User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 561 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Review by My experience (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Effexor has changed my life. I have always had bad anxiety but it got out of control after a traumatic event 3 years ago. Finally decided I needed some help and was prescribed Effexor. I doubted it would help - I tried Lexapro a few years before and had awful panic attacks. I am so glad I was wrong and gave Effexor a chance! My anxiety has greatly decreased and I'm now able to function and think about things other than worries. I had some unexpected benefits too including reduced social anxiety, I'm more motivated, increased confidence, and a general feeling of happiness and well-being. No real negative side effects - I have lost about 15 pounds and I was a normal weight. I feel like this is how I should have been feeling all my life.

July 26, 2014 11:15 PM

Review by adam1994:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I'm 19 and have suffered with anxiety for three years or so. Previously had been on Prozac and Lexapro which were both hellish. Began taking Effexor XR two months ago and started feeling better two weeks through but out of no where the medication not only ceased to work but actually made my anxiety a lot worse. Have horrible agitation, depression, irritability and insomnia. Pity I could really do with an antidepressant than works!

July 24, 2014 8:50 PM

Review by AA2288:

For Anxiety and Stress: Took this for almost five months and noticed a major impact on my sex drive. I never ever wanted to have sex like at all. Gave me killer dry mouth and I gained 8 pounds. Quit taking it three weeks ago and sex drive is back to normal and no more dry mouth.

July 15, 2014 1:36 PM

Review by MawMaw10:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have been on Effexor XR 150 mg for 20 years it certainly has help with my suicidal thoughts and panic attacks. I also take 2 x 1mg of Xanax. I started seeing a new primary care doctor yesterday who thinks I should be taken off both since I have been on it for so long but I have read some awful things about the withdrawal problems and it makes me scared.

July 11, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by Cherno (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I started taking Effexor at age 19 after about 2 1/2 years on Prozac. The reason for the switch was that I developed anxiety problems at that age in addition to depression, and the Prozac was not treating the anxiety. Effexor works very well to treat both anxiety and depression but if I stop taking it for even 1-2 days (which is often because I am very forgetful) I become extremely depressed for the next 1-2 days. Right now I am in one such down swing after taking my Effexor for the first time in about 5 days. If you avoid doing that though you should be fine, the medication does help a lot.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 10, 2014 12:58 PM

Review by Maple Fritters:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: Went on Effexor for panic disorder/social anxiety caused by OCD. It was debilitating and the symptoms really affected my ability to go through life. I had been on other meds, which did not do much, so I was genuinely surprised and happy when the Effexor made a noticeable difference in the frequency and severity of my panic attacks. I have a few moments of panic now and then, but nothing as bad as it was. OCD is still there, but does not cause me too much distress or interrupt my life as much as it used to (and Effexor is not meant to treat OCD anyway). The side effect that got me the most was tiredness, so I was put on Wellbutrin to balance that out, and it seems to be working for me. The other side effects are entirely bearable.

July 10, 2014 12:43 AM

Review by Rob C (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: Switched to Effexor XR after having severe anxiety side effects with Prozac 20mg. With Prozac initial side effects, I didn't sleep for days, constant, ceaseless agitation and restlessness, ended up in ER for psych evaluation which has never happened to me before. Doctor switched me to Effexor XR 37.5 mg and on the second day I noticed that after taking the pill in the morning, by the afternoon I was much calmer, almost drowsy, which was an enormous relief after two weeks of severe anxiety. After two weeks on Effexor XR I'm doing much better; much less anxiety and worry. The PM drowsiness has gone too. I hope to stay on the low dose.

July 8, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by Just a teen:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been on this medicine since I was 13. I'm 17 now I'm on 225mg it helps my generalized anxiety disorder the most my other disorders not so much. I like this medicine more than any other, I have been on all of the ones you can be on under the age 18. I say 6 out of 10, I would tell anyone to try this first it will help.

July 2, 2014 1:20 AM

Review by zmb (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I'm taking this and Remeron for major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Nothing else has worked. I was on Wellbutrin for 2 years but it quit doing anything and after 4 medicine changes my doctor put me on this. Within a week I was not sulking around, I had energy to get off the couch and shower, and actually found I could laugh again! My husband has noticed the difference in my mood as well. I am having horrible sweats at night, and a little blurry vision along with nightmares/weird dreams. But I'm hoping that might fade some as I take it longer. I'm willing to deal with the side effects at this point as I'm getting myself and my life back.

June 29, 2014 8:22 PM

Review by LaniP392:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: This is the only medicine that totally helps me. I seldom have to take Alprazolam or Valium with the Effexor. I tried switching to Cymbalta for nerve pain..what a mistake. I am back on Effexor.

June 27, 2014 11:10 PM

Review by Flapjack:

For Hot Flashes: I've had intense hot flashes for 12 years. In addition to HRT (which worked fabulously during the 5 years I was on it), I tried Zoloft, Prozac, Remifemin, and Estroven with varying degrees of unspectacular success. So didn't expect much from Effexor, but within days of starting daily 37.5 dose, my hot flashes all but disappeared. Really, it's amazing. I've only been on it two weeks, so here's hoping it'll be effective for the long haul, which at this point, after 12 years, is looking like it will be the rest of my life. Geez, thanks, mom...

June 20, 2014 2:39 AM

Review by savvysandra (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Started on a new dose of 225mg 9 weeks ago at first didn't think it was working but slowly each day seems much better. Feel much happier & enjoying life again. This medication does not work over night, it can take a while but don't give up on them to quickly. Hang on in there & you will see the benefits. The only side affects I had was sweating & vivid dreams but these do subside over time.

June 13, 2014 7:09 AM

Review by Moochymama (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Day 4 of venlafaxine, 37.5mg at 6.30 am and 6.30pm. I have only just realised the importance of taking it at the same time if you are doing split doses. Previously I was taking as I woke up (5am) and before bed (10pm). Not good- headaches turned into full blown migraine. First dose I was sick immediately and was sweating, trembling slightly. I felt I could feel the chemicals literally swooshing around my brain and body. It was very strange. I calmed myself down, told myself to go with it. The rest of the day-fine. Day two, realized I had to EAT with the venlafaxine to ensure I wasn't sick. I've never been a big eater, but half a banana with a venlafaxine plus milk in between bites was enough to line my stomach. Much better this time.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2014 3:21 PM

Review by Lawrence Jones (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I am a physically healthy (runner) 25 year old male. I have never been mentally healthy, so I have tried antidepressants. I tried Prozac and Wellbutrin. Prozac didn't help or hurt ,but it gave me dangerous mood swings. I was prescribed Effexor 2.5 months ago. It seemed a perfect fit for me. I was wrong. I was on 75 mg each day. It actually made me sadder. I had no weight or sexual side-effects but had vertigo. The worst was CRIPPLING insomnia while taking it, and now I am close to 0 mg, but I still get night sweats and "brain zaps". As I write this, I've had 13 hours of sleep in the past 5 days.

June 1, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: This medicine had horribly painful withdrawals. The entire time I was taking it I cried all day every day. I kept asking my doctor if it was working and she kept raising the dose. I took myself off of this medication and found a better doctor.

May 27, 2014 9:06 AM

Review by Sykes (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Venlafaxine turned out to help my irritable bowel syndrome a lot in addition to the psychological part. I take 225mg a day at the moment, and the days I sometimes forget to take them it gets noticeable worse.

May 24, 2014 5:39 PM

Review by Emcee70 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I've had the greatest success for the longest period of time. I love how it's also a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. It seems to help more.

May 23, 2014 12:48 AM

Review by Gc6644 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I started this medication about 4 months ago after being on Prozac for 5 months. Antidepressants react differently for everyone, and I am happy to say I have had a very good experience with this medication thus far. I have much more energy, will to live, and my anxiety has also decreased immensely. I have not experienced any side effects with this, however I strongly recommend staying away from alcohol. After a night of drinking I would fall into a depressive state or have a panic attack. This never happened to me before taking this medication.

May 22, 2014 7:05 PM

Review by Nelle Nedlog:

For Anxiety: I started on Venlafaxine several months ago -- went from 37.4 to 75 to150mg. This was situational, as we had lost our 34-year old daughter several years ago in an extremely traumatic accident. When I was taking 150 mg., I felt less anxious and depressed but foggy-headed, and my emotions have been blunted. Over a short period of time, I experienced excruciating headaches, sleepiness, dry mouth, constipation, bizarre dreams, and felt detached from myself. Under the guidance of my APRN, I've been decreasing the dosage. The weaning process has been difficult, and my memory is terrible. I have now weaned to 37.5 mg. and will stay at this dose for a while. I have always been extremely sensitive to prescription meds; lower dose makes sense.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2014 6:27 PM

Review by Aymie520:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I give this a 7 because it does work. BUT be very cautious of the side effects. I was on it for 2 years, first started on the regular dose, then switched to extended release as the medicine would "wear off" throughout the day. While it helped tremendously with my depression and anxiety (it was almost non-existent) the side effects alone were debilitating. I gained 20 pounds, would fall asleep midday (we're talking I had to pry my eyes open to keep from passing out in the middle of a conversation), I was tired ALL DAY. I sweat PROFUSELY and the dizziness I experienced from missing a dose by only a few minutes, plus the heart palpitations were enough for me to stop.

May 13, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by htas (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: This medicine has helped for about 10 yrs. It makes me a little sleepy. I did not gain 1 pound on it.

May 12, 2014 11:09 AM

Review by Von Rymer (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I attempted suicide 23 yrs ago and I tried several medications for the first 3 or 4 yrs. They did little to help my depression and then a psychiatrist prescribed Effexor first @ 75mg daily and then at 150mg daily. I have used it for about 20 yrs and there have been no side effects like the others. It has truly been a life saver.

May 11, 2014 11:51 PM

Review by Ettie (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I am a senior business executive that run a daily regimen of 300mg Venlafaxine, amongst other things. I have been on it for 11 years, and it saved my life. I have suffered from severe depression since early childhood, but through a combination of intelligence, willpower and sheer drive I managed to function and build a stellar academic and professional career. By my late 20s things were starting to unravel though, and it was just a matter of time before suicide or my high-risk lifestyle took my life. Venlafaxine changed all that, it saved my life. It wasn't overnight, and over the years I added many more medications to the regimen, but in the end it given me a chance.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 9, 2014 8:15 PM

For Anxiety: Have been taking venalafaxine for almost 3 months. Started with 37.5 dose for 30 days then increase to 75mg dose and then another 30 days increased to 112.5 mg . The effect was gradual and seemed to work great at first but with time the effectiveness reduces hence the increase to get to the proper level. I have used Ativan for those times when it gets unmanageable to help elevate the stress. Back to the doctor for follow up and an increase to 150 mg. I am happy with the results so far regardless of how long it takes. It's better than dealing with the anxiety and stress!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 2:57 PM

Review by Emmalc4 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: This medication gives you brain shivers if you are late taking your tablet.

May 4, 2014 11:50 AM