User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by carnivalofsouls (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Overall venlafaxine did what it was supposed to do, it kept my moods level, however; the withdrawals from having to stop it after becoming pregnant were horrible. Even with titrating off of it my brain and body felt like they were going to explode. The brain shivers landed me in the hospital (hyperemesis gravidarum didn't exactly help). The withdrawals alone will stop me from ever taking venlafaxine again.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2014 11:57 PM

Review by HoosierMiMI (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Effexor for almost 20 years now. The withdraw from this drug is horrific, so I try to make sure I always take it. It has only just barely maintained my mood and I've had 3 admissions to a Psych ward over the years. But it was a God send when I was first put on it, because at least now I was able to function and control my rages and my depression somewhat. After my last break down I was put on Abilify (which I now can't afford) along with my Effexor and I was suddenly awake for the first time in 35 years, it was an amazing combination for me. I hope to be able to afford the Abilify once again but for now my Effexor maintains me at a somewhat tolerable level!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2014 11:33 AM

Review by qwerty_lv (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Effexor is the only medicine that helps my depression. Only side effect, was sexual dysfunction but now that is completely gone. I take 187.5mg a day.

August 15, 2013 1:18 PM

Review by SLP 49:

Effexor (venlafaxine): Worked within one week. Took years ago, stopped, recently placed back on it, 75mg with Lamictal 100mg. Life back to 75% normal.

July 6, 2013 8:18 AM

Review by Veda (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine): After 4 years of trying all the other anti-depressants I was put on Effexor. From the first day it was like the lights were turned on. If I go 2 days without I can't stop crying and is difficult to function. I don't have insurance and a low income so it's really tough at times. I feel like I need to increase the dose but 225mg is the max.

April 30, 2013 2:01 PM

Review by svert76 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor (venlafaxine): Great miracle.

April 15, 2013 8:15 AM

Review by Sophronia:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been taking Effexor XR for nearly four years now. It did take a while, around 6 months, to really relate a big difference. But, due to costs the doctor put me on regular Effexor and it was uncomfortable and I was afraid I would get in that terrible suicidal tunnel. Went back to Effexor XR and am doing fine. I don't feel any side effects and it blends well with other medications I have to take. I sure hope the effects do not wear off. The other medications I take are Lamictal and Keppra ER, I am an epileptic. No problems there either.

March 9, 2013 1:57 AM

Review by spaceshipaliengoddess (taken for 10 years or more):

Effexor (venlafaxine): If I was not on Effexor (in combination with Lithium & Seroquel), truthfully, I would not be here to write this. With investigation by my psychiatrist into my medical records, we identified I have been bipolar for 40 years. Many of them I was not treated, even though I spent three different times in a "mental" facility. The only identification for me was that I was a difficult and troubled person. When I finally met the psychiatrist I have today, with his help and his innate understanding of what bipolar is, it only took 3 or 4 different prescriptions to finally arrive at Effexor giving me the best overall help. As I mentioned earlier, this prescription has truly been a life saver. No bothersome side effects.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2013 9:44 PM

Review by krazyk65 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking this for 2 years now and it has been the best thing to happen to me. It was only when I had had bad suicidal thoughts that my doctor finally realized I had bipolar. They just kept saying I was depressed but to be fair I never told them how bad it was until I had a complete breakdown. After being admitted to the hospital I had to speak to a Councillor and was a few seconds away from being sectioned under the mental health act that they realized I was worse than what I was originally saying. Venlafaxine has made my life and my kids life better. I am on 225mg per day 75mg night and 150mg mornings.

December 20, 2012 9:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine): Very difficult to stop taking it

August 28, 2012 5:02 PM

Review by PandaMorningstar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am a 17 year old female who has had manic depression for about 6 years. I had it pretty well-managed while I was on a combination of Wellbutrin and Celexa. However, I started hallucinating from the Celexa so my doctor switched me to venlafaxine. The switch of the medications was bad. I would scream and cry and freak out for no reason at all. I also had terrible headaches. I decided to keep on it to see if it got better...and it did. About 2 weeks into it I started noticing that I would hardly ever have anxiety or manic episodes. I'm about 3 months into it now, and I hate it. For some reason the venlafaxine has done the exact opposite of what it is supposed to do. I have hysterical crying and screaming fits at least once a day.

July 23, 2012 2:28 AM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): The half-life of this medicine seemed to decrease over time for me (I was on this medication for several years). Eventually the withdrawal syndrome went from an onset of about 2 days to half a day - meaning if I forgot to take it in the morning, by mid-afternoon I was experiencing debilitating body aches, nausea, irritability, difficulty concentrating, and general malaise.

March 1, 2012 1:03 AM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have tried Effexor XR no good for me. I found it to be nothing but a sleeping pill.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2011 2:36 PM

Review by N3GU:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): It made my "down side" not go as deep, but I felt like I could not leave the house - I didn't want to. No visitors - didn't want any. Since I'm a very social person my friends and family were concerned. My "up side was better - I wasn't POed all the time and the thought racing slowed way down. Not the best experience, but better than the whole trip down the rabbit hole it would have been.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2011 3:08 AM

Effexor (venlafaxine): Effexor has saved my life. I had depression and anxiety so bad, I couldn't function and was suicidal. Couldn't leave my house, I wouldn't leave my bedroom or eat for days at a time. Since taking the Effexor, I can't believe how much better I feel. I feel 100%, doing the things that I should be doing, just like everyone else.

August 29, 2011 10:07 PM

Effexor (venlafaxine): After trying a variety of medications over the years the doctor put me on Effexor. This medicine has by far been the best treatment! I am thankful to find something that finally stabilizes my mood AND doesn't interfere with concentration!

March 24, 2011 5:37 AM

Effexor (venlafaxine): I take Effexor 2 x daily. If I don't take it then all I get done in a day is crying. It has worked very well for me.

February 1, 2011 8:29 PM

Review by Leroy Higgins:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I take anywhere between 112.5 and 187.5 mg of Effexor XR. It is the only thing that has worked on my bipolar depression. It has been a miracle medicine for me. Nonetheless, one has to be careful. I was manic on it at 150 mg without a mood stabilizer. Now I take 20 mg Abilify with it, and it is working great.

October 28, 2010 9:47 AM

Review by drugcount:

Effexor (venlafaxine): Made me sleepy but, as I've been on it for years, it doesn't have that effect on me anymore. No other side effects. Also, helped with my trichotiliomania.

June 25, 2010 10:28 AM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Its very good. Your day will be started off on a good track.

May 6, 2010 10:04 PM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I love this medication for the positive affects as far as helping my depression and such. I have been on it for over 10 years. I thought about getting off of it a few years ago and had horrible withdrawal symptoms. It is almost like electricity running through your head and face. If I miss two doses I am flat on my back sick. I can't keep my eyes open because of the visual disturbances. Its like all of my senses are heightened and when I move my head it almost feels like everything kind of moves with a short shift. Needless to say. I didn't get off of it. It is really strange. The withdrawal symptoms lasted more than a week and didn't improve until I started taking it again.

February 13, 2010 11:48 PM

Review by embrys4ever:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I've been on Effexor XR for almost a decade. The withdrawal symptoms have prevented me from stopping it. Every attempt in the past to change/stop the medicine has landed me in the hospital. I am now taking the generic due to the cost, I can't see any difference. I consider it my happy pill and have to take it every day or I experience uncomfortable side effects.

November 14, 2009 5:19 PM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): This is the best medicine I have been on in years. It gives you a continued feeling not a low or uncaring feeling.

November 1, 2009 9:47 AM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I take 225mg a day. I experience withdrawal symptoms throughout the day. I have missed a couple doses and felt like I was relapsing. The medicine helped me. But the side effects are affecting me physically and have become more and more of a nuisance for me over the last year. I experience a tingling in my lips and get a nervous feeling throughout the day now. Jittery and antsy. I soon will hopefully start the tapering process.

October 30, 2009 1:11 PM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): In my case it triggered a manic episode, so I'm no longer on it, but a family member takes it for clinical depression and has seen wonderful results.

October 27, 2009 12:44 AM