User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 5 reviews 21 medications

7.5
Panic Disorder 31 reviews 19 medications

Anxiety 242 reviews 60 medications

6.9
Summary of Buspirone reviews 278 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I started getting panic attacks about 6 years ago for no real reason, causing me to not be able to keep anything down for about 2 months. Was put on a lot of meds before I tried Buspar. I believe it with the addition of an SSRI antidepressant saved my life. Back in August of this year I stopped everything and all my anxiety and panic and depression came back. I started the Buspar again yesterday after a huge break down, slept better than I have in months, had great dreams, actually WANTED to get out of bed and today I feel better than I have since the summer! It may not work well for EVERYONE, but when it DOES work, it's amazing.

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2012 12:18 PM

Review by Carlos1990 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I felt compelled to update my expirience with Buspirone after first reviewing this medication over 4 weeks ago now. My initial review was a positive one, after only 3 days the mental fog had disappeared but the anxiety still remained. Unfortunately this has remained the case up till now, therefore I'm going to try some Prozac with this to help with the depression it causes.

November 11, 2012 5:06 PM

Review by ohio miscreant (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: After having tried Ativan and Vistaril I asked my family Dr for Buspar for acute anxiety. I also take Zoloft. I love Buspar. It's not habit forming and I feel like I have my life back! It's my miracle.

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2012 7:42 PM

Review by BlondeMama (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I'm not exaggerating when I tell you all: This medicine has truly CHANGED my life! After suffering with clinical depression and anxiety for over 12 years, this is the only medicine that has completely taken the anxiety away. I take it along with Prozac 30mg and WOW what a difference it has made for me. (I've been on Prozac for 8-10 years). The Prozac helps with depression, but since my main problem was anxiety, it didn't help very much with that. Xanax wouldn't work for me like it used to, and after this last debilitating episode of anxiety, I had lost hope that anything would work for me. I'm only on 10mg on Buspar and it's literally made me the way I was before I started suffering all those years ago. I feel like the REAL ME again! Amazing!

207 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2012 11:37 PM

Review by Loopyloo (taken for 2 to 5 years):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have been taking Buspar for about two years for anxiety and panic attacks. I take 10mg three times a day. I never experienced any side effects. I find them not to be a quick fix drug at first I thought they were rubbish but after being on them for about a month noticed my days of anxiety were getting less. Recently I had a really bad day and took some Melatonin to help me sleep. Next day I felt fine. So been taking Melatonin each night and seem to be getting better by the day. I have read that Buspar and Melatonin can treat Bipolar Disorder. I am not Bipolar but these two combined have really helped me. My husband has noticed that I'm so much more relaxed.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 20, 2012 6:26 AM

Review by Carlos1990 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I found Buspirone worked well for me. Primary reason for this is due to me only having mild anxiety, which Is where I think this medicine excels. After 2 days I noticed a big difference in my attitude and was able to think more clearly and get back to normality. I've still got another 3 weeks on the pill yet!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2012 3:57 AM

Review by vtchick (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: At first I didn't think Buspar would help me since I have always relied on antidepressants for my mostly manageable anxiety with a very occasional Klonopin. But this past year I was diagnosed with bipolar and have been advised that SSRIs could trigger manic symptoms so I am on mood stabilizers but they do not help my ever increasing anxiety. It has gotten so bad I rarely leave the house and can't work. When I started Buspar at 7.5 Mg 2x/day it made me more anxious and all I did was cry for a week but I was encouraged to keep taking it and it would get better and it has! My quality of life is soo much better, I feel normal again. I do get dizzy after my morning dose and need to sit or lay down though for maybe a half hour to an hour.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2012 9:56 AM

Review by Chinese from Burma:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: It was really good medicine for people with anxiety and panics disorders. I been taking sertraline (Zoloft) 100 mg and Buspar 20 mg total morning and evening and it was really helping me out with general anxiety and reduce panics from my daily life. I had this thing when I go in to any store myself I feel like everyone is watching me like I am going to steal something. That triggers my anxiety and my stomach aches and breathing pattern switch to worst situation ever. Facial all red and it was really painful life. Buspar took care 70 percent of that problem for others was 9 out of 10. I say Yes to Buspar. I suggest talk with your psychiatrist about acute anxiety and consult about having Buspar.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2012 6:08 PM

Review by finfan21:

For Anxiety: Well I've been having severe anxiety attacks. Certain Noises, arguments, and even scary scenes in movies would bring these on. I started taking Buspirone about 3 days ago. I have had some side effects such as fatigue, headaches, and belly aches but I have noticed my anxiety level has lowered SO much! I don't really feel nervous, or have worried thoughts. So I am thankful for that. My doctor told me that it would take about 2-3 weeks to get into my system and for my body to recognize it. So I have hope! I will let you guys know how it goes!

September 30, 2012 3:15 PM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: F-Age 60. I have taken Buspar for 20 years, starting in 1992, age 40. I would go off for 3 yrs after being on for 3 yrs. I had horrible relapse of anxiety, would have to go back on. Now I have been on for 6 years without stopping at 5mg 3-times a day. I love Buspar and plan to stay on for life without stopping. I have done things that I could never do without the Buspar, like hiking the grand canyon at age 58, just driving there would have given me panic, and even day to day stress. I will take my chances with long term, better than feeling sick daily, not being able to eat, sleep or leave the house, no way to live. Side effects for me slight dizziness.

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2012 10:21 AM

Review by clarkdaniels (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I was given this for panic disorder with agoraphobia. It made me so dizzy every time I took it that I couldn't even read a book because it felt like I was in a washing machine being twirled around. I took it at night before bed and I had to make sure I was in bed when I took it and I could not be walking around or doing anything because I was afraid I'd stumble or fall down. I took it for eight days and it didn't get any better, so finally I stopped taking it. It had no noticeable improvement on my anxiety anyway and I didn't see the point in taking something that made me feel like I was on a merry-go-round.

September 13, 2012 10:07 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Helped 100% with the anxiety but have huge appetite increase and have gained 30 lbs on it.

September 10, 2012 11:52 PM

Review by kewlj (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I took this medicine starting on a fairly low dose, then gradually adding higher doses. I decided to take it for my generalized anxiety disorder. It had little to no effect on my anxiety despite being on it for months. I know it works for some people, it just wasn't for me.

September 10, 2012 10:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I've had a great experience with Buspar 20 mg daily added on to 37.5 mg of Effexor XR. I have genralized anxiety disorder and Social Phobia, and Buspar has made an enormous improvement. The anxiety is not completely gone but much more manageable. Buspar is a great alternative for people who do not want to risk becoming addicted to the narcotics, such as Xanax. I take it twice a day in the morning and evening, 10mg each time. Within the hour I feel less anxious and calmer. It takes a few weeks to fully take effect (about 5-6 weeks for me), which my psych told me beforehand and I found accurate, so give it time.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2012 8:32 PM

Review by blueTiger (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Works wonders for me. My doctor started me on 10mg's 2x daily a month ago. Now I am on 15mg's 2x daily. Once in the morning and one in the evening. I have taken anti-depressants for years now and have tried almost every one of them on the market. Finally, I made myself see a psychiatrist. I was dealing with uncontrollable outbursts of anger. It made life difficult to the point I just wanted to stay at home alone. This was NOT me. After a few days of taking this medicine I felt like I could deal with everyday life again. Still taking things piece by piece but seemingly my moods are improving slightly because of this medicine. Give it a try.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2012 8:23 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I did not like this. I was given this for anxiety and it didnt help at all. I tried it for a month and felt no difference.

August 16, 2012 5:05 PM

For Anxiety: My current psychiatric diagnosis is anxiety and Aspergers, and perfectionistic OCD personality, that according to the letter stating her diagnosis, she prescribed Xanax and Buspirone. Another psychiatrist had diagnosed me with PDD-NOS, as per the letter he gave me with his diagnosis, he had prescribed me Xanax, which I took, but didn't really like. I have recently started 2.5 mg of Buspirone, it now has been about 2 weeks, and I feel great. I was able to interact and hold down a conversation with people and not break into a sweat, and run and hide, or put my headphones on. The Dr. also recommended that I take Xanax as needed, but this hasn't been necessary.

August 11, 2012 11:51 PM

For Anxiety: I just started this today, and noted the brain zaps, felt that on taking it, initially just need to be aware that it is slightly sedative, but it wears off like 45 minutes later. Then felt some brain zaps, but my anxiety went away, and I felt normal. I have Aspergers and for some unknown reason I get anxiety for fear of not being socially gifted, so I scrutinize myself, and my heart races at times. I've been trying this medication and it works, it beats Xanax or alcohol. I purposely went to very crowded places today, and did not have anxiety, felt very normal. Nice.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2012 12:54 AM

Review by ejsdds (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I am responding very well to this medication (7.5 mg twice a day since 6/3/12) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (with associated panic attacks and depression). My anxiety is back down to a healthier level (not completely gone) and I'm not having as many panic attacks (they still wake me up in the middle of the night most nights). Overall, I feel less depressed (because I'm less anxious). I'm doing everything I can to help myself. I exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet, don't smoke, don't drink, stay away from caffeine, and I read/listen to lots of self-help books/authors. It's not easy, but things are getting better. Buspar definitely helps.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2012 1:54 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Buspar seemed to increase my anxiety and caused sleep disturbance. I woke up several times during the night feeling anxious.

July 16, 2012 6:14 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I had suffered from panic attacks and anxiety since I was 8 years old. It was managable until this year. The attacks have been so severe that I cannot drive and was missing work. I cannot take SSRI's or any medications for that matter. My DR. prescribed Burspar 5mg twice daily. That actually was too much for me and I take 2.5mg twice a day and it works wonderful. I feel the anxiety dwindle away within 1 hour of taking the pill. I do not take it on a regular basis, only when my anxiety begins to increase. Buspar levels me to a normal level. There is hope.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 10, 2012 10:33 AM

Review by toite:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: This medicine has been a God send to me for stressful situations at my job. Unfortunately I had side effects. It has affected my taste buds. Sweet don't taste as good as they used to, which for me wasn't a bad thing.

July 6, 2012 10:03 AM

Review by kp2012 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: It was too good to be true. 30 mins after taking it, I felt as if I was in a state of clear conciseness with no 'thoughts' coming into my mind uninvited. I had to initiate the thought myself. In other words I felt in control of my faculties. i.e general anxiety as it called with various 'rabbit holes'. This medicine makes you feel on the surface of life. And oh yeah, no side effects other then forgetting to eat which is not a big deal because when my body tells me to eat, I'll eat. Also, prior to taking it I had a real problem falling and staying a sleep. Now as soon as my head touches a pillow I close my eyes.

June 30, 2012 9:25 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Good, very good.

June 29, 2012 10:58 AM

Review by dani85 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Buspirone worked for me in the beginning by eliminating anxiety as well as nightmares. However, nightmares and anxiety returned and in response my doctor increased my dose. Now, I experience anxiety at night that has progressed to paranoia,as well as vivid nightmares. I cannot stay asleep when I can actually fall asleep. My mind goes a mile a minute and I have tried meditation and exercise. On average, I get about 3 hours of sleep a night. I have even started drinking a glass of wine or two just to calm my nerves. I now avoid going to bed just so I don't have to deal with the anxiety.

June 23, 2012 6:18 PM