User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 621 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Review by KellyBird57 (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Would have been good for just depression, but I am suffering from anxiety too, and that seemed to get worse. So overall, didn't help. Might be good for just depression though.

February 19, 2015 5:21 PM

Review by Effexor XR user (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Mild side effects. Takes a while to wear off in the morning.

February 16, 2015 10:30 PM

Review by 0521j0929d:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I have been on Effexor XR for about a year, after switching from Paxil. It is a scary thing to read all these reviews, and question about whether you should or should not take it. I personally started for anxiety, and it has helped tremendously. To me having panic attacks is not a fun task, yes are there side effects but everything you put into your body does. Please try what your doctor recommends before you read all the reviews.

January 26, 2015 12:07 PM

Review by reemus:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I started taking Effexor 3 weeks ago after finding no success with Wellbutrin or Zoloft. It causes some initial bad side effects (nausea, dizziness, tiredness) but I cant emphasize enough how wonderful I feel now! I thought I would never find a solution. Most effective medication I've encountered this far!

January 25, 2015 3:43 PM

Review by britinUS:

For Hot Flashes: Absolutely effective. Had been having hot flashes for about 6 months and they were increasing not only in intensity but also in frequency. The final straw came when I was out with my daughter, 19, and she said 'your face is all sweaty.' Since I have started taking Venlafaxine, I can say the hot flashes have almost completely disappeared. I feel so much better. I do have a problem sleeping and am not sure if that is related to the medicine.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2015 10:35 AM

Review by TravisTheITGuy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Been taking Effexor XR for a while now. Helped with the depression and anxiety. However -1 for the constant nausea and -1 for the constant insomnia

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2015 1:43 AM

Review by Kpm65:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Vulvodynia: Probably saved my life at the time, but I developed a hypnotic-like falling-asleep-at-the-wheel problem on drives of more than 30 minutes in length; so regretfully had to stop using it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by tammyever... (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Very helpful medicine.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 9:48 PM

Review by Rob C (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: Update to review below. I have now been on Effexor XR for six months, and I can honestly say that it's worked wonders in eliminating my depression and obsessive thinking. I wasn't able to stay on the low 37.5mg dose, as I discovered that this is a starting dose only. I have been on 150 mg for about four months, and apparently this is the lowest effective dose for achieving a therapeutic effect for most disorders. My depression has gone, and I no longer have obsessive thoughts that were making daily life a living hell. The only drawback with Effexor XR is that it has low half life, which means that it doesn't stay in your system for long, and if you miss a dose you will feel withdrawal within a few hours. This medicine has been a life saver!

December 23, 2014 11:46 PM

Review by kma43:

For Hot Flashes: in 2005 at age 61, I had breast cancer. 32 radiation treatments later and it was decided NOT to prescribe a post-cancer med because of continuing menopausal hot spells oncologist prescribed Venlafaxine 75mg two times a day. as an RN I kept a hair dryer in my locker for when my hair would become drippy wet during hot spells. it is now 2014 and I do not experience the hot spells any longer! My moods are totally better and more positive...I know it sounds weird, but if I miss a dose, my mood plummets. Once, while on a trip, I had a terrible reaction when I ran out of my prescription and went without Venlafaxine for 3 days! The doctor knew immediately I was in withdrawals. Yucky spaced-out symptoms.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2014 9:52 PM

Review by carnivalofsouls (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Overall venlafaxine did what it was supposed to do, it kept my moods level, however; the withdrawals from having to stop it after becoming pregnant were horrible. Even with titrating off of it my brain and body felt like they were going to explode. The brain shivers landed me in the hospital (hyperemesis gravidarum didn't exactly help). The withdrawals alone will stop me from ever taking venlafaxine again.

December 17, 2014 11:57 PM

Review by lavendarles:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: This stopped my depression the second day! It felt like a hole in my heart mended! Literally! I seem to be able to skip days here and there in the spring and summertime with no effects, but never have plans to wean off. It has been too great a miracle prescription for me! Seven years!

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 5:38 PM

Review by JohnK223:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Side effects are plenty, like tremors, shakes, jolts, shudders, lack of libido and seeping semen (sorry if this puts anyone off their dinner), weird dreams (initial period), yawns that make me almost pass out (initial period), double vision at night looking at bright objects. I've been on 150mg for over a year. With all these side effects you'd wonder why I keep taking it!? It's because I remember weeping driving to work, gagging before going into what other people would only find mildly stressful situations and I've gained a great deal of control again in my life, having been promoted in work and being able to play with my kids and talk to my wife. You'll read horror stories about side effects but it has worked wonders for me.

December 16, 2014 10:50 AM

Review by Lane123456:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I am a 21 year old female. I was on Prozac for ten years (40 mg at the end) before switching to Effexor (37.5 mg at first, 262.5 mg now) because I was having issues with anxiety. I was ok for a while then I became extremely depressed and suicidal. My doctor increased my dose and although it did take away the misery and suicidal thoughts, I wouldn't describe myself as happy. I feel constantly tired, sleeping up to 16 hours a day. I can't work and social situations exhaust me. It took me a while to realize Effexor might be responsible for some of these symptoms. I am talking to a psychiatrist about changing my medication but I'm very worried about the infamous withdrawl from Effexor.

December 7, 2014 12:52 AM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Postpartum Depression: Effexor XR worked great at treating my Postpartum Depression - within 6 weeks of taking it, it was gone. I did have a lot of problems eating on this, though, which was the reason I stopped taking it.

December 5, 2014 8:14 PM

Review by Brandy B (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: This medicine literally saved my life. I toook 75mg and the first day I took it, I noticed a difference in my mood. I woke up in the morning and actually felt like getting out of bed. I smiled and enjoyed being around people and was in a pleasant mood. I was getting my life back! The only side effect I noticed was that I was pretty nauseous the first week and lost my appetite. But, it wasn't bad at all! I stopped taking the medicine suddenly when I found out I was pregnant and the only side effect I noticed when I stopped was being dizzy for about a week. But that could've been because I was pregnant too. Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage, and started taking Effexor again. Looking forward to being happy again.

December 5, 2014 7:38 PM

Review by stoked:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Been taking this for years, helps me out a lot.

December 5, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by JemmaVictoria:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I also suffer from EUPD (BPD), Anxiety, Anorexia Nervosa, Although I have only been on these for a month, I feel a huge difference. I , for once, actually feel like I can get better, and I am getting better. I can laugh, I can think clearly, I can breathe again. However, I get very nauseous on these, and it seems only eating cures that, which is out of the question for me at the moment.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2014 3:46 PM

Review by Eliza_nsw:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: When I first took Effexor I was in the first few days a bit jittery, but then I felt like I hadn't felt in years or ever. It was such a God send. Then with doctors advice after approx 12 mths I went off it. I went on it two more times, but my dose was higher and higher- no real help to me. Then a third time, I went off my head on it. The anxiety was woeful, so severe. I phoned up the help line for mental health and got the usual spiel- give it time, yes, it can cause that, speak with you doctor and so on. I read how this can happens then wamo it works. But I had already been on it before and never had such side effects. It was horrible, and scary. My personal experience is two opposites. Good and horrible.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 8:25 AM

Review by Kazzawan62 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Hot Flashes: I have taken these for three days and my hot flashes stopped within 48 hrs fantastic

November 24, 2014 5:35 PM

Review by getmebettersoon:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Its early days but I have over the last 12 months tried mirtazapine and citalpram. I'm currently on a low dose but I suspect my GP will want to up my dose.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by TeTee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Hot Flashes: I have been on Effexor 37.5 mg for three months for Hot Flashes. After my first bedtime dose, I was feeling lightheaded and a little jittery the next morning but those symptoms went away after three days. Before Effexor I would wake up several times a night due to the Hot Flashes. I am a totally different person and a pleasure to be around. I am dating again after a two year hiatus and the medication has not affected my sex drive.

November 18, 2014 9:16 PM

Review by Hullaboo:

For Anxiety: I used to be strong and positive. Many deaths in the family including my daughter. And terrible post traumatic stress disorder and PND meant I wasn't coping with life. Panic attacks sent me to hospital. I was convinced I was going to have a cardiac arrest. Started on 37.5mg then progressed to 75. Brilliant stuff. I'm lucky in that I have had no side effects and I feel like a new person. Highly recommended.

November 18, 2014 7:02 AM

Review by sailor70 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Have been on a lot of different antidepressants for anxiety. Most meds made my condition worse (making me more hyper) or made me 'not care' (eg citalopram). Although it's been hard getting used to Effexor - it made me very sick for the first few weeks and affected my sleep - I now feel more in control now than I've ever been before.

November 17, 2014 1:16 AM