User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 177 reviews 7 medications

Depression 339 reviews 77 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 905 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Lexapro

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This is the most amazing medication in the entire world! I remember back when I first was prescribed it I had so much anxiety that driving home to and from work would consume my thoughts and everything was such a big deal. I feel as though I am able to focus on positive things and do not worry all the time! This medication truly is a life changer! 10/10"

DianaSS February 2, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was suffering with panic disorder with agoraphobia for 10 years. It started off pretty innocuous, a few trips to the ER, calling out of work... As my symptoms got worse I became more and more housebound. Going ANYWHERE, even a trip to the supermarket was miserable.I couldnt take my kids to the park.I had to quit my job because of the distance and panic attacks. I loved to travel but I could no longer get on a plane, forget getting to the airport. I literally tried everything. Finally I cracked. my doc prescribed me lexapro. I was so scared but so desperate. It has completely given me my life back. Slowly, surely, persistently I began to drive again. 2 years later I am me again. Fight through the side effects. Don't waste your life."

snjhytrwjxkakf (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2016

For Anxiety "Stay away from this drug! Or at least if you have had my experience. My side effects was that I had very painful armpit boils. Never before in my life had I had them. I researched signs and symptoms online, and found Lexapro could cause them. I stopped taking Lexapro, and haven't experienced anymore. I would get one or two boils a week. They left ugly, permanent scars. Although, I've found possible laser treatment may remove scars."

Cindy_nurse January 29, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on 10mg of Lexapro (generic version) since 2012. It has helped me a great deal. I was prescribed the med for generalized anxiety which used to impair my ability to function - I could not sleep at all, extended period of sleep deprivation would trigger depression which was hell. I experienced panic attacks just as I would start to fall asleep; it would jolt me up and never able to fall back to sleep. I could not eat and lost a lot of weight. I got a very good doctor and he prescribed a sleeping aid with lexapro until lexapro's anti-anxiety effects kicked it. I took the sleeping aid for about 5-6 weeks until I started to sleep 4-5 hours. One big adverse side effect is weight gain.gained 25 pounds in 3 years."

BugMeNot2222 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2016

For Anxiety "I am a 24y/o female. I've been taking Lexapro 10mg for almost 4 months now and I can confidently say the only scary thing about this medication is people's negative reviews on it. First and foremost EVERYONE is different, so everyone will react to it differently. I was prescribed it by my primary Doctor due to my severe anxiety and mild depression. Before this medication I was prescribed Celexa, but hated it. My anxiety and depression got so much worse I decided to do something about it. It came to the point where my anxiety and depression affected everyone around me and I just wasn't happy anymore. At first taking this medication gave me some side affects. My side effects were really dry mouth, some intense dreams, and some loss of appetite. The only thing that has stuck for these few months have been the dreams. They seems SO REAL! But I can say I rather have some dreams than those scary anxiety attacks I use to get, and those depressed bed sobs. Lexapro has changed my life! Before this medication my life was hitting rock bottom. My Anxiety was so severe it took over my life. I obsessed over everything, overthought everything, felt like at any moment I was going to die. I was on edge every second. My blood pressure was always high and I'm only 24! I had this obsession of dying in a car accident, it came to a point I couldnt ride in a car with anyone else unless I was driving. If I did I would get panic attacks. My depression was also bad and also had an eating disorder. I felt like I was never going to be happy. Was never going to be happy in a relationship, or in my job, or even be able to hug my own mother again. I'm happy the people in my life noticed how much my disorders were taking over my life and helped me make a change. Lexapro helped my life. I hope my review will change yours."

Kimmybabyy1991 January 22, 2016

For Depression "I took many SSRI medications in the past for anxiety/depression but was unable to handle all the negative side effects. I've spent the last 3 years dealing with daily fatigue to the point of just feeling sick every day, so work and bed became my home. I couldn't find the energy to go shop, visit my son, be with friends, attend church, I just felt SICK .Daily crying spells every morning and an awful pain on the inside I can't describe. I didn't know what was wrong with me but I knew it wasn't normal and was only getting worse.!!!! ....Dr gave me 10 mg. Of LEXAPRO ..first pill very sick but have been on it 4 weeks now. Thank goodness FOR THIS MEDICATION!!!!! It took several weeks but as weeks go by I feel even better !!!! :))))"

Kgregory47 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2016

For Anxiety "I took this for several years. I would occasionally switch to something else, but I always came back to it. While effective, it caused me to gain a lot of weight."

Miss Mel (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2016

For Anxiety "I was prescribed this drug for occasional anxiety issues, related to pressure at work. I took it during an extremely stressful time where I experienced extraordinary anxiety. The first day it helped me quite a lot, by taking away the negative feeling in my chest and making me more relaxed and social. Later in the day, it made me very awake, without impairing my sleep. I took it for another 4-5 days every day in 2.5-10mg to try with different dosage. The positive impact faded and I got serious problems with side effects. I could hardly sleep any longer and the combination with diphenhydramin (sleeping pill) made it even worse, by excessively reducing my heart rate and respiratory condition. The last 2 days i hardly slept, due to 'hypnic jerks"

avalokiteshwara (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

For Anxiety "Bad experience. Bad sleep."

Bert34 January 16, 2016

For Anxiety "Have been on Lexapro for two years now. First weeks were truly horrible and took 6-8 weeks for full effect. But hang in there! My life is finally anxiety free and I enjoy the smallest things. I see now how much place and energy the anxiety took before. Not anymore. No side effects. Take it at night to avoid sexual side effects. (Had them when I took Lex in the morning.)"

Karen35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My doctor has been wanting me to go on Lexapro for over a year for severe GAD. But I had so much anxiety about going on it I wouldn't start it. I've been taking Buproprion & Topamax for depression & anxiety for years but it has worn off. I was to the point that thought I was always dying - and always felt sick. My regular doctor said get on Lexapro it's all stress related - there is nothing physically wrong with you. I've had anxiety my whole life and I'm 57. I have been in several abusive relationships. I haven't been in any in almost 20 years but the anxiety hasn't gone away. The first week I had a little upset stomach but nothing after that no side affects at all and now I'm calm for the first time in my life!!"

Snowy58 (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on Lexapro 5mg (yes that's it) for over 3 months now and I'm ready to throw in the towel. First, let me say my anxiety has been greatly reduced. But at what cost? I am a zombie-I have no motivation to do anything and I'm always in a foggy state. My performance at work has greatly suffered, along with my cognitive ability. Social anxiety has gotten worse only because I'm a recluse - just too tired and unmotivated to interact with people! Frequent and strong anhedonia. I wouldn't advise you not to try lexapro- it is well regarded and often effective. But be cautious as doctors don't get that there are side effects to this besides sexual ones. I felt the same after one week as I do now but I was continually told it would go away"

TMS2803 January 10, 2016

For Depression "I am in college and finally started to get help for my depression and anxiety. My counsellor sent me right to the health center when I told her my symptoms because they were both so bad. I was severely depressed, suicidal, and had severe anxiety. They put me on lexapro for the quick results. I took it the next morning and was taken to the hospital by ambulance in the middle of class because of a severe anxiety attack. I had never had one before and it was terrifying. I do not blame this medicine but don't be afraid of something that may take longer. Lexapro just didn't work for me. I now take Zoloft and have no problems. Just be cautious."

AsM08 (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2016

For Depression "I went to my OB GYN to ask about Lexapro for some major depression & anxiety I was experiencing. Lexapro had worked quite well for a friend of mine. I had previously taken Zoloft a few years prior & it made my post-partum depression worse. I had great hopes for this drug, but it unfortunately did NOT work well for me. I felt like a zombie. I believe it gave me psychosis. I also experienced my first panic attack after being on 10 MG for 3 days. I then took 5 MG for two more days and stopped taking it all together. Still 3 months after stopping I am having panic attacks with some psychotic features. I've pulled myself out of that deep depression though. Still have bad days occasionally, but I'm only taking Xanax as needed."

Landonsmommy1014 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2016

For Anxiety "My 15 yr old daughter has multiple diagnoses. ODD. ADD. Anxiety and Depression. We have used several different meds over the last few months to aid with behavioral issues like constant anger and opposition with occasional explosive outbursts of anger and focus & concentration in school. She has been on 10 mg Lexapro daily for a little over a week and I can see a huge difference in her already. I feel like I have my daughter back. We can have a conversation without an argument. She seems so much more peaceful and generally happy. I see so much of a difference, I don't think she even needs the Daytrana patch for ADD now. Other meds we have tried are Effexor, Concerta, Adderall, & Stratera."

MotherOfAnxiety January 1, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was put on Lexapro by my family doctor in May after experiencing chest pain and elevated blood pressure. Test were done to make sure I wasn't experiencing a heart attack before my doctor determined that stress was my issue. For the first several weeks I had increased anxiety, loss of appetite and vivid dreams. I was quite sure this medicine wasn't for me. My doctor encouraged me to keep taking it and prescribed Ativan to help me get through some rough days. After being on Lexapro for 8 months now, I can honestly say I feel better than I have for years! I had no idea how much anxiety I had until it went away. I'm so thankful for this medicine and for my doctor who encouraged me to try it."

Jilly01 December 31, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I am 49 1/2 and today I can tell you I am happy, positive and full of hope. I am on 10mg of Lexapro just finishing up my 8th week. I also have Ativan for emergencies and I still need Ambein to sleep. Before taking Lexapro I was always anxious and easily overwhelmed. Then I had too many thing happen in a short time period that caused me to have a melt down. Three trips to the ER with one of them a short stay in a Unit after Celexa caused me to have suicidal thoughts. I was constantly worrying about everything. I couldn't eat, sleep but with Lexapro my appetite came back in just the first 3 days. I was very scared to try another drug after Celexa, but I can't tell you how happy I am to be back better then new. Take a chance."

Thereishopeagain:) (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2015

For Depression "I was very skeptical about going on medication and I was really against it but after a big breakdown and not seeing the light, I took lexopro. I kept reading the reviews daily for hope as it took along time for the medication to kick in. Please give it 8 to 10 weeks! Now thoughts that would upset me just don't. It helps to lift the heavy fog and help you to live a normal life again. I still have anxiety at times but I am slowly increasing and it is helping. Thank you lexopro you really are a miracle. Dont give up guys!"

Aussiegirl9 December 28, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was prescribed lexapro for severe generalised anxiety and moderate depression (the depression was a result of the anxiety). I'm on day 16. I experienced some mild nausea and increased anxiety for the first 2 days, and headaches for about 5 days, but after day 5 the only remaining side effects are being jittery on and off, and a feeling of tightness in my chest at times. I started feeling decreased anxiety from day 3, and by day 7 the anxiety was significantly less. The depression got better from about day 5. Overall, at day 16, I feel significantly better and am living my life as I used to, for the most part."

Liz S December 28, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Like many others have written, this drug has dramatically improved my quality of life. I have been taking it for about 1 year and have been too busy feeling good to write a review. Before: I was plagued with extreme panic, afraid to be alone, afraid to take a shower, constantly worrying, "what if" scenarios, thought I would have to quit my job, lost weight because of NO appetite. Now: all I can say is pretty much living like a normal person! I do feel anxious at times, but I didn't want to turn into a robot w no feelings! I am thriving at work, socially have made new friends, can concentrate so well (this might be my favorite part), no sexual side effects whatsoever, weight maintained at a healthy level. 5mg I am so thankful for this drug"

PM12345 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2015

For Anxiety "I have been in a really bad funk for as long as I can remember and have been through a good amount. I won't go into details because its not relevant. Also felt like my brain was foggy and mind constantly racing. I have social anxiety as well. I am on day two of lexapro and I think it's working already. I feel warm inside, peaceful and am interacting with people so easily. It's strange. I can't explain it bit I feel peaceful, happy and not anxious. I haven't felt this way in a long time. I get drowsy and my eyes get heavy randomly through out the day. I've also started smiling randomly. I know this is sort of vague, I wanted to be straight to the point. I really hope this is it and I have found the right medicine and hope this lasts!"

SWDup December 23, 2015

For Anxiety "I have been on a few other anti-anxiety meds over the past decade. The last one I was on was an absolute nightmare, so I vowed to NEVER take meds again. Since then, I tried natural remedies, exercise etc. to combat this constant agitation and anxiety I have been feeling. I couldn't really be in the moment and enjoy. I've been on 10 mg. of Lexapro for over 2 months now and haven't felt this good in a forever (it seems). I feel normal again and I actually want to get out and do things. I see now how severely depressed/anxious I have been for so long. This medication has given me my life back. I have not gained any weight, thus far and have stayed the same. Everyone is different, so I feel very lucky that this is working for me."

Lillakri02 December 21, 2015

For Depression "Very good for GAD mixed with depression. I felt worse for 2 months but then felt amazing :) give it a chance"

Vee88 December 21, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've been taking lexapro for two months now for depression and anxiety. The first 3-4 weeks I took 10mg and I felt amazing. I had loads of energy and actually felt social for once. After those 3-4 weeks however the happy feeling faded and I was plagued with fatigue and unable to get anything done. I couldn't keep my eyes open in class or to study. So I decided to wean off of it and am now taking 5mg every other day. I still get the great feeling for about 20 after taking it, and then I feel fairly, but not as tired as I was on 10mg, and unenthused by anything. I'm not sure if I want to keep taking it or not."

Anonymous December 19, 2015

For Depression "I just got prescribed lexapro today! I've had depression & anxiety for 9 years and I've tried 5 other anti depressants but unfortunately none of worked. I've also tried 3 different psychologists an they didn't really help either! So I am so excited to start lexapro tomorrow! From the reviews it sounds amazing! Also funny this but my friend told me last week about lexapro (she uses it for anxiety) and she said it's been amazing! And now I've been prescribed it! Yay"

EsraD December 19, 2015