User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 140 reviews 7 medications

Depression 314 reviews 76 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 798 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "I encountered a bout of hypochondria when Doctors couldn%u2019t diagnose some pain I was having. Slight worry turned into full-blown panic attacks and daylong anxiety. With anxiety comes a bunch of physical symptoms and I was certain each one of those symptoms was more proof of me having some sort of undiscovered health condition, feeding into the anxiety. My physician suggested I try going on Lexapro for 6 months and I was at the end of my rope so I reluctantly agreed. Side effects were horrible but they went away and within 1 month of my first dose I was completley back to normal. I've now been off it for 6 months and its like my entire episode never happened. Lexapro saved my life."

RustyShackleford August 3, 2015

For Anxiety "I love this medication! I have been on it for about a year and it has made my life so much better. I had been living with severe anxiety and depression. After starting lexapro, I had some side effects such as the weird dreams, nausea, dizziness, and increased anxiety. After 2 weeks, I started to feel so much better! I now have less anxiety and I have not had a panic attack in 6 months! It is amazing how great I feel. Finally, I can live my life like a normal 24 year old! My advice to anyone who is on this medicine is to stay on it! It is worth it!"

Court court August 2, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on lexapro 4 days 5mg and found I have nausea and feel very restless and more anxiety I also have the a strange feeling in my leg not sure whether to keep going with medication. My heart feels like it is racing but that could be from the anxiety. Not sure I can rate this so early in taking it."

GeForce August 1, 2015

For Anxiety "I am 28. I have been on this medicine now for 6 months being treated for sever OCD and anxiety. In 6 months time I have gained 30 ish pounds, my Sex drive is gone, I can not sleep at night (horrible and weird dreams), and I still can not stop thinking of a million and one things before I go to bed (example: I need to make my bed, dishes done, kids set for the next day,) I am tired all the time and I have no energy anymore for anything. I feel like I'm a different person. However I am not as bad with my OCD as I was before taking it, I am actually calm at night rather than worried if something will happen, I am just all around calmer. I am up in the air with this drug because it does seem to work but am I too calm. I am not really myself."

Jessie lynn July 31, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've just started taking Lexapro 10mg 4 days ago. I have the normal headaches, some nausea, but I also feel restlessness. I do not feel like I'm crawling out of my skin, but I feel like I can't sit still and I have some odd pain in my legs. It isn't cramping or sharp pains per say. It almost feels like a warm sensation. I also feel maybe a bit more anxiety as of now. Is the restlessness and feeling in my legs normal. I wouldn't say it is intolerable, just annoying. Should I continue through the first week? I know I can call my doctor and I plan to, but I would like to see if anyone else has experienced these side effects and if they subsided."

HeavybagsAndHope July 28, 2015

For Anxiety "Don't try it, withdrawal is horrible. 5 days, no relief."

Pacing (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I'm in my late twenties and I've been prescribed this medication for social anxiety and depression (I live in Canada). I had been in therapy for almost a year before starting taking it, and also doing yoga and meditation for a couple of years. I had basically tried every herb and supplement for anxiety over the years and was very stressed out and secretly suicidal when I went to my doctor. This medication saved me. At first I couldn't eat for about 10 days, no desire to put food in my dry mouth. I also felt a bit drugged and weird. After 2 weeks on the 10 mg dose I started feeling a lot better, and as the weeks went by my anxiety lowered a whole lot. I finally feel like myself, I can speak my mind and let my personality shine. I feel happy!"

xperfume (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2015

For Depression "At the age of 55, I found the only drug that has worked for me in 35 years, I can't even begin to explain my childhood or experiences thereafter, as soon as I could, I sought medical attention with my limited finances. Before that, all I could do was drink and have a good time. I thank God I finally was given Lexapro, (Escitalopram.) I felt relief immediately, whereas NOTHING else did, and was happy, After all the drugs I tried, I have no side effects with Lexapro. I hope this gives hope to those who have been searching. God bless you above and beyond your dreams. With LOVE."

Carbini (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 23, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was initially put on Lexapro (5mg) at age 14 for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and it helped drastically and I took it for maybe 8 months. After becoming a victim of sexual assault at age 18 and spending five years in legal battles. I was then diagnosed with (in addition to OCD) Generalized Anxiety Disorder, PTSD, and Depression. I was on Celexa for about six months and felt extreme bursts of anger so my doctor had me switch to Lexapro as my body had adapted to it well as a teen. I was placed on 10mg of Lexapro and have been doing amazing for the last year I have taken it. The first month I vomited nearly every day and was unable to drive myself more than 5 minutes but it really was worth the month of struggle."

MilitaryWife (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 22, 2015

For Depression "I seriously used to cry everyday and wonder when my life would change. I felt like I was stuck and had no one to talk to that would understand the way I felt. I used to think of all different ways to end the pain but I knew suicide was not the answer. I felt empty inside and tried everything to make myself feel better. I would turn to food to make myself feel better and I felt I was spiraling out of control. I would isolate myself from everyone. I resulted in cutting myself and I felt a sense of relief. I knew I needed help immediately. I told my doctor everything I was experiencing with tears in my eyes. He prescribed me lexapro and after two weeks I felt like a different person. It made me feel so much better and I could recognize myself."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2015

For Anxiety "I started to get anxiety when I went back to work. I was prescribed lexapro by my doctor and started 3 days ago. A lot of the reviews say to keep sticking with it so I plan too. As far as the side effects, I get the nausea and dizziness but it's not so severe that I can't function. I do however, feel like I'm constantly zoning out and just staring out into space sometimes. I do notice I yawn a lot too and my lower jaw feels really tense all the time. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm going to keep sticking with this drug. There is such good reviews once the side effects subside and your body adjusts to it."

IREJ July 19, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been taking two months now lexapro 10 mg and it helped with the insomnia I had due to anxiety.I was taking ambien for two years, but now with lexapro I didn't need ambien anymore to sleep."

elii July 17, 2015

For Depression "I'm a 21 year old female and have been taking lexapro for only a short while,but I can honestly say that it has been a miracle for me.Ive been treated for depression since I was 13.Ive been on everything,paxil,celexa,wellbutrin,zoloft,ability (taken with paxil) and nothing ever worked. I had been suicidal and had been self harming for as long as I can remember. I also have a crippling anxiety that made social interaction painful and almost unbearable.I had been hosptilized once as a teenager for a suicide attempt..But I got a new doctor recently,and she prescribed lexapro. For the first time in as long as I can remember I feel happy.i can actually sleep and not eaten up by worry or hopeless depression.i finally feel like a human being. :)"

moodybluez93 (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

For Depression "I've been taking Lexapro for almost 6 years now and it has really helped with my depression and anxiety. I first started off with 10mg for about 3 months but didn't notice a huge change in my depression and my anxiety would come and go. After a serious panic attack that hospitalized me for the day my doctor decided to up my dose to 20mg a day. After that I was much happier and less anxious person. My doctor also gave me Xanax for any sudden panic attacks that I do get, but thankfully I haven't had to take it very often (maybe once every 3 months or so). The only side effect I suffered from was drowsiness and it would knock me out at night when I first started. Now in perfectly fine. I'm really glad I started taking this medicine!"

ReaMadison July 10, 2015

For Anxiety "I feel that this medication did decrease my anxiety (I have social anxiety) and made me feel less nervous in a lot more situations. I went on roller coasters and felt nothing for the most part. The only bad thing is that this medicine wrecked my sleeping patterns. I usually will wake up 7-8 hours after I fall asleep, but now I wake up maybe 10-11 hours after. I am sure that would be fine if I were 12, but I am not. I am so used to the way I have slept for so long that it feels pretty horrible to be such a heavy sleeper."

Morgashporg (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

For Anxiety "I started 10mg lexapro 5 days ago for anxiety. I had been free from mirtazapine for about 9 days before starting. At first I though I had a tummy bug and stayed in bed the next day.... 5 days later and I'm still in bed and yesterday spoke with my doc who said to stop taking them. I was a complete nervous wreck... more than I had ever been without meds. Neither of the previous 2 meds (paxtine and mirtazapine) had side effects like this. This med is not for me sadly."

Michdoll73 July 6, 2015

For Anxiety "I started having bad anxiety after I went back to work. I started on lexapro 5mg. I'm glad I stuck with it. Yes the side effects for the first 6 weeks were hell but after week 6 they ALL went away. I had every side effect too. But reading the reviews from people who said to stick it out it's worth it is what kept me going. After week 6 I went up to 10mg and was worried I was going to experience the side effects again. But nope no side effects. My anxiety is gone and I'm coming out of that black hole I was in. So please anyone reading this , yes stick with it! The start up side effects will go away. I had increased anxiety when I first started taking it but that too stopped. I am on the generic as well."

Syd7777 June 30, 2015

For Depression "I've been on Lexapro for about a month and a half now (10/mg). I have not had any differences with my depression or anxiety. In fact my anxiety is still bad. It also makes me crave food that I'm not a huge fan of. Very confusing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Hey guys my name is Daniel and I'm 22 years old. I just want to start of by telling u a little of my 4 years of hell I been through. First of I was 18 when I started having panic attacks for NO reason. One night I just woke up with it and didn't even know what was happening to me, I thought of course I was dying or having a heart attack. Sure enough I was healthy and had all the test ran and of course was dignozed with General Anxiety. Then the fun started, (btw I find it very helpful to talk about these horrible illness in a joking way to teach myself they aren't going to kill me only make life a little more difficult) I had horrible Anxiety attacks and life as I knew it was just impossible."

Hayez93 June 27, 2015

For Anxiety "I've recently suffered a relationship breakdown. My anxiety eventually spiralled out of control to the point I walked out of my job, life & all "responsibilities" to return home like a child. OCD negative thoughts, inability to go 2 days without crying, constant fear of anxiety returning, weight loss and inability to sleep / function basically LIVE!! I was SO scared of the horror stories but at rock bottom there's nowhere but up right? I have been on 5mg for 4 days now. Taking it before bed. First night very nauseous, the next day feeling tired, teary & "distracted". However, I have noticed a general improvement in my mood after 4 days. A good day yesterday and terrible today. BUT! I'm persevering. Thanks all for positive stories. :o)"

JessLala June 21, 2015

For Anxiety "I love lexapro. I started taking it when I was 14 from severe anxiety and OCD. My doctor basically begged my parents to put me on medication because I could not leave the house. I'm now 20 years old and about 6 months ago I thought I no longer needed the lexapro because I was feeling better. WHAT A MISTAKE. After the taper my OCD came back just as bad as it was when I was 14. So my Pdoc put me on prozac. It made me manic. I then tried Brintellix, again it made me crazy. So I went back to the lexapro and yes the start up side effects suck, headache, dizzy (that woosh feeling in you brain), upset stomach and brain fog, and every time I bumped up the dose I had an increase in anxiety, but after 5 weeks I finally have my life back. Stick it out!!!!"

Rachieecakesssss June 20, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "With a rough family life, it's hard to know if this drug is working to its full potential. I've been taking lexepro for almost three months now, and I can hardly tell a difference. I don't really think of suicide anymore, but happy? Is anyone truly happy? Maybe it's just my situation at the moment that brings out my pessimistic side, but I don't feel much different at all."

SteveFrench June 19, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I started on Lexapro about a week ago, and I'll give an update later but so far... WOW! Let me begin by adding that I'm pregnant in my 3rd trimester and I've had PTSD, severe anxiety, and depression for several years now. I heard a lot of warnings about the first few weeks, the side effects that may occur, and might I just say I'm lucky enough to have only one of them. That side effect being dry mouth which only lasts about an hour or 2 after taking it. I take 50mg of Lexapro every night before bed and I feel so much better already. The tension I had previously felt In my chest is gone and I feel like I imagine a normal personal is supposed to feel. I used to be scared to go check my mail, but now I have no problems in public."

KiahL June 15, 2015

For Depression "My Dr. put me on Lexapro 10mg x 1 week then to go to 20mg their after for menopausal symptoms, sweats, insomnia. I am a retired nurse and felt so horrible on the 20mg, nausea, sweats, diarrhea,... I called him and he tapered me to to 10 mg q. H.S. it did the job!!!! so for hell of 12 weeks on the 20mg, dropping to 10 mg has made my life shine!!! Hang in there! SSRI's do have a lot of bad side effects, but ride them out! Life is good!"

lanajean (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This is by far the best med that I have taken for my anxiety!"

Ty-Ty June 9, 2015