User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 23 reviews 52 medications

Pain 13 reviews 1070 medications

5.3
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 402 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Sedation: "I am a heavy drinker that doesn't want to quit drinking his pint of Vodka every evening. However, I suffer from MDD so I take 20Mg lexapro every other day and sometimes I cut the pill in half for only 10Mg in the morning due to sleepiness. Vistaril was prescribed as an anti anxiety solution over Ativan -- which just made me want to drink more. Vistaril at bedtime has given me the most solid 8 -10 hours of sleep with awesome vivid dreams, strange sometimes yes, but man, the REM is fantastic and I truly feel energetic when I wake up now."

Dual Diagnosis Dad (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2016

For Sedation: "I love this medication... when I lay down for sleep at night I cannot turn my mind off. Its so frustrating! My doctor recommended this medication because its non habit forming. It works like a charm for the most part... I will still wake up sometimes but I am so relaxed I can easily fall back asleep. I don't have a problem getting up in the morning or starting my day. My only concern is taking this medication everyday and hope its not harmful to my body."

Falen (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2016

For Allergies: "I was prescribed this medication when I was 7 years old to treat my skin allergies and it really helps me. It's the kind of medicine that relaxes you and clears your tension to the point where it makes you very sleepy. A major side effect of this drug is that it causes drowsiness so it would be best to take it maybe 2 hours prior to your bed time. I also always wake up very hungry and I believe it has something to do with your hormones. It can be taken to reduce anxiety, help insomnia, or maybe even increasing your appetite. Never experienced anything bad from it. Been on the medication for 12 years."

Ash28376 (taken for 10 years or more) May 17, 2016

For Sedation: "My experience : I was prescribed 1-2, 25 mg tabs before bed for sleep. It did put me to sleep in about an hour to 2 hours and I would only wake up once during the night but the grogginess, zombie-like feeling made it very difficult to wake up and stay up the rest of the day. I would sneak in a nap or two. It would finally wear off around 4 in the afternoon. After about a month, I stopped taking it."

srilamm (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2016

For Sedation: "This was prescribed to me the same day I was diagnosed with depression to help aid me sleep more. I average 3-4 hours of sleep per night. The 100mg dose prescribed to me did help give me a relaxation and heavy feeling. However, I still slept just as terribly, and in addition to walking up frequently I was hallucinating even more than I generally did because of my terrible sleep. In the morning I was unable to get out of bed and remained there for an additional 8 hours waking up about every 5 minutes. My body felt extremely heavy and tired and not refreshed in any way. If a doctor prescribes this to you to help you sleep and you don't have any anxiety, I'd say stay away."

ZuluNine May 5, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed this at a in patient drug rehab center. They wouldn't allow me to stay on my klonopin or any other"Benzos". I ended up being very sick and the rehab center sent me out to hospital after I had a seziure from withdrawal. The hospitalI was put in gave me a shot of valium. Then by mouth they put me on phenobarbital. Anyhow, the hydroxyzine did nothing for me personally. I never abused my klonopins or urgeso many people dying by taking handfuls of them is making it hard to find a psychiatrist who should know not all people on klonopin,xanax, etc. have anxiety they taste it for a buzz or to sell. It makes it hard on is who really do have panic/anxiety disorders, and P.T.S.D. I think hydroxyzine is nothing better then a benadryl."

MYKIDSAREMYLIFE04280610 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2016

For Anxiety: "It didn't have much effect the first 2 nights but , after that I've had the most vivid dream state i have ever experienced & stay asleep throughout the entire night , sometimes I wake up well rested and there are times I wake up really drowsy. It kinda helps me calm down at night I haven't taken any during the day because I don't want to fall asleep during the day but overall it helps me a lot. Better than any other medication for insomnia that I have taken."

geny-r. (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

For Anxiety: "Hydroxyzine and Benadryl saved my life!!! I took a trip for 4 months to Wisconsin. In the last month I was full blown with panic, sense of fear, insomnia, fear of being alone! I thought it must be from stress, but I was wrong! I left that state and returned to Florida, my home land, and again the insane anxiety, and after 2 trips to ER I was prescribed hydroxyzine. Walla my suicidal thoughts were gone! And now I can sense the symptoms coming and I pop a pill of either and I'm good. ❤"

Brito May 5, 2016

For Anxiety: "This med is so wrong for me that i had tightness in both sides of my chest i freaked out .I am bi-polar and anxiety is very hard to live with. My chest got tight then it went in to a panic attack .Let it be used for what its meant for NOT FOR ME!!!!!"

T .KING (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed Atarax taking 25mg up to 3x daily or as needed. The first few days it made me groggy and want to sleep and experience very vivid dreams and nightmares. After a few days the grogginess went away and it actually helped me function while having high anxiety and helped to calm me. I still experience nightmares more often than I'd like to but I'd rather be functioning daily so I keep taking it"

Happy4me May 5, 2016

For Pruritus: "I have taken Hydroxyzine for around 30 years for chronic itchy skin and insomnia. I take it only once a day - at 6pm - and go to bed at 10pm. I take only 10mg, but also about 1.5mg of Temazepam (i.e. a bit broken off a 10mg pill) before going to bed. I get about 6.5 hours sleep usually. The down side of Hydroxyzine is that it makes one feel dopey for around 12 hours and affects short term memory in this period. However, for itching there is no other drug that is so effective."

Adam Pynacker (taken for 10 years or more) May 4, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have only been taking this medicine for 3 days now but I am extremely sensitive to medication so I usually know quite quickly how it effects me. It makes me extremely drowsy and also makes the bottom half of my face feel slightly numb. I also feel like I am about to pass out frequently which is not great. I hope it evens out after a while. It was prescribed to me to take the place of Xanax and to help me sleep. I was prescribed 25mg to take 1-2 twice daily as needed. I have already cut it down to 1 once a day about an hour before I go to bed. It does help me sleep, but it makes it difficult to wake up in the morning. It also helps with my anxiety."

Kat in a box April 29, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was given this for my anxiety. I take it when I feel a really bad spell and 15 min later I am calmed down and can function again. I absolutely love it. It does not make me sleepy but I have seemed to have gotten more vivid dreams since being on it."

pillowz1109 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 29, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was dealing with stress and anxiety super bad after my second baby was born, about 6 months ago...I was prescribed 25 mg to help. I would take the pill when I was feeling super stressed and anxious and felt soming, I guess, very subtle, I was hoping to feel an obvious calm about my body and thoughts...NOT with this med. I also had very vivid sacked out dreams and the worst part hands down is the fog of exhaustion I would feel the next day! Don't take this if you need to be productive or need quick relief from anxiety, at LEAST that's my experience."

Tabbitha (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2016

For Allergies: "I normally take Allegra and Flonase for my allergies. However, when I have breakthrough allergic symptoms, all I have to do is take a small dose of hydroxyzine (10 mg) and I feel significantly better within half an hour. Granted, it does make me feel somewhat sedated. However, that's pretty much a given for all first generation antihistamines. Furthermore, it makes me feel less out of it than Benadryl does. And, unlike Benadryl, hydroxyzine doesn't make my asthma worse; it actually improves my lung function! It does make me feel sleepy for at least 8 hours, but my allergies make me feel sleepy anyway, so this side effect doesn't really matter."

TheInsecureFrog (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

For Anxiety: "I feel a little bit more calm, ofcourse it wont completly make your anxiety disdapear but i feel better than usual, it helps me sleep good, makes me have weird crazy dreams but not bad. I take it right before i close my eyes, its better to take it right exactly when you're going to sleep, i feel its more effective."

Judess April 22, 2016

For Sedation: "I was prescribed 25 mg for anxiety. I was nervous to take it, but did finally after not being able to sleep one night. I knew some people said it sedated them, so I was hoping it would just knock me out for while. Didn't do much the first night or two, but after that hump it has been working! I dont feel very different anxiety wise, though.. Like some said it might take the edge off a bit but nothing strong whatsoever. I do smoke weed however so it could be altering the affects for me.. not sure"

shelllllllllllll (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

For Anxiety: "This stuff is retched. I was given this by my psychiatrist for insomnia and anxiety, while it worked okay for my insomnia the first couple of uses, it no longer does anything at all. It didn't do anything for my anxiety or panic. I took it when I started having a panic attack and I felt as though I was having an attack while encased in jello. It gave me an awful exhaustion hang over for days after taking it. It also gave me a tremor that still hasn't gone away. Honestly, it was insulting enough that I was prescribed an antihistamine for severe anxiety, but now I'm stuck with all my original issues and a tremor too."

ihavemigraines (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

For Anxiety: "I love this medication, I've been on it for years and it does double duty for me- Both as an allergy medication and Anxiety. While I've built up a tolerance to if over the years, I love that it's non-addictive and calms my mind enough that I can relax. While it doesn't make me sleepy, it does allow me to be calm and after an episode of high anxiety, this often does lead me to sleep. While not for everyone, I personally love it."

Shae81 April 19, 2016

For Pruritus: "I started taking this medicine when I was about 7 because I had severe eczema. My doctor only prescribed me 25mg at first because of my age, at first it would knock me out about 30-1 hour after taking it but it really helped with itching at night. Than as I got older by body got used to the medicine so my dosage was moved up to 50mg and it had the same effect. Than eventually I got all the to it and you have to take A LOT for it to work. . As i got older my eczema became more easy to control so i stopped taking but had it on stand by. Hydrozine is very good for allergies too or to help a allergic reaction."

Annmcphee April 19, 2016

For Sedation: "I cant believe all the negative reviews! I have been on Hydroxizine for years, and it has been the only remedy that has worked effortlessly for sleep. It calms you, AND makes you tired. It also helps you to sleep well- REM. It is also an antihistimine!!!! :) SO two in one miracle for me."

icemermaid (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 17, 2016

For Anxiety: "hydroxyzine is totally worthless. cain't afford to waste money on scrips that don't work"

pumpkin2222 April 13, 2016

For Sedation: "Tried 50 mg tablet at 8:30; felt nothing. Then took another 50 mg at 9:30 and didn't feel like it helped much either. Then in the morning, I was completely groggy and out of it all day; felt like a zombie. Next night, I took one 50 mg, and I definitely never fell asleep any faster. It might make you feel drowsy, but it didn't help promote sleep."

bsouthe1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Really good!!!!! I like atarax. Because: not addictive, makes me calm (and sleepy), calms anger restlessness and anxiety altogether. I am also on cymbalta and without cymbalta the atarax would probably be less effective. Atarax is my go-to when im anxious and i love it:)"

Elliotndbfjf (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2016

For Anxiety: "This medication is for my anxiety it knocks me out. I cannot function while on it. My doctor even halfed the dosage. It doesn't help. I don't think I'll ever take it again."

Bran8622 April 10, 2016