User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 106 reviews 6 medications

Depression 283 reviews 75 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 683 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lexapro

For Depression: I just started Lexapro yesterday. It knocked me out. I also take 4mg of Klonopin everyday. Your input is encouraging. Thank you. I've tried Depakote and lithium. Hated how they make me feel. I'm also underweight so gaining is a plus.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 9:42 AM

Review by Marathon01:

For Anxiety: It is great to read all your different experiences with Escitalopram and it gives me hope that a lot of you have been able to benefit from this. I am only on Day 3 with 10 mg Escitalopram (1st time on AD) and I really hope this will reducere my SA and GAD after 10 years of suffering

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 5:00 AM

Review by hcg90:

For Anxiety: Taking Lexapro was the best decision I've ever made!! I've struggled with anxiety and depression since I was a kid. I had never taken any medications for it until I was 24. The anxiety had taken over my life, I could barely go to work and I was up for most of my nights because my mind would be going 100 miles an hour and I couldn't get my mind to stop racing. I had a lot of social anxiety. Every single little thing would seem like such a huge task or issue. I felt completely exhausted all the time, all I wanted to do was sleep. After about 4 months of being it Lexapro I can finally say I am the happiest I've ever been! I've even started college which is something I thought I would never have the courage to do.

January 16, 2015 7:38 PM

Review by jesb:

For Depression: I was put on this Medication after a suicide attempt two years ago. I dont think I could cope without it even though my life is back on track.

January 8, 2015 10:05 PM

Review by LineH:

For Anxiety: Lexapro played a very important role in saving my life. After suffering serious anxiety and depression, while going through 6 years of therapy, and only feeling worse, I finally accepted that therapy on its own wasn't working. After a month Of using Lexapro, I noticed a significant difference in my quality of life. I liked the change the experience I had when I was first prescribed glasses when I was younger. I remember putting on glasses for the first time and thinking to myself, "I had no idea this is what the world looks like!" Everything was so clear and beautiful. That's what everything was like after starting Lexapro- I had no idea that it was even possible to live a life free from constant, sickening anxiety. Life now is beautiful!

January 3, 2015 11:46 PM

Review by SamiC (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It saved my life. So thankful I gave it a chance.

January 3, 2015 8:28 AM

Review by willie jay:

For Depression: Have taken for two years. It's the only SSRI I could take. All the other SSRI's had terrible side-effects. It really helped with depression and anxiety. It has really helped me to sleep. There are some side effects however. It has really decreased my libido and does make you gain weight. Because of these effects I have decreased my dosage. It is a very good medicine and I would highly recommend it.

January 1, 2015 11:31 AM

Review by Hman2552 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: During a recent stretch of terrible anxiety which crept up very slowly, I suddenly became incapacitated. I was in fear of everything and I couldn't function- AT ALL. I went to my doctor and explained the symptoms and he recommended Lexapro 10 mg. with Klonopin .5 mg. as needed. I took both medications and the Klonopin erased all the startup side effects of the Lexapro such as increased nervousness, insomnia, and poor appetite. As soon as the Lexapro kicked in, ( about three weeks) I was able to step off the Klonopin and have felt great ever since. Anxiety has been wiped out and sleep has improved. I feel 100% better. Don't give up, this medication WORKS !!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by collegegirl4184092:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My experience on this medication was a roller coaster but thank God I stayed on. I am a 21 year old college female, studied abroad in Europe with no anxiety problems, but when I came home my world came crumbling down. I couldn't work and would even throw up and pass out from anxiety. When I went on 5mg I had every side effect in the book. I wanted to get off but stuck it out. Went from 5 to 10 to 20mg, which I am on now. It took 5-6 weeks but THANK GOD I waited. I feel back to my old self and can resume my normal life. I would've been in the looney bin had it not been for Lexapro. Not a 10/10 because it took so long to work and side effects were awful at first, but they go away!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2014 9:24 AM

Review by Jen3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It made me sick and severely depressed. I was waking up everyday with suicidal thoughts. It was awful

December 9, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was so tired on this medication, I don't think I gave it long enough to work before I switched to something else.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by WorryWartNoMore (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: The first week and a half I started 5mg of Lexapro was a nightmare. I would have a psychedelic experience each night when I would try to sleep. It was like my mind was wondering through the expanse of the universe. Very trippy. However, after that first week or so, that feeling went away and it has been nothing less than a miracle for anxiety. Ever since my best friend was killed in a head on collision with a drunk driver 4 years ago, I had been extremely worried and anxious that the same scenario would play out with another loved one. I would obsess over this daily and was driving myself crazy. Now that I'm on Lexapro, I don't have those feelings anymore. Sure, I worry about things sometimes, but now I'm free from obsessing.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by KH411:

For Major Depressive Disorder: After suffering with slight anxiety and what I now look back and recognize as mild depression for years my anxiety "blew up" one year ago. It manifested itself in severe panic attacks about diseases, life, intrusive thoughts, and thinking that I was going crazy. It got worse for 8 months until I figured I was going to die or find a med that worked. I tried 2 prior to Lexapro and they were awful. I had no quality of life and honestly thought I'd be dead by now. Lexapro SAVED my life. It kicked in in about 5 weeks and I had some rough patches for a few more. At week 8 I was me again. At times I still have severe anxiety with intrusive thoughts but they are easy to push away. I have a life again!

November 30, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by Kody G.:

For Depression: I dealt with anxiety and depression for several years. I had high social anxiety, and pleasure in isolation and darkness. I started on one SSRI but the side effects turned me into another person completely, I experienced emotional, spiritual, and creative numbness, weight gain, and overconfidence. So I got off of it because I wasn't myself anymore. So I tapered off of that and then I got on Lexapro and it immediately took care of my depressive symptoms and anxiety. I bumped up to 20mg after a couple of months and I am perfectly back to normal. I feel like myself. No side effects at all! I highly recommend Lexapro. Just be patient and wait it out.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by thebigirish1126 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Best medication ever. It takes a bit to kick in but once it does ....amazing. I am on my way to getting my life back. Don't get discouraged it works. I was in my sixth week before i felt it and my doctor increased me to 20 mg and things are going great.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by J.M.:

For Depression: I've been on Lexapro for about 2 weeks and I feel amazing! Not only has my anxiety decreased but my mood swings have also decreased. I'm experiencing some night sweats but that's nothing compared to the anxiety attacks I was having before. I've also noticed that I have little desire to smoke cigarettes and no desire to drink anymore. Lexapro has given me my life back! Taking for depression due to Bipolar.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 7:46 AM

Review by BebeCosette (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I waited 2 months to write this because I was convinced it wouldn't work for me. Lexapro WORKS. Stick it out before giving up. I got much worse before I got better. I started at 10 mg and am now at 20 mg. In the beginning, my anxiety and obsessive thoughts got a lot worse, and when I increased my dose it spiked up again. But it finally passed and the difference is huge. I feel like me again, but me without crippling anxiety and constant obsessive thoughts. My periods do make it worse. My side effects of dry mouth, constipation, sleeplessness, heavy sweating all are gone now. And NO sexual issues for me. Oh, and don't be scared of the generic - that's what I take. Hang in there and give it time!

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by Louis 45:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: To make my story short, I suffered from Generalized Anxiety Disorder and severe panic attacks in high school. After a couple of years of psychiatric help (no medicines at the time) I was able to live a complete free panic attack life for more than 13 years. Suddenly, after two important job transfers and a couple of personal set backs, the GAD returned along with severe panic attacks that led to the hospital a couple of times. Anxiety/Panic Attacks became so severe that I was simply not capable of performing my job nor having a social life and took a plane home thinking of quitting. Fortunately, I was convinced by my doctor to take Lexapro (10mg)... what a life changer. Positive effects began to kick in 3 to 4 weeks (activation symptoms did occur for 2 weeks).

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by Isolde Marina:

For Anxiety: I've been on and off Lexapro for 6 years. I got off it twice thinking I was completely fine and then a year later (both times getting off) my anxiety came back tenfold. I am back on Lexapro now and happier than ever. Many people are scared of being on medicine or asking for help but we are all made differently and some of us need medicines to live a fuller, more amazing life. Lexapro has enabled me to accomplish things I didn't see possible and allowed me to relax and enjoy life more! Everyone has their own definition as anxiety but to me if your anxiety is interfering with your every day life then try everything you can to remediate it. I have tried yoga, vitamins/ other homeopathic remedies and as much as I wished they worked, they didn't.

November 19, 2014 8:59 PM

Review by katzy (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This has helped me so much! I was prescribed this for my anxiety but also have a history of depression. The first day on this I noticed a huge difference. I went from having anxiety attacks 5 times a day to basically none. I'm so happy I got lucky with my first try at any antidepressant. This really is great.

November 18, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by M L R (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was always someone with underlining anxiety about anything. Stupid things like where is the bathroom or how hot will the airplane be. I hated flying, be passenger in cars but even with all these silly things, I never had any physical symptoms. No one know what anxiety is unless you experience the debilitating physical symptoms of it. I was an absolute mess. Was put on Celexa 10mg right away and it simply was way too much to jump on. I stopped after 4 days and freaked out thinking I was going out of my mind. Then I reluctantly started Lexapro after seeing my first Psych. He started me on 2.5mg and went up to 10 within 6 weeks. Finally a year later and total CURE! No more anxiety. You'll love this medicine.

November 16, 2014 9:26 PM

Review by Tsrm (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Out of nowhere, due to what they think is genetics, I got hit with depression, anxiety, and a form of OCD in my early twenties. The Lexapro was a life saver. Although, I still have negative thoughts on a daily basis, I'm able to cope, and I'm not miserable like I was. However, there is one common downside to this medicine that has left me terribly upset and frustrated. I've been on Lexapro for a year and a half now and have put on about 20 lbs. I work out almost every day and eat right for the most part. I have not shed a pound. I've never been this big before and to me, I feel as though Lexapro isn't worth it anymore. I'm weening off of it with my doctor's help, and am going to try and cope with my issues with different methods.

November 16, 2014 7:13 PM

Review by lolly pop (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: Made me worse. I felt worse on this than when I started. I gained bad anxiety as a side affect.

November 16, 2014 3:52 PM

Review by Survivorofdeath:

For Depression: Worked amazing and turned my life around for 1-4 months then I got bad again and now I'm on something else, but Lexapro does effect my weight but I felt so amazing for 3 months and that was more important to me at the time.

November 15, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by Z0RN (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I'm 22 years old and have suffered from post traumatic stress disorder/ depression since I was a youngster stemming from childhood sexual abuse. This medicine has saved my life, it took about a month/ month and a half to kick in, but when it did it really eased my symptoms. I did experience some mild side effects in the beginning, but they all went away except for some loss of libido and delayed ejaculation. Overall, I would recommend this medicine to someone who is in a similar situation as I found myself in.

November 14, 2014 4:51 PM