User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 613 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Review by 0521j0929d:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I have been on Effexor XR for about a year, after switching from Paxil. It is a scary thing to read all these reviews, and question about whether you should or should not take it. I personally started for anxiety, and it has helped tremendously. To me having panic attacks is not a fun task, yes are there side effects but everything you put into your body does. Please try what your doctor recommends before you read all the reviews.

January 26, 2015 12:07 PM

Review by TravisTheITGuy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Been taking Effexor XR for a while now. Helped with the depression and anxiety. However -1 for the constant nausea and -1 for the constant insomnia

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2015 1:43 AM

Review by Kpm65:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Vulvodynia: Probably saved my life at the time, but I developed a hypnotic-like falling-asleep-at-the-wheel problem on drives of more than 30 minutes in length; so regretfully had to stop using it.

December 29, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by tammyever... (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Very helpful medicine.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 9:48 PM

Review by lavendarles:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: This stopped my depression the second day! It felt like a hole in my heart mended! Literally! I seem to be able to skip days here and there in the spring and summertime with no effects, but never have plans to wean off. It has been too great a miracle prescription for me! Seven years!

December 16, 2014 5:38 PM

Review by Lane123456:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I am a 21 year old female. I was on Prozac for ten years (40 mg at the end) before switching to Effexor (37.5 mg at first, 262.5 mg now) because I was having issues with anxiety. I was ok for a while then I became extremely depressed and suicidal. My doctor increased my dose and although it did take away the misery and suicidal thoughts, I wouldn't describe myself as happy. I feel constantly tired, sleeping up to 16 hours a day. I can't work and social situations exhaust me. It took me a while to realize Effexor might be responsible for some of these symptoms. I am talking to a psychiatrist about changing my medication but I'm very worried about the infamous withdrawl from Effexor.

December 7, 2014 12:52 AM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Postpartum Depression: Effexor XR worked great at treating my Postpartum Depression - within 6 weeks of taking it, it was gone. I did have a lot of problems eating on this, though, which was the reason I stopped taking it.

December 5, 2014 8:14 PM

Review by Brandy B (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: This medicine literally saved my life. I toook 75mg and the first day I took it, I noticed a difference in my mood. I woke up in the morning and actually felt like getting out of bed. I smiled and enjoyed being around people and was in a pleasant mood. I was getting my life back! The only side effect I noticed was that I was pretty nauseous the first week and lost my appetite. But, it wasn't bad at all! I stopped taking the medicine suddenly when I found out I was pregnant and the only side effect I noticed when I stopped was being dizzy for about a week. But that could've been because I was pregnant too. Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage, and started taking Effexor again. Looking forward to being happy again.

December 5, 2014 7:38 PM

Review by stoked:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Been taking this for years, helps me out a lot.

December 5, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by JemmaVictoria:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I also suffer from EUPD (BPD), Anxiety, Anorexia Nervosa, Although I have only been on these for a month, I feel a huge difference. I , for once, actually feel like I can get better, and I am getting better. I can laugh, I can think clearly, I can breathe again. However, I get very nauseous on these, and it seems only eating cures that, which is out of the question for me at the moment.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2014 3:46 PM

Review by Eliza_nsw:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: When I first took Effexor I was in the first few days a bit jittery, but then I felt like I hadn't felt in years or ever. It was such a God send. Then with doctors advice after approx 12 mths I went off it. I went on it two more times, but my dose was higher and higher- no real help to me. Then a third time, I went off my head on it. The anxiety was woeful, so severe. I phoned up the help line for mental health and got the usual spiel- give it time, yes, it can cause that, speak with you doctor and so on. I read how this can happens then wamo it works. But I had already been on it before and never had such side effects. It was horrible, and scary. My personal experience is two opposites. Good and horrible.

November 25, 2014 8:25 AM

Review by Kazzawan62 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Hot Flashes: I have taken these for three days and my hot flashes stopped within 48 hrs fantastic

November 24, 2014 5:35 PM

Review by getmebettersoon:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Its early days but I have over the last 12 months tried mirtazapine and citalpram. I'm currently on a low dose but I suspect my GP will want to up my dose.

November 22, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by TeTee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Hot Flashes: I have been on Effexor 37.5 mg for three months for Hot Flashes. After my first bedtime dose, I was feeling lightheaded and a little jittery the next morning but those symptoms went away after three days. Before Effexor I would wake up several times a night due to the Hot Flashes. I am a totally different person and a pleasure to be around. I am dating again after a two year hiatus and the medication has not affected my sex drive.

November 18, 2014 9:16 PM

Review by Hullaboo:

For Anxiety: I used to be strong and positive. Many deaths in the family including my daughter. And terrible post traumatic stress disorder and PND meant I wasn't coping with life. Panic attacks sent me to hospital. I was convinced I was going to have a cardiac arrest. Started on 37.5mg then progressed to 75. Brilliant stuff. I'm lucky in that I have had no side effects and I feel like a new person. Highly recommended.

November 18, 2014 7:02 AM

Review by sailor70 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Have been on a lot of different antidepressants for anxiety. Most meds made my condition worse (making me more hyper) or made me 'not care' (eg citalopram). Although it's been hard getting used to Effexor - it made me very sick for the first few weeks and affected my sleep - I now feel more in control now than I've ever been before.

November 17, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: It gave me my life back. I once again live life

November 2, 2014 7:30 AM

Review by missykfish (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have taken medications for 10 years, and they have, basically, helped me cope with depression. Effexor is outstanding. I take it in the morning, and it helps all day.

October 25, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by KATYJAMES:

For Depression: I started taking Venlafexine 75 mg daily 5 weeks ago for Major Depressive Disorder. I was first tried on Prozac 40 mg and it did not help at all. For several months I was feeling constantly exhausted, no energy, no motivation, crying, and missing a lot of work. On the 2nd week of Venlafexine I noticed I wasn't feeling so exhausted and starting to get my energy back. I am now on week 5 and feeling like myself again. I'm able to get through work and come home and take care of things around the house. Where before I was leaving work early and going straight to bed. I am very glad my doctor started me on this medication. Before the Prozac I had never been on any medication before. I have had no side effects or weight gain.

October 24, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by The cardiac nurse:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I started this medicine in nursing school. Very much so needed. I started seeing myself with less worry, and a more of a "whatever" type of mentality. I figured that worked for me. However, my biggest problem has been the weight gain. Before I knew it I gained atleast 25 lbs. I'm a very active person and I do what wait I eat, especially since I am a cardiac nurse. Also make sure you NEVER miss a day of the medication. My side effects would be vertigo and shooting nerve pains in my head. I just upped my dosage to 150mg hoping it will increase my energy and help with weight loss. I was really bad off emotionally before so besides everything above, I have my life back.

October 23, 2014 11:30 PM

Review by nynyer (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Worked quite well for sometime. Had side effects which were attributed to another medicine I was on at the time. Through trial and error it was discovered the other medicine was not at fault. I was having kidney problems along with frequent edema in my legs and feet. Also constant mucus and tightness in throat. Helped with depression but side effects became serious. Also weight gain. Dr tapered me off this medicine.

October 19, 2014 8:46 AM

Review by j1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Celexa stopped working and I was put on Effexor. My panic attacks are worse then they have ever been, my depression is totally off the charts and I physically shake all the time. The irritability is by far the worst part for me. I'm forever angry now on this medication. My friends and family have noticed a big difference in my personality. Definitely getting of of this medication!

October 13, 2014 9:16 AM

Review by Lynn2713:

For Fibromyalgia: I was so surprised...within 4-5 days the major discomfort from fibromyalgia was nearly gone. I could sleep more comfortably and did not feel like the princess and the pea when I laid down. I hope it continues.

October 4, 2014 4:29 PM

Review by WasHopeless (taken for less than 1 month):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I started taking Effexor XR about two weeks ago on a very low dose. I am also taking Levbid twice a day. Between those two, my symptoms are almost non existent. The doctor wants to raise the dosage next week and I am ok with that since it is supposed to help my anxiety, which is a trigger for my irritable bowel syndrome symptoms. I will say, the first week, the side effects were horrible. I had the enlarged pupils, nauseous, constipation, and dizziness. They went away exactly at the 7 day mark and now I am starting to have hope I can have a normal life once again.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 8:38 AM

Review by Suecmt:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have been taking the generic, Venlafaxine for about 6 years. My doctor settled on 75 mg once daily, as increasing the dosage makes my hands tremble. It is not nearly as effective as it once was. Withdrawals for this medication are hellish. I ran out of pills on a few occasions and felt like I was losing mind. I really would like to slowly taper off and eventually be free of this medicine.

October 1, 2014 3:04 AM