Amylase/ lipase/ proteasePronunciation
Generic Name: amylase/lipase/protease (a-mah-LASE/LYE-pase/PRO-tee-ase)
Brand Name: Examples include Dygase and Lapase
Amylase/ lipase/ protease is used for:
Relieving symptoms of indigestion (eg, feeling of fullness, gas, bloating) that occur after meals.
Amylase/lipase/protease is a digestive enzyme combination. It works by helping the body to digest protein, starch, and fat.
Do NOT use amylase/ lipase/ protease if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in amylase/lipase/protease or to pork protein
- you have inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) or a flare-up of long-term pancreas problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using amylase/ lipase/ protease:
Some medical conditions may interact with amylase/lipase/protease. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of pancreas problems, stomach or bowel problems (eg, blockage, short bowel syndrome), or cystic fibrosis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with amylase/lipase/protease. However, no specific interactions with amylase/lipase/protease are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if amylase/lipase/protease may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use amylase/ lipase/ protease:
Use amylase/lipase/protease as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take amylase/lipase/protease by mouth with each meal or snack as directed by your doctor.
- Swallow amylase/lipase/protease whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing. If you cannot swallow the capsule whole, you may open it and sprinkle the contents over food. Mix the medicine with the food and swallow the entire mixture right away, followed by a glass of water.
- If you open the capsule, do not breathe in the powder. Some patients may experience an asthma attack or severe allergic reaction (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue) from breathing in the powder.
- If you miss a dose of amylase/lipase/protease, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once or take a dose without a snack or a meal.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use amylase/lipase/protease.
Important safety information:
- This product may contain tartrazine dye (FD&C Yellow No. 5). This may cause an allergic reaction in some patients. If you have ever had an allergic reaction to tartrazine, ask your pharmacist if your product has tartrazine in it.
- Contact your doctor if you have loose stools while you take amylase/lipase/protease. Your doctor may need to decrease your dose
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if amylase/lipase/protease can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using amylase/lipase/protease while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use amylase/lipase/protease, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of amylase/ lipase/ protease:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with amylase/lipase/protease. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent loose stools; severe stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Store amylase/lipase/protease at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep amylase/lipase/protease out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about amylase/lipase/protease, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Amylase/lipase/protease is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take amylase/lipase/protease or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about amylase/lipase/protease. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to amylase/lipase/protease. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using amylase/lipase/protease.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about pancrelipase
- Amylase/lipase/protease delayed-release capsules
- Pancrelipase capsules
- Pancrelipase capsules (enteric-coated)
- Pancrelipase delayed-release capsules
- Pancrelipase (Advanced Reading)