User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I tried Paroxetine, Prozac and Celexa and had no positive results so my doctor advised I try Effexor XR given it is a SNRI or different class of drug. Almost immediately < 1 Week I felt a positive mood change, my social anxiety and mild stuttering seem to dissipate and I felt balanced. I have been taking Effexor XR now for almost a month now and my anxiety has dropped right off that I feel my normal self again, I am a lot more social and I stutter hardly ever and I think more logically. The only down sides are that I do sleep more and find it harder getting up in the mornings for work and have noticed fluid retention around my abdomen. I do not mind these small side effects because this drug has really helped me get my life together. :)"

MrPatrick August 16, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was on this medication for 2 years and I felt great..no anxiety.. I weaned off over 3 months and have totally been off for 3 month.. All my issues came back. Just started back today fingers crossed it works again. I should have never stopped taking. It was a life changer"

Melissa114 August 9, 2015

"I've been on Lexapro 20mg and Vistiril 100mg for about 2 years. They worked at first but I kept having to take higher doses without any results (those were the ending doses). Went to my doctor and she gave me Effexor 75mg in place of Lexapro and it's working wonders! Absolutely 0 anxiety. She gave me the benzo Klonopin as well, but I barely have to use it because Effexor is doing the trick. It's wonderful to have my life back again, and I thank God for giving me a medication that works."

GoJoGoJo August 7, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was put on this medication for anxiety and depression as I had previously been on lexapro 15mg for 3 years and had consistently had a insatiable appetite. I saw a pyc specialising in perinatal depression as I changed whilst pregnant. I started on 37.5mg of Effexor but needed to constantly increase 75.5mg then 112.5 mg as My biggest complaint on this medication was extreme aggression. I would get so angry I doubted my ability to not harm my children. I obviously saw my doc who has taken me off it, withdrawal was ok till back down to 37.5 mg. Please don't take this medication try everything else before this- side effects for withdrawal are awful I've just got off it and switched to Zoloft and 2nd day in already feeling better."

SD-positive thinker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Was put on a high dose of 375mg and find it overestimulating not good for my anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2015

"29Year Old Male - Quite a bubbly person really but suffer with bad periods of Anxiety and Depression with a lot of Self Confidence issues. I have tried all types of SSRI Fluoxetine, Citalipram, Escitalopram, Propranolol (Beta- Blocker) and none of them seemed to work or do anything about the anxiety. Suffered with Dizzyness Lack of motivation breathing problems, twitches and emotional problems. Within a week of taking venlafaxine I felt brilliant with hardly any side effects. Little bit sweaty during the day and a slight headache at first but they really do make an impact. I have heard a lot about coming off them but I will take each day as it comes and stay on these for as long as advised. Definitely rate these tablets."

GazzaDe (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor stopped my panic attacks almost completely. It's also great for post-menopausal hot flashes. Like others said, you can't miss a dose, but other than that it's amazing. A total life-changer."

So Happy I Found This! June 21, 2015

"I was prescribed anti-depressants for menopausal symptoms, then came the anxiety. My doctor prescribed Venlafaxine. At first it was great, but over the years I am have so many of the side effects of this drug. I didn't realize until now that having difficulty swallowing was a side effect. I've gained weight and can't lose it. I'm not at all the person I was before. Missing a dose required me to call in sick from work, not to mention how terrifying it was. This drug is wrecking my body!! I'm weaning off. Anyone that has done this, please help! Seeing my Dr. Gotta get off!!!"

Poypu (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 21, 2015

"I have been on this medication for over 4 years. I changed to Celexa during that time for a short time but soon had to get back on it. It is true that if you go off it you won't be pleasant to deal with. You become irritable and emotional sort of like the way you were before you started the medication. Overall it really works and I have suffered from depression since my teens."

Kathy M. June 7, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Downside of this med is the first few days, it's tough getting in a regular sleeping sync, it can cause nausea without food or with too much water at one time, and you can't go off abruptly or start taking large doses right away because it can have side effects. However, this medication leaves an unbelievable amount of satisfaction feeling after it takes effect. It took effect on me instantly, but that's my body. I take it midday or late morning after a good meal so it doesn't interrupt my sleep as much. If you don't have slow release, splitting it up might be a good idea, with at least a few hours in between. It prevents me from overeating, but it also prevents me from starving myself because if I don't eat enough I'll feel nauseated."

Munraito June 4, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Started on 37.5mg for a month. First two days were only side effects - I was a little jumpy, couldn't keep legs still, and had insomnia. That went away in 48 hours. Then it shifted to making me sleepy and fairly relaxed. However, I still had breakthrough anxiety crying and didn't feel much change in depression. Decided to up the dose and have been at 75mg for a while now. No side effects. This dose has obliterated my anxiety and helped with depression. All I feel is calm and relaxed. I am more outgoing and happy. Only thing I noticed, like so many others, is that it is tough to miss a dose. But, don't let that dissuade you from trying it. It really has been a miracle for me."

Atexun May 7, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been on Effexor for anxiety for about 15 years. It changed my life. I tried Wellbutrin first but it made me even more anxiety ridden. For a brief time I felt like the Effexor was not working as well so I switched to Pristiq. Pristiq increased my anxiety so after about 6 months I switched back. Within 3 days I felt almost completely better."

Helprec'd May 5, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have had anxiety and depression for years. Was on all different types of medicines. Even got so badly depressed and anxious that I was bedridden for almost 1 year. I got switched to Effexor and in a few days felt great! I cannot believe I spent all these years in darkness! This is the best medicine ever for me! I am not depressed and zero anxiety! I just wish I would have been on it earlier."

Sonjatx1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Not perfect but pretty close. Switched from Paxil(no emotions)-> Wellbutrin(aka severe anorexia)->Effexor. Basically all medications were pretty decent at anxiety coverage. I found Paxil to be the best without thinking of anything but anxiety attacks. Wellbutrin to be the least effective. Effexor was somewhere in the middle while still letting me enjoy life with an occasional anxiety attack. Since I've been on Effexor I've had maybe 3-4 small anxiety attacks in the span of 2-3 years."

Pops91 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2015

"I took this medicine for about 18 months. After about a year I noticed I had really gained weight... 17 pounds during my time on effexor. So I decided to stop taking this and switch to something else. After just four days, I feel thinner, my clothes fit better. I think I was that rare 1% that gained weight on this med. It is otherwise wonderful. Worked great on my anxiety with no other annoying side effects... But 17 pounds was annoying enough!"

Libgirl April 21, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "You have to keep taking this medicine forever. The withdrawl is awful after a day. However, once you find your dose everything is fine. I don't recommend this medicine because its like a marriage with a messy long divorce. Its better to stay on it once youre on it. I am on 150 mg and it works for me. Don't try and go off"

kevin1234 April 13, 2015

"I am currently taking 75mg of venlafaxine. About 20 minutes after taking my capusule on day 1, I felt a little loopy for about an hour but nothing major. My appetite was tremedously lower for the day as well. Day 2 and now at today, Day 3, it's like I'm taking a sugar pill in terms of side effects. I have none at all and wouldn't feel like I was taking anythign except is has slightly reduced my level of anxiety and I notice that I'm having an easier time focusing on my work projects. I may need to increase the dosage at some point but I'm going to give it a month to see if it needs some time. Hope everyone else has the same postive experience that I have so far!"

Burky March 27, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started having panic attacks at age 10, always been a struggle, then started having really bad bouts of depression. Things got to stage where I was just so tired of being scared all the time and finding it hard to function. I've been on many antidepressants through the years, Lexapro I had been in for over 10 years, phych weaned me off and put me on Effexor. I actually can't believe this. It's only day 2 On 37.5mg to be increased to 75 next week, but I swear I feel a calmness I haven't felt before, surely after 2 days I'm thinking this can't be right, but after reading some reviews I can see that others have had relief in a short time from this medicine. No side effects. Just feel calm. Feeling hopeful"

Calamity017 March 17, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed this medicine for anxiety. I took this stuff for a couple of days, had an adverse reaction and needed to stop. Since then I'm going through a severe crisis. Fits of rage, urges to hurt myself or others, migraine, nausea, self harming, fainting, heart racing, paranoia, multiple trips to the ER, almost locked up in the closed psychiatric ward. I have never had any of the above mentioned symptoms before. I was just anxious and a little depressed. I want my life back. I'm starting to loose hope."

Leila007 (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Been on Effexor since July 2014. I take the lower dosage 2x a day as the higher one all at once made me feel sick. I have severe anxiety to the point where i didn't want to leave the house. I am also on Ativan for moments i know when i panic...way better than Xanax. I was on Paxil, Wellbutron...neither worked, made me feel like a zombie. The only drawback with the Effexor is that I am exhausted!!"

drea1973 February 25, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This is by far the most effective antidepressant I have EVER taken. I have tried Prozac, Zoloft, and Celexa which all caused numerous unwanted side effects. I have been on Effexor XR for a month and in the beginning the only side effect I experienced was being sleepy. This went away after about a week. I can tell you after just one week my mood lifted and I have zero anxiety. Thank you Effexor XR."

Anonymous February 10, 2015

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor XR for about a year, after switching from Paxil. It is a scary thing to read all these reviews, and question about whether you should or should not take it. I personally started for anxiety, and it has helped tremendously. To me having panic attacks is not a fun task, yes are there side effects but everything you put into your body does. Please try what your doctor recommends before you read all the reviews."

0521j0929d January 26, 2015

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Update to review below. I have now been on Effexor XR for six months, and I can honestly say that it's worked wonders in eliminating my depression and obsessive thinking. I wasn't able to stay on the low 37.5mg dose, as I discovered that this is a starting dose only. I have been on 150 mg for about four months, and apparently this is the lowest effective dose for achieving a therapeutic effect for most disorders. My depression has gone, and I no longer have obsessive thoughts that were making daily life a living hell. The only drawback with Effexor XR is that it has low half life, which means that it doesn't stay in your system for long, and if you miss a dose you will feel withdrawal within a few hours. This medicine has been a life saver!"

Rob C (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 23, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I used to be strong and positive. Many deaths in the family including my daughter. And terrible post traumatic stress disorder and PND meant I wasn't coping with life. Panic attacks sent me to hospital. I was convinced I was going to have a cardiac arrest. Started on 37.5mg then progressed to 75. Brilliant stuff. I'm lucky in that I have had no side effects and I feel like a new person. Highly recommended."

Hullaboo November 18, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Have been on Effexor xr 75mg for about 1 year now for anxiety & panic attacks. I had a constant odd pain in my stomach (like butterflys and hunger). I would sweat uncontrollably & get dizzy & faint if I was put in a situation I wasn't comfortable with. I went to a Dr. who diagnosed me with anxiety and put me onto Effexor. The first 3 days were hell, every bad review I read on Google I could relate to, I even ended up going to the ER one night as I felt so nauseous and felt like I was losing control and could not stop freaking out. The Dr told me to stick to it, and promised it would get better. I'm so glad I did. I feel that this medication has saved me. I can almost live a normal life again."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 4, 2014

170 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next