User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 573 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Review by That Lupus Guy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: I love it. I get dizzy and almost black out when I hop up. So I learned to get up slow. My pain has turned dull now instead of sharp and menacing like it's been for almost 5 yrs. Taking this with Oxycodone and Robaxin helps me get through each day. Still not well enough where I can exercise due to horrible muscle inflammation. Started on the 25mg...moved to 75mg...now I'm taking the 150mg XR and I can say that I think I should stay here.

August 17, 2014 3:25 PM

Review by Blondegirl311:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: Started taking Venlafaxine ER a year ago for anxiety. Started at 75mg daily and am currently on 150mg per day, and have been for about 8 months. It has helped a ton with the anxiety! While I am not completely clear from anxiety, it is much much better to handle. I did not gain any weight whatsoever. I do notice that if I forget to take it I feel a bit nauseous and lightheaded so I have set an alarm on my phone. I take both 75mg pills at one time so that it's done for the day. All in all, I would recommend!!

August 13, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by Juleen:

For Fibromyalgia: I have had fibromyalgia symptoms for over 2 years now, muscle cramps that stay in a locked position for days. I am in constant pain. I have only been on venlafaxine for not quite a week and have to admit it has controlled the pain to a dull ache instead of the throbbing pain before. My doctor started me out on 37.5 mgs and after 4 days we increased it to 75 mgs. I seem to tolerate this dosage well. I am happy with the benefit of helping my anxiety level. I see hope at the end of the pain tunnel.

August 9, 2014 4:38 PM

Review by Mitra_:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: Have suffered from bouts of severe anxiety over the last few years that would leave me bedridden, suicidal, unable to work or eat. Tried Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Luvox and honestly thought nothing would ever work for me. All made me worse. Psych doctor wanted to try Effexor XR but I was worried about the withdrawing from it - after trying everything else I finally agreed. Has taken a month to feel a difference. I'm enjoying things again, not chewed up by horrible anxiety, I'm actually HAPPY?! 1st month on it was so challenging - very low, anxious, exhausted, nauseous. But now no side effects. I feel like a light's gone on. Like I am getting my life back. I could sob with relief. Truly believed I'd never get better, but here I am.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2014 7:51 AM

Review by Downout (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I have suffered with major depression my whole adult life. Have been on several types of antidepressants all of which left me feeling like a zombie. The first time I took Effexor I noticed a major swing in my moods it has been a total saviour for me. Two weeks ago I was in bad shape, today a week of Effexor I feel on top of the world . This medication with the help of family friends and councilor had without a doubt totally turned my life around now everything in my life is happy and positive. Without this medication my future would've been bleak to say the least.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by Fuckhead:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Effective but bad side effects of nausea.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by King Bean (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Great experience on Effexor. Was very anxious; maybe a little depression. Panic attacks, etc. Effexor gave me a great bump within 3 days at each dose. Ultimately, went up to 225mg (2 years). I was a new person; no worries, loving life. Went down to 150mg (2 years), and then down to 75mg (2 years). No problems. After 7 years, went off. Then I started to feel very badly again, went back on to now avail. But the 7 years I was on it, I felt tremendous. Great med for me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 4, 2014 2:29 PM

Review by Tepper:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: As with all antidepressants, I tend to peak after about 5 years and my medication begins to lose its efficacy. This is the third time I have had Effexor prescribed, and each time the results have been better than with any other antidepressant. I actually enjoy parts of my life and sleep like a baby, which is a true blessing, because I have Fibromyalgia and the accompanying insomnia so common with Fibromyalgia. Several years ago my brother-in-law was having trouble with his depression medications so I told him to ask his doctor about Effexor. He has gone from suicidal to a fairly happy fellow. This medicine has literally been a life saver in our family.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 3:08 PM

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I took Effexor for three years due to depression. I loved the fact that I was no longer depressed but I was tired all the time. I could sleep for 10 hours get up and two hours later I was ready to sleep again. If I missed taking a dose I would get a horrible headache. The only reason I stopped taking Effexor was due to being tired all the time. Getting off of the medication was awful. I have never been so sick in my life. If you are going to take this medicine the rest of your life I highly recommend it. It did wonders for my depression.

July 29, 2014 10:35 PM

Review by tuttifruiti (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Hot Flashes: After suffering from extreme hot flashes, night sweats and overwhelming anxiety, that I really thought was just me and my lot in life, my cousin told me about her Dr. giving her Effexor. I made an appointment and now take 75mg. I am a different person!! Sometimes have to look in the mirror to be sure it is me. It took me years to discover I can feel good!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2014 11:50 PM

Review by o.q.m (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I am 17 years old and also have prescribed Adderall for ADHD and I am on hormone blockers for gender dysphoria. I have been on venlafaxine for 4 days and have had more than 7 serious anxiety and dysphoria attacks. I have tried Prozac and Zoloft in the past and those have had a similar effect, but nothing nearly as bad as this.

July 28, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by Mommy horse:

For Hot Flashes: I went to my obgyn after experiencing a very emotional year with family and work then started hot flashes!! Thankfully, my obgyn was wonderful and didn't think I was crazy! She prescribed 75 mg Effexor -generic venlafaxine -much cheaper too. I saw improvement in hot flashes and mood within 2 days. I am on week 2 and feel more like my old self, minor hot flash symptoms, lost 4 pounds and I don't feel the need to eat everything in sight! First week I did experience sleepiness and yawning but that has gone away and I am alert and feeling good!

July 27, 2014 10:40 AM

Review by My experience (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Effexor has changed my life. I have always had bad anxiety but it got out of control after a traumatic event 3 years ago. Finally decided I needed some help and was prescribed Effexor. I doubted it would help - I tried Lexapro a few years before and had awful panic attacks. I am so glad I was wrong and gave Effexor a chance! My anxiety has greatly decreased and I'm now able to function and think about things other than worries. I had some unexpected benefits too including reduced social anxiety, I'm more motivated, increased confidence, and a general feeling of happiness and well-being. No real negative side effects - I have lost about 15 pounds and I was a normal weight. I feel like this is how I should have been feeling all my life.

July 26, 2014 11:15 PM

Review by adam1994:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I'm 19 and have suffered with anxiety for three years or so. Previously had been on Prozac and Lexapro which were both hellish. Began taking Effexor XR two months ago and started feeling better two weeks through but out of no where the medication not only ceased to work but actually made my anxiety a lot worse. Have horrible agitation, depression, irritability and insomnia. Pity I could really do with an antidepressant than works!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 8:50 PM

Review by AA2288:

For Anxiety and Stress: Took this for almost five months and noticed a major impact on my sex drive. I never ever wanted to have sex like at all. Gave me killer dry mouth and I gained 8 pounds. Quit taking it three weeks ago and sex drive is back to normal and no more dry mouth.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2014 1:36 PM

Review by MawMaw10:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have been on Effexor XR 150 mg for 20 years it certainly has help with my suicidal thoughts and panic attacks. I also take 2 x 1mg of Xanax. I started seeing a new primary care doctor yesterday who thinks I should be taken off both since I have been on it for so long but I have read some awful things about the withdrawal problems and it makes me scared.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by Cherno (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I started taking Effexor at age 19 after about 2 1/2 years on Prozac. The reason for the switch was that I developed anxiety problems at that age in addition to depression, and the Prozac was not treating the anxiety. Effexor works very well to treat both anxiety and depression but if I stop taking it for even 1-2 days (which is often because I am very forgetful) I become extremely depressed for the next 1-2 days. Right now I am in one such down swing after taking my Effexor for the first time in about 5 days. If you avoid doing that though you should be fine, the medication does help a lot.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 10, 2014 12:58 PM

Review by Maple Fritters:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: Went on Effexor for panic disorder/social anxiety caused by OCD. It was debilitating and the symptoms really affected my ability to go through life. I had been on other meds, which did not do much, so I was genuinely surprised and happy when the Effexor made a noticeable difference in the frequency and severity of my panic attacks. I have a few moments of panic now and then, but nothing as bad as it was. OCD is still there, but does not cause me too much distress or interrupt my life as much as it used to (and Effexor is not meant to treat OCD anyway). The side effect that got me the most was tiredness, so I was put on Wellbutrin to balance that out, and it seems to be working for me. The other side effects are entirely bearable.

July 10, 2014 12:43 AM

Review by Rob C (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: Switched to Effexor XR after having severe anxiety side effects with Prozac 20mg. With Prozac initial side effects, I didn't sleep for days, constant, ceaseless agitation and restlessness, ended up in ER for psych evaluation which has never happened to me before. Doctor switched me to Effexor XR 37.5 mg and on the second day I noticed that after taking the pill in the morning, by the afternoon I was much calmer, almost drowsy, which was an enormous relief after two weeks of severe anxiety. After two weeks on Effexor XR I'm doing much better; much less anxiety and worry. The PM drowsiness has gone too. I hope to stay on the low dose.

July 8, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by Just a teen:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been on this medicine since I was 13. I'm 17 now I'm on 225mg it helps my generalized anxiety disorder the most my other disorders not so much. I like this medicine more than any other, I have been on all of the ones you can be on under the age 18. I say 6 out of 10, I would tell anyone to try this first it will help.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2014 1:20 AM

Review by zmb (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I'm taking this and Remeron for major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Nothing else has worked. I was on Wellbutrin for 2 years but it quit doing anything and after 4 medicine changes my doctor put me on this. Within a week I was not sulking around, I had energy to get off the couch and shower, and actually found I could laugh again! My husband has noticed the difference in my mood as well. I am having horrible sweats at night, and a little blurry vision along with nightmares/weird dreams. But I'm hoping that might fade some as I take it longer. I'm willing to deal with the side effects at this point as I'm getting myself and my life back.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2014 8:22 PM

Review by LaniP392:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: This is the only medicine that totally helps me. I seldom have to take Alprazolam or Valium with the Effexor. I tried switching to Cymbalta for nerve pain..what a mistake. I am back on Effexor.

June 27, 2014 11:10 PM

Review by Flapjack:

For Hot Flashes: I've had intense hot flashes for 12 years. In addition to HRT (which worked fabulously during the 5 years I was on it), I tried Zoloft, Prozac, Remifemin, and Estroven with varying degrees of unspectacular success. So didn't expect much from Effexor, but within days of starting daily 37.5 dose, my hot flashes all but disappeared. Really, it's amazing. I've only been on it two weeks, so here's hoping it'll be effective for the long haul, which at this point, after 12 years, is looking like it will be the rest of my life. Geez, thanks, mom...

June 20, 2014 2:39 AM

Review by savvysandra (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Started on a new dose of 225mg 9 weeks ago at first didn't think it was working but slowly each day seems much better. Feel much happier & enjoying life again. This medication does not work over night, it can take a while but don't give up on them to quickly. Hang on in there & you will see the benefits. The only side affects I had was sweating & vivid dreams but these do subside over time.

June 13, 2014 7:09 AM

Review by Moochymama (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Day 4 of venlafaxine, 37.5mg at 6.30 am and 6.30pm. I have only just realised the importance of taking it at the same time if you are doing split doses. Previously I was taking as I woke up (5am) and before bed (10pm). Not good- headaches turned into full blown migraine. First dose I was sick immediately and was sweating, trembling slightly. I felt I could feel the chemicals literally swooshing around my brain and body. It was very strange. I calmed myself down, told myself to go with it. The rest of the day-fine. Day two, realized I had to EAT with the venlafaxine to ensure I wasn't sick. I've never been a big eater, but half a banana with a venlafaxine plus milk in between bites was enough to line my stomach. Much better this time.

June 1, 2014 3:21 PM