Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 5 reviews 21 medications

6.8
Summary of Buspirone reviews 301 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

Review by happy2015:

For Panic Disorder: Currently on week 2 and it made me feel like myself again. Anxiety/panic attacks have ruined my life the last 2 years. My first panic attack was purely physical (POUNDING heart I thought I was dying) roommate took me to the ER. The next week I was prescribed metoprolol and saw a cardiologist who suggested it was anxiety as I didn't believe it was. Eventually the anxiety took my life over and manifested mentally as well (running out of grocery lines, skipping work, etc) I'm a little distracted here but all in all buspirone is a life saver. I forgot what it felt like to be ME again. I now mentally feel amazing, the depression that dug into my life from the anxiety made me a shell of myself. I can honestly say buspirone saved me from myself.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2015 11:57 PM

Review by Shay2015:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: First off. Side effects.... Brain zaps. Pounding heart, foggy feeling. First 3 weeks I felt the need for a lot less Ativan. The worry stopped and blood pressure came down . I'm on 5mg per day. Around week 5 I started to notice my blood pressure going back up. Acid reflux and a little nausea. Pounding heart back. I don't want to give up on buspar because I was so happy to lose the everyday worry. On week 7 now. Still at 5mg. Thinking about doing 5mg twice a day. There is no magic pill, but this was close.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2015 8:56 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Eating more , not a lot of energy . It seems to take a while to work

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2015 5:22 AM

Review by Mp5405 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I've had social anxiety since high school and was put on Zoloft, which never worked. I eventually developed panic attacks when I was 26. I've tried Xanax for a few days after I was diagnosed and hated it. Was put on Celexa 20mg and did not see any improvement after a year. I learned to self manage and handle my anxiety attacks and knew that I wasn't going to die. I went for a few years like this until I got medical insurance. I went to the Dr. After reading reviews on Buspirone and asked if she thought it'd help with my anxiety. I took 7.5 twice a day for the first 2 weeks and noticed almost immediate (about 30 mins) relief. Yes it does make you dizzy for a few weeks but nothing you can't handle. Give it 6 wks and you'll love it!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2015 3:20 PM

Review by Missy1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I've been taking it for about 6 weeks now. We started with 5mg 3 times a day then went up to 20mg 3 times a day. I have so many different stressors in my life I was having episodes that would last a couple days at a time. Strange behavior, feeling really strange, couldn't concentrate or finish tasks, etc. So my Dr started me on effexor at first, it had terrible sexual side effects, so we went with buspiron. I haven't had any of those spells since I've been on it. I think my 3rd dose needs to be taken with dinner, for the past couple weeks I've been taking it at bed and I think its adding to my insomnia. Overall its been good.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2015 11:30 AM

Review by buby1231242424t5asdg (taken for less than 1 month):

Vanspar (buspirone) for Anxiety: It has made me irritable, socially awkward, has not helped my anxiety, makes me light-headed a for a bit after I take it, and gives me the general sense that something is "off"

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 10:21 PM

Review by amy gi:

For Anxiety: I've been on Buspirone for about six months for anxiety. I take 10 mg twice a day. It has done absolutely nothing for me. I might as well be taking a sugar pill.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2015 1:01 AM

Review by Gri20 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I've been on this medicine for about 7 months. I started at 5 mg and I felt great! But around the 4 months I got worse and ended up increasing my dose to 30 mg and now I feel even more better then before! The only side effect I experienced was a slight brain zaps but they go away after a week or two. This medicine has helped me so much I recommend this medcine!

March 15, 2015 4:40 PM

Review by kikidee (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: So far it hasn't helped much with the anxiety... it's actually made it worse. My hands tremble and I feel like I'm walking on the deck of a moving ship. Making an appointment with my doctor to discontinue and find a new med, as this one is freaking me out.

March 11, 2015 2:35 PM

Review by Jamrom324:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I was on Buspirone with my Paxil. It worked well with the Paxil. However, it did not work at all by itself. I had to quit taking Paxil, due to an interaction with my seizure medicine. The Buspirone made me have anxiety, and everytime I took it, I felt like my brain was getting shocked with electricity.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2015 11:34 AM

Review by MissADH (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I've only been taking Buspar for a few days, and I haven't noticed any anxiety. But the side effects make me sick as, but are temporarily, and I think mine are magnified because I'm on so many medications. So far it works and is also used for sex dysfunction, which has helped my sex life with my partner. To each their own. Definitely do not drive on this medication.

March 5, 2015 1:30 PM

Review by Whitneigh:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I started on Effexor, that medicine made me sick, and nauseated. My Dr decided to put me on Buspar instead. This medicine made my anxiety so much better! And the side effects are very minimal, I only get a little light headed for a short time, but that's so much better than being sick to my stomach. This stuff has really helped me get through a rough time.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2015 12:58 PM

Review by MickeyMighty:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: My panic disorder started very gradually. At first it was a slight panic that lasted for a min or two when I was driving, then it slowly intruded into my life. At some worst points I was unable to sleep for a week. I might be able to doze off for an hour or two, and then I'd wake up with a racing heart. Buspar helped at first, I was only on 5mg for five months, never went up in dose. After about 5 months, stressful events like job interviews pretty much made this med ineffective for me. I really liked this med as it had no side effects for me. No dizziness or nausea or "brain zaps". My doctor put me on Paxil instead. Just started it, but it seems to be working. My pulse is still about 20 beats above my normal rate, but it doesn't bother me.

February 13, 2015 2:56 PM

Review by A-non:

For Anxiety: This medicine worked for the first 4 months, but then my anxiety suddenly got worse that Buspar doesn't help!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2015 5:48 AM

Review by Btothenyc:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Besides getting dizzy haven't noticed any effect.

January 31, 2015 8:51 AM

Review by ..........:

For Anxiety: This medication has been wonderful for me and my anxiety. As soon as I took it I felt better right away. When I first started I was on 10 mg 2x daily. I was having trouble sleeping and when I woke up in the morning I would have to go to my moms house as early as 5am because I would freak out at home. I would be ok all day without panic once I took my pill so my doctor told me to try it 3x a day and added Xanax. I took this medication as soon as I woke up along with a Xanax and was able to stay home and not run to my moms and the anxiety was almost non existent. Taking the medicine 3x instead of 2 made a big difference along with one Xanax in morning and one at night to help me sleep. Had No side effects.

January 29, 2015 11:05 PM

Review by MaryCalmDown (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: I have been on a combination of medicines to include 45mg Buspar a day for about a year. I used to take Ambien or some other sort of sleeping aid every night as that is when my anxiety was the worse. Now I take an aid about once a week so I am happy with my results. I started out not believing at first but my doctor kept telling me to give it time and I'm glad I did. I did not see results for the first two months as I was increasing my dosage.

January 27, 2015 6:48 AM

Review by Beckylg:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Been on BuSpar over a month and it does not help me at all, actually makes my anxiety worse and I have been much more irritable. Can't wait to try something else. I have also gained 5 pounds in the short time I have been on it. That adds to my anxiety.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 9:38 AM

Review by Checkerberry (taken for 1 to 2 years):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: The best medication I've taken thus far for anxiety. I'm on 60 mg/day split into two doses of 30. Non addicting, no sexual side effects, in fact this is amazingly free of any side effects that I have experienced. I have been on Klonopin in the past and overall I have to say that this has been the best for my anxiety and social phobia. The medical community is all too quick to disregard this medicine as ineffective. Its a safe medicine. You're not losing anything by at least giving it a trial. Its the only med that's worked well for me after trying countless SSRIs, and a few psych meds of other classes. Good luck.

January 16, 2015 6:14 PM

Review by Just call me A:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have been on this medication for 3 years now - I think I need to up the dose because it is not working that well however it saved my butt a few years ago when something traumatic happened. My dr told me take it and give it 6 weeks and then all the panic and anxiety stopped- it's everything from hypochondriac to 24 hour a day worry about job, health, kids and everything else- I do think it is a lifesaver - I went from 5mg 3x a day to 2 5mg 2x a day - maybe I should go back.

January 5, 2015 10:07 PM

Review by glassygirl (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I've been taking 15 mg 2x/day with good results. My social anxiety has improved and I am sleeping much better. I have been taking Ambien almost every night for the past 4 years and now down to less than 1x/week. That to me has made it worth it.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2014 12:41 PM

Review by Jason5279:

For Anxiety: This medication did not improve my depression or anxiety at all. I was on dosages from 15 to 60 mg, as an add on to Lexapro and it made no difference. I finally switched to mirtazapine and already felt a lot better the next day.

December 7, 2014 4:37 PM

Review by bstyll:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I'm on week 7, I thought would wait until the effects kicked in to write a review. Regarding the side effects, mild nausea and lethargy for a short while after taking the medication, nothing to avoid taking the pill for. As for the results, very mild, but I notice a difference. I speak more clearly and confident to people and I overall am less anxious. One big thing, my constant worry about my health has subsided. I am 31 and live a healthy life bit I get a stomach ache and think I have colon cancer. These thoughts I laugh at now. I recommend taking this. Only 8 stars because it is not a cure all, only you can be.

214 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by Racing Turtles (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I've been taking Buspar for a month, following a period of elevating anxiety that was turning my life into a joyless state of constant worry and anxious, obsessive, unhelpful thoughts. My psychiatrist warned it would take 4-6 weeks to notice any improvement - I noticed significant improvement within *hours* of pill #1 with minor and bearable side effects. At other low periods, I was medicated for depression without benefit, and sometimes terrible side effects (Prozac: auditory hallucinations; Celexa: crazy hot flashes). Unfortunately I seem to be noticing decreasing benefit. I have been taking just 7.5 mg/day so today I doubled to the full 15mg I was prescribed. Hope it works! This medicine has given me real hope.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2014 10:12 PM

Review by Stef138:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I started taking Buspar about a year ago for anxiety/panic attacks. I've taken benzodiazepines in the past but having an addictive personality, I had to stop those. Buspar saved my life. I have no fear, paranoia, or low self esteem anymore. I used to feel like the world was out to get me and that I was being judged by everyone no matter where I went. I used to have the most crippling social anxiety too, I'd avoid social situations because the anxiety was so bad. Luckily Buspar erased all of that for me. Anxiety still creeps up here and then but it is absolutely nowhere close to being as bad as it was before. No side effects. I love it and will take it for a long time. At first I did get headaches but they went away a couple days later. Love it.

185 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 7:47 PM