User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 5 reviews 21 medications

6.9
Summary of Buspirone reviews 270 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

Review by Linda J.:

For Panic Disorder: I had been suffering from anxiety/panic disorder for over a year. I could not do any of the SSRI's at all. My Dr. put me on (BuSpar) Buspirone 15-mg twice a day. No side effects at all. I feel like a brand new person. I feel so clam and relaxed. I sleep peacefully soundly and wonderful every night and have great dreams. I also have noticed it gives me energy during the day and I have no appetite for food. If you're thinking of switching to (BuSpar) Buspirone, please talk to your Dr. about putting you on it. You will be glad you did.

February 15, 2013 3:34 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I'm 31yr old fem, and have been taking Buspar for anxiety/panic for three months, and have decided to discontinue. It took roughly 3 weeks before I noticed a difference. I am slower to irritate, less agitated, and can better manage the constant nagging sensation of anxiety. I've been sleeping better, but really require a full night's sleep or else I'm drowsy all day. And I've been more at ease with new people. These changes have been certainly been positive but minimal. Lately, every day, 2x's a day about 20 mins after my dose (10mg @ 2/day) I would get a ringing headache, body shocks, and dizziness or nausea. I thought this would go away, but it hasn't, and it is getting to the point that my anxiety level is increasing.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2013 6:09 PM

Review by knitchick (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Buspar was okay at first. I felt more relaxed and less tense. But I've had high blood pressure and headaches almost every day on this. Dr is taking me off and going to try something else.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2013 8:18 PM

Review by Centurian:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I thought I was finally going to find the medication for me. At first it was O.K., I was on a low dose, a few days later when I was on a 5mg twice a day for only 4 days, I had been experiencing trouble concentrating, and woke up to my arm muscle twitching uncontrollably, which continued all night and onto the next day. So I quit the medication and called my MD.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2013 9:06 AM

Review by ChristyMC:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have been on Buspar for about 3 months. I take 30 mg a day. I feel it is effective but I still get anxious thoughts and worry about having panic attacks. Does this happen to anyone else maybe I just up my dose but I get dizzy for about 30 minutes and can't lay down while I'm working. I was on Paxil but the side effects were awful so my Dr switched me to this.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2013 8:39 AM

Review by Anonsy (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I have taken this medication for a month and in that time I have had the quietest mind of my life. I take Lexapro for my regular medicine and this is for easing the generalized anxiety disorder that acts up so frequently. Never have I been able to stop myself from a panic attack like this. It's amazing. The first week was tiring and disorienting...after that, smooth sailing.

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2013 8:07 PM

Review by SelfBtrue (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: So far so good, helps me walk away from unreasonable people instead of sharing my unwanted opinion. I have same side effects as mentioned, wondering if anyone has uncomfortable leg pains painful tingling (like a constant funny bone just got hit but towards the high painful part. Could be a pinched nerve and unrelated to Buspar.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2013 3:16 PM

Review by JMT31:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I suffer from anxiety and have tried several medications in the past. I just started using Buspar 5mg twice daily. I notice in the morning, I am dizzy and have vision problems, it goes away after about 30 mins and I find it is helpful to eat when I take it, as side effects are not as bad. I do like it as I am not as high strung throughout the day, my kids have noticed a big difference in my mood. I'm going to give it a bit longer.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2013 2:02 PM

Review by Observer15 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I have suffered from anxiety, panic attacks and depression since I was a teen. At 37, I started taking Prozac. Since then I've gone though just about every medicine on the market. I've been taking Buspar for almost 8 months and it is the BEST one I have ever taken. I currently take 60 mg of Cymbalta (mostly for headaches) and quit all other meds. I have just a little dizziness in the morning, but this has made me feel confident and comfortable in my own skin for the first time. The most marked improvement is in my work. I have a high stress job with a lot of deadlines, and now meeting them is no problem; rather a joy. I don't rant and rave when I get home. Increased productivity and a happy life! A miracle. Would like to stop the Cymbalta.

January 5, 2013 1:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I have GAD and Panic Disorder going on 10 years. I've been on Zoloft the entire time. I had a relapse this year and went on Buspirone. It worked for several weeks but didn't hold up. I steadily went all the way up to the max of 60 mg/day but this wasn't for me. I did have some anti-anxiety effects, but it made me feel empty and I didn't enjoy doing things. I eventually got off of this. I'm now taking Gabapentin (in addition to Zoloft 200 mg) and I like it a lot better so far.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 23, 2012 8:18 PM

Review by waybusylife (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have had three deaths in my family in the last few months, quite my good paying but stressful job, opened my own salon, started school, and having a hard time with my 19 yr old who has moved back home! All of this in the last 6 months! I finally went to my Dr. today and she described Buspar for me! I've only taken one dose and already feeling better so I know I should be really better after a few days! I don't like taking medicines but I was at my wits end! Now hopefully when I go back to school tomorrow I won't get kicked out for being so agitated at people that I walked out on Saturday!

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2012 10:22 PM

For Anxiety: I have never written on a forum in my life but after my experience with this medicine I feel I would like to share my experience. For many years I've had a constant heavy feeling in my chest; constantly feeling anxious and occasionally depressed. My anxiety levels can be overwhelming at times. I get very cross and agitated and can't cope with life's smallest stressors. I find that even though there are hard times and good times in my life I always feel the same way - anxious. I am constantly obsessing over the 'what-ifs' and preparing myself for something bad to happen. This medicine has completely lifted this 'heavy' feeling. This worked instantly! 2 days on it and I feel great. I'll give an update in 3 weeks but so far so good!

December 11, 2012 8:36 PM

Review by chuckfinley (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: When taking the medicine, the first few hours my entire body would have random "tingles", I would experience vertigo / become dizzy, and be nauseous. I took BusPar / buspirone for about 3 weeks and quit after these effects + decreased sex drive.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2012 5:27 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: This medication has helped my anxiety a little, but not enough to make it manageable for me and worth taking. I have also experienced random trembling & muscle spasms. So, no for me.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2012 4:36 PM

Review by strokey (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I suffered a stroke 4/15/2012 I started having a gradual increase of anxiety to the point I could not stand it. My doc put me on Buspar 15mg starting out then up to 30mg all was great until the random suicide thoughts started I also take Celexa 40mg before the Buspar with no issues. So I contacted my doctor who has taken me off of it.

December 3, 2012 8:15 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Female 21yrs old. I have had severe anxiety attacks for the past 2 years, OCD since I can remember, and feel like I can't breath when I think about the what-ifs. I was on Prozac for a few months and absolutely loved it until I started grinding my teeth in my sleep. I tried the Buspar. I've been on it for 2 1/2 weeks. It took most of my anxiety away. But I got so dizzy I couldn't stand it (15mg). Started halving the pills, still makes me dizzy. Gives me headaches and doesn't help with the stress or obsessive compulsive disorder. My doc is adding Paxil to the Buspar and hopefully it'll help more.

November 28, 2012 1:42 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I developed generalized anxiety disorder seemingly out of nowhere after taking prednisone for an infection, and for three months felt like I could barely function, the physical and mental symptoms were so all-encompassing. My docs suggested Lexapro but I wasn't depressed, just anxious; I did some internet research on my own and asked that they try me on Buspar instead. SO GLAD I did. I've been on it for six years now and I feel totally normal, like I used to before the anxiety set in. I've never noticed any side effects to speak of, besides the weird flushed dizziness when I first started taking it, which went away after a couple of weeks. On 22.5 mg per day but I miss doses all the time, to very little effect. Amazing med.

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2012 12:54 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I started getting panic attacks about 6 years ago for no real reason, causing me to not be able to keep anything down for about 2 months. Was put on a lot of meds before I tried Buspar. I believe it with the addition of an SSRI antidepressant saved my life. Back in August of this year I stopped everything and all my anxiety and panic and depression came back. I started the Buspar again yesterday after a huge break down, slept better than I have in months, had great dreams, actually WANTED to get out of bed and today I feel better than I have since the summer! It may not work well for EVERYONE, but when it DOES work, it's amazing.

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2012 12:18 PM

Review by Carlos1990 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I felt compelled to update my expirience with Buspirone after first reviewing this medication over 4 weeks ago now. My initial review was a positive one, after only 3 days the mental fog had disappeared but the anxiety still remained. Unfortunately this has remained the case up till now, therefore I'm going to try some Prozac with this to help with the depression it causes.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2012 5:06 PM

Review by ohio miscreant (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: After having tried Ativan and Vistaril I asked my family Dr for Buspar for acute anxiety. I also take Zoloft. I love Buspar. It's not habit forming and I feel like I have my life back! It's my miracle.

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2012 7:42 PM

Review by BlondeMama (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I'm not exaggerating when I tell you all: This medicine has truly CHANGED my life! After suffering with clinical depression and anxiety for over 12 years, this is the only medicine that has completely taken the anxiety away. I take it along with Prozac 30mg and WOW what a difference it has made for me. (I've been on Prozac for 8-10 years). The Prozac helps with depression, but since my main problem was anxiety, it didn't help very much with that. Xanax wouldn't work for me like it used to, and after this last debilitating episode of anxiety, I had lost hope that anything would work for me. I'm only on 10mg on Buspar and it's literally made me the way I was before I started suffering all those years ago. I feel like the REAL ME again! Amazing!

196 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2012 11:37 PM

Review by Loopyloo (taken for 2 to 5 years):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have been taking Buspar for about two years for anxiety and panic attacks. I take 10mg three times a day. I never experienced any side effects. I find them not to be a quick fix drug at first I thought they were rubbish but after being on them for about a month noticed my days of anxiety were getting less. Recently I had a really bad day and took some Melatonin to help me sleep. Next day I felt fine. So been taking Melatonin each night and seem to be getting better by the day. I have read that Buspar and Melatonin can treat Bipolar Disorder. I am not Bipolar but these two combined have really helped me. My husband has noticed that I'm so much more relaxed.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 20, 2012 6:26 AM

Review by Carlos1990 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I found Buspirone worked well for me. Primary reason for this is due to me only having mild anxiety, which Is where I think this medicine excels. After 2 days I noticed a big difference in my attitude and was able to think more clearly and get back to normality. I've still got another 3 weeks on the pill yet!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2012 3:57 AM

Review by vtchick (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: At first I didn't think Buspar would help me since I have always relied on antidepressants for my mostly manageable anxiety with a very occasional Klonopin. But this past year I was diagnosed with bipolar and have been advised that SSRIs could trigger manic symptoms so I am on mood stabilizers but they do not help my ever increasing anxiety. It has gotten so bad I rarely leave the house and can't work. When I started Buspar at 7.5 Mg 2x/day it made me more anxious and all I did was cry for a week but I was encouraged to keep taking it and it would get better and it has! My quality of life is soo much better, I feel normal again. I do get dizzy after my morning dose and need to sit or lay down though for maybe a half hour to an hour.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2012 9:56 AM

Review by Chinese from Burma:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: It was really good medicine for people with anxiety and panics disorders. I been taking sertraline (Zoloft) 100 mg and Buspar 20 mg total morning and evening and it was really helping me out with general anxiety and reduce panics from my daily life. I had this thing when I go in to any store myself I feel like everyone is watching me like I am going to steal something. That triggers my anxiety and my stomach aches and breathing pattern switch to worst situation ever. Facial all red and it was really painful life. Buspar took care 70 percent of that problem for others was 9 out of 10. I say Yes to Buspar. I suggest talk with your psychiatrist about acute anxiety and consult about having Buspar.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2012 6:08 PM