User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 40 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 668 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Review by No more effexor (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I only give it two stars because it did relieve some depression while I was on it. After being on it for about 2 months, I realized that I wasn't feeling like myself at all. I felt like I was losing my personality and ambition. So I decided to taper off, and my doctor had me decrease 37.5 mg per week until I was off the med. During the tapering I didn't notice anything major side-effect-wise, but the second day I was completely off of it, everything kicked in. I felt like I was going to die, with major brain zaps and horrible migraines being consistent for a week. I also gained 15 pounds in what seemed like a few days. It's now been a month since I've been off of this awful drug, and I still have brain zaps, and the weight gain too.

May 3, 2015 1:41 PM

Review by KCDEVIL:

For Depression: I've been on this (75mg ER) for 2 weeks now but with no positive effects. My depression still lingers and I seem to wake up each morning with a lot of anxiety. The anxiety passes about 3 hours after taking my morning dose but it's still an unpleasant way to start my day. Maybe I need more time?

May 3, 2015 7:01 AM

Review by Rachel1998:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I developed depression when I was 14 after being bullied at school for some time. I decided that I had enough of all the crying and suicidal thoughts just before my 16th. My doctor put me on Zoloft April 2014, which gave me urinary retention. He swapped me to another one which I can't remember the name of, but I had a terrible allergic reaction to it. Finally, I was put on Effexor for 6 months until I was ready to come off them in October 2014. I experienced no depression for a few months, until I became stressed with school. Started Effexor again April 2015, and will continue on it because it works very, very well on me. At first I experienced a little bit of nausea with Effexor, but it passes after a couple of weeks then it's perfect!

May 2, 2015 10:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Autism: I have Asperger Syndrome, also Major Depression, Dysthymia and General Anxiety. Venlafaxine did nothing to help any of symptoms and had the side effects of completely removing my sense of hunger, nausea and eventually night sweats and nightmares. I think this drug will only help autistic symptoms they're also symptoms of co-morbid depression and/or anxiety. I imagine the social symptoms are made worse by depression/anxiety and in that case you may find it will help you. It's a strong antidepressant, but comes with strong side effects.

May 2, 2015 6:58 PM

Review by Sonjatx1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I have had anxiety and depression for years. Was on all different types of medicines. Even got so badly depressed and anxious that I was bedridden for almost 1 year. I got switched to Effexor and in a few days felt great! I cannot believe I spent all these years in darkness! This is the best medicine ever for me! I am not depressed and zero anxiety! I just wish I would have been on it earlier.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2015 5:30 AM

Review by Sofiaaa- (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I take the drug in morning when I wake up, first thing is eating, then 75mg with bottle of water, and I make sure during the day a drink plenty water because this drug affects your renal and hepatic system; every three months or according with your MD you should do routine labs. Remember, the drug won't take effect fast, is going to be two weeks to check out how you are tolerating the dose; this first two weeks you may feel somnolence, dizziness, tired, and urge to sleep. Thats normal, but you can also feel you can't control your life, not being focused, unhappy, that also can occur in the starting period as me. The maximum effect of the drug/dose will take effect in three months. Monitor your suicidal thoughts with any anti-depression med.

April 30, 2015 5:40 AM

Review by Eru (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I havent had a single panic attack since starting this drug which has been a MIRACLE. It was rough to get on it, like having the flu, but so worth it. I had GI side effects for about another two weeks but then those disappeared too. I have no bad side effects now. My default mood has returned to pretty-happy and things I couldn't do because of OCD, I can do now. I think this might be the one! I only gave it a 9 because I've been picking my scalp nonstop since about a month on it, but not sure if its because of effexor or not.

April 27, 2015 1:27 PM

Review by kittykate (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Postpartum Depression: It helped with my anxiety, but to the point that I didn't care and started taking risks. I had major mood swings, was full of rage and started self harming again for the first time in decades. I've had to be weaned off it to start another medicine.

April 25, 2015 3:56 AM

Review by Pops91 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: Not perfect but pretty close. Switched from Paxil(no emotions)-> Wellbutrin(aka severe anorexia)->Effexor. Basically all medications were pretty decent at anxiety coverage. I found Paxil to be the best without thinking of anything but anxiety attacks. Wellbutrin to be the least effective. Effexor was somewhere in the middle while still letting me enjoy life with an occasional anxiety attack. Since I've been on Effexor I've had maybe 3-4 small anxiety attacks in the span of 2-3 years.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2015 2:27 AM

Review by 149021Samantha:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: It works wonderfully. I've tried many antidepressants and they all left me feeling, not sad. But I still felt lethargic and hopeless. Effexor gives me motivation and drive. Helps me get out of bed in the morning and off the couch during the day. And it started working within the first week. The ONLY drawback I've found is it really decreases my libido and you CANNOT miss a dose. It will really ruin your day.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2015 10:41 PM

Review by Libgirl:

For Anxiety: I took this medicine for about 18 months. After about a year I noticed I had really gained weight... 17 pounds during my time on effexor. So I decided to stop taking this and switch to something else. After just four days, I feel thinner, my clothes fit better. I think I was that rare 1% that gained weight on this med. It is otherwise wonderful. Worked great on my anxiety with no other annoying side effects... But 17 pounds was annoying enough!

April 21, 2015 5:19 PM

Review by Nicolemont (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Great as long as I don't forget to take it

April 20, 2015 9:07 PM

Review by t. beaver:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: Overall good, no side effects, only some little red dots on the skin, doctor says thats normal

April 20, 2015 6:39 PM

Review by SleepinBeauty:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I've only been on this medication for about 2 weeks. That said, I've slept almost every day since starting it. I know sleepiness is a common side effect but this is excessive. Almost no energy throughout the day. Nonstop yawning. My depression is still there, anxiety has been better. I just feel very drained and apathetic. I'll stick with it for a while longer because I know it will take a while for the full affect to kick in. hoping for good results!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2015 5:19 PM

Review by ooop:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I been on this medicine since 6 years, I love it. Never thought I was going to get better especially after my last pregnancy, oh my gosh couldn't even get out of the house, but than my doctor introduced me to this amazing pill, 150 mg a day. That's all I needed, and bang ....my life was like before.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2015 1:49 PM

Review by Al-Samarrai (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I got depression with muscular fatigue after taking Sotalol. I started on Doxepin, for 6 weeks, with little improvement, I got blurred vision, and I switched to Aropax, but no effect except side effects such as insomnia. I switched to Effexor. I'm so pleased my Doctor suggested that I switch to Effexor. After 12 days the depression was lifted and I was capable to walk for 1 hr. After 6 weeks I was doing quite fine. I've been taking for about 3 years and it seems to be working great for me. I do not have a down day. I need to watch my body weight, since I gained 4 Kg.

April 16, 2015 6:48 AM

Review by Rikki79:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been on and off this drug for about 15 years now. It is the only drug I have found that will slow my racing thoughts, and general anxiety disorder. I was on Prozac when I was first diagnosed and that was a nightmare, I had no short term memory what so ever. I have also tried Cymbalta and a few others none of them helping like the Effexor does. I have taken myself off this medicine many times thinking I was better and didn't need it anymore just to come to the conclusion it was indeed the medicine making me feel normal. I remember having side effects when I first started this medicine but they do subside.

April 15, 2015 10:21 AM

Review by kevin1234:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: You have to keep taking this medicine forever. The withdrawl is awful after a day. However, once you find your dose everything is fine. I don't recommend this medicine because its like a marriage with a messy long divorce. Its better to stay on it once youre on it. I am on 150 mg and it works for me. Don't try and go off

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2015 10:26 PM

Review by pies10:

For Depression: Weight gain ++, excessive sweating. Moods great. Win some, losing some

April 11, 2015 9:41 AM

Review by iamSunshine:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: First off, everyone will react differently to each med and bottom line is that you have to try it for yourself. I've read horror stories about Effexor but quite frankly, it's worked great for me, and luckily it was the first one prescribed. I had to build up to the 37.5mg dose over 1.5 wks otherwise it made me nauseous. After a few weeks I felt fine, other than occ. hot flashes & had to take at exact same time every day. Was on it for about a year, then weaned off slowly and had no issues at all. Was fine for 4 years until I lost my job, then had to go back on for anxiety/panic attacks, this time at 75mg. Only real problem for me was weight gain. Trying Cipralex now but I don't like it; will likely switch back and just deal with the weight

April 10, 2015 10:35 PM

Review by pandabear83:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I take this medication at night before bed and i wake up in a great mood. I feel more alert and i am able to control my emotions better..

April 9, 2015 5:42 PM

Review by Erik Sherman (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: One of the best responses I have had to any anti-depressant medication. At 150mg and I have suffered with depression for over 20 years. Within a week I noticed a drastic improvement in my mood. Has far surpassed Prozac, Lexapro and Cymbalta. Definitely recommend trying to someone suffered from depression, MDD, etc.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2015 7:58 AM

Review by Bipolar Brad (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I may have had good experiences with Effexor the first six months or so. But, without a mood stabilizer, I soon went into a hypomanic stage. At times, on the medicine, I went into an full-blown manic phases. Once again, without a mood stabilizer. The most challenging part about this medicine, (or the generic venlafaxine which I took) is quitting it. Now, I am a poster child for doing it wrong, no doubt. That is, it is extremely challenging to quit this medicine going Cold Turkey. You will read online where people will tell you point blank, "Do not quit this medicine cold turkey." Listen to them. It took at least five months to feel like this medicine was totally out of my system.

April 7, 2015 1:35 PM

Review by happyasaclam (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I've dealt with depression/anxiety all of my life, or at least as early as I hit puberty. I tried Zoloft and Wellbutrin to their max doses, and neither were effective at all. After dealing with unbearable constant depression I stopped seeing my psychiatrist and went to a family physician who prescribed me Effexor. It's been maybe 4 months on Effexor XL 75 mg/day, and I've done a 180 degree turn around. I feel so content, so confident, rarely feel sad or bothered by little things. I started dating and met someone, and my friendships with people are stronger than ever. I finally feel like the person I should be, and more importantly I feel like an OPTIMIST. Only bad thing is that withdrawal is bad & it can make you nauseous. Otherwise 10/10!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2015 3:30 PM

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Total life saver. Took away the pain of existence been on it for 7 years, used to binge drink a lot but it interfered. Don't drink anymore, no intention to stop Effexor.

April 2, 2015 10:12 PM