User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 18 reviews 49 medications

Pain 11 reviews 906 medications

5.4
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 275 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Sedation: "Hydroxyzine is an oldie; but a keeper. It is more powerful than it's younger brother Zyrtec and lasts 24-36 hours. If taken at night, there is little chance of a 'hangover effect' or residual drowsiness. It is probably the safest and most effective sleep medication available; and you don't build a tolerance or addiction. As a HCL salt; check your liver and kidneys annually to make sure there are no ill affects which are rare."

Alexander-X (taken for 10 years or more) August 23, 2015

For Sedation: "I have been having pretty bad anxiety for most of my life. It has much recently become worse. I saw a psychiatrist for the first time, and she asked how my sleep was. I told her it was pretty awful. I woke up every two hours. I never felt like I got a full nights rest. She prescribed me this medicine. She said I could take one 25mg capsule and if I still couldn't sleep, take another 25mg capsule. I took a 25mg capsule before bed. It definitely calmed me down and made me somewhat drowsy, but I still couldn't fall asleep. I waited 2 hours and took another 25mg capsule as directed. I fell asleep in about 10 minutes and never woke up during the night. I woke up feeling refreshed! No side effects except dry mouth! I love this drug."

SleeplessSusan August 20, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I experience severe social and generalised anxiety. I was given 25mg of Atarax to take twice a day. I didn't feel it relieved my anxiety symptoms. It made me very sleepy. When I awoke in the morning I felt very groggy, constant yawning and didn't feel I could pay attention or properly, function at my job or get housework/errands done. I personally do not find Atarax helpful for anxiety."

shemightbelost (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 18, 2015

For Pruritus: "Unfortunately, this did nothing for me during a lupus flare. The only affect it had was to make me so drowsy and disoriented that I actually collapsed in my bathroom and woke up sometime later with a large bump on my head from falling. It was a scary experience. I don't plan on using this again."

Justmehere19 August 16, 2015

For Anxiety: "I got prescribed 50mg of the generic vistaril and took one. Woah. It knocked me out so bad and then all the next day I had a hangover feeling. I now take 12.5mg and now it helps me sleep but I still have a major hangover feeling the next day and want to just sleep and sleep."

DEE0316 August 16, 2015

For Anxiety: "I took 25mg, and it didn't put me to sleep at all, I stood up the entire night and didn't even go to bed until 3pm, I took it at around midnight . My lips started to feel inflamed and I got tremors which started to scare me a bit. I asked the pharmacist if I can take 50mg and I'm going to try it again tonight, hopefully it works!"

BrandonPizzaSlice August 9, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Im 18, and I've never been on medications before... i have performance- and social anxiety. So when i went to my doctors and asked for something to help me survive my everyday life, he recommended Atarax. But i have been taking them for 2 weeks now with no effect what so ever... granted, they are only 10 mg and small as a breadcrumb, but i was at least expecting some effect from it. The only thing i felt was nausea and dizziness.... must say im quite disappointed "

sofiepofie (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

For Anxiety: "Having severe anxiety all my life, on and off many different meds, hydroxyzine has been a life saver!!! Only taking it for a month now and I can tell such a huge difference! My anxiety use to rule my life and now I feel like im human again. It takes effect fast with no side effects!! A true miracle drug!!"

his michelle (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2015

For Allergies: "This medication was prescribed to me in may (2015) 150mg as needed to treat anxiety but my pharmacist also said that it also treats allergies such as skin conditions. I take 50mg at night for sleep because of anxiety and I sleep really good at night. I usually have a eczema breakout in really cold winters and humid summers. Ever since I started this med I have not had any skin allergies. This med also works well for detox such as xanax and clonopin addiction. People who whine about this med not working its probably because u haven't been on it long enough for the med to work I asked my pharmacist about it"

LilLotus (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2015

For Anxiety: "I was put on this medication back in may (2015) for anxiety also for detox because I was on xanax for 8years and then I was on clonopin for 3years. Im supposed to be taking this med 3 times a day (150mg) as needed. I don't take the full max I only take 50 at night and do I sleep good at night I'm usually up at 6am but now I'm waking up at 9 in the morning and I do feel like I'm on cloud 9 but I feel better being on this med. it also works very well for my eczema"

lilLotus (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2015

For Anxiety: "My GP prescribed this for anxiety. I took one 50mg pill at around 3pm and feel asleep until about 9pm. I stayed up an hour or two (don't really recall, I was very woozy) and fell *back* asleep until 11am the next day. I was groggy all day and a bit so even into the next day. I am scared to take this during the day if I'm having anxiety. I have insomnia and want to try it as a sleep aid, just not if I'm going to sleep and feel groggy for so long. I'll update if I try it."

Heathen9 July 31, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Pain: "I take Oxycontin 60mg 3x a day, and Roxycodone 15mg 4x a day for chronic back/neck pain. Sometimes I do too much walking, or get severe neck pain that the pain meds don't control. I add one 25mg Vistaril and it enhances my pain meds effectiveness. About 3 to 4 hours later I become EXTREMELY drowsy, and often fall asleep, not good in the middle of afternoon! I think the occasional Ativan is almost as helpful, w/o all the sedation. Good drug, only if I can afford to be asleep."

SPIKEYSmommy July 28, 2015

For Anxiety: "Got off of benzos using a Librium detox and after about a week, was having such bad withdrawal I couldn't take it anymore. On top of all the physical stuff, I felt like I was in a constant state of full blown panic. My doctor suggested I try this and it's been a life saver. Does it stop anxiety like a benzo? No. Does it take the edge off, most definitely. I take 50 mg 2- to 4xDay. It doesn't make me sleepy but it does make me a little dizzy. I have to wait about an hour after I take it to see if it's going to make me dizzy or not. When you first start taking it, give yourself some time to see how you will react. The impact lessens the longer you take it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Helped me a lot, non addictive, but some times it keeps me half sleeping and half awake at night time, otherwise its a great drug for its calming effect. Thanks"

Raj15 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

For Allergies: "My 4 1/2 year old started taking this when he was 2 for a severe dust mite allergy. He takes the maximum dose for his weight. It does help tremendously. If he misses a dose, his skin breaks out in a rash. Unfortunately for him, it has the opposite effect than it does with most people. It causes hyperactivity and insomnia."

mmoooommm July 20, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have GAD with some kind of OCD that make me stay focused on my worries so long time. I keep overthinking about my feared situations etc...Vistaril is highly sedating so that it's my number1 drug to fall asleep. It provides you with a relaxation when you feel tense and anxious. When the anxiety attack is so strong it's better to take a higher dose than usual. I think vistaril is better than benzos because hydroxyzine's effect is more stable and lasts longer during the day. I take it up to 4 times 1 or 1,5 25 mg pills. It's really useful for anxiety and stress."

MynameisLuca July 20, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "This is great for general anxiety. Calms you down fairly quickly and makes you "zoned out", mildly sedated and definitely less anxious. Not as strong as a benzo and will not stop a panic attack, but is great for when you are feeling panicky or generally anxious. Another plus is that it is not addictive. Absolutely no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. This DEFINITELY raises my resting pulse about 15 beats per minute and also raises diastolic blood pressure about 10 points even at a small dose. Even with these raises, mine is still within normal range, but just a word of caution."

J P S July 9, 2015

For Anxiety: "I would just like to add that it being my second time taking it both times it gave me nightmares and I would not call them seizures but more so define them as erratic,involuntary muscle spasims.Also, after taking other benzodiazepines I would disagree to it helping better than those. I think with the benzodiazepines you just have to find the right dosage for you as an individual. Also, sometimes what helps one individual, is not always going to help the next. Everybody reacts differently to different chemicals and medication. So even though it helps my anxiety during the day at night just the thought of the nightmares it gives me, gives me anxiety."

nightvivid (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2015

For Anxiety: "It helps out tremendously with my anxiety. For some reason I get extremely vivid nightmares. What is strange about the nightmares is that they always have the same setting as where I am sleeping. Also, when I have the nightmares after A short period of them starting , It's almost like I realise it's just a dream and I convert into a mode of half asleep, half awake. I'll be having the nightmare but I realise it's not real and try to wake my self up but at the same time I'm trying to wake up in my dream I feel like im trying so hard to move to open my eyes but I can't. Almost like a paralyzed state of being but than I wake up usually after the first nightmare they stop. But, not always. Has anybody else experienced this side effect?"

nightvivid (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2015

For Allergic Urticaria: "Itching, sick to my stomach, blood constantly in my nose, shakes, sore throat feel like I have a cold now. Cannot take antihistamines told doctor still insisted. My bites still itch and now I feel ill on a daily basis."

mmont55 July 3, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I just started this medication yesterday. I was extremely doubtful since I've tried xanex, clonapin, and valium. However, I was at the point that I was willing to try anything. Took my first dose around 6pm and I was truly impressed. So I think it works alot better for my anxiety than any benzos ever did. For weeks I've been feeling like I was about to crawl out of my skin. Lots of medical issues, high blood pressure. I'm in telephone sales and its not ideal for those with similar medical problems. Now I feel great. Excited to go to work tomorrow. This is coming from someone who thought only benzos helped. If your doctor gives it to you, try it, it works. I take less than what others say they take and I still stand by it."

Meytal83 June 27, 2015

For Allergic Urticaria: "My itching just kept coming so bad it would keep me awake all night. Even increasing the dosage didn't stop it. I have had no rash just itch from head to toes. I have had to deal with this for over two years and it's driving me nuts constantly itching. Hydroxyzine don't work and neither does Benedryl."

Itching never stopped (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 26, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "This is not a miracle worker. But it does greatly improve my GAD and social anxiety. Its does mildly sedate me. I take it every day. Usually take about 100 mg a day in divided doses."

DylPill90 June 11, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I had anxiety that I consider inexpressible. It was as bad as it can get. I took Xanax and it amplified my depression substantially, which increased my anxiety. Seeking a long term treatment rather than an addictive short term relief, I was prescribed Vistaril 50mg. This is a drug similar to Benadryl, but a bit stronger. It is nonaddictive, and DOES fight the anxiety without the side effects of Ativan/Xanax. This WILL NOT kill the anxiety alone. You must be on an SSRI such as Lexapro for this drug to fully combat GAD. I urge everyone to try this drug. There are no risks, and it may help you."

Maksymilian (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Taking 25mg every 12 hours. Makes me feel like I have a hang over the next day. As far as it helping my anxiety, well, it knocks me out. So I guess I can't be anxious if I'm asleep on the couch. Will be trying something else."

Shannonwashere (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015