Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 121 reviews 6 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 727 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lexapro

Review by AATM (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: It's incredible how much Lexapro has improved my overall emotional wellness in such a short amount of time. I was extremely hesitant to start medication for obvious reasons, but after much research I decided to give it a try. I cannot stress enough how much of a positive effect Lexapro has had on my life. Just feeling that the darkest of clouds has been lifted after lingering for years is pure happiness and relief; I didn't even think it was possible. The first week I was pretty nauseous and I still get drowsy and have some trouble sleeping on this medication, but it is nothing compared to how I felt prior to taking Lexapro. You deserve to be HAPPY. Give it a try.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 27, 2015 6:41 PM

Review by melbin12:

For Anxiety: I was terribly bullied in high school, made fun of my sexuality and developed an extremely high amount of social anxiety. I would shudder at the thought of going to school. I had lost hope. Visited a psychiastrist. Was prescribed Escitalopram. The medicine did not seem as if it was working in the first few months. I was given anti anxiety medicines too so I always credited them whenever I felt better. However, it has almost been an year and now I am only on Escitlopram. I realised I do not need to take any medicine at all because I am just soo confident. I realised that i am suddenly not at all hesitant to go for movies or anywhere Confidence = restored and depression = forgotten.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2015 6:11 PM

Review by HipMama (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Please, please give it a chance to work. The first week my anxiety ramped up. A few days in I was so sick in the morning I was concerned I may be pregnant (nope, the meds did it). But the nausea subsided and the anxiety slowed down and at about 5 weeks in it was basically gone. Xanax helped, but I no longer need it now. Prior to this I felt like the walls were closing in on me. I couldn't focus and I was filled with terror and unreality. Lexapro made these symptoms go away. I don't have constant thoughts and I don't live 'in my head'. Please give it a chance. Stick it out, I promise it worth it, if you felt anything like I did you deserve to feel better and it saved me from the looney bin. I have my life back. 5 mgs. to start and now on 10

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2015 9:30 AM

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Lexapro has truly changed my life. I take it for Anxiety. I used to have anxiety everyday very bad. My heart would beat fast, and I would get butterflies in my stomach. Before I started taking it, I was very timid. Very shy and not good around big groups of people. I felt "socially awkward" ...After a few months of taking Lexapro I became so much more confident. I do well in big crowds. The only reason I did not give it 10 stars is because sometimes I do still get anxiety, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I def recommend this drug for anyone who has anxiety. Give it a try. It could change your life like it changed mine.1 other thing I don't like is it does make me a little drowsy no matter what time of the day or night I take it

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2015 2:43 PM

Review by TLDM:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Lexapro saved me! I started this two weeks ago and could tell a huge difference after a few days! My anxiety was getting the best of me before I started this medicine. I was having anxiety while driving in the car. I finally realized I needed something to help me. My doctor gave me Lexapro. It works! I did feel like a zombie at first but that side effect is fading away. Lexapro has given me my happiness back!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2015 1:44 PM

Review by t-j-r:

For Anxiety: I am a 36 year old female. I have been on Lexapro for 4 months now, and It has definitely helped to change my life for the better. I had crippling anxiety and depression, and finally went to the dr when it reached the point that I could not leave the house to go to work (some days) or even to the grocery store. The first two weeks I took 10 mg/day and now I am on 20 mg/day.At first it made me sort of loopy and low sex drive but those things evened out. I wish I would have started it sooner. Please give this medicine a try if you have depression or anxiety.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2015 11:22 AM

Review by Mjfields (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: The first week is hard. I took it with Xanax to make sure I could sleep through the night. Get through the side effects, and it will change your life. I'm so happy. Night and day difference.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2015 10:04 AM

Review by riknavpdx (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I'm a 66 y/o female with what I think is "atypical depression", meaning I am not melancholy and not unduly anxious, but suffer from what I lovingly call "homocidal irritation," which can escalate to rage pretty easily. Lexapro (10mg) over the past 8-9 yrs has been a lifesafer, as any of my friends will readily corroborate. If I go off for a few days (refill issues), they can tell! However since my mother died 3 yrs ago and ended my 13-year role as caregiver, I have sunk into a very narrow life, with few interests, a morbid aversion to human interaction, and often a complete inability to get out of bed and tend to the simple basics, like eating, showering, and dressing. Have added 20mg of Wellbutrin to the mix, but so far no improvement.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2015 9:44 PM

Review by ssd12777 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I take this 20 MG a day along with Carbamazepine (tegratol/equetro). The two medicines together really make me feel "normal". I don't feel like a zombie. I feel a bit of euphoria on this. This is a good thing, but I can see how that can make some people become dependant on it. However, I feel great on this. I feel a tiny bit tired but I'm not sure if it is one of my meds or my 3 kids tiring me out. Otherwise, no major side effects. Maybe some issues with vaginal dryness but lubricant helps. Doesn't kill my libido the way some antipsychotics can.

April 20, 2015 6:30 PM

Review by Chey Nickole (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: After many, many, many medications, this is the ONLY one that has ever helped!

April 15, 2015 3:28 PM

Review by BE2015:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I suffered from anxiety with significant episodes of depression since I was 19 (I'm 26 now). My anxiety manifested itself as hypochondria mostly. I constantly thought I had cancer, MS, or some other debilitating disease. I feared my loved ones would die or get sick as well. The worry would consume my thoughts and I would spend hours online researching these illnesses, convinced I had something. Started taking Lexapro 20 MG and I've never looked back. My hypochondria is completely gone. "Sad" moods are no longer full-blown depressive episodes. My life seems so much lighter and more manageable. There's no shame in taking medicine if you need it. I only wish I had started it sooner.

April 13, 2015 1:54 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have been on 10mg of Lexapro 3 days. Day one: I was really dizzy and couldn't keep my eyes open. Day 2: was awful. I kept throwing up a few hours after taking it. It felt like a hangover and flu mixed. Everything hurt. By the end of day 2 I noticed I wasn't spending my day planning, thinking, and breaking down tiny details. I was in the moment. It was a little boring at times but it was extremely refreshing. It was amazing to want to go do things without having to make sure everything was thought of. There were no rushes of chest pains. I felt like I should tell everyone how wonderful it was like not be consumed by thought. Day 3: light dizziness and sore muscles. light anxiety after an argument and a concert. I have very high hopes now.

April 13, 2015 9:25 AM

Review by Th3Machin3 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Made my anxiety even worse, was unable to make it past a couple weeks.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2015 7:46 PM

Review by Mariusz88:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After years on Zoloft I've been switched to Lexapro, now I'm 10 mg (targeting 20mg per day) with HUGE DIFFERENCE. No more mood swings, no more anxiety, I'm calm and happy. I'm glad I change my meds, now I feel like living person again ! It's great.

April 10, 2015 3:25 AM

Review by Katzanddogz:

For Depression: I felt like I was going to die and kept passing out. Lost my job, my activities ended and I was a complete mess Dec 2014 my first time suffering from this after being hospitalized because I didnt know what was wrong after numerous Drs and medications. Lexapro was prescribed and after 2 weeks I felt a difference after 3 months, I was back on my feet after 6 months, I was driving and caring, again after 1 year I can work again.

April 9, 2015 10:23 PM

Review by Changed my life! (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Before Lexapro I couldn't get out of bed. I was stuck in my room for 6 months straight. I didnt go anywhere. I had social anxiety. I never went to school. I cried all the time. Had anxiety with breathing problems. I was suicidal daily. NOW I'm a totally different person! I'm so happy. I never have a terrible day. Got a job, have friends, and thinking positive about my future. I now love myself. I don't obsess over pointless things now. I'm more awake and have energy. No more depression or anxiety. 20 mg right away, I love it. Its never disappointed me.

April 9, 2015 8:40 PM

Review by Callieee:

For Anxiety: I had crippling anxiety for about a decade (childhood to early twenties). Panic attacks, social anxiety, and "generalized anxiety" were some of the titles I had gotten. Bottom line I couldn't interact with others, perform simple tasks, speak in public, make eye contact, the list goes on. I had HORRIBLE anxiety panic and depression for years. I developed a pretty serious drinking problem because I was not being treated for anxiety! I was suicidal and finally sought help. Lexapro 10mg at first. I didn't feel different the first month or so. You need to give Lexapro time! I am 100% a different person. People think I am calm, confident, and put together. I feel no panic. No irrational anxiety. It saved my life.

April 7, 2015 10:43 PM

For Anxiety: Lexapro made everything worse for me. Had horrible side effects! Teeth clinching, headaches, zombie like, no energy, insomnia and horrible nightmares. Had to stop after 3 days.

April 3, 2015 5:13 PM

Review by mC1234:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now and I notice an immediate change. I suffered from bad anxiety attacks where I would have them two or three times a night. I was miserable by the time I got prescribed Lexapro. My doctor initially prescribed me Xanax to get me through until my antidepressants start working because they don't have that initial "kick" like Xanax has. I was happy that I had the Lexapro to help me with my depression, and more so anxiety. The only side effects I have noticed is weight gain and lowered sex drive. I think those are nothing compared to feeling depressed. I would recommend this antidepressant.

March 22, 2015 1:52 AM

Review by Jaime-lee:

For Anxiety: Hi started this medication Cipro 2.5 years ago only 5mg. I had side effects to start including joint pain, Brain zaps, dizziness but it passed after 4-7 days and I have been back to myself working a full time job, driving again and living my life. Recommend it for sure.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2015 8:09 PM

Review by SAVED MY LIFE:

For Anxiety: Within a week I felt an immediate change. I no longer obsess over tiny little details or let opportunities pass me by because of my anxiety. I feel like a normal person. Give it a chance!!!

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2015 2:08 AM

Review by dorihe (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I am a Flight Attendant for a major airline. I went into the Flight Deck where the Captain and the First Officer sit 6 years ago and my anxiety developed from one major panic attack after another. I tried everything and I was a biggest advocate for NOT taking medicine. After a 6 year battle I started seeing a doctor of Psychology and a doctor of Psychiatry. Both advised I take Lexapro. I started taking 5 mg for a month then upped to 10 mg a month and then my doctor upped me to 20 mg per day. I have been battling going to work for six years because of Anticipatory Anxiety on an airplane. I am happy to say that I am now back to work and doing things I never thought in my mind that I could ever do. Give Lexapro a chance, its worked!

February 24, 2015 10:22 PM

For Depression: I take 10 mg daily. Started two weeks ago. I was on Zoloft for 3 years prior. The side effects are not as bad as Zoloft. I am still waiting for the full effects since my body is still not used to this medicine. It helps with my depression so far.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2015 5:37 PM

Review by 1wolfee:

For Depression: Lexapro had no effect on me. I took it for 6 mos and I felt the same as I did when I started taking it.... Did not help me feel better.

February 17, 2015 10:03 PM

Review by Eutuxia:

For Depression: I was prescribed Lexapro for Depression, 10mg/day. I have been suffering from depression for nearly 2 years now, and I finally forced myself to seek medical help. I'm only on day 3, but I can honestly notice a slight positive change already. Day 1 & 2 have been a bit difficult; uncontrollable yawning, fatigued and a bit nauseated. But today, day 3, it feels like a light switched on in my brain! That light is at the end of the tunnel, meaning I have to give a little more time. If you are truly depressed, this medicine will help you.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2015 6:37 PM