User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Panic Disorder

Review by patay (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started having disabling panic attacks 2008. Was first put on Paxil CR. Stopped after 2 yrs cause I was grazing on food and gained weight. In 2013, attacks came back with a vengeance after death of my Dad. Put on Sertaline. Love how it made me feel, so mellow but grazing one again. Gained 20 pounds in 6 months! Stop that med now on Effexor for two months. Don't feel like grazing. Mood is pretty okay. In the meantime, found out I had allergy to dairy, wheat & sugar. Eliminate them and feel marvelous combined with Effexor. Exercise, proper food, and a good drug makes all the difference. Good luck.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by anonymously:

My first dose of 37.5 mg I experienced a surge of adrenaline, dizziness, nausea, sweating, jittery, shakiness. Symptoms started 2 hours after dose lasting about 2-4 hours. Each day the symptoms lessened and disappeared quicker. I have only been on this for 2 weeks but I do feel more optimistic and upbeat so far despite side effects.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by Roxie62:

Been on Effexor XR/ Venlafaxine ER 75 mgs. for a number of years now to damp down the panic attacks I began having at 3 am every morning (like clockwork) some time after menopause. Very effective at stopping the panic attacks once I got up to blood level (about 8 weeks). In between took Lorazepam nightly until the Venlafaxine kicked in. Due to intense itching and some hives, as well as fatigue, on the Venlafaxine. I switch to 37.5 mgs. here and there for a day, which has helped. Killed my sex drive, however, and periodically have headaches.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2013 4:44 PM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been on Effexor XR for 8 years. I was on 75mg once a day for the first 8 following my first year of college. A couple months ago I started exhibiting symptoms of panic disorder again, very severely. I was upped to 150mg once a day, seemed fine for a couple weeks, but upped again to 187.5mg once a day since I was still having panic attacks. Generally I feel like it is working - I know that there are some people on much higher dosages, and it is just a matter of finding your right dosage.

June 23, 2012 10:39 PM

Review by Heartshapedcherry:

I began taking this medicine about 10 years ago. For changes in my condition, dosage has ranged for 37.5- to max 375mg daily. This medication has been extremely successful in controlling symptoms enough to seek all sorts of recommended therapy. I have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks compounded by agoraphobia. Post traumatic stress disroder was initial diagnosis the above mentioned came later. Side effects at 150mgs daily and above have been significant weight gain and lack of sex drive. Lower doses offered same side effects although manageable. Lowering dosage to discontinue caused manageable discomfort.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2011 6:00 AM

Review by NoExcuses:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been taking Effexor XR for several years, alternating between 37.5 mg and 75 mg when needed. I feel better, but it still does not keep me from having attacks. I have to take an Ativan when I have an attack to get it to stop. I have been dealing with this for about 12 years and Effexor XR is the most effective out of Celexa and Zoloft.

November 4, 2010 1:14 PM

Review by mommymilk:

This drug has been a God-send for me! I have had depression since the birth of my second child, 7 years ago. I was on Zoloft for years which worked well. However, after a series of troubling situations, I developed anxiety and panic. The panic attacks were so bad that I kept ending up in the hospital thinking I was having heart attacks, even though my heart is completely healthy. I went to an amazing doctor who worked with me to find the right medication, and since starting Venlafaxine, I have been panic free!!! For those who suffer from panic attacks, you know what an amazing feeling this is. I didn't know I could have my life back, but I do! I feel more like myself now than I have in years!

March 25, 2010 10:38 AM

Review by molls62:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I had suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since adolescence (with random social anxiety). In college, it got so bad I was having a hard time functioning. I've been on Effexor XR for 9 years now and its been 9 yrs with NO anxiety or 1 single panic attack with no lasting side effects. It is a miracle! At the beginning I was over-medicated with 225mg (no sense of time, heart raced, weird brain "flashes", very hyper), but I am stable on a lower dosage of 75 mg with no side-effects. I've even been pregnant/breastfed on 75 mg and have a healthy child. Effexor XR saved my life. It truly is a miracle drug! Before it, I suffered so much, I couldn't imagine life could be this good!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 27, 2010 12:43 AM

Review by SS122:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): This medicine is good for depression but did nothing for me in terms of anxiety or panic.

December 18, 2009 9:51 PM

Review by heart attack special:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Effexor was given to me a few years ago for depression. The first time I took it I felt extremely anxious and panicky. I ended up going to the ER. The doctor had to give me Ativan and Clonidine. My blood pressure shot up higher than it's ever been.

December 2, 2009 11:12 PM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I'm 19 years old and have been on Effexor for about 2 years now. The day before my High School graduation I went on it after having a huge panic attack and finally being diagnosed with anxiety (surprisingly I never knew I had it). This has given me my life back. I can't remember when my last panic attack was. I'd recommend it.

May 13, 2009 5:29 PM

Review by GKBJ:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I found Effexor to be a good medication for my symptoms which were anxiety, panic, slight depression. I forced myself to get off of this medication because all it really does is mask the problem. It took me two tries to get off it. I had been taking 75mg for 5 years, eventually moving up to 150mg.

August 5, 2008 9:06 AM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I had crippling anxiety. I couldn't even make it to the grocrey store some days.... I have been on Paxil and Lexapro prior to taking Effexor. Effexor has changed my life and made me feel like my self again. Ihave been taking it for about 7months now and I have had no side effects except that I have had a few vivid dreams. These are happy dreams but I can remember EVERY detail when I normally do not remember dreaming at all.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2008 4:00 PM