User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 16 reviews 52 medications

Pain 10 reviews 935 medications

5.2
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 249 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Sedation: "Having tried the everything over the counter, the 'Z-drugs' which had no effect, seroquel which left me in a constant daydreaming state with terrible hangovers and not wanting to take more benzos I asked to try hydroxzyine since its essentially an allergy pill. I suffer from a slew of anxiety disorders and I would normal toss and turn in bed for 3-5 hours before getting a couple hours of sleep. But taking 100mg of hydroxyzine when I brush my teeth, by the time I'm in bed I can fall asleep in under 15 minutes. Its subtle anxiolytic effect and sedation is a perfect combination which allows me to feel I am falling asleep instead of being knocked unconscious. I wake up refreshed with no hangovers consistently."

TDinorino (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It's not really helping anything"

chris93838282 May 23, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I was recommended to switch from xanax to vistaril, but the vistaril did not help with my anxiety at all. I became extremely irritable (probably from the increased anxiety not being treated with xanax anymore). I did not notice any positive effects even after taking it for a month. I was told this medication was fast acting for panic attacks like xanax, but they did not help with the panic attacks in the least bit. I highly recommend that if you have severe debilitating anxiety to not even try this drug based on what I went through."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

For Anxiety: "This medicine defentaly helped me to stop my hands from shaking.But after around 8 months of taking the pill (which is how long I have been taking it) the medication is pretty non effective.I have decided that I need a stronger medication.One more thing to add is that the pill helped to stop me angina like chest pains"

Emily The Secret May 18, 2015

For Sedation: "Prescribed for sleep but didn't work. Only sleepy during the day!"

Dee Sessions (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2015

For Anxiety: "Game changer... It wasn't as heavily sedating as I thought it would be, but it sincerely helps me with my panic attacks along with the the help of self talk. Calms me right down, without the hungover feeling that Xanax and Klonopin leave you with."

Gypsygirl103 May 2, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have been on Vistaril for about a year now and it has helped my anxiety greatly. Not to mention no side effects at all. It also helps greatly with itching and extreme tension. I am taking 200 mg per day in two divided doses. I am very happy with this medication."

blaze22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I experienced unremittently high anxiety for almost a year before trying this medication. Panic attacks at least every third day, sometimes more than once each day, so severe that I visited the ER at least twice a month. Xanax helped for a few days but after that just made things worse and caused withdrawal even when taken less often than prescribed, buspar did nothing at all, and Celexa barely helped. Finally a nurse gave me a sample of this medication. It was a miracle drug. After a month anxiety-free I was able to stop taking it and now feel great. Side effects were so mild compared to other medications I've tried that I did not even notice them. It works much better than Dramamine for nausea too though it does make you sleepy"

PriPre (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been taking Atarax for about a month now for anxiety due to an obsessive amount of medical conditions that all seem to have started at around the same time. So I asked my doctor if there was anything I could take that was not addictive, that could help with my anxiety and he gave me atarax. OH MY GOD has this been a miracle drug! Not only do I sleep amazingly every night I feel relaxed enough to get through my day now! On top of that my allergies are now nonexistent and I've been able to refrain from smoking and drinking much more easily because of it. My only problem is the super weird and sometimes scary dreams I get if I take it before bed, but that's hardly an issue compared to how much it has helped me."

Troy7d5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Of the non-benzodiazepeine anti-anxiety agents, Vistaril is my first choice. Vistaril seperates itself from the others by rapidly inducing a pleasant & warm feeling. By comparison, things like Compazine and clonidine are much colder and more harsh in side effects. Although Vistaril is gentle & easy going for the first hour or so, a strong drowsiness will come on by Hour #2. But overall I'd still rank it as a side-effect-free type of medicine, when compared to other non-benzo anxiolytics."

BeyondAndB4 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2015

For Pruritus: "25mg for intense full body itching and absolutely no relief. No drowsiness either. Went up to 75mg and still no relief and no drowsiness. Not sure what to think?"

Jerry F. April 24, 2015

For Sedation: "I always had trouble sleeping but since I had my 3rd son almost 4 years ago it's worst. I toss and turn all night and I will be thinking about things and I wouldn't know why. So I went to my doctor and they gave me this medicine hydroxyzine and it helps a lot. It calms me down and my mind is clear since I've been on it. I sleep way better but I notice a difference if i don't take it I have bad anxiety cause I can't sleep..."

drenia88 (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been taking Atarax (hydroxyzine) for anxiety 25mg/6hrs as needed. I have spontaneous panic attacks. Though I don't feel it is very helpful in stopping an attack that had already begun since it takes about 30 minutes to take effect, it is helpful in preventing one if you know what signs your body/mind will give you before you have one and take it promptly upon noticing these signs. It does make me a little tired, but not messed up and groggy like Xanax or Ativan. I don't care for benzodiazapines, so this is what I have to work with. This spring, I have noticed symptoms of pollen allergies I never had before. This medication is an antihistamine, which also alleviates these symptoms. All in all, I'd say this drug is pretty effective."

NervousNancy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2015

For Anxiety: "Been on this medicine off and on for a few years. Usually by doctors who are convinced that every person who asks for a benzodiazepine must be addicted to them. This medication has very little effect on me. I have debilitating generalized anxiety disorder, severe treatment resistant obsessive compulsive disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. This medication is supposed to be for panic attacks. However for me it takes a while to kick in, and once it does, it only relieves a fraction of the intense and constant anxiety. It doesn't make me sleepy whatsoever, nor does it calm my restlessness."

ecarbajal April 5, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It caused severe paranoia and ultra sensitivity to all senses."

llwyatt90 (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have a rare disease called Systemic Mastocytosis that presents a varying number of symptoms caused by too much histamine being released in my body. Hydroxyzine relieved constant anxiety, fatigue, and muscle/bone pain. It also calms the nervous system down when I am itchy."

MastoMom (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 26, 2015

For Anxiety: "My psychiatrist prescribed 50 MG of Hydroxyzine every 6 hours for anxiety. This medicine literally takes 15 minutes to kick in my system. In like a zombie. Literally drooling and having to be watched like a child. Works a little too good."

morganT80 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 18, 2015

For Anxiety: "Did not work on me at all. I was on 50mg"

Mollym2300 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2015

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It worked for a while then it stopped working a few months later"

Birdy02 March 12, 2015

For Sedation: "I have had a pre/existing panic disorder for several years and then 7 months ago I tragically lost both my parents within a few weeks of each other. They were in their early 60s, I'm in my 30s. My anxiety exacerbated with my grief and I simply cannot sleep without taking Vistaril. It was initially prescribed to me to help alleviate my anxiety throughout the day, however, it makes me too drowsy and so I am working through my anxiety in other ways in the daytime. I was initially prescribed Ambien for sleep and hated it. I have Vistaril in two different dosages and find the 50 to be best for deep restful sleep. 25 if I'm in need of a nap."

ASweet (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 25, 2015

For Anxiety: "Has helped me quite a bit... went from a 2 ona scale of 1-10 to a 5... not so bad."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2015

For Pruritus: "severe itching for unknown reason(so far- test being taken) took 1 last night at 4 pm did not make me drowsy and itch did not even slightly approve.- very disappointed- going to give it another try today after work so I can take every 6 hours over the weekend this way if it does knock me out im home.."

swtemolyn (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I was taking 50 mg three times a day. It worked awesome for my anxiety, however after a month I started having seizures and severe muscle twitching and I had to stop it."

Lacie Love (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I was originally prescribed ATARAX for poision ivy. I also suffer from depression and anxiety. I take CYMBALTA daily & VALIUM as needed. I was pleasantly surprised when starting ATARAX. I noticed after my first pill having a more clear head and being more productive. I didn't connect the two until later reading up on its other benefits. Anyway, I haven't had any side effects at all on ATARAX and it has been added to my daily Meds. If I'm more than 4 hours off my CYMBALTA I will get a nasty headache & would be a withdrawal nightmare but it's the ONLY thing that has helped my depression long term & I've tried "everything" so I am thankful & Im sure to take my Meds on time! Goodluck!"

Nina Picassa (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2015

For Anxiety: "I've been taking hydroxine for a while now 50mg twice a day it help with anxiety but I have the opposite effect when it comes to making me tired it does not at all affect me in that way."

Srburnet24 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2015