Generic Name: Galantamine Solution (ga LAN ta meen)
Brand Name: Razadyne
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 19, 2020.
Uses of Galantamine Solution:
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Galantamine Solution?
- If you are allergic to galantamine solution; any part of galantamine solution; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Kidney disease or liver disease.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with galantamine solution.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take galantamine solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Galantamine Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take galantamine solution. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may cause weight loss. You will need to have your weight checked while taking galantamine solution. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Galantamine Solution) best taken?
Use galantamine solution as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take galantamine solution at the same time of day.
- Keep taking galantamine solution as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- It is best to take galantamine solution with food.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with galantamine solution.
- Mix the dose into 3 to 4 ounces (about 100 mL) of a non-alcoholic liquid. Stir well and drink right away. Do not store for future use.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it, with food.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you miss taking galantamine solution for a few days in a row, call your doctor before you start taking it again.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Slow heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Trouble passing urine.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Galantamine Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Galantamine Solution?
- Store at room temperature in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Do not freeze.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about galantamine solution, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about galantamine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 12 Reviews
- Drug class: cholinesterase inhibitors
- Galantamine (Advanced Reading)
- Galantamine Extended-Release Capsules
- Galantamine Tablets