User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 40 medications

Depression 114 reviews 75 medications

7.3
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 454 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Review by Hot and bothered:

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: I am beyond furious. Not only did Brisedelle live up to its promise of eliminating night sweats and hot flashes, they failed to mention (as did my doctor) about the side effects when stopping them. After 5 months of taking it, I decided it wasn't working for me. Now, I am left with what I have discovered are "Brain Zaps". There are other ways to help with these symptoms.

February 27, 2015 5:28 AM

Review by harvco:

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: My hot flashes has reduced tremendously. Initially, I thought it was not working until I stopped taking it. When I went back on the meds I have been almost normal. I am pleased

February 13, 2015 5:30 PM

Review by ktttt (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: This really does work. I've never been more confident and happier. Even my family and friends said something has changed. I also don't get as nervous in intimate situations. Give it a try if you're skeptical.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2015 8:53 PM

Review by ugene1234:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Made me feel like I was floating. Lasted 12-18 hours after each dose. I had to stop it to function at all.

February 7, 2015 5:15 PM

Review by tokei (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I had anxiety all of my life and I didn't even know it until 2012 and Paxil change my life and now I'm back to my old self. And I only took it for to months thanks for my doctor given it to me.

February 4, 2015 11:55 PM

Review by Anxiouschic:

For Anxiety: Anxiety attacks. Started on 10mg of paroxetine. Felt a small change, only side affects were diarrhea, dizzy but it went away after about a month. Increased anxiety led me to up dose to 20 mg. I feel amazing now. I can say my thoughts of death have disappeared. I feel happy again, taking one day at a time. DONT keep suffering! Get help

February 2, 2015 2:19 PM

Review by KateisGrate:

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: Made my depression and anxiety worse. Caused more instances of suicidal ideation.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2015 9:11 PM

Review by Erica0812:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Works great for my anxiety. Have experienced some negative side effects such as terrible night sweats and "highs and lows".

January 19, 2015 9:53 AM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I had my first anxiety attack when my oldest son was 2 years old & ended up in the ER. My doctor prescribed Paxil & it really helped. I've been on it for about 16 years now..even took it when I was pregnant with my second child. The only side effect I've really had is weight gain.

January 18, 2015 8:56 PM

Review by Clancabell (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: This is my second time on paroxetine after suffering with severe panic attacks and depression, I was a complete wreck but had to do something quickly! I tried all the self help programmes as well but nothing worked! The doctor put me on another medicine first (sertraline). I was in a state after 3 weeks and severe insomnia, weight loss due to no appetite! So I decided to go back to paroxetine. I started on 5mg and slowly went up to 20mg over about 5 weeks, I'm now feeling so much better, this medicine has helped me get back to my old self and I'm thankful for that! I'm in the UK so don't pay insurance.

January 18, 2015 4:25 AM

Review by Ashleyyy:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I love Paxil but I have to say I have pur on weight being on it and I have the most horrible vivid nightmares where I can't wakeup. I think it works great for anxiety but I think maybe this medicine has stopped working because I've been on it so long it has improved my life for the better but I'm thinking of changing now cause it just doesn't do the same for me anymore.

January 6, 2015 8:28 PM

Review by CoreyTheFemale (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paxil is better than other medicines I have taken for my anxiety by far. But, there are flaws with it. Being forgetful, I forget to take my medicine sometimes, and if I forget, I will get sick due to withdrawal. I am also a very skinny person and a picky eater already, and with taking Paxil, I have an extreme loss of appetite. Eating to me is now a chore and my body will not tell me when I am hungry until I go into shock due to malnutrition. But, all of this is worth it to get rid of my terrible anxiety. It is extremely worth it.

January 6, 2015 9:15 AM

Review by Frenchy69:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Suffered from Panic Attacks and some depression because of the panic attacks as I was unable to get back to work for three months. Paroxetine has always worked for me without too much side effect. The first few weeks a little nauseous but then it passed as I got use to it (I started with 20mg and now on 10mg). The only drawback is that I've put on weight (one stone extra in the last 7 years but I would rather be a little overweight and well in my head). I've tried to stop on two occasions in the last 7 years by gradually going down to 5mg and then less and then nothing. On both occasion my body reacted well for about 6 months and then out of nowhere I started to have panic attacks again each time. I've decided to keep taking 10mg.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 31, 2014 6:24 AM

Review by EmilyN19:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: There is a lot of other reviews that I have read that sums a lot of it up. Yes, you will most likely experience yawning, nausea, and headaches at first. It does go away! At first I also noticed a change in my sex life. I could still get in the mood but found it near impossible to orgasm. Also, with sleep, I did feel tired for a bit, but I think it was because I experienced trouble sleeping at first. I found some things that helped fix some of this: I went from 20mg to 10mg a day. I took it right after breakfast. This one is important! Exercise! I started running again and I found that it had an extremely positive effect and it went well with the medication. A lot of the jitters I got at first went away, it helped me sleep better, and more!

December 28, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by Shachar:

For Hot Flashes: Had surgical menopause and started this two weeks before surgery. I am now two weeks past surgery and have not experienced a single hot flash or any other menopause symptom. I sleep great and feel much more calm. It did make me tired for the first week and have brain fog, but that passed.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 8:58 PM

Review by blue devil (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Hot Flashes: Increased to 30mg. And big improvement. It took 7-8 weeks to help but usually 1-2 hot flashes per day, no night sweats anymore. Love the calming effect. No other side effects. Just waiting for them to stop all together.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 8:48 PM

Review by HateDamnRobotText:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Waking up with negative thoughts and anxiety mostly in the morning, most of my life. Due to major problems at work, Dr gave me Zoloft and the like--- all were HORRID. Finally heard about Paxil, got on it, and the days all became sunny, with birds singing outside, even in winter. Was on it (20mg I think) for more than 8 years. The ONLY downside was major loss of sexual interest. Perhaps the dose was too high. Easily weaned off of it 2 years ago, over 1 month, without problems, except that the anxieties are back. At age 70, I may go back on it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2014 5:17 PM

Review by drkatie2:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I have been on Paxil now for about 10 years. My dosage was 20 milligrams for a long time. Within the last two months I was feeling emotionless. I finally went to my doctor today and described my feelings to her. She changed my dosage to 40 milligrams. I feel better already! If it wasn't for Paxil I would be a basket case like I was before I went on it. I no longer have panic attacks and very little anxiety now. For those who are having a bad experience with Paxil...don't give up. You may need a different dosage or an entirely different antidepressant. Mental fragility is nothing to take lightly. Keep asking for help until you get it. Good luck to all of you.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2014 9:57 PM

Review by sassymel (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I've been on Paxil for 3 days and I honestly can say I've been sleep mostly. Jaws are clicking. But I feel calm .. I hope it works out for Me. I also started meditations so I've been real spaced out. I can barely live my life with my anxiety. I will definitely post in 2 weeks with my progress.

December 14, 2014 11:37 PM

Review by BreeB:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I started taking Prozac after failing to be able to deal with some traumatic events happening in my life over an extended period of time. The Prozac made me quite shaky and left me with a feeling of extreme nervousness. I kept imagining flying off my balcony (for real). My doctor said it was very rare to have this sort of reaction. I hired a therapist. I switched doctors. I was prescribed Paroxetine. It made me feel normal again. If you have a bad reaction to Prozac, don't be afraid to let your doctor know. People react differently to medicines, even when they're supposed to be close to the same thing.

December 12, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by Sharub (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: First of all, I never realized that I had OCD until I told my doctor I couldn't sleep because I couldn't control my thoughts. I thought OCD only manifested itself in physical rituals. Paxil has literally saved my life. It broke a 14 year cycle of racing, uncontrollable thoughts/insomnia/anxiety/depression. I have been taking Paxil for 15 years now.

December 11, 2014 10:40 PM

Review by cotton100:

For Hot Flashes: Been taking paxil for years. Started having hot flashes and they continue, Paxil has not effect on them.

December 10, 2014 9:27 PM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My anxiety sky rocketed while on this medication so much that my doctor prescribed Xanax. I was terrified and unable to sleep for more than a couple hours.

December 7, 2014 5:34 PM

Review by Redhead0893:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Paxil was the first antidepressant I was put on when I was first diagnosed with depression roughly a year and a half ago. While it did stop the suicidal thoughts, the side effects were just not worth it for me. It made me tired ALL THE TIME. And not just kind of sleepy. It was more like I could get a full nights rest, wake up, and not half an hour later feel so exhausted that if I laid down on the ground I could take a nap right there. It also took away my ability to orgasm. I'm a 21 y/o (20 at the time) college girl who is a pretty sexually open person. So to say I was not down to never have another orgasm while on it would be a huge understatement. Did work, but not worth the side effects.

December 6, 2014 12:49 PM

Review by Johnnie4 (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I have been on Paxil for over 20 years. I always hoped something better would come along, i.e., without side effects of weight gain and dry mouth. I have most of my back teeth crowned and have lost a few and have implants. It's a choice. Nothing is benign, but I have found this is the only medication that I can tolerate, and it does help. So, I guess I will stick it out and see. Good medication, not so good side effects.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate