User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 5 reviews 21 medications

6.9
Summary of Buspirone reviews 270 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

Review by MCruz9 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I take between 30-50 mg per day depending on how I feel. Usually 15mg or 20mg at a time. Doctors should really look at this medicine for bipolar as I am severely bipolar (with anxiety) and do not like addictive substances. Buspar is a wonder medicine for some! I'm getting my life back! I no longer rage and ruminate, and I can also sleep, and think more clearly :D most things do not work for me but this one did.

August 31, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by Jane8744:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I tried this after going off Cymbalta cold turkey since I felt that Cymbalta was doing basically nothing for me and worse yet - making me clench my teeth so badly I was getting regular migraines from the TMJ I was getting! Wish the heck I had known Cymbalta had the "less common" side effect of clenching and I could have saved myself a ton I agony, massage therapy, CHIRO visits and muscle relaxers! Anyway as for Buspirone - took between 10 mg and 15 mg 2x day for nearly a whole month and it did virtually nothing for my anxiety! This was especially bad because Cymbalta's withdrawal is horrible and I was experiencing extreme irritability, anger etc. I asked for Prozac 10 mg yesterday and feel 85% better already!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 4:29 PM

Review by lcdavis (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I've been on it for about a week, just about to up it to 30 mg. I have had no dizziness or nausea. I can say for me, it has an immediate effect after taking it. I feel just a tad loopy and very relaxed for about an hour after. Not sleepy or anything, just relaxed. It has definitely suppressed my appetite. It seems to be working already, I'm not grinding my teeth all day, so my jaw no longer hurts and I'm able to focus a bit better. I like it way better than clonazapam or any benzo I've been given. I do not get panic attacks and I'm also on bupropion.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2014 10:41 PM

Review by RaiRai13:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed buspirone for my generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder (as well as clonazepam) Three doses a day; in the afternoon only a dose of buspirone. The first three weeks were hard, as it took that long to get into my system. Once it kicked in, however, I noticed a huge difference. I felt more balanced, and less likely to have a panic attack. Once I took a dose it took effect in half-hour. It does well on it's own to control the anxiety. I took a couple stars off because the side effects are true to the label. They aren't so severe after years of taking it, but the dizziness is strong. I feel like my body will just fall one way or the other, and it's hard to gather strength. Now I take only one dose a day, and it works just as well.

August 11, 2014 1:25 PM

Review by CLWW (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: My doctor prescribed this for me due to heart palpitations to go along with another medication Pristiq. This medication did nothing for me other than increase my appetite .I gained 8 lbs in 2 weeks. Have stopped taking it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Rc9999 (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have generalized anxiety, few panic attacks ever, mostly just obsessive irrational thoughts and constant fears which aren't normal. This definitely helps me calm down and keeps my brain quiet when it normally never stops. For about 2 weeks I would get spouts of dizziness, along with a feeling of restlessness and an inability to focus (felt very much like ADD) but it has been going away! This medicine helps for general anxiety, but I don't think it would do much for panic. I take 5mg 3x a day.

July 27, 2014 2:32 AM

Review by konstante (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: When I first started taking this at 5mg twice daily (10mg daily total) for generalized anxiety disorder, I was an absolute zombie, especially in the morning after taking my first dose. I was dizzy and unable to think straight. I was useless and confused at work, making my anxiety worse. Once I cut down to 2.5mg at bedtime, it was perfect for me. The ability to sleep well helped me to make better food choice, exercise more, and think more clearly. If I had more severe anxiety that needed stronger management, I don't think this medicine would have been appropriate for me, but it was great for my situation. I discontinued use during pregnancy but plan to revisit it as an option once I finish breastfeeding.

July 21, 2014 2:09 PM

Review by Anxiety Gal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I am 23 years old and suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. I did not want to be on an addictive med, and was very adamant about that with my doctor. I was prescribed Buspar and have been taking it for a year now (10mg 3 times a day) and it seems to work quite well. It calms me down and makes me think more rationally rather than experiencing constant worry and fear. I feel more free and open to life. Side effects I've experienced include dizziness, hot flashes and extreme hunger for about an hour after taking it. Taking it with food in your stomach is a must as it decreases the side effects for me. One complaint though, is short term memory problems and "cloudy" mind effect, but I will take that any day over my anxiety!

July 15, 2014 11:05 AM

Review by Phil BF:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: This medicine started to wear off I think due to too many negatives over 1 month time and I was upped on my dosage from 20mg x2 daily to 40mg x2 daily 8 days ago for thoughts not right and anxiety plus depression. Everything is starting to lift finally and feeling great and happy. It was really tough 8 days so far with very LOW LOWS and I'm BEYOND happy with it. LIFE SAVER INDEED.

July 5, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by Rina123:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: I've been taking 15mg of BuSpar for 1 month now. It started working around week 3. I can gratetfully say that it is working for the sexual side effects. This medication is a life saver!

July 1, 2014 2:51 PM

Review by Jude29:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have suffered from generalized anxiety disorder for longer than I care to remember. Went through too many anti-depressants that all failed. I was told the Buspar was an "oldie but goodie." I was reluctant to even try another pill and was of the notion that drinking wine was going to be my alternate choice, (which I didn't care to start). Buspar has been my answer. It's brought calm into my life. I recommend this "magic pill."

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 10:00 AM

Review by Sydneyfantastic:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I suffer from severe panic attacks. This medicine left me on the couch for a week because I felt so dizzy. My vision is also "snowy" from this medication and still has not went away 2 years later.

June 20, 2014 9:32 PM

Review by mimi86:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I just started taking buspar and at first I was scared because I hate bad side effects and don't like to take pills at all so I finally took my pill 10mg I felt good at first then came the side effects lightheaded sweating and dizziness but after 20 to 30 mins later it was over. I felt fine went out to socialize and I couldn't believe it, didn't have a panic attack or anxiety attack they work for me.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 7:22 PM

Review by aaax7 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I started taking this medicine for anxiety. I was too told that it takes a while to kick in. I'd have some anxiety here and there but for the most part it was doing it's job until a month ago when my life started over stressing with events I could not control and my anxiety started coming back pretty bad. I thought it was good until my doctor wouldn't up the dosage. I am still taking 7.5.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 7, 2014 1:18 AM

Review by Pinkiechet:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I've had generalized anxiety disorder since before they knew what it was. I have been in all SSRIs, the side effects have kept me from being on them long enough to see if they worked, then Ativan through clonazepam, still anxiety ridden, as a last chance medicine, my Dr gave me Buspar, at this point I was beyond jaded and thought "oh great another pill that won't work", but it did, at 30mgs split to 10mgs 3 times daily. I felt the cloud of anxiety lift after the first pill. I stopped catastrophisizing everything and got my life back. It is an older medicine, no longer a 'go to' medicine, but should be, the others made me zombie like etc. I had the dizzies for a week, pushed through, they stopped. I am now so incredibly happy and anxiety free.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2014 5:12 AM

Review by Big man J (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: This medicine is not strong enough for major anxiety problems related to post traumatic stress disorder. At 60 mg per day it hardly takes the edge off.

May 24, 2014 6:52 PM

Review by chronic GAD (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I take Lexapro 20mg once daily and 5mg (for now) three times daily. The first week I didn't notice much at all.. But now that I've been taking it for over a week I am starting to notice it's effects. Most notably when I let it dissolve under my tongue. This medication has no notable side effects. Only downside is its mildly underpowered. To me, Lexapro is the work horse, and Buspar is a helper.

May 20, 2014 3:31 AM

Review by rewjew:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: This medication caused me severe, episodic dizziness.

May 17, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by alwayslmlg (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I had two panic attacks while on this medication. I had not had panic attacks in years. I stopped taking it and that uncontrollable anxiety got better, more like it originally was I should say.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 16, 2014 2:26 AM

Review by InsertNameHere:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I have only been taking BuSpar for about a month but I have seen a rapid turn around in my anxiety. I am not cured, I still get panicked from time to time, but I am now able to deal my worries without getting lost in them. I used to go about life in a sort of depersonalized haze, but the medication has worked in bringing me back to reality. As for side effects, I think it is safe to say that I got them all in the first couple weeks. Nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, slight depression, etc... However, it was nothing that was too bad. As I continued to take it, the side effects decreased. Furthermore, the benefits that I have obtained from it far outweighed any complaints that I might have had. I would suggest trying it for anxiety.

May 15, 2014 8:28 AM

Review by calabsv:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: About 3 months ago out of no where I had a severe panic attack and was rushed to hospital thinking it was a heart attack which it was not but the next day I woke up with severe anxiety, it was horrible. I tried natural remedies but nothing worked and was afraid of SSRIs because of the side effects, after some research I asked to try Buspar, it took over 2 months and playing with the dosage, I take 10 mg morning, 7.5mg afternoon and night time. I finally feel like the constant dialogue in my head is settled down to a point where I can function, hoping it just gets better from here on in. I have had no side effects at all, it may take a while for this medicine to work but stick with it. I think it's worth it.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 7, 2014 7:38 PM

Review by Cyndie1:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I first had a panic attack last June & went to the hospital. They gave me Ativan 1mg. I took that for about 1 month and felt sort of out of it, so I decided to only take half and see how that worked. It did work, but I still felt like a zombie. I went back to the doctor & was prescribed BuSpar 5mg twice a day. I took that for three months, but was still having issues waiting in lines, being in public places & sometimes driving. I found I still needed to take the Ativan when I started to panic. Long and short the 5 mg 2xday would take away about 60% of my anxiety and I would force myself out of my head, so to speak. Recently I went back to the doctor & she upped my dose to 7.5 mg twice a day. I feel great! This is giving me my life back, NO more Ativan.

April 19, 2014 5:27 PM

Review by sleepyseattle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I was told that it may take a while to build in the system to work. I took it for over 2 months. As far as treating anxiety it didn't work.

March 29, 2014 3:25 AM

Review by Jenn beau:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I think it works for me

March 19, 2014 9:52 PM

Review by KateInez:

For Anxiety: I've been taking 10mg buspirone twice a day for 2 months now. Initial side effects were dry mouth and dizziness if taken on an empty stomach. Besides this, I didn't feel in any way "medicated" or otherwise affected. Within the first few weeks, I experienced a significant decrease in my social anxiety as well as my general anxiety. It is a night/day type difference. I interact with strangers, made new friends, can focus on my work and school without being bogged down by troublesome worry, and smile so much more. All of this without any type of sedative action or negative side effects. I was afraid to take buspirone after the terrible reaction I had to Lexapro but there is no comparison. Reviews seem split on buspirone, but it definitely helped me.

March 19, 2014 3:03 PM