User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 16 reviews 49 medications

5.2
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 204 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Allergies: I absolutely love this medicine, it has changed my life. I have had eczema since I was a baby and extremely sensitive skin, to the point where my clothes bother me and just little things that make me very irritable. I started this medication as a liquid when I was three years old, now I am 18 and I take it as a pill everyday. To anyone out there that is questioning taking it, I highly recommend. I haven't had many side effects but I will warn you, depending on the dosage it basically puts you to sleep. I take it right before I go to sleep and I dont recommend taking it at any other time.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2014 11:53 AM

Review by KickRocks84 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Sedation: My psychiatrist just prescribed me this medication to help me sleep at night since I have trouble sleeping, supposedly it takes 15 to 45 mins to take in effect, the only effect I got was a calming effect but wasn't sleepy like it was intended for..therefor I became more agitated, crying for no apparent reason, and more fidgety then ever..So unfortunately I was the unfortunate one where it does not work for.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by AnxietyDude (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: This medicine does what it's supposed to do. A 50mg capsule usually is enough to dispel panic attacks and return me to baseline. I don't take any more because I can't deal with the drowsiness during the day and I take something else for sleeping at night. No benzodiazepine-like euphoria, just simple no-frills relief.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2014 9:54 PM

Review by waslosingit:

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Has changed my life. I didn't know how bad my anxiety was until I got relief from Atarax!! I don't even need anywhere near the full dose to relieve my constant building thoughts of what I should be doing or may not be able to do because of my other debilitating illnesses. I am so grateful!! I no longer feel constantly wound so tight I might snap!

October 3, 2014 10:40 AM

Review by Anxiety and Add:

For Anxiety: I took one little 10mg and a Adderall 10mg as well. And let me tell you THOSE DO NOT MIX. I was at school and the time and I tried to write and my are was what felt like 50 pounds and I just sat there smiling like I was very high.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 2:36 PM

Review by Nicole1881:

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I have tried a lot of different medications for my anxiety, and nothing has ever worked, that is; until I was prescribed Atarax. I was going through some very, very stressful times and had to go on something. Nothing has ever helped me, not Paxil, Lexapro, Effexor, Zoloft. I know that is a lot of different ones! But this is spread out over many years of trying new ones, not one of them really worked for me, and I had lots of bad side effects from them. Atarax was one that I had never heard of, till the doctor prescribed it to me. Immediately it works. You take it, and within 30 mins it kicks in, and last for hours. You can take one or two at a time, every six hours. The only side effect is sleepiness, and I did experience this.

September 10, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by va usn:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: High anxiety-25mg helped within 45 minutes!

August 29, 2014 8:23 PM

Review by Fred93:

For Anxiety: I was given this (50mg) as needed for anxiety/panic. The first time I took it, it knocked me out for 13 hours. When I woke up I was very groggy for at least 2 hours. After the mental and physical exhaustion went away I did feel very calm and collected for quite some time. I am not taking it anymore because it is far too strong for me even in half or quartered doses. I'm happy if it works for you, but for me this was not good.

August 27, 2014 3:40 AM

Review by RKTUQ:

For Anxiety: It definitely calmed my anxiety but left me drowsy. I took 25mg once a day for two weeks and was able to function somewhat normally despite the fatigue factor. After two weeks, for some reason, it began making me so tired that I was unable to function during the day. I tried halving and even quartering the amount, but it still left me unable to stay awake during the day. When I was awake, I was lethargic and depressed.

August 18, 2014 12:02 PM

Review by IstvanFeldman01 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Sedation: This really works pretty well. It takes about 15-25 minutes to fully work but it will knock you out for a solid eight hours minimum. I used to use trazodone for sleep/sedation as I have insomnia but honestly hydroxyzine is better. The best difference was the size of the pill. The trazodone was too LARGE trapezoid pills that felt like they got stuck in my throat tasted horrible even with 1-2 cups of water. The "hangover" of trazodone was also much more intolerable. The hydroxyzine takes about 10 minutes once you are up for the grogginess to go away versus 30 minutes with my previous alternative. I find showers and hot water with lemon and honey help the throat if it's still feeling itchy from the medicine.

August 17, 2014 1:20 AM

Review by am49 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: This little pill is amazing. It is one of the safest and most effective antianxiety medications I've ever been on. Pros: - Very effective - Works quickly - Safe - Doesn't make you drowsy - Can be taken as needed; not addictive and no withdrawls - Doesn't impair cognitive function - Also helps with allergies! Cons: - Primary side effects were dizziness and weight gain Notes: - I've found from personal experience that if I take it before bed I'm more likely to have nightmares - Do not quickly get up: slowly stand up, else you'll get extremely dizzy and might even fall over. - Do not take with other antihistamines: always check with your doctor or a pharmacist before taking allergy medicine. Would I recommend? Definitely!!

August 8, 2014 5:08 PM

Review by Joshx17 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Even at massive doses of 200 mg I still didn't feel any relief at all from this. Benadryl or Unisom would be a better option to take for anxiety.

August 1, 2014 4:01 AM

Review by Monchie:

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was prescribed Atarax for my anxiety and to wean off Klonopin. It worked well at first but I have found that I've built a tolerance. One 50mg pill the first day helped, the next day I need two 50mg pills and now after 2 weeks in up to 200mg and it is no longer controlling my panic or anxiety.

July 29, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by Dyl Dyl (taken for less than 1 month):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was pretty disappointed by Vistaril. I asked my psychiatrist about it hoping it helps in addition with the Zoloft I was taking to cure my itchiness, anxiety, sedation, and allergies. The only thing I saw improve were my allergies, and not by much. Yes I have only been on Vistaril 12 days, but still I was disappointed with the results. One Benadryl and one Zyrtec a night was more helpful than this. Oh well I guess I'll have to keep looking.

July 16, 2014 2:13 AM

Review by grumpybean (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I'm currently on this medication for anxiety plus Lexapro also for anxiety. It just makes me super sleepy which doesn't work for me with having a 6m old and a 6y old. I have horrible car anxiety and I took one 15-30 min before I had to go in the car and I broke down and cried and could not feel anything at all. I was not driving thank God. It just doesn't work for me but it does take the numbness tingly feeling I get from the Lexapro away. About the only good thing.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2014 11:21 PM

Review by Chelsea Emma:

For Sedation: I started taking hydroxyzine about 3 months ago. At first it worked great but recently I can fall asleep more easily then I could with Seroquel. However, I only get about 2-3 solid hours of sleep then I wake up wide awake at 4 am I'm not sure if my body isn't used to it because I was on Seroquel 8 years.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2014 12:29 AM

Review by Tryphosa:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: This stuff was the pits. A half hour after I took my first pill, I was falling asleep. The tiredness became extremely intense. I had to cancel my plans for the evening and lay down. I was so crazy exhausted that I became anxious. I asked my prescriber for antianxiety medication. I have mild anxiety that makes me uncomfortable. This stuff just made me worse than a couch potato. Several hours later I got intestinal cramps. Then I started throwing up.

June 27, 2014 1:14 AM

Review by TeeBabii:

For Allergies: I have just recently started taking this for allergies that leaves me with hives and/or rashes. I have found it very effective, it doesn't take long before it starts working. I have realized that it does sedate me and/or is very effective, its very hard to wake up while under the influence of this medicine.

June 19, 2014 4:25 AM

Review by kakayyyy:

For Anxiety: Pretty decent anti-anxiety medicine.

June 11, 2014 10:39 PM

Review by RadioVirus:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was prescribed Vistaril for bad panic attacks, as needed. I was put on Celexa, and less than an hour after taking it, I felt extreme fear and had the worst panic attack I've ever experienced. I called my doctor immediately and was told to go ahead and take the Vistaril. It calmed me down in less than 15 minutes. It did however, make me so drowsy that I found it impossible to stay awake. Thank goodness I have it on hand for my next attempt with Wellbutrin.

June 2, 2014 12:41 AM

Review by Crappysleeper (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Sedation: I have had sleep issues since my early 20's. I have been prescribed Ambien, Lunesta, Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan and Seroquel. All of them helped fall asleep no problem, however 3 hours later, I'm awake again. The hydroxyzine didn't help me fall asleep as much as keeping me asleep! I usually toss and turn a dozen times at night but this gives me solid, uninterrupted sleep. I do notice that I will wake slightly agitated at times which is annoying when you have 3 kids to wake to and need to be on your toes and think fast. I have to say out of all the meds I've tried this one KEEPS me sleeping which is the point.

May 28, 2014 12:27 PM

Review by Ric's wife (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pruritus: My husband, who is diabetic for many years, suddenly developed an itchy, scratchy rash. He's someone who soldiers on despite everything. So he went to the VA Hospital and they prescribed Hydroxyzine capsules, telling him to take them at bedtime. He also is using a salve for the topical skin discomfort. He slept like a log last night and already (2 days in) feels better; his rash is much improved, and should be gone pronto if the good response continues. The Doctor was very clear - warned him (it also says so on the bottle): don't drive, ride a bike, or whatever until you see if it makes you groggy or dizzy - a common side affect. He slept for 12 hours last night, so that was a plus. This medicine is very effective!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2014 9:23 AM

Review by BreeKG:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: My experience with it. The medicine works great for itch relief (pruritis) and anxiety. I have Graves Disease, this was to treat anxiety temporarily after thyroid storm. The problem I had with it was it made me to doped feeling to function normally. I stayed tired and experienced grumpiness and lack of patience. I've taken Xanax, and Elavil before and definitely was able to work, socialize normally unlike this medicine, there is no way I can take it every four to six hours and function throughout the day. I've never been one to tolerate antihistamines very well, I get the shakes etc., and experienced the same with the Vistaril. All that aside, at night it did help me sleep, help the anxiety as it's supposed too.

May 8, 2014 9:20 PM

Review by jramp (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I was given this pill to help with anxiety and insomnia at school. I was given 50 mg and I took it and it completely knocked me out. It works great for helping me sleep, but waking up I was dizzy and had minor blurred vision, but that went away after about an hour.

April 22, 2014 11:23 PM

Review by tmanawo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: While this medicine is no where near as strong Klonopin or Xanax for my anxiety, I have found that taking a 50mg Vistaril does just enough to take the edge off.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2014 5:40 AM