User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Review by SSKirby (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been on Effexor XR 75mg for two months now, after previously being on Zoloft and Celexa. The two other medications were not effective for my anxiety and depression, and they tended to make me either tired or foggy regardless of the time of day that I took them. I expected the tiredness to wear off, but the foggy feeling never did. My doctor prescribed Effexor XR, and it has been very effective for both my depression and anxiety symptoms. I am not 100% perfect, and I still have anxiety, but in the appropriate moments. The moments of unreasonable anxiety attacks are fewer and far between since starting the medicine. I had no negative side effects, and I take it every morning at 9am.

March 13, 2014 11:12 AM
Review by Happy in Canada (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been on Effexor for the past 10 years - I started having panic attacks as a child although I didn't know at the time what was going on - when I was 17 the doctor prescribed Valium that I took periodically when my anxiety got really bad - finally when I was 40 the doctor suggested I go on a very low dosage of Effexor (37.5mg) because he was sure I had generalized anxiety disorder - what a difference this has made in my life - felt"weird" the first few weeks but now I have very little anxiety and really no side effects except maybe lower libido. I had no idea how much anxiety I had been living with all my life.

March 10, 2014 10:15 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

venlafaxine: I suffered with severe anxiety, especially in social situations. I think mine was linked to coming off my pill and my hormones going crazy. I tried sertraline for two days and felt horrid - flu like symptoms, depression, nausea, fatigue! I then tried venlafaxine and after two weeks my anxiety had gone. It came back around the time of the month but this medicine has truly fixed me. I understand that different medicines work for different people but this saved my life.

December 23, 2013 1:53 PM
Review by Chaz303: User Rating:

venlafaxine: Only 3 days of nausea at first. Dosage is 37.5mg. A lot calmer. But will increase dosage about a month later. Having vivid dreams at night. Having skin irritation but not sure if its caused by something else. Not confirmed. Had a severe diarrhea reaction to Flucozanole (anti-fungal pill), so I think there is an interaction between the two.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 23, 2013 2:48 PM
Review by ml_inFLA (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

venlafaxine: I took this for one day. Had panic attacks, and even worse, inability to urinate until it cleared my system. Also I have memory gaps from the day I was on it. I'd rather be anxious.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 22, 2013 4:23 PM
Review by Anxietylady: User Rating:

venlafaxine: I've been on this medication for one week so far, and I already notice a difference in myself. It is certainly helping me- I suffered from severe anxiety/ anxiety attacks over the past several months, and I haven't had a single attack since being on this medication. The anxiety has also lessened. I'll up my dose soon, so it should continue to kick in and help.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 20, 2013 4:10 PM
Review by Jaded123 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Had horrible side effects, did not sleep for 2 weeks. Developed tics. Felt like I was living a nightmare. Had to be hospitalized. They took me off Effexor. And I started Zoloft. Zoloft worked fantastic . Took Zoloft for a year. Been off meds for 9 years with no problems.

October 23, 2013 3:48 AM
Review by Dingdingding: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been on this medication for approximately 3 weeks now. It is a God send for me. I noticed results on day 2. I have had recurring depressive episodes my entire adult life. This episode I was unable to get out of bed, sleeping up to 14 hours a day, not going into work (thankfully I have a very understanding boss). I was not suicidal this time, I actually think that I really didn't care enough to do anything about it. My whole attitude was that, "I just don't care." I have anxiety as well, but the episodes have always been well controlled with 1mg of Ativan. I had the racing thoughts, inability to concentrate, unable to finish almost any task-if I even got as far to start one. 175mg of Effexor and I can finally function.

September 12, 2013 1:58 PM
Review by BB11: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I was diagnosed with Celiac's disease 3 years ago although I probably had it for about 7 years. My body didn't absorb many nutrients so I had anxiety about everything. I am on high doses of B12 and Vit. D and the doctor thought I should try Effexor. I first started on a small dose and then she tried me on 75 mg which is still a small dose. This really works for me. I'm not jittery or have negative thoughts. I've only been on this for 6 months but everything seems okay.

September 5, 2013 2:01 PM
Review by Relaxed and at Peace (taken for 5 to 10 years):

venlafaxine: I started on Effexor 37.5 and graduated to 75 mg. I was on it for about 7 years and it really worked for me. No more panic attacks and insomnia. It was also prescribed for hormone replacement. About 4 months ago I decided that I wanted to be free from medication and my doctor weaned me off of it. I did we'll for a while but the panic attacks returned about 2 weeks ago along with a preoccupation with death . I started Effexor 75 mg yesterday and can already tell a difference. It works for me and I'm staying on it this time.

August 24, 2013 2:24 PM
Review by Devon1177 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I am from Canada, 24 year old female. I have always been a worrier but first experienced anxiety in my 4th year at University 3 years ago, I had a panic attack which then turned into panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Effexor is a GREAT medication for me, my dose was raised way to quickly at the beginning, I went from 75mg to 150mg to 225mg in a month and a half and got horrible Effexor induced anxiety but when my GP realized what was going on she put me back to 75mg and then very slowly put me up to 112.5mg and I have been there for 2 months now and I think it is the perfect dose for me. I don't have intrusive thoughts or panic sensations. Be patient, it's worth it!

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 24, 2013 1:21 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Works well to stop my anxiety. I can participate in life again and I am doing things that I used to do. Started with 75 mg started to become more effective at 150 mg. Some side effects but they are getting better with time.

May 15, 2013 12:30 PM
Review by vgailj (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): This medicine did not work for me.

April 19, 2013 1:02 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): This medication has worked well for me in terms of controlling my anxiety and fear of having a panic attack. However the side effects I have had to endure are not so pleasant. I'm always tired and can sleep all day long. As well, I have gained weight on this medication and trying to lose it is very hard. It's like my metabolism has stopped working. I've been on this medicine for about 3 years now and considering weening off to try something else.

April 8, 2013 3:24 PM
Review by Pisces90 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Effexor Saved Me After Many Failed Medicines. Current Med Combo- Effexor 75 mg, Lamictal 200 mg, Abilify 5 mg It saved me from wasting anymore time locked up in my house 24/7 and avoiding conversations, knocks at the door, people, telephone calls, and anything else involving socializing. I FINALLY LEAVE MY HOUSE. WILLINGLY and REGULARLY. Daily. I NO LONGER FEAR APPLYING FOR JOBS. I NO LONGER FEAR THE POSSIBILITY OF HAVING A JOB because I would have to deal with people. I am willing and eager to go out with friends, family, acquaintances, meet new people. SIDE EFFECTS- Only Nightmares, which eventually become less and less and then go away after 2 months. Maybe a little unpleasant at first. Definitely bearable. It's not bad for everyone.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 19, 2013 12:57 PM
Review by sunny one: User Rating:

venlafaxine: I have been on venlafaxine, 200 mg a day and have been on it for four years. It has helped me a lot. I can go out without running back in the house because I was afraid to go out. Last week my aunt past away and I had a set back so know I take Valium as well and these medicines do help.

January 18, 2013 6:28 AM
Review by Montrose Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): My doctor prescribed this for my anxiety due to perimenopause, 37 mg. I was always tired on it so he increased it to 75mg xr. I'm not as tired as I used to be and I no longer wake with anxiety and can sleep through the night. My energy level is not as high as it used to be before Effexor. My appetite has also increased. I've heard this can be due to a combination of the Effexor and menopause. If I skip a dose, I get headaches.

January 5, 2013 5:43 AM
Review by kat351: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Effexor has been a wonderful and life changing medicine for me. I can also take it with my anticancer medicine Tamoxifen, which I could not do with Zoloft. It's great!

January 3, 2013 12:58 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

venlafaxine: Possibly the best medication I have ever been given. Miracle for my father too. I take 187.5mg and notice the difference with the last 37.5mg capsule that got added. Only downside is that missing a dose is extremely sickening for an entire day, so it is good to carry a dose or two in my purse so I can take it around the same time daily.

December 21, 2012 11:17 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been on Effexor XR for about 3 months now (75mg), and it's done a great job of controlling my anxiety. For the first couple of days, my anxiety skyrocketed, but I supplemented with Ativan to help with that. then on the third day, I woke up and felt totally normal. It does make me a bit tired, but I also sleep better - and I do have very vivid dreams at times (not scary, just vivid). Also makes me a bit apathetic, but it's better than living in a constant state of anxiety. I'd had bad reactions to Lexapro and Zoloft, so I was happy to find something that worked. I hope to come off someday, but for now, it's giving me what I need.

December 3, 2012 11:23 AM
Review by LinneaHelgeson (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

venlafaxine: I was suffering insomnia, OCD, panic attacks, and constant anxiety. I felt like I was out of control, out of my mind. After 2 weeks on velafaxine, I feel like I have my life back. I am in the drivers seat, not my anxiety. I am so, so happy to feel like I have control of who I am and who I can be.

October 5, 2012 10:17 PM
Review by alexander151: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I took Effexor XR after I gave up on Lexapro (it didn't work for me, waited for a couple months). I started at 75 mg and 10 days later to 150 mg. I have been at 150 for about 5 months. I feel that I am at a stable point so I don't want to change anything for a while. My doctor said to start weening off but I don't think I'm ready yet. I had gone through a gut wrenching episode in my life that lasted for about 4 intense months of sleepless nights, hot sweats, heart palpitations, heavy chest, lack of concentration, and sadness. I felt as if I was at a doctor every other day trying to figure out what was wrong. My anxieties were so bad that I felt like exploding. Thankfully I waited it out and Effexor has helped.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 6, 2012 1:17 AM
Review by Dispicable me (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been on this medication for over 15 years. I can tell you that this is the absolute best medication for panic attacks, the problem is that I never had any panic attacks until I quit taking the pill after a year of use. I was prescribed this when I was 18 after being hospitalized as the result of several traumatic events. I started on 32 mg and eventually was bumped up to 150mg and then 225 mg. I weened off and survived the withdrawals and felt amazing seriously felt like the best moment of my life but about a year after I stopped taking it, the depression came back twice as bad.

July 28, 2012 4:30 AM
Review by KathrynTori (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I love it. It's so much better than the other 2 I tried that made me feel like a zombie and had side effects. Effexor XR has helped me and still does help me to not have the anxiety/panic attacks that I was experiencing before. It's the best by far. I highly recommend Effexor XR for anyone with bad anxiety & panic attacks. It's absolutely the best.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 21, 2012 8:48 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I'm 45 years old and have lived a pretty normal life except for my occasional heightened anxiety. Recently, my anxiety and panic attacks had escalated out of control. I was feeling out of touch with reality and having multiple panic attacks a day. Unfortunately for me, after 2 doses the Effexor caused mild hallucinations; light pixelating and things moving in fast motion. It was adding to my anxiety so I went off immediately and the hallucinations went away.

June 21, 2012 10:27 AM