User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Allergies 15 reviews 49 medications

5.2
Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 197 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Review by va usn:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: High anxiety-25mg helped within 45 minutes!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 8:23 PM

Review by Fred93:

For Anxiety: I was given this (50mg) as needed for anxiety/panic. The first time I took it, it knocked me out for 13 hours. When I woke up I was very groggy for at least 2 hours. After the mental and physical exhaustion went away I did feel very calm and collected for quite some time. I am not taking it anymore because it is far too strong for me even in half or quartered doses. I'm happy if it works for you, but for me this was not good.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2014 3:40 AM

Review by RKTUQ:

For Anxiety: It definitely calmed my anxiety but left me drowsy. I took 25mg once a day for two weeks and was able to function somewhat normally despite the fatigue factor. After two weeks, for some reason, it began making me so tired that I was unable to function during the day. I tried halving and even quartering the amount, but it still left me unable to stay awake during the day. When I was awake, I was lethargic and depressed.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 18, 2014 12:02 PM

Review by IstvanFeldman01 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Sedation: This really works pretty well. It takes about 15-25 minutes to fully work but it will knock you out for a solid eight hours minimum. I used to use trazodone for sleep/sedation as I have insomnia but honestly hydroxyzine is better. The best difference was the size of the pill. The trazodone was too LARGE trapezoid pills that felt like they got stuck in my throat tasted horrible even with 1-2 cups of water. The "hangover" of trazodone was also much more intolerable. The hydroxyzine takes about 10 minutes once you are up for the grogginess to go away versus 30 minutes with my previous alternative. I find showers and hot water with lemon and honey help the throat if it's still feeling itchy from the medicine.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2014 1:20 AM

Review by am49 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: This little pill is amazing. It is one of the safest and most effective antianxiety medications I've ever been on. Pros: - Very effective - Works quickly - Safe - Doesn't make you drowsy - Can be taken as needed; not addictive and no withdrawls - Doesn't impair cognitive function - Also helps with allergies! Cons: - Primary side effects were dizziness and weight gain Notes: - I've found from personal experience that if I take it before bed I'm more likely to have nightmares - Do not quickly get up: slowly stand up, else you'll get extremely dizzy and might even fall over. - Do not take with other antihistamines: always check with your doctor or a pharmacist before taking allergy medicine. Would I recommend? Definitely!!

August 8, 2014 5:08 PM

Review by Joshx17 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: Even at massive doses of 200 mg I still didn't feel any relief at all from this. Benadryl or Unisom would be a better option to take for anxiety.

August 1, 2014 4:01 AM

Review by Monchie:

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was prescribed Atarax for my anxiety and to wean off Klonopin. It worked well at first but I have found that I've built a tolerance. One 50mg pill the first day helped, the next day I need two 50mg pills and now after 2 weeks in up to 200mg and it is no longer controlling my panic or anxiety.

July 29, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by Dyl Dyl (taken for less than 1 month):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was pretty disappointed by Vistaril. I asked my psychiatrist about it hoping it helps in addition with the Zoloft I was taking to cure my itchiness, anxiety, sedation, and allergies. The only thing I saw improve were my allergies, and not by much. Yes I have only been on Vistaril 12 days, but still I was disappointed with the results. One Benadryl and one Zyrtec a night was more helpful than this. Oh well I guess I'll have to keep looking.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 2:13 AM

Review by grumpybean (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I'm currently on this medication for anxiety plus Lexapro also for anxiety. It just makes me super sleepy which doesn't work for me with having a 6m old and a 6y old. I have horrible car anxiety and I took one 15-30 min before I had to go in the car and I broke down and cried and could not feel anything at all. I was not driving thank God. It just doesn't work for me but it does take the numbness tingly feeling I get from the Lexapro away. About the only good thing.

July 6, 2014 11:21 PM

Review by Chelsea Emma:

For Sedation: I started taking hydroxyzine about 3 months ago. At first it worked great but recently I can fall asleep more easily then I could with Seroquel. However, I only get about 2-3 solid hours of sleep then I wake up wide awake at 4 am I'm not sure if my body isn't used to it because I was on Seroquel 8 years.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2014 12:29 AM

Review by Tryphosa:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: This stuff was the pits. A half hour after I took my first pill, I was falling asleep. The tiredness became extremely intense. I had to cancel my plans for the evening and lay down. I was so crazy exhausted that I became anxious. I asked my prescriber for antianxiety medication. I have mild anxiety that makes me uncomfortable. This stuff just made me worse than a couch potato. Several hours later I got intestinal cramps. Then I started throwing up.

June 27, 2014 1:14 AM

Review by TeeBabii:

For Allergies: I have just recently started taking this for allergies that leaves me with hives and/or rashes. I have found it very effective, it doesn't take long before it starts working. I have realized that it does sedate me and/or is very effective, its very hard to wake up while under the influence of this medicine.

June 19, 2014 4:25 AM

Review by kakayyyy:

For Anxiety: Pretty decent anti-anxiety medicine.

June 11, 2014 10:39 PM

Review by RadioVirus:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I was prescribed Vistaril for bad panic attacks, as needed. I was put on Celexa, and less than an hour after taking it, I felt extreme fear and had the worst panic attack I've ever experienced. I called my doctor immediately and was told to go ahead and take the Vistaril. It calmed me down in less than 15 minutes. It did however, make me so drowsy that I found it impossible to stay awake. Thank goodness I have it on hand for my next attempt with Wellbutrin.

June 2, 2014 12:41 AM

Review by Crappysleeper (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Sedation: I have had sleep issues since my early 20's. I have been prescribed Ambien, Lunesta, Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan and Seroquel. All of them helped fall asleep no problem, however 3 hours later, I'm awake again. The hydroxyzine didn't help me fall asleep as much as keeping me asleep! I usually toss and turn a dozen times at night but this gives me solid, uninterrupted sleep. I do notice that I will wake slightly agitated at times which is annoying when you have 3 kids to wake to and need to be on your toes and think fast. I have to say out of all the meds I've tried this one KEEPS me sleeping which is the point.

May 28, 2014 12:27 PM

Review by Ric's wife (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pruritus: My husband, who is diabetic for many years, suddenly developed an itchy, scratchy rash. He's someone who soldiers on despite everything. So he went to the VA Hospital and they prescribed Hydroxyzine capsules, telling him to take them at bedtime. He also is using a salve for the topical skin discomfort. He slept like a log last night and already (2 days in) feels better; his rash is much improved, and should be gone pronto if the good response continues. The Doctor was very clear - warned him (it also says so on the bottle): don't drive, ride a bike, or whatever until you see if it makes you groggy or dizzy - a common side affect. He slept for 12 hours last night, so that was a plus. This medicine is very effective!

May 15, 2014 9:23 AM

Review by BreeKG:

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: My experience with it. The medicine works great for itch relief (pruritis) and anxiety. I have Graves Disease, this was to treat anxiety temporarily after thyroid storm. The problem I had with it was it made me to doped feeling to function normally. I stayed tired and experienced grumpiness and lack of patience. I've taken Xanax, and Elavil before and definitely was able to work, socialize normally unlike this medicine, there is no way I can take it every four to six hours and function throughout the day. I've never been one to tolerate antihistamines very well, I get the shakes etc., and experienced the same with the Vistaril. All that aside, at night it did help me sleep, help the anxiety as it's supposed too.

May 8, 2014 9:20 PM

Review by jramp (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I was given this pill to help with anxiety and insomnia at school. I was given 50 mg and I took it and it completely knocked me out. It works great for helping me sleep, but waking up I was dizzy and had minor blurred vision, but that went away after about an hour.

April 22, 2014 11:23 PM

Review by tmanawo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: While this medicine is no where near as strong Klonopin or Xanax for my anxiety, I have found that taking a 50mg Vistaril does just enough to take the edge off.

April 21, 2014 5:40 AM

Review by Ryan s:

For Allergic Urticaria: Had extreme hives all over my body from an allergic reaction. Took a single 25mg tablet of hydroxyzine about an hour before I went to sleep, and I was no longer itching by bedtime. When I woke up, there were no hives. They started to return at night time, so I took another tablet, and the cycle continued.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2014 12:41 AM

Review by anxious_peaches (taken for less than 1 month):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I took a 25 mg dose of this medicine for the first time last night. It took about 45 minutes to an hour before it made me sleepy although I was calmed within 15 minutes. I slept great-I usually wake up around 2am every night, but not last night. I slept until 9:30am which is rare for me. I did feel like a zombie for about an hour or 2 after I got up, but I didn't have any panic feelings during the day. I didn't feel 100% normal, but this was a pretty good start. I'm hopeful that the sleepiness is a transient effect and that some of my other physical symptoms go completely away.

April 19, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by adelaossa:

For Anxiety: Was having problems falling asleep. My doctor prescribed this medicine to help me sleep. Works great!

April 18, 2014 8:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: I took this medicine for the first time and I ended up dreaming a very romantic dream. It helps me with my panic/anxiety attacks, I would like to figure out what triggers my freaking out. Never Drive when You take Vistaril. It mellows You Out. Thank You.

April 1, 2014 4:03 PM

Review by Lizzi6 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Allergic Urticaria: Right after my 2nd child was born in 1969, I found myself scratching till I bled and I was diagnosed with Urticaria I was prescribed hydroxyzine 10mg (Atarax) 3 times a day at first, but was soon able to pare that back to 1 x 10mg pill a day which I take in the morning. I have never had a problem with drowsiness. The only time I realize I have this condition is if I run out of the medication and don't take it for a few days, then the itching comes back, usually starting on the palms of my hands. I will probably take this medication for the rest of my life, but for me it has been a Godsend.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2014 2:34 PM

Review by tayalayabingbong:

For Anxiety: Its worked 8/10 for my anxiety... its calmed down my anxiety significantly, but not completely. Although im not too fond of the zombie feeling... I just started it yesterday so we will see if that part goes away at any point. If by my next visit, I still feel tired all day I will be asking for something else.

March 11, 2014 9:51 PM