User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 195 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 21 reviews 47 medications

7.7
Summary of Lexapro reviews 965 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks. I am on day seven and haven't noticed any improvements, my anxiety was increased and I am experiencing some dizziness. However I am going to let the pill take it's course even though it's been hard to continue on it. My dad took the pill and had success with it so I'm hoping that's the case for me! Most of all just think positive that it will work! You will get through this! :)"

Racelife32 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "back on lexapro after a few years of not taking it. only been taking it for about a week so far and having little side effects at all. yawning a fair bit and feeling a little tired here and there but for me this is a good thing because i used have real trouble sleeping at night. nothing else other than that. no dizzy spells, no nausea, nothing! if you are new to this or are reading reviews to see if you will be ok with lexapro than PLEASE give it a chance. you will be so thankful for it once you start feeling the benefits from it. as i said ive only started taking it again about a week ago so im not back to being my normal self just yet but i know its coming any day now with a positive attitude!"

Johnny Tapp May 1, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Didn't do much for me at all, often felt sedated. Motivation is really bad. It stopped me from crying 24/7 and now I have an appetite but thats about it. Onto the next med I guess, I need the next one to be much better."

Nextmediguess (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 29, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "The time I been on lexapro I had mild side effects like yawning and insomnia really bad to the point I am only sleeping five hours or so...I can say it calms you but I haven't got the full effect of getting back to my old self again..."

Anonymous April 27, 2016

For Anxiety "I've been on this medication for 2 1/2 months now, so I'm not sure if that's long enough to judge this medication, but here I go. I am a 21 year old male, and I've had anxiety for as long as I remember, and on and off depression since I was about 15. This medication works FANTASTICALLY for both anxiety and depression. Both symptoms are at an all time low, and I love this medicine for that. Unfortunately, side effects are present, and for me, never went away. I ALWAYS feel tired on this medicine (as a result, caffeine is my best friend). Because of the side effects, I don't particular recommend this medicine, but everyone's body works differently, and it may be right for you."

asdflkjh3125t1353521 April 24, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Hi I started lexapro 20 mg around Dec 2015, for generalized anxiety. I was scared to take any prescribed drug due to me not wanting to get hooked on meds. My anxiety so bad that I was unable to function at all. I have two children and there was no other option for me but to try something. The first week I had insomnia, slight tremors. I would wake up every morning at 6am with it seemed to be a empty stomach. I went to the ER twice in the first week. I felt like there was no end. My husband thought it was all in my head. By week 2 every side effect started to decrease day by day. I was able to get out of bed and clean my house. I felt like I was not confined anymore. Week 4 brand new me. Try this med, it saved me and could save you!!!"

michellejob (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

For Depression "I felt a positive difference within the first week. I also have generalized anxiety and it seems to have helped with it as well. Due to my epilepsy, I take the highest dosage that I can, which is 10mg. I feel better but I think 20 would work great."

koffepot (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016

For Depression "I have taken Lexapro for 10 years. I had severe depression/anxiety and was put on Lexapro and xanax-(initially). If I skipped or I didn't take my Lexapro on time, I would have a bad bought of anxiety within a day. Too much or double up, and my brain was on fire and severe anxiety. But, it has been a life saver. I am totally myself with no weird thoughts or dreams and am happy! Your body will let you know when you should lower your dosage, but that will take a while, like years (headaches were my symptoms). Note for women, I still felt off right before my period. My doctor added the mini pill for the estrogen and now I am 100% all month. P.S. watch some of the generics, some have bad side effects!!!!"

jhappy! April 20, 2016

For Depression "I personally didn't like this medication. The first intake had me feeling like a walking zombie. It made me deaf and nauseous."

nishiiiiiiie April 15, 2016

For Anxiety "Today is my 3rd day on medication. I was prescribed it for social anxiety (despite being a beautiful 6'2 male with no reason to be anxious about appearance) generalized anxiety and panic attacks. Talking to people in malls, convenience stores and being around large groups of people frighten me. I havent noticed much of a difference other than lack of sleep, crazy amazing lucid dreams for the first two nights and my jaw clenching. So far no effect on anxiety and took a benzo because Im feeling restless but still feeling restless right now. I pray this works as Im unable to work now due to my anxiety. Ive always had anxiety but after having mono for 2 months it has spiraled completely out of control. I will update this soon. Please work!"

anxietyruinslives100 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

For Anxiety "I have had three very good experiences with Lexapo. To any readers in deep depression and with anxiety, rule one is to not take bad experiences you read on the web as your future experience. Each time I have experienced major depression, I started on 10 mg and had to grind my way through at least 4 weeks to feel any positive effects and the worse side effects were gone. I was bumped up to 20mg and it took two weeks of living through hell again and than suddenly it was gone. Exercise, get out and face your demons, and remember it can and will get better (yes, hard to believe when they could scrape you off the wall but it will happen). Good luck ... you have my sympathy and encouragement."

Phantom III (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2016

"I was prescribed lexapro after trying Zoloft. Zoloft did not work out for me. I've been taking lexapro for two weeks now and over all I feel much better. I occasionally have to take half a klonopin on bad days but over all, I am improving. There were some side effects but I was able to manage them even with school. Nothing I couldn't handle. I have a much better out look, and I have motivation to help others. I'm trying to exercise as well. I hope this medicine continues to help with my anxiety and depression:)"

Quince April 15, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "After four years my sweats are getting g worse and hope I don't have to stop taking this medication as it took the butterfly feel from my stomach"

thankfull (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2016

For Anxiety "I have been taking Lexapro 10mgs for nearly 4 months because of anxiety and mild depression. I had about 5 days at first with some dizziness and nausea, after that things smoothed out. Almost immediately it cured my insomnia by 95%.I take it in the morning. In the past, if I woke up at night my thoughts would turn to things that kept me from falling asleep again. As far as anxiety, I am not worrying about things at work so much. I still have some social and anticipatory anxiety, but it is some better than before. Depression is much better; I frequently have a warm feeling of happiness and everything will be alright. Before I felt distressed and flat about the future. So, I would definitely recommend a trial with this medication."

poodlelover April 14, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on many medications through the years, and this is the first one I've been on a medication that didn't make me drowsy, and had side effects I could tolerate. Having Major Depressive Disorder, PTSD, and Anxiety, but also having issues with psych medication side effects; I've been quite happy with this medication. It takes the edge off my negative moods, and at times renders me ambivalent-- which is better than before considering my PTSD anxiety was driving me to suicidal inclinations. However, if you aren't dealing with severe depression and anxiety, I'd suggest something less intense. Also, my medicaid covered this medication, but many insurance companies wont, and the original price is naught to scoff at."

Tia DeFye (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2016

For Depression "So I absolutely adore my lexapro I'm the happiest I have been in years. I literally cannot function without it. I had went off of it for about a month however due to insurance issues and I went insane. Like literally. Hysterical crying episodes I left my husband. So be prepared to never ever skip it. (i am back with my husband,btw when I got my mind back)"

Yasss (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2016

For Depression "I have been on 10mg valuim for 10 years. I started lexpro today. I am already feeling nauseous and feel my anxiety increasing. After reading these reviews I am willing to give a shot in really hope it works. Thanks for the reviews."

Dannie36 April 7, 2016

For Anxiety "Escitalopram has helped me tremendously with panic and anxiety! Want to give hope to others who've been combing forums as I have. Started having panic attacks 6 months ago for no apparent reason. Waited it out hoping they would stop, but only worsened and my life went downhill fast. Dr. gave me Escitalopram 10 mg. with Clonazepam to help with start up effects. The first 10 days were difficult: insomnia, loss of appetite, increased anxiety. These effects disappeared as I hoped and each day I noticed subtle improvements. I am now panic free! Still have small anxiety, but that is human and "normal". So happy that I took action, as I was very afraid. Give this med a chance and give it time to work. I'm sure glad that I did!"

c9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

For Depression "After trying numerous antidepressants years back and having bizarre reactions and becoming a walking zombie I was prescribed "Cipralex" 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I started with only 1/4 of a tablet as I was apprehensive but beside a bit of an odd smell when going to the bathroom they are amazing. After only 1/4 pill the first day about 4 hours after I took it I found myself laughing for the first time in years and now feel calmer, and much more focused with more drive. A month ago I could barely read a paragraph without losing my concentration or re-reading it over and over,now I WANT to read and read. I feel so much more in control,then again I have been experiencing depression for about 20 years so do something about it now no regrets here!"

Henry Ateris April 3, 2016

For Depression "I was on Lexapro for close to 5 months - didn't work for me, it made me More anxious. Told my dr & weaned off of it. I would not recommend it."

JB129 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2016

For Depression "I have been a heavy drinker in the past, and decided to completely quit drinking about 6 weeks ago for a variety of reasons. I had never really been depressed up to this point, but maybe I was dealing with my depression through drinking all along. I digress. I slid into a depression. I could not put one foot in front of the other. Work performance, sex life, hobbies, and social skills all seemed to suffer. My family and friends (some pharmacists and nurses) urged me to try an SSRI and see if it made a difference. They assured me that depression was common in early sobriety and that I may need a boost to get back to living a fulfilling life. I was prescribed Lexapro 10mg 2 weeks ago and I can already tell the difference. Everyday gets better"

Zackrey (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2016

For Anxiety "I have been taking Lexapro for three years now. It has been a miracle. I have not had any panic attacks in over two years. I have a great outlook on life and am totally comfortable in my own skin. Before I started I had panic attacks regularly. They were so bad that I would have them while driving, at work, while I was trying to sleep. I was a mess. Much, MUCH better with Lexapro."

Helen215! March 31, 2016

For Anxiety "I took Lexapro for almost 4 weeks and quit because it was pure hell. I tried to push through the side effects but they never went away. Insomnia, couldn't eat, anxiety hit the roof, panic attacks every night, and crazy thoughts. Was not for me."

C dallas March 30, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "So to start, Im not affiliated with any med companies, nor is this some fake bs review. I was you, scanning reviews all night long, just two weeks ago. I have a HUGE personal phobia of medication, in dread of any adverse side effects... and my anxiety has also come back with a vengeance over the last 2 years, and began controlling my life. I started on 5mg generic. People say it's placebo at this dose....everyone is different. I can tell you a few things: The 9th day on it I had realized most of my anxiety was gone & all my emotions, sex drive, were all in tact. 1 major problem... Insomnia for every single night, and night sweats. Couldn't sleep for more than 3 hours a night. Helped, but not the right med for me due to this. Try it!"

AnActuallyHonestReview (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm on my 5th day taking Lexapro 10mg and the side effects have been horrible! The most I can put into my stomach is a breakfast essential shake in a whole day, I get heavy head aches, the back of my eyes hurt like hell, I wake up drenched in sweat, my whole body aches to the point where I can barely walk, I get very cold easily, and I sleep throughout the day.. I was told the side effects will stop after a week but will the loss of appetite stop too?"

Drew72366 March 24, 2016