User Reviews for Alprazolam

Also known as: Alprazolam Intensol, Niravam, Xanax, Xanax XR

Learn more about Alprazolam.

Dysautonomia 2 reviews 54 medications

8.6
Summary of Alprazolam reviews 592 reviews 9.1

Reviews for Alprazolam

Review by Educator28:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: Very good for insomnia and stress which leads to depression. No side effects.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2013 6:47 PM

Review by Frances Phenomenol:

For Anxiety: Helps me tremendously on an as needed basis to relax. I feel great and back in control of my life when I take them. They help me to achieve more during the day and to sleep at night when I have a panic attack or anxiety. Valium is the only comparable medicine for anxiety and stress relief.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2013 6:35 PM

Review by MedScienceStudent (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Anxiety: My psychiatrist had me on 2mg Xanax IR as needed daily. I have severe anxiety and had tried Ativan, Klonopin, Valium, ect. None of them seemed to work. Finally, I found that Xanax did. Unfortunately, Xanax isn't a long-acting drug. I was finding that being on such a high dose of IR that I was having to take it even when I didn't need it for anxiety but just to keep from having withdrawals. I was miserable until I was prescribed 2mg Xanax XR twice daily. It does pretty well to control my severe anxiety, racing thoughts, and OCD! I do still take 1mg Xanax IR as needed if I'm having a hard day with my anxiety or if I have a panic attack. All in all, I recommend trying this medication for treatment of moderate to severe anxiety disorders.

November 11, 2013 3:41 AM

Review by come to understand (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: I developed depression and anxiety after having Cancer.I have tried many other meds but Xanax in small daily doses is the only thing that works for me. I work closely with my doctor and never abuse my dosage. I am thankful for this medication. Only problem is feeling guilty for needing to use it. I hear so many negative comments from others who are not informed about this condition. Any suggestions on how to just accept it and go on ?

November 3, 2013 3:19 PM

Review by ms me:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: The first time I took Xanax was when I was having dental work and it was prescribed for the acute anxiety I feel with dentists. This past year my regular doctor suggested I might like to take it from time to time because of depression and anxiety. It helps tremendously. I usually break the .25 mg pill in half and just take half of one. I do not use it every day, but when I need it, it's wonderful and gets me to the next day.

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2013 9:12 AM

Review by anonymous251 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I take Xanax very rarely with Lexapro as my primary anxiety med. Xanax works perfectly to knock out secondary panic and anxiety symptoms, the best as needed anxiety med on the market. I don't recommend it as your primary anxiety med though, too addictive.

October 26, 2013 7:58 PM

Review by Korks:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: Out of all the benzodiazepines I think that Xanax (alprazolam) is the best for me, acts quick & does what it says, just be careful & if you are going to ask your Dr. For them I recommend maybe starting out a smaller dose and work up from there. If that doesn't work, the reason is, after a bit you get a little immune to strength & can bump up in dosage if this happens, unless you have a high tolerance, then maybe start at 1 mg, that way you can still move up if that doesn't work, but I recommend starting small & moving up in dosage if needed.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2013 4:31 PM

Review by Daleh30354 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Tinnitus: 1 year ago (Sept, 2012) First serve in doubles tennis, hit me behind right ear; tinnitus ever since. As little as 0.125 Mg of Xanadu "tones it down".

October 18, 2013 1:14 AM

Review by LB40 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: Take 1 or 2mgs at one time, as needed, for panic attacks. Most of the time I will have a panic attacks, for no reason or triggers. For Some panic attacks I do have a trigger. Large Crowds, NO WAY. People I know, that haven't seen in years. The only medicine that helps with panic attacks! I take Valium 10mgs, four times daily. Anxiety and panic attacks are different. Panic effects your whole day. Anxiety attacks, the Valium is in my blood.

October 11, 2013 2:34 PM

Review by steffie1 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Anxiety: 25 years, 3-4 1mg tabs a day, 5 neurologists prescribed over years.. Only medication (only) that works for my situation. Tried many others, they all failed. Anxiety/depression way too bad. MS/husband in nursing home, terrible childhood, 4 psychiatrists, used to take more got it down to 3x 1mg a day.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2013 9:44 AM

Review by Bearcat315 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: Xanax nullifies panic attacks within minutes. This is one of the best medications to treat panic disorder. It works fast but also wears off fast. It's good for acute anxiety

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2013 5:08 AM

Review by Timber75:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I started out on Valium 5 mg 4 times a day when I was 22 due to petit-mal seizures. The doctors said my anxiety was causing my blood pressure to go out the roof. At age 29 had a heart attack due to anxiety making my BP so high I was in V fib. Now at age 38 I'm taking Xanax 2 mg 3 times a day. For me all the antidepressants cause some kind of stimulation hat makes my anxiety worsen so I stopped the SSRI's. It is working for now but I fear what happens when this doesn't work anymore what am I going to do. So tired of having anxiety and panic disorder. I don't think too many doctors understand what a profound problem this causes in ones life. So really express how you really feel to your Doc.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2013 2:35 PM

Review by Dannnypist:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: I've had panic attacks for over 10 years I do not know what triggers them I don't know when they're going to occur but they do on a daily basis. The only medication that I ever had that truly worked was Xanax. This is the true panic disorder medication and should not be taken lightly because your body does become accustomed to it. Example after using it for a year I noticed I needed to increase my medication. I went from 0.25 mg milligrams 2.0 mg milligrams every 4 to 6 hours. Use wisely.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2013 3:24 PM

Review by frog lady (taken for less than 1 month):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I have severe anxiety including social anxiety that confines me to my apartment 95% of the time. I also suffer from trichotillomania where my anxiety is so bad I pull my hair out. Have had this for 20 years and all the shrinks could not help me. I am 32 years old and just recently have been put on Xanax 0.5mg 3 times daily as needed. Well the first week I slept and slept, which is good because I wasn't sleeping before. I also have bipolar disorder and severe depression. Pristiq helps a little but I am allergic to everything else. Xanax slows down my racing thoughts so I can think clearer and make decisions easier and is helping with the hair pulling but am still desperately searching for help with that and have not found it.

September 25, 2013 1:12 AM

Review by Sirisha reddy:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I have had a very emotional ups and downs in life and after getting married 15 years ago my life became more hectic. 10 years ago when I lost my cousin; I had panic attacks and I became hypochondriac. I took Anxit(Xanax) 0.25 to 0.5 mg twice a day. I stopped all of a sudden after an year and did not notice withdrawal symptoms as depression was somewhat like part of life dealing with people. Now recently, I started having very bad panic attacks and I almost stopped going out alone as I was scared to go out alone and my panic was of heart attacks and death by sudden reasons etc; for the past week I again started taking Anxit 0.25mg once in morning and night. I am fine and happy for the past week and I want to continue same dose.

September 24, 2013 12:43 PM

Review by betteroff ohio (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: I have been on many other anxiety/panic disorder medicines. Tried Zoloft, Buspar, etc. Been on Xanax 1 mg 3x daily for about 10 yrs, but as my situations changed going to multiple panic attacks feeling as if appending doom due to attacks my doc has me on the 2 mg Xanax 3 times a day with diazepam (Valium) 10 mg 2x daily and Vistaril in between doses to prolong the medicine. I have seen my life do a big turn around! And I use Restoril a sleep aid to get me through the night because I would awake in the night with an attack. I understand these are benzodiazepines with the exception of the Vistaril. It's hard to find a doctor willing to accommodate that but it does work. Taken properly I have next to no attacks thanks to my understanding doctor. Only thing that works.

September 14, 2013 12:40 AM

Review by Tommy1226:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: Best medicine I ever been put on. Started off with two 0.05mg a day then to five 0.5 a day, and I'm Down to Three 1.0 MG a day and it's starting to not work as good. So I need to talk to my doctor and up the dose to at least 4 or 5 MG for my really bad anxiety and depression!

September 12, 2013 1:25 AM

Review by Di V:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: No side effects besides drowsiness. It puts me at a calm to help me think clearer.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2013 4:39 PM

Review by dirtmagnethobbit:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: If taken as directed, this though short lasting medication, is a very effective treatment for the prevention and release from panic and anxiety attacks.

September 7, 2013 7:48 AM

Review by mbellew:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I have a very stressful life. After my mother passing in 2005, I started having major anxiety. It truly was debilitating my entire life. My Dr put me on 0.05 mg twice a day to help. It was the BEST thing I ever did. I have been on them for 8 yrs now's. I'm 32 and a mother of 4. There are days when I really feel the anxiety peek and I take one. Its the only thing that will work within 15-20 mins. It really has helped me tremendously. I can take my meds as prescribed and still am able to take care of home, kids and work feeling normal. I would suggest this for anyone how has anxiety or panic attacks or tons of stress.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2013 1:06 PM

Review by JaSw0427:

For Anxiety: I have always been uncomfortable in situations where the focus could suddenly turn to me. I knew 6 months prior to my wedding that I wanted to see a doctor about this. He first put me on Celexa 10mg then 20mg. I lost all sexual desires with that. My doctor then switched me to Lexapro 10mg which was a little better for me than Celexa but still didn't fix my anxiety problems completely. Still being on Lexapro my doctor prescribed me 0.25mg alprazolam 1-3 / day as needed and let me tell it worked so well for me! I had to experiment with the doses before my wedding to know what amount was right for me. I found that when I took 2 pills (0.5mg total) my anxiety levels went down almost completely. My wedding day couldn't have been better!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2013 8:47 AM

Review by Patient730 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: This medication helped me with my anxiety problems after years of trying other medicines that did not help me at all.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2013 3:42 PM

Review by sisjo:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I'VE taken Xanax prescribed by my Dr for almost 2 yrs and I think its great for nerves, anxiety and good sleep. I take it at night and sleep sound all night and in the morning get up refreshed. I'm an insomniac so the help sleeping is amazing. I give it a 10, just stick with the dose the Dr. prescribes.

August 27, 2013 3:05 PM

Review by Loving Panama:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: Not only does a 0.5mg shut down racing thoughts and anxiety it reduces depression. Been on every other antidepressants out there with awful side effects. Don't need to take it every day.

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2013 6:18 PM

Review by low low:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: If I don't take it my skin feels like something is biting me and I itch all over I get very agitated and I can't sleep or sit still or focus my attention for a normal amount of time

August 20, 2013 11:54 PM