User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Have been on Effexor xr 75mg for about 1 year now for anxiety & panic attacks. I had a constant odd pain in my stomach (like butterflys and hunger). I would sweat uncontrollably & get dizzy & faint if I was put in a situation I wasn't comfortable with. I went to a Dr. who diagnosed me with anxiety and put me onto Effexor. The first 3 days were hell, every bad review I read on Google I could relate to, I even ended up going to the ER one night as I felt so nauseous and felt like I was losing control and could not stop freaking out. The Dr told me to stick to it, and promised it would get better. I'm so glad I did. I feel that this medication has saved me. I can almost live a normal life again.

September 4, 2014 3:30 AM

Review by Nadey:

I've had generalized anxiety disorder for 1 year now. Tried self medicating for 6 months. No help. Went on Lexapro and it was horrible. Waking up with worse anxiety than ever. Quit after 3 weeks. Now that I'm on venlafaxine for 3 weeks. Feeling much much better. A few side effects the first week but stick with it. They go away. Mostly felt tired and loss of apatite. This medicine is working.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2014 9:43 AM

Review by starsoul50 (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I've suffered severe anxiety/panic attacks my entire life. I've had Xanax, Valium, Prozac and Edronax over the cause of my years. I finally changed doctor, came off everything, to start where I'm at now. I began on 37.5mg over two weeks ago and noticed a difference straight away. Now on 75mg and getting better every single day. My panic attacks could cause me to pass out, so this is a huge leap in health for me. For those concerned about coming off Xanax, it's so worth the effort. I now feel like I'm getting my life back and I'm truly grateful.

August 27, 2014 12:35 AM

Review by Blondegirl311:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Started taking Venlafaxine ER a year ago for anxiety. Started at 75mg daily and am currently on 150mg per day, and have been for about 8 months. It has helped a ton with the anxiety! While I am not completely clear from anxiety, it is much much better to handle. I did not gain any weight whatsoever. I do notice that if I forget to take it I feel a bit nauseous and lightheaded so I have set an alarm on my phone. I take both 75mg pills at one time so that it's done for the day. All in all, I would recommend!!

August 13, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by Mitra_:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Have suffered from bouts of severe anxiety over the last few years that would leave me bedridden, suicidal, unable to work or eat. Tried Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Luvox and honestly thought nothing would ever work for me. All made me worse. Psych doctor wanted to try Effexor XR but I was worried about the withdrawing from it - after trying everything else I finally agreed. Has taken a month to feel a difference. I'm enjoying things again, not chewed up by horrible anxiety, I'm actually HAPPY?! 1st month on it was so challenging - very low, anxious, exhausted, nauseous. But now no side effects. I feel like a light's gone on. Like I am getting my life back. I could sob with relief. Truly believed I'd never get better, but here I am.

August 9, 2014 7:51 AM

Review by Downout (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have suffered with major depression my whole adult life. Have been on several types of antidepressants all of which left me feeling like a zombie. The first time I took Effexor I noticed a major swing in my moods it has been a total saviour for me. Two weeks ago I was in bad shape, today a week of Effexor I feel on top of the world . This medication with the help of family friends and councilor had without a doubt totally turned my life around now everything in my life is happy and positive. Without this medication my future would've been bleak to say the least.

August 8, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by adam1994:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I'm 19 and have suffered with anxiety for three years or so. Previously had been on Prozac and Lexapro which were both hellish. Began taking Effexor XR two months ago and started feeling better two weeks through but out of no where the medication not only ceased to work but actually made my anxiety a lot worse. Have horrible agitation, depression, irritability and insomnia. Pity I could really do with an antidepressant than works!

July 24, 2014 8:50 PM

Review by Maple Fritters:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Went on Effexor for panic disorder/social anxiety caused by OCD. It was debilitating and the symptoms really affected my ability to go through life. I had been on other meds, which did not do much, so I was genuinely surprised and happy when the Effexor made a noticeable difference in the frequency and severity of my panic attacks. I have a few moments of panic now and then, but nothing as bad as it was. OCD is still there, but does not cause me too much distress or interrupt my life as much as it used to (and Effexor is not meant to treat OCD anyway). The side effect that got me the most was tiredness, so I was put on Wellbutrin to balance that out, and it seems to be working for me. The other side effects are entirely bearable.

July 10, 2014 12:43 AM

Review by Rob C (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Switched to Effexor XR after having severe anxiety side effects with Prozac 20mg. With Prozac initial side effects, I didn't sleep for days, constant, ceaseless agitation and restlessness, ended up in ER for psych evaluation which has never happened to me before. Doctor switched me to Effexor XR 37.5 mg and on the second day I noticed that after taking the pill in the morning, by the afternoon I was much calmer, almost drowsy, which was an enormous relief after two weeks of severe anxiety. After two weeks on Effexor XR I'm doing much better; much less anxiety and worry. The PM drowsiness has gone too. I hope to stay on the low dose.

July 8, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by LaniP392:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): This is the only medicine that totally helps me. I seldom have to take Alprazolam or Valium with the Effexor. I tried switching to Cymbalta for nerve pain..what a mistake. I am back on Effexor.

June 27, 2014 11:10 PM

Review by Nelle Nedlog:

I started on Venlafaxine several months ago -- went from 37.4 to 75 to150mg. This was situational, as we had lost our 34-year old daughter several years ago in an extremely traumatic accident. When I was taking 150 mg., I felt less anxious and depressed but foggy-headed, and my emotions have been blunted. Over a short period of time, I experienced excruciating headaches, sleepiness, dry mouth, constipation, bizarre dreams, and felt detached from myself. Under the guidance of my APRN, I've been decreasing the dosage. The weaning process has been difficult, and my memory is terrible. I have now weaned to 37.5 mg. and will stay at this dose for a while. I have always been extremely sensitive to prescription meds; lower dose makes sense.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2014 6:27 PM

Have been taking venalafaxine for almost 3 months. Started with 37.5 dose for 30 days then increase to 75mg dose and then another 30 days increased to 112.5 mg . The effect was gradual and seemed to work great at first but with time the effectiveness reduces hence the increase to get to the proper level. I have used Ativan for those times when it gets unmanageable to help elevate the stress. Back to the doctor for follow up and an increase to 150 mg. I am happy with the results so far regardless of how long it takes. It's better than dealing with the anxiety and stress!

May 6, 2014 2:57 PM

Review by SSKirby (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been on Effexor XR 75mg for two months now, after previously being on Zoloft and Celexa. The two other medications were not effective for my anxiety and depression, and they tended to make me either tired or foggy regardless of the time of day that I took them. I expected the tiredness to wear off, but the foggy feeling never did. My doctor prescribed Effexor XR, and it has been very effective for both my depression and anxiety symptoms. I am not 100% perfect, and I still have anxiety, but in the appropriate moments. The moments of unreasonable anxiety attacks are fewer and far between since starting the medicine. I had no negative side effects, and I take it every morning at 9am.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2014 11:12 AM

Review by Happy in Canada (taken for 10 years or more):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been on Effexor for the past 10 years - I started having panic attacks as a child although I didn't know at the time what was going on - when I was 17 the doctor prescribed Valium that I took periodically when my anxiety got really bad - finally when I was 40 the doctor suggested I go on a very low dosage of Effexor (37.5mg) because he was sure I had generalized anxiety disorder - what a difference this has made in my life - felt"weird" the first few weeks but now I have very little anxiety and really no side effects except maybe lower libido. I had no idea how much anxiety I had been living with all my life.

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2014 10:15 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I suffered with severe anxiety, especially in social situations. I think mine was linked to coming off my pill and my hormones going crazy. I tried sertraline for two days and felt horrid - flu like symptoms, depression, nausea, fatigue! I then tried venlafaxine and after two weeks my anxiety had gone. It came back around the time of the month but this medicine has truly fixed me. I understand that different medicines work for different people but this saved my life.

December 23, 2013 1:53 PM

Review by Chaz303:

Only 3 days of nausea at first. Dosage is 37.5mg. A lot calmer. But will increase dosage about a month later. Having vivid dreams at night. Having skin irritation but not sure if its caused by something else. Not confirmed. Had a severe diarrhea reaction to Flucozanole (anti-fungal pill), so I think there is an interaction between the two.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2013 2:48 PM

Review by ml_inFLA (taken for less than 1 month):

I took this for one day. Had panic attacks, and even worse, inability to urinate until it cleared my system. Also I have memory gaps from the day I was on it. I'd rather be anxious.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2013 4:23 PM

Review by Anxietylady:

I've been on this medication for one week so far, and I already notice a difference in myself. It is certainly helping me- I suffered from severe anxiety/ anxiety attacks over the past several months, and I haven't had a single attack since being on this medication. The anxiety has also lessened. I'll up my dose soon, so it should continue to kick in and help.

November 20, 2013 4:10 PM

Review by Jaded123 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Had horrible side effects, did not sleep for 2 weeks. Developed tics. Felt like I was living a nightmare. Had to be hospitalized. They took me off Effexor. And I started Zoloft. Zoloft worked fantastic . Took Zoloft for a year. Been off meds for 9 years with no problems.

October 23, 2013 3:48 AM

Review by Dingdingding:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been on this medication for approximately 3 weeks now. It is a God send for me. I noticed results on day 2. I have had recurring depressive episodes my entire adult life. This episode I was unable to get out of bed, sleeping up to 14 hours a day, not going into work (thankfully I have a very understanding boss). I was not suicidal this time, I actually think that I really didn't care enough to do anything about it. My whole attitude was that, "I just don't care." I have anxiety as well, but the episodes have always been well controlled with 1mg of Ativan. I had the racing thoughts, inability to concentrate, unable to finish almost any task-if I even got as far to start one. 175mg of Effexor and I can finally function.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2013 1:58 PM

Review by BB11:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I was diagnosed with Celiac's disease 3 years ago although I probably had it for about 7 years. My body didn't absorb many nutrients so I had anxiety about everything. I am on high doses of B12 and Vit. D and the doctor thought I should try Effexor. I first started on a small dose and then she tried me on 75 mg which is still a small dose. This really works for me. I'm not jittery or have negative thoughts. I've only been on this for 6 months but everything seems okay.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2013 2:01 PM

Review by Relaxed and at Peace (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I started on Effexor 37.5 and graduated to 75 mg. I was on it for about 7 years and it really worked for me. No more panic attacks and insomnia. It was also prescribed for hormone replacement. About 4 months ago I decided that I wanted to be free from medication and my doctor weaned me off of it. I did we'll for a while but the panic attacks returned about 2 weeks ago along with a preoccupation with death . I started Effexor 75 mg yesterday and can already tell a difference. It works for me and I'm staying on it this time.

August 24, 2013 2:24 PM

Review by Devon1177 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I am from Canada, 24 year old female. I have always been a worrier but first experienced anxiety in my 4th year at University 3 years ago, I had a panic attack which then turned into panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Effexor is a GREAT medication for me, my dose was raised way to quickly at the beginning, I went from 75mg to 150mg to 225mg in a month and a half and got horrible Effexor induced anxiety but when my GP realized what was going on she put me back to 75mg and then very slowly put me up to 112.5mg and I have been there for 2 months now and I think it is the perfect dose for me. I don't have intrusive thoughts or panic sensations. Be patient, it's worth it!

June 24, 2013 1:21 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Works well to stop my anxiety. I can participate in life again and I am doing things that I used to do. Started with 75 mg started to become more effective at 150 mg. Some side effects but they are getting better with time.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2013 12:30 PM

Review by vgailj (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): This medicine did not work for me.

April 19, 2013 1:02 PM