User Reviews for Xanax

Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax review summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Panic Disorder

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Just got prescribed 0.5mg of Xanax. Within a half hour the intrusive thoughts and panic attacks stopped. Taking sparingly, only when needed. Definitely a good thing to take at your worst moments, but not good for regular use.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2014 4:36 PM

Review by Feline1978 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have panic disorder and Xanax has helped me greatly. The only problem that I have experienced is that I have become resistant to it. Rather than .25mg helping, I need to take 3 to calm down. My doctor only allows me 30 .25mg pills per month, so I'm petrified that at some point, I am going to have an attack after I have run out of meds.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 3, 2014 10:05 PM

Review by Cortneyrb:

I take 0.25mg three times a day for panic attacks. I wish I could say Xanax stops the panic attacks completely, but it only lessons the symptoms until I feel okay enough to calm myself down with breathing exercises. Other than that--- Xanax is a miracle.

July 8, 2014 7:11 PM

Review by NotBillGates (taken for 10 years or more):

The only medication that stops my paralyzing panic attacks. Generally works within 10 minutes. Side effects are non-existent.

April 27, 2014 12:30 PM

A miracle pill for the worst of panic attacks. Nothing compares to the effectiveness of Xanax.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 8:11 AM

Review by Harrold_haisma (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on Xanax for about 8 months after a very difficult period in my life. Xanax helped me very well in the beginning of threatment but quickly tends to lose its beneficial effects. The development of tolerance is a major issue with all benzodiazepines and seems to build fast with Xanax / alprazolam. I had to increase my dose from 0.5 mg twice a day to 2 mg three times a day. Tapering off can be difficult.

February 5, 2014 1:40 PM

Review by SapphireBeast67:

I had a breakdown in my doctor's office after my Klonopin stopped working. She said I needed something stronger for my daily panic attacks as I could not even function at my part time job that was only three days a week. I am on 2mgs twice daily. It's affordable and helps like no other medicine I've tried. I take it with chamomile tea to relax if I've had a stressful day. Or if things get too hectic at work I may take half of one. It also cured my insomnia. I feel like a normal person now.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2014 9:26 AM

Review by reima lehtonen (taken for 10 years or more):

This is only what helps me.

January 19, 2014 10:04 PM

Review by lucky nj (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Between being at 3 terrorist attacks 911, Madrid and the 1st Trade center I have had severe panic attack and depression. Xanax is a great cure for the craziest things that life throws at you.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2013 9:41 PM

Review by LB40 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Take 1 or 2mgs at one time, as needed, for panic attacks. Most of the time I will have a panic attacks, for no reason or triggers. For Some panic attacks I do have a trigger. Large Crowds, NO WAY. People I know, that haven't seen in years. The only medicine that helps with panic attacks! I take Valium 10mgs, four times daily. Anxiety and panic attacks are different. Panic effects your whole day. Anxiety attacks, the Valium is in my blood.

October 11, 2013 2:34 PM

Review by Bearcat315 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Xanax nullifies panic attacks within minutes. This is one of the best medications to treat panic disorder. It works fast but also wears off fast. It's good for acute anxiety

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2013 5:08 AM

Review by Dannnypist:

I've had panic attacks for over 10 years I do not know what triggers them I don't know when they're going to occur but they do on a daily basis. The only medication that I ever had that truly worked was Xanax. This is the true panic disorder medication and should not be taken lightly because your body does become accustomed to it. Example after using it for a year I noticed I needed to increase my medication. I went from 0.25 mg milligrams 2.0 mg milligrams every 4 to 6 hours. Use wisely.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2013 3:24 PM

Review by Di V:

No side effects besides drowsiness. It puts me at a calm to help me think clearer.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2013 4:39 PM

Review by Sporto:

I have panic disorder when I'm under stress and it has been very helpful. I take 1.0 mg per day. It changes my negative thought process and allows me to focus on positive aspects of my life. I have been conservative in the dosage. I have taken as little as 0.25mg per day when I'm feeling well and as much as 1.25 mg per day if I'm under stressful conditions. I would follow your physicians instructions but this pattern of dosage seems to work for me.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2013 3:55 AM

Review by Ben H. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have found that Xanax does indeed work. It's quick and relieving. Take it about 20-30 before an anxious event and it will help you. The downside is the tolerance that generally develops very quickly, in my case already after one week.

August 8, 2013 3:46 AM

Review by AbbeyL (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medicine (Xanax) works effectively and quickly to resolve anxiety and panic attacks. However, I found that after I went on the antidepressant Pristiq, the Xanax made me fall asleep. I had to switch off of the Xanax as it was too sedating. At this point, I have another benzodiazepine that I can use if I have to but Pristiq has been keeping most of my panic attacks away.

July 13, 2013 1:19 PM

Review by Lisetta:

I was 16 when I had my first panic attack! It was so scary I didn't know what was happening to me. It got to the point that I had anxiety every single minute of my day I became house bound for the next 2 yrs I would not step foot outside my house I felt like the world around me was a dream I now know this is called de-realization something that happens when anxiety is at it's worst, at its peek! My mother took me to her psychiatrist, that was the best day of my life I was prescribed 1 mg Xanax 3 x per day. I started to flourish, I starting living again and slowly getting back out into society. I am now 44 I have a loving husband, 2 kids and am still on Xanax but my dosage is much lower 0.5 micrograms in the morning or when necessary.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2013 11:36 PM

Review by alpraz9494 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Xanax has been a lifesaver for me. I was getting it prescribed at 1mg 3x daily and my life was as close to perfect as I can ask for. I made it to work every day and was able to concentrate at school. I can honestly say that I wouldn't have made it through college without it. The problem now is that not 1 psychiatrist is willing to prescribe it to me. They keep giving me Abilify, Prozac, Vistaril, and trazodone. I guess they figure if I am like a ZOMBIE ALL DAY I won't complain.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2013 12:52 PM

Review by EmotionalEraser (taken for 10 years or more):

I have found that Xanax works for me, in such a way that I can go outside, to the shopping mall, and to other events with my family, that I would otherwise avoid at all costs. I have been on Xanax since 1987, and aside from a couple of small self medicating, and using with alcohol when I was younger (I no longer do these things, which are quite dangerous), and my life has been almost normal.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 8, 2013 7:35 PM

Review by Steve R:

This is an absolutely wonderful medication. Xanax, along with 40mg of Prozac, has given me my life back. No more insane panic attacks and no more not being able to sleep. Take no more than what the doctor says to take in one day.

May 26, 2013 1:29 PM

Review by Misha341:

God send!

May 14, 2013 5:05 AM

Review by gigiblue (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been on alprazolam for a couple years now! I'm now on 1mg 3 times a day but only take as needed! It has been a life saver for me! But now my doctor has prescribed me Viibryd 10 mg and I have been on every antidepressant you can think of and has not been a good experience.

April 4, 2013 12:45 AM

Review by Fox7 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Xanax is a lifesaver for me! I am 40 years old, diagnosed with Panic Disorder with agoraphobia, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and Depression. It all started when I was about 13 or 14 years old. To make a long story short, every other medicine I took, either didn't work, or made me gain a ton of weight (SSRI's). I am currently weaning myself off of Zoloft from 200 mgs. since it doesn't seem to be working any more (down to 100 mgs at the moment). I plan on just taking Xanax alone when I'm off of the Zoloft. It is the ONLY medicine that relieves ALL of my symptoms. I will see my doc tomorrow to discuss what dosage I should take after going off of Zoloft completely, because I do take both right now. I'm just tired of being fat from all these SSRI's!

April 3, 2013 8:44 PM

Review by chandlaaz (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've tried Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, and many more anti-depresents and none of them worked for my severe anxiety, social anxiety, panic attacks, and post traumatic stress disorder. I struggle with Panic attacks on a daily basis but Xanax has helped me so much and I've come a long way. Panic attacks are one of the worsts conditions to have.

February 20, 2013 6:01 AM

Review by preocupada (taken for 10 years or more):

Excellent. It helps my anxiety tremendously and takes care of my panic attacks promptly. I highly recommend it. If you take it as prescribed you will not get addicted. I have been taking it for ten years. It also helps with my high blood pressure and tachycardia.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2013 12:24 AM