User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Hot Flashes

"The generic medication does not help my hot flashes. I'm taking 37.5mg twice daily. The brand worked so much better, but the price went up dramatically. I really don't want to up the dosage, but these hot flashes are happening too often now. So, it's higher dose or live through the hot flashes. Hot flashes will not win."

PugMug May 11, 2016

"DON'T TAKE THIS. I took it for hot flashes and now, at 70, I am trying to withdraw as it also has high blood pressure as a side effect. HORRIBLE withdrawal problems!!! DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG."

GrandmaSusan2 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2016

"I have been taking Effexor for hot flashes for 4 years now. While it did relieve the flashes I must tell you about a devastating experience I had this week. The Effexor caused me to have a false positive reading for PCP on a pre employment drug screen. I will NEVER take this medication again and am on a mission to let everyone know about this problem."

gingersnap44 March 11, 2016

"Hi, I'm 28 and had a hysterectomy in August of 2015. I was put on Effexor 75mg in September and my hot flashes went away after taking the first dose.. I have gone some days and missed a dose here and there and have felt the withdraw side effects from doing so. Nausea, headaches, flu like symptoms... Recently I have been getting hot flashes more frequently so I'm thinking of upping my does age to 150mg. Any advice????"

Kayla13 February 18, 2016

"I started taking Venlafaxine HCL ER 75mg and it has been working very well. I also found out that my mood has changed for the better. I have been taking it for a year now. I haven't had any sleep problem from Venlafaxine and I also have diabetes and hypertension. I have experienced running out of medicine and I can say that it wasn't that serious of a problem for me. I refilled my prescription within five days. What I would like to know it the best time to take my pill. I have been taking it in the morning with my other medicine and food."

JAB1961 February 15, 2016

"My doctor prescribed venlafaxine for my hot flashes. When I talked to her about going on hormone therapy she suggested that venlafaxine may be a good option and not understanding much about anti-depressants it sounded like a good idea.. wow was i wrong! I took this medication for a total of approx. 2 months. At first 37 mg worked great but then my body adjusted within a few days and the hot flashes returned I ended up increasing to a total of 3 37mg per day tablets but continued to have hot flashes and my sex drive became non-existent. I finally realized what I was doing to my body when I ran out for almost 5 days and the withdrawal symptoms made me feel like a zombie (seriously). This stuff is a very strong drug and very addictive."

chroke February 12, 2016

"The first day I took this medication my hot flashes reduced significantly!! I am truly grateful!!"

Tracy S. (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

"I was suffering from hot flashes, night sweats, and irritability - symptoms of menopause. The hot flashes were happening several times a day and were becoming unbearable. My doctor recommended Venlafaxine since I had a strong history of breast cancer in my family. The hot flashes disappeared the day I began taking the medication! My only side effects were a lot of yawning (which lasted about a year). About 6 months after beginning the medication, the hot flashes began to return (although not as often as before). My doctor increased the dose and I have been fine for over a year now. This medication really works for me! My husband loves it too because he says I'm back to my "old self" again - not irritable!"

Relieved! (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2016

"It's literally saved my sanity!!! Haven't had a hot flush since I commenced Efexor, and I was getting at least 12 to 16 daily."

KitKat65 February 5, 2016

"I had a friend tell me about Venlafaxine and how it helped her hot flashes. I'm so happy I took her advice! Not only did it eliminate my hot flashes it improved my mood and took away the irritability I had. My husband calls it my happy pill. It's so nice to not have the hot flashes and feeling so irritable. This was a much better choice for then taking hormones! I've had to increase the dosage over the last year to 150 mg."

Relaxed! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2016

"I started suffering very badly from hot flashes about 2 years ago. When I would work out and do cardio, I would literally leave puddles. It was scary because I didn't know what was going on at the time. Someone I met recommended I try it. I was suffering so bad, I didn't want to be on antidepressants, but I was desperate. I didn't have to wait long, I went from having about six hot flashes a day, lasting about two to three minutes, to having three or four mini flashes. I was incredibly grateful, was able to sleep through the night as well. Just recently, they started to become unbearable again, so they increased the dosage. Really does work. Currently on 150 milligrams. I may have one or two flashes during the day and and maybe two at night"

Pimfa (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2015

"I started taking Effexor for post menopausal symptoms. My symptoms were mostly irritability. Within a week I noticed a dramatic change. My dosage was started at 35mg once a day but was increased to 75mg once a day. I have not had any of the side affects associated with this medicine."

Shorty K October 14, 2015

"This worked great for my hot flashes when nothing but HRT worked. My Dr. said I had to get off the HRT so I tried this and it is great. The first couple of weeks I felt a little jittery but my body has adjusted and I don't have that problem anymore."

The flasher September 1, 2015

"I started taking Effexor to counteract the hot flashes caused by Tamoxifen. This was truly a miracle cure for the hot flashes. Literally, I took the first dose of Effexor and the hot flashes were completely gone within an hour. I continued taking the medication for 4 days with not a single hot flash. It was amazing! BUT I had to stop taking it because I slept about 10 hours in 4 days. I constantly felt nervous, anxious and unable to relax. Sleeping was almost impossible. Sadly I chose the hot flashes over insomnia. Very disappointed "

Julie1024 August 19, 2015

"Taking Effexor made absolutely no difference in the frequency of my hot flashes. However, it did seem to make the hot flashes slightly less intense. My physician increased my dosage to see if it would make any difference. The increased dose did not make any difference. Withdrawing from Effexor is not pleasant. I started weaning off the medication almost 2 months ago and have not taken any of the medication for a week and am experiencing extreme fatigue and dizziness. I've been reading withdrawal experiences online and have learned that this could go on for several weeks. I wish I had never tried the medication."

Sister Belle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2015

"I had a hysterectomy over 25 years ago and was on HRs since then. However, I am on medicare and they don't easily cover HR prescriptions for women over 65. I quit taking them last summer and since have suffered with hot flashes, night sweats...waking up every 2 hours drenched with sweat. I went back to my doctor to ask about getting back on HRs and she suggested that I try Effexor 37.5mg for a month to see if it would help. Well, the first couple of weeks my hot flashes disappeared. But as my body adjusted to the medication, the hot flashes started coming back. I now have 2 or 3 during the day and sometimes 1 at night but I find that is tolerable. My doctor said she could up the dosage if I wanted but I said no, I was fine with it."

annoysmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2015

"I had a hysterectomy over a year ago, and immediately started with hot flashes. The flashes were so bad I was experiencing 5-6 severe hot flashes an hour, immediately after starting venlafaxine 37.5 for 1 week/then 75mg after, they decreased in severity and I may have 4-5 a day, and for the first time in over a year I am able to sleep most nights all the way through. By taking venlafaxine, I was able to discontinue 2 medications (6 pills)."

Bunky5136 June 1, 2015

"Absolutely effective. Had been having hot flashes for about 6 months and they were increasing not only in intensity but also in frequency. The final straw came when I was out with my daughter, 19, and she said 'your face is all sweaty.' Since I have started taking Venlafaxine, I can say the hot flashes have almost completely disappeared. I feel so much better. I do have a problem sleeping and am not sure if that is related to the medicine."

britinUS January 18, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"in 2005 at age 61, I had breast cancer. 32 radiation treatments later and it was decided NOT to prescribe a post-cancer med because of continuing menopausal hot spells oncologist prescribed Venlafaxine 75mg two times a day. as an RN I kept a hair dryer in my locker for when my hair would become drippy wet during hot spells. it is now 2014 and I do not experience the hot spells any longer! My moods are totally better and more positive...I know it sounds weird, but if I miss a dose, my mood plummets. Once, while on a trip, I had a terrible reaction when I ran out of my prescription and went without Venlafaxine for 3 days! The doctor knew immediately I was in withdrawals. Yucky spaced-out symptoms."

kma43 December 22, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have taken these for three days and my hot flashes stopped within 48 hrs fantastic"

Kazzawan62 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2014

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Effexor 37.5 mg for three months for Hot Flashes. After my first bedtime dose, I was feeling lightheaded and a little jittery the next morning but those symptoms went away after three days. Before Effexor I would wake up several times a night due to the Hot Flashes. I am a totally different person and a pleasure to be around. I am dating again after a two year hiatus and the medication has not affected my sex drive."

TeTee (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2014

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After suffering from extreme hot flashes, night sweats and overwhelming anxiety, that I really thought was just me and my lot in life, my cousin told me about her Dr. giving her Effexor. I made an appointment and now take 75mg. I am a different person!! Sometimes have to look in the mirror to be sure it is me. It took me years to discover I can feel good!"

tuttifruiti (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2014

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I went to my obgyn after experiencing a very emotional year with family and work then started hot flashes!! Thankfully, my obgyn was wonderful and didn't think I was crazy! She prescribed 75 mg Effexor -generic venlafaxine -much cheaper too. I saw improvement in hot flashes and mood within 2 days. I am on week 2 and feel more like my old self, minor hot flash symptoms, lost 4 pounds and I don't feel the need to eat everything in sight! First week I did experience sleepiness and yawning but that has gone away and I am alert and feeling good!"

Mommy horse July 27, 2014

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've had intense hot flashes for 12 years. In addition to HRT (which worked fabulously during the 5 years I was on it), I tried Zoloft, Prozac, Remifemin, and Estroven with varying degrees of unspectacular success. So didn't expect much from Effexor, but within days of starting daily 37.5 dose, my hot flashes all but disappeared. Really, it's amazing. I've only been on it two weeks, so here's hoping it'll be effective for the long haul, which at this point, after 12 years, is looking like it will be the rest of my life. Geez, thanks, mom..."

Flapjack June 20, 2014

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had a total Hysterectomy last year and I'd not felt like my self since February 2013, but my Dr suggest that I try Venlafaxine and all I have to say is, this Drug has saved my LIFE! I was having severe hotflashes and mood swings, I was at a point where I didn't know how I was going to continue living like this! I felt like I was losing my mind and no one could help me. Venlafaxine has stopped all my Menopausal symptoms! This Drug has saved my Marriage, my sanity, my Life! I thought I was all alone until my Dr said, I was not alone and she put me on a 2week trial of Venlafaxine 37.5mgs and as I said before, I finally feel like myself again! :-)"

KEKENONO January 21, 2014

181 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate