User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 4 reviews 21 medications

7.2
Anxiety 216 reviews 60 medications

Panic Disorder 28 reviews 19 medications

6.7
Summary of Buspirone reviews 248 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Buspirone

Review by sleepyseattle (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I was told that it may take a while to build in the system to work. I took it for over 2 months. As far as treating anxiety it didn't work.

March 29, 2014 3:25 AM
Review by Jenn beau: User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I think it works for me

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 19, 2014 9:52 PM
Review by KateInez: User Rating:

buspirone for Anxiety: I've been taking 10mg buspirone twice a day for 2 months now. Initial side effects were dry mouth and dizziness if taken on an empty stomach. Besides this, I didn't feel in any way "medicated" or otherwise affected. Within the first few weeks, I experienced a significant decrease in my social anxiety as well as my general anxiety. It is a night/day type difference. I interact with strangers, made new friends, can focus on my work and school without being bogged down by troublesome worry, and smile so much more. All of this without any type of sedative action or negative side effects. I was afraid to take buspirone after the terrible reaction I had to Lexapro but there is no comparison. Reviews seem split on buspirone, but it definitely helped me.

March 19, 2014 3:03 PM
Review by Punkcowboy: User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: This panic attacks all hit me in August, it was December before they figured out it was anxiety because I had other medical stuff, wrong sickness. They started me out on Zoloft I was allergic then some other meds that had bad side effects finally my doctors try me out on Buspar. Finally after weeks getting the right dosage I have been awesome and healthy for over a month. This pill has given my life back, I was so bad I couldn't go in stores. Now I go every day and shop. This pill is awesome, it takes over a month to get build up or did for me. It was worth the wait, I feel so good I stopped it for 4 days I had panic attack then went back on and I plan on taking this.

March 11, 2014 1:39 AM
Review by Jesh (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

buspirone for Anxiety: I've dealt with anxiety for a long time and it took the extra step to see a professional about it. I suffered severe weightlose and disconnection of personal relationships but let me be the first to say BuSpar can change that for some. I was first on SSRIs and they only made it worse and was constantly reading about my condition and medications with a fear of demise in the end for it all. Give this medication time and try increased dosages with your doctor's approval. They're are a lot of reviews for BuSpar where people "have no effect" but I firmly believe they did not give it time to work. Also know that you are not alone and the road to finding peace is a struggle but the ease and enjoyment of life has such rewarding worth.

March 3, 2014 1:04 AM
Review by Jimmij48: User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I've only been taking Buspar for 3 weeks and my anxiety is gone but I'm still depressed and irritable.

February 26, 2014 10:31 PM
Review by Smokey01 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Buspar changed my life, no kidding. I have been on Prozac so long, but once Buspar was added my personality came to life. Not that I don't sometimes worry, but it is sooo much better to manage with the Buspar. I am not any kind of spokesperson. I have a friend who it didn't work for, but for me, it has changed my life.

February 22, 2014 10:34 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

buspirone for Anxiety: I had postpartum anxiety pretty bad after the birth of my second child. I could not sleep and was afraid to be left alone with both kids (not because I was afraid I would harm them, I was just very overwhelmed by both of them). The doctor prescribed Buspirone and I was very hesitant. I always have bad side effects with anti-depressants or anxiety medication. It truly has been a game changer. I sleep better and can now enjoy spending time with my kids. I do get dizzy from it, but I can deal with that. I'd take dizziness over how I was feeling before the medicine any day.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 13, 2014 2:14 PM
Review by Anti-Anxiety: User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I don't like SSRIs. The fact that Buspar can deal with serotonin receptors without causing the loss of libido, weight gain, and tiredness makes it perfect to treat generalized anxiety. Plus it's non-addictive like many benzodiazepine for panic attacks. I wish they made it in extended release form, though my doctor said it's okay to just take my full dose in the morning - and that seems to be working fine for me. It's the only medication that focuses mainly on the brain's serotonin levels that I like.

February 8, 2014 6:13 AM
Review by SphereR (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

buspirone for Anxiety: This medicine was very strange. I started taking 15mg a day I had no side effects save for a bit of dizziness that goes away after 20 minutes. I reacted so well to it I thought I could ask the doctor to increase the dose since I still felt anxious well after increasing to 30mg. I totally felt like not myself. Felt like a zombie, brain fog, spaced out, memory issues, very sluggish, violent and intrusive thoughts, and suicidal ideation.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 3, 2014 9:05 AM
Review by kcladyz (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

buspirone for Anxiety: I been on this medicine for 3 weeks and I do notice a positive change in my mood. My anxiety and overreacting, over worry and obsessive thoughts has greatly diminished. I worry less, get stressed less and feel better about my life. First day it was very sedating but after that felt little or nothing after taking the pill. I take 15mg twice a day.

January 18, 2014 7:18 PM
Review by Corey064875: User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Did experience slight positive changes, but came at a cost of constant dizziness and fainting

January 9, 2014 1:27 AM
Review by sag34mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: CHANGED me life for the BETTER! Took a little while to kick in. Better to be on this then a habit-forming or dependent medicine..you have to want to change and then this medicine will work. Life-saver! 10mg once a day for 6 months now.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 30, 2013 4:31 PM
Review by Lina~Hyatt: User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: This medicine has worked wonders for me... took a month to work but well worth the wait.

December 14, 2013 12:22 AM
Review by boomboom77: User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have generalized anxiety and panic disorder, I have since I was a teenager. In the past, I took Xanax as needed but it sometimes made me depressed and I worried about developing a tolerance or addiction. After less than a month on Buspar, I have already seen a major improvement. I ruminate less, my body is less tense, I am considerably less fearful (which is saying a lot because I was becoming fearful of leaving the house), I am able to tolerate stressors in a rational way, I am no longer depressed. What remains of my anxiety is manageable and it no longer interferes with my life. I began on 10mg and after a couple weeks bumped up to 15mg. I experienced insomnia the first couple days but that went away. Take with food for nausea.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 13, 2013 9:14 PM
Review by worked for me: User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I found that it worked better for me than anything else. After taking it for about 8 weeks, I was able to ween myself off of every other medication. This was the miracle for me.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 8, 2013 2:15 PM
Review by jah123: User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Buspar has completely and utterly changed my life. I have struggled with generalized anxiety ever since I was a child, and I've never been able to find a permanent solution. I have taken Xanax and Klonopin, but those are short-acting, and you build resistance to them quickly, and they're habit-forming. Now that I'm on Buspar, I have no anxiety. None. Nada. Zip. No more butterflies in my stomach, no more hyperventilating, no more irrational thoughts. I can fall asleep at night no problem, and wake up in the morning and be excited about my day. It takes a while to start noticing (3 weeks for me), but it's completely worth the wait. I'm finally excited about my future, and I finally feel in control of my life.

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 7, 2013 7:25 PM
Review by WhiteKnightToo: User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: This replaced Benzosiazepines and Sleeping pills, gives better rest, improved sex drive, decidedly improved social life. I'm 46m, prescribed 15mg x2 daily. Others noted the improvements first. I had no untoward side effects other than dry mouth and a few lingering panic attacks per month easily handed by low dose Xanax 0.5 mg. Various SSRI's along the way didn't help with depression this much. 5 years running. It works good.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 26, 2013 9:30 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I am 29 years old and have been on Buspar for about a year and a half and since I started taking it my sex drive is completely gone. Yes it helps my anxiety but I am too young to have a horrible sex drive!

November 25, 2013 9:27 AM
Review by panicattack: User Rating:

buspirone for Anxiety: Worst Anxiety medicine ever. My doctor would not prescribe me benzos for major anxiety and ongoing panic attacks. I tried the Buspar, and at first thought it was OK but it is just a tranquilizer. I am a waitress and when I had symptoms of a panic attack coming on and took one, I was dropping stuff, unsteady, and seemed more messed up ON this stuff. I finally found a doctor to give me klonopin as needed and it has been a Godsend. There should not be shame and stigma attached to controlled substances. In my case it has been only the benzos that help me actually get through the panic attacks without feeling like I am about to black out or something horrible will happen. It gets me back to 'normal' quickly, and I never take more than I need.

November 9, 2013 10:05 PM
Review by Matt4072: User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I, have anxiety issues eversince my teenage years. And I have noticed as I get older. My anxiety has gotten much worse. I have went back into the USAR. As of 2009. And my MDD, Panic Disorder and GAD (Social Anxiety) has shpwn it's ugly horns. I have missed taking an airplane for Annual Training. Or have had numerous Panic Attacks while at the range. I was on Paxil 60mg for 3 months. The brain zaps. Didnt help. But still had debilitating PA. So I have been on Lexapro 20mg n Xanac 1mg. Have greatly helped. But still had racing thoughts. And couldn't goto sleep So, for 5 days while being on 15mg Buspar. Taken at night before bed. Has greatly helped me. With sleep. No harsh side effects. I take the lexapro, buspar, xanax. Everyday.

November 4, 2013 9:07 PM
Review by crane guy: User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have suffered from severe anxiety for about 3 years now. I've tried buspar for a little bit and it helped some but I didn't keep taking it. I just had to post what has taken 90% of my anxiety away and that's cardio exercise daily. I started going to the gym and riding the bike with the heart beat monitor on it. I got my heart beat to 120 beats per minute and held it there til I got tired, then slowed down to rest a couple minutes then speed up again.. I'm a crane operator and mostly sit all day in my crane. The very first day I sustained a higher heart rate by exercising for 15 minutes my anxiety levels plummeted. Every day after that it has gotten better. Before taking drugs for anxiety try fast walking for 15 minutes. It will help!

October 24, 2013 8:09 PM
Review by anna flock: User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: My psychiatrist put me on buspar after i had tried lexapro & many natural remedies in regards to my anxiety disorder, depressive disorder, & PTSD. Personally, i think that the medication fools with my depression. My depression has been inactive for almost 6 months now & so i requested ( after taking the lexapro ) that i could be put on strictly anxiety medication. I also have adhd, which i have been taking concerta for. When taking buspar i realized that, it increases my concerta side effects, makes me have depressive symptoms. I feel like it makes me have the physical effects of everything but not the actual feelings, which is frusturating because when presented it looks like more anxiety, depression, adhd, ptsd.. etc. symptoms.

October 23, 2013 2:40 PM
Review by eclectic lady (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: My son timed it several times without me knowing and discovered in 10 mins I was doing so much better, in 20 I was completely back!

October 19, 2013 1:26 PM
Review by AnxietyMom (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

buspirone for Anxiety: Was diagnosed recently with generalized anxiety disorder. It has manifested itself differently through the years...mostly Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My symptoms now being terrible brain-fog and jitters. Went through numerous blood tests, stress test, etc...and came to this "anxiety" conclusion. I decided to try Buspar, as my Mom had been on it off and on and had good results. I was worried about weight gain mostly and this one was touted as not having this effect. After 2 weeks into the medicine, taking 15mg/day, I feel pretty good! Starting to feel back to my old self again. The first couple of days were a little weird, felt more anxious than ever but tried to keep busy and it passed. A little trouble sleeping at night but take melatonin to help for now.

October 10, 2013 9:31 PM