User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 7 reviews 17 medications

Anxiety 394 reviews 63 medications

6.7
Panic Disorder 47 reviews 19 medications

6.2
Summary of Buspirone reviews 448 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Buspar lifted the anxiety ever so gently. I take 3 10 mg tablets per day and it's only $6 per month when prescribed that way. 2 15mg pills a day was $45. As if the relief from anxiety wasn't wonderful enough, after the first 3 years I went from getting plastered with viruses, to just 1 or 2 a year. Think about it...anxiety causes the brain to send out massive amounts of cortisol and adrenaline, which seriously compromises your immune system. Less cortisol & adrenaline equals a stronger immune system. Then there's the enhanced sexual experience for a percentage of us...and that's a little personal, but very appreciated!"

valj (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 26, 2016

For Anxiety: "I'm not one to turn to medication for help, but when I got to the point where anxiety was eating me from the inside out I knew I could use help. I am taking Vyvanse 20 for my A.D.D and was prescribed 5mg of Buspar twice a day. I'm very sensitive to medication so I wanted to start off low and I've read many people feel like it's a sugar pill because they feel nothing. I can tell you that this is not like Xanax. Usually around 6pm I start feeling anxious on everything that is to come. Cooking, college homework, my children, appointments and even taking showers gave me anxiety because I knew it needed to be done and I felt I didn't have enough time. It's an awful nauseating feeling for those of you who suffer from it. I felt 100% better..."

NurseLizzyBee May 25, 2016

For Anxiety: "Buspirone acts on a very specific neuronal receptor which is why people experience such a diverse set of reactions. Do not be afraid to work with the dosage. I take 2mg twice a day. that's it. that's all I need. if it helps your anxiety but gives bad side effects just lower the dose! I think for those of us that buspar helps, it does make us lose our sparkle. we aren't anxious as much but get a little "i don't care zombie" going on now I am trying to find a supplement or Rx that can add that bit of sparkle buspar takes away. I am allergic to SSRI, SSNRI, DNRI, and many others. but overall buspar is worth a try. anything from 1 mg to 50 mg might be your magic bullet. don't be afraid to try. just start low."

Bees Knees May 14, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have had anxiety all my life, my mom will tell you since I was 4 years old lol. I went on prescription meds when I was 18. Started with Lexapro, it stopped working. Switched to Prozac, that stopped working. Switched to another SSRI, so on and so forth for years. I have always disliked meds like Xanax, due to how my body tolerated the drug. So I declined taking anything in that drug class or even close to it. I am not a depressed person, I have been diagnosed with GAD for the past 15 years. I have to say, I feel such a change after 3 weeks on no meds to clear my system and now being on Buspar 10mg BID for the past week. My head feels clear, sex drive is back and off the charts, my memory is back. I will keep updating but so far I'm happy!"

Min21 May 14, 2016

For Anxiety: "Just started 5mg Buspar (3x a day or prn) tonight after being pulled from Wellbutrin. I took Citalopram for 7 years prior to trying the wellbutrin and has to stop because that obliterated my sex drive. I am prescribed .25mg xanax prn. I feel tired now. Calm. I feel a little jumpy, but not like I usually do. I suppose we'll see!"

Let's try it May 7, 2016

For Anxiety: "Diagnosed with GAD a few years ago after a series of life changing events. Originally prescribed Cymbalta (Duloxetine) and Xanax (as needed) but I did not like the side effects of those drugs. After a painful withdrawal from Duloxotine, my physician placed me on Buspar 5mg 3x daily, later it was increased to 10mg 3x daily. Doctor claimed there was no addictive nature to the drug and discontinuing use would have no side effects either. What a difference!. Very little, if any, anxiety. Better mood, sleep and none of the negative side effects I had previously. Highly recommend."

JBChicago (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "Took buspar for the first time yesterday. My PTSD has been growing into agoraphobia slowly and it has been debilitating. Started 7.5mg of the buspar and not even and hour later, I was walking like a drunk, felt like my entire body was being zapped if I moved my neck or head. I was so dizzy I had to take a nap. Decided maybe I'd be better with the night time dose. Took it before bed, fell asleep, and woke up every two hours. Ended up wetting the bed (not an issue I've had ever) and still too damned dizzy to get up. I'm in my mid twenties. This medication doesn't help me and I'd rather stay on the Clonazepam."

Pandoras Box April 28, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I initially was prescribed this a few months ago at 10 mg 3xd, but it made me headachy and almost made my anxiety worse, so I quit taking it. I cannot take benzos, and recently am having more problems with anxiety, so I'm trying it at 5 mg 3xd. Now I see what others have been talking positively about. It's very subtle, but apparently I was just taking too much for my system before. So far, so good."

8901l (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have suffered from anxiety/panic disorders for about 2 1/2 years. I was starting to feel hopeless. I would avoid places unknown and stay home a lot. I got put on buspar finally and I feel like a different person...I'm happy again and feel NORMAL. I am unbelieveably happy and can't imagine life without it. Thanks buspar!"

svavanahp April 24, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was taking ativan from a friend for my slight anxiety issue. It was 1mg I stopped it for two weeks started getting weird feelings in my head. Then had panic attack for the first time. Turns out I'm addicted to the ativan. My doctor gave me .5 ativan didn't stop the attacks and couldn't function right. I had to take a full 1 mg to function. When ever I don't take it I get a panic attack. Well my PcP gave me buspar and been doing better. I been on it two days he wants me to take 15 mg four times a day but that's too much I take 7.5 and feel normal. Taking a full 15 mg is a no no. But at the right dosage it works. Hopefully soon to kick the ativan out. Of missed worked because of this ativan problem. I don't suggest taking any benzodiazepines."

Guyver91 (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "Just got prescribed busbar I take 30mg x2 daily (60mg) I'm 26 suffer from panic attacks and ptsd. For the short time I been on the medication it seems to cut the edge when taken with xanax 1mg 3x a day. Hope to the person reading this it will help. Panic can ruin live's an it's crazy to see so many doctors on negative about benzos. "

James1417 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I began taking buspar about six weeks ago. I am not a fan of benzos because they are addictive, I prefer to function with a clear head rather than popping a pill that sedates me so badly that maybe I'm not feeling my anxiety, but I'm also not living my life or doing much else either. Buspar has changed my life, I had completely forgotten what it was like to have a quiet mind until now. My obsessive thoughts subsided, I can leave my house without fear, I can speak to my friends and to strangers without profusely sweating and trembling, and I can drive again now that I'm not so easily stimulated. It takes a few weeks to feel the full effect, so hang in there if you just began."

Callico4215 April 20, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "This medicine is a waste of time ... to be honest or might be a placebo because it doesn't work !!!! The first time I took it , I made myself believe it worked but it doesn't .... I'm going back on my old combo Klonipin and seroquel.... Can't deal with this anymore longer !!!!! Save your time , energy , and extra anxiety "

Koko800 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2016

For Anxiety: "I take this for anxiety, it seems like it calms. Hard to tell. I had to switch the dosage. In the beginning taking 10mg was too much and it gave me a headache, so Doc said to break it in half and take it twice a day. The problem with that is, it's hard to tell now if it's working and I sometimes forget to take the other half. When I would take the whole 10mg I could tell the difference within a few minutes. Maybe I will try to take a 10mg again to see if I still get the headache since it's been over a month now. *sighs* finding the right medication is not easy!"

preciousjewel (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

For Anxiety: "Took for 3 weeks: 15 mg/day. I have GAD -and get nervous randomly, sometimes to the level of panic. This drug made me nauseous and have brain zaps. The zaps went away after a few days, but I still got nauseous for a while after taking it. Since my anxiety didn't improve, combined with the nausea not going away, I was taken off it. I'd say give it a try if your doc recommends it - I see lots of positive reviews and it's not addictive. I now take 10mg Lexapro and 5 mg Valium (as needed). Anxiety is less potent than before."

Steve Mca April 11, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Helps so much."

AprilCreations (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2016

For Anxiety: "Tried this drug for 5 weeks and had no positive change and ended up having worse than normal anxiety when going from 5mg x3 daily to 10mg x 3 daily."

FLion93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was suffering from such bad anxiety that I felt desperate. I wanted it gone so I waited the six weeks it took to get into a psychiatrist. She prescribed me Buspar and within the first day the meds started to kick in. I took the first dose and then the second as she prescribed me 5mg twice a day to start. I could feel the chemicals in my brain changing and suppressing the anxiety and it was a relief! Let me warn you though, anyone with true anxiety also suffers from depression too so once the anxiety is taken care of with Buspar the depression comes on so much stronger! I'm on Zoloft and Buspar. Used to just be on Paxil until it stopped working."

cardigon1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "I suffer from anxiety/panic disorder and I was given Buspar 10 MG twice daily. I felt very light headed and like I had a constant head rush. My Dr tried increasing the dose to 20mg twice daily and with that I couldn't keep my eyes open. I had to nap for 2 to 3 hours. It was just awful. After nearly 4 weeks of being on this medication, I have insisted that I been taken off of it. I am on 5 MG twice a day for today and tomorrow and then I'll be done with it and I hope the side effects go away soon. Just an awful experience."

DCD79 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've suffered anxiety since I was a teenager. Found out my mum had cancer in fall, anxiety went from mild to severe. It got to the point where I couldn't go a day without some sort of attack. I was miserable, enough for my husband to notice and demand I go to the doctor. Didn't want to be put on anything addictive, was prescribed Buspar. 10 mg. I take as needed, sometimes only 5 mg. It works miracles for me. My only complaint is that sometimes, I'll get these brain shocks, or moments of vertigo. I don't drive while on it. But other than that, I'm glad that I can be there for my mum without having a breakdown."

abellesoleil March 30, 2016

For Anxiety: "I really wanted this to work! Buspar (5mg twice daily) was added to my Wellbutrin to help with anxiety. Immediately noticed mild insomnia, incredibly vivid and intense dreams when I could sleep. Daily diarrhea, bloating, and bouts of vertigo. I made it 4 weeks without improvement in side effects and was forced to discontinue."

DG77 March 30, 2016

For Anxiety: "Buspirone caused me to have horrible nightmares, could not take it."

Bobdu March 22, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have only been taking these since yesterday 5 mg three times a day. I have taken fluoxetine as well for 10 days. Can't say I feel any different .Still feeling I'll with anxiety"

Jadedflower (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I suffer from anxiety,depression and PTSD. This medicine has proven to be a great alternative over a benzo. Being non habit forming is the best par . I do get headaches and fatigue but it is better then the side effects associated with benzo. I recommend this to anyone looking for a non addictive alternative to zanex"

Jessika N March 18, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I'm returning to Buspar after seven years off. Started having chronic anxiety attacks again after my wife's hysterectomy. Wish I could remember my old dosage. I tend to be drug sensitive and the 30 mg. dosage made me fuzzy. The PA that did this script was a little overzealous. Doing well on just the 15 mg. even if it is a self-adjusted dosage. After a few weeks I can have a talk with our MD and he'll probably leave it at 15 or 20."

MerricMaker (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2016