User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 102 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

"I have been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety my whole life. I have been on multiple medicines to try to tame them, and nothing really worked... until now. I got on effexor and immediately felt relief of anxiety. I hadn't felt like that since I was a very small child. It felt like the world was lifted off my shoulders! I couldn't believe the difference! I recommend this medicine to anyone who suffers with anxiety. I tthought all this time that how I was feeling was related to depression, but it wasn't! It was anxiety. I love how I feel now and would love to be a spokeswoman for this medicine. It made me feel so much better! Highly recommend to anyone."

Stacemeisterbee February 8, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have Hereditary Depression, Bipolar Type 2, PTSD, High Anxiety, Insomnia, I also had some bad Paranoia issues at the time prescribed because of an insane stalker. I have taken over 50 medication combinations. This by far is the worst drug I have ever taken. I knick named it, "Effects Her!!!". The medication was hell on Earth for me. I had several bad side effects on this med. The worst being that when I fell asleep my brain created extremely realistic vivid dreams. Also, after sleeping for a few hours, it seemed like very high impact stressful weeks had just gone by in real time. So I had to try to decipher reality upon waking. Needless to say, I lost my job! My Anxiety and Paranoia were worse! Plus it is absolute Hell to come off of!!!"

Never take this EVER!!! February 6, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "The drug works well. The problem is trying to get off it or if you run out of pills. Numerous blogs are dedicated to the horror stories of detoxing from this Med! Be very careful and do your research before you start taking this drug!!!"

TaxiTaxi January 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was prescribed Effexor XR for anxiety while I was home from college over winter break. I took it one day and I felt good but then I couldn't sleep for the following entire next day and then it made me feel completely sick so I didn't take another one the next day because I wanted to be able to fall asleep. 5 days later I tried to take it again to see if I would be able to fall asleep and that time I wasn't able to fall asleep the next two days and I felt extremely sick and like my brain hurt so bad the next day after taking it. Its been over a week now since the second time I took and I feel like I hate my life. I've never been so depressed and anxious. how long will this last? major regret"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This medication has helped me immensely! I tried Lexapro, but had too many negative side effects. Effexor took about 6 weeks to fully work, but it really brought me out of the depths of my anxirty fuelled depression. I finally feel myself after many years of living in the fog. The side effects for the first 2 weeks for me were: insomnia, increased anxiety/depression, hot flashes, and nausea. These all disappeared after the initial 2 weeks and it's totally worth getting through that rough patch. Once Effexor started working I thought, OMG! I'm back! My body is dependent on it, though. If I miss a dose, I get dizzy and nauseous. Just know you must wean yourself off and not go cold turkey so you don't feel sick."

Anxiety Girl 2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Hi All, I'm a 26-year-old African American woman and I'm so glad that I found Effexor (Venlafaxine, for me) because it has really helped me manage my anxiety and depression. It's not common to talk about medication in the Black community so if you're reading this and think that the drug might help you - just give it a try! My therapist said that Effexor really tends to help young women. I have been on the drug for 16 months and went from 75 mg to 150mg. I just checked in with my prescribing psychiatrist today and I figured I would take some time to write reviews for people who haven't made the jump to medication. I also use Beating the Blues CBT online tool - it's free at my job! The combination, plus eating healthy and working out, works!"

TravelPants December 11, 2015

"I have been taking venlaxafine for 4 days now. I currently am on a 75mg a day dose which my doctor put me on. Day 1 didn't notice anything at all, on the second day I felt a lot more relaxed but totally suppressed my appetite all day and have had a rubbish sleeping pattern ever since. Haven't really done much for my anxiety as of yet but very relaxing, will write an update shortly."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "To Socanxiety. I have been on EffexorXR for over 10 years. (I also have short term memory loss so my doctor put me on Concerta, 36 mgs, which is the lowest dose and it is helping!) I am 59 years old and am happy and less anxious with taking effexor 225 mgs a day. I take 75mg pill before bed and am less anxious when I get up. Then I take the 150mg capsule in the morning. I still have times that I have anticipatory anxiety and use 10 mgs of Valium which helps. I am hoping when we retire and move south that I can lower the Effexor. Great med and I have tried many over the last 20 years!!"

Nomoreanxietyplease1956 November 13, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "2.5 years after the birth of my child I realized I needed help for PPD/PPA. My irritability and anger just kept getting worse and I would go days without leaving the house. I was put on Effexor XR 75mg. I only took one dose around 830 PM. I was up all night, jittery, restless, vivid dreams. The following day I was so out of it I feared I couldn't care for my child and had my SO come home. I was incredibly nauseated and jittery with sprqodic muscle spasms, my fingers were shaking a bit and I had heart palpitations. It was awful. Around 6 PM it started to go away but didn't completely until the following day. I will never take this medication again, it was very scary."

Kxhild (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

"This can increase anxiety to start with. And make you sweat a lot."

Keego123 November 6, 2015

"I'm currently on 150mg of venlafaxine taking every morning and evening, I noticed immediately my social anxiety is gone and I haven't had a panic attack in years. The down side for me is that I find the withdrawal symptoms if I miss a dose by accident absolutely horrible, electrical zaps in my head, pins and needles in my lips, dizziness when moving eyes or head, nausea and extreme anxiety and panic. I would recommend everybody to never ever miss a dose. I also find it hard to remember things and concentrate, my memory has worsened which is hard while at university. I feel tired a lot more of the time and have a lot of muscle twitches and extremely vivid dreams. Though I feel that these downsides are worth it as it works so brilliantly."

Ab1995 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 30, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "After dealing with social anxiety every day, avoiding situations, and constantly being tense I decided that medication was the choice for me. Effexor is the second drug I have tried. This medication has improved my social anxiety in a way that I never thought was possible. I enjoy talking with people and can't believe almost all of my anxiety has vanished. I have read that Effexor can be a slight stimulant, and I do notice this is a big reason I am more talkative and confident. NEGATIVES: My memory is way worse than it's ever been. I do not concentrate well when people are speaking and retaining the information is difficult. My worries are gone, but so are my thoughts about everything. Feel foggy. No other side effects"

socanxiety September 14, 2015

"This medication works excellent for me and I would recommend this medication I use a generic I paid less than $50 for a 30 day prescription"

jaci ar (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 14, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I tried Paroxetine, Prozac and Celexa and had no positive results so my doctor advised I try Effexor XR given it is a SNRI or different class of drug. Almost immediately < 1 Week I felt a positive mood change, my social anxiety and mild stuttering seem to dissipate and I felt balanced. I have been taking Effexor XR now for almost a month now and my anxiety has dropped right off that I feel my normal self again, I am a lot more social and I stutter hardly ever and I think more logically. The only down sides are that I do sleep more and find it harder getting up in the mornings for work and have noticed fluid retention around my abdomen. I do not mind these small side effects because this drug has really helped me get my life together. :)"

MrPatrick August 16, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was on this medication for 2 years and I felt great..no anxiety.. I weaned off over 3 months and have totally been off for 3 month.. All my issues came back. Just started back today fingers crossed it works again. I should have never stopped taking. It was a life changer"

Melissa114 August 9, 2015

"I've been on Lexapro 20mg and Vistiril 100mg for about 2 years. They worked at first but I kept having to take higher doses without any results (those were the ending doses). Went to my doctor and she gave me Effexor 75mg in place of Lexapro and it's working wonders! Absolutely 0 anxiety. She gave me the benzo Klonopin as well, but I barely have to use it because Effexor is doing the trick. It's wonderful to have my life back again, and I thank God for giving me a medication that works."

GoJoGoJo August 7, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was put on this medication for anxiety and depression as I had previously been on lexapro 15mg for 3 years and had consistently had a insatiable appetite. I saw a pyc specialising in perinatal depression as I changed whilst pregnant. I started on 37.5mg of Effexor but needed to constantly increase 75.5mg then 112.5 mg as My biggest complaint on this medication was extreme aggression. I would get so angry I doubted my ability to not harm my children. I obviously saw my doc who has taken me off it, withdrawal was ok till back down to 37.5 mg. Please don't take this medication try everything else before this- side effects for withdrawal are awful I've just got off it and switched to Zoloft and 2nd day in already feeling better."

SD-positive thinker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Was put on a high dose of 375mg and find it overestimulating not good for my anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2015

"29Year Old Male - Quite a bubbly person really but suffer with bad periods of Anxiety and Depression with a lot of Self Confidence issues. I have tried all types of SSRI Fluoxetine, Citalipram, Escitalopram, Propranolol (Beta- Blocker) and none of them seemed to work or do anything about the anxiety. Suffered with Dizzyness Lack of motivation breathing problems, twitches and emotional problems. Within a week of taking venlafaxine I felt brilliant with hardly any side effects. Little bit sweaty during the day and a slight headache at first but they really do make an impact. I have heard a lot about coming off them but I will take each day as it comes and stay on these for as long as advised. Definitely rate these tablets."

GazzaDe (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor stopped my panic attacks almost completely. It's also great for post-menopausal hot flashes. Like others said, you can't miss a dose, but other than that it's amazing. A total life-changer."

So Happy I Found This! June 21, 2015

"I was prescribed anti-depressants for menopausal symptoms, then came the anxiety. My doctor prescribed Venlafaxine. At first it was great, but over the years I am have so many of the side effects of this drug. I didn't realize until now that having difficulty swallowing was a side effect. I've gained weight and can't lose it. I'm not at all the person I was before. Missing a dose required me to call in sick from work, not to mention how terrifying it was. This drug is wrecking my body!! I'm weaning off. Anyone that has done this, please help! Seeing my Dr. Gotta get off!!!"

Poypu (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 21, 2015

"I have been on this medication for over 4 years. I changed to Celexa during that time for a short time but soon had to get back on it. It is true that if you go off it you won't be pleasant to deal with. You become irritable and emotional sort of like the way you were before you started the medication. Overall it really works and I have suffered from depression since my teens."

Kathy M. June 7, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Downside of this med is the first few days, it's tough getting in a regular sleeping sync, it can cause nausea without food or with too much water at one time, and you can't go off abruptly or start taking large doses right away because it can have side effects. However, this medication leaves an unbelievable amount of satisfaction feeling after it takes effect. It took effect on me instantly, but that's my body. I take it midday or late morning after a good meal so it doesn't interrupt my sleep as much. If you don't have slow release, splitting it up might be a good idea, with at least a few hours in between. It prevents me from overeating, but it also prevents me from starving myself because if I don't eat enough I'll feel nauseated."

Munraito June 4, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Started on 37.5mg for a month. First two days were only side effects - I was a little jumpy, couldn't keep legs still, and had insomnia. That went away in 48 hours. Then it shifted to making me sleepy and fairly relaxed. However, I still had breakthrough anxiety crying and didn't feel much change in depression. Decided to up the dose and have been at 75mg for a while now. No side effects. This dose has obliterated my anxiety and helped with depression. All I feel is calm and relaxed. I am more outgoing and happy. Only thing I noticed, like so many others, is that it is tough to miss a dose. But, don't let that dissuade you from trying it. It really has been a miracle for me."

Atexun May 7, 2015

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been on Effexor for anxiety for about 15 years. It changed my life. I tried Wellbutrin first but it made me even more anxiety ridden. For a brief time I felt like the Effexor was not working as well so I switched to Pristiq. Pristiq increased my anxiety so after about 6 months I switched back. Within 3 days I felt almost completely better."

Helprec'd May 5, 2015