Generic Name: dornase alfa (DOR-nase AL-fuh)
Brand Name: Pulmozyme
Dornase alfa is used for:
Improving lung function and reducing the risk of respiratory tract infections in patients with cystic fibrosis.
Dornase alfa is an enzyme. It works by decreasing the thickness and stickiness of mucus secretions in the airways of cystic fibrosis patients.
Do NOT use dornase alfa if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in dornase alfa
- you are allergic to Chinese hamster ovary cell products
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using dornase alfa:
Some medical conditions may interact with dornase alfa. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with dornase alfa. However, no specific interactions with dornase alfa are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if dornase alfa may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use dornase alfa:
Use dornase alfa as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with dornase alfa. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Discuss with your doctor what type of nebulizer is appropriate to use with dornase alfa. Follow the directions provided by your doctor or other health care provider for using your nebulizer.
- Do not mix dornase alfa with any other medicine in the nebulizer. Do not use dornase alfa if it is cloudy or discolored.
- Before each use, squeeze the vial you will be using to make sure that it is not leaking.
- Use the contents of the vial as soon as it is opened. Discard any unused medicine.
- Clean the nebulizer according to the instructions. Failure to properly clean the nebulizer could lead to bacterial contamination and you may get an infection. To avoid contamination, throw away any unused medicine after the vial has been opened.
- If you miss a dose of dornase alfa, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use dornase alfa.
Important safety information:
- Do not dilute or mix dornase alfa with other medicines before using it.
- Dornase alfa should be used in combination with standard therapies for cystic fibrosis.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking dornase alfa, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using dornase alfa during pregnancy. It is unknown if dornase alfa is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using dornase alfa, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of dornase alfa:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Changes in voice; eye redness or irritation; runny nose; throat irritation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fever; shortness of breath.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of dornase alfa:
Store dornase alfa in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Store in the foil pouch to protect from light. Do not freeze. If you need to take dornase alfa with you when you travel, keep it refrigerated. Do not let dornase alfa be at room temperature for more than a total of 24 hours. Keep dornase alfa out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about dornase alfa, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dornase alfa is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take dornase alfa or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about dornase alfa. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to dornase alfa. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using dornase alfa.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about dornase alfa
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
Other brands: Pulmozyme