Generic Name: Desmopressin Tablets (des moe PRES in)
Brand Name: DDAVP
Medically reviewed on September 5, 2018
Uses of DDAVP:
- It is used to help prevent bedwetting.
- It is used to treat diabetes insipidus.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take DDAVP?
- If you have an allergy to DDAVP (desmopressin tablets) or any part of DDAVP (desmopressin tablets).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Kidney disease or if you have ever had low sodium levels.
- If you have any of these health problems: Heart failure (weak heart), high blood pressure, or a health problem called syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone (SIADH) secretion.
- If you have type IIB von Willebrand disease.
- If you have a health problem that leads to sodium loss like adrenal gland problems, diarrhea, eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia, nausea, or vomiting that will not stop.
- If you are drinking more water than normal.
- If you are pregnant or plan to get pregnant.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with DDAVP (desmopressin tablets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take DDAVP (desmopressin tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take DDAVP?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take DDAVP (desmopressin tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Very bad allergic reactions have rarely happened. Sometimes, allergic reactions have been deadly with the shot form of DDAVP (desmopressin tablets). Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine can cause low sodium levels. Very low sodium levels can be life-threatening, leading to seizures, passing out, trouble breathing, or death. Talk with the doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Talk with your doctor if you have an infection, a fever, loose stools (diarrhea), or are throwing up. Talk with your doctor if you will be out in very hot weather, will be active, or will be changing how much water you drink for any reason.
- Talk with your doctor if you are taking any drugs that can raise the chance of low sodium levels. There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- If you are 65 or older, use DDAVP (desmopressin tablets) with care. You could have more side effects.
How is this medicine (DDAVP) best taken?
Use DDAVP (desmopressin tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- You may need to watch how much fluid you drink while taking DDAVP (desmopressin tablets). Follow what your doctor has told you about how much fluid you can drink and how much physical activity you can have. If you have questions, talk with your doctor.
- If using DDAVP (desmopressin tablets) for bedwetting or to prevent waking up at night to pass urine, empty your bladder right before bedtime. Do not drink alcohol or caffeine before bedtime. Follow what your doctor has told you to do about drinking fluids close to bedtime.
- Take at bedtime for bedwetting.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of low sodium levels like headache, trouble focusing, memory problems, feeling confused, weakness, seizures, or change in balance.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Muscle weakness.
- Muscle spasm.
- Not hungry.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Swelling, warmth, numbness, change of color, or pain in a leg or arm.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- Coughing up blood.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
What are some other side effects of DDAVP?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out DDAVP?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about DDAVP (desmopressin tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about DDAVP (desmopressin)
- DDAVP Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 9 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: antidiuretic hormones
- DDAVP injection
- DDAVP nasal
- DDAVP (Desmopressin Injection Solution)
- DDAVP (Advanced Reading)
- ... +2 more