User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 17 reviews 51 medications

Pain 11 reviews 908 medications

5.4
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 264 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Pain: "I take Oxycontin 60mg 3x a day, and Roxycodone 15mg 4x a day for chronic back/neck pain. Sometimes I do too much walking, or get severe neck pain that the pain meds don't control. I add one 25mg Vistaril and it enhances my pain meds effectiveness. About 3 to 4 hours later I become EXTREMELY drowsy, and often fall asleep, not good in the middle of afternoon! I think the occasional Ativan is almost as helpful, w/o all the sedation. Good drug, only if I can afford to be asleep."

SPIKEYSmommy July 28, 2015

For Anxiety: "Got off of benzos using a Librium detox and after about a week, was having such bad withdrawal I couldn't take it anymore. On top of all the physical stuff, I felt like I was in a constant state of full blown panic. My doctor suggested I try this and it's been a life saver. Does it stop anxiety like a benzo? No. Does it take the edge off, most definitely. I take 50 mg 2- to 4xDay. It doesn't make me sleepy but it does make me a little dizzy. I have to wait about an hour after I take it to see if it's going to make me dizzy or not. When you first start taking it, give yourself some time to see how you will react. The impact lessens the longer you take it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Helped me a lot, non addictive, but some times it keeps me half sleeping and half awake at night time, otherwise its a great drug for its calming effect. Thanks"

Raj15 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

For Allergies: "My 4 1/2 year old started taking this when he was 2 for a severe dust mite allergy. He takes the maximum dose for his weight. It does help tremendously. If he misses a dose, his skin breaks out in a rash. Unfortunately for him, it has the opposite effect than it does with most people. It causes hyperactivity and insomnia."

mmoooommm July 20, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have GAD with some kind of OCD that make me stay focused on my worries so long time. I keep overthinking about my feared situations etc...Vistaril is highly sedating so that it's my number1 drug to fall asleep. It provides you with a relaxation when you feel tense and anxious. When the anxiety attack is so strong it's better to take a higher dose than usual. I think vistaril is better than benzos because hydroxyzine's effect is more stable and lasts longer during the day. I take it up to 4 times 1 or 1,5 25 mg pills. It's really useful for anxiety and stress."

MynameisLuca July 20, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "This is great for general anxiety. Calms you down fairly quickly and makes you "zoned out", mildly sedated and definitely less anxious. Not as strong as a benzo and will not stop a panic attack, but is great for when you are feeling panicky or generally anxious. Another plus is that it is not addictive. Absolutely no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. This DEFINITELY raises my resting pulse about 15 beats per minute and also raises diastolic blood pressure about 10 points even at a small dose. Even with these raises, mine is still within normal range, but just a word of caution."

J P S July 9, 2015

For Anxiety: "I would just like to add that it being my second time taking it both times it gave me nightmares and I would not call them seizures but more so define them as erratic,involuntary muscle spasims.Also, after taking other benzodiazepines I would disagree to it helping better than those. I think with the benzodiazepines you just have to find the right dosage for you as an individual. Also, sometimes what helps one individual, is not always going to help the next. Everybody reacts differently to different chemicals and medication. So even though it helps my anxiety during the day at night just the thought of the nightmares it gives me, gives me anxiety."

nightvivid (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2015

For Anxiety: "It helps out tremendously with my anxiety. For some reason I get extremely vivid nightmares. What is strange about the nightmares is that they always have the same setting as where I am sleeping. Also, when I have the nightmares after A short period of them starting , It's almost like I realise it's just a dream and I convert into a mode of half asleep, half awake. I'll be having the nightmare but I realise it's not real and try to wake my self up but at the same time I'm trying to wake up in my dream I feel like im trying so hard to move to open my eyes but I can't. Almost like a paralyzed state of being but than I wake up usually after the first nightmare they stop. But, not always. Has anybody else experienced this side effect?"

nightvivid (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2015

For Allergic Urticaria: "Itching, sick to my stomach, blood constantly in my nose, shakes, sore throat feel like I have a cold now. Cannot take antihistamines told doctor still insisted. My bites still itch and now I feel ill on a daily basis."

mmont55 July 3, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I just started this medication yesterday. I was extremely doubtful since I've tried xanex, clonapin, and valium. However, I was at the point that I was willing to try anything. Took my first dose around 6pm and I was truly impressed. So I think it works alot better for my anxiety than any benzos ever did. For weeks I've been feeling like I was about to crawl out of my skin. Lots of medical issues, high blood pressure. I'm in telephone sales and its not ideal for those with similar medical problems. Now I feel great. Excited to go to work tomorrow. This is coming from someone who thought only benzos helped. If your doctor gives it to you, try it, it works. I take less than what others say they take and I still stand by it."

Meytal83 June 27, 2015

For Allergic Urticaria: "My itching just kept coming so bad it would keep me awake all night. Even increasing the dosage didn't stop it. I have had no rash just itch from head to toes. I have had to deal with this for over two years and it's driving me nuts constantly itching. Hydroxyzine don't work and neither does Benedryl."

Itching never stopped (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 26, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "This is not a miracle worker. But it does greatly improve my GAD and social anxiety. Its does mildly sedate me. I take it every day. Usually take about 100 mg a day in divided doses."

DylPill90 June 11, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I had anxiety that I consider inexpressible. It was as bad as it can get. I took Xanax and it amplified my depression substantially, which increased my anxiety. Seeking a long term treatment rather than an addictive short term relief, I was prescribed Vistaril 50mg. This is a drug similar to Benadryl, but a bit stronger. It is nonaddictive, and DOES fight the anxiety without the side effects of Ativan/Xanax. This WILL NOT kill the anxiety alone. You must be on an SSRI such as Lexapro for this drug to fully combat GAD. I urge everyone to try this drug. There are no risks, and it may help you."

Maksymilian (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Taking 25mg every 12 hours. Makes me feel like I have a hang over the next day. As far as it helping my anxiety, well, it knocks me out. So I guess I can't be anxious if I'm asleep on the couch. Will be trying something else."

Shannonwashere (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015

For Anxiety: "After experiencing crippling anxiety and panic attacks, I took a leave of absence from and eventually lost my six figure lucrative job in Boston. I went into a residential treatment center for 2 months. I did a 7 week trial of Celexa and Paxil. Both made me severely more anxious, agitated, jittery and gained 20 pounds. I felt completely hopeless. At the center, they also introduced me to Vistaril. It was the ONLY thing that worked (besides Ativan, which is addictive). At one point I was up to 75mg/day and noticed my resting pulse was consistently 25-30bpm higher than usual. My diastolic BP also consistently was 10 higher. I lowered my dose to only 12.5mg/day and pulse and BP went back to normal and still worked well. It won't help depression though"

J p s s May 29, 2015

For Sedation: "Having tried the everything over the counter, the 'Z-drugs' which had no effect, seroquel which left me in a constant daydreaming state with terrible hangovers and not wanting to take more benzos I asked to try hydroxzyine since its essentially an allergy pill. I suffer from a slew of anxiety disorders and I would normal toss and turn in bed for 3-5 hours before getting a couple hours of sleep. But taking 100mg of hydroxyzine when I brush my teeth, by the time I'm in bed I can fall asleep in under 15 minutes. Its subtle anxiolytic effect and sedation is a perfect combination which allows me to feel I am falling asleep instead of being knocked unconscious. I wake up refreshed with no hangovers consistently."

TDinorino (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It's not really helping anything"

chris93838282 May 23, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I was recommended to switch from xanax to vistaril, but the vistaril did not help with my anxiety at all. I became extremely irritable (probably from the increased anxiety not being treated with xanax anymore). I did not notice any positive effects even after taking it for a month. I was told this medication was fast acting for panic attacks like xanax, but they did not help with the panic attacks in the least bit. I highly recommend that if you have severe debilitating anxiety to not even try this drug based on what I went through."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

For Anxiety: "This medicine defentaly helped me to stop my hands from shaking.But after around 8 months of taking the pill (which is how long I have been taking it) the medication is pretty non effective.I have decided that I need a stronger medication.One more thing to add is that the pill helped to stop me angina like chest pains"

Emily The Secret May 18, 2015

For Sedation: "Prescribed for sleep but didn't work. Only sleepy during the day!"

Dee Sessions (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2015

For Anxiety: "Game changer... It wasn't as heavily sedating as I thought it would be, but it sincerely helps me with my panic attacks along with the the help of self talk. Calms me right down, without the hungover feeling that Xanax and Klonopin leave you with."

Gypsygirl103 May 2, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have been on Vistaril for about a year now and it has helped my anxiety greatly. Not to mention no side effects at all. It also helps greatly with itching and extreme tension. I am taking 200 mg per day in two divided doses. I am very happy with this medication."

blaze22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I experienced unremittently high anxiety for almost a year before trying this medication. Panic attacks at least every third day, sometimes more than once each day, so severe that I visited the ER at least twice a month. Xanax helped for a few days but after that just made things worse and caused withdrawal even when taken less often than prescribed, buspar did nothing at all, and Celexa barely helped. Finally a nurse gave me a sample of this medication. It was a miracle drug. After a month anxiety-free I was able to stop taking it and now feel great. Side effects were so mild compared to other medications I've tried that I did not even notice them. It works much better than Dramamine for nausea too though it does make you sleepy"

PriPre (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been taking Atarax for about a month now for anxiety due to an obsessive amount of medical conditions that all seem to have started at around the same time. So I asked my doctor if there was anything I could take that was not addictive, that could help with my anxiety and he gave me atarax. OH MY GOD has this been a miracle drug! Not only do I sleep amazingly every night I feel relaxed enough to get through my day now! On top of that my allergies are now nonexistent and I've been able to refrain from smoking and drinking much more easily because of it. My only problem is the super weird and sometimes scary dreams I get if I take it before bed, but that's hardly an issue compared to how much it has helped me."

Troy7d5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Of the non-benzodiazepeine anti-anxiety agents, Vistaril is my first choice. Vistaril seperates itself from the others by rapidly inducing a pleasant & warm feeling. By comparison, things like Compazine and clonidine are much colder and more harsh in side effects. Although Vistaril is gentle & easy going for the first hour or so, a strong drowsiness will come on by Hour #2. But overall I'd still rank it as a side-effect-free type of medicine, when compared to other non-benzo anxiolytics."

BeyondAndB4 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2015