User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I started on this after trying most of the SSRI's and Mirtazapine. Only the Mirtazapine worked for my mood but I had horrific side effects with it so doctor suggested Venlafaxine. I started on 37.5mg twice a day and got quite bad nausea for about a week. After that had gone it was great. My mood dropped a bit from being happy on Mirtazapine to being on such a low dose of Venlafaxine but now I'm on 150mg a day it seems to be improving again. I'm very careful not to miss a dose though from what I've read about the withdrawal symptoms. This should be a long term medication for me as it works and I've got no long term side effects."

Pelixue May 29, 2015

"I may have had good experiences with Effexor the first six months or so. But, without a mood stabilizer, I soon went into a hypomanic stage. At times, on the medicine, I went into an full-blown manic phases. Once again, without a mood stabilizer. The most challenging part about this medicine, (or the generic venlafaxine which I took) is quitting it. Now, I am a poster child for doing it wrong, no doubt. That is, it is extremely challenging to quit this medicine going Cold Turkey. You will read online where people will tell you point blank, "Do not quit this medicine cold turkey." Listen to them. It took at least five months to feel like this medicine was totally out of my system."

Bipolar Brad (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2015

"Been on 150mg of Venlafaxine for 12 years upped a year ago to 225mg and havent noticed a difference. my daughter knows when i haven't taken it though....i either go manic or very low. I still have more lows than highs. I am 51 years old now and was first put on Valium at 2.5 years old. I was told years ago it was Clinical Depression with Manic Tendencies...my eldest brother had the same (other 2 brothers...no mental illness) as me....he committed Suicide a number of years ago."

Tazzidevil (taken for 10 years or more) March 6, 2015

"Overall venlafaxine did what it was supposed to do, it kept my moods level, however; the withdrawals from having to stop it after becoming pregnant were horrible. Even with titrating off of it my brain and body felt like they were going to explode. The brain shivers landed me in the hospital (hyperemesis gravidarum didn't exactly help). The withdrawals alone will stop me from ever taking venlafaxine again."

carnivalofsouls (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 17, 2014

"I have been on Effexor for almost 20 years now. The withdraw from this drug is horrific, so I try to make sure I always take it. It has only just barely maintained my mood and I've had 3 admissions to a Psych ward over the years. But it was a God send when I was first put on it, because at least now I was able to function and control my rages and my depression somewhat. After my last break down I was put on Abilify (which I now can't afford) along with my Effexor and I was suddenly awake for the first time in 35 years, it was an amazing combination for me. I hope to be able to afford the Abilify once again but for now my Effexor maintains me at a somewhat tolerable level!"

HoosierMiMI (taken for 10 years or more) April 14, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor is the only medicine that helps my depression. Only side effect, was sexual dysfunction but now that is completely gone. I take 187.5mg a day."

qwerty_lv (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2013

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Worked within one week. Took years ago, stopped, recently placed back on it, 75mg with Lamictal 100mg. Life back to 75% normal."

SLP 49 July 6, 2013

Effexor (venlafaxine): "After 4 years of trying all the other anti-depressants I was put on Effexor. From the first day it was like the lights were turned on. If I go 2 days without I can't stop crying and is difficult to function. I don't have insurance and a low income so it's really tough at times. I feel like I need to increase the dose but 225mg is the max."

Veda (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 30, 2013

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Great miracle."

svert76 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2013

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been taking Effexor XR for nearly four years now. It did take a while, around 6 months, to really relate a big difference. But, due to costs the doctor put me on regular Effexor and it was uncomfortable and I was afraid I would get in that terrible suicidal tunnel. Went back to Effexor XR and am doing fine. I don't feel any side effects and it blends well with other medications I have to take. I sure hope the effects do not wear off. The other medications I take are Lamictal and Keppra ER, I am an epileptic. No problems there either."

Sophronia March 9, 2013

Effexor (venlafaxine): "If I was not on Effexor (in combination with Lithium & Seroquel), truthfully, I would not be here to write this. With investigation by my psychiatrist into my medical records, we identified I have been bipolar for 40 years. Many of them I was not treated, even though I spent three different times in a "mental" facility. The only identification for me was that I was a difficult and troubled person. When I finally met the psychiatrist I have today, with his help and his innate understanding of what bipolar is, it only took 3 or 4 different prescriptions to finally arrive at Effexor giving me the best overall help. As I mentioned earlier, this prescription has truly been a life saver. No bothersome side effects."

spaceshipaliengoddess (taken for 10 years or more) February 5, 2013

"I have been taking this for 2 years now and it has been the best thing to happen to me. It was only when I had had bad suicidal thoughts that my doctor finally realized I had bipolar. They just kept saying I was depressed but to be fair I never told them how bad it was until I had a complete breakdown. After being admitted to the hospital I had to speak to a Councillor and was a few seconds away from being sectioned under the mental health act that they realized I was worse than what I was originally saying. Venlafaxine has made my life and my kids life better. I am on 225mg per day 75mg night and 150mg mornings."

krazyk65 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 20, 2012

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Very difficult to stop taking it"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 28, 2012

"I am a 17 year old female who has had manic depression for about 6 years. I had it pretty well-managed while I was on a combination of Wellbutrin and Celexa. However, I started hallucinating from the Celexa so my doctor switched me to venlafaxine. The switch of the medications was bad. I would scream and cry and freak out for no reason at all. I also had terrible headaches. I decided to keep on it to see if it got better...and it did. About 2 weeks into it I started noticing that I would hardly ever have anxiety or manic episodes. I'm about 3 months into it now, and I hate it. For some reason the venlafaxine has done the exact opposite of what it is supposed to do. I have hysterical crying and screaming fits at least once a day."

PandaMorningstar (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2012

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "The half-life of this medicine seemed to decrease over time for me (I was on this medication for several years). Eventually the withdrawal syndrome went from an onset of about 2 days to half a day - meaning if I forgot to take it in the morning, by mid-afternoon I was experiencing debilitating body aches, nausea, irritability, difficulty concentrating, and general malaise."

Anonymous March 1, 2012

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have tried Effexor XR no good for me. I found it to be nothing but a sleeping pill."

Anonymous December 21, 2011

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "It made my "down side" not go as deep, but I felt like I could not leave the house - I didn't want to. No visitors - didn't want any. Since I'm a very social person my friends and family were concerned. My "up side was better - I wasn't POed all the time and the thought racing slowed way down. Not the best experience, but better than the whole trip down the rabbit hole it would have been."

N3GU September 14, 2011

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Effexor has saved my life. I had depression and anxiety so bad, I couldn't function and was suicidal. Couldn't leave my house, I wouldn't leave my bedroom or eat for days at a time. Since taking the Effexor, I can't believe how much better I feel. I feel 100%, doing the things that I should be doing, just like everyone else."

Anonymous August 29, 2011

Effexor (venlafaxine): "After trying a variety of medications over the years the doctor put me on Effexor. This medicine has by far been the best treatment! I am thankful to find something that finally stabilizes my mood AND doesn't interfere with concentration!"

Anonymous March 24, 2011

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I take Effexor 2 x daily. If I don't take it then all I get done in a day is crying. It has worked very well for me."

Anonymous February 1, 2011

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I take anywhere between 112.5 and 187.5 mg of Effexor XR. It is the only thing that has worked on my bipolar depression. It has been a miracle medicine for me. Nonetheless, one has to be careful. I was manic on it at 150 mg without a mood stabilizer. Now I take 20 mg Abilify with it, and it is working great."

Leroy Higgins October 28, 2010

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Made me sleepy but, as I've been on it for years, it doesn't have that effect on me anymore. No other side effects. Also, helped with my trichotiliomania."

drugcount June 25, 2010

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Its very good. Your day will be started off on a good track."

Anonymous May 6, 2010

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I love this medication for the positive affects as far as helping my depression and such. I have been on it for over 10 years. I thought about getting off of it a few years ago and had horrible withdrawal symptoms. It is almost like electricity running through your head and face. If I miss two doses I am flat on my back sick. I can't keep my eyes open because of the visual disturbances. Its like all of my senses are heightened and when I move my head it almost feels like everything kind of moves with a short shift. Needless to say. I didn't get off of it. It is really strange. The withdrawal symptoms lasted more than a week and didn't improve until I started taking it again."

Anonymous February 13, 2010

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been on Effexor XR for almost a decade. The withdrawal symptoms have prevented me from stopping it. Every attempt in the past to change/stop the medicine has landed me in the hospital. I am now taking the generic due to the cost, I can't see any difference. I consider it my happy pill and have to take it every day or I experience uncomfortable side effects."

embrys4ever November 14, 2009