User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 531 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Review by Brandoneffexor: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I'm 19. I had a terrible abusive childhood full of alcohol and physical and mental abuse. Depression also runs in my fathers and my mothers family, and so my heads pretty screwed up. I was first prescribed Lexapro, that medication made me go insane, and now I'm on 75mg of Effexor XR. I probably should take more, but in my experience with depression, it really keeps me down to earth and so I told my doctor this was good enough for me. I've been depressed my whole life and I just want to be good enough to where I won't be suicidal. This medication is great. The only side effect is that if I sit in weird positions my feet will go numb really quickly.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 17, 2014 9:17 PM
Review by VIRIDIANA: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I BEEN TAKING EFFEXOR FOR 4weeks FINALLY I FEEL GOOD IT'S A MIRACLE I WAS SUFFERING REAL BAD DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY AND THOUGHTS OF GIVING UP ON LIFE. EFFEXOR WORKS, THIS IS THE BEST I FELT SINCE I WAS 23 NOW I'M 30 AND YES I FEEL VERY HAPPY TO KNOW I DIDN'T GIVE UP AND FINALLY FOUND A MIRACLE PILL AND IT'S ONLY BEEN A MONTH THANKS EFFEXOR SAVED MY LIFE THANK YOU.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 11, 2014 10:53 AM
Review by Denise007: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I'm 48 and in menopause. I've suffered bouts of little depression through life but since menopause, it hit me like a brick. I had had a couple of panic attacks throughout the years and I couldn't shake this gradual depression that was coming over me. I've always been able to talk myself through it but this time, I just couldn't. My doctor prescribed EFFEXOR. I took it 2 days. On the third day, I was driving to work and I SUDDENLY felt like I couldn't breath. I was shaking, my heart was racing and I really thought I was going to die. I pulled over thinking I was having a heart attack. I called 911, throwing up on the side of a freeway. By the time the ambulance came, my heart rate had skyrocketed! Worst experience of my life.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 29, 2014 3:24 AM
Review by Leah10: User Rating:

venlafaxine for Postpartum Depression: I was diagnosed with postpartum depression after the birth of my 3rd son. I'm on venlafaxine for the 2nd time. The 1st time I disliked it because it seemed to have weird side effects. Now, I'm almost 3 weeks into it and I feel like a million bucks! My depersonalization seems to be so much better, my mood is better, I'm playing with my kids more than I have been. Starting to care about myself, have motivation to workout, more patient and able to handle my kids again! Venlafaxine gave me my life back. Not looking forward to tapering but that's a long way down the road. But I've found taking it at night is the best. I don't seem to have any side effects beside weight loss but who is going to hate that!

March 17, 2014 9:52 PM
Review by SSKirby (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I have been on Effexor XR 75mg for two months now, after previously being on Zoloft and Celexa. The two other medications were not effective for my anxiety and depression, and they tended to make me either tired or foggy regardless of the time of day that I took them. I expected the tiredness to wear off, but the foggy feeling never did. My doctor prescribed Effexor XR, and it has been very effective for both my depression and anxiety symptoms. I am not 100% perfect, and I still have anxiety, but in the appropriate moments. The moments of unreasonable anxiety attacks are fewer and far between since starting the medicine. I had no negative side effects, and I take it every morning at 9am.

March 13, 2014 11:12 AM
Review by Happy in Canada (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I have been on Effexor for the past 10 years - I started having panic attacks as a child although I didn't know at the time what was going on - when I was 17 the doctor prescribed Valium that I took periodically when my anxiety got really bad - finally when I was 40 the doctor suggested I go on a very low dosage of Effexor (37.5mg) because he was sure I had generalized anxiety disorder - what a difference this has made in my life - felt"weird" the first few weeks but now I have very little anxiety and really no side effects except maybe lower libido. I had no idea how much anxiety I had been living with all my life.

March 10, 2014 10:15 PM
Review by Happpppyyyyyy: User Rating:

venlafaxine for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Changes my life for the better!

March 10, 2014 8:50 AM
Review by savvysandra (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Been on Effexor 150 mg now for 4 weeks having good and bad days. Still hoping this medicine is going to work for me & my generalized anxiety disorder. I do know it can take up to 3 months to fully work.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 4, 2014 7:01 AM
Review by savvysandra (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

venlafaxine for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Been on 150mg of venlafaxine now 4 weeks. Feel happy but still having a lot of break through anxiety. A lot of the side effects have gone. Got the specialist on the 25th should know by then if the breakthrough anxiety gets better by then.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 3, 2014 9:40 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: People either love Effexor or hate it. I am on the side of adoration. I am 18 years old and have been taking Effexor for 4 years and the change I experienced was amazing. I have a long family history of depression and a generalized anxiety disorder, and it doesn't help when you're trying to go through puberty and are constantly being told that everybody your age is going through the same thing. The side effects are not pleasant, I used to get headaches, my blood pressure increased (but with exercise it can be managed), and get lightheaded and faint more often. Even with these, I still am happy and am grateful for Effexor.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 26, 2014 8:31 AM
Review by anonymously: User Rating:

venlafaxine for Panic Disorder: My first dose of 37.5 mg I experienced a surge of adrenaline, dizziness, nausea, sweating, jittery, shakiness. Symptoms started 2 hours after dose lasting about 2-4 hours. Each day the symptoms lessened and disappeared quicker. I have only been on this for 2 weeks but I do feel more optimistic and upbeat so far despite side effects.

February 17, 2014 2:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I am a 49 year old female who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I am taking Risperidone 2 mg a day with 75 mg of Effexor. I was severely depressed and suicidal everyday. Lexapro made me extremely anxious and nervous. I think 75 mg of Effexor is helping a lot. I am now not as depressed or suicidal. I am now regaining my energy and interest back. For everyone who struggle with depression/bipolar out there: don't give up HOPE. Things will get better and you will recover. I believe that. Hang in there, seek help and know that I am rooting for your quick recovery. Best wishes to all of you.

February 16, 2014 8:01 AM
Review by kayleighchey (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have an unspecified mood disorder. It helps me not have so many highs and lows. I can actually think before I rage out of control so I have much more self control but I still have panic attacks and in one week I've lost 4 pounds, (I'm an emotional eater).

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 13, 2014 2:15 PM
Review by Helpless2014: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I had a panic attack and my doctor diagnosed me with GAD ( General Anxiety Disorder), and depression, so he put me on buspirone 10mg twice a day with Xanax twice a day too and worked well, then stopped buspirone and put me on Effexor 75 mg and Wellbutrin 300. Effexor was ok for 2 months then didn't work, then placed me on Ecitalopram 10mg/ day, worked for 3 days then made me very angry, so he stopped that too, and don't know what is next!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 11, 2014 3:07 AM
Review by sfu (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I'm a 27 yr old female with ADD, generalized anxiety (including morbid thoughts, OCD behaviors, hypochondria and depression). Effexor has basically fixed me. I used to be irritable, negative, overwhelmed and chronically fatigued to a disabling capacity and now I'm evened out and confident, positive, patient and kinder. My head feels clearer than it ever has. The only issue is that this medication causes some sweating and raises my blood pressure so I've had to have that stabilized with blood pressure medication.

February 8, 2014 4:50 PM
Review by Maximus1959 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have taken a lot of depression medicines over the year's but this one has worked the best for me. I take 250mg a day and the side effect's have been very minimum.

February 4, 2014 4:47 AM
Review by beth101: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Effexor was a mixed bag for me - it was very numbing, and the side effects (which lingered for years after I stopped taking it) were awful. I attempted suicide a few weeks after starting it, because I was still depressed but was more numbed to the guilt I would usually feel. Be careful of this, make sure someone is aware if you feel at risk. It took a few months, but I began to feel positive things again, but eventually I was stuck in a zombie state where the side effects outweighed the good. I tried it on a few occasions with the same result: taking myself off them because I wanted to feel again. The best advice I can give is to see a psychiatrist, not a GP. There is a range of medicines, make sure you get the one that is tailored to YOU.

February 3, 2014 7:43 PM
Review by savvysandra (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Been on Effexor at 75mg now for 7 weeks still having really bad anxiety. Its only the diazepam that's helping at the moment.

February 2, 2014 7:45 AM
Review by betterthangood: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Effexor XR with (Abilify) for Bi-Polar, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for over 6 years. From Lamictal to Seroquel (and all meds mentioned in reviews), by far this is the best medicine I have used with minimal side effects for me. 225mg. With 20mg of Abilify, for me, a 57 year old woman, it allows a full, rich life from a suicidal, black hole. Added benefit (as a woman) is it staves off menopause effects of hot flashes, etc. Warning: heed advice from me please, and others, that state about effects of missed dosage or sudden suspension. This is dangerous; withdrawal is significant. Lastly, generic does not work the same as name brand for me. This is a very expensive medicine.

February 1, 2014 9:36 PM
Review by 1dayaTime (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Been taking venlafaxine XR for 15 years and all in all found it did what it was intended for, which was to suppress my depression and assist me in coping with life. My dosage amount fluctuated through the years, from 75mg up to 225mg(I think) and I had very little trouble with it, except when I forgot to refill it. I will say that the side effects of stopping Effexor are horrific and a contributor to why I stayed on it for so long. I'm off it now and I don't know if I'll ever get back on it again because I CANNOT go through the withdrawal feeling again, at least not with my sanity intact.

January 27, 2014 5:25 PM
Review by MzT: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My body responded very negatively to this medicine and I had to be pulled off of it. I had a lot of side effects with no relief for my generalized anxiety disorder it was prescribed for. Side effects: tremors, blurred vision, ringing in ears, constipation, irregular period, insomnia, nightmares, light headedness, coldness in extremities, suicidal feelings, murderous feelings, cloudy head, weight gain, nausea, metallic tasting dry mouth.

January 25, 2014 12:22 PM
Review by KEKENONO:

venlafaxine for Hot Flashes: I had a total Hysterectomy last year and I'd not felt like my self since February 2013, but my Dr suggest that I try Venlafaxine and all I have to say is, this Drug has saved my LIFE! I was having severe hotflashes and mood swings, I was at a point where I didn't know how I was going to continue living like this! I felt like I was losing my mind and no one could help me. Venlafaxine has stopped all my Menopausal symptoms! This Drug has saved my Marriage, my sanity, my Life! I thought I was all alone until my Dr said, I was not alone and she put me on a 2week trial of Venlafaxine 37.5mgs and as I said before, I finally feel like myself again! :-)

January 21, 2014 8:26 PM
Review by moany me (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

My medication was changed to 75mg of Venlafaxine, combined with Lyrica and Arthrotec. I have been almost completely pain free for 1st time in 3 years. Was thinking of asking doc to reduce/remove Venlafaxine and Arthrotec, as I thought I was taking too many things and the Lyrica alone was enough. Then I ran out of Venlafaxine for 36 hours and wondered why I was in pain and couldn't sleep. Hence this long entry at 04.33am - Venlafaxine.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 9, 2014 10:36 PM
Review by Courto (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Was taking 150mg of Effexor XR for an eating disorder and depression, did not help me. Had terrible night sweats, would wake up in the middle of the night with wet clothes and I have put on a lot of weight and couldn't lose weight, I've been totally off Effexor XR for around a week or so and I will never go back on.

January 6, 2014 3:18 AM
Review by Senna (taken for 10 years or more):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have been on Effexor XR, the brand name one. It is the best medicine for me. I can't be without it. I also use progesterone cream along with it for the weeks that my PMS is bad.

January 4, 2014 7:20 PM