User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 81 reviews 6 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lexapro reviews 587 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

Review by TS80: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Lexapro has been an absolute miracle for me. I had become so depressed I could no longer get out of bed, and was crying every day. I hated the idea of getting on medicines, but I felt at that point I had no choice. The only regret I have now is that I didn't do it sooner. I had some pretty bad fatigue on the medicine for the first month or two, but that has now gone away. I am so glad I finally did this.

April 9, 2014 6:37 PM
Review by Andrew Jeff: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After being diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety disorder, my doctor prescribed me Lexapro. I was very skeptical. I finally took it after having a few days with me debating whether or not to take it. It made me feel a lot better. I'm only a few days into it but I can feel a difference. I'm a little dizzy and find myself yawning when I first take my dose of 10mg, but that usually goes away. I also had to use the restroom several times, but overall not a lot of side effects. I'm surprised and pleased so far and I'm sure I'll have to up my dose in a few months.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 6, 2014 5:50 PM
Review by Ami05: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I WISH Lexapro worked for me like it seems to for everyone else. The first few weeks were a nightmare (tired, nauseous, dizzy, panic attacks), but it did get me out of the deep slump I was in. Then I seemed to get better out of the blue but for the past couple of weeks I've slowly been slipping back into that slump. I've been on it about 2 months. It's causing me to have the most bizarre nightmares. I can't stop thinking about them during the day. I feel like a total zombie too, no emotion whatsoever. I guess that's why I feel like my anxiety has been eased. I've NEVER felt like this before, it's just bizarre.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 5, 2014 2:09 AM
Review by Nepaflyguy (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have suffered from GAD for most if my life. In the last 10 years it had slowly gotten worse and side problems showed like health anxiety, physical symptoms like back pain, neck pain, lump in throat, etc. Worry had taken over my life....unfortunately I didn't notice it associate most of these things with GAD. But it had been effecting my family for sometime. Got to the point where my wife moved out and filed for divorce. I finally made the decision to try an SSSRI. I had tried in the past but had rare side effects from all I tried. I started Lexapro 5mg and within 5 days began to feel better. Then after a few weeks it was like waking up from a deep sleep. I had my life back! Been 8 months now and I feel fantastic! Thank God for Lexapro!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 2, 2014 11:35 AM
Review by FinallyHopeful: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: All my life I've suffered from depression. Within the last year, severe anxiety came out of nowhere and I'd have about 2 or three bad attacks per month, on top of the multiple small attacks I'd get daily. ESPECIALLY in social settings. But even alone. I completely withdrew myself from my classes and my social life because of this. I started going to church. Meditating, running, praying, dieting, yoga, and trying to practice mindfulness.The failed attempts worsened my depression. I wanted the anxiety to stop so bad that I frequently considered suicide. Its been less than a day taking Lexapro but I'm so hopeful. Everything that felt like such a huge deal just hours ago are so minimal now.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 1, 2014 2:41 PM
Review by shanshan27: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I got a panic attack while at the movie, I wasn't watching anything scary, it was an action movie. Anyway, I went to my boyfriends house after and had another panic attack the same night and couldn't calm down. Went to work the next day and was still on edge. I decided to go to the doctors and she gave me Lexapro. While she gave me another medicine to take with it. I decided to only take the Lexpro/Escitopram. For the following 4 weeks only on Lexapro, I was very anxious and didn't go to work, then one morning during the 4th week, I felt better and normal. 2 year's later I saw a different doctor and she put me on a cheaper version of Lexapro, but during my first month on the other medicine I had another panic attack. I am now back on Lexapro.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 28, 2014 5:58 PM
Review by MStetzer: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: Suffering from daily and day-long anxiety and occasional panic attacks, Lexapro 10mg definitely made a difference within less than a month. I wasn't as anxious or worrisome all the time and my patience was much better. Because it's also for depression, I also found a change in my mood for the best. Unfortunately, after a few months on it, I plateaued, so I guess. I've tried weaning myself off very slowly in a span of 3 months at least 3 times. Each time, I get the brain zaps, which can be a bit cool but gets annoying. After a few days of that comes the manic psychosis. I get so ramped up and irritable and argumentative...it goes away within 24 hrs of taking a dose. SO here I am, still taking it.

March 21, 2014 4:48 PM
Review by limitless (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: This stuff is like magic. I have never been as happy or self actualized as I am now. I can do things I could never do before. No side effects that matter.

March 16, 2014 1:35 PM
Review by Focus and clarity (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I've always had anxiety more than most for years since I was a kid. In last few years (I am 50 yr. old male) this grew into depression. It got to the point I would get paralyzed on the next task over thinking it - I couldn't be decisive. Then I would get depressed because I couldn't get things under control which led to lack of sleep - continuous cycle. I was always against anti-depressants (for the weak I thought). I tried everything - exercise, no alcohol, no sugar, sleep aids - with little success. I finally gave Lexapro a chance. It brought the anxiety noise level & depression way down and allowed me to get perspective and sleep. Occasional chills, but less over time. No other side effects for me. Glad I did it.

March 16, 2014 9:00 AM
Review by AngryGerbil: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I had taken Buspar after my initial diagnosis and it had actually made it far worse. After switching to Lexapro, I can make it whole chunks of time (mostly three to four weeks) without having panic attacks. All the women and most men in my family suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and we're all on Lexapro with various dosages. My sister is in treatment for Hepatitis and those medications cause her anxiety and depression to worsen but Lexapro has helped. I also get strange problems with my vision and my ability to think clearly and problem solve when I'm in withdrawal from it (Our pharmacy sometimes screws up and I have a three day period of in refills).

March 13, 2014 11:37 PM
Review by bulseye (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I take Lexapro 10mg in the morning and trazodone 25-50 mg as needed for sleep. This combination works really well and has helped turn my life around with my depression and anxiety.

March 12, 2014 1:30 AM
Review by good as gold:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I have been on Lexapro for the past 10 years for generalized anxiety disorder and depression. It works perfectly and I have no side effects at this point. You have to try different ones to find the right one for you. Don't worry about long term use. Your goal is to return to a normal life. Don't listen to the negative talk and just remember how good you feel. That is what is important as life is too short to worry about all the people who are negative about something that helps you. Good luck to them I say!

March 11, 2014 10:06 PM
Review by Tansy101 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Been off and on Lexapro for 4 years now. I dread having to go back on it as the side effects make me feel lousy - headaches, nausea, jittery, insomnia, lightheaded and anxious. After a week though I feel back to normal and my energy and love for life returns. Being a person who prefers not to take medication I know that sometimes you can fight too long before you need a helping hand - Lexapro helped me. If you do get side effects at the beginning I advise you to go with the flow, understand that it's the medication working & think positive - take care to you all.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 1, 2014 4:15 AM
Review by Edward Scissorhands (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: 250lbs, 6'2, male.. Am taking 5mg Lexapro for about a week, and either it is this or the Lamictal (100mg), but I've experienced reduced anxiety, I was wondering if it just reduces the Anxiety or also reduces the symptoms because I still get pounding and increased heart beat, my blood pressure is usually 20 points high, I take Lisinopril and used to get 120/80 , now I get 140/80 with the lisinopril, Lexapro and Lamictal. Other things I've heard is if you go off Lamictal cold turkey, you'll get seizures. I'm staying on 5mg, I figure if the dose is upped, it overloads the system and is maybe what leads to tolerance, so I'm staying with a small dose until I feel ready to up it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 26, 2014 3:22 PM
Review by LivingAgainAndHappy: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I've been on Lexapro for two months now. The first 4 weeks I had very minor side effects. Dry mouth, dilated pupils, etc. VERY minor and only lasted 2 days each. Two months later I can tell you this medication is amazing. I suffered from very periodic anxiety which turned into panic attacks on some occasions. It was always in the back of my mind as to if or when it was going to happen. That's no way to live. I feel focused with clear thought now. I still laugh and feel every emotion...I just don't worry about things like I used to before Lexapro. I'm happier and have a more positive outlook on difficult situations in my life now. I find myself being much more social now too. Miracle medication for sure!

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 25, 2014 11:12 AM
Review by Dstwalley44 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I've been taking Lexapro for a week now to help me keep mellow like jello. I'm not taking anything else. I work 3rd shift. So my nights are days. And days are nights. This makes makes me extremely sleepy by the end of the week. I have only been on it for a week. This last Friday after I got off work. I fell asleep in recliner from 8:00am to 1:00pm got up ate a bite. Went to bed. I woke up to go to the bathroom a few times. But didn't get out of bed till 11:00pm Saturday. I have not left my bedroom, or ate anything. I don't feel like doing anything or going anywhere. I will be calling my doctor Monday and talking to him about how it makes me feel.

February 23, 2014 1:45 AM
Review by Jeri Lee: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I was diagnosed, with a panic disorder. I was always well traveled, worked hard and had a great social life, then my life changed over night. You can't explain to anyone the feeling of complete helplessness unless you are living it. Anyway long story short Lexapro saved my life, even though could not orgasm while taking it and gained 10 kilos, but I was able too come off it after a year. And now I'm living a normal life again.

February 20, 2014 5:53 AM
Review by Bo Diddle: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I have been on Lexapro for years, it has worked great. The trouble is finding a good medicine to use in combination with it. Abilify is a good one.

February 16, 2014 4:33 AM
Review by JaneNich: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: I was started on Lexapro for Generalised Anxiety Disorder because the Xanax I've been on for the past few years is now Schedule 8. I have been on it for 10 days now and I hate the side effects so I will not be taking any more tomorrow. I started out on 5mg for five days and felt nausea, intense headaches, excessive drowsiness, tremors and total lack of concentration. Then I was advised to up the dose to 10mg and things are worse as I feel extremely anxious and haven't left the house all weekend. Another side effect is extreme muscle jerking through the night. Definitely not for me.

February 15, 2014 8:05 AM
Review by maam madames (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Lexapro made me crazy. Everything from dry mouth, violent nightmares, violent kicking in my sleep, suicidal feelings, weird brain twitching, and many more symptoms. I started taking this medicine because it was deemed as the "miracle pill", however my experience was not pleasant. However, I have personally seen friends of mine use it and it has changed their lives..

February 13, 2014 8:06 PM
Review by vinpb90 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Sexually frustrated me and I was a little bit aggressive coming onto it. EVERYONE has a specific anti-depressant that will work for them. It's all trial and error. However, even though it didn't work for me, I'm a fan of the medication. Prozac, however, did the job.

February 9, 2014 1:41 PM
Review by MM2x: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Anxiety: I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now. I have suffered from social anxiety all of my life and finally went to the doctor to get help. It was the best thing I ever did. I now can function and feel normal. I didn't have any bad side effects from the medicine and have been very pleased with the results. My day to day life is not filled with me avoiding many situations and I now feel "normal". I never expected this medication to work. My only regret is I didn't get help sooner.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 1, 2014 7:47 PM
Review by Lexapro 1969 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Best antidepressant I've ever tried. Horrible sexual side effects, especially since I'm a newlywed. But at least I'm happy.

January 31, 2014 1:12 PM
Review by Cindy loo who: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Once I got over the nausea, I loved how it helped me feel more human.

January 30, 2014 6:34 PM
Review by Marguerite1002: User Rating:

Lexapro (escitalopram) for Depression: Searched for balance for years. Tried a lot of different meds. Lexapro made my life normal. Take 20mg and .5 mg of clonazepam at bedtime. I am in sales and people never would think I deal with anxiety and depression.

January 29, 2014 11:57 PM