User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 101 reviews 6 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 666 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

Review by Hman2552 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: During a recent stretch of terrible anxiety which crept up very slowly, I suddenly became incapacitated. I was in fear of everything and I couldn't function- AT ALL. I went to my doctor and explained the symptoms and he recommended Lexapro 10 mg. with Klonopin .5 mg. as needed. I took both medications and the Klonopin erased all the startup side effects of the Lexapro such as increased nervousness, insomnia, and poor appetite. As soon as the Lexapro kicked in, ( about three weeks) I was able to step off the Klonopin and have felt great ever since. Anxiety has been wiped out and sleep has improved. I feel 100% better. Don't give up, this medication WORKS !!

December 19, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by Jen3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It made me sick and severely depressed. I was waking up everyday with suicidal thoughts. It was awful

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was so tired on this medication, I don't think I gave it long enough to work before I switched to something else.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by thebigirish1126 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Best medication ever. It takes a bit to kick in but once it does ....amazing. I am on my way to getting my life back. Don't get discouraged it works. I was in my sixth week before i felt it and my doctor increased me to 20 mg and things are going great.

November 25, 2014 9:28 PM

Review by BebeCosette (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I waited 2 months to write this because I was convinced it wouldn't work for me. Lexapro WORKS. Stick it out before giving up. I got much worse before I got better. I started at 10 mg and am now at 20 mg. In the beginning, my anxiety and obsessive thoughts got a lot worse, and when I increased my dose it spiked up again. But it finally passed and the difference is huge. I feel like me again, but me without crippling anxiety and constant obsessive thoughts. My periods do make it worse. My side effects of dry mouth, constipation, sleeplessness, heavy sweating all are gone now. And NO sexual issues for me. Oh, and don't be scared of the generic - that's what I take. Hang in there and give it time!

November 23, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by katzy (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This has helped me so much! I was prescribed this for my anxiety but also have a history of depression. The first day on this I noticed a huge difference. I went from having anxiety attacks 5 times a day to basically none. I'm so happy I got lucky with my first try at any antidepressant. This really is great.

November 18, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by Tsrm (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Out of nowhere, due to what they think is genetics, I got hit with depression, anxiety, and a form of OCD in my early twenties. The Lexapro was a life saver. Although, I still have negative thoughts on a daily basis, I'm able to cope, and I'm not miserable like I was. However, there is one common downside to this medicine that has left me terribly upset and frustrated. I've been on Lexapro for a year and a half now and have put on about 20 lbs. I work out almost every day and eat right for the most part. I have not shed a pound. I've never been this big before and to me, I feel as though Lexapro isn't worth it anymore. I'm weening off of it with my doctor's help, and am going to try and cope with my issues with different methods.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 7:13 PM

Review by lolly pop (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: Made me worse. I felt worse on this than when I started. I gained bad anxiety as a side affect.

November 16, 2014 3:52 PM

Review by Survivorofdeath:

For Depression: Worked amazing and turned my life around for 1-4 months then I got bad again and now I'm on something else, but Lexapro does effect my weight but I felt so amazing for 3 months and that was more important to me at the time.

November 15, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by Z0RN (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I'm 22 years old and have suffered from post traumatic stress disorder/ depression since I was a youngster stemming from childhood sexual abuse. This medicine has saved my life, it took about a month/ month and a half to kick in, but when it did it really eased my symptoms. I did experience some mild side effects in the beginning, but they all went away except for some loss of libido and delayed ejaculation. Overall, I would recommend this medicine to someone who is in a similar situation as I found myself in.

November 14, 2014 4:51 PM

Review by Lifeguard (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I'm on week 1 5mg. It gave my life back. On day 7 my anxiety is like non existence. Giving it a 9 since I might not have reached the therapeutic level yet.

November 14, 2014 1:53 AM

Review by LifeLongSufferer (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Two weeks ago I began taking Lexapro and it is nothing short of a miracle. Although I was told it would take up to three weeks to work, I experienced relief almost immediately, within days. Prior to taking Lexapro, I was having suicidal thoughts nearly every day. My depression was so severe that it would wake me in the middle of the night, like a sharp pain or intense nausea. I would then lay awake. Since I started Lexapro, I haven't had any abnormal levels of anxiety or depression and I haven't had any suicidal thoughts. Side Effects: sleepy (take at night), mild nausea, extremely (almost too) mellow.

November 13, 2014 1:56 PM

Review by prolexa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Delighted. Years of severe anxiety and depression resulting from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, culminating in total debilitation. Unable to work for 12 months and social withdrawal. Started on 5 mg...then up to 10 mg....on 15 mg now and in a week up to 20mg. Apart from sleep still evading me and quite profound sleepiness for the first few days, Lexapro is a Godsend. The fog is clearing, anxiety almost non existent...yay! Still slightly unmotivated but getting better every day! Works for me!

November 8, 2014 8:28 AM

Review by Avyanna S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: My Anxiety symptoms before Lexapro I was always paranoid of people judging me and just wasn't myself because I always felt panicked. I would socially isolate myself from friends and family, which then drove me into depression. My anxiety inhibited myself from learning and grasping new knowledge because I was too anxious to even learn. Even doing the smallest tasks (paying bills) would cause an overwhelming amount of anxiety. Now (after 4 weeks on 10 mg) - I'm mellow, feel confident. Someone I just met pegged me as an intellect! God knows how long anxiety has made me doubt my intelligence. I'm able to do tasks easier, which has reduced my procrastination. It hasn't completely reduced my depression, but Im thinking of trying 20 mg.

November 4, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by avm:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Rating - 10 -11 Very good and very effective. Taking Lexapro since 2009. Few problems. Have a very serious depression/minor schizo-psychosis problem. Took generic and am taking Lexapro again. Had a few problems with generic. Don't have same calm reaction with generic. Lexapro puts me in a good mood most of the time. Feeling of equilibrium mentally. Am happier/relaxed/calmer. Does make me very sleepy/drowsy, & a few other minor side effects. Only antidepressant I have had few problems with. Able to be more relaxed. Can fall asleep in a matter of minutes instead of hours. Have had a very good experience with it. Trying to get insurance to pay for it.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2014 11:01 AM

Review by Anxious College Student:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Over the summer, I experienced my first panic attack leading to a string of additional panic attacks that followed. Subsequently, I was so overly focused on all the tics and aspects of my body, I was unable to focus or leave the house. I was getting panic attacks nearly on the daily, and had a terrible experience with the medication Viibryd, which gave me serotonin syndrome and left me awake for five straight days. Lexapro gave me my life back. It took about 4 weeks to start to really help, and 2 months to work in full strength. It allowed me for the first time in years to truly be happy, and deal with the problems of life. For those of you who just started this medicine, give it a chance because the side effects at first are very tough.

October 26, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by ContessSpider:

For Anxiety: Before taking Lexapro I would be very uncomfortable around people and I would become depressed because I continued to deal with mild obsessive compulsive disorder. My job is also very stressful as I am a manager at an entertainment business and would obsess over my job so I would not miss any details. I had no time for life outside of work because I would obsess over my job and "worse case scenario". I am a 26 year old and when I was younger, around 17, doctors would treat me with all types of depressive medications. With negative outcomes, I decided young that I would not take any more medications and "toughen" it out. NOW with events leading up to me taking Lexapro, I am a new person and I don't worry about little things any more. The OCD is GONE!

October 24, 2014 11:17 AM

Review by Bethkk (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Was on Lexapro for over 5 years for depression. I could definitely notice a difference for the better. Was no longer suicidal and could work and function on a daily basis again. But still think I could have been happier than I was. The only side effect was loss of libido.

October 22, 2014 6:49 AM

Review by collegegirl1542 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Before Lexapro, my anxiety would take over my life. I would worry too much about little things and had trouble remaining calm in social situations. I had trouble sleeping and would feel sick to my stomach from all the anxiety I would get. Lexapro helped all of these symptoms for me! I am only 21 years old but I feel like it changed my whole outlook on life, and I can handle it much easier now. Little things don't get to me, and I tend to live for the moment instead of worrying about tomorrow. I feel like myself again and that I am in control, and my thoughts no longer control me. I recommend this for anxiety, or anxiety that can lead to depression. It took about a month to completely work for me, so be paitent!

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 8:56 PM

Review by Melsss:

For Depression: I am a 18 yo girl and diagnosed for depression. My 1st week with 10 mg Lexapro is beyond horrible: depression got worse, heart racing, sharpened negative thoughts, and no motivation at all when wake up in the morning. I cant concentrate and feel as if I wanna cry most of the time. It lingers till evening and tapers off toward night. At night, I feel euphoric. No problem with sleeping and weight gain. But since my depression got worse, doctor decided to double my dose to 20 mg. 2nd week was even worse: nightmare every night, fatigue, lethargic, gases in stomach. In 3rd week, it finally helps!! Negative thoughts went away and I feel lightheaded. Side effect: emotion numbness, sleepy, lazy. But overall this medicine is a true miracle.

October 18, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by undefeated:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I started having severe panic/anxiety attacks a few years ago after a traumatic experience. I used to have anxiety all day everyday. I lost weight, couldn't eat, sleep and became literally afraid of everything! I tried other meds and was frustrated after repeated failed attempts. Finally I went to see a new Doctor who convinced me to try LEXAPRO. I was skeptic at first. After a few days I noticed a major difference! I was more relaxed and felt like my old self again. There wasn't any major side effects only during the first two weeks I felt really tired but calm. But that went away after a few weeks. I continued the medication and now I can honestly say I have my life back! I gained a little weight but I manage with exercise. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

October 18, 2014 9:27 PM

Review by melanie :) (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Before I took this medication, I had severe social anxiety. I would often stay silent because of hurting someone's feelings or I was afraid of embarassment. I constantly worried about what people thought of me. It was ruining my life. My doctor started me on Paxil but I couldnt take the physical symptoms. When I started taking Lexapro it felt like a huge weight was taken off of my shoulders. I could be myself again! I usually take it at night because it makes me a little drowsy. Months later, I got a job working for a school near me as a bus monitor. I ride the preschool and high school buses to maintain safety and prevent bullying. Without Lexapro, I DEFINITELY would have not been able to be in that position before.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Anonymous7 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I began feeling very anxious and getting anxiety attacks almost every morning. This went on for months and finally I told my doctor. She gave me a low dose of Xanax and it helped a bit but once it wore off, I had to take more since my anxiety returned. I asked my doctor to put me on Lexapro and I swear, it started to work almost immediately! I have been on it two weeks now and I've only had one minor anxiety attack, and every day I'm feeling a little better. I'm already feeling much calmer and more peaceful and I only take 5mg at night. My sleep is better too! The only side effects were nausea, and diarrhea (which are subsiding) and weight loss (which I don't mind). I'm feeling so much more hopeful now, and I had almost lost hope.

October 14, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by don'tneedausername (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I suffered from moderate depression and severe anxiety most of my life. As a child, I couldn't cope with being bullied, as I turned into a teen severe anxiety took over which worsened in my twenties and peaked in my thirties (now.) After getting the shakes frequently, bursts of unexplained rage (with no outlet), panic attacks and severe discomfort in social situations worsening, I finally saw a Dr who diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder and put me on 10mg at first and now I'm on 20mg. I cannot stress enough how much Lexapro has helped me. Its like a magical pill that has made my life worth living again. The anxiety that once plagued me has all but disappeared, and my depression has decreased to a point where I can manage it. No side effects noted.

October 14, 2014 12:09 AM

Review by Elviseat:

For Anxiety: My experience thus far on this mediicne is absolutely life changing. I have never taken any form of medication in my life bar antibiotics on a couple of occasions, however when anxiety hit me out of nowhere I thought I was losing my mind. I could not think or function. I didn't have the strength to stomach food and was afraid all the time. I could not work and thought that living was becoming impossible. As a result of this I became depressed and the vicious cycle continued. I thought I would never escape this feeling. It all became too much for me after about a month and I went to my doctor a blithering mess. He prescribed me 10mg Lexapro and I regained my life. 14 days later I am back to normal and happy smiling. Get your life back.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2014 4:23 AM