User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 16 reviews 52 medications

5.2
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 234 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Review by ecarbajal:

For Anxiety: Been on this medicine off and on for a few years. Usually by doctors who are convinced that every person who asks for a benzodiazepine must be addicted to them. This medication has very little effect on me. I have debilitating generalized anxiety disorder, severe treatment resistant obsessive compulsive disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. This medication is supposed to be for panic attacks. However for me it takes a while to kick in, and once it does, it only relieves a fraction of the intense and constant anxiety. It doesn't make me sleepy whatsoever, nor does it calm my restlessness.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 5, 2015 1:03 AM

Review by llwyatt90 (taken for less than 1 month):

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: It caused severe paranoia and ultra sensitivity to all senses.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2015 9:41 PM

Review by MastoMom (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: I have a rare disease called Systemic Mastocytosis that presents a varying number of symptoms caused by too much histamine being released in my body. Hydroxyzine relieved constant anxiety, fatigue, and muscle/bone pain. It also calms the nervous system down when I am itchy.

March 26, 2015 12:09 PM

Review by morganT80 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: My psychiatrist prescribed 50 MG of Hydroxyzine every 6 hours for anxiety. This medicine literally takes 15 minutes to kick in my system. In like a zombie. Literally drooling and having to be watched like a child. Works a little too good.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2015 4:35 PM

Review by Mollym2300 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Did not work on me at all. I was on 50mg

March 14, 2015 9:44 PM

Review by Birdy02:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: It worked for a while then it stopped working a few months later

March 12, 2015 5:05 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Has helped me quite a bit... went from a 2 ona scale of 1-10 to a 5... not so bad.

February 23, 2015 9:16 PM

Review by swtemolyn (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pruritus: severe itching for unknown reason(so far- test being taken) took 1 last night at 4 pm did not make me drowsy and itch did not even slightly approve.- very disappointed- going to give it another try today after work so I can take every 6 hours over the weekend this way if it does knock me out im home..

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2015 9:16 AM

Review by Lacie Love (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was taking 50 mg three times a day. It worked awesome for my anxiety, however after a month I started having seizures and severe muscle twitching and I had to stop it.

February 19, 2015 8:03 PM

Review by Srburnet24 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I've been taking hydroxine for a while now 50mg twice a day it help with anxiety but I have the opposite effect when it comes to making me tired it does not at all affect me in that way.

February 15, 2015 3:41 PM

Review by CorrieG (taken for less than 1 month):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: It has helped me to relax and not have as much anxiety.

February 12, 2015 2:42 AM

Review by donewbenzo:

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was on Cymbalta 90mg and had to stop cold turkey .. thank goodness for my Atarax. I am having severe withdrawals and I take 50mg up to 4 times a day . I also use this for my anxiety. I was addicted to Klonopin so I am thankful for this no addictive Atarax.

February 9, 2015 3:49 PM

For Anxiety: I was recently in the hospital for a panic attack, and everyday since I've had high anxiety. I was given this that night and it helped me cope, but I would always go to sleep when I took one. After a month I got put on sertraline (still waiting to see a difference), and the night anxiety got worse. So I take this when I feel I wont be able to talk myself out of a panic attack.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2015 11:12 PM

Review by Steve Stevenson:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I'm glad I was prescribed Vistaril. It relives anxiety quickly without all the downsides of Klonopin or Xanax. The drowsiness is more pronounced, but I'll take it over a panic attack. This seems like a good medicine to take as needed. Be careful driving, and remember to rely on natural coping skills as well. To the people experiencing an abnormal amount of drowsiness or nausea, just remember it's temporary. It was totally effective for me, and my anxiety is moderate.

February 6, 2015 8:38 PM

Review by Geo57 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I've been taking Zoloft and hydroxyzine for 5 months. I've been sober now for almost 8 years but was addicted to numerous meds off and on for 30 years, including Xanax, so I won't take benzos - Horrible withdrawal! My prescription was 25 mg as needed. That helped some, a little, I guess... Anyway, I found that if I take 25 mg early morning and again mid-afternoon it works. And it has never made me drowsy at all. Not even a little bit, so I guess it all depends on the individual.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2015 4:39 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have terrible anxiety, and my doctor prescribed this with Lamictal. I took it once to help bring me down from a massive anxiety attack and it knocked me down, but my anxiety elevated because my body was so weighed down but my mind was still panicking. I hated it, made everything worse, I could barely even speak in the 25mg dose.

January 25, 2015 11:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Every time I think I don't need this medicine I always go back to it. Now I found that with the Celexa it does not work as well.

January 22, 2015 6:32 PM

Review by Sebastian silva:

For Pain: Hydroxyzine works great mixed with any opioid for anxiety pretty good with withdrawal from benzodiazepines. Works like a charm, if you have this medicine keep it around when needed it could save your life.

January 17, 2015 10:58 PM

Review by AunasMom:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was prescribed this over Xanax because I breast feed and needed something safe to take for my extreme anxiety. I am bipolar so my levels of energy are usually very high and very anxious. I was unsure of this being able to calm me but it works great. I have experienced headaches from this medicine but I'll take that any day over my "high energy agitative states".

January 12, 2015 9:52 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Has not helped with anixiety at all. Just makes me terribly sleepy, so I cannot take it during the day

January 8, 2015 3:15 PM

Review by Rebecca1993:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed this medication for my anxiety and to help me sleep. I take one at night and I'm usually asleep within 30 minutes. The next day I find that I do take extra long to wake up but once I'm showered I'm fine. I wouldn't take it in the day as you most probably will fall asleep.

January 7, 2015 2:30 PM

Review by Prof11:

For Pruritus: Saw the post by DanniBee. The drowsiness appears to be dose dependent. Not sure, (I don't have strong data), but I think the anti-itch effect happens at a lower level for people that have high drowsiness. Try a low dosage (5 to 10 mg). I know this may be considered a near homeopathic dose, but I and others have seen the anti-itch effect work at these lower doses with people who have particularly high sensitivity to the drowsiness effect. Let me know if it works.

December 28, 2014 2:36 PM

Review by Leane56:

For Anxiety: I take very little for anxiety , and it really helps me sleep at night, almost too much, but the next day I feel lethargic , tired, and rather depressed, I wish it didn't because otherwise it works.

December 18, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Mimilereaux (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I had my first (and only so far) panic attack April 14,2014. I thought I was having a heart attack and had my husband take me to the E.R. After EKG was cleared the doctor gave me 2 Xanax and told me I suffered from a panic attack. I have not been the same since. I have had anxiety, arm pain and jaw pain (from tension), heart palpitations, hot flashes etc. I saw my doctor and she set me up with Hydroxyzine and it has been a life saver. 25mg up to 4 times A day as needed. I sleep great and function mostly every day normally. Every now and then I have a bad day , but very far and few between. 100% recommended to everyone.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by Littlethomas24 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Sedation: My 9 year old autistic son was prescribed 10mg of this two days ago. I was instructed to give it to him 30 mins before lay down time. My son is super energetic and is constantly and I do mean constantly running back and fourth in our home, it takes 3 hours to wind him down I'm exhausted, his sister is exhausted, and he is exhausted. I see absolutely no difference we are still struggling to sleep. The only thing that has changed is in the mornings it's almost as if he has a hangover from the medicine and can not wake up.

December 5, 2014 9:28 PM