Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 120 reviews 6 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 721 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lexapro

Review by TLDM:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Lexapro saved me! I started this two weeks ago and could tell a huge difference after a few days! My anxiety was getting the best of me before I started this medicine. I was having anxiety while driving in the car. I finally realized I needed something to help me. My doctor gave me Lexapro. It works! I did feel like a zombie at first but that side effect is fading away. Lexapro has given me my happiness back!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2015 1:44 PM

Review by Mjfields (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: The first week is hard. I took it with Xanax to make sure I could sleep through the night. Get through the side effects, and it will change your life. I'm so happy. Night and day difference.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2015 10:04 AM

Review by ssd12777 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I take this 20 MG a day along with Carbamazepine (tegratol/equetro). The two medicines together really make me feel "normal". I don't feel like a zombie. I feel a bit of euphoria on this. This is a good thing, but I can see how that can make some people become dependant on it. However, I feel great on this. I feel a tiny bit tired but I'm not sure if it is one of my meds or my 3 kids tiring me out. Otherwise, no major side effects. Maybe some issues with vaginal dryness but lubricant helps. Doesn't kill my libido the way some antipsychotics can.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 6:30 PM

Review by Chey Nickole (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: After many, many, many medications, this is the ONLY one that has ever helped!

April 15, 2015 3:28 PM

Review by BE2015:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I suffered from anxiety with significant episodes of depression since I was 19 (I'm 26 now). My anxiety manifested itself as hypochondria mostly. I constantly thought I had cancer, MS, or some other debilitating disease. I feared my loved ones would die or get sick as well. The worry would consume my thoughts and I would spend hours online researching these illnesses, convinced I had something. Started taking Lexapro 20 MG and I've never looked back. My hypochondria is completely gone. "Sad" moods are no longer full-blown depressive episodes. My life seems so much lighter and more manageable. There's no shame in taking medicine if you need it. I only wish I had started it sooner.

April 13, 2015 1:54 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have been on 10mg of Lexapro 3 days. Day one: I was really dizzy and couldn't keep my eyes open. Day 2: was awful. I kept throwing up a few hours after taking it. It felt like a hangover and flu mixed. Everything hurt. By the end of day 2 I noticed I wasn't spending my day planning, thinking, and breaking down tiny details. I was in the moment. It was a little boring at times but it was extremely refreshing. It was amazing to want to go do things without having to make sure everything was thought of. There were no rushes of chest pains. I felt like I should tell everyone how wonderful it was like not be consumed by thought. Day 3: light dizziness and sore muscles. light anxiety after an argument and a concert. I have very high hopes now.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2015 9:25 AM

Review by Th3Machin3 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Made my anxiety even worse, was unable to make it past a couple weeks.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2015 7:46 PM

Review by Mariusz88:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After years on Zoloft I've been switched to Lexapro, now I'm 10 mg (targeting 20mg per day) with HUGE DIFFERENCE. No more mood swings, no more anxiety, I'm calm and happy. I'm glad I change my meds, now I feel like living person again ! It's great.

April 10, 2015 3:25 AM

Review by Katzanddogz:

For Depression: I felt like I was going to die and kept passing out. Lost my job, my activities ended and I was a complete mess Dec 2014 my first time suffering from this after being hospitalized because I didnt know what was wrong after numerous Drs and medications. Lexapro was prescribed and after 2 weeks I felt a difference after 3 months, I was back on my feet after 6 months, I was driving and caring, again after 1 year I can work again.

April 9, 2015 10:23 PM

Review by Changed my life! (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Before Lexapro I couldn't get out of bed. I was stuck in my room for 6 months straight. I didnt go anywhere. I had social anxiety. I never went to school. I cried all the time. Had anxiety with breathing problems. I was suicidal daily. NOW I'm a totally different person! I'm so happy. I never have a terrible day. Got a job, have friends, and thinking positive about my future. I now love myself. I don't obsess over pointless things now. I'm more awake and have energy. No more depression or anxiety. 20 mg right away, I love it. Its never disappointed me.

April 9, 2015 8:40 PM

Review by Callieee:

For Anxiety: I had crippling anxiety for about a decade (childhood to early twenties). Panic attacks, social anxiety, and "generalized anxiety" were some of the titles I had gotten. Bottom line I couldn't interact with others, perform simple tasks, speak in public, make eye contact, the list goes on. I had HORRIBLE anxiety panic and depression for years. I developed a pretty serious drinking problem because I was not being treated for anxiety! I was suicidal and finally sought help. Lexapro 10mg at first. I didn't feel different the first month or so. You need to give Lexapro time! I am 100% a different person. People think I am calm, confident, and put together. I feel no panic. No irrational anxiety. It saved my life.

April 7, 2015 10:43 PM

For Anxiety: Lexapro made everything worse for me. Had horrible side effects! Teeth clinching, headaches, zombie like, no energy, insomnia and horrible nightmares. Had to stop after 3 days.

April 3, 2015 5:13 PM

Review by mC1234:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now and I notice an immediate change. I suffered from bad anxiety attacks where I would have them two or three times a night. I was miserable by the time I got prescribed Lexapro. My doctor initially prescribed me Xanax to get me through until my antidepressants start working because they don't have that initial "kick" like Xanax has. I was happy that I had the Lexapro to help me with my depression, and more so anxiety. The only side effects I have noticed is weight gain and lowered sex drive. I think those are nothing compared to feeling depressed. I would recommend this antidepressant.

March 22, 2015 1:52 AM

Review by Jaime-lee:

For Anxiety: Hi started this medication Cipro 2.5 years ago only 5mg. I had side effects to start including joint pain, Brain zaps, dizziness but it passed after 4-7 days and I have been back to myself working a full time job, driving again and living my life. Recommend it for sure.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2015 8:09 PM

Review by SAVED MY LIFE:

For Anxiety: Within a week I felt an immediate change. I no longer obsess over tiny little details or let opportunities pass me by because of my anxiety. I feel like a normal person. Give it a chance!!!

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2015 2:08 AM

Review by dorihe (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I am a Flight Attendant for a major airline. I went into the Flight Deck where the Captain and the First Officer sit 6 years ago and my anxiety developed from one major panic attack after another. I tried everything and I was a biggest advocate for NOT taking medicine. After a 6 year battle I started seeing a doctor of Psychology and a doctor of Psychiatry. Both advised I take Lexapro. I started taking 5 mg for a month then upped to 10 mg a month and then my doctor upped me to 20 mg per day. I have been battling going to work for six years because of Anticipatory Anxiety on an airplane. I am happy to say that I am now back to work and doing things I never thought in my mind that I could ever do. Give Lexapro a chance, its worked!

February 24, 2015 10:22 PM

For Depression: I take 10 mg daily. Started two weeks ago. I was on Zoloft for 3 years prior. The side effects are not as bad as Zoloft. I am still waiting for the full effects since my body is still not used to this medicine. It helps with my depression so far.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2015 5:37 PM

Review by 1wolfee:

For Depression: Lexapro had no effect on me. I took it for 6 mos and I felt the same as I did when I started taking it.... Did not help me feel better.

February 17, 2015 10:03 PM

Review by Eutuxia:

For Depression: I was prescribed Lexapro for Depression, 10mg/day. I have been suffering from depression for nearly 2 years now, and I finally forced myself to seek medical help. I'm only on day 3, but I can honestly notice a slight positive change already. Day 1 & 2 have been a bit difficult; uncontrollable yawning, fatigued and a bit nauseated. But today, day 3, it feels like a light switched on in my brain! That light is at the end of the tunnel, meaning I have to give a little more time. If you are truly depressed, this medicine will help you.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2015 6:37 PM

Review by Beezy9913:

For Anxiety: I had severe panic attacks for 6 months! I developed derealization and was scared of everything. I felt like I was living in a nightmare. I felt relief from Lexapro immediately. I was foggy headed at first but that went away. I feel amazing after 2 months of taking it. I feel like my old self again. The only side effect is dizziness at night sometimes. I only take 5 mg.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 5:47 PM

Review by SparkleSwirl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: (From a teen's point of view. I am currently 14) I developed severe Emetophobia at age 6 and then after 7 years of panic attacks and anxiety, at age 13 i got to the point where I was laying in bed for hours all day everyday begging my mom for a new type of medicine (I had previously been taking Mirtazipine for 5 years and it seemed to stop working) so I got prescribed with 5mg Lexapro (liquid form) at 10 ml a day. It worked very quickly and I began to feel normal again. I was able to actually leave the house again without panicking and my anxiety decreased dramatically. It changed my life so much and has made me a lot less anxious. I didn't experience any side effects except for suicidal thoughts. those lasted for a few months.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2015 3:34 AM

Review by lilybrooke95 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: When I first started taking Lexapro it made my depression even more severe. Then after being on it for several weeks I became a zombie. No, I wasn't depressed anymore but I couldn't feel happy either. And it also made my night terrors much worse.

February 11, 2015 5:45 PM

Review by RoadWearier (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: On Lexapro 14 months now. I almost never want Xanax anymore, and I am sleeping better than I have since I was a teenager (I am 46). Two negative results: sex drive has decreased markedly, and I've had a 10% weight gain. But even with these two factors, I would never consider going back to the person I was before Lexapro.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2015 11:12 AM

Review by fee85 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have always experienced small bouts of anxiety and depression before but nothing that ever really stuck around. A few months ago something caused me to become anxious, which lead to a panic attack which then lead to depression, and no matter what I did I just couldn't shake it. I couldn't eat, sleep, no desire to do anything, always anxious. I went to my doctor who put me on Lexapro. It immediately helped with my anxiety, and within a few days my depression lifted. I have now been on Lexapro for over 2 months and feel back to my normal self. Initial side effects: Very sleepy for about 3 days, nausea for a couple of nights. I still experience: Vivid dreams and low sex drive. I never experienced: Weight gain or insomnia. Overall very happy.

February 6, 2015 8:56 AM

Review by Meghan2015:

For Depression: Saved me for the first six years I was on it. Unfortunately as with many SSRI's it will lose its great qualities after time. You can go above 20 mgs but its not recommended. I am adding Lithium to try to get it working again.

January 29, 2015 7:12 PM