User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Review Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Hot Flashes

"Absolutely effective. Had been having hot flashes for about 6 months and they were increasing not only in intensity but also in frequency. The final straw came when I was out with my daughter, 19, and she said 'your face is all sweaty.' Since I have started taking Venlafaxine, I can say the hot flashes have almost completely disappeared. I feel so much better. I do have a problem sleeping and am not sure if that is related to the medicine."

britinUS January 18, 2015

"in 2005 at age 61, I had breast cancer. 32 radiation treatments later and it was decided NOT to prescribe a post-cancer med because of continuing menopausal hot spells oncologist prescribed Venlafaxine 75mg two times a day. as an RN I kept a hair dryer in my locker for when my hair would become drippy wet during hot spells. it is now 2014 and I do not experience the hot spells any longer! My moods are totally better and more positive...I know it sounds weird, but if I miss a dose, my mood plummets. Once, while on a trip, I had a terrible reaction when I ran out of my prescription and went without Venlafaxine for 3 days! The doctor knew immediately I was in withdrawals. Yucky spaced-out symptoms."

kma43 December 22, 2014

"I have taken these for three days and my hot flashes stopped within 48 hrs fantastic"

Kazzawan62 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2014

"I have been on Effexor 37.5 mg for three months for Hot Flashes. After my first bedtime dose, I was feeling lightheaded and a little jittery the next morning but those symptoms went away after three days. Before Effexor I would wake up several times a night due to the Hot Flashes. I am a totally different person and a pleasure to be around. I am dating again after a two year hiatus and the medication has not affected my sex drive."

TeTee (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2014

"After suffering from extreme hot flashes, night sweats and overwhelming anxiety, that I really thought was just me and my lot in life, my cousin told me about her Dr. giving her Effexor. I made an appointment and now take 75mg. I am a different person!! Sometimes have to look in the mirror to be sure it is me. It took me years to discover I can feel good!"

tuttifruiti (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I went to my obgyn after experiencing a very emotional year with family and work then started hot flashes!! Thankfully, my obgyn was wonderful and didn't think I was crazy! She prescribed 75 mg Effexor -generic venlafaxine -much cheaper too. I saw improvement in hot flashes and mood within 2 days. I am on week 2 and feel more like my old self, minor hot flash symptoms, lost 4 pounds and I don't feel the need to eat everything in sight! First week I did experience sleepiness and yawning but that has gone away and I am alert and feeling good!"

Mommy horse July 27, 2014

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've had intense hot flashes for 12 years. In addition to HRT (which worked fabulously during the 5 years I was on it), I tried Zoloft, Prozac, Remifemin, and Estroven with varying degrees of unspectacular success. So didn't expect much from Effexor, but within days of starting daily 37.5 dose, my hot flashes all but disappeared. Really, it's amazing. I've only been on it two weeks, so here's hoping it'll be effective for the long haul, which at this point, after 12 years, is looking like it will be the rest of my life. Geez, thanks, mom..."

Flapjack June 20, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had a total Hysterectomy last year and I'd not felt like my self since February 2013, but my Dr suggest that I try Venlafaxine and all I have to say is, this Drug has saved my LIFE! I was having severe hotflashes and mood swings, I was at a point where I didn't know how I was going to continue living like this! I felt like I was losing my mind and no one could help me. Venlafaxine has stopped all my Menopausal symptoms! This Drug has saved my Marriage, my sanity, my Life! I thought I was all alone until my Dr said, I was not alone and she put me on a 2week trial of Venlafaxine 37.5mgs and as I said before, I finally feel like myself again! :-)"

KEKENONO January 21, 2014

148 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have just started taking Venlafaxine ER 37.5mg once daily. Only one tab taken for severe hot flashes and my chest is tight, out of breathe, dizzy. According to the side effects these are considered possible allergic reaction. Calling my doctor before taking again."

princesslizzy (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2013

"I had terrible hot flashes so my doctor prescribed Venlafaxine 37.5mg. They worked great for about a year and a half until about one month ago. I'm again having hot flashes so I don't know if increasing the amount will help but I need a solution. I think there has been some change in my hormone levels which is causing the problem."

toronto girl May 30, 2013

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Efexor has been instrumental in controlling my hot flashes and my mood. The only drawback I find is when I have a lapse; besides the hot flashes getting worse; is brain-zaps, they are annoying but I learned that they are not dangerous. Also the generic is not as effective for me as the brand name. I highly recommend it."

bakwmn (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been taking Effexor for about 9 months. My doctor prescribed it to me for hot flashes. I don't have any problems with depression or anxiety. My husband and I have been married for 37 years, and have never had any sexual problems until I started taking Effexor don't have any desire any more. After 37 years I do know that is an important part of marriage. I'm coming off the Effexor and so far the side effects are nausea and dizziness."

Anonymous February 28, 2013

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor 37.5 for 2 weeks now. It immediately stopped ALL hot flashes for 2 days. Since then I have occasional, very mild hot flashes. My doctor told me to check in with her after 3 weeks. I may ask about increasing the dosage to 75. I was a little drowsy at first, then realized I was also taking an allergy medicine with a side effect of drowsiness so I stopped the allergy medicine. I agree with others my mood is better, also, my hair has more body and not so limp anymore. It must be a result of not sweating so frequently and severely from the hot flashes. I haven't noticed any other side effects. I wish I would experience a loss of appetite, that would be nice."

foxy trotter February 13, 2013

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was put on Effexor 37.5 for hot flashes. I had uterine cancer and went into very fast menopause. After trying to live with the hot flashes for about 6 months, I asked for help. Effexor has been wonderful. I am now able to sleep through the night. I really only have a hot flash when I forget to take my medicine."

DennyY (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2012

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on Efferor XR for years to treat depression. I was on Premarin for a couple years following a hysterectomy but due to my family history and the stroke risks related to taking Premarin, I discontinued that medicine - only to experience hot flashes. They weren't half as bad as I expected until I had a few days lapse in taking my Effexor! The frequency and intensity of my hot flashes increased extensively. I was having the flashes anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes apart and they were ten times worse! I had little sleep and even less patience! Some may call it a coincidence, but I'm certainly going to pick up my Effexor on time from this day forward!"

Anonymous July 31, 2012

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I had hot flashes every 2 hours. My face would turn beet red my glasses would fog up and always at an inappropriate time. Took my first dose of Effexor 37.5mg, my hot flashes are basically non- existent. Mood is also awesome now."

MsSonia831 April 1, 2012

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "After having my ovaries removed, the hot flashes were so bad - one every hour or so - that I could not get a decent nights sleep.The doctor had said if the flashes got bad that I could try this antidepressant. I did not need that or so I thought. After a month I said okay I'll try it. I have been on the lowest dose for about 8 years now. Am I done with the hot flashes - I don't know and don't want to find out. And the side benefit for me is that is also took the edge off of stress and worrying. I recommend every woman who can't take hormones and has hot flashes to try this. I have had no side effects but I did have loss of appetite. Just make sure your doctor checks your liver functions yearly."

New York City March 27, 2012

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor XR works great for hot flashes, not to mention it elevates your mood as a bonus. I do recommend the extended release as the side effects are fewer. I have no hot flashes now at all. I recommend it to anyone who does not want to take hormones."

angmc February 4, 2012

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am on Venlafaxine 75mg ER @ 3 times a day. Before taking venlafaxine my hot flashes were so bad that I would be soaked. I still have hot flashes but only every half hour now instead of constant. Ran out of pills on the weekend and it was one of the worst weekends ever! My moods were up and down, sweating and flushing from head to toe. Never run out! "

Redkat December 21, 2011

"I had run out of Venlafaxine 75mg ER, For 2 days and my side effects were horrible. I felt like I was walking on my nerves, every move was like zap. My emotions were crazy and my hot flashes horrendous. I just wonder what its doing to my insides if I have that bad of side effects."

Redkat December 21, 2011

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I had horrible hot flashes getting one every 45 minutes to an hour on average. Since I've been on Effexor XR 37.5 my hot flashes have decreased to on average one a day and it's much less severe. I been taking it for over a year. Only draw back for me is a reduced sex drive."

Anonymous November 22, 2011

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was having extreme hot flashes and started taking Effexor 75 mg and it almost immediately stopped 95% of them. I am up to 150 mg per day now and the only issue I have with the medication is the horrible withdrawal symptoms. I was without insurance for a month and within 2 days of not taking it I was at the hospital with what I thought was the flu. My Doctor had warned me not to stop cold turkey but I had no idea it would be that severe. But if you take as directed and discontinue with your Doctor's help there should be no problem. The pros definitely outweigh the cons."

indygirl56 October 24, 2011

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have suffered with hot flashes since my late teens and began menopause at 50. I tried Effexor XR just to see if it would help and was so surprised with the RELIEF that I got from it. It helped so much. It didn't stop them. I don't think anything can, but it sure did cut the number of hot flashes by at least half. When I do have one, it's a butt-kicker, but by cutting the number in half, my quality of life has been improved so much. Between the Effexor XR and Topamax putting a complete halt to my migraines, life is really good again!"

marrianne215 September 4, 2011

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Have been on Effexor for 3 years to combat depression and severe hot flashes that are the result of treatment for breast cancer. It definitely does the job, and I plan to stay on it at least until I am done with my 5 years of oral chemo, and then will evaluate staying on it longer. Only drawback is that it will be difficult to get off of it. Will have to work closely with doctor to slowly wean, otherwise there are significant withdrawal symptoms."

BC Warrior December 28, 2010

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on venlafaxine for only a week for hot flashes but it's making me feel sleepy during the day and right out during the night. I'm on the lowest dose. I also am constipated and have a dry mouth from time to time. "

Anonymous August 16, 2010