User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Hot Flashes

Review by tuttifruiti (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After suffering from extreme hot flashes, night sweats and overwhelming anxiety, that I really thought was just me and my lot in life, my cousin told me about her Dr. giving her Effexor. I made an appointment and now take 75mg. I am a different person!! Sometimes have to look in the mirror to be sure it is me. It took me years to discover I can feel good!

July 28, 2014 11:50 PM

Review by Mommy horse:

I went to my obgyn after experiencing a very emotional year with family and work then started hot flashes!! Thankfully, my obgyn was wonderful and didn't think I was crazy! She prescribed 75 mg Effexor -generic venlafaxine -much cheaper too. I saw improvement in hot flashes and mood within 2 days. I am on week 2 and feel more like my old self, minor hot flash symptoms, lost 4 pounds and I don't feel the need to eat everything in sight! First week I did experience sleepiness and yawning but that has gone away and I am alert and feeling good!

July 27, 2014 10:40 AM

Review by Flapjack:

I've had intense hot flashes for 12 years. In addition to HRT (which worked fabulously during the 5 years I was on it), I tried Zoloft, Prozac, Remifemin, and Estroven with varying degrees of unspectacular success. So didn't expect much from Effexor, but within days of starting daily 37.5 dose, my hot flashes all but disappeared. Really, it's amazing. I've only been on it two weeks, so here's hoping it'll be effective for the long haul, which at this point, after 12 years, is looking like it will be the rest of my life. Geez, thanks, mom...

June 20, 2014 2:39 AM

Review by KEKENONO:

I had a total Hysterectomy last year and I'd not felt like my self since February 2013, but my Dr suggest that I try Venlafaxine and all I have to say is, this Drug has saved my LIFE! I was having severe hotflashes and mood swings, I was at a point where I didn't know how I was going to continue living like this! I felt like I was losing my mind and no one could help me. Venlafaxine has stopped all my Menopausal symptoms! This Drug has saved my Marriage, my sanity, my Life! I thought I was all alone until my Dr said, I was not alone and she put me on a 2week trial of Venlafaxine 37.5mgs and as I said before, I finally feel like myself again! :-)

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2014 8:26 PM

Review by princesslizzy (taken for less than 1 month):

I have just started taking Venlafaxine ER 37.5mg once daily. Only one tab taken for severe hot flashes and my chest is tight, out of breathe, dizzy. According to the side effects these are considered possible allergic reaction. Calling my doctor before taking again.

July 18, 2013 4:42 PM

Review by toronto girl:

I had terrible hot flashes so my doctor prescribed Venlafaxine 37.5mg. They worked great for about a year and a half until about one month ago. I'm again having hot flashes so I don't know if increasing the amount will help but I need a solution. I think there has been some change in my hormone levels which is causing the problem.

May 30, 2013 7:19 PM

Review by bakwmn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Efexor has been instrumental in controlling my hot flashes and my mood. The only drawback I find is when I have a lapse; besides the hot flashes getting worse; is brain-zaps, they are annoying but I learned that they are not dangerous. Also the generic is not as effective for me as the brand name. I highly recommend it.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2013 4:21 PM

I've been taking Effexor for about 9 months. My doctor prescribed it to me for hot flashes. I don't have any problems with depression or anxiety. My husband and I have been married for 37 years, and have never had any sexual problems until I started taking Effexor don't have any desire any more. After 37 years I do know that is an important part of marriage. I'm coming off the Effexor and so far the side effects are nausea and dizziness.

February 28, 2013 12:16 PM

Review by foxy trotter:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been on Effexor 37.5 for 2 weeks now. It immediately stopped ALL hot flashes for 2 days. Since then I have occasional, very mild hot flashes. My doctor told me to check in with her after 3 weeks. I may ask about increasing the dosage to 75. I was a little drowsy at first, then realized I was also taking an allergy medicine with a side effect of drowsiness so I stopped the allergy medicine. I agree with others my mood is better, also, my hair has more body and not so limp anymore. It must be a result of not sweating so frequently and severely from the hot flashes. I haven't noticed any other side effects. I wish I would experience a loss of appetite, that would be nice.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2013 5:16 PM

Review by DennyY (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I was put on Effexor 37.5 for hot flashes. I had uterine cancer and went into very fast menopause. After trying to live with the hot flashes for about 6 months, I asked for help. Effexor has been wonderful. I am now able to sleep through the night. I really only have a hot flash when I forget to take my medicine.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 30, 2012 3:01 PM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been on Efferor XR for years to treat depression. I was on Premarin for a couple years following a hysterectomy but due to my family history and the stroke risks related to taking Premarin, I discontinued that medicine - only to experience hot flashes. They weren't half as bad as I expected until I had a few days lapse in taking my Effexor! The frequency and intensity of my hot flashes increased extensively. I was having the flashes anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes apart and they were ten times worse! I had little sleep and even less patience! Some may call it a coincidence, but I'm certainly going to pick up my Effexor on time from this day forward!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2012 9:09 AM

Review by MsSonia831:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I had hot flashes every 2 hours. My face would turn beet red my glasses would fog up and always at an inappropriate time. Took my first dose of Effexor 37.5mg, my hot flashes are basically non- existent. Mood is also awesome now.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2012 2:31 AM

Review by New York City:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): After having my ovaries removed, the hot flashes were so bad - one every hour or so - that I could not get a decent nights sleep.The doctor had said if the flashes got bad that I could try this antidepressant. I did not need that or so I thought. After a month I said okay I'll try it. I have been on the lowest dose for about 8 years now. Am I done with the hot flashes - I don't know and don't want to find out. And the side benefit for me is that is also took the edge off of stress and worrying. I recommend every woman who can't take hormones and has hot flashes to try this. I have had no side effects but I did have loss of appetite. Just make sure your doctor checks your liver functions yearly.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2012 11:54 AM

Review by angmc:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Effexor XR works great for hot flashes, not to mention it elevates your mood as a bonus. I do recommend the extended release as the side effects are fewer. I have no hot flashes now at all. I recommend it to anyone who does not want to take hormones.

February 4, 2012 2:42 PM

Review by Redkat:

I am on Venlafaxine 75mg ER @ 3 times a day. Before taking venlafaxine my hot flashes were so bad that I would be soaked. I still have hot flashes but only every half hour now instead of constant. Ran out of pills on the weekend and it was one of the worst weekends ever! My moods were up and down, sweating and flushing from head to toe. Never run out!

December 21, 2011 11:45 PM

Review by Redkat:

I had run out of Venlafaxine 75mg ER, For 2 days and my side effects were horrible. I felt like I was walking on my nerves, every move was like zap. My emotions were crazy and my hot flashes horrendous. I just wonder what its doing to my insides if I have that bad of side effects.

December 21, 2011 11:31 PM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I had horrible hot flashes getting one every 45 minutes to an hour on average. Since I've been on Effexor XR 37.5 my hot flashes have decreased to on average one a day and it's much less severe. I been taking it for over a year. Only draw back for me is a reduced sex drive.

November 22, 2011 10:44 AM

Review by indygirl56:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I was having extreme hot flashes and started taking Effexor 75 mg and it almost immediately stopped 95% of them. I am up to 150 mg per day now and the only issue I have with the medication is the horrible withdrawal symptoms. I was without insurance for a month and within 2 days of not taking it I was at the hospital with what I thought was the flu. My Doctor had warned me not to stop cold turkey but I had no idea it would be that severe. But if you take as directed and discontinue with your Doctor's help there should be no problem. The pros definitely outweigh the cons.

October 24, 2011 9:00 PM

Review by marrianne215:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have suffered with hot flashes since my late teens and began menopause at 50. I tried Effexor XR just to see if it would help and was so surprised with the RELIEF that I got from it. It helped so much. It didn't stop them. I don't think anything can, but it sure did cut the number of hot flashes by at least half. When I do have one, it's a butt-kicker, but by cutting the number in half, my quality of life has been improved so much. Between the Effexor XR and Topamax putting a complete halt to my migraines, life is really good again!

September 4, 2011 7:22 PM

Review by BC Warrior:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Have been on Effexor for 3 years to combat depression and severe hot flashes that are the result of treatment for breast cancer. It definitely does the job, and I plan to stay on it at least until I am done with my 5 years of oral chemo, and then will evaluate staying on it longer. Only drawback is that it will be difficult to get off of it. Will have to work closely with doctor to slowly wean, otherwise there are significant withdrawal symptoms.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2010 5:40 PM

I've been on venlafaxine for only a week for hot flashes but it's making me feel sleepy during the day and right out during the night. I'm on the lowest dose. I also am constipated and have a dry mouth from time to time.

August 16, 2010 12:50 PM

Review by suzqok:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I was prescribed Effexor for fibromyalgia. Not only did it not help the fibromyalgia, but it restarted the menopausal hot flashes that had been under control. In doing research for fibromyalgia, I discovered that it can cause hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms to be more intense in women with fibromyalgia.

March 11, 2010 12:28 PM

Review by Thankful4EffexorXR:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): My ob/gyn recently recommended Effexor to treat my menopausal symptoms (hot flashes, anxiety, mood swings) after having my ovary removed. I was skeptical because I have been treated with anti-depressants in the past and the side effects were horrendous. I also suffer from GAD and SADD, but because I am such a wimp about taking pills, I have tried to tough it out. I was willing to try anything to help me get better. It has only been a week at the 37.5 dose, and I already notice a difference. Hot flashes are gone, I don't fly off the handle at everything and everyone, I am laughing, I can concentrate, I worry less, and am generally more calm. Side effects are minimal. A little spacy at times! Loss of appetite (which is good for an overweight woman). LOVE THIS MEDICINE!

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2010 8:53 PM

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Effexor XR has been very helpful. The only side effects I've noticed is a occasional, slight feeling of dizziness and increased sweating. The benefits greatly outweigh the side effects.

August 13, 2009 2:18 PM

Review by thedeb41:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been taking Effexor XR for approximately 6 months now. My hot flashes were very severe. I would be soaked and wet from top of my head down to my legs. Cold glass of water hardly touched it. After taking Effexor I only have little sweating around my head and neck maybe two to five times a month. It is a great relief.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2009 4:09 PM