User Reviews for Alprazolam

Also known as: Alprazolam Intensol, Niravam, Xanax, Xanax XR

Learn more about Alprazolam.

Dysautonomia 2 reviews 53 medications

Depression 61 reviews 76 medications

8.6
Summary of Alprazolam reviews 669 reviews 9.1

Reviews for Alprazolam

For Anxiety: "Calms me down, allows me to focus at work and not dwell on my depression and anxiety. I am currently on 0.5mg twice a day and have noticed it is not effective as it was at beginning of treatment. I have appointment next week to review with my doctor where he may have me take 1 mg twice a day. Glad I am finally seeing light at end of tunnel after 20 years of claustrophobia and depression."

lisarene729 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I noticed my memory was very much affected on Xanax. This is the quickest working benzo in my opinion, but does not last long. Also, the withdrawals from Xanax were more severe than the withdrawals from the other benzos I've been on. It works great for some people, but not so much for me."

StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 5, 2014

For Anxiety: "In my experience, alprazolam can be extremely effective against anxiety, considerably addictive, and can easily create tolerance if the dosages are not carefully managed. It should not be used as a sleeping aid, since it tends to lose its hypnotic effects after some time of continuous usage. To avoid the tolerance and addictive issues, I recommend people to only take alprazolam in or before moments of anxiety. For cases of social anxiety, I recommend one to take alprazolam, 2 hours before social interaction. The dosage is, in my view, subjective, thus one should discover his optimal dosage, on an incremental basis. I personally take 1 to 1.5mg, 2 hours before leaving home, and then sustain it throughout the day with 1mg individual dosages."

Male_24_Caucasian (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "Acts very quickly and definitely feel the calming effect. The only downsides is that it doesn't last very long (2-3 hrs max, maybe even less) and you quickly build up a tolerance for it so you end up having to take much more the more you use it."

Jundibasam (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2014

Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "Just started taking this medication. It made me feel better right away just still have to continue taking it or I will catch another panic attack anxiety attack and depression. I don't need that to happen in my life. I'm going to just continue taking this new medication."

Elena soler (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "Only benzodiazepine that worked completely. Been on all the others. Have tried antidepressants with negative results. So at the correct dose. Alprazolam is what I consider the hardest working anxiety and stress reliever available."

Anonymous November 22, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: "This is the best medicine out there. It makes me a better person. I love it. I have anxiety and depression and this is the only thing that makes me tolerable to be around. Levels me out and makes me happy."

amv518 November 20, 2014

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "Great for anxiety. However, only recommend using short term. I've gone through opiate withdrawing as well as benzo withdraws, and benzo withdraws are far worse. Never felt more suicidal...use with caution..."

notomatot31 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 15, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "I have been taking Xanax 1MG twice daily as needed to help cope with my severe panic disorder and anxiety attacks, which have been impacting my sleep schedule drastically. Take the correct oral amount daily, and you will see positive results in no time! If you feel like your having complications, contact your doctor immediately! Everyone's tolerances are different!"

JG-Swam (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I have been on Xanax for a few years due to my anxiety discover. This tablet which I only take a quarter of when it is necessary which doesn't happen very often has helped me sleep and calm down. My sister has terminal cancer. It also helped me go through tough events."

angelmax (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2014

For Panic Disorder: "Works real fast,for breakthrough anxiety,or panic attacks..saved my life."

chuck1957 (taken for 10 years or more) November 8, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I take this medication as needed. I take 150 mg Effexor daily, which helps with the majority of my depression and anxiety, but I take Xanax when I need to take the edge off. I was recently prescribed this, and I have only had to use it twice, while flying (I go into full panic mode). I took an entire pill 30 minutes before my flight and it made me relax right away. I have never been able to sleep on a plane (even during international flights), but it calmed me down to the point I fell asleep during both flights. It didn't even bother me during take off when the pilot had to slam on the breaks due to a cargo light. This medication does make me sleepy, though I have not taken half a dose so far. My panic attacks are not as frequent as some."

Lexxa November 6, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "I have a panic disorder and have been taking Xanax for over 20 yrs now. Never had to increase my dose and finally can live a normal life. The doctor had tried all different medications and this is the only one that worked."

eyakalot October 29, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "I've had severe panic attacks for most of my life. At first I began with 0.25mg of regular Xanax (IR) as needed, but found that I would feel it wear off. I now take 0.5mg of Xanax XR every morning, and it has been a complete life changer. I also struggle with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and Xanax XR has also helped lessen the symptoms of both of those as well, which I was not expecting. Xanax XR completely helps the racing thoughts, helps me stay in the moment, and overall helps me feel calm and at ease."

Ellie01 (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "Been taking it for 2 years and it gets me through anxiety attacks."

Dp3000 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 17, 2014

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Works very well for me."

hookahmama (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 11, 2014

For Anxiety: "My doctor tried me on a few anti anxiety meds prior to Xanax. I wish it didn't take so long because nothing helps me better than this. Not only has it improved my life positively (when I'm taking it) but It helps with a variety of stresses - we are only human and I believe No matter how pure your life is sometimes you just need a Xanax. It can be addictive so I do not recommend taking it daily or in large doses."

Miss Trina (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 11, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: "I was prescribed Xanax because my half brother died and I could not cope with it alone on just taking Pristiq for depression. Taking both of these medicines has really reduced my depression tremendously to where it only affects me a little now and not so many days in a row. I'd really like to stay on Xanax with my other antidepressant medication Pristiq 100mg because its helping a lot!"

Wayne George (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2014

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "I used to live with severe panic attacks and overall always full of anxiety.This medication works so well that I feel very normal again.The nightmares, shaking, nausea, panicking, sweaty and restless feeling and anxiety all stopped.I highly recommend this medication for people who genuinely need a Benzodiazapene to regulate the central nervous system.Make sure you don't abruptly stop taking them though as you will feel extremely ill! Do keep your DR. informed of any side effects.They are pretty mild, however can cause weight gain and lower sex drive."

Alex J. October 1, 2014

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "i have been on and off Xanax since its release in the '80's. Two years I attempted to wean myself off. My reasoning was that 0.25mg twice a day was too much and I was still panicking. After 3 days I had a full panic attack. Took 1/2 of a Xanax and called my M.D. He said that he did not know what to do. I called a psych. I continued on the o.25 mg twice a day. I continued to be panicking and paranoid. He placed on Xanax 0.5mg XR in morning and 1mg XR at bedtime. I feel so much better. I continue to worry about withdrawals, but having to take two pills a day is no big deal if you have ever had an attack. I also did not try to hide the fact from people I thought who would find me flawed for taking Xanax. This was freeing."

MoMa46 September 27, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: "awesome"

valii September 26, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "Just got prescribed 0.5mg of Xanax. Within a half hour the intrusive thoughts and panic attacks stopped. Taking sparingly, only when needed. Definitely a good thing to take at your worst moments, but not good for regular use."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2014

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Anxiety: "I have daily anxiety and was on Ativan for a while and while I loved the Ativan I was looking for something longer acting - my psychiatrist tried me on Xanax XR 0.05mg. For me, this medicine is a God send. In the beginning when I first starting taking it I did notice some slight dizziness and 'weird' feelings but I stuck with it and once it regulated in my system (about 3-4 weeks) I feel totally normal and calm on it with zero side effects. I have since upped my dose to the 1mg Xanax XR twice daily if I need it, but some days I only take one pill to get me through the day and deal with the anxiety at night since I'm home and then take a pill in the morning like normal. My advice would be to start it on the lowest dose and work your way up."

Girl25 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: "I have panic disorder and Xanax has helped me greatly. The only problem that I have experienced is that I have become resistant to it. Rather than .25mg helping, I need to take 3 to calm down. My doctor only allows me 30 .25mg pills per month, so I'm petrified that at some point, I am going to have an attack after I have run out of meds."

Feline1978 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2014

For Panic Disorder: "I use alprazolam since 1999 and feel good. I have a quiet life. Psychiatrists in Puerto Rico do not want to prescribe Alprazolam and affects many people. I used 4 mg and now only use 2mg."

Gio40 (taken for 10 years or more) September 3, 2014