User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 16 reviews 52 medications

5.2
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 229 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Review by MastoMom (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: I have a rare disease called Systemic Mastocytosis that presents a varying number of symptoms caused by too much histamine being released in my body. Hydroxyzine relieved constant anxiety, fatigue, and muscle/bone pain. It also calms the nervous system down when I am itchy.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 26, 2015 12:09 PM

Review by morganT80 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: My psychiatrist prescribed 50 MG of Hydroxyzine every 6 hours for anxiety. This medicine literally takes 15 minutes to kick in my system. In like a zombie. Literally drooling and having to be watched like a child. Works a little too good.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2015 4:35 PM

Review by Mollym2300 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Did not work on me at all. I was on 50mg

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2015 9:44 PM

Review by Birdy02:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: It worked for a while then it stopped working a few months later

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 12, 2015 5:05 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Has helped me quite a bit... went from a 2 ona scale of 1-10 to a 5... not so bad.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2015 9:16 PM

Review by swtemolyn (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pruritus: severe itching for unknown reason(so far- test being taken) took 1 last night at 4 pm did not make me drowsy and itch did not even slightly approve.- very disappointed- going to give it another try today after work so I can take every 6 hours over the weekend this way if it does knock me out im home..

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2015 9:16 AM

Review by Lacie Love (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was taking 50 mg three times a day. It worked awesome for my anxiety, however after a month I started having seizures and severe muscle twitching and I had to stop it.

February 19, 2015 8:03 PM

Review by Srburnet24 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I've been taking hydroxine for a while now 50mg twice a day it help with anxiety but I have the opposite effect when it comes to making me tired it does not at all affect me in that way.

February 15, 2015 3:41 PM

Review by CorrieG (taken for less than 1 month):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: It has helped me to relax and not have as much anxiety.

February 12, 2015 2:42 AM

Review by donewbenzo:

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was on Cymbalta 90mg and had to stop cold turkey .. thank goodness for my Atarax. I am having severe withdrawals and I take 50mg up to 4 times a day . I also use this for my anxiety. I was addicted to Klonopin so I am thankful for this no addictive Atarax.

February 9, 2015 3:49 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have terrible anxiety, and my doctor prescribed this with Lamictal. I took it once to help bring me down from a massive anxiety attack and it knocked me down, but my anxiety elevated because my body was so weighed down but my mind was still panicking. I hated it, made everything worse, I could barely even speak in the 25mg dose.

January 25, 2015 11:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Every time I think I don't need this medicine I always go back to it. Now I found that with the Celexa it does not work as well.

January 22, 2015 6:32 PM

Review by Sebastian silva:

For Pain: Hydroxyzine works great mixed with any opioid for anxiety pretty good with withdrawal from benzodiazepines. Works like a charm, if you have this medicine keep it around when needed it could save your life.

January 17, 2015 10:58 PM

Review by AunasMom:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was prescribed this over Xanax because I breast feed and needed something safe to take for my extreme anxiety. I am bipolar so my levels of energy are usually very high and very anxious. I was unsure of this being able to calm me but it works great. I have experienced headaches from this medicine but I'll take that any day over my "high energy agitative states".

January 12, 2015 9:52 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Has not helped with anixiety at all. Just makes me terribly sleepy, so I cannot take it during the day

January 8, 2015 3:15 PM

Review by Rebecca1993:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed this medication for my anxiety and to help me sleep. I take one at night and I'm usually asleep within 30 minutes. The next day I find that I do take extra long to wake up but once I'm showered I'm fine. I wouldn't take it in the day as you most probably will fall asleep.

January 7, 2015 2:30 PM

Review by Prof11:

For Pruritus: Saw the post by DanniBee. The drowsiness appears to be dose dependent. Not sure, (I don't have strong data), but I think the anti-itch effect happens at a lower level for people that have high drowsiness. Try a low dosage (5 to 10 mg). I know this may be considered a near homeopathic dose, but I and others have seen the anti-itch effect work at these lower doses with people who have particularly high sensitivity to the drowsiness effect. Let me know if it works.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 2:36 PM

Review by Leane56:

For Anxiety: I take very little for anxiety , and it really helps me sleep at night, almost too much, but the next day I feel lethargic , tired, and rather depressed, I wish it didn't because otherwise it works.

December 18, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Mimilereaux (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I had my first (and only so far) panic attack April 14,2014. I thought I was having a heart attack and had my husband take me to the E.R. After EKG was cleared the doctor gave me 2 Xanax and told me I suffered from a panic attack. I have not been the same since. I have had anxiety, arm pain and jaw pain (from tension), heart palpitations, hot flashes etc. I saw my doctor and she set me up with Hydroxyzine and it has been a life saver. 25mg up to 4 times A day as needed. I sleep great and function mostly every day normally. Every now and then I have a bad day , but very far and few between. 100% recommended to everyone.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by Littlethomas24 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Sedation: My 9 year old autistic son was prescribed 10mg of this two days ago. I was instructed to give it to him 30 mins before lay down time. My son is super energetic and is constantly and I do mean constantly running back and fourth in our home, it takes 3 hours to wind him down I'm exhausted, his sister is exhausted, and he is exhausted. I see absolutely no difference we are still struggling to sleep. The only thing that has changed is in the mornings it's almost as if he has a hangover from the medicine and can not wake up.

December 5, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by Brandy B (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: My doctor prescribed Hydroxyzine for my anxiety. I was taking it along with my antidepressant. WOW. This medicine turned me into a zombie. If I wasn't asleep, I was completely lethargic. After I stopped taking my antidepressant, I decided to take a Hydroxyzine to see if it would still make me super tired. YEP. It also made me extremely grumpy and impatient.

December 5, 2014 7:54 PM

Review by JuneCountrygirl34 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I am 34/Female with marked panic attacks. I have health /doctor office anxiety. I have to say Vistaril has done wonders for me. It seemed to take a few weeks before I could really feel it's effects though. I have to keep a small amount in my system before it helps with a panic attack. I can take 1-2 25 mg pills 3 X a day as needed for anxiety. I usually take 1/2 of a 25 mg pill twice a day. When I feel an attack starting, I take another 1 to 1 1/2 pills. It stops the attack quickly. I feel like I've got my life back some, & it feels like a safety blanket. It does dry my mouth out though & I only recommend it for marked anxiety. I do not have any depression.

November 26, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by Linzi8083:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Didn't help me with my anxiety at all. Just made me physically exhausted and unable to function during the day.

November 26, 2014 3:38 AM

Review by MauriCruz9 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Bipolar. Now on Atarax and Buspar together. Things have gotten better. No side effects except vivid dreams, if you are like me you'd rather have those than anxiety.

November 25, 2014 3:01 PM

Review by Bayougal (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: Prescribed Hydroxyzine a year ago for itching/rash/hives. Worked extremely well. My skin cleared up and didnt need to take anymore. I also suffer with anxiety/panic attack/ agoraphobia and stress. Heard that hydroxyzine can also be used for that. About 30 minutes ago I began having a severe anxiety/panic attack. My arm and face hurt, tingling/numbness, fear I am dying, etc. So I took two 25mg and hoping it will lesson all my panicky feelings. As of now symptoms have lessened but not gone. Not extremely sleepy/tired but slight sedation. In the past with taking for the itching/hives and rash the sedation usually kicked in about an hour after taking. So it could do the same - which would be fine with me.

October 24, 2014 9:05 PM