Desmopressin use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Desmopressin: DDAVP, Minirin, Stimate, DDAVP Nasal, Noctiva, DDAVP Rhinal Tube
Desmopressin Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Desmopressin is excreted in negligible amounts into milk and is poorly absorbed orally by the infant, so it appears acceptable to use during breastfeeding.
Maternal Levels. In a patient who was using intranasal desmopressin 10 mcg twice daily for diabetes insipidus, serum and milk levels of arginine vasopressin were measured after a dose. Milk levels gradually increased from the background level of 1 ng/L to about 1.5 ng/L over the 4-hour observation period.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Several cases have been reported of mothers with diabetes insipidus using desmopressin and breastfeeding their infants. In one case, the mother discontinued nursing after 2 weeks because of a low milk supply, but this was not clearly drug related. Lactation sometimes improves diabetes insipidus and reduces desmopressin requirements.
1. Burrow GN, Wassenaar W, Robertson GL et al. DDAVP treatment of diabetes insipidus during pregnacy and the post-partum period. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1981;97:23-5. PMID: 7223315
2. Hadi HA, Mashini IS, Devoe LD. Diabetes insipidus during pregnancy complicated by preeclampsia. A case report. J Reprod Med. 1985;30:206-8. PMID: 3999072
3. Hime MC, Richardson JA. Diabetes insipidus and pregnancy. Case report, incidence and review of literature. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 1978;33:375-9. PMID: 652196
4. Wallia A, Bizhanova A, Huang W, Goldsmith SL, Gossett DR, Kopp P. Acute diabetes insipidus mediated by vasopressinase after placental abruption. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98:881-6. PMID: 23393172
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about desmopressin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 23 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antidiuretic hormones
- Desmopressin solution
- Desmopressin spray
- Desmopressin tube
- Desmopressin injection
- More... (4)