User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by HoosierMiMI (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Effexor for almost 20 years now. The withdraw from this drug is horrific, so I try to make sure I always take it. It has only just barely maintained my mood and I've had 3 admissions to a Psych ward over the years. But it was a God send when I was first put on it, because at least now I was able to function and control my rages and my depression somewhat. After my last break down I was put on Abilify (which I now can't afford) along with my Effexor and I was suddenly awake for the first time in 35 years, it was an amazing combination for me. I hope to be able to afford the Abilify once again but for now my Effexor maintains me at a somewhat tolerable level!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2014 11:33 AM

Review by qwerty_lv (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Effexor is the only medicine that helps my depression. Only side effect, was sexual dysfunction but now that is completely gone. I take 187.5mg a day.

August 15, 2013 1:18 PM

Review by SLP 49:

Effexor (venlafaxine): Worked within one week. Took years ago, stopped, recently placed back on it, 75mg with Lamictal 100mg. Life back to 75% normal.

July 6, 2013 8:18 AM

Review by Veda (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine): After 4 years of trying all the other anti-depressants I was put on Effexor. From the first day it was like the lights were turned on. If I go 2 days without I can't stop crying and is difficult to function. I don't have insurance and a low income so it's really tough at times. I feel like I need to increase the dose but 225mg is the max.

April 30, 2013 2:01 PM

Review by svert76 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor (venlafaxine): Great miracle.

April 15, 2013 8:15 AM

Review by Sophronia:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been taking Effexor XR for nearly four years now. It did take a while, around 6 months, to really relate a big difference. But, due to costs the doctor put me on regular Effexor and it was uncomfortable and I was afraid I would get in that terrible suicidal tunnel. Went back to Effexor XR and am doing fine. I don't feel any side effects and it blends well with other medications I have to take. I sure hope the effects do not wear off. The other medications I take are Lamictal and Keppra ER, I am an epileptic. No problems there either.

March 9, 2013 1:57 AM

Review by spaceshipaliengoddess (taken for 10 years or more):

Effexor (venlafaxine): If I was not on Effexor (in combination with Lithium & Seroquel), truthfully, I would not be here to write this. With investigation by my psychiatrist into my medical records, we identified I have been bipolar for 40 years. Many of them I was not treated, even though I spent three different times in a "mental" facility. The only identification for me was that I was a difficult and troubled person. When I finally met the psychiatrist I have today, with his help and his innate understanding of what bipolar is, it only took 3 or 4 different prescriptions to finally arrive at Effexor giving me the best overall help. As I mentioned earlier, this prescription has truly been a life saver. No bothersome side effects.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2013 9:44 PM

Review by krazyk65 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking this for 2 years now and it has been the best thing to happen to me. It was only when I had had bad suicidal thoughts that my doctor finally realized I had bipolar. They just kept saying I was depressed but to be fair I never told them how bad it was until I had a complete breakdown. After being admitted to the hospital I had to speak to a Councillor and was a few seconds away from being sectioned under the mental health act that they realized I was worse than what I was originally saying. Venlafaxine has made my life and my kids life better. I am on 225mg per day 75mg night and 150mg mornings.

December 20, 2012 9:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine): Very difficult to stop taking it

August 28, 2012 5:02 PM

Review by PandaMorningstar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am a 17 year old female who has had manic depression for about 6 years. I had it pretty well-managed while I was on a combination of Wellbutrin and Celexa. However, I started hallucinating from the Celexa so my doctor switched me to venlafaxine. The switch of the medications was bad. I would scream and cry and freak out for no reason at all. I also had terrible headaches. I decided to keep on it to see if it got better...and it did. About 2 weeks into it I started noticing that I would hardly ever have anxiety or manic episodes. I'm about 3 months into it now, and I hate it. For some reason the venlafaxine has done the exact opposite of what it is supposed to do. I have hysterical crying and screaming fits at least once a day.

July 23, 2012 2:28 AM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): The half-life of this medicine seemed to decrease over time for me (I was on this medication for several years). Eventually the withdrawal syndrome went from an onset of about 2 days to half a day - meaning if I forgot to take it in the morning, by mid-afternoon I was experiencing debilitating body aches, nausea, irritability, difficulty concentrating, and general malaise.

March 1, 2012 1:03 AM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have tried Effexor XR no good for me. I found it to be nothing but a sleeping pill.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2011 2:36 PM

Review by N3GU:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): It made my "down side" not go as deep, but I felt like I could not leave the house - I didn't want to. No visitors - didn't want any. Since I'm a very social person my friends and family were concerned. My "up side was better - I wasn't POed all the time and the thought racing slowed way down. Not the best experience, but better than the whole trip down the rabbit hole it would have been.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2011 3:08 AM

Effexor (venlafaxine): Effexor has saved my life. I had depression and anxiety so bad, I couldn't function and was suicidal. Couldn't leave my house, I wouldn't leave my bedroom or eat for days at a time. Since taking the Effexor, I can't believe how much better I feel. I feel 100%, doing the things that I should be doing, just like everyone else.

August 29, 2011 10:07 PM

Effexor (venlafaxine): After trying a variety of medications over the years the doctor put me on Effexor. This medicine has by far been the best treatment! I am thankful to find something that finally stabilizes my mood AND doesn't interfere with concentration!

March 24, 2011 5:37 AM

Effexor (venlafaxine): I take Effexor 2 x daily. If I don't take it then all I get done in a day is crying. It has worked very well for me.

February 1, 2011 8:29 PM

Review by Leroy Higgins:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I take anywhere between 112.5 and 187.5 mg of Effexor XR. It is the only thing that has worked on my bipolar depression. It has been a miracle medicine for me. Nonetheless, one has to be careful. I was manic on it at 150 mg without a mood stabilizer. Now I take 20 mg Abilify with it, and it is working great.

October 28, 2010 9:47 AM

Review by drugcount:

Effexor (venlafaxine): Made me sleepy but, as I've been on it for years, it doesn't have that effect on me anymore. No other side effects. Also, helped with my trichotiliomania.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2010 10:28 AM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Its very good. Your day will be started off on a good track.

May 6, 2010 10:04 PM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I love this medication for the positive affects as far as helping my depression and such. I have been on it for over 10 years. I thought about getting off of it a few years ago and had horrible withdrawal symptoms. It is almost like electricity running through your head and face. If I miss two doses I am flat on my back sick. I can't keep my eyes open because of the visual disturbances. Its like all of my senses are heightened and when I move my head it almost feels like everything kind of moves with a short shift. Needless to say. I didn't get off of it. It is really strange. The withdrawal symptoms lasted more than a week and didn't improve until I started taking it again.

February 13, 2010 11:48 PM

Review by embrys4ever:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I've been on Effexor XR for almost a decade. The withdrawal symptoms have prevented me from stopping it. Every attempt in the past to change/stop the medicine has landed me in the hospital. I am now taking the generic due to the cost, I can't see any difference. I consider it my happy pill and have to take it every day or I experience uncomfortable side effects.

November 14, 2009 5:19 PM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): This is the best medicine I have been on in years. It gives you a continued feeling not a low or uncaring feeling.

November 1, 2009 9:47 AM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I take 225mg a day. I experience withdrawal symptoms throughout the day. I have missed a couple doses and felt like I was relapsing. The medicine helped me. But the side effects are affecting me physically and have become more and more of a nuisance for me over the last year. I experience a tingling in my lips and get a nervous feeling throughout the day now. Jittery and antsy. I soon will hopefully start the tapering process.

October 30, 2009 1:11 PM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): In my case it triggered a manic episode, so I'm no longer on it, but a family member takes it for clinical depression and has seen wonderful results.

October 27, 2009 12:44 AM

Review by AshleyV:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have tried at least a dozen different psychiatric drugs, and Effexor XR works better for my depression than anything else has, and it does not make me at all manic. I also had a positive side effect it made me lose weight! I was very pleased.

October 12, 2009 7:45 PM