User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 40 medications

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 1 reviews 5 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 678 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Venlafaxine

For Fibromyalgia: "I have cPTSD, serious depression, anxiety and I also suffer from Fibromyalgia. I will never get off of Effexor, because it works and the withdrawal symptoms scare me to death. I would only suggest Effexor as a last resort and only for someone with long term issues because of the withdrawal problems. Effexor is a lifetime commitment but it works so that's ok with me. I did try other medications and honestly, the one thing I have learned to test if an antidepressant is going to work is if after a week of taking it whether there is sexual dysfunction or not. I wish it helped me more with the Fibro but it is so worth it for the anti-anxiety. I can buy 90 days of generic at Costco for under $40 and that is cheaper than my insurance copays"

Your Queen May 20, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Effexor works reasonably well for me. I'm on 150mg and for the most part it controls my depression. I do find it better to take this med in the morning. Firstly because I think it lessens the depression for me when I take it at that time. Also it stops the side effect of dizziness for me. If I miss the meds I know about it. As the dizziness does not go away otherwise. That's really the only side effect that I find that's negative about this med."

Tascha (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "46, Male, No previous mental illness. SYMPTOMS-Racing thoughts and worry causing panic attacks, fluttering heartbeat, insomnia and mild depression. SIDE EFFECTS-Nothing terrible. Dry mouth, made some bad habits worse, like grinding teeth, gnashing tongue, chewing inside of lips. Increased libido with delayed, but intense orgasm. Loss of appetite, lost 11 lbs in a month. GOOD EFFECTS-Completely took the edge off of everything. No racing thoughts, no panic attacks. I am able to focus on tasks better. Made me very agreeable with family and friends. I seem to love my GF more. Things that irritated me about her don't anymore. So far it's been a good drug with no adverse qualities worth worrying about. I took Zoloft first, it made me suicidal"

Screaname (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I started taking Effexor in 1995. I had GAD with some depression. For some reason, I let the Dr continue prescribing for 12 years, I was only on 75mg and since it worked, I did not want to temp fate. Last year I started to have worse anxiety and went to one of the highly regarded MD's in NYC. He prescribed Remeron and Effexor. Eventually the dose was increased from 75 mg to 300mg. It had no beneficial effects. Worse is getting off of it. I'm now down to 37.5 mgs over the last two weeks. The brain zaps and anxiety are tough. I think this drug should be illegal, The withdrawal effects are awful. I recommend trying something else unless this is your last resort."

CPA50 (taken for 10 years or more) May 14, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I am 140 lb, 29 year old woman. I was prescribed 150 mg of Venlafaxine XR. I only took it for 5 days due to the horrendous side effects. I experienced dry mouth, excessive sweating, blurred vision, constipation, and increased heart rate. I wasn't on it long enough to determine its effectiveness; I wasn't willing to deal with side effects. My doctor switched me to Wellbutrin and I have not experienced any withdrawal symptoms."

KC85 May 14, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "Horrible drug, will never use it again. My doctor perscribed the lowest possible daily dose to try to see if it would help for anxiety and depression. After taking it for one week I had nausea, constant sweating, made my head feel tight and foggy, did not sleep more than 20 mins at a time because I was constantly waking with nightmares. Been off effexor for over a month. Sweats gone, nausea gone, feeling much better but can't sleep more than 4 hours straight then being awake for hours. I would not recommend this drug to any one. Get your doctor to try you on something different first.."

sara pezzini (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "Started on 37.5mg for a month. First two days were only side effects - I was a little jumpy, couldn't keep legs still, and had insomnia. That went away in 48 hours. Then it shifted to making me sleepy and fairly relaxed. However, I still had breakthrough anxiety crying and didn't feel much change in depression. Decided to up the dose and have been at 75mg for a while now. No side effects. This dose has obliterated my anxiety and helped with depression. All I feel is calm and relaxed. I am more outgoing and happy. Only thing I noticed, like so many others, is that it is tough to miss a dose. But, don't let that dissuade you from trying it. It really has been a miracle for me."

Atexun May 7, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I just started taking this med 2 weeks ago. Almost every time I stand up I get a severe head rush. Almost blacked out once. I haven't felt any emotional difference but I guess that takes time?"

jc24 May 6, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I've been on Effexor for anxiety for about 15 years. It changed my life. I tried Wellbutrin first but it made me even more anxiety ridden. For a brief time I felt like the Effexor was not working as well so I switched to Pristiq. Pristiq increased my anxiety so after about 6 months I switched back. Within 3 days I felt almost completely better."

Helprec'd May 5, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I only give it two stars because it did relieve some depression while I was on it. After being on it for about 2 months, I realized that I wasn't feeling like myself at all. I felt like I was losing my personality and ambition. So I decided to taper off, and my doctor had me decrease 37.5 mg per week until I was off the med. During the tapering I didn't notice anything major side-effect-wise, but the second day I was completely off of it, everything kicked in. I felt like I was going to die, with major brain zaps and horrible migraines being consistent for a week. I also gained 15 pounds in what seemed like a few days. It's now been a month since I've been off of this awful drug, and I still have brain zaps, and the weight gain too."

No more effexor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2015

For Depression: "I've been on this (75mg ER) for 2 weeks now but with no positive effects. My depression still lingers and I seem to wake up each morning with a lot of anxiety. The anxiety passes about 3 hours after taking my morning dose but it's still an unpleasant way to start my day. Maybe I need more time?"

KCDEVIL May 3, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I developed depression when I was 14 after being bullied at school for some time. I decided that I had enough of all the crying and suicidal thoughts just before my 16th. My doctor put me on Zoloft April 2014, which gave me urinary retention. He swapped me to another one which I can't remember the name of, but I had a terrible allergic reaction to it. Finally, I was put on Effexor for 6 months until I was ready to come off them in October 2014. I experienced no depression for a few months, until I became stressed with school. Started Effexor again April 2015, and will continue on it because it works very, very well on me. At first I experienced a little bit of nausea with Effexor, but it passes after a couple of weeks then it's perfect!"

Rachel1998 May 2, 2015

For Autism: "I have Asperger Syndrome, also Major Depression, Dysthymia and General Anxiety. Venlafaxine did nothing to help any of symptoms and had the side effects of completely removing my sense of hunger, nausea and eventually night sweats and nightmares. I think this drug will only help autistic symptoms they're also symptoms of co-morbid depression and/or anxiety. I imagine the social symptoms are made worse by depression/anxiety and in that case you may find it will help you. It's a strong antidepressant, but comes with strong side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "I have had anxiety and depression for years. Was on all different types of medicines. Even got so badly depressed and anxious that I was bedridden for almost 1 year. I got switched to Effexor and in a few days felt great! I cannot believe I spent all these years in darkness! This is the best medicine ever for me! I am not depressed and zero anxiety! I just wish I would have been on it earlier."

Sonjatx1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I take the drug in morning when I wake up, first thing is eating, then 75mg with bottle of water, and I make sure during the day a drink plenty water because this drug affects your renal and hepatic system; every three months or according with your MD you should do routine labs. Remember, the drug won't take effect fast, is going to be two weeks to check out how you are tolerating the dose; this first two weeks you may feel somnolence, dizziness, tired, and urge to sleep. Thats normal, but you can also feel you can't control your life, not being focused, unhappy, that also can occur in the starting period as me. The maximum effect of the drug/dose will take effect in three months. Monitor your suicidal thoughts with any anti-depression med."

Sofiaaa- (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I havent had a single panic attack since starting this drug which has been a MIRACLE. It was rough to get on it, like having the flu, but so worth it. I had GI side effects for about another two weeks but then those disappeared too. I have no bad side effects now. My default mood has returned to pretty-happy and things I couldn't do because of OCD, I can do now. I think this might be the one! I only gave it a 9 because I've been picking my scalp nonstop since about a month on it, but not sure if its because of effexor or not."

Eru (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

For Postpartum Depression: "It helped with my anxiety, but to the point that I didn't care and started taking risks. I had major mood swings, was full of rage and started self harming again for the first time in decades. I've had to be weaned off it to start another medicine."

kittykate (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: "Not perfect but pretty close. Switched from Paxil(no emotions)-> Wellbutrin(aka severe anorexia)->Effexor. Basically all medications were pretty decent at anxiety coverage. I found Paxil to be the best without thinking of anything but anxiety attacks. Wellbutrin to be the least effective. Effexor was somewhere in the middle while still letting me enjoy life with an occasional anxiety attack. Since I've been on Effexor I've had maybe 3-4 small anxiety attacks in the span of 2-3 years."

Pops91 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "It works wonderfully. I've tried many antidepressants and they all left me feeling, not sad. But I still felt lethargic and hopeless. Effexor gives me motivation and drive. Helps me get out of bed in the morning and off the couch during the day. And it started working within the first week. The ONLY drawback I've found is it really decreases my libido and you CANNOT miss a dose. It will really ruin your day."

149021Samantha April 24, 2015

For Anxiety: "I took this medicine for about 18 months. After about a year I noticed I had really gained weight... 17 pounds during my time on effexor. So I decided to stop taking this and switch to something else. After just four days, I feel thinner, my clothes fit better. I think I was that rare 1% that gained weight on this med. It is otherwise wonderful. Worked great on my anxiety with no other annoying side effects... But 17 pounds was annoying enough!"

Libgirl April 21, 2015

For Depression: "Great as long as I don't forget to take it"

Nicolemont (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Panic Disorder: "Overall good, no side effects, only some little red dots on the skin, doctor says thats normal"

t. beaver April 20, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: "I've only been on this medication for about 2 weeks. That said, I've slept almost every day since starting it. I know sleepiness is a common side effect but this is excessive. Almost no energy throughout the day. Nonstop yawning. My depression is still there, anxiety has been better. I just feel very drained and apathetic. I'll stick with it for a while longer because I know it will take a while for the full affect to kick in. hoping for good results!"

SleepinBeauty April 19, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I been on this medicine since 6 years, I love it. Never thought I was going to get better especially after my last pregnancy, oh my gosh couldn't even get out of the house, but than my doctor introduced me to this amazing pill, 150 mg a day. That's all I needed, and bang ....my life was like before."

ooop April 17, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I got depression with muscular fatigue after taking Sotalol. I started on Doxepin, for 6 weeks, with little improvement, I got blurred vision, and I switched to Aropax, but no effect except side effects such as insomnia. I switched to Effexor. I'm so pleased my Doctor suggested that I switch to Effexor. After 12 days the depression was lifted and I was capable to walk for 1 hr. After 6 weeks I was doing quite fine. I've been taking for about 3 years and it seems to be working great for me. I do not have a down day. I need to watch my body weight, since I gained 4 Kg."

Al-Samarrai (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 16, 2015