User Reviews for Alprazolam

Also known as: Alprazolam Intensol, Niravam, Xanax, Xanax XR

Learn more about Alprazolam.

Panic Disorder 158 reviews 19 medications

Dysautonomia 2 reviews 54 medications

Summary of Alprazolam reviews 601 reviews 9.1

Reviews for Alprazolam

Review by cat bird (taken for less than 1 month):

For Tinnitus: My ears were ringing like crazy, I was almost to start break down and cry, but I was reading on one guys experience on how to best the ringing and everything he went thru I was going thru so I stsrted to do exactly what he said is to tune it out cause the more you think about it the worse it gets because with titinus you csn become your own worst enemy. So I keep reading on other testimonials and read alot of people took zanax and it seemed to quite the ringing down. So I had a zanax 0.5mg took it also because I couldnt sleep, the next day I woke up with a slight ringing and as the day progressed it went completely away Thank the lord.I truly believe that this oh s a condition thats related to the nrevous system there is s cure out.

January 16, 2014 4:44 PM

Review by MotoMisfit:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: As far back as I can remember, kindergarten I think. I've suffered from major anxiety issues. I can remember throwing up in the trash can by the entrance to Jr. High School, and through High School even. I could then, and can now make my hands sweat just by thinking about it. When I finally got on Xanax, I was far more outgoing, funny, and learned there was a whole side to me I didn't really know existed due to Anxiety. My point is.......don't wait! Talk to some one who can help you with Anxiety if you have it. And BE HONEST! Tell them how hard it is for you!!

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2014 9:19 PM

Review by Cera (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I started taking Xanax in 2007- my daily dose was up to 4mg daily as needed. I finally felt that I had my life back. In 2013 we moved to AZ and the 1st Dr I saw here discontinued it, cold turkey. A few others were drastically cut back and stopped without any warning. I must say it has been difficult.

January 2, 2014 1:52 AM

Review by zigzag333 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: This was the first medication I was prescribed for anxiety, panic attacks, post traumatic stress disorder, and a few other problems I had going on at the same time. I started taking 1mg once per day, then 1mg twice per day... this worked well for quite a while. Then I changed to 2mg once per day and after several months went to 2mg twice per day. I took this for about 4yrs. total and had no nightmares, seldom had racing thoughts, the panic attacks stopped pretty much all together after the first week or two, and this also kept the general anxiety at bay as well. The only problem was that if you have no insurance or discount card it's very expensive! I had to go to 10mg valium 3x daily at 1/3 the cost, but wish I could still afford the XR's because they work well!

December 21, 2013 10:12 PM

Review by Bandg47 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: Xanax is the best when taken only as needed and not on a daily basis. Nothing else comes close. Just be cautious and it can be used over a longer period of time if not abused. It has worked for me that way.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2013 9:56 AM

Review by BB port elizabeth:

For Panic Disorder: I have been on alprazolam for over 6 years - dose 1mg x 3. I do not have any stress, panic or anxiety but daily fight with the brain crying for this medicine. I have terrible headaches so take medicine for that. I would love to get off these tabs as it causes dependence, I am worried about. Doctor tried cutting dose to .5 mg x3 a day - could not cope - they then brought in an SSRI and after first dose, had the worst side effects so stopped that straight away.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2013 8:21 AM

Review by Brooder (taken for 10 years or more):

For Anxiety: I've had severe anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, and agoraphobia for 13 years. I was on Valium, 10mg twice a day. I've tried Ativan and Klonopin too. Xanax is the only one that actually helps me feel normal. Within 15 minutes of taking it, I can begin to feel it start calming me down. This is excellent when you're facing a panic attack. No side effects, other than sleepiness. I can actually get out of the house when I take these. Having agoraphobia is no fun at all. Whenever I want to go somewhere, I will take my Xanax around 30 minutes prior to leaving. If you suffer from anxiety, or any of the things mentioned, this med will help you out tremendously!

November 30, 2013 4:26 AM

Review by lucky nj (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: Between being at 3 terrorist attacks 911, Madrid and the 1st Trade center I have had severe panic attack and depression. Xanax is a great cure for the craziest things that life throws at you.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2013 9:41 PM

Review by WhiteRook (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: Xanax was a Godsend in the short term. Nearly immediate peace from all anxiety and panic symptoms. The longer I took it though, the more problematic it became. Constantly increasing dose for effectiveness, switching formulations. Finally addiction, dependence - didn't matter if it was called this or that. Discontinuing Xanax was painful. Like weeks long, restless, climbing the walls, no sleep. I'd still call it useful in a low dose, well supervised situation.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2013 9:39 PM

Review by Educator28:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: Very good for insomnia and stress which leads to depression. No side effects.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2013 6:47 PM

Review by Frances Phenomenol:

For Anxiety: Helps me tremendously on an as needed basis to relax. I feel great and back in control of my life when I take them. They help me to achieve more during the day and to sleep at night when I have a panic attack or anxiety. Valium is the only comparable medicine for anxiety and stress relief.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2013 6:35 PM

Review by MedScienceStudent (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Anxiety: My psychiatrist had me on 2mg Xanax IR as needed daily. I have severe anxiety and had tried Ativan, Klonopin, Valium, ect. None of them seemed to work. Finally, I found that Xanax did. Unfortunately, Xanax isn't a long-acting drug. I was finding that being on such a high dose of IR that I was having to take it even when I didn't need it for anxiety but just to keep from having withdrawals. I was miserable until I was prescribed 2mg Xanax XR twice daily. It does pretty well to control my severe anxiety, racing thoughts, and OCD! I do still take 1mg Xanax IR as needed if I'm having a hard day with my anxiety or if I have a panic attack. All in all, I recommend trying this medication for treatment of moderate to severe anxiety disorders.

November 11, 2013 3:41 AM

Review by come to understand (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: I developed depression and anxiety after having Cancer.I have tried many other meds but Xanax in small daily doses is the only thing that works for me. I work closely with my doctor and never abuse my dosage. I am thankful for this medication. Only problem is feeling guilty for needing to use it. I hear so many negative comments from others who are not informed about this condition. Any suggestions on how to just accept it and go on ?

November 3, 2013 3:19 PM

Review by ms me:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: The first time I took Xanax was when I was having dental work and it was prescribed for the acute anxiety I feel with dentists. This past year my regular doctor suggested I might like to take it from time to time because of depression and anxiety. It helps tremendously. I usually break the .25 mg pill in half and just take half of one. I do not use it every day, but when I need it, it's wonderful and gets me to the next day.

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2013 9:12 AM

Review by anonymous251 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I take Xanax very rarely with Lexapro as my primary anxiety med. Xanax works perfectly to knock out secondary panic and anxiety symptoms, the best as needed anxiety med on the market. I don't recommend it as your primary anxiety med though, too addictive.

October 26, 2013 7:58 PM

Review by Korks:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: Out of all the benzodiazepines I think that Xanax (alprazolam) is the best for me, acts quick & does what it says, just be careful & if you are going to ask your Dr. For them I recommend maybe starting out a smaller dose and work up from there. If that doesn't work, the reason is, after a bit you get a little immune to strength & can bump up in dosage if this happens, unless you have a high tolerance, then maybe start at 1 mg, that way you can still move up if that doesn't work, but I recommend starting small & moving up in dosage if needed.

October 18, 2013 4:31 PM

Review by Daleh30354 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Tinnitus: 1 year ago (Sept, 2012) First serve in doubles tennis, hit me behind right ear; tinnitus ever since. As little as 0.125 Mg of Xanadu "tones it down".

October 18, 2013 1:14 AM

Review by LB40 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: Take 1 or 2mgs at one time, as needed, for panic attacks. Most of the time I will have a panic attacks, for no reason or triggers. For Some panic attacks I do have a trigger. Large Crowds, NO WAY. People I know, that haven't seen in years. The only medicine that helps with panic attacks! I take Valium 10mgs, four times daily. Anxiety and panic attacks are different. Panic effects your whole day. Anxiety attacks, the Valium is in my blood.

October 11, 2013 2:34 PM

Review by steffie1 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Anxiety: 25 years, 3-4 1mg tabs a day, 5 neurologists prescribed over years.. Only medication (only) that works for my situation. Tried many others, they all failed. Anxiety/depression way too bad. MS/husband in nursing home, terrible childhood, 4 psychiatrists, used to take more got it down to 3x 1mg a day.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2013 9:44 AM

Review by Bearcat315 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: Xanax nullifies panic attacks within minutes. This is one of the best medications to treat panic disorder. It works fast but also wears off fast. It's good for acute anxiety

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2013 5:08 AM

Review by Timber75:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I started out on Valium 5 mg 4 times a day when I was 22 due to petit-mal seizures. The doctors said my anxiety was causing my blood pressure to go out the roof. At age 29 had a heart attack due to anxiety making my BP so high I was in V fib. Now at age 38 I'm taking Xanax 2 mg 3 times a day. For me all the antidepressants cause some kind of stimulation hat makes my anxiety worsen so I stopped the SSRI's. It is working for now but I fear what happens when this doesn't work anymore what am I going to do. So tired of having anxiety and panic disorder. I don't think too many doctors understand what a profound problem this causes in ones life. So really express how you really feel to your Doc.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2013 2:35 PM

Review by Dannnypist:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: I've had panic attacks for over 10 years I do not know what triggers them I don't know when they're going to occur but they do on a daily basis. The only medication that I ever had that truly worked was Xanax. This is the true panic disorder medication and should not be taken lightly because your body does become accustomed to it. Example after using it for a year I noticed I needed to increase my medication. I went from 0.25 mg milligrams 2.0 mg milligrams every 4 to 6 hours. Use wisely.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2013 3:24 PM

Review by frog lady (taken for less than 1 month):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I have severe anxiety including social anxiety that confines me to my apartment 95% of the time. I also suffer from trichotillomania where my anxiety is so bad I pull my hair out. Have had this for 20 years and all the shrinks could not help me. I am 32 years old and just recently have been put on Xanax 0.5mg 3 times daily as needed. Well the first week I slept and slept, which is good because I wasn't sleeping before. I also have bipolar disorder and severe depression. Pristiq helps a little but I am allergic to everything else. Xanax slows down my racing thoughts so I can think clearer and make decisions easier and is helping with the hair pulling but am still desperately searching for help with that and have not found it.

September 25, 2013 1:12 AM

Review by Sirisha reddy:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I have had a very emotional ups and downs in life and after getting married 15 years ago my life became more hectic. 10 years ago when I lost my cousin; I had panic attacks and I became hypochondriac. I took Anxit(Xanax) 0.25 to 0.5 mg twice a day. I stopped all of a sudden after an year and did not notice withdrawal symptoms as depression was somewhat like part of life dealing with people. Now recently, I started having very bad panic attacks and I almost stopped going out alone as I was scared to go out alone and my panic was of heart attacks and death by sudden reasons etc; for the past week I again started taking Anxit 0.25mg once in morning and night. I am fine and happy for the past week and I want to continue same dose.

September 24, 2013 12:43 PM

Review by betteroff ohio (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: I have been on many other anxiety/panic disorder medicines. Tried Zoloft, Buspar, etc. Been on Xanax 1 mg 3x daily for about 10 yrs, but as my situations changed going to multiple panic attacks feeling as if appending doom due to attacks my doc has me on the 2 mg Xanax 3 times a day with diazepam (Valium) 10 mg 2x daily and Vistaril in between doses to prolong the medicine. I have seen my life do a big turn around! And I use Restoril a sleep aid to get me through the night because I would awake in the night with an attack. I understand these are benzodiazepines with the exception of the Vistaril. It's hard to find a doctor willing to accommodate that but it does work. Taken properly I have next to no attacks thanks to my understanding doctor. Only thing that works.

September 14, 2013 12:40 AM