User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I suffered depression and anxiety at a very difficult time in my life 5 years ago and have been on efexor 75mg since then... it took the edge off highly stressful situations and helped me to cope in a calm and positive way :) Life has been good since then, even though family problems have endured (thankfully to a lesser extent)... side effect of nausea was to be expected during first few weeks but after that no problems at all... effexor has been a wonder for me... :):):)"

pealove May 23, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Horrific side effects and incredibly difficult to wean off of as well because of the withdrawal symptoms. When I first started taking it, I felt some relief but it didn't last very long. I'd taken Lexapro and Zoloft in the past and felt that, over time, they were no longer helpful in treating my depression which is why my doctor put me on Effexor. It took me a while to realize this medication was worsening my depression symptoms and I didn't realize it until after a botched suicide attempt. I don't recommend this medication to ANYONE for any reason. Worst of the worst as far as I'm concerned. It'll trick your brain for a little while into thinking you're improving but the depression and anxiety will come back and hit you ten times worse!"

cd87925 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

"Thus drug is the most horrid thing I have ever been on, so far been taking 75mg for two weeks to help with my depression, I feel like a zombie always tired and always weak, just feel like vomiting or my head is pounding! Would not recommend for anyone."

Brookiecookie702 May 4, 2016

"I started this medication a month ago for anxiety and depression. Immediately I started feeling different during the first few days of taking this medication. But once i started taking the medication, I started feeling better. I still had episodes of anxiety, stress, and depression, but they were more manageable. The only negative side effects were yawning, dry mouth and inability to remain asleep during the night. My GP decided to have me switch over to sertraline this past weekend due to the trouble of sleeping. I am currently on day 3 of sertraline, and I don't feel quite like I was when taking venlafaxine. Need to give it more time. At least I know this one will work if need to switch back."

Somepenguin369 May 2, 2016

"I have had some level of depression for decades. Also have some form of anxiety I have never understood as to why, PG calls it social anxiety. After being prescribed a series of anti-depressants for years I landed on Venlafaxine and have been taking it for 20 years 150 mg by GP Tried to stop gradually as GP required but found I must need it due to a chemical imbalance rather than a life situation. Only one minor side effect is dizziness. Can avoid this by eating something and drinking a full glass of water when taking it. Drink minimum 6-8 glasses of water a day, more if needed as this will also alleviate dizziness. I don't know how helpful it would be if my life fell apart completely. But it has worked fine for me all these years."

grevor (taken for 10 years or more) April 29, 2016

"This is the only anti depressant I've ever been on and I've been on it for about 4 months now I've had about 4 seizures and I twitch as I'm falling asleep and in my sleep I shake uncontrollably, I've read a few reviews similar to mine only theirs were worse and have been hospitalized. I am a normal 20 year old healthy female I only suffer from depression and I'm on suboxone I am switching this weekend to Zoloft I put it off for so long because when I don't have these pills I feel extreme withdrawal and my head feels crazy and brain zaps all weird I can't handle being off it so I was scared to switch. But to each their own my personal experience with it wasn't good other than twitching it works."

Capcakes April 28, 2016

"my gp started me on Venlafaxine yesterday to help with depression and the change,a hour after taking them i was feeling very sick couldn,t stomach food or fluids, thought keep it up as she told me they did come with some side effects which would get better,took another one last night and was so ill i couldn,t stand ,being sick sweating shaking thought i was going to pass out. Did get some sleep hopeing to feel better this morning,took another one and felt so spaced out dry mouth shaking ,sick, so booked in to see gp again to make sure i should be feeling like this, only to find out she had put me on the wrong dose should have been on 37.5mg was put on 150mg, now on right dose hope this will be better"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Effexor has been absolutely brilliant for me. I was on and off Lexapro for years, it made the anxiety less but I felt blunted and almost more depressed as there was no meaning in my life. I have hardly any side effects with Effexor (75mg). nausea the first couple weeks. Excess sweat for about 6 months. Orgasms slightly less intense, but still very enjoyable and probably easier to reach as I'm more relaxed. I find I have less control over sugar/carb cravings and am a bit lower energy and have thus gained some weight - maybe 5 kilos. All in all, I was very reluctant to try this, but it has changed my life for the better. Sometimes worry about withdrawal and safety in pregnancy - but I think Effexor saved my life, so that's the main thing!"

bluejuice (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "It should be ILLEGAL to prescribe this drug. I have tried most antidepressents and never have i experienced such atrocious side effects from withdrawing. I have never written a review on anything but i was compelled to share the experience. again, it should be illegal to prescribe effexor xl."

poppy271 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Sadly only lasted 5 days on Effexor XR. The side effects from the 75mg dose was unlike anything I have experienced before. Within 10 hours of the first dose I had severe anxiety - something I had never experienced before. Within hours of second dose the extreme nausea came on. By day 3 I was pratically bed-ridden in cold sweats and feeling completely "out of it" . I persevered hoping the effects would begin to subside but by the 5th day I had severe nausea, couldn't get out of bed from feeling so sick, horrible tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and felt spaced out to the point that I began to wonder if I would ever feel "normal" again. Advised by GP to cease immediately on hearing my side effects."

Simesy (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was prescribed effexor for anxiety which interfered with sleeping - worry about getting to sleep meant that I wouldn't sleep which made me feel exhausted, depressed and useless. I've also tried Zoloft and Luvox which didn't do anything. CBT and mindfulness were also pretty useless - just made me slightly more obsessive about my weird problems with getting to sleep. Effexor has been amazing. Apart from some insomnia and lightheadedness during the first week I don't have any side effects. I don't have the same obsessive and weird anxious thoughts over getting to sleep or other minor things which preoccupied me and made me feel dreadful. I sleep well and my head feels so clear."

StephanieKandS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "It changed my life. 48 years of just dealing with anxiety and depression not wanting to be on medication. With the onset of pre-menopause the depression was unbearable and more feelings of hopelessness. My doctor prescribed 75 mg and I feel alive again. The torment of paranoia, anxiety and the depression are gone."

BAC67 April 19, 2016

"I was so happy to find a site that allowed me to understand the "brain zaps", headaches, nausea and light sensativity I was getting. I thought it was some kind of migraine or a brain tumor. I have been on 175 MG for some years and my anger and depression are improved greatly but like some others if I am even a few hours late with my pill the side effects start . I know I need to wean off but am scared to death of the withdrawal."

babsbo April 18, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I just wanted to die while going through withdrawal, while tapering off very gradually and for six months afterwards. Longer term effects are too painful to write about right now. Avoid."

Jane A April 17, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I was angry all the time and miserable, the doctor prescribed effexor 75's. The first few days I felt wonderful, better than I'd felt for years. After that it was the same old, same old but I wasn't angry. anymore. I started getting really bad sweats, I would be just sitting there and sweat would start rolling down my face. I also started grinding my teeth and picking at sores on my arms and back. I went back to the doctor, she upped the medication to 150. The sweating has stopped, I am working on the teeth grinding and the picking. I was hoping to feel as good as I did when I first started taking the pills but I don't. Insurance only covers price of generic, pharmacist has me on program that has Effexor makers pay part too"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I had a lot of side effects on Effexor 37mg- dry mouth, constipation, increased heart rate and blood pressure, ringing in ears, nausea, shakiness, more anxiety and so on. I don't remember having all these with Lexapro or Zoloft a few years ago. At least not to the same degree as Effexor and if there was any side effects they went away after a few weeks. I switched back to Zoloft 25mg after 3 weeks and 3 days in I already feel better - no more feeling wired or jittery. Effexor is not the med for me. It did help the depression, but the crazy side effects aren't worth it to me. I do have a friend that's been on it awhile and it work great for her."

mighty1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I've been on effexor for over 10 years now,it was good at first before I took it I couldn't control my anger,but I've had several bad years separation domestic violence and my children and I were homeless things with those matters are starting to get a little better now,but I'm finding I'm feeling so sad and down thoughts of suicide and I'm good sometimes and other times I cry myself to sleep I really don't know if its working anymore I'm currently on 75 mg"

Heavan and hell April 14, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was put on effexor for severe depression at 75mg. This got raised every time it stopped working until I reached 225mg. I was on it for about 3 years. To be fair it worked really well the first 2 years. BUT, after the second year I went flat, felt No emotion at all, didn't care about anyone or anything. It was worse than the depression that I was originally treated for! Then came the time to get off of it. This was like hell! I have had to detox from opiates in the past and that was a piece of cake compared to this. It took me over a year to get off of it and ended up taking tiny beads until I was well enough to stop. If you can avoid this medicine do it!!"

Cricketk April 10, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Went on Effexor Aug 2015 through Oct 2015, improved depression, however, did not really feel any joy either. Effexor helped with diet, appetite declined, which I was happy with, as it allowed me to lose weight. Effexor/Venlafaxine did cause me to get angry, and acquire a bad temper on occasion. The primary problem I had with effexor/venlafaxine though was that it caused terrible constipation. No matter how good my diet was, it didn't matter. I ate steamed vegetables and fruit, with occasional lean meats, cut out junk food. I took psyllium every day, added Miralax, and drank plenty of fluids. I had no choice but to come off the Venlafaxine, bowel movements came back about 5-6 days later. I did have minor withdrawal with dizziness."

rb1979 April 9, 2016

"The only words to describe this drug is horrible. A drug that is so highly addictive and near impossible to come off obviously has been released into the market when it shouldn't have been. The withdrawals are Inhumane literally and this drug SHOULD be banned based on the withdrawals alone."

Jojocull38 April 7, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I took this medicine about 6 years ago for depression and PTSD . This is a horrible medication, doctor I saw told me it was a magic drug for depression. Magic as in the sense it is god awful and turned me into a monster. I went from being depressed to being super depressed. I think I suffered from all of the side effects listed, and now that I had a genetic test to find out why medications didn't work on me , I know why. Being a poor metabolizer made it so the medications build up in my system and I get the horrible side effects, and this one was no different. The withdrawal from this was god awful almost unbearable, from the brain zaps, to the uncontrolled crying, all the way to a 1 day hospital stay. Stay away"

Ptsddude (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

"It’s now six months since my psychiatrist switched me to 150mg daily of this drug from 40mg Escitalopram, which had worked for me but quite suddenly ceased to be effective - so much so that I became intent on suicide. Instantly, I became a zombie – constantly exhausted, irritable, unable to concentrate, loss of sexual function and basically subsisting from day to day. Whilst I now felt too lethargic to even contemplate suicide, my doctor thought these side-effects were unusual and so we tried halving the dosage, but 75mg proved inadequate and just made me feel wired. Since adjusting the dosage to 112.5mg, however, I feel so much better and all of the initial side-effects have since abated, so for me, getting the dosage right was crucial."

Whatabuzz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 2, 2016

"I only took this med, for 2 weeks. The first days, I felt great! I felt like this med, was going to work for me. Soon after, I started to feel; tired, sleepy, restless, I would get weird dreams and I started to feel mad. For the first time, I had a thought about suicide!!!! I know I have problems, but I love life...and I knew thinking about that was simply not me! Moreover, on Thursday- friday night I was out of town and missed the med. The downfall for not taking them has horrible! I felt dizzy, and nauseous.I literally felt like I was going to pass out! I felt drugged or drunk! And I started to throw up like never before. I've never experienced nothing like this ever, sadly I'm still trying to get better 4 days later. I now take Citalopra"

Anonymous March 30, 2016

"Started with feeling nauseated, followed by severe vomiting and diarrhea."

MrsMLT (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"It's good Friday 2016. I got up today at 1pm. I went to bed at 11pm last night. My wife claims the dose isn't helping. it sure is helping me sleep, I have not added or changed any other meds."

Wecj March 25, 2016