User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 3 reviews 39 medications

Depression 120 reviews 76 medications

7.2
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 506 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Paroxetine

Paxil (paroxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I tried Paxil in 2000 when I had unstoppable panic attacks.I had been dealing with anxiety all of my life & those years I had constant panic over a teen addict & a son with learning disabilities and marital issues. This was the first time I had ever taken an AD. The very first day I felt relief from it.However, looking back; the start up dose of 20 mg caused me to be a bit withdrawn & weirdly unresponsive to my family after that first day. As time went on though I began to feel much better & happier. I will say the dose was probably too high as I did make some regretful decisions from not thinking things through,I gained several extra pounds; & 'thought' I had sexual side effects; it could have been situational. Not well since stopping."

Marchbaby (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 24, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I suffer from anxiety daily and mild depression. I was on Paxil for 2 years and thought I was okay to get off it, 2 months later I fell hard into depression and anxiety and recently went back on it and waiting for it to kick in again. This medicine is a life saver for sure. Don't give up on it in a few days. You have to let it kick in. Hopefully it'll kick in soon for me! On it I had no anxiety and I suffered daily before it, had no depression. Good luck :)"

Mattyts July 19, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: "I took it for 3 months straight. During the 1st month, my hot flashes reduced, by month 3, it seemed like it wasn't helping with the hot flashes much, but I noticed a positive side effect. My overall outlook on life was so much better. Little things that once got on my nerves, slid off my back like a ducks. I asked for something different (grass is greener syndrome) because I wanted more.More hot flash reduction, less anxiety. When I stopped I realized I'd made a terrible mistake. Is been 2 weeks and I'm ready to kill somebody.Moody? Yes? Irritable? Yes. Sweating profusely? Yes .I'm getting back on it today! !!!!"

Just Jay July 19, 2015

For Depression: "Taken for many years on and off. Has been effective in helping with depression and anxiety."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 12, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "it does takes away anxiety but with cost of lack in libido and supresses all the feelings....very very hard to get off this med....."

kish9046 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I had a rough childhood. Growing up, I tried to stay positive and press on. As an adult anxiety became overwhelming to the point where everything started to stress me out. This happen ed to me around 29 and I dealt with it until 31. I had been grinding my teeth and clenching my jaws as a reaction to stress, causing damage to my teeth...about $7,000 worth. My dentist said I had to do something about stress if I wanted to have any teeth left in my mouth. I saw a dr and was diagnosed with anxiety, ocd & ptsd. Ive taken paxil for almost 2 weeks and am relieved of anxiety but feel pretty spaced out and numb right now. Motivation is lacking as well and im nautious on and off. Im hoping these side effects subside"

Jenn Bee July 8, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I have been on paxil for almost a year now for anxiety. It works most of the time. I do not have hard core panic attack anymore. My only gripe is if I miss a day I have crazy brain fuzz, I seem to eat more, and I do not really care about anything."

Mortimore12 July 7, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Paxil helps me so much. I thank God for it. I've tried so many antidepressants and none work as good as Paxil. I would have terrible anxiety and panic attacks. Now I feel calm , confident and happy. It works. I did gain a little weight because it increased my appetite but nothing exercise and a heathy diet can't fix. I rather be happy anyway."

Overcome1633 June 29, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I had had a headache 24 hours a day seven days a week for a little over 4 months. I saw a neurologist who told me that it was tension causing my headaches and that it was all in my head. He put me on Paxil and it was without exception the single worst experience of my life. I had never been depressed before, never been diagnosed with anxiety, nothing to suggest any mental health issues whatsoever, and I was prescribed Paxil. This drug nearly killed me. As I said, no history of mental illness or suicidal thoughts in my entire life and when I was put on this drug it made me feel suicidal. I felt like I was better off dead than alive. I was only 15 years old at the time, I'm now 16.I don't think you should take this if you are under 18 years old! "

DWheeler123456 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 27, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "Paxil is good at first but the "good" influence will wear out as soon as your body get used to it. While on it, I felt confident but only on the surface (the med alleviates the physical aspects of SA). On the inside however I'm filled with self doubt, negative thoughts, jealousy of naturally confident people etc. It also made me (careless) not give a damn about socializing so I'm less interested in social situations = more isolated = fear people's views of me. Anyways, please do not consider taking it as it's only a temporary fix. I was dumb enough to believe the success stories written here and tried it. I now have trouble quitting because of the nasty withdrawal symptom.."

bintuae (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 14, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I'm 36yr old doctor. I had been on Paroxetine for past 8 yrs.weaned just 6 months back.I developed post subcapsular cataract last year. Operated both eyes with IOL. the morbidity it has produced reflects in my day to day activities. I never heard of cataracts as a side effect by paroxetine until I developed one. only when I searched on net I could see few studies suggesting cataract as a side effect of some SSRIs and Paroxetine is one among those.I had to wean it as I was afraid I might end up in more rare and serious side effects in long term, say for eg renal failure in another few yrs.But its a wonderful drug in controlling OCD. Soon I'm about to restart it or a new SSRI due to relapse. OCD makes me feel living blind is more easier than with OCD"

Sureshkumar96 June 12, 2015

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Depression: "I tried so many medications before like prozac and zoloft. I can't remember the rest but they made me sick or suicidal. I've been on Paxil CR 12.5 for 10 yrs and never increased and it is the best one for me. I cannot live my life without paxil. It has made me a better person, mother, sister, and friend."

RonnieLou63 June 12, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "After 10 years on citalopram working brilliantly, it 'pooped' out on me. I was put on sertraline which made me 100 times worse and I felt like I was losing my mind. There were times when I was suicidal which never happened before. After 18 months of trying different medications I decided to try Paxil. I was nervous to be honest but I wanted to feel better than what I was. I have anxiety, depression which led to my OCD, mainly intrusive thoughts which were very distressing. I must say that after 2 weeks I have felt better than what I had done in ages. Still not 100% but it is early days. I know everyone reacts differently to medications but do not be put off by negative reviews, this might be the drug for you. I am so glad that I tried it."

mumofthree (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been on Paxil (20 mg) since 2000 at the age of 15 and have been on it ever since. I was always an anxious kid but my anxiety became debilitating at the beginning of high school and I would occasionally vomit in the morning due to anxiety and also experienced heart palpitations. After a physical and an echocardiogram revealed that I was physically healthy I began seeing a Psychiatrist who diagnosed me with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder and he prescribed me Paxil. After about two weeks of feeling run down and kind of flu-like it began working. I really don't have any side effects and I still experience a wide range of emotions, even anxiety, though it is manageable."

Anon18901 June 3, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Anxiety has always been a big part of my life. A younger me was able to treat it with my brain but now that I am 45 I was not able to control my fears of what bad thing will happen next. Being the father of 2 kids including a handicapped little boy plus my wife that doesn't work, she needs to take care of my little boy. My fears of losing my job, car breaking down, my son's medical condition and a bad set of eyes were some of my major worries, all things that were unrealistic and mostly out of my control. Living in fear creates more problems then solutions. I started taking Paxil about two months ago and I will tell you that it helps. I feel normal no more fear and able to deal with life's problems."

Nervous Dad June 1, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I started taking paroxetine about 5 years ago because I was lasting 2 mins in bed with my gf. I never had that problem before but it was happening all the time. My doctor told me I had anxiety and put me on paroxetine. Since then I have felt great and never looked back. The premature ejaculation went and I felt much better. I had always had negative panicky feelings but just thought it was normal and everyone felt like this but since starting it I have felt great. It can be hard if you just stop the side affects are pretty bad but I am happy to keep on taking it because it works for me....hope this was helpful ;)"

dazzer (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 1, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I started taking Paxil about two and a half months ago after many different antidepressants. I was extremely fatigued until the exact 2 month mark then it was like a light bulb went off. I no longer felt exhausted or depressed. The social anxiety no longer plagued me though I don't feel it has been a total cure. But overall, I feel really good. Strangely enough, I have no side effects. No sexual side effects. No sleep issues. Nothing. Paxil is my top choice for the antidepressants I have tried. I am diagnosed bipolar and ADHD as well so I also take an atypical antipsychotic, stimulants, and Xanax strictly for panic attacks. Paxil has really softened the edges for me in combination with everything else I take."

Rissa44 May 31, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I get depressed, had low energy and serious sexual side effects, Prozac is better tolerated"

mega90 (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I began taking Paxil 'by choice' 15 years ago; when my panic and anxiety was out of control. I didn't realize I had always suffered from depression until I took this medicine.The very fist day I took the 20 mgs. I felt a calmness like never before.The first couple of weeks or so I felt a little zoned out; perhaps more depressed seeming. Looking back I think my depression was left on its own. It took a couple of weeks to improve that but it did. I was on it for 2 years before weaning off due to weight gain and thinking I was better. I fell back into severe depression and panic. Went back on it, tried to wean again. Same response. A third time put me in the hospital. 7 years later I still have to take meds but nothing has helped since paxil."

Marchbaby (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 26, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "This drug made me feel super high. I felt like I was on meth, couldn't sleep and felt to intoxicated to drive. Quit after a few days."

B in CO May 20, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "This was prescribed for anxiety. I had recently been diagnosed with several sleep related issues as well as my asthma increasing. I have a long standing problem with recurrent bouts of depression which I treat when they are present. I have a history of antidepressants causing an increase of depression. Since beginning Paxil as directed by my doctor two months ago at10 mg daily, I have noticed a gradual increase of both my depressive episodes as well as my headaches... I do have a history of migraines for 20 years due to a head injury."

Pammus May 20, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been very unsure and reluctantly gave in to trying paroxetine as a first anti-depressant I've ever tried. Before I took them my moderate depression (triggered by several major life changes with a huge amount of stress) quickly developed into more severe depression and anxiety. I thought honestly 'anything has to be better than how I'm feeling'. And after months of the box of paroxetine sitting in my drawer which was prescribed by my doctor, I knew I had to try. And I am happy to share that my anxiety was reduced 90% from the second day. What a surprise and a huge relief. The depression symptoms are lifting after only one week. So I am highly praising this medication. I feel the benefits I've so far experienced far outweigh the mild side effects."

Journeytolight May 7, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I used to be a paratrooper but as I aged I developed anxieties that eventually interfered with my daily life. For example I became terrified of flying, driving in winter, or crossing bridges. I got to the point where I would cross a bridge and even though I knew my fears were irrational, I felt like I would pass out when crossing one and would drive many miles to avoid them. I was talking to a total stranger and mentioned my irrational fear of driving in winter and he suggested Paxil. He was a rough neck hunter who developed a fear of climbing tree stands which made him unable to hunt. I figured if it worked for him I should try it! Thank goodness I did! Game Changer! I cross bridges and am amazed I ever feared them!"

Old_Paratrooper_Afraid_To_Fly May 5, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I've taken 10 mg for 5 years for panic disorder, and it has drastically improved my quality of life. I also take 10 mg of Buspar because I did experience a very bad panic attack one year ago. I used to take 20 mgs over 5 years ago for 6 months, but it affected my sexual response. I think so long as you take JUST enough, it can really work."

storey. (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 3, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was suicidal for many years, I tried NOT to commit suicide but ended up trying 5 times, I started in 180 miligrams of Elavil but craved sweets and gained weight and was always tired. I started on Paxil and have taken it for 20 or so years. I started at 50mg and now take 40mg, I feel completely normal. I haven't gained weight. My diagnosis was Major Endoginal Depression."

janny b May 2, 2015