User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 22 reviews 52 medications

Pain 13 reviews 1069 medications

5.3
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 389 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Anxiety: "I was dealing with stress and anxiety super bad after my second baby was born, about 6 months ago...I was prescribed 25 mg to help. I would take the pill when I was feeling super stressed and anxious and felt soming, I guess, very subtle, I was hoping to feel an obvious calm about my body and thoughts...NOT with this med. I also had very vivid sacked out dreams and the worst part hands down is the fog of exhaustion I would feel the next day! Don't take this if you need to be productive or need quick relief from anxiety, at LEAST that's my experience."

Tabbitha (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2016

For Allergies: "I normally take Allegra and Flonase for my allergies. However, when I have breakthrough allergic symptoms, all I have to do is take a small dose of hydroxyzine (10 mg) and I feel significantly better within half an hour. Granted, it does make me feel somewhat sedated. However, that's pretty much a given for all first generation antihistamines. Furthermore, it makes me feel less out of it than Benadryl does. And, unlike Benadryl, hydroxyzine doesn't make my asthma worse; it actually improves my lung function! It does make me feel sleepy for at least 8 hours, but my allergies make me feel sleepy anyway, so this side effect doesn't really matter."

TheInsecureFrog (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

For Anxiety: "I feel a little bit more calm, ofcourse it wont completly make your anxiety disdapear but i feel better than usual, it helps me sleep good, makes me have weird crazy dreams but not bad. I take it right before i close my eyes, its better to take it right exactly when you're going to sleep, i feel its more effective."

Judess April 22, 2016

For Sedation: "I was prescribed 25 mg for anxiety. I was nervous to take it, but did finally after not being able to sleep one night. I knew some people said it sedated them, so I was hoping it would just knock me out for while. Didn't do much the first night or two, but after that hump it has been working! I dont feel very different anxiety wise, though.. Like some said it might take the edge off a bit but nothing strong whatsoever. I do smoke weed however so it could be altering the affects for me.. not sure"

shelllllllllllll (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

For Anxiety: "This stuff is retched. I was given this by my psychiatrist for insomnia and anxiety, while it worked okay for my insomnia the first couple of uses, it no longer does anything at all. It didn't do anything for my anxiety or panic. I took it when I started having a panic attack and I felt as though I was having an attack while encased in jello. It gave me an awful exhaustion hang over for days after taking it. It also gave me a tremor that still hasn't gone away. Honestly, it was insulting enough that I was prescribed an antihistamine for severe anxiety, but now I'm stuck with all my original issues and a tremor too."

ihavemigraines (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

For Anxiety: "I love this medication, I've been on it for years and it does double duty for me- Both as an allergy medication and Anxiety. While I've built up a tolerance to if over the years, I love that it's non-addictive and calms my mind enough that I can relax. While it doesn't make me sleepy, it does allow me to be calm and after an episode of high anxiety, this often does lead me to sleep. While not for everyone, I personally love it."

Shae81 April 19, 2016

For Pruritus: "I started taking this medicine when I was about 7 because I had severe eczema. My doctor only prescribed me 25mg at first because of my age, at first it would knock me out about 30-1 hour after taking it but it really helped with itching at night. Than as I got older by body got used to the medicine so my dosage was moved up to 50mg and it had the same effect. Than eventually I got all the to it and you have to take A LOT for it to work. . As i got older my eczema became more easy to control so i stopped taking but had it on stand by. Hydrozine is very good for allergies too or to help a allergic reaction."

Annmcphee April 19, 2016

For Sedation: "I cant believe all the negative reviews! I have been on Hydroxizine for years, and it has been the only remedy that has worked effortlessly for sleep. It calms you, AND makes you tired. It also helps you to sleep well- REM. It is also an antihistimine!!!! :) SO two in one miracle for me."

icemermaid (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 17, 2016

For Anxiety: "hydroxyzine is totally worthless. cain't afford to waste money on scrips that don't work"

pumpkin2222 April 13, 2016

For Sedation: "Tried 50 mg tablet at 8:30; felt nothing. Then took another 50 mg at 9:30 and didn't feel like it helped much either. Then in the morning, I was completely groggy and out of it all day; felt like a zombie. Next night, I took one 50 mg, and I definitely never fell asleep any faster. It might make you feel drowsy, but it didn't help promote sleep."

bsouthe1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Really good!!!!! I like atarax. Because: not addictive, makes me calm (and sleepy), calms anger restlessness and anxiety altogether. I am also on cymbalta and without cymbalta the atarax would probably be less effective. Atarax is my go-to when im anxious and i love it:)"

Elliotndbfjf (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2016

For Anxiety: "This medication is for my anxiety it knocks me out. I cannot function while on it. My doctor even halfed the dosage. It doesn't help. I don't think I'll ever take it again."

Bran8622 April 10, 2016

For Anxiety: "This drug is so incredibly strong. I was prescribed 25 mg for anxiety. I tried it for the first time tonight and I felt the effects after an hour. It made me feel even more anxious because it was so strong and I was not expecting it to be like this. It feels like a really strong/weird high. I was having a little issues breathing and I was seriously considering going to the ER. If you have bad anxiety I would not recommend this drug. I did however pass out after 3 hours and I had the coolest dream! I just woke up after about 3 hours of sleep, even though the purpose was to keep me asleep. If you do take this drug, I recommend taking it at night because you will pass out and be extremely slow and sluggish. I'm just happy to be alive!! :)"

Calibali77 April 7, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was given hydroxyzine as an alternative to lorazepam since my doctor told me I need to start taking a non addictive alternative. I take my pills at night to help calm my mind so I can go to sleep. Well, the hydroxyzine made me incredibly drowsy and didn't much help with my anxiety. I got to sleep but I remember not being able to get certain images out of my head and the dreams were a little vivid. When I woke up in the morning I was still drowsy, almost as if I didn't just sleep 8 hours. The drowsiness lasted all day and that was the last time I took that medication. Would not recommend for anxiety."

Hydroxyzine is bad April 4, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I was given Vistaril for PTSD/AAD (Acute Anxiety Disorder) and I really don't like it. Initially it helps with anxiety but if I am stressed at all or put in a situation with stress its so much worse than without the medicine. It also makes it really difficult to function normally; I feel like I'm wading through jello and my brain is about 4 seconds behind. We are going to try Xanax at my next visit."

Anonymous April 3, 2016

For Anxiety: "My Dr prescribed me with hydroxyzine for sleep and anxiety and it works but the next day you feel too tired and if you suffer from depression it can make you some what suicidal because it made me feel very foggy and I couldn't focus or concentrate on anything"

Noach28 April 2, 2016

For Sedation: "I developed insomnia for the first time several months ago, and other medications such as Ambien, Lunesta, and Restoril were ineffective (I would wake up 3-4 hours later). Hydroxyzine has worked beautifully. I sleep until my alarm goes off, but wake up feeling rested. Like others on this forum, I've found it promotes a very vivid dream state. I believe the medication promotes REM sleep. This is probably a good thing, assuming the dreams are tolerable, as REM sleep supposedly enhances memory and learning. The medication is also very inexpensive, which is a plus!"

UTJason81 March 31, 2016

For Allergic Urticaria: "My Dr prescribed Hydroxyzine for my allergic reaction to dust mites and hives and began taking them at night. Best sleep I had in years but it actually increased my hives. It took me a month to figure out it was the Hydroxyzine that was causing my hives. Two days after I stopped taking it my hives subsided. After 4 days they are almost all gone. It may work for many people but not everyone."

Janedev March 28, 2016

For Anxiety: "It has been a breathe of fresh air!!!!!! No yelling or other offensive moves and I can be at peace for 1 time I've taken 2 tablet's 3 time's a day "

Wayneg1973 (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "My GP prescribed this for anxiety and directed that I take it every 8 hours. Now I have dealt with anxiety and severe panic attacks need immediate relief. This medication was not the one to do that for me. It made me very drowsy and at the same time I still had anxiety. This is not for someone who has a busy schedule because it will sedate you. I think this medication should only be used for its initial intent to control itching. Otherwise it was a waste for me."

Lcowan7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2016

For Allergies: "I itch day and night I tried lotion it relieves a little and I told my doctor that I've taken a lot of allergies pills and still itch Doctor started on me on 180 mg Vistaril and itching is controlled and so are my allergies even though I fall asleep I take it twice a day which I need it to control all over itching because sometimes it's so bad I scratched ."

BrownCrush (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2016

For Sedation: "I have had sleep problems for years. I used to work 3rd shift and it screwed my system up. They gave me Restoril. Than lorazepam, than Ambien and than Lunesta....all failed. This pill at 50mg put me out like a light with some weird vivid dreams but I still got the best sleep in years, woke up feeling great and have been taking it now every night for about 7 months. Really great and not addictive."

Billy D (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "This med causes me severe headaches and helps with anxiety some but the pain in my head only grows worse each day along with blurred vision and highly increased appetite and dry mouth. Not worth the daily headaches. Using an antihistamine for anxiety and blood pressure meds like clonidine, said to help with my adhd that does nothing for my focus, is a mixture of insanity. Im over the vistaril after a month of more intense headaches everyday."

Spazkay (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2016

For Sedation: "After struggling with high anxiety and panic attacks for a few months, I developed insomnia, which was another stressor. I didn't want to try Ambien, so my doctor suggested hydroxyzine (Atarax). I was reluctant, but finally tried it after another month of not sleeping well. It worked! I take 12.5mg or 25mg (low dose, though I am sensitive to meds). I now take it every other night for sleep. I take it about 7pm (don’t drive) and I’m out by 9 or 9:30 and wake at 5 (my normal wake-up time). I would give it a 10, but it does leave you with a hangover fuzzy feeling in the morning (that clears by lunch). To me, the hangover is worth the SLEEP. I also take a low dose of Ativan during the day, plus B-vitamins, Vitamin C, fish oil and magnesium."

Jillybean2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2016

For Anxiety: "Unfortunately this medication disrupted my entire day at work the next day, and I felt very depressed and exhausted. This is supposedly a safe medication but my experience was not positive"

Consumer123 (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2016