User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 39 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 1 reviews 5 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 731 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Venlafaxine

For Depression: "I've taken Effexor/venlafaxine for at least 18 years & I've never felt the desire to change. I have pretty severe depression as well as anxiety. Since venlafaxine treats both conditions, it has worked well. I feel best when I take it quite early in the morning, with luck, an hour before I have to get up--mornings are the WORST time for me. I advise getting a dog or two (I have 2 Rottweilers). They rouse me to let them out to pee around dawn so that's when I swallow my venlafaxine. By 7 or 7:30 am, the meds are working & the dogs are making me laugh. I cannot recommend dogs enough as a complementary add-on to venlafaxine for depression/anxiety. Truly, they are 'therapy dogs' for our kind. Very worth it."

nicky nickname (taken for 10 years or more) August 2, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I had always been afraid of trying such drugs, but when everything became so bad that I couldn't cope with it anymore, my doctor prescribed me venlafaxine. It is bringing me back to normal! I feel relieved, no more everyday crying. But I still have my anxiety and take phenazepam occasionally for that reason. Let's see what happens after a half a year treatment. Currently taking 75mg. 9 out of 10 points is because I need more time to orgasm that I needed before starting on the pills"

Vlastelin (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been on 225mg for four years and I've liked it for the lack of side effects. Now I think it isn't working well. I'm kind of worried about 300mg."

Zoogie (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I just dropped in on the internet to see if their was something "better" or maybe "newer" than my Effexor, but after several sites I know I'm still in good hands. I've been on 150mg Effexor, or venlafaxine, for more than ten years and I've lived a normal life since the right-medication-finding game. Yes, the withdrawals within 24 hours are dizziness so bad you shouldn't drive, but I've asked my doctor to write a second prescription for the non-xr version in half strength and I keep that filled for emergencies, or it's open to fill in another city if I have to fill it unexpectedly. Or if I miss my dose and need it to kick in immediately"

EffexorUser July 27, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have just started on Venlafaxin less than a week ago. I was taking Paxil for the past 10 years. Paxil helped with my anxiety and panic attacks but in place seemed to intensify my depression. I sleep a lot, I have no life, I don't even want to be awake. I am very wary on changes, I never like to try new things, it just makes me very nervous. The Venlafaxin so far has been making me very light headed, cloudy minded and anxious. I know that with medications like these, it takes a while to really start working and I hope that is just the case. I hate the way I'm feeling right now, I feel like I'm not taking anything. I want the light head and cloudy mind feeling to go away. Please tell me this will start working."

Brittney1008 July 24, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I was put on this medication for anxiety and depression as I had previously been on lexapro 15mg for 3 years and had consistently had a insatiable appetite. I saw a pyc specialising in perinatal depression as I changed whilst pregnant. I started on 37.5mg of Effexor but needed to constantly increase 75.5mg then 112.5 mg as My biggest complaint on this medication was extreme aggression. I would get so angry I doubted my ability to not harm my children. I obviously saw my doc who has taken me off it, withdrawal was ok till back down to 37.5 mg. Please don't take this medication try everything else before this- side effects for withdrawal are awful I've just got off it and switched to Zoloft and 2nd day in already feeling better."

SD-positive thinker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was misdiagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and it turned out that I had Bipolar 2 Disorder. I take Effexor 150 mg for my Depression and Abilify 10 mg for my mood swings and anxiety. It works pretty well, but I do have restlessness and random hyperness at times, especially around my period. I'd recommend it."

Carr92 July 23, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder: "First diagnosed in 1965, when a student in London, I was treated with group therapy (useless) and eventually with whatever else was considered to have antidepressant properties at the time (useless). Various MDs in Singapore and Dallas tried whatever was new, but nothing helped. In 2001, after a rather dramatic and public breakdown at a conference of my peers, I was admitted to a psychiatric ward and given 300 mg of Venlafaxine daily. It wasn't a happy pill, but it enabled me to make the most of the CBT that was offered, and allowed me to feel "normal" at last."

cambg July 22, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "My experience with Effexor was absolutely terrible. I was prescibed this for my depression (3rd medication I tried) The reason I gave it 2/10 was because I didn't feel any worse mentally on this (did not feel the slightest bit better either), but if it wasn't for that I would have given it a 0/10 if possible. The side effects and withdrawal was absolutely terrible. The head "zaps" started to cause unbearable migraines, I had no appetite, and my vision was blurred some days. The withdrawal was something I've never experienced before and I hope that I will never have to go through it again. I was completely bed ridden due to the unbearable migraines, sweating, and vomiting. Everyone is different, but this did not work out for me."

Jessie62 July 20, 2015

For Depression: "I love venlafaxine is so effective its only been the 4 day on it n I feel like i used to b it works for depression and anxiety I recommend any one the suffers from anxiety and depression to try venlafaxine the first 2days is rough but hang on to it and you'll see results its so worth it"

Jose valdez July 18, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been through the gamut of antidepressant meds. Celexa, Lexapro, cymbalta, Zoloft, fetzima and several others over the last 13 years. My doctor kept leading me away from Effexor because of the bad withdrawals it has. This drug is working pretty well so far. My insurance lapsed tho once. I went without meds for 4 days and I was on a high dose. She was right about those withdrawals. The worst I've ever had. Severe nightmares, sweats, extremely low energy, brain zaps, every noise would set my head in a tailspin. I've had pain med withdrawal and benzo withdrawal and nothing compares to coming of this med. Thankfully my insurance kicked back in and after a day and half I was starting to feel better again. It works. But not w/o risks"

lasthope83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2015

For Depression: "I've been taking Venlafaxine XR (the generic version of Effexor XR) for exactly one month now and I can honestly say that I haven't felt this normal in a long, long time. I started out taking 37.5 mg for seven days, and then my dose was increased to 75 mg where it has thus far remained. Upon start up I had no adverse side effects other than fatigue. I take my pill every night with dinner, and although I do have trouble sleeping at times, it is not consistent. I was also given a prescription for 0.5 mg lorazepam as a "bridging" medication to take only when needed. Overall I would recommend Venlafaxine. Don't believe all the scary things you read about it. I was scared too but quite honestly I feel it has improved my life."

Dubzlee (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "Was put on a high dose of 375mg and find it overestimulating not good for my anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I am not only trying to help my depression but I'm trying to find something to help my ADHD symptoms. ... my psychiatrist said this would help as a non stimulant because I am really sketchy about trying adderall or something similar. Well my experience with Venlafaxine was that I developed twitches! Involuntary twitching is incredibly annoying. ... so back to fluoxetine. I did feel more focused... but the twitching is not tolerable enough for me"

Tisa12345678910 July 12, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My doctor started me out on the 37.5 and now I am on 75 mg.I love my venlafaxine and I love my doctor. For the first time I feel hopeful I don't feel stuck in my head all the time. Most of all don't sit around with my body all tensed up jaws clenched.I used to stay sore from tensing up. Not waking up scared and wired anymore I am getting my life back if I stay on this for life I am good with that."

Raegan over the rainbow (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 12, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I have not been able to stay awake for more than a few hours at a time and so depressed that I couldn't go out in public But since I have been taking Effexor I am 100% better. I am a new person. I want to get out and do things and I sense of well being. I love this feeling!! its like a new me. I am better than ever."

Blakesmammy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Works Pretty well. Yet Its Terribly Hard To Stop The Pill. Horrible WithDrawls"

Miss Ash (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 10, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been in Effexor for twelve years and it's been very effective until just recently. (I think my body has grown too used to it.) When it was still able to effect me, it was super useful. The bad part is that you'll suffer from withdrawal symptoms if you don't take it for over 24 hours. I ran out in college for FIVE DAYS (I lived in one city and my psychiatrist was in another) and I was miserable - chills, weird dreams, everything. Never let it run out and never forget to take it. Otherwise it's a good medicine."

Solosis July 10, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been on medication since 18 yrs old and this is by far the best than I've taken. And it really works!! The side effects are unconfortable however in the beginning. But once they are gome I feeled good. I've started with 75mg was not enough. Once I was on 150mg the magic operates.And now I have been on 225mg for about 6 months. So far so good. I recommend it. Best thing that happened to me in a while."

Katos1984 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I really love the outcome of venlafaxine er and I'm currently on 225mg and I was diagnosed 2 years ago with Dysthymia and it's helped a whole lot for me and it's helped me make a positive turnaround and meeting the love of my life. I would definitely recommend effexor (venlafaxine) I feel like a new person."

jaci ar (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2015

For Depression: "This medication works wonders for me along with my Vyvanse."

jaci ar July 8, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been on EffexorXR 300mg since August of last year. I must say it has been a bumpy ride at best. I gave it an 8 because although it has been fairly effective for my suicidal outlook on life, it has not really done a whole lot for my depression. I still have overlap symptoms meaning that all my symptoms of depression are still there I just don't feel like I want to die. As for side effects, in the first few weeks all I was was tired, but after the initial few weeks it subsided. After that I really am no help because I went through the tribulation of finding a good anti-anxiety medication. I really do think I am alive now because of the EffexorXR. No improvement in qol because I still deal day to day with depression, but not suicidal."

Kelentaria (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "only antidepressant that works for me"

be2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Don't like it as I can't have a orgasm. I will be stwiching to something else"

wildcat7786 June 28, 2015

For Hot Flashes: "Taking Effexor made absolutely no difference in the frequency of my hot flashes. However, it did seem to make the hot flashes slightly less intense. My physician increased my dosage to see if it would make any difference. The increased dose did not make any difference. Withdrawing from Effexor is not pleasant. I started weaning off the medication almost 2 months ago and have not taken any of the medication for a week and am experiencing extreme fatigue and dizziness. I've been reading withdrawal experiences online and have learned that this could go on for several weeks. I wish I had never tried the medication."

Sister Belle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2015