Generic name: Dornase Alfa (DOOR nase AL fa)
Brand name: Pulmozyme
Drug class: Miscellaneous respiratory agents
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 6, 2021.
Uses of Dornase Alfa:
- It is used to lower the number of lung infections and help lung function in cystic fibrosis.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Dornase Alfa?
- If you have an allergy to dornase alfa or any other part of dornase alfa.
- If you are allergic to hamsters, talk with the doctor.
- If you are allergic to dornase alfa; any part of dornase alfa; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take dornase alfa with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Dornase Alfa?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take dornase alfa. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine is used with other drugs. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using dornase alfa while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Dornase Alfa) best taken?
Use dornase alfa as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- You will use by breathing in from the mouth with a special machine (nebulizer). Your doctor will teach you the right way to use.
- Only use the type of nebulizer that you have been told to use. If you are not sure what type of nebulizer to use, talk with the doctor.
- Do not mix other drugs in nebulizer.
- Do not use if the solution is cloudy, leaking, or has particles.
- Do not use if solution changes color.
- Use right after opening.
- Throw away any part not used after use.
- Keep using dornase alfa as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Shortness of breath.
What are some other side effects of Dornase Alfa?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Dornase Alfa?
- Store in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Protect from light.
- Store unused containers in foil pouch until use.
- Throw away unopened drug if left at room temperature for more than 24 hours.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about dornase alfa, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about dornase alfa
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: miscellaneous respiratory agents
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.