User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 196 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 23 reviews 47 medications

7.7
Summary of Lexapro reviews 975 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

For Depression "For me personally, I hated Lexpro. It made me a shell of the person I used to be and like others have described, a walking zombie. I couldn't connect with my emotions whatsoever. There are much better SSRI's available!"

finners (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2016

For Anxiety "Been on this for roughly 3 weeks. I started taking 10 mgs but I'm currently only taking 2.5 mgs. The first week was a lil bad. I took at night and the med kicked in in like 3 hours. I couldn't sleep, had increased anxiety and it upset my stomach. I cut down to 5 then 2.5. Now I'm fine, panic attacks are pretty much gone (before I was getting them daily sometimes even 2 or 3 times). The attacks were starting to interfere with work n life n I had to get some help. I tried working out n eating better but it wasn't helping. This works but it takes time. Also, I take this in the mornings with food. It gives me energy so taking at night wasn't good for me bc it would keep me up. Start with a low dose so your body gets used to it."

NesaNes May 22, 2016

For Anxiety "I was told by my psychiatrist to try lexapro 10 mg for my anxiety. I have tried other medications in the past to help with it like Wellbutrin and Zoloft. They didn't help at all I got side effects right away like nausa,headaches and dizziness. So I was hoping that lexapro would help where the others didnt. I kept a positive attitude in hopes that it would make me have less anxiety. I took my first pill and 2 hrs later I felt so nauseous that I had trouble standing up without wanting to vomit. Then I starting feeling like my scalp was on fire. Also parts of my skin felt like it had a burning sensation. It didn't go away for the rest of the day. The next day I tried again and the same thing happened I wondered if with EDS if I can't take it"

Abra0517 (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

For Anxiety "My mood improved significantly with Lexapro. No anxiety or panic attacks whatsoever. However after about a week on it, I had severe diharrea. I literally was afraid to eat."

Steven1970 May 19, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Had every side effect in the beginning. Almost quit taking it. But I am so glad I stuck it out. After 9 months of being on the medication I am finally starting to feel normal again. I begin taking this after I had my second baby I suffered terrible anxiety and generalised anxiety disorder. I am still breastfeeding so that was sent me your consideration however I haven't noticed anything changing in my child whilst feeding. I am so glad I continue taking this and I have to say to anyone who is thinking about stopping due to the side effects at the start keep at it it will only be a couple of months before you start to feel better. Lexapro seriously saved my life!"

Emzmother May 17, 2016

For Depression "I am taking 20 MG and it has completely taken away my anxiety. I do not like the sexual side effects but its much better then getting panic attacks. Highly recommend this drug for anyone who has GAD."

NoMoreAnxiety May 16, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Im 17 years old and started suffering with depression a couple months after my dad died and thats when I was put on Lexapro 10mg. The side effects were horrible for the first couple of days, extreme nausea and massive headaches. About a couple of weeks later we upped my dosage to 20mg and it helped me with me depression a little bit for a while but now (about 4 months later) my depression has gone back to how it was before I started Lexapro. Ive also noticed that it has made me extremely exhausted all of the time. I have to sleep at least 12 hours to function and even then it is hard to wake up and carry out my day. This may work for some but it did not work well for me. Im going to try to switch antidepressants within the next few days."

Sxanb (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

For Anxiety "I've always been an anxious person, usually I find my anxiety serves me well to stay on top of a busy household, but occasionally the anxiety is destructive instead, like after the birth of a child or difficult times. I'd had a horrid couple of years, nursing my mum to the end from cancer and eventually it caught up with me, panic attacks, health anxiety, obsession on breathing, palpitations constantly. I went straight onto 20mg as had been on this drug briefly a decade ago. The first 24 hours were weird, dizzy, disorientated, mildly nauseous and a huge panic attack. I only slept 3 hours a night for the first 2-3 days. By week 3 I sleep 8hrs a night, have energy during the day and zero anxiety. I feel great! Lexapro is great but be patient"

Mumtolots (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2016

For Depression "Overall, for me, Lexapro was very destructive. I was on it for about three months and in that time my depression worsened, but that's not necessarily the worst part. The debilitating panic attacks that put me in the hospital was the worst part. After cutting the dose from 10 mg to 5 mg and not seeing any difference, I discontinued it. Bad depression, bad anxiety, bad drug overall; at least for me anyway."

elliottgroce (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "After the death of my father I was thrown into an extremely depressive state and it only got worse as time went on. I was unable to get out of bed in the morning, go to school and could not carry out my normal life due to the constant feelings of hopelessness, sadness, etc. I had lost interest in everything and everyone and also began self harming. Ive been on Lexapro (20 mg) for about four months and it has helped me a large amount with my depression but it makes me feel like a bit of a zombie. The side effects were not the best but it has given me the energy and hope to get out of bed in the morning. Lexapro helped me a immense amount and I would recommend that you try it."

ShawneeB May 4, 2016

For Anxiety "I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks. I am on day seven and haven't noticed any improvements, my anxiety was increased and I am experiencing some dizziness. However I am going to let the pill take it's course even though it's been hard to continue on it. My dad took the pill and had success with it so I'm hoping that's the case for me! Most of all just think positive that it will work! You will get through this! :)"

Racelife32 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "back on lexapro after a few years of not taking it. only been taking it for about a week so far and having little side effects at all. yawning a fair bit and feeling a little tired here and there but for me this is a good thing because i used have real trouble sleeping at night. nothing else other than that. no dizzy spells, no nausea, nothing! if you are new to this or are reading reviews to see if you will be ok with lexapro than PLEASE give it a chance. you will be so thankful for it once you start feeling the benefits from it. as i said ive only started taking it again about a week ago so im not back to being my normal self just yet but i know its coming any day now with a positive attitude!"

Johnny Tapp May 1, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Didn't do much for me at all, often felt sedated. Motivation is really bad. It stopped me from crying 24/7 and now I have an appetite but thats about it. Onto the next med I guess, I need the next one to be much better."

Nextmediguess (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 29, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "The time I been on lexapro I had mild side effects like yawning and insomnia really bad to the point I am only sleeping five hours or so...I can say it calms you but I haven't got the full effect of getting back to my old self again..."

Anonymous April 27, 2016

For Anxiety "I've been on this medication for 2 1/2 months now, so I'm not sure if that's long enough to judge this medication, but here I go. I am a 21 year old male, and I've had anxiety for as long as I remember, and on and off depression since I was about 15. This medication works FANTASTICALLY for both anxiety and depression. Both symptoms are at an all time low, and I love this medicine for that. Unfortunately, side effects are present, and for me, never went away. I ALWAYS feel tired on this medicine (as a result, caffeine is my best friend). Because of the side effects, I don't particular recommend this medicine, but everyone's body works differently, and it may be right for you."

asdflkjh3125t1353521 April 24, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Hi I started lexapro 20 mg around Dec 2015, for generalized anxiety. I was scared to take any prescribed drug due to me not wanting to get hooked on meds. My anxiety so bad that I was unable to function at all. I have two children and there was no other option for me but to try something. The first week I had insomnia, slight tremors. I would wake up every morning at 6am with it seemed to be a empty stomach. I went to the ER twice in the first week. I felt like there was no end. My husband thought it was all in my head. By week 2 every side effect started to decrease day by day. I was able to get out of bed and clean my house. I felt like I was not confined anymore. Week 4 brand new me. Try this med, it saved me and could save you!!!"

michellejob (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

For Depression "I felt a positive difference within the first week. I also have generalized anxiety and it seems to have helped with it as well. Due to my epilepsy, I take the highest dosage that I can, which is 10mg. I feel better but I think 20 would work great."

koffepot (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016

For Depression "I have taken Lexapro for 10 years. I had severe depression/anxiety and was put on Lexapro and xanax-(initially). If I skipped or I didn't take my Lexapro on time, I would have a bad bought of anxiety within a day. Too much or double up, and my brain was on fire and severe anxiety. But, it has been a life saver. I am totally myself with no weird thoughts or dreams and am happy! Your body will let you know when you should lower your dosage, but that will take a while, like years (headaches were my symptoms). Note for women, I still felt off right before my period. My doctor added the mini pill for the estrogen and now I am 100% all month. P.S. watch some of the generics, some have bad side effects!!!!"

jhappy! April 20, 2016

For Depression "I personally didn't like this medication. The first intake had me feeling like a walking zombie. It made me deaf and nauseous."

nishiiiiiiie April 15, 2016

For Anxiety "Today is my 3rd day on medication. I was prescribed it for social anxiety (despite being a beautiful 6'2 male with no reason to be anxious about appearance) generalized anxiety and panic attacks. Talking to people in malls, convenience stores and being around large groups of people frighten me. I havent noticed much of a difference other than lack of sleep, crazy amazing lucid dreams for the first two nights and my jaw clenching. So far no effect on anxiety and took a benzo because Im feeling restless but still feeling restless right now. I pray this works as Im unable to work now due to my anxiety. Ive always had anxiety but after having mono for 2 months it has spiraled completely out of control. I will update this soon. Please work!"

anxietyruinslives100 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

For Anxiety "I have had three very good experiences with Lexapo. To any readers in deep depression and with anxiety, rule one is to not take bad experiences you read on the web as your future experience. Each time I have experienced major depression, I started on 10 mg and had to grind my way through at least 4 weeks to feel any positive effects and the worse side effects were gone. I was bumped up to 20mg and it took two weeks of living through hell again and than suddenly it was gone. Exercise, get out and face your demons, and remember it can and will get better (yes, hard to believe when they could scrape you off the wall but it will happen). Good luck ... you have my sympathy and encouragement."

Phantom III (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2016

"I was prescribed lexapro after trying Zoloft. Zoloft did not work out for me. I've been taking lexapro for two weeks now and over all I feel much better. I occasionally have to take half a klonopin on bad days but over all, I am improving. There were some side effects but I was able to manage them even with school. Nothing I couldn't handle. I have a much better out look, and I have motivation to help others. I'm trying to exercise as well. I hope this medicine continues to help with my anxiety and depression:)"

Quince April 15, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "After four years my sweats are getting g worse and hope I don't have to stop taking this medication as it took the butterfly feel from my stomach"

thankfull (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2016

For Anxiety "I have been taking Lexapro 10mgs for nearly 4 months because of anxiety and mild depression. I had about 5 days at first with some dizziness and nausea, after that things smoothed out. Almost immediately it cured my insomnia by 95%.I take it in the morning. In the past, if I woke up at night my thoughts would turn to things that kept me from falling asleep again. As far as anxiety, I am not worrying about things at work so much. I still have some social and anticipatory anxiety, but it is some better than before. Depression is much better; I frequently have a warm feeling of happiness and everything will be alright. Before I felt distressed and flat about the future. So, I would definitely recommend a trial with this medication."

poodlelover April 14, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on many medications through the years, and this is the first one I've been on a medication that didn't make me drowsy, and had side effects I could tolerate. Having Major Depressive Disorder, PTSD, and Anxiety, but also having issues with psych medication side effects; I've been quite happy with this medication. It takes the edge off my negative moods, and at times renders me ambivalent-- which is better than before considering my PTSD anxiety was driving me to suicidal inclinations. However, if you aren't dealing with severe depression and anxiety, I'd suggest something less intense. Also, my medicaid covered this medication, but many insurance companies wont, and the original price is naught to scoff at."

Tia DeFye (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2016