User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Review Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

"I havent had a single panic attack since starting this drug which has been a MIRACLE. It was rough to get on it, like having the flu, but so worth it. I had GI side effects for about another two weeks but then those disappeared too. I have no bad side effects now. My default mood has returned to pretty-happy and things I couldn't do because of OCD, I can do now. I think this might be the one! I only gave it a 9 because I've been picking my scalp nonstop since about a month on it, but not sure if its because of effexor or not."

Eru (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "If I didn't have side effects from Effexor, I would still be on it right now. I'm currently in the stages of slowly tapering off of it, with instruction from my doctor. I went from 75mg to 150mg. Now, I am taking a 75 37.5 for a week, tapering it off every week from there. You need to be extremely disciplined about taking this medicine every day, and at the same time every day. With my schedule, I was never able to take it at the same time every day. I would get what are called "brain zaps," which is the feeling like everything rushed to your head for a split second. I also had sexual side effects on Effexor, though it was more noticeable on lower doses. I've been on Zoloft, Luvox, Prozac and Effexor. On to Cymbalta now."

JC33 June 13, 2013

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I was walking the streets at night before I started Effexor. Diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder. Been on it over 10 years. Once in a while I try to ween myself off and I start to have those terrible feelings again. I will stay on it the rest of my life. I can live normally."

Anonymous September 28, 2011

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor XR is the ONLY anti-depressant I can take. It works so well, and honestly saves my life. It makes me a happier, nicer person. I couldn't function without this medication."

Anonymous November 11, 2010

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This drug saved my life. No side effects and I can now move on with my life."

Anonymous November 26, 2009

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor is the only antidepressant that has helped my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and I have tried quite a few. It is the only one that has had very few side effects as long as you take it regularly. It has greatly helped me deal with my OCD and has greatly improved my overall mood and outlook on life. I take it in conjunction with Pimozide which has eliminated the intrusive unwanted thoughts and also Dextrostat which helped eliminate the tiredness associated with with taking the previous medications. These 3 medications have given me a new lease on life. Prior to this mix of medicines I must have tried a couple dozen that either didn't work for me or had too many side effects."

OCD Guy May 31, 2009