User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 39 medications

5.8
Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 961 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Venlafaxine

For Depression: "I started this medication a month ago for anxiety and depression. Immediately I started feeling different during the first few days of taking this medication. But once i started taking the medication, I started feeling better. I still had episodes of anxiety, stress, and depression, but they were more manageable. The only negative side effects were yawning, dry mouth and inability to remain asleep during the night. My GP decided to have me switch over to sertraline this past weekend due to the trouble of sleeping. I am currently on day 3 of sertraline, and I don't feel quite like I was when taking venlafaxine. Need to give it more time. At least I know this one will work if need to switch back."

Somepenguin369 May 2, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Effexor XR is the best thing that's happened to me since my life went to hell in a hand basket a few months back. It dragged me back from the edge. And I was lucky, I started improving at the 2 week mark. Most people take up to a month to notice a difference. (Although those 2 weeks waiting were horrible, especially since I didn't know if it would do anything). What it's helped with: severe depression, severe anxiety, panic attacks, and that heightened startle reflex. Side effects I experience on 75mg: night sweats, occasional shakes (these have gotten less over time), and occasional nausea (again, less over time). There have also been some seriously vivid dreams/nightmares, but I've also got PTSD. *shrugs* Could easily be either."

ARaine14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "So I started Effexor XR tonight for my anxiety that I deal with and let me just say NEVER EVER AGAIN!! For two hours I felt fine, went to bed and suddenly was awaken by intense nausea so I sat up to wake my child's father(who stayed the night since we didn't know how this new med would affect me) and as soon as I sat up my stomach came up. There was no wait time. It's been five hours since I took it. And I've been up throwing up for the last 45 mins. Not taking this crap again. I would honestly rather have be dealing with a panic attack at this point rather than this I can't even blink my eyes without vomiting crap!"

Lilbit1993 May 1, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My diagnosis: MDD. It is more of a situational depression. I can be ok for years, but as a single mom, business owner and a few family struggles, the stress sneaks up on me and before I know it, there's anxiety, loss of interest, agitation, guilt, shame and some paranoia. I Tried Zoloft and it was ok. Tried cetalophram and couldn't tell if it was working. A doctor gave me venlafaxine a few years ago. I took it for a year and almost took for granted how absolutely life changing this medication was. I lost my insurance when the prescription ran out, so I went without it for a few years. I went back on it last week and it worked again almost instantly. No side effects here just peace!"

Lisa marie p May 1, 2016

For Depression: "I have had some level of depression for decades. Also have some form of anxiety I have never understood as to why, PG calls it social anxiety. After being prescribed a series of anti-depressants for years I landed on Venlafaxine and have been taking it for 20 years 150 mg by GP Tried to stop gradually as GP required but found I must need it due to a chemical imbalance rather than a life situation. Only one minor side effect is dizziness. Can avoid this by eating something and drinking a full glass of water when taking it. Drink minimum 6-8 glasses of water a day, more if needed as this will also alleviate dizziness. I don't know how helpful it would be if my life fell apart completely. But it has worked fine for me all these years."

grevor (taken for 10 years or more) April 29, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: "GP recommended effexor when 7 months ago when I was going through some extremely stressful life events. The seroxat I was on for GAD for the previous 17 years was no longer effective & now I had become depressed. Effexor 37.5mg worked well at first, was upped to 70mg. Benefits: Immediately made me feel less depressed (hooray - no more tears), No panic attacks at all, Able to sleep all night. Costs: Felt like a zombie, Lost my spark, Didn't feel present when talking to people (the lights were on but no-one was in), Not bothered about anything including if I upset someone; More aggressive verbally (usually very placid person), Withdrawn (usually very social person). Withdrawal if missed dose was torture. Currently tapering off it."

Nellyfant (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Alittle over a year ago I started suffering from the worst depression I have ever had before this I had minor depression but more anxiety social anxiety ect. During this bad depression I felt like I would never get better and lost all hope stoped working and felt like I would never be the same person as I was. I was only 27 at that time with two daughters I would never commit suicide to to my belief But I felt like I couldnt go on as soon as I woke up from sleeping maybe few hours my mind was running and I hated every minute of being alive feeling like this. I was prescribed effexor and went back to work with in a week I stared feeling like this might work fast forward a year I got promotion at my job and no anxiety or depression now."

Cristian87 April 28, 2016

For Depression: "This is the only anti depressant I've ever been on and I've been on it for about 4 months now I've had about 4 seizures and I twitch as I'm falling asleep and in my sleep I shake uncontrollably, I've read a few reviews similar to mine only theirs were worse and have been hospitalized. I am a normal 20 year old healthy female I only suffer from depression and I'm on suboxone I am switching this weekend to Zoloft I put it off for so long because when I don't have these pills I feel extreme withdrawal and my head feels crazy and brain zaps all weird I can't handle being off it so I was scared to switch. But to each their own my personal experience with it wasn't good other than twitching it works."

Capcakes April 28, 2016

For Anxiety: "Just started taking Venflaxine for my anxiety. It made me very I'll, I was nauseas and vomiting for 2 days. I stopped taking the pill and felt 100% better. I think everyone reacts differently to certain medications, if you are someone with a sensitive stomach just be aware you might have this reaction."

Andy300 April 27, 2016

For Depression: "my gp started me on Venlafaxine yesterday to help with depression and the change,a hour after taking them i was feeling very sick couldn,t stomach food or fluids, thought keep it up as she told me they did come with some side effects which would get better,took another one last night and was so ill i couldn,t stand ,being sick sweating shaking thought i was going to pass out. Did get some sleep hopeing to feel better this morning,took another one and felt so spaced out dry mouth shaking ,sick, so booked in to see gp again to make sure i should be feeling like this, only to find out she had put me on the wrong dose should have been on 37.5mg was put on 150mg, now on right dose hope this will be better"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Effexor has been absolutely brilliant for me. I was on and off Lexapro for years, it made the anxiety less but I felt blunted and almost more depressed as there was no meaning in my life. I have hardly any side effects with Effexor (75mg). nausea the first couple weeks. Excess sweat for about 6 months. Orgasms slightly less intense, but still very enjoyable and probably easier to reach as I'm more relaxed. I find I have less control over sugar/carb cravings and am a bit lower energy and have thus gained some weight - maybe 5 kilos. All in all, I was very reluctant to try this, but it has changed my life for the better. Sometimes worry about withdrawal and safety in pregnancy - but I think Effexor saved my life, so that's the main thing!"

bluejuice (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "It should be ILLEGAL to prescribe this drug. I have tried most antidepressents and never have i experienced such atrocious side effects from withdrawing. I have never written a review on anything but i was compelled to share the experience. again, it should be illegal to prescribe effexor xl."

poppy271 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "DON'T TAKE THIS. I took it for hot flashes and now, at 70, I am trying to withdraw as it also has high blood pressure as a side effect. HORRIBLE withdrawal problems!!! DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG."

GrandmaSusan2 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was prescribed 37.5 mg. daily to deal with the trifecta of anxiety, hot flashes and sleeplessness. I'm finding that the hot flashes have greatly decreased and that while I still wake up during the night, I am able to get back to sleep. My anxiety is still there but is finally manageable and I'm okay with that. I am happy to have some relief with this dosage and will not increase it unless absolutely necessary. The side effects that I am experiencing are dry mouth, constipation and a little weight gain but I am willing to deal with this in order not to suffer as I had for so long. I take meds with breakfast and did notice that if I forget a dose, I am unable to sleep that night."

Marleymama April 26, 2016

For Anxiety: "Had extreme anxiety after trying Champix to quit smoking. I was on this for about a year and a half and then weaned off slowly. Things went downhill at work and I'm just restarting after I felt my anxiety creeping back in. This time though the doc wants me to take it twice a day instead of once a day. Currently on two 37.5 in the morning and then another 37.5 about 5pm. I can feel my anxiety lessening after only a week. Just started a new job. My anxiety makes me think my teeth are going to hurt and that's all I end up focusing on. All day every day. Effexor has been a real life saver."

Leelow (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Sadly only lasted 5 days on Effexor XR. The side effects from the 75mg dose was unlike anything I have experienced before. Within 10 hours of the first dose I had severe anxiety - something I had never experienced before. Within hours of second dose the extreme nausea came on. By day 3 I was pratically bed-ridden in cold sweats and feeling completely "out of it" . I persevered hoping the effects would begin to subside but by the 5th day I had severe nausea, couldn't get out of bed from feeling so sick, horrible tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and felt spaced out to the point that I began to wonder if I would ever feel "normal" again. Advised by GP to cease immediately on hearing my side effects."

Simesy (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "You know, I wasn't sure what to rate this. In terms of effectiveness, definitely very much so. But in terms of the quality of life after taking this for a year and a half, I'm not sure it's worth it. It acted as a number for me. I don't remember many months of my life while taking this pill. The memory loss scares me sometimes. But I like to think I was just coasting, softly through time. Maybe that's what I needed from this pill during that time of my life, however. Anyway - I don't take this anymore. I have been switched to Lithium, which has been my slow but sure savior. Overall, Effexor XR is a strong medication for strong emotions, but you lose a part of who you are along with it."

BrightSoul (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "You have read it before. STOP LOOKING for further affirmation and take everyone's advice: DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE! I have been on 75mg of generic Effexor (Venlafaxine) for a month and I am SO upset that after the first side effects began and I looked it up on the internet, I did not heed the general consensus and that I did not stop taking it. My side effects include but are not limited to: hot flashes (yes, even though it is supposed to HELP with hot flashes), headaches, tooth and tongue pain (all my teeth and tongue hurt about 40 minutes after taking it), extreme nausea unless you eat A LOT of food with it and then queasiness after the food digests, insomnia (truthfully, may or may not be the Effexor),and lethargy "

Xerendipity (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I was prescribed effexor for anxiety which interfered with sleeping - worry about getting to sleep meant that I wouldn't sleep which made me feel exhausted, depressed and useless. I've also tried Zoloft and Luvox which didn't do anything. CBT and mindfulness were also pretty useless - just made me slightly more obsessive about my weird problems with getting to sleep. Effexor has been amazing. Apart from some insomnia and lightheadedness during the first week I don't have any side effects. I don't have the same obsessive and weird anxious thoughts over getting to sleep or other minor things which preoccupied me and made me feel dreadful. I sleep well and my head feels so clear."

StephanieKandS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "It changed my life. 48 years of just dealing with anxiety and depression not wanting to be on medication. With the onset of pre-menopause the depression was unbearable and more feelings of hopelessness. My doctor prescribed 75 mg and I feel alive again. The torment of paranoia, anxiety and the depression are gone."

BAC67 April 19, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "In my 25 years of being put on various medications, this is--by far--the best. I suffered from anxiety and PTSD, which (of course) would lead to depression. I'd contend with crying spells and outbursts of anger. The first few days of taking 75 mg/day, I did have some side effects (such as racing thoughts, sleeplessness, etc.), but my body adjusted quickly. I now wake up every day feeling more hopeful, and with ZERO crying spells. I am still ME, and never feel like a zombie. I am still aware of my surroundings and what annoys me, yes, but my RECOVERY from processing those things is much faster, and I bounce right back. In other words, my perspective of things is normalized, and my days aren't ruined. Wonderful stuff!"

cartoonist13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

For Depression: "I was so happy to find a site that allowed me to understand the "brain zaps", headaches, nausea and light sensativity I was getting. I thought it was some kind of migraine or a brain tumor. I have been on 175 MG for some years and my anger and depression are improved greatly but like some others if I am even a few hours late with my pill the side effects start . I know I need to wean off but am scared to death of the withdrawal."

babsbo April 18, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I just wanted to die while going through withdrawal, while tapering off very gradually and for six months afterwards. Longer term effects are too painful to write about right now. Avoid."

Jane A April 17, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been taking antidepressants for about 15 years, due to panic attacks, general anxiety, and situational depression, and they have worked well. Additionally, for 10 years I have had very severe leg pain, seeming to be sciatica/nerve pain and muscle pain, from hips to feet. I was told by two orthopedists that, "You're just old (59) so live with it." It's been only a month since I changed to SNRIs--namely Venlafaxine--and since the very first day, I have been pain free. I can walk again with long strides and quickly. I can stand for long periods. I can take hikes. I hadn't been able to do that for 10 years.. My life is no longer dictated by how much pain I can endure. I don't know how it works, but I wish I'd known about it years ago."

Carol D. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I have had panic disorder & depression for years with suicidal ideation. Wouldn't leave my house! My new Doctor started me on 37.5. The side effects were awful and I almost quit taking. Worsened anxiety, nausea, you name it- I had it. After a little over a week, it was gone. Doctor put me on 75mg. I noticed a difference on day two! Less anxiety, less depression. Weird sensation in my veins like I need to go run or something. After a month I was on 150mg. I was almost living a normal life by then and actually leaving my house. side effects are gone. Now I'm on 225mg. I'm a different person! I feel alive! Haven't felt normal in years! I'll always have a little anxiety, but it's manageable with coping mechanisms. This med. saved my life."

June34 April 16, 2016