User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 604 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Postpartum Depression: Effexor XR worked great at treating my Postpartum Depression - within 6 weeks of taking it, it was gone. I did have a lot of problems eating on this, though, which was the reason I stopped taking it.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 8:14 PM

Review by stoked:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Been taking this for years, helps me out a lot.

December 5, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by Kazzawan62 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Hot Flashes: I have taken these for three days and my hot flashes stopped within 48 hrs fantastic

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2014 5:35 PM

Review by getmebettersoon:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Its early days but I have over the last 12 months tried mirtazapine and citalpram. I'm currently on a low dose but I suspect my GP will want to up my dose.

November 22, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by TeTee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Hot Flashes: I have been on Effexor 37.5 mg for three months for Hot Flashes. After my first bedtime dose, I was feeling lightheaded and a little jittery the next morning but those symptoms went away after three days. Before Effexor I would wake up several times a night due to the Hot Flashes. I am a totally different person and a pleasure to be around. I am dating again after a two year hiatus and the medication has not affected my sex drive.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 9:16 PM

Review by Hullaboo:

For Anxiety: I used to be strong and positive. Many deaths in the family including my daughter. And terrible post traumatic stress disorder and PND meant I wasn't coping with life. Panic attacks sent me to hospital. I was convinced I was going to have a cardiac arrest. Started on 37.5mg then progressed to 75. Brilliant stuff. I'm lucky in that I have had no side effects and I feel like a new person. Highly recommended.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 7:02 AM

Review by sailor70 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Have been on a lot of different antidepressants for anxiety. Most meds made my condition worse (making me more hyper) or made me 'not care' (eg citalopram). Although it's been hard getting used to Effexor - it made me very sick for the first few weeks and affected my sleep - I now feel more in control now than I've ever been before.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: It gave me my life back. I once again live life

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2014 7:30 AM

Review by missykfish (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have taken medications for 10 years, and they have, basically, helped me cope with depression. Effexor is outstanding. I take it in the morning, and it helps all day.

October 25, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by KATYJAMES:

For Depression: I started taking Venlafexine 75 mg daily 5 weeks ago for Major Depressive Disorder. I was first tried on Prozac 40 mg and it did not help at all. For several months I was feeling constantly exhausted, no energy, no motivation, crying, and missing a lot of work. On the 2nd week of Venlafexine I noticed I wasn't feeling so exhausted and starting to get my energy back. I am now on week 5 and feeling like myself again. I'm able to get through work and come home and take care of things around the house. Where before I was leaving work early and going straight to bed. I am very glad my doctor started me on this medication. Before the Prozac I had never been on any medication before. I have had no side effects or weight gain.

October 24, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by The cardiac nurse:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I started this medicine in nursing school. Very much so needed. I started seeing myself with less worry, and a more of a "whatever" type of mentality. I figured that worked for me. However, my biggest problem has been the weight gain. Before I knew it I gained atleast 25 lbs. I'm a very active person and I do what wait I eat, especially since I am a cardiac nurse. Also make sure you NEVER miss a day of the medication. My side effects would be vertigo and shooting nerve pains in my head. I just upped my dosage to 150mg hoping it will increase my energy and help with weight loss. I was really bad off emotionally before so besides everything above, I have my life back.

October 23, 2014 11:30 PM

Review by nynyer (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Worked quite well for sometime. Had side effects which were attributed to another medicine I was on at the time. Through trial and error it was discovered the other medicine was not at fault. I was having kidney problems along with frequent edema in my legs and feet. Also constant mucus and tightness in throat. Helped with depression but side effects became serious. Also weight gain. Dr tapered me off this medicine.

October 19, 2014 8:46 AM

Review by j1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Celexa stopped working and I was put on Effexor. My panic attacks are worse then they have ever been, my depression is totally off the charts and I physically shake all the time. The irritability is by far the worst part for me. I'm forever angry now on this medication. My friends and family have noticed a big difference in my personality. Definitely getting of of this medication!

October 13, 2014 9:16 AM

Review by Lynn2713:

For Fibromyalgia: I was so surprised...within 4-5 days the major discomfort from fibromyalgia was nearly gone. I could sleep more comfortably and did not feel like the princess and the pea when I laid down. I hope it continues.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2014 4:29 PM

Review by WasHopeless (taken for less than 1 month):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I started taking Effexor XR about two weeks ago on a very low dose. I am also taking Levbid twice a day. Between those two, my symptoms are almost non existent. The doctor wants to raise the dosage next week and I am ok with that since it is supposed to help my anxiety, which is a trigger for my irritable bowel syndrome symptoms. I will say, the first week, the side effects were horrible. I had the enlarged pupils, nauseous, constipation, and dizziness. They went away exactly at the 7 day mark and now I am starting to have hope I can have a normal life once again.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 8:38 AM

Review by Suecmt:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have been taking the generic, Venlafaxine for about 6 years. My doctor settled on 75 mg once daily, as increasing the dosage makes my hands tremble. It is not nearly as effective as it once was. Withdrawals for this medication are hellish. I ran out of pills on a few occasions and felt like I was losing mind. I really would like to slowly taper off and eventually be free of this medicine.

October 1, 2014 3:04 AM

Review by Cancer Crab:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Switched from Paxil 20mg to Effexor 75mg. On Paxil I just couldn't lose weight and my insurance wanted me to try an SRNI before they would pay for the newer meds like Brintellix. At first I noticed a decrease in anxiety THEN I went to work!! My job is very stressful and I have to be SPOT on!! First I noticed anxiety returning then that I was clumsy..dropping things! I then started noticing numbness and tingling in my fingers and then waking up with numb arms which would not wake up for up to 7hrs!!! I did some research and noticed that numbness/tingling of the extremities is a side effect for 20% of people taking Effexor. The numbness scared me to death! I immediately went to my Shrink and got off this damn drug! I'm going to Lexapro! Ugh!

September 23, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by Kayde:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Was so excited to try Effexor XL and did for the past 6 years. Well, I didn't realize that it made me anhedonia, or without feeling towards a lot of things. I just went on my merry way, but would do nothing....sat and watched TV, couldn't get anything done. Everything was just Great!.....that is what I thought....then I started gaining weight......gradually, but I mean 60-70# over the past 6 years or so.....but just kept on eating. Then I thought I have to do something about this. I gradually took myself off, but WOW the side effects of the withdrawl was unbelievable. My son told me never to do that again...and I told him see.....this medication has so changed me.....and I will never take that again....!Trying to lose this weight now

September 23, 2014 3:00 PM

Review by perfectbabylyahoo.com (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: Best medicine I have ever taken but tablets work best on me

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by Hollywood chica:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: The first week of the medication I felt myself thinking better, no excessive worries, no excessive thoughts of sadness and no pain. My mind was clear, my thoughts and emotions was where they need to be. I felt focused and alert. The only problem was I suffer from high blood pressure, which became out of control. Effexor even help with my night sweats. I have been depressed for over two years so I really struggled to keep things in order. If I could have continued with the medication I would have stayed on it. It worked for me in a lot of different ways.

September 21, 2014 6:26 AM

Review by triiv (taken for 10 years or more):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Though I could only check the MDD box, I also suffered from anxiety attacks and social anxiety. There were also several other problems that effexor XR seemed to control or help control. Depression is painful emotionally, mentally and physically, without the some kind of relief I would have been institutionalized. For maximum effectiveness, counseling by a person trained in all aspects of the disorder is the only one I found to help bring me back to a realistic understanding of how to heal. Interestingly, I found several psychiatrists that attempted counseling and were totally inept in their efforts.

September 20, 2014 3:02 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: Have been on Effexor xr 75mg for about 1 year now for anxiety & panic attacks. I had a constant odd pain in my stomach (like butterflys and hunger). I would sweat uncontrollably & get dizzy & faint if I was put in a situation I wasn't comfortable with. I went to a Dr. who diagnosed me with anxiety and put me onto Effexor. The first 3 days were hell, every bad review I read on Google I could relate to, I even ended up going to the ER one night as I felt so nauseous and felt like I was losing control and could not stop freaking out. The Dr told me to stick to it, and promised it would get better. I'm so glad I did. I feel that this medication has saved me. I can almost live a normal life again.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2014 3:30 AM

Review by cowbranch (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I use venlafaxine for major depression and to help with migraines. When on it my headaches have decreased.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 2, 2014 6:19 AM

Review by Nadey:

For Anxiety: I've had generalized anxiety disorder for 1 year now. Tried self medicating for 6 months. No help. Went on Lexapro and it was horrible. Waking up with worse anxiety than ever. Quit after 3 weeks. Now that I'm on venlafaxine for 3 weeks. Feeling much much better. A few side effects the first week but stick with it. They go away. Mostly felt tired and loss of apatite. This medicine is working.

September 1, 2014 9:43 AM

Review by supers:

For Depression: More effective than SSRIs. Needed experimentation over a long period for maintenance dosage. Any modifications to dosage were done in small amounts, as I experienced considerable side effects. We are all different and, this is key to interpreting personal experiences!

August 29, 2014 5:48 AM