User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 39 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 1 reviews 5 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 754 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I have been on many anti-depressants over the years. I have had depression and anxiety since I was 21 years old, and am in my late 40's now. Other anti-depressants caused horrible cravings for sweets and carbs. Plus the medications didn't work that well for me. I have been on Effexor for 8 months, 150 mg. It works wonders for me. I actually like to be around people now. I go places etc... I have a life again, and noticed that I get excited about life. Also, I have lost weight on it. My cravings are gone, I feel full after a meal and full a lot longer after the meal. I am gaining back my energy. I am a woman who was so severely depressed, I couldn't even get out of my recliner, and didn't get dressed most days. What a difference!"

Tol August 29, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was prescribed effexor for GAD with severe mood swings - im a busy person and have always said a "slow you down" type of antidepressant would not work for me I've tried ones that have left me feeling like a zombie (numb and lethargic) effexor is not like that, it really lifts my mood and keeps me stable. I experience little to no side effects. I have a good insight to my moods and work with my gp changing dosage when required I can be on anything from 75mg-225mg. I've also worked out I cannot take any dosage later in the day as I would go to bed feeling wired and not tired so I take them in the morning only. Only negative is if I miss 1 dose I'm ok, miss 2 and the withdrawals are so shocking! If you come off effexor it must be controlled"

gemini_girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 29, 2015

For Depression: "I have been on this drug for about a year. I went up to the highest dose I could (225mg). A year later, I started feeling better. Little did I know, that this drug would give me bad headaches, night terrors, constant over sweating and weight gain. The over sweating is unbearable, if its hot outside, don't bother wearing make up, it will come right off. You'll be sweating buckets while no one else has shed a single drop. The weight gain ruined my self esteem as well. If I would have known these side effects, I would have never started it. I am currently going off the drug and I am bracing my self for the days following my dose going to 0mg."

hopem August 29, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I have been taking Effexor for several years, first starting at 50, 75 then 150mg. As far as treating my depression it has been the best. I am a totally different person when taking it. I do have weird dreams, but I would rather have those than be a living nightmare in reality. What I do not like about Effexor is that it excaberates my chronic constipation condition. I have tried taking other anti-depressants, but they did not work as well treating my depression as Effexor."

N.L. August 24, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Starting of i was hesitant because nothing really happened i just felt blah the first two days on 75mg, than i started feeling the posotive effects! It was amazing, i havent felt like this ever before on an antidepressant! Im now on 150mg and just livin life depression free. If you have tried prozac, celexa, brintellix, and they havent worked for you give this a shot... Sometimes the risk is worth it!"

TalldudeTom August 24, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I just started about two weeks ago. I completely see a difference in myself for the better. My children are even noticing the difference in my reactions to basic things. I won't say I don't feel anything..but this is a period in my life...feeling nothing is what I need. I am able react to situations with logic. Instead of being on the emotional roller coaster all the time! I was suicidal two weeks ago. I took my kids zip-lining yesterday. I needed this. I'll deal with the withdraws later..this medication saved my life. I work out 4days a week so no energy loss. I don't feel a change in my appetite yet. I did have headaches yesterday briefly. dreams.. falling dream a few times. No weight gain so far. Sex. I don't have a desire yet."

My life matters now August 23, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Out of all the serotonin based drugs that literally have nothing to really do with true clinical depression; this is the better of the SSRI and SNRI class. Not anywhere as dangerous and toxic as Cymbalta; although this medication is something I want to warn everyone about: Effexor very quickly makes you its slave. Probably by purpose it has a very short half-life which makes even missing one dose produces horrendous withdrawal effects I would have to say are just as bad as abrupt benzodiazepine withdrawal (which is documented to be as bad as kicking heroin!). I will admit I do think it did help me but I have to stress even the XR release only has a 24 hour half-life. So 8 AM rolls around; you have no choice."

Alexander-X (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I've just started 37.5 mg of effexor xr for depression, gad and pd. Im on day 10 and I'm finally getting my energy back. I no longer stay on the couch all day long. Im finding that I have more energy in the am but after lunch the energy slowly fades. But im ok with that!! I was on celexa 30mg for 10 years and i am slowly weaning off that. The celexa work for maby the first 2 years but thats it! I havent tried anything else because I have a fear of taking new meds. I am very proud of myself for taking the plunge and trying something new!! Im happy that I did! I also suffer from chronic daily headaches and migraines which has a huge part of why I have anxiety and depression. I take 40mg of proaponolol and 75mg of amitriptyline as preventive"

kittsykat (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2015

For Depression: "Worked when no SSRI couldn't"

williamclarkonet (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 21, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Increase dose more slowly than the doctor says. I was convinced I was actually in hell for a week after increasing my dose for one single day. It helps my situation, but it ruins my memory, kills motivation, kills desire or will to do anything. A cool and crisp morning loses that good feeling and your sleep sucks causing you to be tired all day. I would recommend to take a dose only on days you feel awful. Maybe 15mg. I regret taking this every day. The withdrawal is worse than alcohol, tobacco and other SSRIs combined."

DanMedicineReview August 19, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "I started taking Effexor to counteract the hot flashes caused by Tamoxifen. This was truly a miracle cure for the hot flashes. Literally, I took the first dose of Effexor and the hot flashes were completely gone within an hour. I continued taking the medication for 4 days with not a single hot flash. It was amazing! BUT I had to stop taking it because I slept about 10 hours in 4 days. I constantly felt nervous, anxious and unable to relax. Sleeping was almost impossible. Sadly I chose the hot flashes over insomnia. Very disappointed "

Julie1024 August 19, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I was on 300mg. Of Effexor XR for 3 years and did not realise what it was doing to me until I weaned myself off it. I had constant suicidal thoughts and attempted suicide several times. I had severe alcohol craving and was labelled an alcoholic and had several very expensive stays in re-hab. I suffered horrific nightmares, paranoia and at times had difficulty rationalising what was reality. I lost all ability to handle my finances. My relationships were severely damaged because of this and I almost died 4 times. I have now been off it for 4 months and I am a different person. I no longer have nightmares, suicidal thoughts or crave or drink alcohol. This is an extremely dangerous drug! Avoid it completely! My story is not unique."

Wendy57 August 19, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Great feeling so far. Been on it almost two weeks for anxiety. Other than feeling a little jittery, it's been the best experience on meds thus far. I started being treated for major depression and was put on celexa which had horrible side effects and eventually stopped working. Then came Lexapro which was considerably better but I gained 45 lbs while taking it and had very low energy. Effexor makes me feel like I have energy again! So far, I'm in love."

Grad student/new teacher August 18, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I tried Paroxetine, Prozac and Celexa and had no positive results so my doctor advised I try Effexor XR given it is a SNRI or different class of drug. Almost immediately < 1 Week I felt a positive mood change, my social anxiety and mild stuttering seem to dissipate and I felt balanced. I have been taking Effexor XR now for almost a month now and my anxiety has dropped right off that I feel my normal self again, I am a lot more social and I stutter hardly ever and I think more logically. The only down sides are that I do sleep more and find it harder getting up in the mornings for work and have noticed fluid retention around my abdomen. I do not mind these small side effects because this drug has really helped me get my life together. :)"

MrPatrick August 16, 2015

For Depression: "i've been taking them for 5 weeks i was on citalopram 20 mg which just stopped working. switched to venlafaxine 37.5mg for 2 weeks then 2 a day for another 2 weeks then 37.5mg 3 times a day, the good thing it as stopped racing thoughts i have no control over and more relaxed the negative im constant tired and sleeping my life away cant even lift the hoover anxiety is still there don't want to socialise or go out side 8 months now really thinking there is no hope iv tried so many others over the years and some make me speed around a talk so fast and anxiety was greater getting really tired of fighting this depression thing iv had it for good 12 years severe depression.psychiatrist said i wiull get worse before getting better."

femy August 15, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I've been on this medicine for going on 5 months now and it's helped and not helped at the same time, I ran out and the 3 days I was off of it my head started feeling funny and I started feeling sick along with suicidal thoughts it was horrible and now I can't get off it, my aunt is on it as well and she's been on it for 20 years her doctor fought to get it off the market for being an addicting drug and potentially harmful as well. But when I'm on it I feel fine for the most part, but if I had to do all over again I would've told my Dr to put me on something else."

scarwal August 14, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "This was indeed the scariest medication ever. I started it and the first two weeks were too much. I had the normal beginning-taking-New-antidepressant side effects but I'd have hallucinations in the dark. Things would move and sway and melt together. It began to make me numb over the five years I took this medicine. I couldn't "feel" anything. All I wanted to do was sleep and sit there and zone out. I felt as though I was in limbo. They tried all doses and absolutely nothing changed. Not only that, I would miss a day and it was a nightmare. Eventually I cut myself off of it in the way the doctor told me to. Scariest experience ever. Worst few weeks of my life. I still had nighttime hallucinations, I felt like I was falling off a skyscraper."

Raven lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 10, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I was on this medication for 2 years and I felt great..no anxiety.. I weaned off over 3 months and have totally been off for 3 month.. All my issues came back. Just started back today fingers crossed it works again. I should have never stopped taking. It was a life changer"

Melissa114 August 9, 2015

For Anxiety: "I've been on Lexapro 20mg and Vistiril 100mg for about 2 years. They worked at first but I kept having to take higher doses without any results (those were the ending doses). Went to my doctor and she gave me Effexor 75mg in place of Lexapro and it's working wonders! Absolutely 0 anxiety. She gave me the benzo Klonopin as well, but I barely have to use it because Effexor is doing the trick. It's wonderful to have my life back again, and I thank God for giving me a medication that works."

GoJoGoJo August 7, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Was switched to this after the generic version by ranbaxy was discontinued. Developed symptoms of tolerance straightaway. It causes my brain to scream out in pain all the time and I keep getting unwanted thoughts. I also developed muscular aches and pains all over and other drugs just kept causing my muscles to contract and be unable to relax. I tried stopping many times but kept returning cuz of the nausea and vomiting and all the other symptoms above. I have been off it for about three months and have been back on it for three days. Already I hear my brain screaming out in pain and the unwanted thoughts return. The muscle aches seem to occur only in conjunction with another drug. I am taking it only because of the grief I feel in my heart"

suicidejean (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 7, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Year 1 no effect on my weight, years 2 & 3 I experienced steady weight gain (15kg / 33 pounds). Other main side effects were: somnolence, swearing, electric-shock sensations in my brain and my body, twitching. However, SSRIs had never worked well for me, and venlafaxine was a fantastic alternative. I became very complacent in general on this drug. The withdrawal symptoms I had were horrendous - it was like coming off narcotics. . Vomiting, shaking, muscle spasms, everything hurt. At one point drifting in and out of consciousness. But if I hadn't taken venlafaxine I probably wouldn't be here today. I would take it again if I had to. Dose 150mg. Female, I was 27 when I went on Effexor XR and 30 when I stopped. I turn 31 next week."

Little skitty (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I was on Effexor for over 10 yrs. I finally got off this in Dec. 2013 and as of today, July 2015, I'm still having those brain zips several times a day. Last July, I started with a vibration and severe pain in my feet. It's all nerve connected and I think it's from long term use of Effexor. This medication works great for depression but the side effects are not worth it."

KYL August 4, 2015

For Depression: "I've taken Effexor/venlafaxine for at least 18 years & I've never felt the desire to change. I have pretty severe depression as well as anxiety. Since venlafaxine treats both conditions, it has worked well. I feel best when I take it quite early in the morning, with luck, an hour before I have to get up--mornings are the WORST time for me. I advise getting a dog or two (I have 2 Rottweilers). They rouse me to let them out to pee around dawn so that's when I swallow my venlafaxine. By 7 or 7:30 am, the meds are working & the dogs are making me laugh. I cannot recommend dogs enough as a complementary add-on to venlafaxine for depression/anxiety. Truly, they are 'therapy dogs' for our kind. Very worth it."

nicky nickname (taken for 10 years or more) August 2, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I was prescribed Effexor for anxiety and depression and while it does work in some ways, it is not worth it. I was taking 75 mg once a day and it seemed to make me feel calmer and a little more at ease at first, but the side effects made me decide to stop it, and coming off was terrible. My side effects were inability to get any good sleep, taking forever to climax during sex, and never being able to get anything done. The overall feeling I felt was that everything just seemed blunted. Once I stopped the withdrawals were horrible. I felt hungover for about 4 days. In addition to that during the withdrawal time I would sometimes feel like I could just explode and punch a hole in the wall for no reason. Would never try again."

Adam m July 29, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I had always been afraid of trying such drugs, but when everything became so bad that I couldn't cope with it anymore, my doctor prescribed me venlafaxine. It is bringing me back to normal! I feel relieved, no more everyday crying. But I still have my anxiety and take phenazepam occasionally for that reason. Let's see what happens after a half a year treatment. Currently taking 75mg. 9 out of 10 points is because I need more time to orgasm that I needed before starting on the pills"

Vlastelin (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2015