User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 16 reviews 52 medications

5.2
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 216 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Every time I think I don't need this medicine I always go back to it. Now I found that with the Celexa it does not work as well.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2015 6:32 PM

Review by Sebastian silva:

For Pain: Hydroxyzine works great mixed with any opioid for anxiety pretty good with withdrawal from benzodiazepines. Works like a charm, if you have this medicine keep it around when needed it could save your life.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2015 10:58 PM

Review by AunasMom:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was prescribed this over Xanax because I breast feed and needed something safe to take for my extreme anxiety. I am bipolar so my levels of energy are usually very high and very anxious. I was unsure of this being able to calm me but it works great. I have experienced headaches from this medicine but I'll take that any day over my "high energy agitative states".

January 12, 2015 9:52 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Has not helped with anixiety at all. Just makes me terribly sleepy, so I cannot take it during the day

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 3:15 PM

Review by Leane56:

For Anxiety: I take very little for anxiety , and it really helps me sleep at night, almost too much, but the next day I feel lethargic , tired, and rather depressed, I wish it didn't because otherwise it works.

December 18, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Mimilereaux (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I had my first (and only so far) panic attack April 14,2014. I thought I was having a heart attack and had my husband take me to the E.R. After EKG was cleared the doctor gave me 2 Xanax and told me I suffered from a panic attack. I have not been the same since. I have had anxiety, arm pain and jaw pain (from tension), heart palpitations, hot flashes etc. I saw my doctor and she set me up with Hydroxyzine and it has been a life saver. 25mg up to 4 times A day as needed. I sleep great and function mostly every day normally. Every now and then I have a bad day , but very far and few between. 100% recommended to everyone.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by Littlethomas24 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Sedation: My 9 year old autistic son was prescribed 10mg of this two days ago. I was instructed to give it to him 30 mins before lay down time. My son is super energetic and is constantly and I do mean constantly running back and fourth in our home, it takes 3 hours to wind him down I'm exhausted, his sister is exhausted, and he is exhausted. I see absolutely no difference we are still struggling to sleep. The only thing that has changed is in the mornings it's almost as if he has a hangover from the medicine and can not wake up.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by Brandy B (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: My doctor prescribed Hydroxyzine for my anxiety. I was taking it along with my antidepressant. WOW. This medicine turned me into a zombie. If I wasn't asleep, I was completely lethargic. After I stopped taking my antidepressant, I decided to take a Hydroxyzine to see if it would still make me super tired. YEP. It also made me extremely grumpy and impatient.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 7:54 PM

Review by JuneCountrygirl34 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I am 34/Female with marked panic attacks. I have health /doctor office anxiety. I have to say Vistaril has done wonders for me. It seemed to take a few weeks before I could really feel it's effects though. I have to keep a small amount in my system before it helps with a panic attack. I can take 1-2 25 mg pills 3 X a day as needed for anxiety. I usually take 1/2 of a 25 mg pill twice a day. When I feel an attack starting, I take another 1 to 1 1/2 pills. It stops the attack quickly. I feel like I've got my life back some, & it feels like a safety blanket. It does dry my mouth out though & I only recommend it for marked anxiety. I do not have any depression.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by Linzi8083:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Didn't help me with my anxiety at all. Just made me physically exhausted and unable to function during the day.

November 26, 2014 3:38 AM

Review by MauriCruz9 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Bipolar. Now on Atarax and Buspar together. Things have gotten better. No side effects except vivid dreams, if you are like me you'd rather have those than anxiety.

November 25, 2014 3:01 PM

Review by Bayougal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: Prescribed Hydroxyzine a year ago for itching/rash/hives. Worked extremely well. My skin cleared up and didnt need to take anymore. I also suffer with anxiety/panic attack/ agoraphobia and stress. Heard that hydroxyzine can also be used for that. About 30 minutes ago I began having a severe anxiety/panic attack. My arm and face hurt, tingling/numbness, fear I am dying, etc. So I took two 25mg and hoping it will lesson all my panicky feelings. As of now symptoms have lessened but not gone. Not extremely sleepy/tired but slight sedation. In the past with taking for the itching/hives and rash the sedation usually kicked in about an hour after taking. So it could do the same - which would be fine with me.

October 24, 2014 9:05 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Allergies: I absolutely love this medicine, it has changed my life. I have had eczema since I was a baby and extremely sensitive skin, to the point where my clothes bother me and just little things that make me very irritable. I started this medication as a liquid when I was three years old, now I am 18 and I take it as a pill everyday. To anyone out there that is questioning taking it, I highly recommend. I haven't had many side effects but I will warn you, depending on the dosage it basically puts you to sleep. I take it right before I go to sleep and I dont recommend taking it at any other time.

October 22, 2014 11:53 AM

Review by KickRocks84 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Sedation: My psychiatrist just prescribed me this medication to help me sleep at night since I have trouble sleeping, supposedly it takes 15 to 45 mins to take in effect, the only effect I got was a calming effect but wasn't sleepy like it was intended for..therefor I became more agitated, crying for no apparent reason, and more fidgety then ever..So unfortunately I was the unfortunate one where it does not work for.

October 17, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by AnxietyDude (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: This medicine does what it's supposed to do. A 50mg capsule usually is enough to dispel panic attacks and return me to baseline. I don't take any more because I can't deal with the drowsiness during the day and I take something else for sleeping at night. No benzodiazepine-like euphoria, just simple no-frills relief.

October 16, 2014 9:54 PM

Review by waslosingit:

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Has changed my life. I didn't know how bad my anxiety was until I got relief from Atarax!! I don't even need anywhere near the full dose to relieve my constant building thoughts of what I should be doing or may not be able to do because of my other debilitating illnesses. I am so grateful!! I no longer feel constantly wound so tight I might snap!

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2014 10:40 AM

Review by Anxiety and Add:

For Anxiety: I took one little 10mg and a Adderall 10mg as well. And let me tell you THOSE DO NOT MIX. I was at school and the time and I tried to write and my are was what felt like 50 pounds and I just sat there smiling like I was very high.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 2:36 PM

Review by Nicole1881:

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I have tried a lot of different medications for my anxiety, and nothing has ever worked, that is; until I was prescribed Atarax. I was going through some very, very stressful times and had to go on something. Nothing has ever helped me, not Paxil, Lexapro, Effexor, Zoloft. I know that is a lot of different ones! But this is spread out over many years of trying new ones, not one of them really worked for me, and I had lots of bad side effects from them. Atarax was one that I had never heard of, till the doctor prescribed it to me. Immediately it works. You take it, and within 30 mins it kicks in, and last for hours. You can take one or two at a time, every six hours. The only side effect is sleepiness, and I did experience this.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by va usn:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: High anxiety-25mg helped within 45 minutes!

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 8:23 PM

Review by Fred93:

For Anxiety: I was given this (50mg) as needed for anxiety/panic. The first time I took it, it knocked me out for 13 hours. When I woke up I was very groggy for at least 2 hours. After the mental and physical exhaustion went away I did feel very calm and collected for quite some time. I am not taking it anymore because it is far too strong for me even in half or quartered doses. I'm happy if it works for you, but for me this was not good.

August 27, 2014 3:40 AM

Review by RKTUQ:

For Anxiety: It definitely calmed my anxiety but left me drowsy. I took 25mg once a day for two weeks and was able to function somewhat normally despite the fatigue factor. After two weeks, for some reason, it began making me so tired that I was unable to function during the day. I tried halving and even quartering the amount, but it still left me unable to stay awake during the day. When I was awake, I was lethargic and depressed.

August 18, 2014 12:02 PM

Review by IstvanFeldman01 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Sedation: This really works pretty well. It takes about 15-25 minutes to fully work but it will knock you out for a solid eight hours minimum. I used to use trazodone for sleep/sedation as I have insomnia but honestly hydroxyzine is better. The best difference was the size of the pill. The trazodone was too LARGE trapezoid pills that felt like they got stuck in my throat tasted horrible even with 1-2 cups of water. The "hangover" of trazodone was also much more intolerable. The hydroxyzine takes about 10 minutes once you are up for the grogginess to go away versus 30 minutes with my previous alternative. I find showers and hot water with lemon and honey help the throat if it's still feeling itchy from the medicine.

August 17, 2014 1:20 AM

Review by am49 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: This little pill is amazing. It is one of the safest and most effective antianxiety medications I've ever been on. Pros: - Very effective - Works quickly - Safe - Doesn't make you drowsy - Can be taken as needed; not addictive and no withdrawls - Doesn't impair cognitive function - Also helps with allergies! Cons: - Primary side effects were dizziness and weight gain Notes: - I've found from personal experience that if I take it before bed I'm more likely to have nightmares - Do not quickly get up: slowly stand up, else you'll get extremely dizzy and might even fall over. - Do not take with other antihistamines: always check with your doctor or a pharmacist before taking allergy medicine. Would I recommend? Definitely!!

August 8, 2014 5:08 PM

Review by Joshx17 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Even at massive doses of 200 mg I still didn't feel any relief at all from this. Benadryl or Unisom would be a better option to take for anxiety.

August 1, 2014 4:01 AM

Review by Monchie:

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was prescribed Atarax for my anxiety and to wean off Klonopin. It worked well at first but I have found that I've built a tolerance. One 50mg pill the first day helped, the next day I need two 50mg pills and now after 2 weeks in up to 200mg and it is no longer controlling my panic or anxiety.

July 29, 2014 4:48 PM