User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 16 reviews 52 medications

Pain 10 reviews 924 medications

Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 224 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Has helped me quite a bit... went from a 2 ona scale of 1-10 to a 5... not so bad.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2015 9:16 PM

Review by swtemolyn (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pruritus: severe itching for unknown reason(so far- test being taken) took 1 last night at 4 pm did not make me drowsy and itch did not even slightly approve.- very disappointed- going to give it another try today after work so I can take every 6 hours over the weekend this way if it does knock me out im home..

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2015 9:16 AM

Review by Srburnet24 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I've been taking hydroxine for a while now 50mg twice a day it help with anxiety but I have the opposite effect when it comes to making me tired it does not at all affect me in that way.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2015 3:41 PM

Review by CorrieG (taken for less than 1 month):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: It has helped me to relax and not have as much anxiety.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2015 2:42 AM

Review by donewbenzo:

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was on Cymbalta 90mg and had to stop cold turkey .. thank goodness for my Atarax. I am having severe withdrawals and I take 50mg up to 4 times a day . I also use this for my anxiety. I was addicted to Klonopin so I am thankful for this no addictive Atarax.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 9, 2015 3:49 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have terrible anxiety, and my doctor prescribed this with Lamictal. I took it once to help bring me down from a massive anxiety attack and it knocked me down, but my anxiety elevated because my body was so weighed down but my mind was still panicking. I hated it, made everything worse, I could barely even speak in the 25mg dose.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2015 11:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Every time I think I don't need this medicine I always go back to it. Now I found that with the Celexa it does not work as well.

January 22, 2015 6:32 PM

Review by Sebastian silva:

For Pain: Hydroxyzine works great mixed with any opioid for anxiety pretty good with withdrawal from benzodiazepines. Works like a charm, if you have this medicine keep it around when needed it could save your life.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2015 10:58 PM

Review by AunasMom:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was prescribed this over Xanax because I breast feed and needed something safe to take for my extreme anxiety. I am bipolar so my levels of energy are usually very high and very anxious. I was unsure of this being able to calm me but it works great. I have experienced headaches from this medicine but I'll take that any day over my "high energy agitative states".

January 12, 2015 9:52 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Has not helped with anixiety at all. Just makes me terribly sleepy, so I cannot take it during the day

January 8, 2015 3:15 PM

Review by Rebecca1993:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed this medication for my anxiety and to help me sleep. I take one at night and I'm usually asleep within 30 minutes. The next day I find that I do take extra long to wake up but once I'm showered I'm fine. I wouldn't take it in the day as you most probably will fall asleep.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 2:30 PM

Review by Prof11:

For Pruritus: Saw the post by DanniBee. The drowsiness appears to be dose dependent. Not sure, (I don't have strong data), but I think the anti-itch effect happens at a lower level for people that have high drowsiness. Try a low dosage (5 to 10 mg). I know this may be considered a near homeopathic dose, but I and others have seen the anti-itch effect work at these lower doses with people who have particularly high sensitivity to the drowsiness effect. Let me know if it works.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 2:36 PM

Review by Leane56:

For Anxiety: I take very little for anxiety , and it really helps me sleep at night, almost too much, but the next day I feel lethargic , tired, and rather depressed, I wish it didn't because otherwise it works.

December 18, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Mimilereaux (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I had my first (and only so far) panic attack April 14,2014. I thought I was having a heart attack and had my husband take me to the E.R. After EKG was cleared the doctor gave me 2 Xanax and told me I suffered from a panic attack. I have not been the same since. I have had anxiety, arm pain and jaw pain (from tension), heart palpitations, hot flashes etc. I saw my doctor and she set me up with Hydroxyzine and it has been a life saver. 25mg up to 4 times A day as needed. I sleep great and function mostly every day normally. Every now and then I have a bad day , but very far and few between. 100% recommended to everyone.

December 10, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by Littlethomas24 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Sedation: My 9 year old autistic son was prescribed 10mg of this two days ago. I was instructed to give it to him 30 mins before lay down time. My son is super energetic and is constantly and I do mean constantly running back and fourth in our home, it takes 3 hours to wind him down I'm exhausted, his sister is exhausted, and he is exhausted. I see absolutely no difference we are still struggling to sleep. The only thing that has changed is in the mornings it's almost as if he has a hangover from the medicine and can not wake up.

December 5, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by Brandy B (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: My doctor prescribed Hydroxyzine for my anxiety. I was taking it along with my antidepressant. WOW. This medicine turned me into a zombie. If I wasn't asleep, I was completely lethargic. After I stopped taking my antidepressant, I decided to take a Hydroxyzine to see if it would still make me super tired. YEP. It also made me extremely grumpy and impatient.

December 5, 2014 7:54 PM

Review by JuneCountrygirl34 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I am 34/Female with marked panic attacks. I have health /doctor office anxiety. I have to say Vistaril has done wonders for me. It seemed to take a few weeks before I could really feel it's effects though. I have to keep a small amount in my system before it helps with a panic attack. I can take 1-2 25 mg pills 3 X a day as needed for anxiety. I usually take 1/2 of a 25 mg pill twice a day. When I feel an attack starting, I take another 1 to 1 1/2 pills. It stops the attack quickly. I feel like I've got my life back some, & it feels like a safety blanket. It does dry my mouth out though & I only recommend it for marked anxiety. I do not have any depression.

November 26, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by Linzi8083:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Didn't help me with my anxiety at all. Just made me physically exhausted and unable to function during the day.

November 26, 2014 3:38 AM

Review by MauriCruz9 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Bipolar. Now on Atarax and Buspar together. Things have gotten better. No side effects except vivid dreams, if you are like me you'd rather have those than anxiety.

November 25, 2014 3:01 PM

Review by Bayougal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: Prescribed Hydroxyzine a year ago for itching/rash/hives. Worked extremely well. My skin cleared up and didnt need to take anymore. I also suffer with anxiety/panic attack/ agoraphobia and stress. Heard that hydroxyzine can also be used for that. About 30 minutes ago I began having a severe anxiety/panic attack. My arm and face hurt, tingling/numbness, fear I am dying, etc. So I took two 25mg and hoping it will lesson all my panicky feelings. As of now symptoms have lessened but not gone. Not extremely sleepy/tired but slight sedation. In the past with taking for the itching/hives and rash the sedation usually kicked in about an hour after taking. So it could do the same - which would be fine with me.

October 24, 2014 9:05 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Allergies: I absolutely love this medicine, it has changed my life. I have had eczema since I was a baby and extremely sensitive skin, to the point where my clothes bother me and just little things that make me very irritable. I started this medication as a liquid when I was three years old, now I am 18 and I take it as a pill everyday. To anyone out there that is questioning taking it, I highly recommend. I haven't had many side effects but I will warn you, depending on the dosage it basically puts you to sleep. I take it right before I go to sleep and I dont recommend taking it at any other time.

October 22, 2014 11:53 AM

Review by KickRocks84 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Sedation: My psychiatrist just prescribed me this medication to help me sleep at night since I have trouble sleeping, supposedly it takes 15 to 45 mins to take in effect, the only effect I got was a calming effect but wasn't sleepy like it was intended for..therefor I became more agitated, crying for no apparent reason, and more fidgety then ever..So unfortunately I was the unfortunate one where it does not work for.

October 17, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by AnxietyDude (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: This medicine does what it's supposed to do. A 50mg capsule usually is enough to dispel panic attacks and return me to baseline. I don't take any more because I can't deal with the drowsiness during the day and I take something else for sleeping at night. No benzodiazepine-like euphoria, just simple no-frills relief.

October 16, 2014 9:54 PM

Review by waslosingit:

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Has changed my life. I didn't know how bad my anxiety was until I got relief from Atarax!! I don't even need anywhere near the full dose to relieve my constant building thoughts of what I should be doing or may not be able to do because of my other debilitating illnesses. I am so grateful!! I no longer feel constantly wound so tight I might snap!

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2014 10:40 AM

Review by Anxiety and Add:

For Anxiety: I took one little 10mg and a Adderall 10mg as well. And let me tell you THOSE DO NOT MIX. I was at school and the time and I tried to write and my are was what felt like 50 pounds and I just sat there smiling like I was very high.

September 20, 2014 2:36 PM