User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 39 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 1 reviews 5 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 710 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been on EffexorXR 300mg since August of last year. I must say it has been a bumpy ride at best. I gave it an 8 because although it has been fairly effective for my suicidal outlook on life, it has not really done a whole lot for my depression. I still have overlap symptoms meaning that all my symptoms of depression are still there I just don't feel like I want to die. As for side effects, in the first few weeks all I was was tired, but after the initial few weeks it subsided. After that I really am no help because I went through the tribulation of finding a good anti-anxiety medication. I really do think I am alive now because of the EffexorXR. No improvement in qol because I still deal day to day with depression, but not suicidal."

Kelentaria (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "only antidepressant that works for me"

be2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Don't like it as I can't have a orgasm. I will be stwiching to something else"

wildcat7786 June 28, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "Taking Effexor made absolutely no difference in the frequency of my hot flashes. However, it did seem to make the hot flashes slightly less intense. My physician increased my dosage to see if it would make any difference. The increased dose did not make any difference. Withdrawing from Effexor is not pleasant. I started weaning off the medication almost 2 months ago and have not taken any of the medication for a week and am experiencing extreme fatigue and dizziness. I've been reading withdrawal experiences online and have learned that this could go on for several weeks. I wish I had never tried the medication."

Sister Belle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2015

For Anxiety: "29Year Old Male - Quite a bubbly person really but suffer with bad periods of Anxiety and Depression with a lot of Self Confidence issues. I have tried all types of SSRI Fluoxetine, Citalipram, Escitalopram, Propranolol (Beta- Blocker) and none of them seemed to work or do anything about the anxiety. Suffered with Dizzyness Lack of motivation breathing problems, twitches and emotional problems. Within a week of taking venlafaxine I felt brilliant with hardly any side effects. Little bit sweaty during the day and a slight headache at first but they really do make an impact. I have heard a lot about coming off them but I will take each day as it comes and stay on these for as long as advised. Definitely rate these tablets."

GazzaDe (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I took this drug a few years ago when I was 18, I stopped having panic attacks but still felt anxious at times but i was still much more outgoing. I feel like it made me want to drink all the time, but i felt much better then i did without it. I remember waking up one morning and thinking this is what normal people without depression feel like. I stopped taking it after about a year because I felt like it was working and I didn't have any withdraw symptoms except one day where I felt like I had the stomach flu for one day/ feeling severely depressed a few months after taking it. I have been on 37.5 mg for a month now and just started 75. gives me restless legs and a little insomnia, not much difference in depression but i feel less anxious"

buns4life June 23, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "Effexor stopped my panic attacks almost completely. It's also great for post-menopausal hot flashes. Like others said, you can't miss a dose, but other than that it's amazing. A total life-changer."

So Happy I Found This! June 21, 2015

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed anti-depressants for menopausal symptoms, then came the anxiety. My doctor prescribed Venlafaxine. At first it was great, but over the years I am have so many of the side effects of this drug. I didn't realize until now that having difficulty swallowing was a side effect. I've gained weight and can't lose it. I'm not at all the person I was before. Missing a dose required me to call in sick from work, not to mention how terrifying it was. This drug is wrecking my body!! I'm weaning off. Anyone that has done this, please help! Seeing my Dr. Gotta get off!!!"

Poypu (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 21, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've never taken another medication for my depression (which usually manifests itself in anxiety) so I can only compare it to not being on medication. It has, overall, changed my life for the better. I suffered for over ten years before I finalIy sought help and I haven't had a panic attack since I began taking it. Also, I no longer feel sad for reasons I can't explain, and, in all other ways, am still myself. The only problem: a significantly lowered libido. It doesn't bother me that much, but it certainly bums my boyfriend out. However, I believe that my anxiety and depression were more detrimental to a healthy relationship than the lowered libido is."

EatingLemons June 21, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "In the last year I had a diagnosis of myofacial pain syndrome, now its fibromyalgia. I am not convinced HMO doctor knows. Other than pain I have a variety of other symptoms, just none are mental health related. I have been told to take up to 225mg but now reduced in last week to 75 mg before I read of the withdrawal symptoms. So far I am fine but am concerned now that I might be overwhelmed reducing under 75 mg. Doing this on own since doctor said it is up to me."

Annesa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I'm currently 18 years old, 8 months ago I had to leave my college due to alcoholism. I started drinking around a year ago because I found out my grandfather had a 30 year affair with a different woman whilst he was working away. He had kids with her and it devastated me as I never knew my father and always looked up to him because he was the only male role model I had. I've been on numerous anti-depressants since that time and this is the only one that allows me to leave the house and experience the beauty of life. I'm moving away from my hometown next month with my mother to a bigger place with lots of supportive relatives. I'm looking forward to a new environment and returning to college to resume studies. I'm now off alcohol."

zak96 June 20, 2015

For Depression: "Moderately effective, but didn't do enough to tolerate the "brain lag" and fatigue, among other side effects, it caused. Would have been higher if coming off of it wasn't utter torture."

TheMeerkat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 19, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I had to restart Effexor for the 4th time and it still works very well. My depression started to lift by the second week. The last time it took longer - about a month - before I felt any relief, it all depends. If the period of time before depression is one full of stress, longer, with many irritations, then it takes a little longer for Effexor to work. This 4th time it was only a sudden stressful situation with my mother's health - she was diagnosed with cancer - that sank me into depression. Somehow Effexor worked again and I thank God for that. The side effects for me are almost not worth mentioning and exercise helps a lot. I feel like myself again and some joy of life is back. I first took Effexor in 2005 and I'm glad it still works."

zepman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Trying Effexor was the worst decision of my life. I was on Celexa for about a year and noticed it becoming less and less effective so I talked with my doctor and he convinced me to try Effexor. The first few months I experienced nightmares, cold sweats, grogginess, lack of motivation, and memory loss. After 6 months I wasn't even the same person anymore. I had no emotion, no sex drive, and completely lost all hope. The only reason I stayed on it was because I knew the withdrawal was so miserable. A couple months ago I had an incident where I attempted suicide and had no choice but to switch medications. It took me about a month to get off the Effexor and the withdrawal was absolute misery. Please, if you have a choice do NOT try Effexor."

Madison295 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 12, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I was switched from Prozac to this (150mg) and it is amazing! It really helped me but I will say DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE IT! my side effects of missing one day were these really weird dreams and horrible headache but if I was off of it for more than a day I felt super dizzy."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "HORRIBLE!! Dr. put me on 37.5mg for my Anxiety and Depression took one around 6pm and woke up at 2:30am feeling like I was on crack. Got to work at 7am and my Boss asked me what was wrong with me. My pupils were as dilated as they could be and my eyes were bugging out I continued to feel spun out most of the day. Started feeling better around 8pm and was able to sleep thru the night but woke up with a Migraine and could not focus. WILL NEVER TOUCH THIS STUFF AGAIN!!!"

Anxiety and Depression (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Please listen to me when I say that "never start this medication"!!!!! I was reluctant to try this only because a friend of mine talked to me about the withdraws. I (at the time) didn't have any plans on coming off of it so I thought....what the hay. I was going through a difficult time in my life and needed something to help my anxiety and depression that came from hurting those around me from my anxiety. This medication changed me. I didn't see it at the time. It made me completely numb to everything around me. Yes I could cry but did I really "feel" hurt? It caused me to leave a very amazing job that I was only at for 6 months...kinda one of those lifetime opportunities that I could kick myself for screwing up. Awful medication!!!!!!!"

alynch1213 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have taken either Zoloft or venlafaxine since 2000. It has made my IBS nonexistent. Always had a queasy feeling before and horrible IBS for years. Definitely improved my QOL."

CGR2009 June 9, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "My practitioner was not allowed by the HMO to diagnose or treat fibromyalgia. She had to wait until my pain, fatigue and brain fog threatened my job and stressed me to the point of flunking the mental health quiz they give us. After the initial side effects, which I decribe as "itchy blood", I was more mobile and clear-headed, sleeping and waking on a normal schedule. I've never done that before. The withdrawals are weird, so I keep the old bottle handy from when I switched to time-release. I didn't realize how much pain I had been trying to cope with until the first time I ran out."

Bossmom June 9, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I'm writing this review hoping this medication will help someone else. I remember sleepless night looking up reviews on all antidepressant medications and effexor did really work. Had the worst depression in my short 27 years of life, this medication help me lift up and get back to work. I went on short term disablitly for about two months due to the extreme depression had no interest in life what so ever. Got back to work and even got a promotion several months later. Thank God for this medication and for the strength he gave me through the process."

BC2015 June 9, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been on this medication for over 4 years. I changed to Celexa during that time for a short time but soon had to get back on it. It is true that if you go off it you won't be pleasant to deal with. You become irritable and emotional sort of like the way you were before you started the medication. Overall it really works and I have suffered from depression since my teens."

Kathy M. June 7, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "Downside of this med is the first few days, it's tough getting in a regular sleeping sync, it can cause nausea without food or with too much water at one time, and you can't go off abruptly or start taking large doses right away because it can have side effects. However, this medication leaves an unbelievable amount of satisfaction feeling after it takes effect. It took effect on me instantly, but that's my body. I take it midday or late morning after a good meal so it doesn't interrupt my sleep as much. If you don't have slow release, splitting it up might be a good idea, with at least a few hours in between. It prevents me from overeating, but it also prevents me from starving myself because if I don't eat enough I'll feel nauseated."

Munraito June 4, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I started taking effexol 4 years ago to take the edge off my anxiety because my job is stressful and I have to shoulder a lot of responsibility. I am on a daily 75mg dose. Overall, I have found it to be a great leveller, but the consequences of missing one dose is bad... missing 2 or 3 is pretty horrific, with head shocks, disorientation and feeling miserable. Really miserable. It's good medication, but do not forget it if you are travelling."

Paddy Irishman June 2, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Effexor has been the most effective antidepressant for me. I've tried 5 SSRI's. Effexor doesn't make me lazy or spaced out. I feel it helps my cognitive functioning, as well as focus, motivation and memory. I will go off effexor for periods of time, plenty of time for my brain/body to reset, but I keep finding it better to be on Effexor. It's helped me to not be so negative, irritable and just miserable overall. I can feel its slight pain killing effects as well. It keeps me doing things instead of laying in bed ruminating negative thoughts. Side effects for me are constipation and lower libido. Miralax fixes the first one. As for the second one, before Effexor I wasn't socializing at all anyways, so the I can handle that side effect."

RegularBachelor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 2, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "I had a hysterectomy over 25 years ago and was on HRs since then. However, I am on medicare and they don't easily cover HR prescriptions for women over 65. I quit taking them last summer and since have suffered with hot flashes, night sweats...waking up every 2 hours drenched with sweat. I went back to my doctor to ask about getting back on HRs and she suggested that I try Effexor 37.5mg for a month to see if it would help. Well, the first couple of weeks my hot flashes disappeared. But as my body adjusted to the medication, the hot flashes started coming back. I now have 2 or 3 during the day and sometimes 1 at night but I find that is tolerable. My doctor said she could up the dosage if I wanted but I said no, I was fine with it."

annoysmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2015