone antibiotic (eg, ciprofloxacin), a statin (eg, simvastatin), a tetracycline antibiotic (eg, doxycycline), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine), ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take them with lanthanum carbonate powder.
- Take lanthanum carbonate powder on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Continue to take lanthanum carbonate powder even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of lanthanum carbonate powder, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use lanthanum carbonate powder.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take lanthanum carbonate powder before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Serious stomach or bowel blockage has happened with lanthanum carbonate powder. Sometimes, this has led to the need for surgery or treatment in a hospital. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Lanthanum carbonate powder may interfere with stomach x-rays. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking lanthanum carbonate powder.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use lanthanum carbonate powder. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Lanthanum carbonate powder should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use lanthanum carbonate powder if you are pregnant. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use lanthanum carbonate powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of lanthanum carbonate powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; mild stomach pain; nausea; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent constipation, diarrhea, nausea, stomach cramping or pain, or vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of lanthanum carbonate powder:
Store lanthanum carbonate powder at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep lanthanum carbonate powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about lanthanum carbonate powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lanthanum carbonate powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take lanthanum carbonate powder or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about lanthanum carbonate powder. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to lanthanum carbonate powder. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using lanthanum carbonate powder.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about lanthanum carbonate
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 2 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
Other brands: Fosrenol