User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Started on 37.5mg for a month. First two days were only side effects - I was a little jumpy, couldn't keep legs still, and had insomnia. That went away in 48 hours. Then it shifted to making me sleepy and fairly relaxed. However, I still had breakthrough anxiety crying and didn't feel much change in depression. Decided to up the dose and have been at 75mg for a while now. No side effects. This dose has obliterated my anxiety and helped with depression. All I feel is calm and relaxed. I am more outgoing and happy. Only thing I noticed, like so many others, is that it is tough to miss a dose. But, don't let that dissuade you from trying it. It really has been a miracle for me."

Atexun May 7, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been on Effexor for anxiety for about 15 years. It changed my life. I tried Wellbutrin first but it made me even more anxiety ridden. For a brief time I felt like the Effexor was not working as well so I switched to Pristiq. Pristiq increased my anxiety so after about 6 months I switched back. Within 3 days I felt almost completely better."

Helprec'd May 5, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have had anxiety and depression for years. Was on all different types of medicines. Even got so badly depressed and anxious that I was bedridden for almost 1 year. I got switched to Effexor and in a few days felt great! I cannot believe I spent all these years in darkness! This is the best medicine ever for me! I am not depressed and zero anxiety! I just wish I would have been on it earlier."

Sonjatx1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Not perfect but pretty close. Switched from Paxil(no emotions)-> Wellbutrin(aka severe anorexia)->Effexor. Basically all medications were pretty decent at anxiety coverage. I found Paxil to be the best without thinking of anything but anxiety attacks. Wellbutrin to be the least effective. Effexor was somewhere in the middle while still letting me enjoy life with an occasional anxiety attack. Since I've been on Effexor I've had maybe 3-4 small anxiety attacks in the span of 2-3 years."

Pops91 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2015

"I took this medicine for about 18 months. After about a year I noticed I had really gained weight... 17 pounds during my time on effexor. So I decided to stop taking this and switch to something else. After just four days, I feel thinner, my clothes fit better. I think I was that rare 1% that gained weight on this med. It is otherwise wonderful. Worked great on my anxiety with no other annoying side effects... But 17 pounds was annoying enough!"

Libgirl April 21, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "You have to keep taking this medicine forever. The withdrawl is awful after a day. However, once you find your dose everything is fine. I don't recommend this medicine because its like a marriage with a messy long divorce. Its better to stay on it once youre on it. I am on 150 mg and it works for me. Don't try and go off"

kevin1234 April 13, 2015

"I am currently taking 75mg of venlafaxine. About 20 minutes after taking my capusule on day 1, I felt a little loopy for about an hour but nothing major. My appetite was tremedously lower for the day as well. Day 2 and now at today, Day 3, it's like I'm taking a sugar pill in terms of side effects. I have none at all and wouldn't feel like I was taking anythign except is has slightly reduced my level of anxiety and I notice that I'm having an easier time focusing on my work projects. I may need to increase the dosage at some point but I'm going to give it a month to see if it needs some time. Hope everyone else has the same postive experience that I have so far!"

Burky March 27, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started having panic attacks at age 10, always been a struggle, then started having really bad bouts of depression. Things got to stage where I was just so tired of being scared all the time and finding it hard to function. I've been on many antidepressants through the years, Lexapro I had been in for over 10 years, phych weaned me off and put me on Effexor. I actually can't believe this. It's only day 2 On 37.5mg to be increased to 75 next week, but I swear I feel a calmness I haven't felt before, surely after 2 days I'm thinking this can't be right, but after reading some reviews I can see that others have had relief in a short time from this medicine. No side effects. Just feel calm. Feeling hopeful"

Calamity017 March 17, 2015

"I was prescribed this medicine for anxiety. I took this stuff for a couple of days, had an adverse reaction and needed to stop. Since then I'm going through a severe crisis. Fits of rage, urges to hurt myself or others, migraine, nausea, self harming, fainting, heart racing, paranoia, multiple trips to the ER, almost locked up in the closed psychiatric ward. I have never had any of the above mentioned symptoms before. I was just anxious and a little depressed. I want my life back. I'm starting to loose hope."

Leila007 (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Been on Effexor since July 2014. I take the lower dosage 2x a day as the higher one all at once made me feel sick. I have severe anxiety to the point where i didn't want to leave the house. I am also on Ativan for moments i know when i panic...way better than Xanax. I was on Paxil, Wellbutron...neither worked, made me feel like a zombie. The only drawback with the Effexor is that I am exhausted!!"

drea1973 February 25, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This is by far the most effective antidepressant I have EVER taken. I have tried Prozac, Zoloft, and Celexa which all caused numerous unwanted side effects. I have been on Effexor XR for a month and in the beginning the only side effect I experienced was being sleepy. This went away after about a week. I can tell you after just one week my mood lifted and I have zero anxiety. Thank you Effexor XR."

Anonymous February 10, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor XR for about a year, after switching from Paxil. It is a scary thing to read all these reviews, and question about whether you should or should not take it. I personally started for anxiety, and it has helped tremendously. To me having panic attacks is not a fun task, yes are there side effects but everything you put into your body does. Please try what your doctor recommends before you read all the reviews."

0521j0929d January 26, 2015

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Update to review below. I have now been on Effexor XR for six months, and I can honestly say that it's worked wonders in eliminating my depression and obsessive thinking. I wasn't able to stay on the low 37.5mg dose, as I discovered that this is a starting dose only. I have been on 150 mg for about four months, and apparently this is the lowest effective dose for achieving a therapeutic effect for most disorders. My depression has gone, and I no longer have obsessive thoughts that were making daily life a living hell. The only drawback with Effexor XR is that it has low half life, which means that it doesn't stay in your system for long, and if you miss a dose you will feel withdrawal within a few hours. This medicine has been a life saver!"

Rob C (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 23, 2014

"I used to be strong and positive. Many deaths in the family including my daughter. And terrible post traumatic stress disorder and PND meant I wasn't coping with life. Panic attacks sent me to hospital. I was convinced I was going to have a cardiac arrest. Started on 37.5mg then progressed to 75. Brilliant stuff. I'm lucky in that I have had no side effects and I feel like a new person. Highly recommended."

Hullaboo November 18, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Have been on Effexor xr 75mg for about 1 year now for anxiety & panic attacks. I had a constant odd pain in my stomach (like butterflys and hunger). I would sweat uncontrollably & get dizzy & faint if I was put in a situation I wasn't comfortable with. I went to a Dr. who diagnosed me with anxiety and put me onto Effexor. The first 3 days were hell, every bad review I read on Google I could relate to, I even ended up going to the ER one night as I felt so nauseous and felt like I was losing control and could not stop freaking out. The Dr told me to stick to it, and promised it would get better. I'm so glad I did. I feel that this medication has saved me. I can almost live a normal life again."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 4, 2014

161 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've had generalized anxiety disorder for 1 year now. Tried self medicating for 6 months. No help. Went on Lexapro and it was horrible. Waking up with worse anxiety than ever. Quit after 3 weeks. Now that I'm on venlafaxine for 3 weeks. Feeling much much better. A few side effects the first week but stick with it. They go away. Mostly felt tired and loss of apatite. This medicine is working."

Nadey September 1, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've suffered severe anxiety/panic attacks my entire life. I've had Xanax, Valium, Prozac and Edronax over the cause of my years. I finally changed doctor, came off everything, to start where I'm at now. I began on 37.5mg over two weeks ago and noticed a difference straight away. Now on 75mg and getting better every single day. My panic attacks could cause me to pass out, so this is a huge leap in health for me. For those concerned about coming off Xanax, it's so worth the effort. I now feel like I'm getting my life back and I'm truly grateful."

starsoul50 (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2014

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Started taking Venlafaxine ER a year ago for anxiety. Started at 75mg daily and am currently on 150mg per day, and have been for about 8 months. It has helped a ton with the anxiety! While I am not completely clear from anxiety, it is much much better to handle. I did not gain any weight whatsoever. I do notice that if I forget to take it I feel a bit nauseous and lightheaded so I have set an alarm on my phone. I take both 75mg pills at one time so that it's done for the day. All in all, I would recommend!!"

Blondegirl311 August 13, 2014

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Have suffered from bouts of severe anxiety over the last few years that would leave me bedridden, suicidal, unable to work or eat. Tried Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Luvox and honestly thought nothing would ever work for me. All made me worse. Psych doctor wanted to try Effexor XR but I was worried about the withdrawing from it - after trying everything else I finally agreed. Has taken a month to feel a difference. I'm enjoying things again, not chewed up by horrible anxiety, I'm actually HAPPY?! 1st month on it was so challenging - very low, anxious, exhausted, nauseous. But now no side effects. I feel like a light's gone on. Like I am getting my life back. I could sob with relief. Truly believed I'd never get better, but here I am."

Mitra_ August 9, 2014

166 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have suffered with major depression my whole adult life. Have been on several types of antidepressants all of which left me feeling like a zombie. The first time I took Effexor I noticed a major swing in my moods it has been a total saviour for me. Two weeks ago I was in bad shape, today a week of Effexor I feel on top of the world . This medication with the help of family friends and councilor had without a doubt totally turned my life around now everything in my life is happy and positive. Without this medication my future would've been bleak to say the least."

Downout (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2014

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I'm 19 and have suffered with anxiety for three years or so. Previously had been on Prozac and Lexapro which were both hellish. Began taking Effexor XR two months ago and started feeling better two weeks through but out of no where the medication not only ceased to work but actually made my anxiety a lot worse. Have horrible agitation, depression, irritability and insomnia. Pity I could really do with an antidepressant than works!"

adam1994 July 24, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Went on Effexor for panic disorder/social anxiety caused by OCD. It was debilitating and the symptoms really affected my ability to go through life. I had been on other meds, which did not do much, so I was genuinely surprised and happy when the Effexor made a noticeable difference in the frequency and severity of my panic attacks. I have a few moments of panic now and then, but nothing as bad as it was. OCD is still there, but does not cause me too much distress or interrupt my life as much as it used to (and Effexor is not meant to treat OCD anyway). The side effect that got me the most was tiredness, so I was put on Wellbutrin to balance that out, and it seems to be working for me. The other side effects are entirely bearable."

Maple Fritters July 10, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Switched to Effexor XR after having severe anxiety side effects with Prozac 20mg. With Prozac initial side effects, I didn't sleep for days, constant, ceaseless agitation and restlessness, ended up in ER for psych evaluation which has never happened to me before. Doctor switched me to Effexor XR 37.5 mg and on the second day I noticed that after taking the pill in the morning, by the afternoon I was much calmer, almost drowsy, which was an enormous relief after two weeks of severe anxiety. After two weeks on Effexor XR I'm doing much better; much less anxiety and worry. The PM drowsiness has gone too. I hope to stay on the low dose."

Rob C (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2014

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This is the only medicine that totally helps me. I seldom have to take Alprazolam or Valium with the Effexor. I tried switching to Cymbalta for nerve pain..what a mistake. I am back on Effexor. "

LaniP392 June 27, 2014

"I've tried many different medications over the years and this is the only one that has worked for me. It also gives me energy as a positive side effect. It has changed my life for the better. I take the smallest dose and noticed a difference in a few weeks!"

medical assistant June 3, 2014