User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 40 medications

5.8
Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 977 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been taking Effexor for 13 months now. Initially I was prescribed 75 mg while hospitalized at an inpatient psychiatric facility but that was increased to 150 mg by the time I was discharged. Never in my life have I felt this way - normal!! My crying spells, anhedonia, suicidal ideations, psychosis... it's all gone gone gone! This medication has saved my life. I am so happy to take my meds every morning."

NurseSlacky (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 26, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on this medication for 3months and it has given back my life! Prozac, celexa, zoloft didn't help with my depression or anxiety. After years of being on these types of medication I must say this medication 300mg daily has given back my life! I was an emotional eatter since I have been Venlafaxine er I have managed to lose 20pounds.. Down side it does it gives me insomnia sometimes I take Tazadone for sleep.."

Cc2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been taking venlafaxine 150mg xr for nearly 3 years along with an antipsychotic to treat bipolar 2. Having tried all kinds of anti depressants this is the one that's worked for me. The down side is the withdrawal symptoms should you miss a dose but these go away as soon as you take it again. Dizzy spells/feeling drunk is the only way I can describe them. It has a short half life of 7 hrs which indicates that they have these symptoms. I've had no side effects & would recommend venlafaxine over other antidepressants inc citelopram & mirtazipine."

Pollyp82 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: "I've been on this for 9 yrs, i take 150mg 3 times a day, i've missed sometimes up to 2 doses with no side effects. i would be dead today if it weren't for this pill, that's the god's honest truth. Only side effect I can think of is I've gained a few pounds. Love Love this medication"

BrittMiller (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 24, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I suffered depression and anxiety at a very difficult time in my life 5 years ago and have been on efexor 75mg since then... it took the edge off highly stressful situations and helped me to cope in a calm and positive way :) Life has been good since then, even though family problems have endured (thankfully to a lesser extent)... side effect of nausea was to be expected during first few weeks but after that no problems at all... effexor has been a wonder for me... :):):)"

pealove May 23, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I had been struggling with OCD and anxiety and rage issues for a very long time. I decided to get help after my daughter was born. I was put on a myriad of different pills until Effexor. It calmed me down, and my OCD is almost non-existent. But miss a dose and you will be sick like you've never felt before! Think of the worst flu you ever had...it's kinda like that but worse. And all the anxiety comes back in full force. It has really helped me to function, but I would never have gotten on it if I knew how bad it was to get off it. Try everything else before taking this. It will help but at what cost?"

Ndec May 18, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Diagnosis: a Chronic Clinical Depressive with a 40 year history who does not react to meds in a typical manner. After 6 months of juggling meds weekly at the clinic, finally got relief with a daily dose of 150 mg Effexor XR. Have not had Any episode of Depression since 2003. The side effects are more than tolerable as a tradeoff to be the happiest people on this planet instead of in perpetual hell."

iamerletheperle (taken for 10 years or more) May 15, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Since 6 weeks I suffer from a terrible depression and anxiety :-( I had to quit work. I sleep bad and have no appetite. I have a history with depression, but it was never severe like this. My first depression was at age 26, Im now 53. I've had jobs and partners...many times jobless or working as a volunteer. If I reduced the stress my depression vanished but now I don't have stress YET depression is still here, I don't understand. Well, I had a brief affair that caused my lots of stress and my psychologist says I have a reactive depression. I doubt everything. I'm now for 2 weeks on Effexor, and for anxiety I get oxazepam. The psychiatrist wants me to level up to 225 mg within 6 weeks. If it wasn't for the tranquilizer I'd go mad probably :("

Bert1963 May 14, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Postpartum Depression: "after the birth of my second child and moving states away due to husbands job change I had HORRIBLE anxiety, what I thought was ONLY anxiety. I wouldn't leave the house for weeks on end. Finally 6 months later my husband and I agreed that I needed to seek help, being on medication was not something that I wanted, but something that I may need. At my first appointment I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety. I was started in 37.5mg of Effexor and .5mg Klonopin! I'll admit! The first week ish, was hell, as it should be... For anyone to take a new medication to treat this type of issue its going to be tough. After those couple weeks I noticed a good change. Then it leveled out and I now take 75mg, this medication Is working so well!"

2ndTimeMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Horrific side effects and incredibly difficult to wean off of as well because of the withdrawal symptoms. When I first started taking it, I felt some relief but it didn't last very long. I'd taken Lexapro and Zoloft in the past and felt that, over time, they were no longer helpful in treating my depression which is why my doctor put me on Effexor. It took me a while to realize this medication was worsening my depression symptoms and I didn't realize it until after a botched suicide attempt. I don't recommend this medication to ANYONE for any reason. Worst of the worst as far as I'm concerned. It'll trick your brain for a little while into thinking you're improving but the depression and anxiety will come back and hit you ten times worse!"

cd87925 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "The generic medication does not help my hot flashes. I'm taking 37.5mg twice daily. The brand worked so much better, but the price went up dramatically. I really don't want to up the dosage, but these hot flashes are happening too often now. So, it's higher dose or live through the hot flashes. Hot flashes will not win."

PugMug May 11, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "Hi, my name is Jess. I've had anxiety/panic attacks and depression for over 20 years now. My anxiety was so bad I had to be homeschooled. I've taken Prozac, paxil and neither worked and had bad mood swings on paxil. My doctor suggested something newer, it was effexor. He said he has had good results with it. So I tried it, heck I would of tried anything to make my anxiety go away. I was on effexor (75mg) for 10 years and it worked for me. No side effects except being tired at first. No more anxiety/panic attacks or depression but maybe a very few short episodes. I was happy and enjoying things I was held back from for so many years. Effexor changed my life, literally. If I did miss a dose I felt tired, depressed and the "zaps.""

anxiety loves me May 9, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Been taking this RX for a week it was prescribed for back pain and possible fibromyalgia my pain has improved 50%."

Yoha B May 7, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I was having bad anxiety for a couple of months. I was unable to sleep, and was pacing the floors a lot. I got on a low dose of Effexor (37.5mg), and my anxiety disappeared within a week. I did not have many side affects. I got a little sweaty the first week, and felt a little foggy. That went away quickly."

JCT62 May 7, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "It took 3 years to figure out that it was the Effexor that was causing my constipation. I was given MORE prescriptions to counter-act, but that just didn't work-actually moved me to beyond the other end of the spectrum. After forgetting a dose and experiencing the withdrawal symptoms, I immediately wanted to get off, but because I really didn't have any other options, I just continued on. I have tried many other different medications to help cope with depression and anxiety-Effexor seemed to work on the brain, but what it did to my guts is far worse. Multiple imaging, ER visits, unnecessary surgery and even a trip to the Mayo Clinic to figure out why I couldn't poop. To me, Effexor is POISON"

dgd84 May 5, 2016

For Depression: "Thus drug is the most horrid thing I have ever been on, so far been taking 75mg for two weeks to help with my depression, I feel like a zombie always tired and always weak, just feel like vomiting or my head is pounding! Would not recommend for anyone."

Brookiecookie702 May 4, 2016

For Depression: "I started this medication a month ago for anxiety and depression. Immediately I started feeling different during the first few days of taking this medication. But once i started taking the medication, I started feeling better. I still had episodes of anxiety, stress, and depression, but they were more manageable. The only negative side effects were yawning, dry mouth and inability to remain asleep during the night. My GP decided to have me switch over to sertraline this past weekend due to the trouble of sleeping. I am currently on day 3 of sertraline, and I don't feel quite like I was when taking venlafaxine. Need to give it more time. At least I know this one will work if need to switch back."

Somepenguin369 May 2, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Effexor XR is the best thing that's happened to me since my life went to hell in a hand basket a few months back. It dragged me back from the edge. And I was lucky, I started improving at the 2 week mark. Most people take up to a month to notice a difference. (Although those 2 weeks waiting were horrible, especially since I didn't know if it would do anything). What it's helped with: severe depression, severe anxiety, panic attacks, and that heightened startle reflex. Side effects I experience on 75mg: night sweats, occasional shakes (these have gotten less over time), and occasional nausea (again, less over time). There have also been some seriously vivid dreams/nightmares, but I've also got PTSD. *shrugs* Could easily be either."

ARaine14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "So I started Effexor XR tonight for my anxiety that I deal with and let me just say NEVER EVER AGAIN!! For two hours I felt fine, went to bed and suddenly was awaken by intense nausea so I sat up to wake my child's father(who stayed the night since we didn't know how this new med would affect me) and as soon as I sat up my stomach came up. There was no wait time. It's been five hours since I took it. And I've been up throwing up for the last 45 mins. Not taking this crap again. I would honestly rather have be dealing with a panic attack at this point rather than this I can't even blink my eyes without vomiting crap!"

Lilbit1993 May 1, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My diagnosis: MDD. It is more of a situational depression. I can be ok for years, but as a single mom, business owner and a few family struggles, the stress sneaks up on me and before I know it, there's anxiety, loss of interest, agitation, guilt, shame and some paranoia. I Tried Zoloft and it was ok. Tried cetalophram and couldn't tell if it was working. A doctor gave me venlafaxine a few years ago. I took it for a year and almost took for granted how absolutely life changing this medication was. I lost my insurance when the prescription ran out, so I went without it for a few years. I went back on it last week and it worked again almost instantly. No side effects here just peace!"

Lisa marie p May 1, 2016

For Depression: "I have had some level of depression for decades. Also have some form of anxiety I have never understood as to why, PG calls it social anxiety. After being prescribed a series of anti-depressants for years I landed on Venlafaxine and have been taking it for 20 years 150 mg by GP Tried to stop gradually as GP required but found I must need it due to a chemical imbalance rather than a life situation. Only one minor side effect is dizziness. Can avoid this by eating something and drinking a full glass of water when taking it. Drink minimum 6-8 glasses of water a day, more if needed as this will also alleviate dizziness. I don't know how helpful it would be if my life fell apart completely. But it has worked fine for me all these years."

grevor (taken for 10 years or more) April 29, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: "GP recommended effexor when 7 months ago when I was going through some extremely stressful life events. The seroxat I was on for GAD for the previous 17 years was no longer effective & now I had become depressed. Effexor 37.5mg worked well at first, was upped to 70mg. Benefits: Immediately made me feel less depressed (hooray - no more tears), No panic attacks at all, Able to sleep all night. Costs: Felt like a zombie, Lost my spark, Didn't feel present when talking to people (the lights were on but no-one was in), Not bothered about anything including if I upset someone; More aggressive verbally (usually very placid person), Withdrawn (usually very social person). Withdrawal if missed dose was torture. Currently tapering off it."

Nellyfant (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Alittle over a year ago I started suffering from the worst depression I have ever had before this I had minor depression but more anxiety social anxiety ect. During this bad depression I felt like I would never get better and lost all hope stoped working and felt like I would never be the same person as I was. I was only 27 at that time with two daughters I would never commit suicide to to my belief But I felt like I couldnt go on as soon as I woke up from sleeping maybe few hours my mind was running and I hated every minute of being alive feeling like this. I was prescribed effexor and went back to work with in a week I stared feeling like this might work fast forward a year I got promotion at my job and no anxiety or depression now."

Cristian87 April 28, 2016

For Depression: "This is the only anti depressant I've ever been on and I've been on it for about 4 months now I've had about 4 seizures and I twitch as I'm falling asleep and in my sleep I shake uncontrollably, I've read a few reviews similar to mine only theirs were worse and have been hospitalized. I am a normal 20 year old healthy female I only suffer from depression and I'm on suboxone I am switching this weekend to Zoloft I put it off for so long because when I don't have these pills I feel extreme withdrawal and my head feels crazy and brain zaps all weird I can't handle being off it so I was scared to switch. But to each their own my personal experience with it wasn't good other than twitching it works."

Capcakes April 28, 2016

For Anxiety: "Just started taking Venflaxine for my anxiety. It made me very I'll, I was nauseas and vomiting for 2 days. I stopped taking the pill and felt 100% better. I think everyone reacts differently to certain medications, if you are someone with a sensitive stomach just be aware you might have this reaction."

Andy300 April 27, 2016