User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 7 reviews 18 medications

7.8
Anxiety 282 reviews 60 medications

6.9
Panic Disorder 37 reviews 19 medications

6.8
Summary of Buspirone reviews 326 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Buspirone

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "I experienced difficulty in obtaining orgasm while taking 5mg of Lexapro. Buspirone did the trick. When I upped my dose of Lexapro to 7.5mg, I began experiencing trouble reaching orgasm once more. I've let my doctor know and we're working on a solution. Most likely I'll up my dose of Buspirone from 10mg daily to 20mg."

comet8 July 27, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have OCD and extreme anxiety disorder. My Dr started me on buspar a week ago. It helped me so much I haven't had one anxiety since I started. The only negative is really bad nausea. I hope to control my anxiety in more natural ways so I can stop medication soon:)"

Kelli Vasquez (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2015

For Anxiety: "didn't help at all"

be2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2015

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "Started taking Buspirone for anxiety, I am on Effexor XR. The Effexor made achieving an orgasm impossible. It was horrible. However, I couldn't stop because it was helping with my depression. Buspirone has given me back my sex life. My libido still isn't what it used to be. It is still somewhat difficult for me to remain erect for long periods of time. However, I can have an orgasm. Thank the gods."

MrYoungProfessional June 30, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "Ok I've been having panic attacks since I was in middle school and I'm 29 now over time they have gotten worse..It feels like I'm dying and I can't do anything about it. I also freeze it one spot and have some type of seizure that I can move and I don't remember what happens. It's Very Scary!! So I was given xanax to help but it made it worse. When I turned 20 I was given 5mg 2x a day of buspar and it had me in a corner feeling miserable. I wish everyone the best of luck because living like this is hard. Currently my new Dr upped my dose to 15mg every 12hrs I'm not saying it's better but it has been helping. Only problem is I'm starting to feel dizzy when I first take it. Then sleepy. Also detached, alone. Only time will tell"

LoveBugTexas June 27, 2015

For Anxiety: "Besides suffering from periodic depression from various business issues and losses I have also and more importantly suffered from general anxiety disorder since the age of 40. I am now 53. Have gone through the various SSRIs, and also benzos of which I still take klonopin once or twice a day. I have compared the efficacy of the two by staying off klonopin for a day and just exclusively usually buspar and can tell you the buspar has far more benefits than the Klonopin without the dependency of the benzo. I have also had great sexual side effects as many of the SSS have had a negative impact. So not only has my anxiety dissipated, my sex drive is great . I highly recommend this for anybody that has general anxiety disorder PTSD or social anx"

Worrywart1 June 25, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was taking Buspar along with Proactive and Xanax for 5 years...I felt great, so I stopped the Buspar. Within the last 2 months I have had to completely detox off Xanax, and it was a nightmare, I hope to never feel that way again...long story short, I'm back on my Buspar along side my Prozac and I can't remember feeling this good...The fog has lifted! !! My anxiety is all but nothing....I have never had side effects from Buspar either, and I take 15mgs twice a day. For those of you that have an anxiety disorder, this medication is definitely worth trying because you can cope so much better without all the hazy side effects from benzos. BEST OF LUCK!"

Medangel1965 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 23, 2015

For Anxiety: "Well I have anxiety and have trouble getting to sleep or should I say don't get any sleep at all, I have lupus and fibro and I'm on prednisone and pain meds and was recently taken off of my zanax 1mg. Due to the doctor not being able to prescribe me 2 narcotics which I also think is crazy that a doctor is limited to how to treat you, I had been on zanax for 3 years and they worked for me but now due to the limitations of my doctor he gave me buspiron and I am now officially scared to try anything new I couldn't get up the next day. As if I was paralyzed and I felt so off. I thought I was about to have a siezure. I get nauseous as well. I'm now currenrly waiting to go back to my doctor to refer me to another doctor to prescibe me my zanax back again"

LupusWarrior (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Buspar has changed my life! I absolutely love this medication. I suffer from phobias and health anxiety and this medication has worked wonders for me. As a nurse, I didn't want anything addictive and this was my miracle. I tried Ativan and it didn't even touch my anxiety. I have had no side effects with the Buspar and it has helped me to relax and feel like myself again! I highly recommend it!"

artlpn (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "My dear and esteemed friends, Buspirone is in my opinion the best anxiety med I have had. It is extremely safe, nonaddictive and has no withdrawal effects. I am 32 and never panic/anxiety attacks until March of 2014 when I had kidney stone and was given Hydromorphone for the pain and it messed up my nervous system giving me pretty bad anxiety/panic attacks and a little depression. First I tried xanax 0.25 mg for awhile but it is short acting and then was given citalopram 10 mg but I stopped it because of concern for possible side effects of ssris. Finally my cousin who is a wise doctor gave me buspirone 7.5 mg and it was greaaattt!! Took it for 3 months and total dissappearance of anxiety, panic and no depression, what a blessing it is."

TheTeacher82 May 28, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed Buspar a few months ago after consistent failures with various benzos. I took 10mg x day for a while and felt nothing, went up to 20mg x day and kind of felt something, and basically I am now on 40mg x day and I can finally feel it working. It has helped significantly with my anxiety and has relieved the sexual side effects from Prozac. I take my second dose of the day at night with my Trazodone, and it has completely eradicated my fluctuating tolerancy issues with the Trazodone. I never got the brain zaps, but I occasionally get long-lasting headaches, bouts of anger, and fairly awful nightmares. Other than that, it has helped with my GAD quite a bit and is generally more helpful than not."

orangetoday2313 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Been on Buspar for 6 weeks and I'm not feeling any better. My anxiety is mild compared to most but the irritability and sometimes nervous feeling is why I elected to try Buspar. So far at 6 weeks I haven't felt any benefits. The dizziness has been hard to deal with although I found some relief with 25 - 50 mg. Dramamine."

Pushing Forward (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "My son is in high school and has taken this for 7 months. It changed his life. His anxiety over school was out of control to the point he had to be inter graded back into school. He tried Ativan and had horrible side effects and he was reluctant to try anything else after that. After about 3 months on the Buspar he walks tall into school. No more looking over his shoulder or panic attacks out to f nowhere. We wish he would've taken this years ago. The only side effect he complains of is tiredness and occasional headache. The tiredness was more so in the beginning. Those side effects are minuscule compared to his anxiety before taking Buspar."

Mountain mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 16, 2015

For Anxiety: "3 months ago I started getting anxiety attacks daily after getting a panic attack that sent me to the ER. Dr. prescribed me Zoloft and that was a scary ordeal. He then prescribed Wellbutrin and that didnt help. Finally after doing some research I asked for Buspar and its been great. 90% less anxiety, Side effects were ( Brain Zap, A bit of dizziness, and some trouble sleeping.) Nothing too outrageous. I highly recommend this medication if you suffer from GAD"

Cali_Guy May 11, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "No help with anxiety"

ihatesupercenters (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was only on this for a few days until I got a tick inm y left eye and my doctor said I had to discontinue. Research indicates that in rare cases these facial ticks could be permanent which is scary. I also experienced "brain shocks/zaps"."

Outdoors123986 May 4, 2015

For Anxiety: "I struggle with anxiety and bipolar disorder and 15 mg buspar 2x a day along with 75 mg seroquel at night has been the most effective combination for me so far"

Pey April 29, 2015

For Anxiety: "I was previously on buspar and had to be taken off due to other issues that began. I asked to be returned once those issues subsided and couldn't be more pleased with the results. I take 10mg two times a day. No real side effects to speak of. I guess I got lucky that way."

b1976 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "I was on a high dosage of Lexapro and it was working extremely well. However, the side effects were terrible. I added BuSpar gradually then decreased the Lexapro to 10 mg and feel as good as I did on the high dosage of Lexapro. I am currently taking 10mg Lexapro and 15mg BuSpar 2x daily. I will warn you that if you miss a dose or two of the BuSpar, the next time you take it will make you feel really weird for a few hours. Also, when you first start taking it, you will feel weird for about a week. Push through it, it is a great add on to Lexapro."

Great add on to SSRI (could cut dosage way down) 1st week is weird though April 28, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "Currently on week 2 and it made me feel like myself again. Anxiety/panic attacks have ruined my life the last 2 years. My first panic attack was purely physical (POUNDING heart I thought I was dying) roommate took me to the ER. The next week I was prescribed metoprolol and saw a cardiologist who suggested it was anxiety as I didn't believe it was. Eventually the anxiety took my life over and manifested mentally as well (running out of grocery lines, skipping work, etc) I'm a little distracted here but all in all buspirone is a life saver. I forgot what it felt like to be ME again. I now mentally feel amazing, the depression that dug into my life from the anxiety made me a shell of myself. I can honestly say buspirone saved me from myself."

happy2015 April 22, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "First off. Side effects.... Brain zaps. Pounding heart, foggy feeling. First 3 weeks I felt the need for a lot less Ativan. The worry stopped and blood pressure came down . I'm on 5mg per day. Around week 5 I started to notice my blood pressure going back up. Acid reflux and a little nausea. Pounding heart back. I don't want to give up on buspar because I was so happy to lose the everyday worry. On week 7 now. Still at 5mg. Thinking about doing 5mg twice a day. There is no magic pill, but this was close."

Shay2015 April 18, 2015

For Anxiety: "Eating more , not a lot of energy . It seems to take a while to work"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2015

For Anxiety: "I've had social anxiety since high school and was put on Zoloft, which never worked. I eventually developed panic attacks when I was 26. I've tried Xanax for a few days after I was diagnosed and hated it. Was put on Celexa 20mg and did not see any improvement after a year. I learned to self manage and handle my anxiety attacks and knew that I wasn't going to die. I went for a few years like this until I got medical insurance. I went to the Dr. After reading reviews on Buspirone and asked if she thought it'd help with my anxiety. I took 7.5 twice a day for the first 2 weeks and noticed almost immediate (about 30 mins) relief. Yes it does make you dizzy for a few weeks but nothing you can't handle. Give it 6 wks and you'll love it!"

Mp5405 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2015

For Anxiety: "I've been taking it for about 6 weeks now. We started with 5mg 3 times a day then went up to 20mg 3 times a day. I have so many different stressors in my life I was having episodes that would last a couple days at a time. Strange behavior, feeling really strange, couldn't concentrate or finish tasks, etc. So my Dr started me on effexor at first, it had terrible sexual side effects, so we went with buspiron. I haven't had any of those spells since I've been on it. I think my 3rd dose needs to be taken with dinner, for the past couple weeks I've been taking it at bed and I think its adding to my insomnia. Overall its been good."

Missy1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2015

Vanspar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "It has made me irritable, socially awkward, has not helped my anxiety, makes me light-headed a for a bit after I take it, and gives me the general sense that something is "off""

buby1231242424t5asdg (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2015