Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 113 reviews 6 medications

7.8
Summary of Lexapro reviews 705 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lexapro

Review by mC1234:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now and I notice an immediate change. I suffered from bad anxiety attacks where I would have them two or three times a night. I was miserable by the time I got prescribed Lexapro. My doctor initially prescribed me Xanax to get me through until my antidepressants start working because they don't have that initial "kick" like Xanax has. I was happy that I had the Lexapro to help me with my depression, and more so anxiety. The only side effects I have noticed is weight gain and lowered sex drive. I think those are nothing compared to feeling depressed. I would recommend this antidepressant.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2015 1:52 AM

Review by SAVED MY LIFE:

For Anxiety: Within a week I felt an immediate change. I no longer obsess over tiny little details or let opportunities pass me by because of my anxiety. I feel like a normal person. Give it a chance!!!

March 9, 2015 2:08 AM

For Depression: I take 10 mg daily. Started two weeks ago. I was on Zoloft for 3 years prior. The side effects are not as bad as Zoloft. I am still waiting for the full effects since my body is still not used to this medicine. It helps with my depression so far.

February 22, 2015 5:37 PM

Review by 1wolfee:

For Depression: Lexapro had no effect on me. I took it for 6 mos and I felt the same as I did when I started taking it.... Did not help me feel better.

February 17, 2015 10:03 PM

Review by Eutuxia:

For Depression: I was prescribed Lexapro for Depression, 10mg/day. I have been suffering from depression for nearly 2 years now, and I finally forced myself to seek medical help. I'm only on day 3, but I can honestly notice a slight positive change already. Day 1 & 2 have been a bit difficult; uncontrollable yawning, fatigued and a bit nauseated. But today, day 3, it feels like a light switched on in my brain! That light is at the end of the tunnel, meaning I have to give a little more time. If you are truly depressed, this medicine will help you.

February 17, 2015 6:37 PM

Review by Beezy9913:

For Anxiety: I had severe panic attacks for 6 months! I developed derealization and was scared of everything. I felt like I was living in a nightmare. I felt relief from Lexapro immediately. I was foggy headed at first but that went away. I feel amazing after 2 months of taking it. I feel like my old self again. The only side effect is dizziness at night sometimes. I only take 5 mg.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 5:47 PM

Review by lilybrooke95 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: When I first started taking Lexapro it made my depression even more severe. Then after being on it for several weeks I became a zombie. No, I wasn't depressed anymore but I couldn't feel happy either. And it also made my night terrors much worse.

February 11, 2015 5:45 PM

Review by RoadWearier (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: On Lexapro 14 months now. I almost never want Xanax anymore, and I am sleeping better than I have since I was a teenager (I am 46). Two negative results: sex drive has decreased markedly, and I've had a 10% weight gain. But even with these two factors, I would never consider going back to the person I was before Lexapro.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2015 11:12 AM

Review by Meghan2015:

For Depression: Saved me for the first six years I was on it. Unfortunately as with many SSRI's it will lose its great qualities after time. You can go above 20 mgs but its not recommended. I am adding Lithium to try to get it working again.

January 29, 2015 7:12 PM

Review by Katmaryland:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've been on this about 6 months. I'm much more settled, less jumpy, way less anxious, and I've got my sense of silliness back. Yay! I have maintained my sexual interest and ability to orgasm, which is a relief. Prozac left me feeling way more anxious (and completely inorgasmic), Vibryd made me feel like jumping out of my skin and messed up my sleep for months. So... I will definitely stay on Lexapro. One note. It did make me sleepy during the day at first. I now take it at night.

January 29, 2015 9:53 AM

Review by Billh1971 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was on Celexa 20mg for a full year due to anxiety and panic attacks. The medicine was working great. I had to switch doctors and my new one suggested to a try Lexapro. She said its a cleaner and better medicine then Celexa. I said ok I'll try it. It's been two week and no side effects at all. It's been great. I'm glad I switched. I'm taking 10mg of Lexapro now which is the same as 20mg Celexa.

January 28, 2015 1:09 PM

For Depression: I just started Lexapro yesterday. It knocked me out. I also take 4mg of Klonopin everyday. Your input is encouraging. Thank you. I've tried Depakote and lithium. Hated how they make me feel. I'm also underweight so gaining is a plus.

January 23, 2015 9:42 AM

Review by Marathon01:

For Anxiety: It is great to read all your different experiences with Escitalopram and it gives me hope that a lot of you have been able to benefit from this. I am only on Day 3 with 10 mg Escitalopram (1st time on AD) and I really hope this will reducere my SA and GAD after 10 years of suffering

January 23, 2015 5:00 AM

Review by hcg90:

For Anxiety: Taking Lexapro was the best decision I've ever made!! I've struggled with anxiety and depression since I was a kid. I had never taken any medications for it until I was 24. The anxiety had taken over my life, I could barely go to work and I was up for most of my nights because my mind would be going 100 miles an hour and I couldn't get my mind to stop racing. I had a lot of social anxiety. Every single little thing would seem like such a huge task or issue. I felt completely exhausted all the time, all I wanted to do was sleep. After about 4 months of being it Lexapro I can finally say I am the happiest I've ever been! I've even started college which is something I thought I would never have the courage to do.

149 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2015 7:38 PM

Review by extrAorindary (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Before Lexapro I was extremely stressed out for at least a year before taking it. Everything my boyfriend would do would cause me to snap. I would snap on family members constantly as well. If they were chewing too loud, whistling, or looking at me, I would flip out and yell. No lie here...within 2 days I had noticed a day and night difference. My boyfriend absolutely adores me now. I love who I am and I can't imagine life the way it was before. This medicine was/is a miracle to me. The only side effect I had was yawning often the first two days, but that went away. I love living life now and enjoy myself. I can't express enough how much it has helped. My life has taken an absolute 180!

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 11:24 PM

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This medication is fantastic. I was suffering from some major anxiety for years and this has taken a huge burden off me. There are still an occasional surge of anxiety but its an anomaly now where it used to be the norm for me. For those bad times I'll take Ativan and the combination between the two work awesome. I only take about 4 Ativan a month, the rest of the time Lexapro does the job. And I sleep SO much better.

January 12, 2015 3:24 PM

Review by katiecatherine (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: 8 years ago I had my 3rd child, a healthy baby girl, and suffered from horrible postpartum depression. My OBGYN put me on 10 mg Lexapro and after a few more terrible days and a trip to the ER I ended up in a psychiatrist office. He added mirtazapine to help me eat and sleep and in 2 weeks I was much better. I was able to stop the mirtazapine and took the Lexapro for a full year. I am so grateful to those 2 Dr's who helped me crawl out off a very dark hole. A month ago I fell back in and my anxiety kicked into high gear. I was barely functioning. After 2 weeks my psychologist put me back on 10 Mg Escitalopram. I am entering my 3rd week and feel much better. This medicine has been wonderful. Prayer medicine talk therapy.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 1:06 PM

Review by Bowj:

For Depression: I was tired all the time. Everything stressed me out. I was very negative. I found fault in most things. I was irritable most of the time. My thoughts raced with negativity most of the time. I withdrew socially a lot because other people upset me most of the time. I lacked compassion for other people most of the time. I felt like life was worthless. Lots of trouble concentrating at work. Trouble sleeping. More depressed in winter time. These problems progressively got worse as I got older. The doctor gave me Lexapro. I noticed some changes the 1st day I took the medicines but it took a little over 4 months to take it's full effect on me. I'm almost exactly opposite of who I used to be now. Lexapro changed my life.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 6:48 AM

Review by Astrophysic (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I started taking 20mgs of Lexapro every day 3 months ago. I have experienced the sexual side effects and lethargy associated with it, but it has served as a good mood stabilizer. In fact, it actually helped me to quit drinking. I had developed a daily routine with alcohol and had trouble stopping cold turkey. I needed something. I let the Lexapro work and after two weeks I lost my craving. That isn't to say it cures alcoholism or depression, but it's been just the assist I needed. I combine my medication with some therapy and self-help audio books. I'm in a much better place now than ever before. I strongly encourage anyone to give the medicine a chance to work.

January 11, 2015 7:29 PM

Review by HKJ:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I wanted to share my experience because when I first started taking Lexapro I read these boards daily searching for hope. I have always had anxiety but it was not until this summer that I started experiencing physical symptoms, I was constantly nauseous, often felt dizzy, and my heart would flutter in my chest non stop. I thought I was losing my mind and going crazy. This led to depression and a feeling of hopelessness. I went to the doctor and had every test in the book done and nothing was wrong. I was then prescribed Lexapro and the first couple weeks were rough.I started on 5mgs for two weeks and during that time I was also taking .25 Xanax a day while I got used to the Lexapro.I am now two months into 10 mg and have never felt better!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2015 2:13 PM

Review by jesb:

For Depression: I was put on this Medication after a suicide attempt two years ago. I dont think I could cope without it even though my life is back on track.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 10:05 PM

Review by Big Cat Ninja (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I started Lexapro 9 weeks ago for mild to moderate depression and anxiety. My doctor started me at 10mg a day and I'm still taking the same dose. Honestly, the first 3 weeks were tough. No appetite, and very sleepy. My head was in a fog and I couldn't think straight. Then after the 4th week, I started to feel like my old self again. The obsessive thoughts are very minimal now and I can get over things much better. I sleep great now and feel good. I recommend Lexapro to anyone that is suffering from depression and anxiety. The depression is basically gone. The anxiety is still there sometimes, but not nearly as bad as it was. Stay patient, It works.

January 7, 2015 11:02 AM

Review by LineH:

For Anxiety: Lexapro played a very important role in saving my life. After suffering serious anxiety and depression, while going through 6 years of therapy, and only feeling worse, I finally accepted that therapy on its own wasn't working. After a month Of using Lexapro, I noticed a significant difference in my quality of life. I liked the change the experience I had when I was first prescribed glasses when I was younger. I remember putting on glasses for the first time and thinking to myself, "I had no idea this is what the world looks like!" Everything was so clear and beautiful. That's what everything was like after starting Lexapro- I had no idea that it was even possible to live a life free from constant, sickening anxiety. Life now is beautiful!

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2015 11:46 PM

Review by SamiC (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It saved my life. So thankful I gave it a chance.

January 3, 2015 8:28 AM

Review by willie jay:

For Depression: Have taken for two years. It's the only SSRI I could take. All the other SSRI's had terrible side-effects. It really helped with depression and anxiety. It has really helped me to sleep. There are some side effects however. It has really decreased my libido and does make you gain weight. Because of these effects I have decreased my dosage. It is a very good medicine and I would highly recommend it.

January 1, 2015 11:31 AM