User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Panic Disorder

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "After very unsuccessful attempts with Lexapro and Prozac, I started on Effexor XR 2 months ago. Really suffered a lot to have my system adapted to it in the first 5 days. After that I had 2 wonderful weeks. It has helped me a lot with panic attacks I used to have (specially dizziness and balacing issues), butI have started suffering with huge stomach pains. I thinks those are related to effexor."

Guita May 20, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Overall good, no side effects, only some little red dots on the skin, doctor says thats normal"

t. beaver April 20, 2015

"I started having disabling panic attacks 2008. Was first put on Paxil CR. Stopped after 2 yrs cause I was grazing on food and gained weight. In 2013, attacks came back with a vengeance after death of my Dad. Put on Sertaline. Love how it made me feel, so mellow but grazing one again. Gained 20 pounds in 6 months! Stop that med now on Effexor for two months. Don't feel like grazing. Mood is pretty okay. In the meantime, found out I had allergy to dairy, wheat & sugar. Eliminate them and feel marvelous combined with Effexor. Exercise, proper food, and a good drug makes all the difference. Good luck."

patay (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2014

"My first dose of 37.5 mg I experienced a surge of adrenaline, dizziness, nausea, sweating, jittery, shakiness. Symptoms started 2 hours after dose lasting about 2-4 hours. Each day the symptoms lessened and disappeared quicker. I have only been on this for 2 weeks but I do feel more optimistic and upbeat so far despite side effects."

anonymously February 17, 2014

"Been on Effexor XR/ Venlafaxine ER 75 mgs. for a number of years now to damp down the panic attacks I began having at 3 am every morning (like clockwork) some time after menopause. Very effective at stopping the panic attacks once I got up to blood level (about 8 weeks). In between took Lorazepam nightly until the Venlafaxine kicked in. Due to intense itching and some hives, as well as fatigue, on the Venlafaxine. I switch to 37.5 mgs. here and there for a day, which has helped. Killed my sex drive, however, and periodically have headaches."

Roxie62 May 15, 2013

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor XR for 8 years. I was on 75mg once a day for the first 8 following my first year of college. A couple months ago I started exhibiting symptoms of panic disorder again, very severely. I was upped to 150mg once a day, seemed fine for a couple weeks, but upped again to 187.5mg once a day since I was still having panic attacks. Generally I feel like it is working - I know that there are some people on much higher dosages, and it is just a matter of finding your right dosage."

Anonymous June 23, 2012

"I began taking this medicine about 10 years ago. For changes in my condition, dosage has ranged for 37.5- to max 375mg daily. This medication has been extremely successful in controlling symptoms enough to seek all sorts of recommended therapy. I have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks compounded by agoraphobia. Post traumatic stress disroder was initial diagnosis the above mentioned came later. Side effects at 150mgs daily and above have been significant weight gain and lack of sex drive. Lower doses offered same side effects although manageable. Lowering dosage to discontinue caused manageable discomfort."

Heartshapedcherry July 22, 2011

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been taking Effexor XR for several years, alternating between 37.5 mg and 75 mg when needed. I feel better, but it still does not keep me from having attacks. I have to take an Ativan when I have an attack to get it to stop. I have been dealing with this for about 12 years and Effexor XR is the most effective out of Celexa and Zoloft."

NoExcuses November 4, 2010

"This drug has been a God-send for me! I have had depression since the birth of my second child, 7 years ago. I was on Zoloft for years which worked well. However, after a series of troubling situations, I developed anxiety and panic. The panic attacks were so bad that I kept ending up in the hospital thinking I was having heart attacks, even though my heart is completely healthy. I went to an amazing doctor who worked with me to find the right medication, and since starting Venlafaxine, I have been panic free!!! For those who suffer from panic attacks, you know what an amazing feeling this is. I didn't know I could have my life back, but I do! I feel more like myself now than I have in years!"

mommymilk March 25, 2010

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I had suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since adolescence (with random social anxiety). In college, it got so bad I was having a hard time functioning. I've been on Effexor XR for 9 years now and its been 9 yrs with NO anxiety or 1 single panic attack with no lasting side effects. It is a miracle! At the beginning I was over-medicated with 225mg (no sense of time, heart raced, weird brain "flashes", very hyper), but I am stable on a lower dosage of 75 mg with no side-effects. I've even been pregnant/breastfed on 75 mg and have a healthy child. Effexor XR saved my life. It truly is a miracle drug! Before it, I suffered so much, I couldn't imagine life could be this good!"

molls62 February 27, 2010

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This medicine is good for depression but did nothing for me in terms of anxiety or panic."

SS122 December 18, 2009

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor was given to me a few years ago for depression. The first time I took it I felt extremely anxious and panicky. I ended up going to the ER. The doctor had to give me Ativan and Clonidine. My blood pressure shot up higher than it's ever been. "

heart attack special December 2, 2009

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I'm 19 years old and have been on Effexor for about 2 years now. The day before my High School graduation I went on it after having a huge panic attack and finally being diagnosed with anxiety (surprisingly I never knew I had it). This has given me my life back. I can't remember when my last panic attack was. I'd recommend it."

Anonymous May 13, 2009

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I found Effexor to be a good medication for my symptoms which were anxiety, panic, slight depression. I forced myself to get off of this medication because all it really does is mask the problem. It took me two tries to get off it. I had been taking 75mg for 5 years, eventually moving up to 150mg."

GKBJ August 5, 2008

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I had crippling anxiety. I couldn't even make it to the grocrey store some days.... I have been on Paxil and Lexapro prior to taking Effexor. Effexor has changed my life and made me feel like my self again. Ihave been taking it for about 7months now and I have had no side effects except that I have had a few vivid dreams. These are happy dreams but I can remember EVERY detail when I normally do not remember dreaming at all."

Anonymous March 7, 2008

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Panic Disorder