User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 40 medications

Depression 113 reviews 75 medications

7.3
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 445 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Review by KateisGrate:

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: Made my depression and anxiety worse. Caused more instances of suicidal ideation.

January 19, 2015 9:11 PM

Review by Erica0812:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Works great for my anxiety. Have experienced some negative side effects such as terrible night sweats and "highs and lows".

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2015 9:53 AM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I had my first anxiety attack when my oldest son was 2 years old & ended up in the ER. My doctor prescribed Paxil & it really helped. I've been on it for about 16 years now..even took it when I was pregnant with my second child. The only side effect I've really had is weight gain.

January 18, 2015 8:56 PM

Review by Clancabell (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: This is my second time on paroxetine after suffering with severe panic attacks and depression, I was a complete wreck but had to do something quickly! I tried all the self help programmes as well but nothing worked! The doctor put me on another medicine first (sertraline). I was in a state after 3 weeks and severe insomnia, weight loss due to no appetite! So I decided to go back to paroxetine. I started on 5mg and slowly went up to 20mg over about 5 weeks, I'm now feeling so much better, this medicine has helped me get back to my old self and I'm thankful for that! I'm in the UK so don't pay insurance.

January 18, 2015 4:25 AM

Review by Ashleyyy:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I love Paxil but I have to say I have pur on weight being on it and I have the most horrible vivid nightmares where I can't wakeup. I think it works great for anxiety but I think maybe this medicine has stopped working because I've been on it so long it has improved my life for the better but I'm thinking of changing now cause it just doesn't do the same for me anymore.

January 6, 2015 8:28 PM

Review by CoreyTheFemale (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paxil is better than other medicines I have taken for my anxiety by far. But, there are flaws with it. Being forgetful, I forget to take my medicine sometimes, and if I forget, I will get sick due to withdrawal. I am also a very skinny person and a picky eater already, and with taking Paxil, I have an extreme loss of appetite. Eating to me is now a chore and my body will not tell me when I am hungry until I go into shock due to malnutrition. But, all of this is worth it to get rid of my terrible anxiety. It is extremely worth it.

January 6, 2015 9:15 AM

Review by EmilyN19:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: There is a lot of other reviews that I have read that sums a lot of it up. Yes, you will most likely experience yawning, nausea, and headaches at first. It does go away! At first I also noticed a change in my sex life. I could still get in the mood but found it near impossible to orgasm. Also, with sleep, I did feel tired for a bit, but I think it was because I experienced trouble sleeping at first. I found some things that helped fix some of this: I went from 20mg to 10mg a day. I took it right after breakfast. This one is important! Exercise! I started running again and I found that it had an extremely positive effect and it went well with the medication. A lot of the jitters I got at first went away, it helped me sleep better, and more!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by Shachar:

For Hot Flashes: Had surgical menopause and started this two weeks before surgery. I am now two weeks past surgery and have not experienced a single hot flash or any other menopause symptom. I sleep great and feel much more calm. It did make me tired for the first week and have brain fog, but that passed.

December 28, 2014 8:58 PM

Review by blue devil (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Hot Flashes: Increased to 30mg. And big improvement. It took 7-8 weeks to help but usually 1-2 hot flashes per day, no night sweats anymore. Love the calming effect. No other side effects. Just waiting for them to stop all together.

December 28, 2014 8:48 PM

Review by sassymel (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I've been on Paxil for 3 days and I honestly can say I've been sleep mostly. Jaws are clicking. But I feel calm .. I hope it works out for Me. I also started meditations so I've been real spaced out. I can barely live my life with my anxiety. I will definitely post in 2 weeks with my progress.

December 14, 2014 11:37 PM

Review by BreeB:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I started taking Prozac after failing to be able to deal with some traumatic events happening in my life over an extended period of time. The Prozac made me quite shaky and left me with a feeling of extreme nervousness. I kept imagining flying off my balcony (for real). My doctor said it was very rare to have this sort of reaction. I hired a therapist. I switched doctors. I was prescribed Paroxetine. It made me feel normal again. If you have a bad reaction to Prozac, don't be afraid to let your doctor know. People react differently to medicines, even when they're supposed to be close to the same thing.

December 12, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by Sharub (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: First of all, I never realized that I had OCD until I told my doctor I couldn't sleep because I couldn't control my thoughts. I thought OCD only manifested itself in physical rituals. Paxil has literally saved my life. It broke a 14 year cycle of racing, uncontrollable thoughts/insomnia/anxiety/depression. I have been taking Paxil for 15 years now.

December 11, 2014 10:40 PM

Review by cotton100:

For Hot Flashes: Been taking paxil for years. Started having hot flashes and they continue, Paxil has not effect on them.

December 10, 2014 9:27 PM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My anxiety sky rocketed while on this medication so much that my doctor prescribed Xanax. I was terrified and unable to sleep for more than a couple hours.

December 7, 2014 5:34 PM

Review by Redhead0893:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Paxil was the first antidepressant I was put on when I was first diagnosed with depression roughly a year and a half ago. While it did stop the suicidal thoughts, the side effects were just not worth it for me. It made me tired ALL THE TIME. And not just kind of sleepy. It was more like I could get a full nights rest, wake up, and not half an hour later feel so exhausted that if I laid down on the ground I could take a nap right there. It also took away my ability to orgasm. I'm a 21 y/o (20 at the time) college girl who is a pretty sexually open person. So to say I was not down to never have another orgasm while on it would be a huge understatement. Did work, but not worth the side effects.

December 6, 2014 12:49 PM

Review by Johnnie4 (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I have been on Paxil for over 20 years. I always hoped something better would come along, i.e., without side effects of weight gain and dry mouth. I have most of my back teeth crowned and have lost a few and have implants. It's a choice. Nothing is benign, but I have found this is the only medication that I can tolerate, and it does help. So, I guess I will stick it out and see. Good medication, not so good side effects.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 4:05 PM

Review by luck1313 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: This was the only medicine I could take and didn't have a care or worry in the world.

November 29, 2014 6:48 AM

Review by OnlyAMemory (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: The only reason I am giving this medication a '9' is because I'm my 5th week in and I've feel better than I did before taking the medication. I would say in my 3rd to 4th week I started feeling better and to my old self. Don't get me wrong...I still had moments of anxiety and stress, but nothing like it used to be. Recently, I've been preparing for a CT Scan and I think it's caused my anxiety to spike again. I'm staying positive and trying to face the reality that my worry is the cause of the anxiety. I know the full effect with Paxil doesn't kick in until 3 months and I am going to stay on it to benefit from it. Like I said, it's been a tremendous blessing, but still got a hill to climb. It's most important to face our problems head-on.

November 24, 2014 12:49 PM

Review by babyface714:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I was on 10mg of Paxil for the first time in my life and it increased my anxiety so bad I missed work went off and I felt good for a week now I'm back to feeling bad and missing more work. I might try Prozac but very nervous.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 3:20 PM

Review by Teyha:

For Hot Flashes: Amazed that this is working so well for me & so quickly. I've been suffering from horrible hot flashes (2 per hour) of everyday for 8 years now. I noticed relief from Paxil in 2 days. I couldn't believe it. Like many, I've tried EVERY THING imaginable for some relief, (to avoid the dangers of HRT). Now night sweats are down to 1 per night at most (compared to 5 per night). All I do is wash sheets, night clothes & pillows. Only problem with the Paxil is how groggy I feel the next day. Now I'm taking it a few hours before bed now hoping this will help. After 3 days I think this is helping some. Won't stop trying to make this medicine work.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 12:27 PM

Review by alex o:

For Hot Flashes: This is very helpful to reduce hot flashes and sweat and I am very grateful. Highly recommended.

November 10, 2014 10:57 AM

Review by SJM87:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: It really works!!! But I gained 14 pounds

November 9, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by Lucia1999 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Social Anxiety Disorder: Prozac and Paxil have saved my sanity.

November 7, 2014 1:22 PM

Review by l3x (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I have been taking this for 6 -7 months. It works good for me but when I miss 1 or 2 days my mood it's really high. I will fight or yell, but when I take it to cool down it works. I was 147lbs when I started it and now I'm 127lbs. I have lost a lot and I'm happy. I eat a lot but when I do eat its just a little. Sometime I even forget to drink or eat anything on this pill but I like it as long as I take it everyday I'm happy.

October 26, 2014 10:52 PM

Review by MissJulia:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I have been depressed with major social anxiety for over five years. I've always been scared to try any medication. Lately it's been unbearable. I have too much social anxiety that I can't even sit through job interviews or simple things like going shopping alone. I'm 25 and have been on Paxil for less than a month. The first two weeks were bad. I'd wake up at odd hours of the night and be wide awake. I'd feel like puking throughout the day along with being very drowsy. Don't worry. It does subside. I feel like going out more and I'm not too worried as I usually am about people judging me or looking at me. I participate in small talk with strangers. I am free to go out without worrying. I'm content.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate