User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 91 reviews 6 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 620 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

Review by LMLaw70:

For Depression: I was very depressed after my divorce 11 years ago. I would cry easily everyday. My doctor put me on Lexapro 20 mg a day. After a few weeks I was calm and able to handle the difficulties that I had to face. I have never stopped taking it but have cut back to 10mg per day. Each time I try to ween off Lexapro I get very emotional again. My only negative effect has been weight gain. Not happy about the weight gain, but it beats crying at the drop of a hat.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2014 12:59 AM

Review by Coco.30:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After a lot of personal trauma in my family, I developed panic disorder, anxiety and mild depression. I tried all natural options and was so against medication. For 3 months I felt miserable, brain fog, confusion, poor memory, crying daily etc to the point I started feeling suicidal. The doc put me on Lexapro 5mg for 1st week and 10 mg since. I'm on it 7 weeks now. First few weeks were tough going, every side effect going I had. Wrecked in the morning so I take it at night now. I sleep fine, bit teary still but nothing like before. I over think a lot still but I can control it better now. This medication has really helped! I'm hoping to wean off it after 6-8 months. Don't give up.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2014 5:57 PM

Review by MCBerry:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Really helps to stabilize the constant anxiety I've experienced before starting this medicine. I've noticed that the dose that works best for my generalized anxiety disorder is 20mg, but I've also gained 20lbs since starting this medicine despite being active. I'm curious to know what dosage of this medicine has worked for your condition and how you manage the weight gain on this pill.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 5:51 PM

Review by Duls (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: There are a lot of negative reviews about this medicine and it's side effects, and that makes a lot of people beginning the medicine, including myself, freak out. The people having a positive experience with Lexapro are out living life. Don't be discouraged. For me, Lexapro started working in the second week, but would work on and off for the first month. I started at 5mg and slowly went up to 15. I'm on week 5 and it hasn't done much for my anxiety (yet) but it has helped my moods tremendously. For the first month I had muscle aches and headaches, and I was really tired and unmotivated. That went away in week 4 and I'm feeling better than I have felt in two years.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 1:49 PM

Review by Hummingbird1304 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've been on this medicine for approximately 4 mos. I had pretty severe and constant anxiety. The first 3 weeks on this medicine were hell. Severe panic attacks, loss of palette and teeth/jaw clenching. I'm glad I hung on there because the anxiety has almost completely subsided. Only sometimes can I feel the anxiety wanting to surface but it never fully does. This medicine has been a God send. My husband has noticed a huge difference in me. I have gained a small amount of weight and feel a little more "scatterbrained" sometimes. However, that's better than constantly obsessing over every detail!

August 12, 2014 8:50 PM

Review by catsanddogs:

For Depression: I started this medication at a very low dose and experienced nausea, lethargy and dizziness. My doctor told me this was a good sign that the medication was working. I then started to lose control over my thinking and could not focus. My doctor told me this was a symptom of depression and to up the dose of the medication. The nausea never went away and the doctor told me the nausea was anxiety and to up the dose of the medication. I was so sick and tired I was unable to be active or engaged. The doctor told me this was major depressive disorder. Finally, I told my doctor I would no longer take the medication and he gave me a plan for tapering. I experienced extreme dizziness, nausea and hysterical crying. I now feel so much better.

August 5, 2014 1:05 PM

Review by Bullseys (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Finally I found a depression/anxiety medicine that has the least amount of side effects. Tried Elavil, Prozac, Desyrel, Paxil and citalopram (Celaxa) which is very similar to Lexapro but the Celaxa made me sweat when I was not hot, jaw tension, insomnia and hypertension. I think Escitalopram (Lexapro) is the best SSRI out there. I give it a 9 on the scale.

August 3, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by Brownie2820:

For Depression: Sorry but this medicine made me very sick. I had thrown up from it, it made me had really bad panic attacks and made me very dizzy and light headed.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 9:32 PM

Review by sfo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Life changing medicine for panic disorder and anxiety. Zero side effects save for slight insomnia on days 1-3 and a bit of muscle weirdness and stomach pain (similar to ibuprofen) in week 1. Most days I am a normal person now. Still supplement with clonazepam for trigger situations on occasion, but most of the time I can focus on life without panic distracting me.

July 31, 2014 12:22 AM

Review by Magicpillsaregreat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: If you want to be happy, this is your miracle magic pill. I was prescribed it for depression and generalized anxiety disorder along with an eating disorder. I would get so frustrated over everything, procrastinated, and had a lot of crying spills and nervous word vomit. While on Lexapro, I could handle the things that normally stressed me out in a great way. I was so happy! It was impossible for me to have negative thoughts. I forgot to refill my pills so I didn't take them for about a week. I became really frustrated and upset and just randomly decided I hated Lexapro and being happy. It decreased my sex drive majorly. I couldn't get off at all. It's been two years and I'm going to start taking it again. Lexapro is a miracle.

July 30, 2014 10:52 PM

For Anxiety: Lexapro is amazing. I was blind sided by a panic attack when I was 22. This panic lead to being anxious which lead to obsessive thoughts about feeling poorly, ultimately causing male depression (not sad but lack of lust for life). It was a viscous cycle, I'd obsess over being anxious and this caused me to be more anxious. I had so a dozen symptoms ranging from dizziness to blurry vision to stomach discomfort. It just made no sense to me how all this was related. Long story short, started Lexapro, first 2 weeks made everything worse that just as quickly as it can't the anxiety and obsessive thoughts were gone. Wow up one day and my mind went racing! Would recommend and encourage people not to get discouraged if it doesn't work immediately.

July 30, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by Vrazicak (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: Significant and easily observable reduction of sex drive and erection, but not enough to be a serious issue. Not a single other negative side effect, even during the first days of taking the medicine. I actually had *some* extremely positive side effects in the first week of using, unfortunately, those last only for a week max. Keep in mind that I'm very tolerable to SSRI-s - I didn't have problems with Prozac and Zoloft either.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by Dallasmomof3:

For Depression: I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis a few months back and ended up having to return to the doctor within a month of diagnosis for the same thing. He seemed baffled as he said I shouldn't have had another attack so soon! I had been having some major anxiety so I asked him if this could be the cause and he agreed. He decided to put me on 10 mg of Lexapro and to be honest I wasn't expecting much. I had been on Zoloft, Paxil and Cymbalta with almost no difference. I took the first pill before going to bed that night and woke up in the morning ready to run a marathon! I finally feel happy, hopeful, almost no anxiety, I can speak my mind now when before I was too scared etc., etc.... LOVE IT!

July 19, 2014 8:54 AM

Review by DessertintheDesert (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Been taking Lexapro 10mg for 4 weeks now. It started to help a little after just 2 days. Now I have very few guilt feelings, nearly no depression, no suicidal thoughts, no obsessing over negative things. Not too much help with social anxiety, but does help anxiety around angry people. Unfortunately, during PMS, it barely helps me, but once that is passed, I'm okay again. Makes sleep WONDERFUL and easy. Side effects-sleepy off and on during the day, mild, treatable, headaches the first few days.

July 14, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by Covit (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: 2 month depression, insomnia. Tried meditation, exercise, psychotherapy, sometime help, but has great mood swing, finally decide to take Lexapro. First night, I took 10mg, it kept me awake whole night. So I took 5mg now in the morning. It seemed to improve my mood, but I have insomnia with this.

July 13, 2014 9:07 AM

Review by kal320 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Was on Lexapro after the death of my mom, I didn't like the sexual side effects so I was switched to Wellbutrin, it made me hungry all the time but did work for a few months then suddenly stopped and I was worse than before. I went back on the Lexapro and am doing much better with the anxiety and depression. As for side effects, I would rather deal with those then anxiety and depression any day.

July 7, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by ddmau (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I suffered from depression and generalized anxiety disorder for 4 years and 10 mg of Lexapro worked miracles. Side effects lasted about month and included fuzziness, fatigue and brain zaps. I weaned myself off 6 months ago and should NOT have done that. Fell into major depression and horrible anxiety including panic attacks. Really bottomed out finally with a twitching emotional collapse curled up in bed. Forced myself to Dr. who put me back on 10 mg 3 weeks ago. First week side effects horrible, including nausea, cramps, brain zaps, tremors and nightmares. Now, into 4th week, depression is gone, anxiety much relieved and able to function. I know in another couple of weeks, I will be back to normal again.

June 23, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by Curlz (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: First and foremost, like so many others on here--Lexapro saved my life. I was not necessarily suicidal, but litterally, had no life and was scared all the time. For the most part no one knew what I was dealing with, I was a highly respected professional who somehow managed to keep it to herself. I would sneak off to bathrooms all the time to go in a stall and calm down, if no one was in there, I would indulge on laying on the cold tile floor to just try and cool myself off. I stopped going to movies, on dates, church, anything where I felt trapped. I was not afraid of flying, I was afraid of when the time between take off and when the captain turned off the seat belt sign. This medicine gave ME back, 5 years strong.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2014 3:02 PM

Review by Bikebke:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Good

June 21, 2014 1:18 PM

Review by Shoegazer (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: Lexapro (Cipralex in Canada) is an effective antidepressant that worked well for generalized anxiety disorder. I took it because I had general anxiety (occasional panic attacks) and depression. It worked well in both areas. It helped a lot with mood, confidence, anxiety, motivation. But it was not without side effects. It does cause weight gain, although the exact reason is confusing. I went from 180 pounds to 200 pounds in 6 months. There are also sexual side effects, prolonged ejaculation with very little feeling and a strange feeling of being unable to urinate freely (taking longer than usual). It made me very sleepy. Weening off is difficult. Those are the pros and cons. If the cons don't sound too bad to you it will help otherwise.

June 11, 2014 12:09 PM

Review by Lizzy15:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I suffered (still do) from generalized anxiety disorder. About 4 months ago I finally had to do something. My anxiety got so bad that I couldn't do anything, and I didn't want to do anything! School didn't interest me, I never wanted to go out with my friends, and the symptoms were so bad that all I wanted to do was stay in bed. (dizziness, fatigue, muscle aches, panic attacks, and waking up out of nowhere during the night) I went to my doctor and he prescribed me 10mg of Lexapro. At first, I was scared to take it but I finally was like WHAT THE HECK?! This might help me. And it did. The first week or two I felt dizzy like I was swaying back and fourth, and the dry mouth was annoying but I got used to it. This medication makes me feel like a new person!

June 10, 2014 11:55 PM

Review by Bree(: (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I finally feel more mentally stable! I've been on this for a week and a half and I already noticed a HUGE difference like ...I'm in serious shock. This is like a miracle. I've been diagnosed with depression, and every type of anxiety. I am now more talkative, I have way more patience & I just feel so happy. Like I feel normal. And I had little to no side effects. I did 5mg for a week then upped to 10mg three days ago and since I started all I felt was more tired but that went away in the first 3 days. The first day though I took a nap after I took it and I lost my appetite for the night and I felt a bit shaky for 2 secs but after that everything was normal.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by Rozer (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Completely numbed me, gave me horrible panic attacks. Even when I'd gotten used to the medication my panic attacks turned into a deep depression and felt completely lifeless. 5 weeks in I couldn't do it anymore

June 4, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by Anonymous12345663311 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Been on this medication for almost a week. Within the first two days I had stopped having panic attacks, down from around two-three a day. Side effects are minor, at least to me. I get hungry a lot, and sometimes can't sleep properly, but both of those are essentially the same as how it was before, so I'm used to it.

June 3, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by Antimeds (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: For almost three years I dealt with major depression and anxiety. After my separation, my life fell apart and I couldn't control my emotions. I was dealing with depression, anxiety and rage. I am very anti medication but knew I needed help. I completely broke down and sought help. I was prescribed Zoloft for the first time in my life and felt that I went crazy. My anxiety kicked in overtime and I lost my job. I will never be able to explain how bad it was but I tried to just survive for another year thinking nothing would help. Three months ago I went back to my doctor's office and was prescribed 20mg of Lexapro. I told her I was terrified but would try anything at this point. It took two months to feel like a human again. It saved me.

May 27, 2014 10:08 PM