User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Venlafaxine reviews 586 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Venlafaxine

Review by Cancer Crab:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Switched from Paxil 20mg to Effexor 75mg. On Paxil I just couldn't lose weight and my insurance wanted me to try an SRNI before they would pay for the newer meds like Brintellix. At first I noticed a decrease in anxiety THEN I went to work!! My job is very stressful and I have to be SPOT on!! First I noticed anxiety returning then that I was clumsy..dropping things! I then started noticing numbness and tingling in my fingers and then waking up with numb arms which would not wake up for up to 7hrs!!! I did some research and noticed that numbness/tingling of the extremities is a side effect for 20% of people taking Effexor. The numbness scared me to death! I immediately went to my Shrink and got off this damn drug! I'm going to Lexapro! Ugh!

September 23, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by Kayde:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Was so excited to try Effexor XL and did for the past 6 years. Well, I didn't realize that it made me anhedonia, or without feeling towards a lot of things. I just went on my merry way, but would do nothing....sat and watched TV, couldn't get anything done. Everything was just Great!.....that is what I thought....then I started gaining weight......gradually, but I mean 60-70# over the past 6 years or so.....but just kept on eating. Then I thought I have to do something about this. I gradually took myself off, but WOW the side effects of the withdrawl was unbelievable. My son told me never to do that again...and I told him see.....this medication has so changed me.....and I will never take that again....!Trying to lose this weight now

September 23, 2014 3:00 PM

Review by perfectbabylyahoo.com (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: Best medicine I have ever taken but tablets work best on me

September 22, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by triiv (taken for 10 years or more):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Though I could only check the MDD box, I also suffered from anxiety attacks and social anxiety. There were also several other problems that effexor XR seemed to control or help control. Depression is painful emotionally, mentally and physically, without the some kind of relief I would have been institutionalized. For maximum effectiveness, counseling by a person trained in all aspects of the disorder is the only one I found to help bring me back to a realistic understanding of how to heal. Interestingly, I found several psychiatrists that attempted counseling and were totally inept in their efforts.

September 20, 2014 3:02 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: Have been on Effexor xr 75mg for about 1 year now for anxiety & panic attacks. I had a constant odd pain in my stomach (like butterflys and hunger). I would sweat uncontrollably & get dizzy & faint if I was put in a situation I wasn't comfortable with. I went to a Dr. who diagnosed me with anxiety and put me onto Effexor. The first 3 days were hell, every bad review I read on Google I could relate to, I even ended up going to the ER one night as I felt so nauseous and felt like I was losing control and could not stop freaking out. The Dr told me to stick to it, and promised it would get better. I'm so glad I did. I feel that this medication has saved me. I can almost live a normal life again.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2014 3:30 AM

Review by cowbranch (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I use venlafaxine for major depression and to help with migraines. When on it my headaches have decreased.

September 2, 2014 6:19 AM

Review by Nadey:

For Anxiety: I've had generalized anxiety disorder for 1 year now. Tried self medicating for 6 months. No help. Went on Lexapro and it was horrible. Waking up with worse anxiety than ever. Quit after 3 weeks. Now that I'm on venlafaxine for 3 weeks. Feeling much much better. A few side effects the first week but stick with it. They go away. Mostly felt tired and loss of apatite. This medicine is working.

September 1, 2014 9:43 AM

Review by supers:

For Depression: More effective than SSRIs. Needed experimentation over a long period for maintenance dosage. Any modifications to dosage were done in small amounts, as I experienced considerable side effects. We are all different and, this is key to interpreting personal experiences!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 5:48 AM

Review by starsoul50 (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I've suffered severe anxiety/panic attacks my entire life. I've had Xanax, Valium, Prozac and Edronax over the cause of my years. I finally changed doctor, came off everything, to start where I'm at now. I began on 37.5mg over two weeks ago and noticed a difference straight away. Now on 75mg and getting better every single day. My panic attacks could cause me to pass out, so this is a huge leap in health for me. For those concerned about coming off Xanax, it's so worth the effort. I now feel like I'm getting my life back and I'm truly grateful.

August 27, 2014 12:35 AM

Review by That Lupus Guy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: I love it. I get dizzy and almost black out when I hop up. So I learned to get up slow. My pain has turned dull now instead of sharp and menacing like it's been for almost 5 yrs. Taking this with Oxycodone and Robaxin helps me get through each day. Still not well enough where I can exercise due to horrible muscle inflammation. Started on the 25mg...moved to 75mg...now I'm taking the 150mg XR and I can say that I think I should stay here.

August 17, 2014 3:25 PM

Review by Blondegirl311:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: Started taking Venlafaxine ER a year ago for anxiety. Started at 75mg daily and am currently on 150mg per day, and have been for about 8 months. It has helped a ton with the anxiety! While I am not completely clear from anxiety, it is much much better to handle. I did not gain any weight whatsoever. I do notice that if I forget to take it I feel a bit nauseous and lightheaded so I have set an alarm on my phone. I take both 75mg pills at one time so that it's done for the day. All in all, I would recommend!!

August 13, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by Juleen:

For Fibromyalgia: I have had fibromyalgia symptoms for over 2 years now, muscle cramps that stay in a locked position for days. I am in constant pain. I have only been on venlafaxine for not quite a week and have to admit it has controlled the pain to a dull ache instead of the throbbing pain before. My doctor started me out on 37.5 mgs and after 4 days we increased it to 75 mgs. I seem to tolerate this dosage well. I am happy with the benefit of helping my anxiety level. I see hope at the end of the pain tunnel.

August 9, 2014 4:38 PM

Review by Mitra_:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: Have suffered from bouts of severe anxiety over the last few years that would leave me bedridden, suicidal, unable to work or eat. Tried Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Luvox and honestly thought nothing would ever work for me. All made me worse. Psych doctor wanted to try Effexor XR but I was worried about the withdrawing from it - after trying everything else I finally agreed. Has taken a month to feel a difference. I'm enjoying things again, not chewed up by horrible anxiety, I'm actually HAPPY?! 1st month on it was so challenging - very low, anxious, exhausted, nauseous. But now no side effects. I feel like a light's gone on. Like I am getting my life back. I could sob with relief. Truly believed I'd never get better, but here I am.

August 9, 2014 7:51 AM

Review by Downout (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I have suffered with major depression my whole adult life. Have been on several types of antidepressants all of which left me feeling like a zombie. The first time I took Effexor I noticed a major swing in my moods it has been a total saviour for me. Two weeks ago I was in bad shape, today a week of Effexor I feel on top of the world . This medication with the help of family friends and councilor had without a doubt totally turned my life around now everything in my life is happy and positive. Without this medication my future would've been bleak to say the least.

August 8, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by Fuckhead:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: Effective but bad side effects of nausea.

August 5, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by King Bean (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: Great experience on Effexor. Was very anxious; maybe a little depression. Panic attacks, etc. Effexor gave me a great bump within 3 days at each dose. Ultimately, went up to 225mg (2 years). I was a new person; no worries, loving life. Went down to 150mg (2 years), and then down to 75mg (2 years). No problems. After 7 years, went off. Then I started to feel very badly again, went back on to now avail. But the 7 years I was on it, I felt tremendous. Great med for me.

August 4, 2014 2:29 PM

Review by Tepper:

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: As with all antidepressants, I tend to peak after about 5 years and my medication begins to lose its efficacy. This is the third time I have had Effexor prescribed, and each time the results have been better than with any other antidepressant. I actually enjoy parts of my life and sleep like a baby, which is a true blessing, because I have Fibromyalgia and the accompanying insomnia so common with Fibromyalgia. Several years ago my brother-in-law was having trouble with his depression medications so I told him to ask his doctor about Effexor. He has gone from suicidal to a fairly happy fellow. This medicine has literally been a life saver in our family.

August 2, 2014 3:08 PM

Effexor (venlafaxine) for Depression: I took Effexor for three years due to depression. I loved the fact that I was no longer depressed but I was tired all the time. I could sleep for 10 hours get up and two hours later I was ready to sleep again. If I missed taking a dose I would get a horrible headache. The only reason I stopped taking Effexor was due to being tired all the time. Getting off of the medication was awful. I have never been so sick in my life. If you are going to take this medicine the rest of your life I highly recommend it. It did wonders for my depression.

July 29, 2014 10:35 PM

Review by tuttifruiti (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Hot Flashes: After suffering from extreme hot flashes, night sweats and overwhelming anxiety, that I really thought was just me and my lot in life, my cousin told me about her Dr. giving her Effexor. I made an appointment and now take 75mg. I am a different person!! Sometimes have to look in the mirror to be sure it is me. It took me years to discover I can feel good!

July 28, 2014 11:50 PM

Review by o.q.m (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I am 17 years old and also have prescribed Adderall for ADHD and I am on hormone blockers for gender dysphoria. I have been on venlafaxine for 4 days and have had more than 7 serious anxiety and dysphoria attacks. I have tried Prozac and Zoloft in the past and those have had a similar effect, but nothing nearly as bad as this.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by Mommy horse:

For Hot Flashes: I went to my obgyn after experiencing a very emotional year with family and work then started hot flashes!! Thankfully, my obgyn was wonderful and didn't think I was crazy! She prescribed 75 mg Effexor -generic venlafaxine -much cheaper too. I saw improvement in hot flashes and mood within 2 days. I am on week 2 and feel more like my old self, minor hot flash symptoms, lost 4 pounds and I don't feel the need to eat everything in sight! First week I did experience sleepiness and yawning but that has gone away and I am alert and feeling good!

July 27, 2014 10:40 AM

Review by My experience (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Effexor has changed my life. I have always had bad anxiety but it got out of control after a traumatic event 3 years ago. Finally decided I needed some help and was prescribed Effexor. I doubted it would help - I tried Lexapro a few years before and had awful panic attacks. I am so glad I was wrong and gave Effexor a chance! My anxiety has greatly decreased and I'm now able to function and think about things other than worries. I had some unexpected benefits too including reduced social anxiety, I'm more motivated, increased confidence, and a general feeling of happiness and well-being. No real negative side effects - I have lost about 15 pounds and I was a normal weight. I feel like this is how I should have been feeling all my life.

July 26, 2014 11:15 PM

Review by adam1994:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Anxiety: I'm 19 and have suffered with anxiety for three years or so. Previously had been on Prozac and Lexapro which were both hellish. Began taking Effexor XR two months ago and started feeling better two weeks through but out of no where the medication not only ceased to work but actually made my anxiety a lot worse. Have horrible agitation, depression, irritability and insomnia. Pity I could really do with an antidepressant than works!

July 24, 2014 8:50 PM

Review by AA2288:

For Anxiety and Stress: Took this for almost five months and noticed a major impact on my sex drive. I never ever wanted to have sex like at all. Gave me killer dry mouth and I gained 8 pounds. Quit taking it three weeks ago and sex drive is back to normal and no more dry mouth.

July 15, 2014 1:36 PM

Review by MawMaw10:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine) for Depression: I have been on Effexor XR 150 mg for 20 years it certainly has help with my suicidal thoughts and panic attacks. I also take 2 x 1mg of Xanax. I started seeing a new primary care doctor yesterday who thinks I should be taken off both since I have been on it for so long but I have read some awful things about the withdrawal problems and it makes me scared.

July 11, 2014 3:47 PM