User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 5 reviews 21 medications

7.5
Panic Disorder 31 reviews 19 medications

Anxiety 242 reviews 60 medications

6.9
Summary of Buspirone reviews 278 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

Review by Jason5279:

For Anxiety: This medication did not improve my depression or anxiety at all. I was on dosages from 15 to 60 mg, as an add on to Lexapro and it made no difference. I finally switched to mirtazapine and already felt a lot better the next day.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2014 4:37 PM

Review by bstyll:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I'm on week 7, I thought would wait until the effects kicked in to write a review. Regarding the side effects, mild nausea and lethargy for a short while after taking the medication, nothing to avoid taking the pill for. As for the results, very mild, but I notice a difference. I speak more clearly and confident to people and I overall am less anxious. One big thing, my constant worry about my health has subsided. I am 31 and live a healthy life bit I get a stomach ache and think I have colon cancer. These thoughts I laugh at now. I recommend taking this. Only 8 stars because it is not a cure all, only you can be.

December 4, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by Dylan M:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I was prescribed benzodiazepine for my post traumatic stress disorder induced anxiety. The benzos worked great for me but after admitting myself into a rehab program for substance abuse I was told I could no longer take the benzos as there is high risk for abuse and addiction (even though this wasn't the medicine I was abusing). After a number of panic attacks I sought help from the doctor for a non-addictive alternative. They gave me Buspar 10mg 3x a day. This improved my anxiety but I still had days that were debilitating. I saw the doctor again and he upped the does to 15mg 3x a day and I have been completely anxiety free since. Make sure you have the proper dosage before claiming this doesn't work. And the side effects like dizziness are easily countered with a good meal.

October 27, 2014 5:17 PM

Review by Addvoc84kids (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I have a 10 year old who is autistic, is the size of a 13 year old, and has had severe panic and tantrums since he was 4 years old. He is also going through puberty early. We have tried just about every medication and he has had severe side effects, until Buspar. We started with 5mg twice a day for 2 weeks and now are 10mg twice a day. Within 36 hours we noticed a considerable change in his physical symptoms (he is non-verbal and cannot tell us what is wrong/or what hurts) The school is sending home notes saying he is learning to calm himself and self regulate better and is having more spontaneous language and learning at school. We supplement the Buspar with 3mg daily of risperdal and are hoping to phase out the RISPERDAL this year.

October 26, 2014 6:34 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have been taking Buspar for 2 months and have definitely noticed I am more relaxed and less reactive and upset in stressful situations. Prior to Buspar I had taken Xanax as needed for anxiety but it made me extremely hungry I would eat so much (and even worse-not remember) that it just gave me more anxiety from all the weight gain. I am only taking Buspar now and I take 7.5 mg x 3 daily. I am able to function on this medication and not feel like a zombie. I feel very relaxed and I am starting to enjoy life!

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2014 5:41 PM

Review by Destiny11 (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I'm a 17 year old female. I have OCD and anxiety and this has done nothing for me! I take 7.5 mg 3 x a day and I wish I could take something else. I've been out of school for like a month because of my anxiety.

October 8, 2014 3:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I've taken Buspirone HCL 7.5 MG for at least a month now and its made me feel sick to my stomach, sweaty, and gives me dry mouth. However other people have seen change in my personality in a positive way even though I haven't noticed a big change yet. I don't like how it makes me feel physically but my doctor said it could take months to get used to.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 7, 2014 3:55 PM

Review by Johnny America (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I was having ALL kinds of medical problems, severe cramps, inability to urinate, severe joint pain, headaches, insomnia, and more. I noticed an improvement immediately, most of my problems went away completely, and my joint pain subsided some. I've been on it for two months now, I feel happy, calm and 10Xs better all over. Generalized Anxiety Disorder is a terrible thing to TRY and live with, Buspar is the answer. I had tried lots of natural remedies, like 5HTP and many others. The natural supplements had far more side effects than Buspar! I hate taking medication, but I'm not sure how I'd get along without it. Buspar has changed my life. I'm not sure what started the severe anxiety because I have never had a problem with it, but whatever it was Buspar saved me.

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 1:14 PM

Review by MCruz9 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I take between 30-50 mg per day depending on how I feel. Usually 15mg or 20mg at a time. Doctors should really look at this medicine for bipolar as I am severely bipolar (with anxiety) and do not like addictive substances. Buspar is a wonder medicine for some! I'm getting my life back! I no longer rage and ruminate, and I can also sleep, and think more clearly :D most things do not work for me but this one did.

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by Jane8744:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I tried this after going off Cymbalta cold turkey since I felt that Cymbalta was doing basically nothing for me and worse yet - making me clench my teeth so badly I was getting regular migraines from the TMJ I was getting! Wish the heck I had known Cymbalta had the "less common" side effect of clenching and I could have saved myself a ton I agony, massage therapy, CHIRO visits and muscle relaxers! Anyway as for Buspirone - took between 10 mg and 15 mg 2x day for nearly a whole month and it did virtually nothing for my anxiety! This was especially bad because Cymbalta's withdrawal is horrible and I was experiencing extreme irritability, anger etc. I asked for Prozac 10 mg yesterday and feel 85% better already!

August 28, 2014 4:29 PM

Review by lcdavis (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I've been on it for about a week, just about to up it to 30 mg. I have had no dizziness or nausea. I can say for me, it has an immediate effect after taking it. I feel just a tad loopy and very relaxed for about an hour after. Not sleepy or anything, just relaxed. It has definitely suppressed my appetite. It seems to be working already, I'm not grinding my teeth all day, so my jaw no longer hurts and I'm able to focus a bit better. I like it way better than clonazapam or any benzo I've been given. I do not get panic attacks and I'm also on bupropion.

August 13, 2014 10:41 PM

Review by RaiRai13:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed buspirone for my generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder (as well as clonazepam) Three doses a day; in the afternoon only a dose of buspirone. The first three weeks were hard, as it took that long to get into my system. Once it kicked in, however, I noticed a huge difference. I felt more balanced, and less likely to have a panic attack. Once I took a dose it took effect in half-hour. It does well on it's own to control the anxiety. I took a couple stars off because the side effects are true to the label. They aren't so severe after years of taking it, but the dizziness is strong. I feel like my body will just fall one way or the other, and it's hard to gather strength. Now I take only one dose a day, and it works just as well.

August 11, 2014 1:25 PM

Review by CLWW (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: My doctor prescribed this for me due to heart palpitations to go along with another medication Pristiq. This medication did nothing for me other than increase my appetite .I gained 8 lbs in 2 weeks. Have stopped taking it.

August 9, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Rc9999 (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have generalized anxiety, few panic attacks ever, mostly just obsessive irrational thoughts and constant fears which aren't normal. This definitely helps me calm down and keeps my brain quiet when it normally never stops. For about 2 weeks I would get spouts of dizziness, along with a feeling of restlessness and an inability to focus (felt very much like ADD) but it has been going away! This medicine helps for general anxiety, but I don't think it would do much for panic. I take 5mg 3x a day.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 27, 2014 2:32 AM

Review by konstante (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: When I first started taking this at 5mg twice daily (10mg daily total) for generalized anxiety disorder, I was an absolute zombie, especially in the morning after taking my first dose. I was dizzy and unable to think straight. I was useless and confused at work, making my anxiety worse. Once I cut down to 2.5mg at bedtime, it was perfect for me. The ability to sleep well helped me to make better food choice, exercise more, and think more clearly. If I had more severe anxiety that needed stronger management, I don't think this medicine would have been appropriate for me, but it was great for my situation. I discontinued use during pregnancy but plan to revisit it as an option once I finish breastfeeding.

July 21, 2014 2:09 PM

Review by Anxiety Gal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I am 23 years old and suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. I did not want to be on an addictive med, and was very adamant about that with my doctor. I was prescribed Buspar and have been taking it for a year now (10mg 3 times a day) and it seems to work quite well. It calms me down and makes me think more rationally rather than experiencing constant worry and fear. I feel more free and open to life. Side effects I've experienced include dizziness, hot flashes and extreme hunger for about an hour after taking it. Taking it with food in your stomach is a must as it decreases the side effects for me. One complaint though, is short term memory problems and "cloudy" mind effect, but I will take that any day over my anxiety!

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2014 11:05 AM

Review by Phil BF:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: This medicine started to wear off I think due to too many negatives over 1 month time and I was upped on my dosage from 20mg x2 daily to 40mg x2 daily 8 days ago for thoughts not right and anxiety plus depression. Everything is starting to lift finally and feeling great and happy. It was really tough 8 days so far with very LOW LOWS and I'm BEYOND happy with it. LIFE SAVER INDEED.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by Rina123:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: I've been taking 15mg of BuSpar for 1 month now. It started working around week 3. I can gratetfully say that it is working for the sexual side effects. This medication is a life saver!

July 1, 2014 2:51 PM

Review by Jude29:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have suffered from generalized anxiety disorder for longer than I care to remember. Went through too many anti-depressants that all failed. I was told the Buspar was an "oldie but goodie." I was reluctant to even try another pill and was of the notion that drinking wine was going to be my alternate choice, (which I didn't care to start). Buspar has been my answer. It's brought calm into my life. I recommend this "magic pill."

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 10:00 AM

Review by Sydneyfantastic:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I suffer from severe panic attacks. This medicine left me on the couch for a week because I felt so dizzy. My vision is also "snowy" from this medication and still has not went away 2 years later.

June 20, 2014 9:32 PM

Review by mimi86:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I just started taking buspar and at first I was scared because I hate bad side effects and don't like to take pills at all so I finally took my pill 10mg I felt good at first then came the side effects lightheaded sweating and dizziness but after 20 to 30 mins later it was over. I felt fine went out to socialize and I couldn't believe it, didn't have a panic attack or anxiety attack they work for me.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 7:22 PM

Review by aaax7 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I started taking this medicine for anxiety. I was too told that it takes a while to kick in. I'd have some anxiety here and there but for the most part it was doing it's job until a month ago when my life started over stressing with events I could not control and my anxiety started coming back pretty bad. I thought it was good until my doctor wouldn't up the dosage. I am still taking 7.5.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 7, 2014 1:18 AM

Review by Pinkiechet:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I've had generalized anxiety disorder since before they knew what it was. I have been in all SSRIs, the side effects have kept me from being on them long enough to see if they worked, then Ativan through clonazepam, still anxiety ridden, as a last chance medicine, my Dr gave me Buspar, at this point I was beyond jaded and thought "oh great another pill that won't work", but it did, at 30mgs split to 10mgs 3 times daily. I felt the cloud of anxiety lift after the first pill. I stopped catastrophisizing everything and got my life back. It is an older medicine, no longer a 'go to' medicine, but should be, the others made me zombie like etc. I had the dizzies for a week, pushed through, they stopped. I am now so incredibly happy and anxiety free.

171 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2014 5:12 AM

Review by Big man J (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: This medicine is not strong enough for major anxiety problems related to post traumatic stress disorder. At 60 mg per day it hardly takes the edge off.

May 24, 2014 6:52 PM

Review by chronic GAD (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I take Lexapro 20mg once daily and 5mg (for now) three times daily. The first week I didn't notice much at all.. But now that I've been taking it for over a week I am starting to notice it's effects. Most notably when I let it dissolve under my tongue. This medication has no notable side effects. Only downside is its mildly underpowered. To me, Lexapro is the work horse, and Buspar is a helper.

May 20, 2014 3:31 AM