User Reviews for Xanax

Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax Review Summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Anxiety

"This is a qualified positive review for Xanax. I was suffering from mild depression and anxiety last winter and my doctor put me on Wellbutrin. That stuff takes 4-8 weeks to work and in the interim it can really up your anxiety level. A week later I started 1mg Xanax 1-2X/day and it took care of the anxiety immediately. I continued using Xanax for more restful sleep but after about 3 months I realized that short and long term memory was WAY down. Stopped Xanax and replaced with GABA and this seems to be a far better solution. The Wellbutrin worked great, felt more energy the first week but did take 6-8 weeks to fully kick in. I will now ONLY take the Xanax for rare, severe stress. Also check the connection to Alzheimers."

Matt in CA April 21, 2015

"Xanax made me a normal person again. I had bouts of anxiety seemingly my entire life, but it didn't become debilitating until I reached my 20s and became overwhelmed with everything on my plate and I lost sight of who I was. I couldn't focus on anything because I was too worried about school and work and my health issues. It became too much, and I dropped out of school with a 4.0! Anxiety stole my life away, but Xanax gave me the strength to gain it back. I'm finally about to graduate, have a wonderful job, and just recently got engaged! I am a normal person, and I thank anxiety for calming my brain and enabling me to live a beautiful, productive life. I highly recommend it if you genuinely suffer from debilitating anxiety."

Madsz April 16, 2015

"I take this as needed for anxious situations: i.e. the dentist (I would flee from the office crying if not for the Xanax), being around large crowds of people, etc. It certainly takes off the edge that accompanies anxiety and helps me to be in situations that I normally couldn't. It seems to take 45 mins to an hour to kick in so I am proactive in taking it to be prepared. It's been a great help to get me to certain places and be able live life."

FanOfTheBoss March 31, 2015

"I have had anxiety since I was a child, from my personal experiences this medicine is the fastest and effective but BE VERY CAREFUL also the most depending. I ran my prescription short one month and was without for a couple of days and had a seizure while driving. Just because the doctor says three or four times a day doesn't mean you need them that much, BE VERY CAREFUL!"

shortcake67 March 19, 2015

"I started having anxiety attacks a few months ago due to marijuana use. Bad life choice I regret but due to my natural anxiety marijuana made it 10x worse. I started having anxiety attacks sometimes up to 6x a day for a few weeks. I had a visit to my doctor scheduled anyway and was honest and told him about my situation. He prescribed me xanax to use as a short term medication for my anxiety attacks as he said weed can cause horrible anxiety for a month in some ppl. I took it as prescribed which was every six hours as needed. I started with about .25mg a day but took .5 a few times when it was real bad. 2 weeks later I began splitting the pills in half to .12. Am completely off it now but made a huge difference in my life for that time."

dagger 3457 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2015

"I've been battling anxiety since before I could remember it got so bad that I finally tried Xanax for thw first time today and so far I feel like my best self l. My mind is no longer racing a million miles a minute and I don't feel tense at all, only peacefulness."

finally: ) February 23, 2015

"Severe withdrawal"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 28, 2015

"Rash, dry eye, dry mouth, dry skin, sore tongue and throat, cramps."

fastram January 23, 2015

"This medication has helped me a lot it keeps me calm and it's fast acting just take them as prescribed!"

ARJC (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Great for what it is meant for but a huge risk factor for dependency. If you can your better off taking Lexapro."

A. Perez (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 17, 2014

"Takes away all anxiety and stress. I have GAD SAD and PTSD."

Mozes December 13, 2014

"Works very well for anxiety. The best way to take these types of medicines is to take them as needed. Some doctors will tell you to take them everyday as prescribed, but I found in my 20 years of experience with Xanax that taking them everyday is an easy way for it to become habit forming and addictive. When I take them as needed I don't become dependent on them. I think doctors disagree with this method because they feel that you need to counter the anxiety before you get it and that way you can learn to tolerate it. I have tried using Xanax both ways, it's nice not having anxiety, but your body and mind will adapt to the dosage and if you take it long enough you will find you need a higher dose to feel like you did."

TheRXQueen (taken for 10 years or more) December 12, 2014

"I noticed my memory was very much affected on Xanax. This is the quickest working benzo in my opinion, but does not last long. Also, the withdrawals from Xanax were more severe than the withdrawals from the other benzos I've been on. It works great for some people, but not so much for me."

StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 5, 2014

"Acts very quickly and definitely feel the calming effect. The only downsides is that it doesn't last very long (2-3 hrs max, maybe even less) and you quickly build up a tolerance for it so you end up having to take much more the more you use it."

Jundibasam (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2014

"Only benzodiazepine that worked completely. Been on all the others. Have tried antidepressants with negative results. So at the correct dose. Alprazolam is what I consider the hardest working anxiety and stress reliever available."

Anonymous November 22, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Great for anxiety. However, only recommend using short term. I've gone through opiate withdrawing as well as benzo withdraws, and benzo withdraws are far worse. Never felt more suicidal...use with caution..."

notomatot31 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 15, 2014

"I have been on Xanax for a few years due to my anxiety discover. This tablet which I only take a quarter of when it is necessary which doesn't happen very often has helped me sleep and calm down. My sister has terminal cancer. It also helped me go through tough events."

angelmax (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2014

"I take this medication as needed. I take 150 mg Effexor daily, which helps with the majority of my depression and anxiety, but I take Xanax when I need to take the edge off. I was recently prescribed this, and I have only had to use it twice, while flying (I go into full panic mode). I took an entire pill 30 minutes before my flight and it made me relax right away. I have never been able to sleep on a plane (even during international flights), but it calmed me down to the point I fell asleep during both flights. It didn't even bother me during take off when the pilot had to slam on the breaks due to a cargo light. This medication does make me sleepy, though I have not taken half a dose so far. My panic attacks are not as frequent as some."

Lexxa November 6, 2014

"Been taking it for 2 years and it gets me through anxiety attacks."

Dp3000 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 17, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on quite a few antidepressants in addition to Xanax. The antidepressants made my anxiety and panic worse, needing to increase my intake of Xanax when on the antidepressant(s). I was really reluctant to take the Xanax when I was first prescribed the medication. I have been of Pristiq for 8 months now and have lowered my Xanax from 1 mg in the morning, 1mg midday and 2 mg at bed. I am now taking 0.5mg in the morning and 1.5 mg at bed. I am taking vitamins, doing yoga and taking better care of myself. My doctor knows, I am honest. He wanted me to take 2mg every 8 hours but never did. My Mother just died a few weeks ago and have been getting really bad anxiety and still the same dose helps me. Hope this helps."

AJPisces August 20, 2014

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The best to ease the stress"

NishaPooh August 9, 2014

"After a recent medical diagnosis, I had a difficult time coping and felt a tremendous sense of fear and worry constantly. Brought me to the point I was physically ill everyday and having panic attacks frequently. Xanax is wonderful when you find the right dose. Too much and I became a zombie. 0.25 MG was my perfect dose. It brought me down from panic and allowed me to take a step back and deal with my problems rationally."

doxie789 August 2, 2014

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It makes any impossible situation more possible, it controls violence rage temper anger towards others. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, panic attacks and keeps you calm. The best!"

Lil Locita:) July 30, 2014

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was in England when I started getting feeling of depersonalization, forehead pressure, fear, negative thoughts and irritation etc. I came back to my country and consulted a doctor. He diagnosed me with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. What he prescribed me may have worked but honestly speaking I did not give fair chance to the prescribed medicine. He did not prescribe me Xanax but I managed to get it from somewhere myself as I had read about its effectiveness against anxiety. It worked perfectly for me. I killed my anxiety with it. It normalizes me and keeps me going ahead in life. I give 9/10. "

vicky123 July 26, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I thought this medicine might help with the onset of an atrial fibrillation attack and it does! Not a guarantee but very often helps especially at night when I feel something coming on...it allows me to fall into a deeper sleep which at times kicks the onset. Also very useful for anxiousness, as documented. I do not take it daily, only when needed."

Kathy mom July 11, 2014