User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 93 reviews 6 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 632 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

Review by Jvjh:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been on Lexapro for 4 and a half years now and it has saved my life-

September 25, 2014 1:48 PM

Review by JustMyOpinion (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: Been on Lexapro for quite a few years now. It helped me a great deal, my anxiety was out of control. I now lead a pretty normal life now. I would have been sent to the loony bin if it wasn't for Lexapro.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by Kristinaisfree:

For Depression: Lexapro has been a major positive in my life. I've suffered from depression for over 10 years now and taking this pill has solved so many issues I didn't even know where to begin to diagnose myself. My head became stable and generally positive and happy everyday. Its almost impossible to feel THAT down anymore. Another few positives has been that it has helped me slow way way down on my smoking and I have no real desire to drink alcohol, not that I'm free from stress. My sexual desire has actually INCREASED. When you are so stressed all the time your sex drive normally goes down, so now that I am released from stress because of this pill I'm doing things I was never able to do before.

September 23, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by SandyBlonde (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: Never a problem.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by renee5710 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I am taking Lexapro for depression and bulimia. The first week of taking Lexapro my doctor had me on 10mg. Didn't have any negative or positive side effects. I was then bumped up to 20mg. After taking one of the 20mg, the next day my vision was very blurry. It was also getting difficult for me to urinate. (Didn't hurt, but felt like I needed to go ALL the time) I talked to my doctor and she didn't think Lexapro had anything to do with my vision so went back down to 10mg for a week. No negative side effects so went back to 20mg (hoping my body got use to it). No blurry vision this time, but it was still difficult to urinate. The doctor had me get off of it and not even 3 days later I was back to "normal" when it came to using the restroom. Depression was better though. Bulimia..no effect.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2014 10:05 PM

Review by pixies18:

For Anxiety: I have experienced horrible panic attacks and anxiety my whole life but went unnoticed until a major breakdown this summer. I was unable to sleep, had panic attacks at work and could barely function. I had thoughts of doom and my emotions were out of control. The anxiety lead to depression and it felt like my life was spinning out of control. I have since sought help and am doing great on 10mg of Lexapro and 1 mg Klonpin for anxiety. My moods are also better, worrysome thoughts are under control. I highly recommend this medication to anyone suffering from anxiety and depression.

September 11, 2014 6:49 AM

Review by Purplelion (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: After trying to deal with my anxiety without taking medication for the past 2 yrs I finally gave in and asked my doctor for a recommendation. She prescribed me Lexapro the 1st 2 days were a little scary (especially after reading the 20 million positive and negative reviews) I felt more anxious and on edge than ever but my search results said that would happen and my doctor had told me I would get worse before I started feeling better so I figured it was normal. After the first 2 days I got the over anxious feeling, so I started focusing on watching out for any other side effects and just getting used to it. The constant yawning the 1st few weeks was just annoying but working out helped a bit. 1 month later and things are going better.

September 8, 2014 11:15 PM

Review by Nick2.0:

For Anxiety: I started Lexapro for major anxiety and moderate depression. I'm on 6 weeks and finally feeling better. I am more energized and motivated than ever. Because of my bad anxiety, I went from 5mg, to 10mg, and then to 20mg. It's been a long battle but I am feeling hopeful again and want to do things! The anxiety is still barely there. The depression is gone! I can't wait until I see the full effects at around 2 months.

September 8, 2014 12:26 PM

Review by Woman, 38 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Lexapro is a lifesaver. Do not worry about the negative reviews, and keep in mind that the majority of them have been written by people who got off after days or a few weeks. Anxiety got a lot worse in the beginning. When it does, you get scared. Scared that the pills won't work. Scared that it will be like this for ever. But it DOES get better. For me, it really took a long time. I felt a very gradual improvement every week, and after about 3 months my anxiety was practically gone. I feel like a new person - it is amazing that a pill is able to do this. And for any emetophobics reading this: It helps against that fear as well. I didn't experience any nausea, but kept Reglan just in case. Sex drive lower, but able to orgasm. Life is good.

September 5, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by Nanajan (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Have been on Lexapro 3 months. Still suffering anxiety symptoms, especially in the morning.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 2, 2014 11:53 PM

Review by Bobble4238:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After several stressful life events I developed an anxiety disorder which quickly evolved into depression. Originally I started on Citalopram which wasn't great, only reduced anxiety by 10% at most, pumped Citalopram up to 30mg/ day, no great improvement. Saw a psychiatrist (who worked with me to start the medication merry-go-round) and started Escitalopram (Lexapro). Lexapro had much the same effect as the Celexa but the mood improved a little. We raised Lexapro from 20-30mg/ day and the anxiety MELTED away, the effect was very pronounced, not totally stress free but no panic attacks and no ever constant anxiety. Tiredness was an issue so we've added 5mg/day Edronax (NRI) which has been excellent. Find what works for you - be strong.

September 2, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by NetMan01:

For Anxiety: I've found a lot of these posts quite encouraging. I started taking Lexapro 6 to 8 years ago - 20mg and definitely felt it was a miracle for that entire 6 to 8 years. I was really stressed and couldn't concentrate at work. Sure, I still had stresses, but they didn't seem to be unmanageable. I was probably doing a little 'too' fine because I tried to get off of it about 3 months ago because I want to see if I could actually go without medicines. BIG MISTAKE!! A couple of life stressers recently popped up and sent my anxiety into overdrive. I immediately called my Dr. to get my prescription refilled. Currently on day 4 and battling anxiety and insomnia, but hopeful that the magic will return soon! I think I'm a lifer on this medicine!

September 1, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by LMLaw70:

For Depression: I was very depressed after my divorce 11 years ago. I would cry easily everyday. My doctor put me on Lexapro 20 mg a day. After a few weeks I was calm and able to handle the difficulties that I had to face. I have never stopped taking it but have cut back to 10mg per day. Each time I try to ween off Lexapro I get very emotional again. My only negative effect has been weight gain. Not happy about the weight gain, but it beats crying at the drop of a hat.

August 25, 2014 12:59 AM

Review by Coco.30:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After a lot of personal trauma in my family, I developed panic disorder, anxiety and mild depression. I tried all natural options and was so against medication. For 3 months I felt miserable, brain fog, confusion, poor memory, crying daily etc to the point I started feeling suicidal. The doc put me on Lexapro 5mg for 1st week and 10 mg since. I'm on it 7 weeks now. First few weeks were tough going, every side effect going I had. Wrecked in the morning so I take it at night now. I sleep fine, bit teary still but nothing like before. I over think a lot still but I can control it better now. This medication has really helped! I'm hoping to wean off it after 6-8 months. Don't give up.

August 24, 2014 5:57 PM

Review by MCBerry:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Really helps to stabilize the constant anxiety I've experienced before starting this medicine. I've noticed that the dose that works best for my generalized anxiety disorder is 20mg, but I've also gained 20lbs since starting this medicine despite being active. I'm curious to know what dosage of this medicine has worked for your condition and how you manage the weight gain on this pill.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 5:51 PM

Review by Duls (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: There are a lot of negative reviews about this medicine and it's side effects, and that makes a lot of people beginning the medicine, including myself, freak out. The people having a positive experience with Lexapro are out living life. Don't be discouraged. For me, Lexapro started working in the second week, but would work on and off for the first month. I started at 5mg and slowly went up to 15. I'm on week 5 and it hasn't done much for my anxiety (yet) but it has helped my moods tremendously. For the first month I had muscle aches and headaches, and I was really tired and unmotivated. That went away in week 4 and I'm feeling better than I have felt in two years.

August 19, 2014 1:49 PM

Review by Hummingbird1304 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've been on this medicine for approximately 4 mos. I had pretty severe and constant anxiety. The first 3 weeks on this medicine were hell. Severe panic attacks, loss of palette and teeth/jaw clenching. I'm glad I hung on there because the anxiety has almost completely subsided. Only sometimes can I feel the anxiety wanting to surface but it never fully does. This medicine has been a God send. My husband has noticed a huge difference in me. I have gained a small amount of weight and feel a little more "scatterbrained" sometimes. However, that's better than constantly obsessing over every detail!

August 12, 2014 8:50 PM

Review by catsanddogs:

For Depression: I started this medication at a very low dose and experienced nausea, lethargy and dizziness. My doctor told me this was a good sign that the medication was working. I then started to lose control over my thinking and could not focus. My doctor told me this was a symptom of depression and to up the dose of the medication. The nausea never went away and the doctor told me the nausea was anxiety and to up the dose of the medication. I was so sick and tired I was unable to be active or engaged. The doctor told me this was major depressive disorder. Finally, I told my doctor I would no longer take the medication and he gave me a plan for tapering. I experienced extreme dizziness, nausea and hysterical crying. I now feel so much better.

August 5, 2014 1:05 PM

Review by Bullseys (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Finally I found a depression/anxiety medicine that has the least amount of side effects. Tried Elavil, Prozac, Desyrel, Paxil and citalopram (Celaxa) which is very similar to Lexapro but the Celaxa made me sweat when I was not hot, jaw tension, insomnia and hypertension. I think Escitalopram (Lexapro) is the best SSRI out there. I give it a 9 on the scale.

August 3, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by Brownie2820:

For Depression: Sorry but this medicine made me very sick. I had thrown up from it, it made me had really bad panic attacks and made me very dizzy and light headed.

August 2, 2014 9:32 PM

Review by sfo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Life changing medicine for panic disorder and anxiety. Zero side effects save for slight insomnia on days 1-3 and a bit of muscle weirdness and stomach pain (similar to ibuprofen) in week 1. Most days I am a normal person now. Still supplement with clonazepam for trigger situations on occasion, but most of the time I can focus on life without panic distracting me.

July 31, 2014 12:22 AM

Review by Magicpillsaregreat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: If you want to be happy, this is your miracle magic pill. I was prescribed it for depression and generalized anxiety disorder along with an eating disorder. I would get so frustrated over everything, procrastinated, and had a lot of crying spills and nervous word vomit. While on Lexapro, I could handle the things that normally stressed me out in a great way. I was so happy! It was impossible for me to have negative thoughts. I forgot to refill my pills so I didn't take them for about a week. I became really frustrated and upset and just randomly decided I hated Lexapro and being happy. It decreased my sex drive majorly. I couldn't get off at all. It's been two years and I'm going to start taking it again. Lexapro is a miracle.

July 30, 2014 10:52 PM

For Anxiety: Lexapro is amazing. I was blind sided by a panic attack when I was 22. This panic lead to being anxious which lead to obsessive thoughts about feeling poorly, ultimately causing male depression (not sad but lack of lust for life). It was a viscous cycle, I'd obsess over being anxious and this caused me to be more anxious. I had so a dozen symptoms ranging from dizziness to blurry vision to stomach discomfort. It just made no sense to me how all this was related. Long story short, started Lexapro, first 2 weeks made everything worse that just as quickly as it can't the anxiety and obsessive thoughts were gone. Wow up one day and my mind went racing! Would recommend and encourage people not to get discouraged if it doesn't work immediately.

July 30, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by Vrazicak (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: Significant and easily observable reduction of sex drive and erection, but not enough to be a serious issue. Not a single other negative side effect, even during the first days of taking the medicine. I actually had *some* extremely positive side effects in the first week of using, unfortunately, those last only for a week max. Keep in mind that I'm very tolerable to SSRI-s - I didn't have problems with Prozac and Zoloft either.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by Dallasmomof3:

For Depression: I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis a few months back and ended up having to return to the doctor within a month of diagnosis for the same thing. He seemed baffled as he said I shouldn't have had another attack so soon! I had been having some major anxiety so I asked him if this could be the cause and he agreed. He decided to put me on 10 mg of Lexapro and to be honest I wasn't expecting much. I had been on Zoloft, Paxil and Cymbalta with almost no difference. I took the first pill before going to bed that night and woke up in the morning ready to run a marathon! I finally feel happy, hopeful, almost no anxiety, I can speak my mind now when before I was too scared etc., etc.... LOVE IT!

July 19, 2014 8:54 AM