User Reviews for Galantamine

Also known as: Razadyne, Razadyne ER, Reminyl

Learn more about Galantamine.

Galantamine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Alzheimer's Disease.

Reviews for Galantamine to treat Alzheimer's Disease

"About 9 years ago, I was seeing a neurologist to see if there might be some way to treat the overwhelming brain fog known as chemo-brain. We decided to try a few different drugs known to help with dementia and Galantamine was one of them. I was not able to test this one because about 30 minutes after taking the pill, my entire left side of my body went numb with the left side of my face feeling like it was melting. I thought I was having a stroke. My friend said I looked normal, so I called the neurologist who said I would just have to let it wear off. Now I come on this site and see that "one-sided weakness" is on the list of serious side effects needing immediate medical treatment. Nothing to do with this, just wanted to share."

10 year survivor (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have given this to my mother for cognitive help due to Alzheimer's and she has had nothing but challenges, she can't formulate sentences, she's confused, hallucinating. After only 5 days I took her off. She had previously tried Aricept but had the same reaction. I know they are the same family so it wasn't a surprise. Now I am frightened of all the drugs."

Mazzara June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Many times when I take this capsule in the morning, and have a bowel movement after that on the same morning, I see the pill come out in the feces whole, same color, undisturbed looking, and wondering if it has done any good at all. I have asked pharmacist and they say it is possible that it has worked some. That's hard to believe. Even my doctor says that. That is still hard to believe. Capsules usually are absorbed, aren't they? I have been told that I have Mild Cognitive Impairment."

preacherman 11 April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 75 yr. old dad started this medicine a little over a week ago and I can already tell a difference. He is in the moderate stages of Alzheimer's and has not been able to talk more than a few words without forgetting what he's saying for well over a year now. He started taking 4 mg. twice a day and he is actually able to tell me about his day without forgetting a word! His overall mood is improved also. I know it won't last forever but I am very happy with the results of this medicine so far. I have a little glimpse of my dad back and he's had no side effects. Very happy with this medicine!"

Beemama (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My dad was on this for 5 years he advanced in stages and it still improved his mind once he was taken off the medication at the hospital and had a significant decline - they started him back on it and started to improve. I would recommend this to talking to your doctor about it."

Daddys princess warrior November 6, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Reminds me of Adderall but only a natural way to acquire the same or a similar effect. I am in the process of speaking with my grandmothers doctor to see if she can take it for her Alzheimer's."

from utica ny June 4, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My husband is 69 and has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and dementia. He started this medication about two weeks ago. He is already showing signs of improvement. He is able to read and comprehend what he reads. He is able to follow along in a conversation again, and he gives good input into the conversation while it is going on. We would recommend this medication to anyone who is thinking about using it."

Anonymous September 24, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 81 yr old dad has been on it for 4 months and there's been a marked improvement in function and mood and alertness. Memory improvement is small but he's improved much. He's not like a zombie anymore...he's in early stages. I would recommend this."

Anonymous January 24, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Razadyne ER (galantamine): "My dad is 82 years old and was started on Razadye ER. It was like an 82 year old on crystal meth. He hasn't slept in three days or nights."

distressed daughter April 27, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Razadyne ER (galantamine): "It this drug has sovled the problem of hundreds of thousands of Alzheimers sufferers across America and England. Then all I can do is give you a 10/10."

linkspider December 6, 2008