User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 39 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 1 reviews 5 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 873 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Postpartum Depression: "Was taking two 37 mg per day but made me nauseous so kept missing the second dose & wasn't working . Now taking 75mg slow release per day. Was completely spaced out for a few days..zoning out! but after 10 days I feel great. Loads of energy. Depression easing off. Impressed but hope it lasts . Side effects were dry mouth but this has now gone. Sex drive has also plummeted but I do have a baby so could be down to that. In any case I'd rather have my old self back than a sex drive so not too bothered. Have tried prozac and citaloplam in the past until they stopped working. I'd say this is just as good if not better. Fingers crossed x"

Helen248 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety my whole life. I have been on multiple medicines to try to tame them, and nothing really worked... until now. I got on effexor and immediately felt relief of anxiety. I hadn't felt like that since I was a very small child. It felt like the world was lifted off my shoulders! I couldn't believe the difference! I recommend this medicine to anyone who suffers with anxiety. I tthought all this time that how I was feeling was related to depression, but it wasn't! It was anxiety. I love how I feel now and would love to be a spokeswoman for this medicine. It made me feel so much better! Highly recommend to anyone."

Stacemeisterbee February 8, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "The first day I took this medication my hot flashes reduced significantly!! I am truly grateful!!"

Tracy S. (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "It was the worse experience ever. I took it and couldn't sleep all night. I cried for hours and even called the emergency hotline. I had muscle stiffness, excessive yawning, nausea, and twitching. So far the worse medication I've ever taken"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I have Hereditary Depression, Bipolar Type 2, PTSD, High Anxiety, Insomnia, I also had some bad Paranoia issues at the time prescribed because of an insane stalker. I have taken over 50 medication combinations. This by far is the worst drug I have ever taken. I knick named it, "Effects Her!!!". The medication was hell on Earth for me. I had several bad side effects on this med. The worst being that when I fell asleep my brain created extremely realistic vivid dreams. Also, after sleeping for a few hours, it seemed like very high impact stressful weeks had just gone by in real time. So I had to try to decipher reality upon waking. Needless to say, I lost my job! My Anxiety and Paranoia were worse! Plus it is absolute Hell to come off of!!!"

Never take this EVER!!! February 6, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I was suffering from hot flashes, night sweats, and irritability - symptoms of menopause. The hot flashes were happening several times a day and were becoming unbearable. My doctor recommended Venlafaxine since I had a strong history of breast cancer in my family. The hot flashes disappeared the day I began taking the medication! My only side effects were a lot of yawning (which lasted about a year). About 6 months after beginning the medication, the hot flashes began to return (although not as often as before). My doctor increased the dose and I have been fine for over a year now. This medication really works for me! My husband loves it too because he says I'm back to my "old self" again - not irritable!"

Relieved! (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "It's literally saved my sanity!!! Haven't had a hot flush since I commenced Efexor, and I was getting at least 12 to 16 daily."

KitKat65 February 5, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I had a friend tell me about Venlafaxine and how it helped her hot flashes. I'm so happy I took her advice! Not only did it eliminate my hot flashes it improved my mood and took away the irritability I had. My husband calls it my happy pill. It's so nice to not have the hot flashes and feeling so irritable. This was a much better choice for then taking hormones! I've had to increase the dosage over the last year to 150 mg."

Relaxed! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Started out on 300 mgs 1 x per day. Can't say it helped or didn't. The dose was lowered to 75 mgs at one point to see if it was the reason for my memory loss. Supposedly I had an acute stroke with partial blockage in my neck. I have been on it 15 years doctors recomendations. Last 7 years have been on 150 mg's 1 x per day. Mind comes and goes. Sometimes I can't remember my husbands name. I had no visual signs of stroke. They said it was an old stroke I never noticed. I also take xanax 2 mgs per day. Gabapentin 300 mgs per day. Geodon 40 mgs per day. Bisoprolol 10 mgs 1 x a day. Diabetic. Take insulin. Anxiety is gone. I do need to figure out what is causing my memory to come and go. Wondering if anyone else has this problem on Effexor ER."

Faithy161 (taken for 10 years or more) February 3, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "My physiatrist prescribed this medication (venlafaxine) because my other medication was not working. The first couple of days I had major hot flashes. I kept sweating for no apparent reason. I felt more anxious and depressed than usual. It lasted about 2-3 weeks with those kind of side affects, also I couldn't sleep which I started taking melatonin. This is my third month in venlafaxine and I'm good and stable. I sleep 7-8 hours I feel more energized but yet in order to sleep I must take my melatonin still which kind of upsets me. But I feel much better now. I recommend this to people who have major depression or major anxiety. My anxiety used to reach the level of me throwing up every time before going into work or school which now I don't"

AdriOrt (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "originally on seroxat (paxil) for 17 years. felt so good on 20mg that after having my child I thought I would come off it as thinking of having second baby. I was put on prozac to help with withdrawal. after 4 months on prozac I was an absolute mess so Dr put me on effexor. I've been on this now for 6 months. I cry literally every day. it has created obsessional and horrible thoughts, I am constantly tired. I have anxiety and panic. I feel it has actually created new symptoms that I never had. I do not like this drug and am coming off it as soon as I get an appointment with the psychiatrist"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was on this medication for 12 years and was sick from it for 12 years. I was on it for debilitating anxiety. It gave my a disorder called Postural Ortho Tacychardia. I had to see a Cardiologist. I always felt sick and no one doctor could help me or give me any answers. My feelings were also numbed. I turned into a zombie and just slept for 3 or 4 days at a time. I went to a new doctor and started to titrate off of this medication. It took me 8 months to titrate off of this. Titrating off of this is hell ( but you can get off of it ) when the medication was completely out of my system. Because I was numb for so long. The panic came back in one big wave. I ended up in the psychiatric part of the hospital. Be careful with Effexor Xr"

Jax131 January 29, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I've struggled with GAD, social anxiety, depression issues since I was 15. Lets just say I get easily nervous. I am now 27 as I type this ,and let me just say I've tried every single antidepressant out there. This one has really worked for me it boosted my mood. I'm more social. I don't do anything socially awkward around new people anymore. And I keep losing a lot of weight even though I'm very active. So that's a plus!"

Nickz88 January 29, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "So after some horrendous blows from life (car accident where my hubs was driving, me in passenger seat, mom behind me...T-Boned and she was killed instantly, I had months of physical therapy, miscarriages, Dad had a massive stroke....just bad thing upon bad thing) I realized that these outside circumstances where absolutely stealing my life away. Now, even previous to these trials and tribulations, I've always been a fairly anxious person. I learned to cope with my "issues" through prayer, yoga, books....things of that nature but this last blow of the accident sent some place else. I finally realized I needed help. I'm only on day 2. I feel better but drowsy. I'm hoping this will at least stabilize me once again. (fingers crossed)"

StefiK (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

For Depression: "I went to my doctor after suffering several years of depression. I was in my late twenties and had been feeling strong suicidal depression since my mid teens. I went to a doctor finally and after talking to me for about three minutes, he prescribed venlafaxine (Effexor brand) I started out at a low dose, and kept getting my dosage raised every time I went back to the same doctor. Each time my dosage was raised, I was feeling worse. The doctor just said it takes time to work. After almost a year of taking this junk, eventually at the highest dosage, I was self mutilating and always suicidal. Doctor was just looking for a kickback from the Pharmaceutical company I suspect. I quit it cold turkey and that was about the same as being on the drug"

Jagov January 28, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "The drug works well. The problem is trying to get off it or if you run out of pills. Numerous blogs are dedicated to the horror stories of detoxing from this Med! Be very careful and do your research before you start taking this drug!!!"

TaxiTaxi January 26, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "After a very dark time in my life I dropped my male pride and sought help from my physician and was diagnosed with MDD and GAD. I was prescribed Effexor XR 75mg and being my first experience with anti depressants was very leery. For about two weeks the side effects were more than noticeable, sweating, dizziness, constipation, nausea brain zaps ect. About the same time (2 weeks) the relief set in the side effects began to lift. Everyone is different but Effexor has been a life saver and to say my life has turned around would be a huge understatement. From despair to feeling "normal" and enjoying life maybe for the first time ever. For me the only lasting side effect seems to be dry mouth after nearly a year. Small price to pay."

Daaavy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Not worth the side effects and withdrawal symptoms."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 24, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I'm only 18 years old and I have been put on some of the worst drugs ever. From Zoloft, concerta to vevance to Prozac and now Effexor. Effexor was actually a little bit worse from Prozac with me. Both of these drugs I quit having regular periods. But, especially with Effexor I had cramps almost the whole month rather than the week of my period. I craved food less I found it difficulty to stay hydrated. I have nightmares almost every night. I've been on drugs since I was 13. Effexor makes everything difficult to remember. I've attempted to go cold turkey it does not work. The dizzy spells, muscle spasms, stomach cramps increase. When they wear off I find myself having more panic attacks and depressing thoughts. I'm only on the 75 mg."

Kittylover777 January 24, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I stopped taking Topamax for mood disorder due to side effects of tingling on fingers and legs. I was recently prescribed 75 mg Effexor ER for chronic depression the generic. I started on the JAN16th noticed be loss of appetite first day, and 21Jan16 weighed in at 228.2 from 234 @ 5'6. My mood has also improved, now I have a bit more energy, and feel hopeful despite my situation not looking that way. I will be adding Wellbutrin with my Effexor. I hope the depression continues to get better and hoping to lose 70-80 lbs. as well. Give it time if it isn't working try something until you find the pill(s) for you, different pills work for different people. We all deserve a better quality of life then we had before. Good Luck"

Queencess (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Started on celexa 8 yrs ago. It was tremendously successful at 60mg, so much so that I nicknamed it routine Xanax. Then FDA directed lower dose to 40mg for senior citizens due to small possibility of dropping dead from altered heart rhythm. So my shrink and I tried Zoloft(I felt zombified). Lost two Drs. cause they transferred to different departments, then we tried adding wellbutrin to cover the side effects, but that simulated taking a strong stimulant, shakey and anxious. Was was then carefully switched to effexor SR. Once completely off the wellbutrin and Zoloft, and taking Effexor SR caps 150mg, I'm now, after a few days, approaching benefits of celexa, with side effects decreasing or gone. Will ask for 1 more slight dose increase."

knuckleD (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've had problems with depression off and on for most of my life. The first really severe depression happened when I was 24, and that was also the first time I was prescribed Effexor. I had been off it for several years, until just a few years ago when I had another relapse of major depression, mostly due to things in my life. I have to say that Effexor literally saved my life. There is no such thing as a "happy pill," and Effexor won't magically cure you overnight. BUT it takes the edge off the depression so you don't feel quite so hopeless, and you are able to function again and can go to counselling. It just kind of eases the symptoms of the depression. I had NO side effects from it, other than a very slight drowsiness in the beginning."

Ct92404 January 20, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Hi I was on cymbalta for 6 weeks gained 17 lbs. I started back to Effexor. Have lost 4 lbs in a week of coming off cymbalta and going back on Effexor. Cymbalta made me retain fluid. I was miserable on cymbalta. Rheumatologist wanted me to try cymbalta so I gave it a try for fibromyalgia I went through a little electric feeling for about 3 days coming off cymbalta. Can anyone tell me what else is good to take for the fibromyalgia pain. Effexor seems to help some , but still having some pain."

Anonymous January 20, 2016

For Depression: "I have suffered depression since childhood, also obsessive compulsive disorder and starting in my 20's major depressive disorder w/ psychotic features and massive anxiety. I have been on many of the SSRI's and they even tried me on lithium on one occasion, but it seemed to do nothing. One anti depressant that did work for me for 2 years was Nefazadone, it made me feel normal and even above the normal line. I am also diagnosed with dysthymia. One day the nefazadone quit working and I went into a major depression for months. I currently am on a high dose of Venlafaxine, 300 mg a day, but it is working. About a half hour after taking my morning meds I start to feel a lot better, and anxiety is nearly gone."

I.M. Sincere January 18, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been prescribed Effexor for over 6 years. Initially it worked great. Now they have made me go on a generic version venafaxine hcl ER. The manufacturer is TEVA. And I have had major anxiety, hives, headaches, can't sleep, night sweats just to name a few. I have heard from others they can not take the generic form. However, when I requested the Name brand my insurance wouldn't cover it. In going to fill my prescription it was going to cost $963 to fill. I was shocked. What is a person to do? Is there any help for those of use who can't take the generic format. And how to we find out what is actually in this to know what we are allergic to? Any help is appreciated..."

Helpless & Hives (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016