User Reviews for Xanax

Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax Review Summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Panic Disorder

"I started taking xanax when I was fifteen. I only take them when I have an anxiety attack and they are the only thing that helps. I am now 23 and still only take them as needed. They work within a short amount of time & soothe all symptoms even my muscle spasms."

cecesue (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 2, 2015

"I hear a lot of people saying the same thing about this being sort of like a miracle drug that is what my psychiatrist and dr call to. It is quite amazing how you can be going through a full blown panic anxiety attack and just not too long after taking xanax. It's like night and day. It's definitely good to have one of these on hand if you suffer from anxiety or panic disorder. Sometimes just knowing I have it and helps me. anyway 10 out of 10 very addictive but definitely works. As long as you're not popping them every couple hours I think most people on here will find that it works great.."

sactown916712 May 26, 2015

"It's amazing how many symptoms come about because of anxiety: chest pain, chest squeezing, dizziness, light-headed feelings, feeling faint, sweating, nausea, heart palpitations. I could go on. Xanax is practically a miracle drug. It stops most of these symptoms cold after about 45 minutes of taking it. You feel better, and you look back at one hour ago, and you're bewildered that stress and anxiety caused you to feel so badly."

Ken0808 May 14, 2015

"This medication is a real life saver for aviaphobics/clausterphobics with panic disorder. I find .25 mgs prior to boarding an then an additional .25-.50 as needed stops an attack in its tracks. This medication (coupled with relaxing music on my iPod )has given me the ability to conquer the anticipatory anxiety and the panic itself. I cannot recommend this medication enough for true panic disorder/panic attacks."

mzjs40 May 12, 2015

"Suffered from post traumatic stress disorder for over 17 years. This was the best thing to keep me from having anxiety, triggering a panic attack. Other meds made it worse. Especially if you take an antidepressant like Lexapro. Lexapro alone will not work. Together with the Xanax and Lexapro is the best combination for PTSD!"

pnuttdean (taken for 10 years or more) April 21, 2015

"I had the worst anxiety imaginable that manifested to agoraphobia and I was a prisoner for years. It's a long story but Xanax saved my life or rather gave me my life back. In any event, those that suffer daily anxiety or GAD (general anxiety disorder) are better off using an MOA inhibitor as a maintenance medication and Xanax as an emergency medication. I'm on effexor daily 150Mg. that took about 10 weeks to start working but when it did is too was a miracle. I did have side effects when I started but my doctor told me to "hang in there" because the side effects are usually just temporary and they were with the exception of weight gain in which I control with exercise and diet which gave me another side effect, better health!"

Whistlersgoo (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 15, 2015

"I'm tried other anti-anxiety meds., but Xanax is the only one that keeps my panic disorder in check, and I'm had several others prescribed that were no effective. I take 1 mg. 3Xdaily."

Bonniebleu (taken for 10 years or more) April 7, 2015

"I take a small dosage as needed and it's very helpful in keeping my anxiety under control."

BellaLuna003 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 5, 2015

"Xanax works almost immediately when I'm having a panic attack. I have tried a lot of different "newer" antidepressants and they always have weird side effects. Then the doctor says to keep taking them for weeks to work. "

MeSklawz January 25, 2015

"I have been on Xanax 1mg twice a day and it has been a God send. I suffer from panic attacks and actually had to be hospitalized, I was placed on Klonopin and then I was switched to Xanax first at 0.5 mg than to 1mg it's a wonderful medicine however be very aware of this medicine being very addictive."

BigMoma46 January 15, 2015

"I first started taking 0.25 mg. It worked like a miracle pill. I was also having trouble sleeping. I tried everything antidepressant, Ambien, Lunesta, Restoril you name it I tried it . Now after 3 hrs on Xanax I use a 1 mg pill before bed and I sleep like a rock and very rarely do I have a attack during the next day. If I do I take 0.25 mg and in 15 min I'm fine. For me it took care of both sleeping and panic attacks!"

Theresapillforthat January 14, 2015

"I had severe anxiety and panic attacks and have tried antidepressants that didn't work and gave side effects for not being the correct medicine. Wild thoughts, voices and fear consumed me. I started with 0.25 then slowly came off of it. Taking too long made me mentally slow. Tried tapering off and taking as needed until I worked through the fears and anxieties. Ultimately our minds are trying to make decisions, fighting ourselves and indecision creates mental turmoil that only we can correct by making a choice and moving forward."

Crystal Ball January 10, 2015

"30 years of Xanax at 1mg 3x a day. I miss the passion that my husband and I have but my body is numb. I have a my perfect husband so I pretend. Xanax will RUIN your sex life and take a lot from you if you take it for years like I have. They hardly work at all now and I am having lots of problems trying to stop. Beware because at first they are wonderful. "

jreppoh December 18, 2014

"I have been taking Xanax 1MG twice daily as needed to help cope with my severe panic disorder and anxiety attacks, which have been impacting my sleep schedule drastically. Take the correct oral amount daily, and you will see positive results in no time! If you feel like your having complications, contact your doctor immediately! Everyone's tolerances are different!"

JG-Swam (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2014

"I have a panic disorder and have been taking Xanax for over 20 yrs now. Never had to increase my dose and finally can live a normal life. The doctor had tried all different medications and this is the only one that worked."

eyakalot October 29, 2014

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Just got prescribed 0.5mg of Xanax. Within a half hour the intrusive thoughts and panic attacks stopped. Taking sparingly, only when needed. Definitely a good thing to take at your worst moments, but not good for regular use."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2014

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have panic disorder and Xanax has helped me greatly. The only problem that I have experienced is that I have become resistant to it. Rather than .25mg helping, I need to take 3 to calm down. My doctor only allows me 30 .25mg pills per month, so I'm petrified that at some point, I am going to have an attack after I have run out of meds."

Feline1978 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I take 0.25mg three times a day for panic attacks. I wish I could say Xanax stops the panic attacks completely, but it only lessons the symptoms until I feel okay enough to calm myself down with breathing exercises. Other than that--- Xanax is a miracle."

Cortneyrb July 8, 2014

"The only medication that stops my paralyzing panic attacks. Generally works within 10 minutes. Side effects are non-existent."

NotBillGates (taken for 10 years or more) April 27, 2014

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"A miracle pill for the worst of panic attacks. Nothing compares to the effectiveness of Xanax. "

Anonymous April 1, 2014

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Xanax for about 8 months after a very difficult period in my life. Xanax helped me very well in the beginning of threatment but quickly tends to lose its beneficial effects. The development of tolerance is a major issue with all benzodiazepines and seems to build fast with Xanax / alprazolam. I had to increase my dose from 0.5 mg twice a day to 2 mg three times a day. Tapering off can be difficult."

Harrold_haisma (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 5, 2014

"I had a breakdown in my doctor's office after my Klonopin stopped working. She said I needed something stronger for my daily panic attacks as I could not even function at my part time job that was only three days a week. I am on 2mgs twice daily. It's affordable and helps like no other medicine I've tried. I take it with chamomile tea to relax if I've had a stressful day. Or if things get too hectic at work I may take half of one. It also cured my insomnia. I feel like a normal person now. "

SapphireBeast67 January 28, 2014

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This is only what helps me."

reima lehtonen (taken for 10 years or more) January 19, 2014

"Between being at 3 terrorist attacks 911, Madrid and the 1st Trade center I have had severe panic attack and depression. Xanax is a great cure for the craziest things that life throws at you."

lucky nj (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 27, 2013

"Take 1 or 2mgs at one time, as needed, for panic attacks. Most of the time I will have a panic attacks, for no reason or triggers. For Some panic attacks I do have a trigger. Large Crowds, NO WAY. People I know, that haven't seen in years. The only medicine that helps with panic attacks! I take Valium 10mgs, four times daily. Anxiety and panic attacks are different. Panic effects your whole day. Anxiety attacks, the Valium is in my blood."

LB40 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 11, 2013