User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Major Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 44 medications

7.9
Summary of Lexapro reviews 609 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

Review by Vrazicak (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: Significant and easily observable reduction of sex drive and erection, but not enough to be a serious issue. Not a single other negative side effect, even during the first days of taking the medicine. I actually had *some* extremely positive side effects in the first week of using, unfortunately, those last only for a week max. Keep in mind that I'm very tolerable to SSRI-s - I didn't have problems with Prozac and Zoloft either.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by Dallasmomof3:

For Depression: I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis a few months back and ended up having to return to the doctor within a month of diagnosis for the same thing. He seemed baffled as he said I shouldn't have had another attack so soon! I had been having some major anxiety so I asked him if this could be the cause and he agreed. He decided to put me on 10 mg of Lexapro and to be honest I wasn't expecting much. I had been on Zoloft, Paxil and Cymbalta with almost no difference. I took the first pill before going to bed that night and woke up in the morning ready to run a marathon! I finally feel happy, hopeful, almost no anxiety, I can speak my mind now when before I was too scared etc., etc.... LOVE IT!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2014 8:54 AM

Review by DessertintheDesert (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Been taking Lexapro 10mg for 4 weeks now. It started to help a little after just 2 days. Now I have very few guilt feelings, nearly no depression, no suicidal thoughts, no obsessing over negative things. Not too much help with social anxiety, but does help anxiety around angry people. Unfortunately, during PMS, it barely helps me, but once that is passed, I'm okay again. Makes sleep WONDERFUL and easy. Side effects-sleepy off and on during the day, mild, treatable, headaches the first few days.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by Covit (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: 2 month depression, insomnia. Tried meditation, exercise, psychotherapy, sometime help, but has great mood swing, finally decide to take Lexapro. First night, I took 10mg, it kept me awake whole night. So I took 5mg now in the morning. It seemed to improve my mood, but I have insomnia with this.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2014 9:07 AM

Review by kal320 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Was on Lexapro after the death of my mom, I didn't like the sexual side effects so I was switched to Wellbutrin, it made me hungry all the time but did work for a few months then suddenly stopped and I was worse than before. I went back on the Lexapro and am doing much better with the anxiety and depression. As for side effects, I would rather deal with those then anxiety and depression any day.

July 7, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by ddmau (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I suffered from depression and generalized anxiety disorder for 4 years and 10 mg of Lexapro worked miracles. Side effects lasted about month and included fuzziness, fatigue and brain zaps. I weaned myself off 6 months ago and should NOT have done that. Fell into major depression and horrible anxiety including panic attacks. Really bottomed out finally with a twitching emotional collapse curled up in bed. Forced myself to Dr. who put me back on 10 mg 3 weeks ago. First week side effects horrible, including nausea, cramps, brain zaps, tremors and nightmares. Now, into 4th week, depression is gone, anxiety much relieved and able to function. I know in another couple of weeks, I will be back to normal again.

June 23, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by Curlz (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: First and foremost, like so many others on here--Lexapro saved my life. I was not necessarily suicidal, but litterally, had no life and was scared all the time. For the most part no one knew what I was dealing with, I was a highly respected professional who somehow managed to keep it to herself. I would sneak off to bathrooms all the time to go in a stall and calm down, if no one was in there, I would indulge on laying on the cold tile floor to just try and cool myself off. I stopped going to movies, on dates, church, anything where I felt trapped. I was not afraid of flying, I was afraid of when the time between take off and when the captain turned off the seat belt sign. This medicine gave ME back, 5 years strong.

June 21, 2014 3:02 PM

Review by Bikebke:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Good

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2014 1:18 PM

Review by Shoegazer (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: Lexapro (Cipralex in Canada) is an effective antidepressant that worked well for generalized anxiety disorder. I took it because I had general anxiety (occasional panic attacks) and depression. It worked well in both areas. It helped a lot with mood, confidence, anxiety, motivation. But it was not without side effects. It does cause weight gain, although the exact reason is confusing. I went from 180 pounds to 200 pounds in 6 months. There are also sexual side effects, prolonged ejaculation with very little feeling and a strange feeling of being unable to urinate freely (taking longer than usual). It made me very sleepy. Weening off is difficult. Those are the pros and cons. If the cons don't sound too bad to you it will help otherwise.

June 11, 2014 12:09 PM

Review by Lizzy15:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I suffered (still do) from generalized anxiety disorder. About 4 months ago I finally had to do something. My anxiety got so bad that I couldn't do anything, and I didn't want to do anything! School didn't interest me, I never wanted to go out with my friends, and the symptoms were so bad that all I wanted to do was stay in bed. (dizziness, fatigue, muscle aches, panic attacks, and waking up out of nowhere during the night) I went to my doctor and he prescribed me 10mg of Lexapro. At first, I was scared to take it but I finally was like WHAT THE HECK?! This might help me. And it did. The first week or two I felt dizzy like I was swaying back and fourth, and the dry mouth was annoying but I got used to it. This medication makes me feel like a new person!

June 10, 2014 11:55 PM

Review by Bree(: (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I finally feel more mentally stable! I've been on this for a week and a half and I already noticed a HUGE difference like ...I'm in serious shock. This is like a miracle. I've been diagnosed with depression, and every type of anxiety. I am now more talkative, I have way more patience & I just feel so happy. Like I feel normal. And I had little to no side effects. I did 5mg for a week then upped to 10mg three days ago and since I started all I felt was more tired but that went away in the first 3 days. The first day though I took a nap after I took it and I lost my appetite for the night and I felt a bit shaky for 2 secs but after that everything was normal.

June 4, 2014 2:29 AM

Review by Rozer (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Completely numbed me, gave me horrible panic attacks. Even when I'd gotten used to the medication my panic attacks turned into a deep depression and felt completely lifeless. 5 weeks in I couldn't do it anymore

June 4, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by Anonymous12345663311 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Been on this medication for almost a week. Within the first two days I had stopped having panic attacks, down from around two-three a day. Side effects are minor, at least to me. I get hungry a lot, and sometimes can't sleep properly, but both of those are essentially the same as how it was before, so I'm used to it.

June 3, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by Antimeds (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: For almost three years I dealt with major depression and anxiety. After my separation, my life fell apart and I couldn't control my emotions. I was dealing with depression, anxiety and rage. I am very anti medication but knew I needed help. I completely broke down and sought help. I was prescribed Zoloft for the first time in my life and felt that I went crazy. My anxiety kicked in overtime and I lost my job. I will never be able to explain how bad it was but I tried to just survive for another year thinking nothing would help. Three months ago I went back to my doctor's office and was prescribed 20mg of Lexapro. I told her I was terrified but would try anything at this point. It took two months to feel like a human again. It saved me.

May 27, 2014 10:08 PM

Review by Johnathan Deau:

For Depression: My feelings of depression were actually amplified by this.

May 24, 2014 1:27 AM

Review by KN from texas (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: I have had anxiety all my life and I am now 63 years old. About 3 years ago my life spun out of control with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder and I was not functional as a human being. I tried Buspar to start and it did nothing to help me then I tried Zoloft and I could not handle the side effects. Finally I got on brand name Lexapro which started helping me. Once I leveled off at 40 mg per day I resumed being my normal self. About a month ago I switched to generic escitalopram and now I am noticing I am not as happy and I am having anxiety symptoms again. I am going back to brand name immediately. I don't care what anyone says brand is better than generic and there is a difference.

May 22, 2014 2:13 PM

Review by jojo1980:

For Anxiety: I've been taking escitalopram for more than a month at 10mg daily for my anxiety disorder. Last 2 years ago I took this for more 2 months at the same dose. Last Feb I had observed that my anxiety was back again so I started to take last month. Thanks to God I feel better again now after 1 week, although there is little anxiety but not so compared before.

May 22, 2014 6:25 AM

Review by ccbarista (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: It was not fun for the first couple weeks. I was dizzy, couldn't sleep, nauseous, and couldn't eat. I lost 6 pounds, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm an already thin 5'8" female who went from 120 to 114lbs in a matter of days. Moving past this, Lexapro has helped me so much. I'm also on Lamictal, so the combination is working well for me. I actually feel like I can talk to people, whereas before I was so scared of being judged that I couldn't even talk to customers at work. I can now ask people to hang out. I'm still very self conscious (I won't pretend it's a miracle medicine that fixes everything), but it has gotten me to a place where I can actually start working on improvement, whereas before I was so paralyzed I couldn't even begin.

May 11, 2014 9:37 PM

Review by Rhianeetha:

For Depression: As a mother of two young boys I started feeling down and depressed and I couldn't even leave the house because of my anxiety. It started helping me after 2 days (half tab) now I'm taking 1 and a half tablets and I feel so much better. its been a month since I have started this and I love it. I have tried Celexa, Prozac etc...nothing worked. THIS DOES! It makes me tired so I take it at night.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2014 3:29 PM

Review by ChangedLife (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Amazing! After only 2 weeks on Lexapro my life has changed dramatically I had deep depression & severe anxiety! I only felt sick for 2 days & everything changed I feel great no more racing thoughts & finally have energy back. I've been into a shopping plaza, can drive anywhere & most importantly can go anywhere without a fear something bad will happen. The only down fall it has for me is I now have NO sex drive, but if that's the worst I have to deal with I definitely think I'm winning.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2014 3:43 AM

Review by Pee wee McGee:

For Depression: Best thing to happen to me. Wish I would have done this years ago.

April 24, 2014 1:17 AM

Review by xx0011all:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Lexapro has honestly saved my life. I have been dealing with Anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder my entire life and have tried multiple medications, nothing has worked, this is amazing. I would say before Lexapro my anxiety on a scale of 1-10 was a 10 EVERY SINGLE DAY. Now its at 0! Sometimes maybe a 1. It has given me my life back!

April 23, 2014 3:17 PM

Review by TS80:

For Depression: Lexapro has been an absolute miracle for me. I had become so depressed I could no longer get out of bed, and was crying every day. I hated the idea of getting on medicines, but I felt at that point I had no choice. The only regret I have now is that I didn't do it sooner. I had some pretty bad fatigue on the medicine for the first month or two, but that has now gone away. I am so glad I finally did this.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 6:37 PM

Review by Andrew Jeff:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After being diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety disorder, my doctor prescribed me Lexapro. I was very skeptical. I finally took it after having a few days with me debating whether or not to take it. It made me feel a lot better. I'm only a few days into it but I can feel a difference. I'm a little dizzy and find myself yawning when I first take my dose of 10mg, but that usually goes away. I also had to use the restroom several times, but overall not a lot of side effects. I'm surprised and pleased so far and I'm sure I'll have to up my dose in a few months.

April 6, 2014 5:50 PM

Review by Ami05:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I WISH Lexapro worked for me like it seems to for everyone else. The first few weeks were a nightmare (tired, nauseous, dizzy, panic attacks), but it did get me out of the deep slump I was in. Then I seemed to get better out of the blue but for the past couple of weeks I've slowly been slipping back into that slump. I've been on it about 2 months. It's causing me to have the most bizarre nightmares. I can't stop thinking about them during the day. I feel like a total zombie too, no emotion whatsoever. I guess that's why I feel like my anxiety has been eased. I've NEVER felt like this before, it's just bizarre.

April 5, 2014 2:09 AM