User Reviews for Xanax

Depression 53 reviews 77 medications

8.6
Summary of Xanax reviews 483 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Xanax

For Anxiety "My psychiatrist prescribes me 15 Xanax 0.5mg per month. I have generalized anxiety disorder and depression, and am on other meds for that; Xanax is only for extra-stressful situations. It is incredibly effective. Within minutes of taking it, I am much calmer. I notice no side effects whatsoever."

Serene Celine (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I was diagnosed with Cervical Dystonia in 2000 a little after a car accident. I went back to work and worked fast and hard as usual and the dystonia got worse. Shortly after, I developed panic attacks. Dr. prescribed generic xanax and it really helped. I don't remember how much it was- 2005. The xanax not only took the panic attacks away but my neck pulling would go away for a long time. Since 2013 dystonia came back w/vengance. No one has prescribed xanax and keeps prescribing crappy medications-Baclofen, flexiril and now Atarax. I'm scared to take the Atarax. I know xanax works and I only used it maybe 4 times a month. No habit forming for me. Kids ruined it for folks that need it :("

Raquelsc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 5, 2016

For Anxiety "I've used Xanax twice in my life--once when one of my children died and later when I was divorced. The drug works as advertised, relieving anxiety in an extremely short time. 12 years ago I was prescribed 0.5 mg three times a day and it really worked. However, it is very easy to get comfortable taking these. I stopped cold turkey after about a month with no withdrawal, but I could just have easily become very dependent. It's a great medication if you use restraint and only take it when necessary. My current doctor tells me that he tells his patients that 3 0.5 mg tablets is the maximum they should take every week. It's great but be careful!"

Anon 80 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2016

For Anxiety "I have generalized anxiety disorder and several other mental illnesses, so I am on a combination of medications. Xanax is one of the best of the bunch. I only get fifteen 0.5mg pills per month, for use only in stressful situations. Works like a charm every time. Within fifteen minutes my anxiety and panic symptoms are well under control. No side effects whatsoever. I know the danger of addiction is very real, but as long as I use my Xanax sparingly, I see no reason to ever stop taking it. I also take Tenormin, Neurontin, Ambien, Buspar, and Remeron."

Serene Celine (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 27, 2016

For Anxiety "I have been on Xanax for about 30 years now. I have suffered with anxiety since I was a child and depression later in life. I started out only taking 0.5 mg a day, even going for periods of time without taking it at all, and then over the past 15 years I have graduated to only 1.5 mg a day. I feel no need for an increase. I suffer with all the usual anxiety symptoms, but one symptom that is most annoying is the choking sensation I feel in my throat. I believe I carry my stress and worries there. When I take Xanax, it takes this terrible feeling away. I find it extremely difficult to get a doctor to prescribe me this medicine as I moved to another state. The people who abuse this drug make it extremely difficult for those of us who need it."

lamb1111 (taken for 10 years or more) January 16, 2016

For Anxiety "Hello everybody. I'm only giving Xanax a 1 out of 10 because it doesn't seem to have any effect on me. I've been getting it every month for a few years. I started it back when, after taking Paxil for a decade, it started to decrease its effectiveness and my anxiety and panic attacks were beginning to re-appear. My psych switched me to Effexor, and while we were figuring out the best dose in combination with Buspar, I was desperate to have a fast-acting solution to the panic when I felt it coming on. He gave me Xanax, but it didn't help with the overwhelming anxiety unless I took a few of them, and even then the improvement was minimal to moderate. When I found the magic dosage amount with the Effexor my anxiety all but disappeared.."

Mikek1 January 11, 2016

For Depression "My doctor threw every anti depressant medication my way they ALL made my depression worse to the point I had suicidal thoughts and tendencies. My mother had it with the Drs changing my dose and meds so finally she gave me some of her own prescribed xanax. She gave me a .25 when I had my bad day about 7 days out of the month now as needed. I also have nervous habits, anxiety. When she started giving me the xanax I was 17. Before I would cry hysterically for hours on end. As soon as I tried xanax it all went away. No more mood swings my depression went way down only having a few issues a month when I was untreated. I am now 28 and I use it maybe 4-6 times a year and I use oils the others. I highly recommend not using it continuously."

gethelptoday January 11, 2016

For Anxiety "I started on Xanax after the birth of my second child for post partum anxiety. I used Ativan after my first baby but my new doctor wanted me to try Xanax. I thought it worked great at first. .25 my 4 x a day. Most days I only took 2 or 3. My baby developed colic issues and my husband was working 60 -70 hours a week so I had no help and was going crazy from no sleep and endless hours of non-stop crying so they upped my dose to .5 mg 3 x a day. Things calmed down around 3 months so I tried to cut back down but ended up with severe panic attacks and shaking, etc. Even when I take my regular dose on time I am still struggling with increased heart rate, shakiness, irritability, etc. Hoping to switch meds or something at my next appointment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2016

For Anxiety "I started taking Xanax over ten years ago for my anxiety. I started with .5 mg twice a day and ended up at .5 mg every 4 hours and still felling like I needed more as I was addicted. I had one heck of a time weaning off. I now take 1/2 of a .25 mg tablet every 3 to 4 hours when needed for my tinnitus. It works to lessen the anxiety caused by the constant ringing in my ears and I try some days to take it only once or twice. It has worked great for me but I suggest being very conservative with your dosing because it is very easy to build a tolerance and form an addiction."

D in NM January 7, 2016

For Anxiety "I suffer from moderate, sometimes severe anxiety. General life stress, such as my job (bad bosses), my kids arguing over any & everything, etc... I've been on Xanax (alprozolam) for about 2 years on & off. Recently I've started experiencing panic attacks with psychotic features (self-diagnosing here) and as soon as I take a .5mg Xanax tablet, I'm fine within 5-10 minutes. This little tablet has been a lifesaver for me."

Landonsmommy14 January 4, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I have been taking Xanax for about one month now, and my life has drastically changed. I get really bad hot flashes and when I started taking this I noticed immediate results. One huge tip I have is to eat really healthy, and also on days where you have time take xanax and go workout hard. Run on the treadmill, lift weights, or swim. With all these things incorporated into my life I am much happier, have my social life back and I am able to show my natural talents without the fear of doom."

Lovelyso January 4, 2016

For Panic Disorder "If I could give Xanax more stars, I would. I have Panic Disorder and during college, panic disorder with mild Agoraphobia. After being prescribed Xanax, whenever I felt the onset of a panic attack emerging, this medication would save me from spiraling into a cycle of uncontrolled panic.My agoraphobia is gone. I would only recommend taking it as needed. I couldn't be happier with my results and I can live a normal life knowing I have my 'security blanket' if I need it."

panicbegone (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 3, 2016

For Depression "My wife uses Xanax. She is bipolar II. She has a lot of depression and anxiety but not much hypomania. She takes two 1mg when she is having a really bad day which is about every other day. It knock her out for about four hours. Often times she will wake up and then about 4 hours later, she needs to take another Xanex. It helps in emergencies but does nothing for the underlying cause of her severe depression and anxiety. I'm glad it's there for emergencies though. I wish it did something to decrease the frequency of emergencies."

Swpo January 1, 2016

For Anxiety "All started when I was about 18 years young. All typical symptoms - racing thoughts, palpitations, high blood pressure, dizzines, fear, choking feeling, chest tightness, fear of death and many other unbearable things which happens when anxiety becomes uncontrollable! Over the years I have had my good days and my bad days. Sometimes to a point where I don't want to live anymore, but then comes good days and to live is the thing I want the most. For those dark moments when close to panic xanax has really helped me! It gets me a bit calmer straight away, and then I can start breathing excercise and other little things which help to calm down. Without xanax I honestly wouldn't know what to do!"

EduardsR December 13, 2015

For Anxiety " xanax forums are full of how xanax can be so strong for some people. to me it was like a sledgehammer over my head. I woke 6 hours later with no recollection of what went on other than I slept. this was a low dose. It is either panic or been knocked out. Where are all these pleasant experiences I hear about?"

Neme December 11, 2015

For Anxiety "I've been suffering from General Anxiety Disorder for over 30 years. I was on Lexapro which was controlling my anxiety wonderfully. I was laid of from my job after 28 years working there. I then found a new job but because it was change and new I had a massive panic/anxiety attack and quit the job after 3 days. My psychiatrist then prescribed Xanax along with the Lexapro. I was taking 40 mg of Lexapro and .75mg of Xanax daily, the combination has worked for the last 6 years. However now I have another new job and had another massive panic/anxiety attack. The combination of Lexapro and Xanax is no longer working. I am now trying 20mg of Brintellix and 3mg of Chlonopin. I'm hoping this works in order to keep my job."

salvatop December 8, 2015

For Anxiety "I've always suffer with anxiety, but I've been able to control it. I've been out of work for 3 weeks, with a phobia of going back, because I had a panic attack, & I was exposed, and people were watching. My secret was out. Rewind - 3 weeks ago I had a kidney infection, I was in the hospital for 5 days, home for 5 days, then went directly back to a stressful job. That's where it happened the attack.. people were surrounding me and causing me more stress, I was put back in the hospital. I'm now on buspar, and xanax. Buspar I have my negative thoughts on that, not sure it's helping or not dizzy spells. But the Xanax does help with the anxiety. It makes me super sleepy and groggy. I'm seeing a therapist and psychiatrist, pray 4 me"

mind your 2 cents (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2015

For Anxiety "Xanax simply stops to work when taken too long on a daily basis. At that point, one reaches "tolerance," and the medication is simply no longer effective at that dose. Many psychiatrists tend to keep prescribing Xanax and other benzodiazepines at this point (strong, addictive tranquilizers that lead to dementia and Alzheimer's) as maintenance meds. It is then up to you to realize how bad they are and wean yourself off them, going through years and years of dangerous withdrawal. The best solution is don't even start! XANAX: NOT EVEN ONE!"

BundangBear December 2, 2015

For Anxiety "I am giving it 10, because it simply works, and it's the best med out there for anxiety. Bad thing is.. it's very addictive . I have been taking it for almost a year now, on and off, 0.5 if I feel very anxious before going to bed. Yes withdrawals can be bad, but don't listen to all the bad things people say when going off, if you need it you take it.. My mother has been on this med for 10 years as prescribed. If you don't abuse it. You have no reason to be scared. Cheers A!"

Anxiousman91 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2015

For Anxiety "Thankfully I only took this med for a few weeks and at the lowest dose possible. I was taking .25 mg 2-3 times a day for a few weeks until my long term anxiety medication started to kick in. This medication truly does help for extreme anxiety and panic attacks but should only be used short-term. The use of this medication for any longer than a month on a daily basis is a recipe for disaster, this drug can be very addicting and is really hard to come off after long-time use. Luckily I researched this drug and knew this shortly after taking it so I was aware, because the doctors never informed me of the risks."

lionsgirl616 November 27, 2015

For Panic Disorder "Powerful and fast relief from Panic Attacks. I've had to carefully balance benzodiazepines because the higher the dose, the more likely I'll suffer withdrawal related rebound effects. Right now I'm at .5 mg x 3 as needed. I've been as high as 6mg. Less is more. Still, I've not found anything as effective as an alternative. Xanax just works, and fast."

Inzomnia (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 16, 2015

For Anxiety "I was having difficulty coping after the death of my husband. Xanax helped me to put everything into perspective which allowed me to face enormous challenges. I rarely ever felt slow from the low dosage, only calm."

Elise Power November 16, 2015

For Panic Disorder "I have been diagnosed with Panic Disorder, Hypochondria (Illness anxiety Disorder), an Eating Disorder, and Depression. All of the others stemmed mostly from the Panic Disorder. I was suffering so much that I could not function and became extremely agoraphobic to where I did not want to leave my room. I was scared to take medicine but it got to the point one day where I couldn't take it anymore and decided to give the Xanax my doctor gave me a try. It helped so much and I was finally able to calm down enough to think clearly. I got on Zoloft and continued taking Xanax until my anxiety and depression was manageable. Now I only need it every once in a while when the anxiety and obsessive thoughts get bad. Definitely helped me get on my feet."

bittybob141 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

For Anxiety "Its been 3 months now off Xanax ( was taking up to 4 mg a day for 2 years after brother killed himself) and I'm just now starting to feel like myself again. Coming off the xanax was the hardest thing I've ever done. I had to force myself to work and keep my job. I had good days and bad days (more bad than good). My symptoms were crazy. No sleep, headaches, shakes, twitching, pain everywhere, memory problems. If I knew how hard it is to come off benzo's, I never would have touched it. Short term use= ok. Stressful event=ok. If this helps one person, then yay. Please be careful! Don't end up detoxing off of a benzo and going thru hell for weeks or months. Research this med. Not fun!"

davycrocket (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 11, 2015

For Panic Disorder "I don't know how to explain the turmoil and suffering that I went through in the mid nineties even after a perfect childhood at 17 years old. I found myself 79 pounds in the hospital because I could not eat I could not sleep and I could not function, however misdiagnosed as an eating disorder and depression it took me quite a few times to even go to a doctor that noticed I may be a bit nervous. I bet that was an understatement. Because I keep getting slack about the medication I have tried kalanapin which brought me out like a teenager and did not work for me. I have tried valium which was way too strong for me. I have been on this medication for over 15 years and have never had to up my dosage not once and it still works. "

Amy Love (taken for 10 years or more) November 10, 2015