User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 95 reviews 6 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 642 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

Review by Melsss:

For Depression: I am a 18 yo girl and diagnosed for depression. My 1st week with 10 mg Lexapro is beyond horrible: depression got worse, heart racing, sharpened negative thoughts, and no motivation at all when wake up in the morning. I cant concentrate and feel as if I wanna cry most of the time. It lingers till evening and tapers off toward night. At night, I feel euphoric. No problem with sleeping and weight gain. But since my depression got worse, doctor decided to double my dose to 20 mg. 2nd week was even worse: nightmare every night, fatigue, lethargic, gases in stomach. In 3rd week, it finally helps!! Negative thoughts went away and I feel lightheaded. Side effect: emotion numbness, sleepy, lazy. But overall this medicine is a true miracle.

October 18, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by melanie :) (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Before I took this medication, I had severe social anxiety. I would often stay silent because of hurting someone's feelings or I was afraid of embarassment. I constantly worried about what people thought of me. It was ruining my life. My doctor started me on Paxil but I couldnt take the physical symptoms. When I started taking Lexapro it felt like a huge weight was taken off of my shoulders. I could be myself again! I usually take it at night because it makes me a little drowsy. Months later, I got a job working for a school near me as a bus monitor. I ride the preschool and high school buses to maintain safety and prevent bullying. Without Lexapro, I DEFINITELY would have not been able to be in that position before.

October 15, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Tweetie Bird:

For Anxiety: Lexapro saved my life. I was locked into worry, self-recrimination, and rumination. I couldn't let go of the past and see myself in a good light. Within a couple of days the anxiety lifted and I could finally SLEEP! I've been taking it now for 6 weeks. In that time, I got a volunteer job that I love and I'm so upbeat. I'm grateful for this site because I read others' experiences which led me to ask my psychiatrist for Lexapro. Thanks to the posts about taking only the brand name Lexapro (my psychiatrist concurs). It's difficult taking medicines because with emotional/mental problems we feel out of control and taking a medicine that doesn't work makes us feel more out of control. It's worth trying until you find what works. Don't give up.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2014 5:55 PM

Review by Ash2014:

For Anxiety: Lexapro literally saved my life. I had such bad anxiety before taking this medicine.

October 1, 2014 4:16 AM

Review by Rwaters123 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 years now and it has been a life saver. I developed anxiety disorder that gave me a constant nauseous feeling and fast heart beat. My doctor gave me Lexapro and the first few weeks was a hard adjustment and after that I felt so much better. I got my life back on track.

September 27, 2014 11:53 AM

Review by RHS1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: Male, 50, about 1 yr ago experienced sudden onset of debilitating generalized anxiety disorder. Suffered 3 months trying benzodiazepines, Buspar, Wellbutrin and Lexapro 10 mg. Settled on Lexapro 20 mg. 100% symptom-free in about 1 month. After 1 year, tapered off about a month ago. ZERO negative side effects from tapering and 100% recovery. I'm not one to suggest a miracle but this is about as close as it gets.

September 25, 2014 7:54 PM

Review by Jvjh:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been on Lexapro for 4 and a half years now and it has saved my life-

September 25, 2014 1:48 PM

Review by JustMyOpinion (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: Been on Lexapro for quite a few years now. It helped me a great deal, my anxiety was out of control. I now lead a pretty normal life now. I would have been sent to the loony bin if it wasn't for Lexapro.

September 24, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by Kristinaisfree:

For Depression: Lexapro has been a major positive in my life. I've suffered from depression for over 10 years now and taking this pill has solved so many issues I didn't even know where to begin to diagnose myself. My head became stable and generally positive and happy everyday. Its almost impossible to feel THAT down anymore. Another few positives has been that it has helped me slow way way down on my smoking and I have no real desire to drink alcohol, not that I'm free from stress. My sexual desire has actually INCREASED. When you are so stressed all the time your sex drive normally goes down, so now that I am released from stress because of this pill I'm doing things I was never able to do before.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by Momo111 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I started Lexapro less than 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I was extremely nauseous and threw up several time just hours after taking it my first week, so I started taking it an hour before bed (also makes me very drowsy so it helps me fall asleep). I am no longer feeling sick whatsoever. I have lost more than 10 pounds and have gained TONS of self-confidence. I highly recommend trying Lexapro.

September 22, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by oxburger:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Have been on Sinequan/doxepin for depression for 26 years. Started a new position at work and started having anxiety issues. Doc added 10mg Lexapro to the mix in May but still having some anxiety. Starting on 20mg tonight. Hope it makes a difference. Any others notice a big change going from 10 to 20mg? It seems that when I have no anxiety (like when I take a Xanax) NOTHING gets in my way and I am damn good at my job. It's just when my head gets in the way that I get screwed up. Anyways, here's hoping!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 8:53 PM

Review by SparkleMotion (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Starting Lexapro was tough. Shivering with stomach cramps, for a week I constantly felt like I had taken some bad, terribly impure Ecstasy. Once I became acclimated to the drug, my postpartum anxiety disappeared; however, I was incredibly fatigued during the day. I also stopped caring about most things in general. My house wasn't as clean and creative endeavors came to a halt. My short term memory declined. It felt like my brain was muffled. I experienced lucid, unnerving dreams/nightmares most nights while taking Lexapro. I gained 8 pounds in the 8 months I took it, all in my middle. It took a long time to get this off afterward. Getting off Lexapro was also tough, with back pain, insomnia, and 10 days of "brain zaps".

September 21, 2014 11:34 PM

Review by munk2 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I was very anti-medication. I think people with anxiety often have a phobia of medication. This is too bad, because it can be a total life saver. After a year of anxiety and agoraphobia with hypochondria, I relented and tried the Lexapro. I had not been able to leave the house which was debilitating. I had very few side effects with the meds-maybe minor headaches. After 2 weeks I was able to travel. After 6 weeks I was able to go back to work. It has been two months and I continue to do better. I still need to work on some of the phobic situations, but have not had a panic attack in 2 months. It is a miracle medicine. I do hope I don't need to be on it forever, but for now I am so very happy I took the plunge.

September 20, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by SandyBlonde (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: Never a problem.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by renee5710 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I am taking Lexapro for depression and bulimia. The first week of taking Lexapro my doctor had me on 10mg. Didn't have any negative or positive side effects. I was then bumped up to 20mg. After taking one of the 20mg, the next day my vision was very blurry. It was also getting difficult for me to urinate. (Didn't hurt, but felt like I needed to go ALL the time) I talked to my doctor and she didn't think Lexapro had anything to do with my vision so went back down to 10mg for a week. No negative side effects so went back to 20mg (hoping my body got use to it). No blurry vision this time, but it was still difficult to urinate. The doctor had me get off of it and not even 3 days later I was back to "normal" when it came to using the restroom. Depression was better though. Bulimia..no effect.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2014 10:05 PM

Review by pixies18:

For Anxiety: I have experienced horrible panic attacks and anxiety my whole life but went unnoticed until a major breakdown this summer. I was unable to sleep, had panic attacks at work and could barely function. I had thoughts of doom and my emotions were out of control. The anxiety lead to depression and it felt like my life was spinning out of control. I have since sought help and am doing great on 10mg of Lexapro and 1 mg Klonpin for anxiety. My moods are also better, worrysome thoughts are under control. I highly recommend this medication to anyone suffering from anxiety and depression.

September 11, 2014 6:49 AM

Review by Purplelion (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: After trying to deal with my anxiety without taking medication for the past 2 yrs I finally gave in and asked my doctor for a recommendation. She prescribed me Lexapro the 1st 2 days were a little scary (especially after reading the 20 million positive and negative reviews) I felt more anxious and on edge than ever but my search results said that would happen and my doctor had told me I would get worse before I started feeling better so I figured it was normal. After the first 2 days I got the over anxious feeling, so I started focusing on watching out for any other side effects and just getting used to it. The constant yawning the 1st few weeks was just annoying but working out helped a bit. 1 month later and things are going better.

September 8, 2014 11:15 PM

Review by Nick2.0:

For Anxiety: I started Lexapro for major anxiety and moderate depression. I'm on 6 weeks and finally feeling better. I am more energized and motivated than ever. Because of my bad anxiety, I went from 5mg, to 10mg, and then to 20mg. It's been a long battle but I am feeling hopeful again and want to do things! The anxiety is still barely there. The depression is gone! I can't wait until I see the full effects at around 2 months.

September 8, 2014 12:26 PM

Review by Woman, 38 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Lexapro is a lifesaver. Do not worry about the negative reviews, and keep in mind that the majority of them have been written by people who got off after days or a few weeks. Anxiety got a lot worse in the beginning. When it does, you get scared. Scared that the pills won't work. Scared that it will be like this for ever. But it DOES get better. For me, it really took a long time. I felt a very gradual improvement every week, and after about 3 months my anxiety was practically gone. I feel like a new person - it is amazing that a pill is able to do this. And for any emetophobics reading this: It helps against that fear as well. I didn't experience any nausea, but kept Reglan just in case. Sex drive lower, but able to orgasm. Life is good.

September 5, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by Nanajan (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Have been on Lexapro 3 months. Still suffering anxiety symptoms, especially in the morning.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 2, 2014 11:53 PM

Review by Bobble4238:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After several stressful life events I developed an anxiety disorder which quickly evolved into depression. Originally I started on Citalopram which wasn't great, only reduced anxiety by 10% at most, pumped Citalopram up to 30mg/ day, no great improvement. Saw a psychiatrist (who worked with me to start the medication merry-go-round) and started Escitalopram (Lexapro). Lexapro had much the same effect as the Celexa but the mood improved a little. We raised Lexapro from 20-30mg/ day and the anxiety MELTED away, the effect was very pronounced, not totally stress free but no panic attacks and no ever constant anxiety. Tiredness was an issue so we've added 5mg/day Edronax (NRI) which has been excellent. Find what works for you - be strong.

September 2, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by NetMan01:

For Anxiety: I've found a lot of these posts quite encouraging. I started taking Lexapro 6 to 8 years ago - 20mg and definitely felt it was a miracle for that entire 6 to 8 years. I was really stressed and couldn't concentrate at work. Sure, I still had stresses, but they didn't seem to be unmanageable. I was probably doing a little 'too' fine because I tried to get off of it about 3 months ago because I want to see if I could actually go without medicines. BIG MISTAKE!! A couple of life stressers recently popped up and sent my anxiety into overdrive. I immediately called my Dr. to get my prescription refilled. Currently on day 4 and battling anxiety and insomnia, but hopeful that the magic will return soon! I think I'm a lifer on this medicine!

September 1, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by LMLaw70:

For Depression: I was very depressed after my divorce 11 years ago. I would cry easily everyday. My doctor put me on Lexapro 20 mg a day. After a few weeks I was calm and able to handle the difficulties that I had to face. I have never stopped taking it but have cut back to 10mg per day. Each time I try to ween off Lexapro I get very emotional again. My only negative effect has been weight gain. Not happy about the weight gain, but it beats crying at the drop of a hat.

August 25, 2014 12:59 AM

Review by Coco.30:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After a lot of personal trauma in my family, I developed panic disorder, anxiety and mild depression. I tried all natural options and was so against medication. For 3 months I felt miserable, brain fog, confusion, poor memory, crying daily etc to the point I started feeling suicidal. The doc put me on Lexapro 5mg for 1st week and 10 mg since. I'm on it 7 weeks now. First few weeks were tough going, every side effect going I had. Wrecked in the morning so I take it at night now. I sleep fine, bit teary still but nothing like before. I over think a lot still but I can control it better now. This medication has really helped! I'm hoping to wean off it after 6-8 months. Don't give up.

August 24, 2014 5:57 PM

Review by MCBerry:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Really helps to stabilize the constant anxiety I've experienced before starting this medicine. I've noticed that the dose that works best for my generalized anxiety disorder is 20mg, but I've also gained 20lbs since starting this medicine despite being active. I'm curious to know what dosage of this medicine has worked for your condition and how you manage the weight gain on this pill.

August 19, 2014 5:51 PM