User Reviews for Alprazolam

Also known as: Alprazolam Intensol, Niravam, Xanax, Xanax XR

Learn more about Alprazolam.

Dysautonomia 2 reviews 54 medications

8.6
Summary of Alprazolam reviews 613 reviews 9.2

Reviews for Alprazolam

Review by Cal~ (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I have to start by saying that I'm fearful of medications for starters, secondly I have dealt with anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia for many years now! I'm not housebound but do have a small neighborhood radius of "comfort". I have in the past felt shamed of my condition as I thought I was unique and alone and somewhat embarrassed to try to explain my irrational feelings and thoughts, which I have learned since that they are entirely "made up" and thoughts lead to feelings that lead to behaviors all of which can be undone with the help of medicine, therapy, relaxation techniques, journaling, diet, exercise and not being afraid to open up about your anxiety. You are NOT alone! Learn to RELAX it WORKS.

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2014 3:28 PM

Review by sopranofan (taken for 10 years or more):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I've been on a variety of different benzodiazipines for about 16 years now for anxiety, Agorphobia and even insomnia and I have to say Xanax is by far the most effective. I've been on Valium, Klonopin, Ativan and even SSRI'S and none helped me the way Xanax did. Ativan did absolutely nothing, Valium was "decent"(I'd give it a 5) because of its long acting qualities and Klonopin made me tired all the time. Only with Xanax can I lead a normal, productive life. Without that medicine I would not be able to hang out with friends, go to the grocery store, go to the mailbox, associate with my family ...these are all triggers of my anxiety. Even answering the phone! I've taken 2mgs two times daily now for the past 7 years and it works great!

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2014 2:48 PM

Review by ItsYourLove (taken for less than 1 month):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I have always struggled with worry, stress, and anxiety and recently have gone through some really difficult situation. My doctor diagnosed me with panic attacks and prescribed me a low dose of Xanax to take when needed. I take half a pill because I am afraid of developing a habit and hate relying on medications. This really does work and helps me a lot. I have only needed it a few times.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2014 4:39 PM

Review by IWizardofOz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I have anxiety for a long time, taking Zoloft for it since 99 not sure how much it helps, but when I get really bad I take Xanax .25mg, it does help quickly. My only thing on Xanax, I wished that it wouldn't be habit forming and because of that, you may need to make dosage higher and higher after .25mg. Also recommend checking for interactions with Xanax if you are taking any other medicines.

February 15, 2014 1:43 PM

Review by Danny's Lady (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I asked my doctor if he could give me something as I had been under stress and anxiety for some time. I take 0.5 mg of Xanax twice a day. I take it about 1/2 hour before I go to bed so I can relax and sleep. Not sure if the Xanax is causing some weight gain or not.

February 12, 2014 2:54 PM

Review by Alive and well.:

For Anxiety: I was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma when I was 36. Kidney Cancer. Luckily it was found by accident and very early. Stage 1. It was the best possible diagnosis you can get when you are told you have cancer. My Grandmother (78) died of cancer. My mom (57) died of cancer, My dad (68) had skin cancer which was removed and now my sister-in-law (47) was diagnosed with stage IV Ovarian cancer and has been doing chemo and will have surgery tomorrow (Feb 12, 2014). To say I have anxiety is a huge understatement. I am in remission. It's been 6 years. There isn't a moment that goes by where I don't think about cancer. It came to a point where I couldn't get out of bed. Xanax has changed my life. I can move on and live.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by Jome:

For Anxiety: Had a massive asthma attack...ambulance...two days in hospital. Now wake up every morning thinking I can't breathe. Just 0.25mg alprazolam an hour after I get up, I'm okay. Two 0.25mg if really anxious. Just take in the morning and am fine for the day.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2014 9:10 AM

Review by Harrold_haisma (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: I have been on Xanax for about 8 months after a very difficult period in my life. Xanax helped me very well in the beginning of threatment but quickly tends to lose its beneficial effects. The development of tolerance is a major issue with all benzodiazepines and seems to build fast with Xanax / alprazolam. I had to increase my dose from 0.5 mg twice a day to 2 mg three times a day. Tapering off can be difficult.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2014 1:40 PM

Review by Myinput:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Tinnitus: Lifesaving. Was completely nonfunctional before being put on it. I understand the risks but the risks of disabling tinnitus were 1 million times worse. This medicine needs to be studied further as I also agree that severe tinnitus related to sudden sensorineural hearing loss is a brain condition. I tried a million things beforehand (steroids, steroids injected into ear, hyperbaric oxygen, etc.) Xanax saved my life.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2014 5:50 PM

Review by SapphireBeast67:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: I had a breakdown in my doctor's office after my Klonopin stopped working. She said I needed something stronger for my daily panic attacks as I could not even function at my part time job that was only three days a week. I am on 2mgs twice daily. It's affordable and helps like no other medicine I've tried. I take it with chamomile tea to relax if I've had a stressful day. Or if things get too hectic at work I may take half of one. It also cured my insomnia. I feel like a normal person now.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2014 9:26 AM

Review by Piam (taken for 10 years or more):

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I was in car accident, brain damage, 10 years ago and been almost since on Xanax I love them they help me daily and nightly.

January 20, 2014 8:35 PM

Review by reima lehtonen (taken for 10 years or more):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: This is only what helps me.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 10:04 PM

Review by cat bird (taken for less than 1 month):

For Tinnitus: My ears were ringing like crazy, I was almost to start break down and cry, but I was reading on one guys experience on how to best the ringing and everything he went thru I was going thru so I stsrted to do exactly what he said is to tune it out cause the more you think about it the worse it gets because with titinus you csn become your own worst enemy. So I keep reading on other testimonials and read alot of people took zanax and it seemed to quite the ringing down. So I had a zanax 0.5mg took it also because I couldnt sleep, the next day I woke up with a slight ringing and as the day progressed it went completely away Thank the lord.I truly believe that this oh s a condition thats related to the nrevous system there is s cure out.

January 16, 2014 4:44 PM

Review by MotoMisfit:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: As far back as I can remember, kindergarten I think. I've suffered from major anxiety issues. I can remember throwing up in the trash can by the entrance to Jr. High School, and through High School even. I could then, and can now make my hands sweat just by thinking about it. When I finally got on Xanax, I was far more outgoing, funny, and learned there was a whole side to me I didn't really know existed due to Anxiety. My point is.......don't wait! Talk to some one who can help you with Anxiety if you have it. And BE HONEST! Tell them how hard it is for you!!

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2014 9:19 PM

Review by Cera (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: I started taking Xanax in 2007- my daily dose was up to 4mg daily as needed. I finally felt that I had my life back. In 2013 we moved to AZ and the 1st Dr I saw here discontinued it, cold turkey. A few others were drastically cut back and stopped without any warning. I must say it has been difficult.

January 2, 2014 1:52 AM

Review by zigzag333 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: This was the first medication I was prescribed for anxiety, panic attacks, post traumatic stress disorder, and a few other problems I had going on at the same time. I started taking 1mg once per day, then 1mg twice per day... this worked well for quite a while. Then I changed to 2mg once per day and after several months went to 2mg twice per day. I took this for about 4yrs. total and had no nightmares, seldom had racing thoughts, the panic attacks stopped pretty much all together after the first week or two, and this also kept the general anxiety at bay as well. The only problem was that if you have no insurance or discount card it's very expensive! I had to go to 10mg valium 3x daily at 1/3 the cost, but wish I could still afford the XR's because they work well!

December 21, 2013 10:12 PM

Review by Bandg47 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: Xanax is the best when taken only as needed and not on a daily basis. Nothing else comes close. Just be cautious and it can be used over a longer period of time if not abused. It has worked for me that way.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2013 9:56 AM

Review by BB port elizabeth:

For Panic Disorder: I have been on alprazolam for over 6 years - dose 1mg x 3. I do not have any stress, panic or anxiety but daily fight with the brain crying for this medicine. I have terrible headaches so take medicine for that. I would love to get off these tabs as it causes dependence, I am worried about. Doctor tried cutting dose to .5 mg x3 a day - could not cope - they then brought in an SSRI and after first dose, had the worst side effects so stopped that straight away.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2013 8:21 AM

Review by Brooder (taken for 10 years or more):

For Anxiety: I've had severe anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, and agoraphobia for 13 years. I was on Valium, 10mg twice a day. I've tried Ativan and Klonopin too. Xanax is the only one that actually helps me feel normal. Within 15 minutes of taking it, I can begin to feel it start calming me down. This is excellent when you're facing a panic attack. No side effects, other than sleepiness. I can actually get out of the house when I take these. Having agoraphobia is no fun at all. Whenever I want to go somewhere, I will take my Xanax around 30 minutes prior to leaving. If you suffer from anxiety, or any of the things mentioned, this med will help you out tremendously!

November 30, 2013 4:26 AM

Review by lucky nj (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Panic Disorder: Between being at 3 terrorist attacks 911, Madrid and the 1st Trade center I have had severe panic attack and depression. Xanax is a great cure for the craziest things that life throws at you.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2013 9:41 PM

Review by WhiteRook (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Xanax (alprazolam) for Anxiety: Xanax was a Godsend in the short term. Nearly immediate peace from all anxiety and panic symptoms. The longer I took it though, the more problematic it became. Constantly increasing dose for effectiveness, switching formulations. Finally addiction, dependence - didn't matter if it was called this or that. Discontinuing Xanax was painful. Like weeks long, restless, climbing the walls, no sleep. I'd still call it useful in a low dose, well supervised situation.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2013 9:39 PM

Review by Educator28:

Xanax (alprazolam) for Depression: Very good for insomnia and stress which leads to depression. No side effects.

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2013 6:47 PM

Review by Frances Phenomenol:

For Anxiety: Helps me tremendously on an as needed basis to relax. I feel great and back in control of my life when I take them. They help me to achieve more during the day and to sleep at night when I have a panic attack or anxiety. Valium is the only comparable medicine for anxiety and stress relief.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2013 6:35 PM

Review by MedScienceStudent (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Xanax XR (alprazolam) for Anxiety: My psychiatrist had me on 2mg Xanax IR as needed daily. I have severe anxiety and had tried Ativan, Klonopin, Valium, ect. None of them seemed to work. Finally, I found that Xanax did. Unfortunately, Xanax isn't a long-acting drug. I was finding that being on such a high dose of IR that I was having to take it even when I didn't need it for anxiety but just to keep from having withdrawals. I was miserable until I was prescribed 2mg Xanax XR twice daily. It does pretty well to control my severe anxiety, racing thoughts, and OCD! I do still take 1mg Xanax IR as needed if I'm having a hard day with my anxiety or if I have a panic attack. All in all, I recommend trying this medication for treatment of moderate to severe anxiety disorders.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2013 3:41 AM

Review by come to understand (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: I developed depression and anxiety after having Cancer.I have tried many other meds but Xanax in small daily doses is the only thing that works for me. I work closely with my doctor and never abuse my dosage. I am thankful for this medication. Only problem is feeling guilty for needing to use it. I hear so many negative comments from others who are not informed about this condition. Any suggestions on how to just accept it and go on ?

November 3, 2013 3:19 PM