User Reviews for Xanax

Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax Rating Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Anxiety

"My doctor started me on Xanax 0.5 mg almost 2 weeks ago. I've had severe Generalized Anxiety Disorder since 2009. Along with everyday terrible body pains from the stress and anxiety And I was only taking Zoloft. Since then. But the Zoloft stop working like it use to. I find the Xanax to help me some. And it suppresses my body pain as well. And I don't feel doped up. I still feel the strangeness, and unreal feelings from my anxiety. The situation doesn't matter. The anxiety grabs me when ever it wants too. But the Xanax take a little edge off. From 1-10. I'd say 6-7. For me that's good. Because my panic- anxiety is super scary."

My Franklin (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2016

"I've been taking low dose .5mg xanax for a few years for social anxiety and occasional panic attacks. It's excellent. I take it as needed, which I like, it lets me feel more in control. I rarely take a full dose. It's very effective even in a lower dose. It just lets me keep anxiety under control so I can function well. I never notice any major fogginess or anything with it either unlike other benzos I've taken like ativan. Just in moderation. A little goes a long way. Absolutely great medication for anxiety and occasional severe panic attacks. It has completely helped me build my confidence up and get my life back!"

RonnyW April 8, 2016

"I suffer from anxiety and mood swings much of it is work stress related, Xanax has worked wonders for me no habit I have not experience any side effects and I don't believe is habit forming, I only take it as needed, I always keep them with me just in case I suffer a panic attack, I greatly recommend it."

Liz10 April 6, 2016

"I have been on Xanax 1mg TID since 2013. This has been a miracle drug for my anxiety. I also take Celexa 40mg daily in combination with Xanax. Within minutes of taking my prescription, I feel a tremendous amount of stress relief. I normally take 2 at bedtime and sleep straight through the night and never wake up groggy. I feel refreshed each morning, and get ready for work. 2 thumbs up for this medication. Those that abuse it, you give patients who truly suffer from anxiety and depression a bad name."

linzxo (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 2, 2016

"I had only taken Xanax a few times as needed and losing it (oops). Sometimes it works right away with calming me down and everything, but this one time I was a mess and it took a while to work. But, on the bright side, I have very bad insomnia and it made me sleep better. I do not take it as a sleepy aid, that was just one instance where it was night time."

Kurai (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2016

"I began taking xanax at 1mg daily spread out over the day when diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I have had it 3 times now so have been on this medication for 6 years. It controls my anxiety and panic or fearful thoughts mostly. It's been extremely helpful and my doctor knows I keep my dosage as directed. Very beneficial for me but it took a long while to overcome the stigma. Life is to valuable to waste feeling bad.!!"

Catstail (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 26, 2016

"I have GAD, PTSD, Adult ADD, Bi-polar & crippling panic attacks aka Panic Disorder. I was diagnosed with panic disorder at the age of 7. It ruins my life. I took klonopin for 7 years threw middle and high school. It worked okay but I always felt like something else could work better. I have been on Prozac, cymbalta, latuda, visteril, lexapro, Effexor, amnitriptalyne, celexa, Paxil, lyrica, neurontin, depakote, seroquel and risperdal. Nothing EVER worked. I finally am on a routine of; 40mg Prozac, 25mg amnitriptalyne, 40mg adderall a day, .5mg klonopin 4X daily, .5mg of halcion for insomnia. My doc recently changed me to 1mg Xanax 3X daily and it has been a lifesaver. I don't feel like a zombie and my mood has evened out!! Love it so much."

kshaw2012 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2016

"I started taking this medication since I was 18 years old on and off. Let me put it in simple terms it is highly addictive. Yes it cured my anxiety but temporary only as long as I was on it. Miss a day and you want to crwal out of your own skin. The withdrawls are horrendous. Xanax just masks the problem. As soon as I got back on it my brain just wants it and thats all I think about. Valarian root is healthier and natural think twice before taking Xanax. Go for natural products if you can."

Sassyone6085 March 17, 2016

"I get anxiety attacks with nausea (GAD diagnosed) and use half a .25 tablet during an attack. I'm pretty drug sensitive and also leery of overuse. I'm way under recommended dosage of one full .25 tab every six hours, but it takes the edge off my rushing thoughts of worry at half of one every 12-16 hours as needed. I was without anxiety attacks for 7 years and had a very old prescription that I used when my attacks returned. FDA has to list an expiration date but 80-90% of the drug was still active."

MerricMaker (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 12, 2016

"I've been struggling with severe anxiety and depression since I was a child. I've tried everything for anxiety: lexapro, Celexa, Effexor XR, Prozac, and Xanax. It's been the only medication that has really saved my life from this illness. Otherwise, if I don't take it, I won't be able work or live. I know that there is so much stigma about how it's addicting and it's abused. If you genuinely have a serious anxiety disorder, don't focus on the stigma. Take them! Or try to live the severe anxiety. You sort of have to pick your poison. I have never abused xanax. I started taking Klonopin for about a year, and was switched to xanax. I've always taken my medicine as prescribed. Right now, I'm taking .25 mg and it does wonders for me."

Overcomer31 March 9, 2016

"Way too addictive. Very expensive in my country, and gives me extreme vivid dreams/nightmares. But the mellow feeling is nice after a panic attack. Stops dead on track panic, and almost any emotional crisis. But I prefer to stay away. I changed to Klonopin."

corvohunter March 1, 2016

"I started out Valium for about 20 years 10 mg x 4 a day. Used for anxiety and sleep. It worked was a comfort to know most of the time used 2 per day so I always had extra. I think knowing I had extras help almost as much. Then Dr changed prescription to alprazolam 2 mg tablets 4 times a day, some heavy difference, at first it worked well . In the beginning I felt it 30 minutes after I took it and only needed 2 per day, now I'm at 4 per day that's 8 mgs and I don't feel it , I don't know about withdrawals but I hear it's pretty hard to get off and I've been on them for 30 years. Not sure what to expect but think I would feel more alert and energetic too"

James1663 (taken for 10 years or more) February 26, 2016

"I've just switched to Klonopin from being on Xanax for almost 11 years. It worked WONDERS for me. I never abused it and take it responsibly, but I did develop a tolerance to it after so long on it. One of the best things about Xanax is that it kicks in pretty quickly, which is a must for panic attacks. It's very hard for me to let Xanax go because it's the only thing that really worked for my anxiety and panic attacks."

IcePrincess88 (taken for 10 years or more) February 25, 2016

"Used for 6 weeks to treat muscle spasms and phobia. After asking my doctor to wean me off we followed a regimen, and it was the worst withdrawal I have ever experienced in my whole life, even worse than things that I've taken in the past. I suffered temporal epileptic seizures for 3 days, and was staring at the door for an hour before my girlfriend smacked me to wake me up. 6 days later I suffered two consecutive grand mal seizures that broke my skull and nose. I had never history of seizures, brain MRI EEGs done last year came out clear and crystal, and this medicine lowered my threshold so much, 6 months after I stopped it I am not the same, I am not the same anymore. Please be careful and think ten times before you decide to drop it."

Nasmoed (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2016

"My psychiatrist prescribes me 15 Xanax 0.5mg per month. I have generalized anxiety disorder and depression, and am on other meds for that; Xanax is only for extra-stressful situations. It is incredibly effective. Within minutes of taking it, I am much calmer. I notice no side effects whatsoever."

Serene Celine (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2016

"I've used Xanax twice in my life--once when one of my children died and later when I was divorced. The drug works as advertised, relieving anxiety in an extremely short time. 12 years ago I was prescribed 0.5 mg three times a day and it really worked. However, it is very easy to get comfortable taking these. I stopped cold turkey after about a month with no withdrawal, but I could just have easily become very dependent. It's a great medication if you use restraint and only take it when necessary. My current doctor tells me that he tells his patients that 3 0.5 mg tablets is the maximum they should take every week. It's great but be careful!"

Anon 80 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2016

"I have generalized anxiety disorder and several other mental illnesses, so I am on a combination of medications. Xanax is one of the best of the bunch. I only get fifteen 0.5mg pills per month, for use only in stressful situations. Works like a charm every time. Within fifteen minutes my anxiety and panic symptoms are well under control. No side effects whatsoever. I know the danger of addiction is very real, but as long as I use my Xanax sparingly, I see no reason to ever stop taking it. I also take Tenormin, Neurontin, Ambien, Buspar, and Remeron."

Serene Celine (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 27, 2016

"I have been on Xanax for about 30 years now. I have suffered with anxiety since I was a child and depression later in life. I started out only taking 0.5 mg a day, even going for periods of time without taking it at all, and then over the past 15 years I have graduated to only 1.5 mg a day. I feel no need for an increase. I suffer with all the usual anxiety symptoms, but one symptom that is most annoying is the choking sensation I feel in my throat. I believe I carry my stress and worries there. When I take Xanax, it takes this terrible feeling away. I find it extremely difficult to get a doctor to prescribe me this medicine as I moved to another state. The people who abuse this drug make it extremely difficult for those of us who need it."

lamb1111 (taken for 10 years or more) January 16, 2016

"Hello everybody. I'm only giving Xanax a 1 out of 10 because it doesn't seem to have any effect on me. I've been getting it every month for a few years. I started it back when, after taking Paxil for a decade, it started to decrease its effectiveness and my anxiety and panic attacks were beginning to re-appear. My psych switched me to Effexor, and while we were figuring out the best dose in combination with Buspar, I was desperate to have a fast-acting solution to the panic when I felt it coming on. He gave me Xanax, but it didn't help with the overwhelming anxiety unless I took a few of them, and even then the improvement was minimal to moderate. When I found the magic dosage amount with the Effexor my anxiety all but disappeared.."

Mikek1 January 11, 2016

"I started on Xanax after the birth of my second child for post partum anxiety. I used Ativan after my first baby but my new doctor wanted me to try Xanax. I thought it worked great at first. .25 my 4 x a day. Most days I only took 2 or 3. My baby developed colic issues and my husband was working 60 -70 hours a week so I had no help and was going crazy from no sleep and endless hours of non-stop crying so they upped my dose to .5 mg 3 x a day. Things calmed down around 3 months so I tried to cut back down but ended up with severe panic attacks and shaking, etc. Even when I take my regular dose on time I am still struggling with increased heart rate, shakiness, irritability, etc. Hoping to switch meds or something at my next appointment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2016

"I started taking Xanax over ten years ago for my anxiety. I started with .5 mg twice a day and ended up at .5 mg every 4 hours and still felling like I needed more as I was addicted. I had one heck of a time weaning off. I now take 1/2 of a .25 mg tablet every 3 to 4 hours when needed for my tinnitus. It works to lessen the anxiety caused by the constant ringing in my ears and I try some days to take it only once or twice. It has worked great for me but I suggest being very conservative with your dosing because it is very easy to build a tolerance and form an addiction."

D in NM January 7, 2016

"I suffer from moderate, sometimes severe anxiety. General life stress, such as my job (bad bosses), my kids arguing over any & everything, etc... I've been on Xanax (alprozolam) for about 2 years on & off. Recently I've started experiencing panic attacks with psychotic features (self-diagnosing here) and as soon as I take a .5mg Xanax tablet, I'm fine within 5-10 minutes. This little tablet has been a lifesaver for me."

Landonsmommy14 January 4, 2016

"All started when I was about 18 years young. All typical symptoms - racing thoughts, palpitations, high blood pressure, dizzines, fear, choking feeling, chest tightness, fear of death and many other unbearable things which happens when anxiety becomes uncontrollable! Over the years I have had my good days and my bad days. Sometimes to a point where I don't want to live anymore, but then comes good days and to live is the thing I want the most. For those dark moments when close to panic xanax has really helped me! It gets me a bit calmer straight away, and then I can start breathing excercise and other little things which help to calm down. Without xanax I honestly wouldn't know what to do!"

EduardsR December 13, 2015

" xanax forums are full of how xanax can be so strong for some people. to me it was like a sledgehammer over my head. I woke 6 hours later with no recollection of what went on other than I slept. this was a low dose. It is either panic or been knocked out. Where are all these pleasant experiences I hear about?"

Neme December 11, 2015

"I've been suffering from General Anxiety Disorder for over 30 years. I was on Lexapro which was controlling my anxiety wonderfully. I was laid of from my job after 28 years working there. I then found a new job but because it was change and new I had a massive panic/anxiety attack and quit the job after 3 days. My psychiatrist then prescribed Xanax along with the Lexapro. I was taking 40 mg of Lexapro and .75mg of Xanax daily, the combination has worked for the last 6 years. However now I have another new job and had another massive panic/anxiety attack. The combination of Lexapro and Xanax is no longer working. I am now trying 20mg of Brintellix and 3mg of Chlonopin. I'm hoping this works in order to keep my job."

salvatop December 8, 2015