Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 631 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Review by ..... (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I've taken this medication for about 5 years now after having no success with other antidepressants. I take 75 mg everyday. On the rare occasion that I run out of pills or miss a dosage, the side effects are incredibly hellish. The nausea and dizziness are hindering and I have found nothing that can help these side effects.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2015 2:04 PM

Review by Calamity017:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I started having panic attacks at age 10, always been a struggle, then started having really bad bouts of depression. Things got to stage where I was just so tired of being scared all the time and finding it hard to function. I've been on many antidepressants through the years, Lexapro I had been in for over 10 years, phych weaned me off and put me on Effexor. I actually can't believe this. It's only day 2 On 37.5mg to be increased to 75 next week, but I swear I feel a calmness I haven't felt before, surely after 2 days I'm thinking this can't be right, but after reading some reviews I can see that others have had relief in a short time from this medicine. No side effects. Just feel calm. Feeling hopeful

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2015 9:58 AM

Review by Mikkiluv:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I think maybe the 19 year old should have had something like Clonazepam prescribed as well. I've been taking 150 mg of "V" in the PM for awhile now and at first in the morning I feel really shaky all over and wonder if I made a mistake, then I take 0.5 mg, the lowest dose of Clonazepam and I level off and stay that way the rest of the day.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2015 5:09 PM

Review by Leila007 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I was prescribed this medicine for anxiety. I took this stuff for a couple of days, had an adverse reaction and needed to stop. Since then I'm going through a severe crisis. Fits of rage, urges to hurt myself or others, migraine, nausea, self harming, fainting, heart racing, paranoia, multiple trips to the ER, almost locked up in the closed psychiatric ward. I have never had any of the above mentioned symptoms before. I was just anxious and a little depressed. I want my life back. I'm starting to loose hope.

March 13, 2015 11:24 AM

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I am taking 35 mg and it works great. I have strange dreams but that's about it for side effects.It doesn't interfere with sexual health like a lot of anti-depressants do.I can see staying on it for as long as I need to.I am glad that I tried, also lessened fibromyalgia outbreaks.

March 5, 2015 6:15 AM

Review by Karen Elizabeth Evans (taken for 10 years or more):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Overall I have found this the best for me. I can have a normal life which enables me to work full time and support myself no major side effects except I have to watch my diet.

March 2, 2015 1:35 PM

Review by Happy Me:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I switched to Effexor after taking Prozac for years and it just didn't seem to be working for me anymore. I'm so glad My Doctor suggested I switch to Effexor. I've been taking for about 2 years and it seems to be working great for me. I very rarely have a down day. You must take as directed and not miss dosages. I can't miss more than 1 days dosage or I will get nauseous and dizzy.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2015 8:49 PM

Review by KellyBird57 (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Would have been good for just depression, but I am suffering from anxiety too, and that seemed to get worse. So overall, didn't help. Might be good for just depression though.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 5:21 PM

Review by Effexor XR user (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Mild side effects. Takes a while to wear off in the morning.

February 16, 2015 10:30 PM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: This is by far the most effective antidepressant I have EVER taken. I have tried Prozac, Zoloft, and Celexa which all caused numerous unwanted side effects. I have been on Effexor XR for a month and in the beginning the only side effect I experienced was being sleepy. This went away after about a week. I can tell you after just one week my mood lifted and I have zero anxiety. Thank you Effexor XR.

February 10, 2015 3:12 PM

Review by I have been on Effexor 3:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking Effexor for 8 years. Started 100mg raised over the years, now taking 300mg. Anxiety is roof level, Panic attacks are more frequent, literally feel my brain sparking. I'm tearful, short wicked, don't sleep much, appetite is 50/50. No motivation, I have had the same doctor for 13 years.

February 4, 2015 8:37 PM

Review by 0521j0929d:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I have been on Effexor XR for about a year, after switching from Paxil. It is a scary thing to read all these reviews, and question about whether you should or should not take it. I personally started for anxiety, and it has helped tremendously. To me having panic attacks is not a fun task, yes are there side effects but everything you put into your body does. Please try what your doctor recommends before you read all the reviews.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2015 12:07 PM

Review by reemus:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I started taking Effexor 3 weeks ago after finding no success with Wellbutrin or Zoloft. It causes some initial bad side effects (nausea, dizziness, tiredness) but I cant emphasize enough how wonderful I feel now! I thought I would never find a solution. Most effective medication I've encountered this far!

January 25, 2015 3:43 PM

Review by britinUS:

For Hot Flashes: Absolutely effective. Had been having hot flashes for about 6 months and they were increasing not only in intensity but also in frequency. The final straw came when I was out with my daughter, 19, and she said 'your face is all sweaty.' Since I have started taking Venlafaxine, I can say the hot flashes have almost completely disappeared. I feel so much better. I do have a problem sleeping and am not sure if that is related to the medicine.

January 18, 2015 10:35 AM

Review by Unbroken0007:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was started at a low 75 mg. This was a very dark time emotionally for me because I felt like I was taking candy, not medicine. As we slowly increased the dose, the heaviness of depression began to lift, but I also became VERY sleepy. Other early side effects was dizziness, insomnia, minor stupor, vivid dreams, stomach cramps, and worsened anxiety. All these are gone except anxiety. We added a sleep aid and Buspar to take as needed for anxiety and insomnia. But I had to up the venlafaxine XR to my doctors max outpatient dose of 225 mg to get rid of the unmanageable depression. This dose combined with CBT (therapy) has greatly increased the quality of my life. But NEVER FORGET A PILL! Withdrawal is awful! Sobbing, "shocks", lethargy.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2015 8:09 PM

Review by TravisTheITGuy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Been taking Effexor XR for a while now. Helped with the depression and anxiety. However -1 for the constant nausea and -1 for the constant insomnia

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2015 1:43 AM

Review by Kpm65:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Vulvodynia: Probably saved my life at the time, but I developed a hypnotic-like falling-asleep-at-the-wheel problem on drives of more than 30 minutes in length; so regretfully had to stop using it.

December 29, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by tammyever... (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Very helpful medicine.

December 28, 2014 9:48 PM

Review by Rob C (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: Update to review below. I have now been on Effexor XR for six months, and I can honestly say that it's worked wonders in eliminating my depression and obsessive thinking. I wasn't able to stay on the low 37.5mg dose, as I discovered that this is a starting dose only. I have been on 150 mg for about four months, and apparently this is the lowest effective dose for achieving a therapeutic effect for most disorders. My depression has gone, and I no longer have obsessive thoughts that were making daily life a living hell. The only drawback with Effexor XR is that it has low half life, which means that it doesn't stay in your system for long, and if you miss a dose you will feel withdrawal within a few hours. This medicine has been a life saver!

December 23, 2014 11:46 PM

Review by kma43:

For Hot Flashes: in 2005 at age 61, I had breast cancer. 32 radiation treatments later and it was decided NOT to prescribe a post-cancer med because of continuing menopausal hot spells oncologist prescribed Venlafaxine 75mg two times a day. as an RN I kept a hair dryer in my locker for when my hair would become drippy wet during hot spells. it is now 2014 and I do not experience the hot spells any longer! My moods are totally better and more positive...I know it sounds weird, but if I miss a dose, my mood plummets. Once, while on a trip, I had a terrible reaction when I ran out of my prescription and went without Venlafaxine for 3 days! The doctor knew immediately I was in withdrawals. Yucky spaced-out symptoms.

December 22, 2014 9:52 PM

Review by carnivalofsouls (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Overall venlafaxine did what it was supposed to do, it kept my moods level, however; the withdrawals from having to stop it after becoming pregnant were horrible. Even with titrating off of it my brain and body felt like they were going to explode. The brain shivers landed me in the hospital (hyperemesis gravidarum didn't exactly help). The withdrawals alone will stop me from ever taking venlafaxine again.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2014 11:57 PM

Review by lavendarles:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: This stopped my depression the second day! It felt like a hole in my heart mended! Literally! I seem to be able to skip days here and there in the spring and summertime with no effects, but never have plans to wean off. It has been too great a miracle prescription for me! Seven years!

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 5:38 PM

Review by JohnK223:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Side effects are plenty, like tremors, shakes, jolts, shudders, lack of libido and seeping semen (sorry if this puts anyone off their dinner), weird dreams (initial period), yawns that make me almost pass out (initial period), double vision at night looking at bright objects. I've been on 150mg for over a year. With all these side effects you'd wonder why I keep taking it!? It's because I remember weeping driving to work, gagging before going into what other people would only find mildly stressful situations and I've gained a great deal of control again in my life, having been promoted in work and being able to play with my kids and talk to my wife. You'll read horror stories about side effects but it has worked wonders for me.

December 16, 2014 10:50 AM

Review by Lane123456:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I am a 21 year old female. I was on Prozac for ten years (40 mg at the end) before switching to Effexor (37.5 mg at first, 262.5 mg now) because I was having issues with anxiety. I was ok for a while then I became extremely depressed and suicidal. My doctor increased my dose and although it did take away the misery and suicidal thoughts, I wouldn't describe myself as happy. I feel constantly tired, sleeping up to 16 hours a day. I can't work and social situations exhaust me. It took me a while to realize Effexor might be responsible for some of these symptoms. I am talking to a psychiatrist about changing my medication but I'm very worried about the infamous withdrawl from Effexor.

December 7, 2014 12:52 AM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Postpartum Depression: Effexor XR worked great at treating my Postpartum Depression - within 6 weeks of taking it, it was gone. I did have a lot of problems eating on this, though, which was the reason I stopped taking it.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate