User Reviews for Alprazolam

Also known as: Alprazolam Intensol, Niravam, Xanax, Xanax XR

Learn more about Alprazolam.

Dysautonomia 3 reviews 53 medications

Depression 68 reviews 78 medications

8.6
Summary of Alprazolam reviews 760 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Alprazolam

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "Tried this for a few days to help with anxiety instead of my usual Klonopin, at bedtime. Do not just switch to another benzo without transitioning. Had bad nightmares all night and was a wreak the following days. Might be good for some people, and maybe more for daytime anxiety but definitely didn't help my sleep (even when taking a higher dose than I normally do of Klonopin). On a side note, don't rely on benzos long-term (> 1 month). You will quickly dig yourself a hole as tolerance inevitably builds and your sleep and mental state will be worse than when you started. Been on benzos for > 2 years and I'm slowly reducing mine and it sucks pretty bad. Get on something safer and non-tolerance building. The sooner the better."

brett84c (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

For Anxiety: "Even though this is a monitored medication, when taken CORRECTLY it will make a world of difference. Before my dr.Rxd me Xanax I would not go to the store,pay bills,outside..even my mail was neglected BC I didn't wanna see ANYONE and I didn't wanna see or talk to them. After I was placed on Xanax,those fears went away.I think it's WONDERFUL for anxiety when used CORRECTLY!"

sopranofan (taken for 10 years or more) April 11, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I've been taking low dose .5mg xanax for a few years for social anxiety and occasional panic attacks. It's excellent. I take it as needed, which I like, it lets me feel more in control. I rarely take a full dose. It's very effective even in a lower dose. It just lets me keep anxiety under control so I can function well. I never notice any major fogginess or anything with it either unlike other benzos I've taken like ativan. Just in moderation. A little goes a long way. Absolutely great medication for anxiety and occasional severe panic attacks. It has completely helped me build my confidence up and get my life back!"

RonnyW April 8, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I suffer from anxiety and mood swings much of it is work stress related, Xanax has worked wonders for me no habit I have not experience any side effects and I don't believe is habit forming, I only take it as needed, I always keep them with me just in case I suffer a panic attack, I greatly recommend it."

Liz10 April 6, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I have been on Xanax 1mg TID since 2013. This has been a miracle drug for my anxiety. I also take Celexa 40mg daily in combination with Xanax. Within minutes of taking my prescription, I feel a tremendous amount of stress relief. I normally take 2 at bedtime and sleep straight through the night and never wake up groggy. I feel refreshed each morning, and get ready for work. 2 thumbs up for this medication. Those that abuse it, you give patients who truly suffer from anxiety and depression a bad name."

linzxo (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 2, 2016

For Tinnitus: "I've has ear ringing on and off for 30 years...well never off, but sometimes more severe than others. Last weekend I copped 4 .5 mg xanax's from my gal, took em Sunday night. Today is Friday...yesterday, Wed and Tuesday the ringing was the worst it's ever been and I'm sure it's from xanax..not withdrawal really, just from xanax. I used to take valium and maybe that's how I got ear ringing in the first place. It's almost gone today...ill never take another xanax."

Den33 April 2, 2016

For Anxiety: "after suffering of panic of having 2nd attack and any pain makes me feeling going to die my doctor made a 2nd stent after 8 months of the 1st stent and I was still panicing and scared my cardiologist prescribed xanax 0.5mg twice daily I am on it for about 17 days now it is helping me so much"

DR.Shokry (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

For Anxiety: "I received a prescription for this years ago and barely used it for the intended purpose (stress-induced stomach problems). That had been correctly diagnosed as something else. I kept the bottle in the cabinet for a long time without ever using it. I was always however someone who periodically dealt with clinical depression and anxiety which at this point in my life is situational. In these instances, this drug is an amazing relief. Whether it is public speaking or dealing with heavy grief, I take comfort in knowing this is available to me. The trouble is convincing my doctor as I have zero interest in a maintenance drug such as an SSRI. I have never had any intention of taking it every day. Usage: 1/2 mg as needed for extreme anxiety."

Anon101c (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 31, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I had only taken Xanax a few times as needed and losing it (oops). Sometimes it works right away with calming me down and everything, but this one time I was a mess and it took a while to work. But, on the bright side, I have very bad insomnia and it made me sleep better. I do not take it as a sleepy aid, that was just one instance where it was night time."

Kurai (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "It's so great to have something that finally works for me! It's fast acting and takes away my insane thoughts and brings me back to reality quickly .. My worries go away and i can feel like a normal person. I've been on ativan, clonazapam... And paxil and effexor in my younger days... The ativan did nothing .. The clonazapam was OK but is much better for sleep. The paxil and effexor were nightmares and had horrible side effects . I would never take that kind of medication again. I take 1-2 mg xanax when I get an attack or intrusive thoughts and it's the best thing for me ! I become a rational thinking person again.. And couldnt be happier to have something that really works. It's really improved my life."

Ninny13 March 28, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I began taking xanax at 1mg daily spread out over the day when diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I have had it 3 times now so have been on this medication for 6 years. It controls my anxiety and panic or fearful thoughts mostly. It's been extremely helpful and my doctor knows I keep my dosage as directed. Very beneficial for me but it took a long while to overcome the stigma. Life is to valuable to waste feeling bad.!!"

Catstail (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 26, 2016

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "Still use a regular Xanax at times when things get bad but the XR is amazing for those times where I can't afford the drowsiness. XR is just a nice steady dose to take the edge off and no side effects. Would recommend."

Tripoli March 21, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I have GAD, PTSD, Adult ADD, Bi-polar & crippling panic attacks aka Panic Disorder. I was diagnosed with panic disorder at the age of 7. It ruins my life. I took klonopin for 7 years threw middle and high school. It worked okay but I always felt like something else could work better. I have been on Prozac, cymbalta, latuda, visteril, lexapro, Effexor, amnitriptalyne, celexa, Paxil, lyrica, neurontin, depakote, seroquel and risperdal. Nothing EVER worked. I finally am on a routine of; 40mg Prozac, 25mg amnitriptalyne, 40mg adderall a day, .5mg klonopin 4X daily, .5mg of halcion for insomnia. My doc recently changed me to 1mg Xanax 3X daily and it has been a lifesaver. I don't feel like a zombie and my mood has evened out!! Love it so much."

kshaw2012 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I started taking this medication since I was 18 years old on and off. Let me put it in simple terms it is highly addictive. Yes it cured my anxiety but temporary only as long as I was on it. Miss a day and you want to crwal out of your own skin. The withdrawls are horrendous. Xanax just masks the problem. As soon as I got back on it my brain just wants it and thats all I think about. Valarian root is healthier and natural think twice before taking Xanax. Go for natural products if you can."

Sassyone6085 March 17, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: "If I could rate Xanax higher I would, this is without a doubt the most effective medication I've ever taken for anxiety, and fast acting. I've always dealt with the public speaking anxiety since high school. I'm 29, healthy and active and have never been depressed so that's why I've been reluctant about SSRI's. My GP prescribed Celxa, went up to 20mg and it was a nightmare, had panic attacks and very vivid intrusive thoughts. My GP switched to lexapro @10mg and I still get panic attacks. If I get a panic attack I take a .50mg of Xanax and it takes like 15 min to kick in and I feel great - I hate SSRI's and wish Xanax was a daily med."

Bushygoodness March 15, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I get anxiety attacks with nausea (GAD diagnosed) and use half a .25 tablet during an attack. I'm pretty drug sensitive and also leery of overuse. I'm way under recommended dosage of one full .25 tab every six hours, but it takes the edge off my rushing thoughts of worry at half of one every 12-16 hours as needed. I was without anxiety attacks for 7 years and had a very old prescription that I used when my attacks returned. FDA has to list an expiration date but 80-90% of the drug was still active."

MerricMaker (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 12, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: "I agree with everything that has already been said here. I am just so incredibly grateful that I was able to build a trusting relationship with my doctor so that HE feels comfortable prescribing it. Xanax really is the only thing that helps me untangle myself when the anxiety takes over. What I love the most is that I can count on it to do the job and not leave me feeling strange later. It just smooths out the wrinkles and kinks that I get into every so often. Just knowing that I have it in my cabinet to lean on is in itself a big help for me - my secret tool. Yes, it's a shame something so helpful to us is abused, but that is with everything in life. Be happy we aren't Guinea pigs anymore with the crappy meds :-)"

Gr8smile March 10, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "I had horrible anxiety from 14 to 21 then i got prescribed xanax .25 and my life changed i was going out with friends didnt care about little things like what people think of you it was great then at 23 i decided im good i dont need it anymore and had 4 months of hell getting off im mow 29 and ive delt with the anxiety everyday and it got easier but was still a small burdan couldnt be me something was missing i just got back on it a few weeks ago and now ive worked harder then ever i was promoted to asistant manager within 2 weeks of starting back xanax everyone told me how they noticed my confidence in everything and i take control of stressful situations as i work in the food business suddenly im the go to guy at work i work 50hours aweek"

aaronax March 10, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I've been struggling with severe anxiety and depression since I was a child. I've tried everything for anxiety: lexapro, Celexa, Effexor XR, Prozac, and Xanax. It's been the only medication that has really saved my life from this illness. Otherwise, if I don't take it, I won't be able work or live. I know that there is so much stigma about how it's addicting and it's abused. If you genuinely have a serious anxiety disorder, don't focus on the stigma. Take them! Or try to live the severe anxiety. You sort of have to pick your poison. I have never abused xanax. I started taking Klonopin for about a year, and was switched to xanax. I've always taken my medicine as prescribed. Right now, I'm taking .25 mg and it does wonders for me."

Overcomer31 March 9, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've been on benzos for the past 3 years. I got started on Diazepam 5mg 3x daily for about 6 months. Worked good, but stopped working pretty quickly. Then got bumped up to Diazepam 10mg 3x daily, same results, 6 months later..felt like I was taking nothing. Then my doctor mentioned Alprazolam, he put me on 1mg 3x daily along with Wellbutrin. The Xanax worked GREAT, but I've always had bad reactions to SSRI's. So my doctor got me off the Wellbutrin and put me on Alprazolam 2mg 2x daily.. I've been on the same dose for over a year and a half..and has worked perfectly. Great medication. But it does have the potential for abuse/addiction. Be careful with that because Withdrawal from any benzo is horrific."

AlpraZolaM2mg (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2016

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "Instead of the ups and downs of short-acting Ativan (1mg X 5 times a day).....Xanax XR seems to take the edge off so I can enjoy life without the hamster wheel and tooth clenching, etc...."

Jeff Generalized Anxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2016

For Dysautonomia: "Helps keep me calm so I'm not having around-the-clock panic attacks."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "Way too addictive. Very expensive in my country, and gives me extreme vivid dreams/nightmares. But the mellow feeling is nice after a panic attack. Stops dead on track panic, and almost any emotional crisis. But I prefer to stay away. I changed to Klonopin."

corvohunter March 1, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have anxiety & used Valium first to help anxiety as well as sleep Dr started me with 5mg 4x a day for 2 years. It helped but then I built up a tolerance and then 10mg 4 x a day was fine and worked but notice a tolerance again so then after 20 years changed me to alprazolam and wow big difference. I was prescribed 2 mg sticks 4 x a day 120 a month! At first only need 2 a day then shortly I'm on 4 pills 8mg a day and no side effects, powerful at first now almost fell like I need more. But wanted to cut down its been 30 years in benzo's and keep hearing about withdrawal from the drug? I go a week sometimes without the drug and don't feel any symptoms. Any suggestions"

Tonyvig78 February 26, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I started out Valium for about 20 years 10 mg x 4 a day. Used for anxiety and sleep. It worked was a comfort to know most of the time used 2 per day so I always had extra. I think knowing I had extras help almost as much. Then Dr changed prescription to alprazolam 2 mg tablets 4 times a day, some heavy difference, at first it worked well . In the beginning I felt it 30 minutes after I took it and only needed 2 per day, now I'm at 4 per day that's 8 mgs and I don't feel it , I don't know about withdrawals but I hear it's pretty hard to get off and I've been on them for 30 years. Not sure what to expect but think I would feel more alert and energetic too"

James1663 (taken for 10 years or more) February 26, 2016