User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 5 reviews 21 medications

7.5
Panic Disorder 31 reviews 19 medications

Anxiety 242 reviews 60 medications

6.9
Summary of Buspirone reviews 278 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

Review by WorryNoMore:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Been on this medication for over 12 years. Works well for me. Calms me down without the "brain zapping" I got from Paxil and Lexapro. Dosage has been adjusted throughout the years. I am told 60mgs a day is the maximum dose. I am currently on 15mgs 3 times per day. It took a good two weeks to get into my system, and I remember thinking it wasn't working at first. It's no Xanax, but it has helped me much more then Paxil and Lexapro did. This works well for me, and I have no issues taking it for the rest of my life. I do get some increased hunger and minor dizziness after each dose for about 15 minutes, but that beats being anxious and worrying all the time. It is also pretty cheap.

180 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2013 1:16 PM

Review by Ys:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I was a poster child for all the bad side effects of this medication. I am now on clonazepam odt 0.25mg twice daily and feel like a human being again!

April 18, 2013 5:05 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I'm so glad I found this site because it is so uplifting and informative. I have been told that Buspar takes a while to start working but after a few days of 10 mg/day I can tell a difference in my attitude. My neuro in FL that handles my SCA said to take this because it has helped with balance issues that SCA patients have. Haven't noticed yet but will see. I do deal with some dizziness in the morning after taking it but that's it. I love it so far. Thanks everyone.

April 5, 2013 9:59 AM

Review by 40somethingfemale (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: This is my second day on Buspirone, 10 mg, twice a day (one every 12 hours) and already it has calmed my anxiety tremendously! I plan on continuing with Buspirone on a "need to basis," like when a major event arises in my life. Ihave obsessive compulsive disorder with high blood pressure so when major event occur in my life, my mind runs 80 miles an hour trying to plan and manage everything down to the last detail. Then, I find myself overwhelmed and I have anxiety attacks simply because I can't do it all by myself! Thanks to Buspirone, I'm calm and collective and I can think more thoroughly and more effectively. My main side effects so far would be light-headedness and sleepiness, which is way better than anxiety attacks!

April 4, 2013 10:04 AM

Review by Lisa Ahearn:

For Anxiety: The first few days of taking buspirone I experienced an increase in irritability and anger. I've been on it for about 2 months now at a steady 10mg twice a day and it definitely takes the edge off. The first few weeks on this dosage I wasn't having panic attacks, I was more laid back about things, but now I feel like either my anxiety is growing, or my body has become used to it and its not working as much as I'd like. I'm noticing the irritability again. I've had headaches every day. The dizziness shortly after taking medicine doesn't bother me it goes away after a few minutes. And I like that I feel functional and not like a robot. It definitely works, but maybe I need a higher dose.

April 1, 2013 1:34 PM

Review by Swedish77:

For Anxiety: Saved my life.. so thankful. Noticed that it's important to take Buspirone either on an empty stomach or with food. Otherwise you will probably notice dizziness for 15-20 minutes. My mind is completely calm and you feel normal. Life is wonderful!

March 23, 2013 4:09 AM

Review by Dino78 (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have been on many anti depressants and anxiety meds in the past but this one is the right one for me. It is the only medication that I have taken that does not cause erection problems. While it is no miracle pill, it does take the edge off and allows me to deal with things without anger. I am actually able to see the world in a positive light and not be so negative all of the time. I believe I am taking half of the 5mg pill three times a day. I was supposed to be up to a pill and a half three times a day by now, but stronger doses make me feel medicated and I do not like that. I am perfectly happy with the results and my ability to control my anxiety problems. My anxiety is still there, but controlling it is key to long term health.

177 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2013 9:39 AM

Review by knittygal (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Worked well for anxiety but got brain zaps and near constant headaches on 10mg/3xday. Didn't realize how well it worked for physical symptoms of anxiety until I started weening to try a different medicine. Now that I stopped tight chest, racing heart, and sweating are all back. Don't want to leave the house, very irritable. Doc is switching me to doxepin.

February 20, 2013 9:13 PM

Review by Linda J.:

For Panic Disorder: I had been suffering from anxiety/panic disorder for over a year. I could not do any of the SSRI's at all. My Dr. put me on (BuSpar) Buspirone 15-mg twice a day. No side effects at all. I feel like a brand new person. I feel so clam and relaxed. I sleep peacefully soundly and wonderful every night and have great dreams. I also have noticed it gives me energy during the day and I have no appetite for food. If you're thinking of switching to (BuSpar) Buspirone, please talk to your Dr. about putting you on it. You will be glad you did.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2013 3:34 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I'm 31yr old fem, and have been taking Buspar for anxiety/panic for three months, and have decided to discontinue. It took roughly 3 weeks before I noticed a difference. I am slower to irritate, less agitated, and can better manage the constant nagging sensation of anxiety. I've been sleeping better, but really require a full night's sleep or else I'm drowsy all day. And I've been more at ease with new people. These changes have been certainly been positive but minimal. Lately, every day, 2x's a day about 20 mins after my dose (10mg @ 2/day) I would get a ringing headache, body shocks, and dizziness or nausea. I thought this would go away, but it hasn't, and it is getting to the point that my anxiety level is increasing.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2013 6:09 PM

Review by knitchick (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Buspar was okay at first. I felt more relaxed and less tense. But I've had high blood pressure and headaches almost every day on this. Dr is taking me off and going to try something else.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2013 8:18 PM

Review by Centurian:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I thought I was finally going to find the medication for me. At first it was O.K., I was on a low dose, a few days later when I was on a 5mg twice a day for only 4 days, I had been experiencing trouble concentrating, and woke up to my arm muscle twitching uncontrollably, which continued all night and onto the next day. So I quit the medication and called my MD.

February 12, 2013 9:06 AM

Review by ChristyMC:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have been on Buspar for about 3 months. I take 30 mg a day. I feel it is effective but I still get anxious thoughts and worry about having panic attacks. Does this happen to anyone else maybe I just up my dose but I get dizzy for about 30 minutes and can't lay down while I'm working. I was on Paxil but the side effects were awful so my Dr switched me to this.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2013 8:39 AM

Review by Anonsy (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I have taken this medication for a month and in that time I have had the quietest mind of my life. I take Lexapro for my regular medicine and this is for easing the generalized anxiety disorder that acts up so frequently. Never have I been able to stop myself from a panic attack like this. It's amazing. The first week was tiring and disorienting...after that, smooth sailing.

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2013 8:07 PM

Review by SelfBtrue (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: So far so good, helps me walk away from unreasonable people instead of sharing my unwanted opinion. I have same side effects as mentioned, wondering if anyone has uncomfortable leg pains painful tingling (like a constant funny bone just got hit but towards the high painful part. Could be a pinched nerve and unrelated to Buspar.

January 24, 2013 3:16 PM

Review by JMT31:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I suffer from anxiety and have tried several medications in the past. I just started using Buspar 5mg twice daily. I notice in the morning, I am dizzy and have vision problems, it goes away after about 30 mins and I find it is helpful to eat when I take it, as side effects are not as bad. I do like it as I am not as high strung throughout the day, my kids have noticed a big difference in my mood. I'm going to give it a bit longer.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2013 2:02 PM

Review by Observer15 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I have suffered from anxiety, panic attacks and depression since I was a teen. At 37, I started taking Prozac. Since then I've gone though just about every medicine on the market. I've been taking Buspar for almost 8 months and it is the BEST one I have ever taken. I currently take 60 mg of Cymbalta (mostly for headaches) and quit all other meds. I have just a little dizziness in the morning, but this has made me feel confident and comfortable in my own skin for the first time. The most marked improvement is in my work. I have a high stress job with a lot of deadlines, and now meeting them is no problem; rather a joy. I don't rant and rave when I get home. Increased productivity and a happy life! A miracle. Would like to stop the Cymbalta.

January 5, 2013 1:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I have GAD and Panic Disorder going on 10 years. I've been on Zoloft the entire time. I had a relapse this year and went on Buspirone. It worked for several weeks but didn't hold up. I steadily went all the way up to the max of 60 mg/day but this wasn't for me. I did have some anti-anxiety effects, but it made me feel empty and I didn't enjoy doing things. I eventually got off of this. I'm now taking Gabapentin (in addition to Zoloft 200 mg) and I like it a lot better so far.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 23, 2012 8:18 PM

Review by waybusylife (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have had three deaths in my family in the last few months, quite my good paying but stressful job, opened my own salon, started school, and having a hard time with my 19 yr old who has moved back home! All of this in the last 6 months! I finally went to my Dr. today and she described Buspar for me! I've only taken one dose and already feeling better so I know I should be really better after a few days! I don't like taking medicines but I was at my wits end! Now hopefully when I go back to school tomorrow I won't get kicked out for being so agitated at people that I walked out on Saturday!

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2012 10:22 PM

For Anxiety: I have never written on a forum in my life but after my experience with this medicine I feel I would like to share my experience. For many years I've had a constant heavy feeling in my chest; constantly feeling anxious and occasionally depressed. My anxiety levels can be overwhelming at times. I get very cross and agitated and can't cope with life's smallest stressors. I find that even though there are hard times and good times in my life I always feel the same way - anxious. I am constantly obsessing over the 'what-ifs' and preparing myself for something bad to happen. This medicine has completely lifted this 'heavy' feeling. This worked instantly! 2 days on it and I feel great. I'll give an update in 3 weeks but so far so good!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2012 8:36 PM

Review by chuckfinley (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: When taking the medicine, the first few hours my entire body would have random "tingles", I would experience vertigo / become dizzy, and be nauseous. I took BusPar / buspirone for about 3 weeks and quit after these effects + decreased sex drive.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2012 5:27 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: This medication has helped my anxiety a little, but not enough to make it manageable for me and worth taking. I have also experienced random trembling & muscle spasms. So, no for me.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2012 4:36 PM

Review by strokey (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I suffered a stroke 4/15/2012 I started having a gradual increase of anxiety to the point I could not stand it. My doc put me on Buspar 15mg starting out then up to 30mg all was great until the random suicide thoughts started I also take Celexa 40mg before the Buspar with no issues. So I contacted my doctor who has taken me off of it.

December 3, 2012 8:15 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Female 21yrs old. I have had severe anxiety attacks for the past 2 years, OCD since I can remember, and feel like I can't breath when I think about the what-ifs. I was on Prozac for a few months and absolutely loved it until I started grinding my teeth in my sleep. I tried the Buspar. I've been on it for 2 1/2 weeks. It took most of my anxiety away. But I got so dizzy I couldn't stand it (15mg). Started halving the pills, still makes me dizzy. Gives me headaches and doesn't help with the stress or obsessive compulsive disorder. My doc is adding Paxil to the Buspar and hopefully it'll help more.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2012 1:42 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I developed generalized anxiety disorder seemingly out of nowhere after taking prednisone for an infection, and for three months felt like I could barely function, the physical and mental symptoms were so all-encompassing. My docs suggested Lexapro but I wasn't depressed, just anxious; I did some internet research on my own and asked that they try me on Buspar instead. SO GLAD I did. I've been on it for six years now and I feel totally normal, like I used to before the anxiety set in. I've never noticed any side effects to speak of, besides the weird flushed dizziness when I first started taking it, which went away after a couple of weeks. On 22.5 mg per day but I miss doses all the time, to very little effect. Amazing med.

159 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2012 12:54 AM