User Reviews for Xanax

Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax review summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Anxiety

Review by chriwa: User Rating:

I have experienced anxiety since being diagnosed with Cancer 4 years ago. I use 0.5 MG's twice daily and stick to this dosage given to me by my doctor. It helps me tremendously. I have tried to step off it several times and found it very difficult. Will remain on it for as long as I need it. It improves my life quality and keeps panic and anxiety at bay.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 17, 2014 6:07 PM
Review by NEK (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Yeah, it works. Some people are more sensitive than others. Generally, you take a pill (depends on dosage) and you just start feeling your tight chest and stomach release, and I notice I begin breathing more calmly and normally. Just feels good all over, which is such a contrast from the horrors of anxiety. It can make you a little sleepy. I think for 'normal people' it would make them very sleepy. For 'anxious' people, I think it makes you normal and relaxed. The one problem is that if you take it too much, like three days in a row, the effect is reduced and you have to 'up' the dosage. I think it works best for occasional use, like before a difficult situation or when you're just having a lot of anxiety and need calm.

April 14, 2014 2:04 PM
Review by your nickname: User Rating:

Extremely helpful!

April 9, 2014 9:39 PM
Review by Interstellar117 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

This works effectively for anxiety as well as sleeping problems. It doesn't impair my cognitive abilities. It is not addictive to me, however the only problem is getting off Xanax and the backlash effect it creates. I have successfully used Tranxene to bridge this gap and taper off safely. I rate it a 9 1/2; it has been a true miracle when I needed it most!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 2, 2014 7:53 PM
Review by Lostangel67: User Rating:

I was very uneasy always sad, lost how to be happy, jumpy at the slightest things and panic and from the second or third pill began to feel a difference. I felt like I could have fun again or really smile at least. It is like my brain needed a little help adjusting to difficult situations.

March 31, 2014 7:21 PM
Review by Huey1987 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I should start by letting you know that I was an addict of medicines (and having been through treatment, now enjoy 2 years and 9 months of sobriety) but I am also a sufferer of a wretched case of anxiety complete with full blown crippling panic attacks. Which I have suffered from for many years, but upon completing treatment for my recreational use and now being honest with doctors it was very difficult for that reason to get one to prescribe something that would help my condition. When I found one that would I would have to have my wife allocate the Xanax out to me but I will say it has helped and worked wonders. IN MODERATION!!

March 17, 2014 6:57 PM
Review by nemj: User Rating:

Works almost immediately. Gets rid of chest tightness, anger, emotional rollercoaster. Just doesn't last a full 8 hours.

March 11, 2014 2:22 AM
Review by Cal~ (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I have to start by saying that I'm fearful of medications for starters, secondly I have dealt with anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia for many years now! I'm not housebound but do have a small neighborhood radius of "comfort". I have in the past felt shamed of my condition as I thought I was unique and alone and somewhat embarrassed to try to explain my irrational feelings and thoughts, which I have learned since that they are entirely "made up" and thoughts lead to feelings that lead to behaviors all of which can be undone with the help of medicine, therapy, relaxation techniques, journaling, diet, exercise and not being afraid to open up about your anxiety. You are NOT alone! Learn to RELAX it WORKS.

February 25, 2014 3:28 PM
Review by sopranofan (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I've been on a variety of different benzodiazipines for about 16 years now for anxiety, Agorphobia and even insomnia and I have to say Xanax is by far the most effective. I've been on Valium, Klonopin, Ativan and even SSRI'S and none helped me the way Xanax did. Ativan did absolutely nothing, Valium was "decent"(I'd give it a 5) because of its long acting qualities and Klonopin made me tired all the time. Only with Xanax can I lead a normal, productive life. Without that medicine I would not be able to hang out with friends, go to the grocery store, go to the mailbox, associate with my family ...these are all triggers of my anxiety. Even answering the phone! I've taken 2mgs two times daily now for the past 7 years and it works great!

February 17, 2014 2:48 PM
Review by ItsYourLove (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have always struggled with worry, stress, and anxiety and recently have gone through some really difficult situation. My doctor diagnosed me with panic attacks and prescribed me a low dose of Xanax to take when needed. I take half a pill because I am afraid of developing a habit and hate relying on medications. This really does work and helps me a lot. I have only needed it a few times.

February 16, 2014 4:39 PM
Review by IWizardofOz (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have anxiety for a long time, taking Zoloft for it since 99 not sure how much it helps, but when I get really bad I take Xanax .25mg, it does help quickly. My only thing on Xanax, I wished that it wouldn't be habit forming and because of that, you may need to make dosage higher and higher after .25mg. Also recommend checking for interactions with Xanax if you are taking any other medicines.

February 15, 2014 1:43 PM
Review by Danny's Lady (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I asked my doctor if he could give me something as I had been under stress and anxiety for some time. I take 0.5 mg of Xanax twice a day. I take it about 1/2 hour before I go to bed so I can relax and sleep. Not sure if the Xanax is causing some weight gain or not.

February 12, 2014 2:54 PM
Review by MotoMisfit: User Rating:

As far back as I can remember, kindergarten I think. I've suffered from major anxiety issues. I can remember throwing up in the trash can by the entrance to Jr. High School, and through High School even. I could then, and can now make my hands sweat just by thinking about it. When I finally got on Xanax, I was far more outgoing, funny, and learned there was a whole side to me I didn't really know existed due to Anxiety. My point is.......don't wait! Talk to some one who can help you with Anxiety if you have it. And BE HONEST! Tell them how hard it is for you!!

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 4, 2014 9:19 PM
Review by Cera (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I started taking Xanax in 2007- my daily dose was up to 4mg daily as needed. I finally felt that I had my life back. In 2013 we moved to AZ and the 1st Dr I saw here discontinued it, cold turkey. A few others were drastically cut back and stopped without any warning. I must say it has been difficult.

January 2, 2014 1:52 AM
Review by Bandg47 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Xanax is the best when taken only as needed and not on a daily basis. Nothing else comes close. Just be cautious and it can be used over a longer period of time if not abused. It has worked for me that way.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 13, 2013 9:56 AM
Review by WhiteRook (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Xanax was a Godsend in the short term. Nearly immediate peace from all anxiety and panic symptoms. The longer I took it though, the more problematic it became. Constantly increasing dose for effectiveness, switching formulations. Finally addiction, dependence - didn't matter if it was called this or that. Discontinuing Xanax was painful. Like weeks long, restless, climbing the walls, no sleep. I'd still call it useful in a low dose, well supervised situation.

November 26, 2013 9:39 PM
Review by anonymous251 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I take Xanax very rarely with Lexapro as my primary anxiety med. Xanax works perfectly to knock out secondary panic and anxiety symptoms, the best as needed anxiety med on the market. I don't recommend it as your primary anxiety med though, too addictive.

October 26, 2013 7:58 PM
Review by Korks: User Rating:

Out of all the benzodiazepines I think that Xanax (alprazolam) is the best for me, acts quick & does what it says, just be careful & if you are going to ask your Dr. For them I recommend maybe starting out a smaller dose and work up from there. If that doesn't work, the reason is, after a bit you get a little immune to strength & can bump up in dosage if this happens, unless you have a high tolerance, then maybe start at 1 mg, that way you can still move up if that doesn't work, but I recommend starting small & moving up in dosage if needed.

October 18, 2013 4:31 PM
Review by Timber75: User Rating:

I started out on Valium 5 mg 4 times a day when I was 22 due to petit-mal seizures. The doctors said my anxiety was causing my blood pressure to go out the roof. At age 29 had a heart attack due to anxiety making my BP so high I was in V fib. Now at age 38 I'm taking Xanax 2 mg 3 times a day. For me all the antidepressants cause some kind of stimulation hat makes my anxiety worsen so I stopped the SSRI's. It is working for now but I fear what happens when this doesn't work anymore what am I going to do. So tired of having anxiety and panic disorder. I don't think too many doctors understand what a profound problem this causes in ones life. So really express how you really feel to your Doc.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 3, 2013 2:35 PM
Review by frog lady (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have severe anxiety including social anxiety that confines me to my apartment 95% of the time. I also suffer from trichotillomania where my anxiety is so bad I pull my hair out. Have had this for 20 years and all the shrinks could not help me. I am 32 years old and just recently have been put on Xanax 0.5mg 3 times daily as needed. Well the first week I slept and slept, which is good because I wasn't sleeping before. I also have bipolar disorder and severe depression. Pristiq helps a little but I am allergic to everything else. Xanax slows down my racing thoughts so I can think clearer and make decisions easier and is helping with the hair pulling but am still desperately searching for help with that and have not found it.

September 25, 2013 1:12 AM
Review by Sirisha reddy: User Rating:

I have had a very emotional ups and downs in life and after getting married 15 years ago my life became more hectic. 10 years ago when I lost my cousin; I had panic attacks and I became hypochondriac. I took Anxit(Xanax) 0.25 to 0.5 mg twice a day. I stopped all of a sudden after an year and did not notice withdrawal symptoms as depression was somewhat like part of life dealing with people. Now recently, I started having very bad panic attacks and I almost stopped going out alone as I was scared to go out alone and my panic was of heart attacks and death by sudden reasons etc; for the past week I again started taking Anxit 0.25mg once in morning and night. I am fine and happy for the past week and I want to continue same dose.

September 24, 2013 12:43 PM
Review by Tommy1226: User Rating:

Best medicine I ever been put on. Started off with two 0.05mg a day then to five 0.5 a day, and I'm Down to Three 1.0 MG a day and it's starting to not work as good. So I need to talk to my doctor and up the dose to at least 4 or 5 MG for my really bad anxiety and depression!

September 12, 2013 1:25 AM
Review by dirtmagnethobbit: User Rating:

If taken as directed, this though short lasting medication, is a very effective treatment for the prevention and release from panic and anxiety attacks.

September 7, 2013 7:48 AM
Review by mbellew: User Rating:

I have a very stressful life. After my mother passing in 2005, I started having major anxiety. It truly was debilitating my entire life. My Dr put me on 0.05 mg twice a day to help. It was the BEST thing I ever did. I have been on them for 8 yrs now's. I'm 32 and a mother of 4. There are days when I really feel the anxiety peek and I take one. Its the only thing that will work within 15-20 mins. It really has helped me tremendously. I can take my meds as prescribed and still am able to take care of home, kids and work feeling normal. I would suggest this for anyone how has anxiety or panic attacks or tons of stress.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 4, 2013 1:06 PM
Review by sisjo: User Rating:

I'VE taken Xanax prescribed by my Dr for almost 2 yrs and I think its great for nerves, anxiety and good sleep. I take it at night and sleep sound all night and in the morning get up refreshed. I'm an insomniac so the help sleeping is amazing. I give it a 10, just stick with the dose the Dr. prescribes.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 27, 2013 3:05 PM