User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "originally on seroxat (paxil) for 17 years. felt so good on 20mg that after having my child I thought I would come off it as thinking of having second baby. I was put on prozac to help with withdrawal. after 4 months on prozac I was an absolute mess so Dr put me on effexor. I've been on this now for 6 months. I cry literally every day. it has created obsessional and horrible thoughts, I am constantly tired. I have anxiety and panic. I feel it has actually created new symptoms that I never had. I do not like this drug and am coming off it as soon as I get an appointment with the psychiatrist"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

"I went to my doctor after suffering several years of depression. I was in my late twenties and had been feeling strong suicidal depression since my mid teens. I went to a doctor finally and after talking to me for about three minutes, he prescribed venlafaxine (Effexor brand) I started out at a low dose, and kept getting my dosage raised every time I went back to the same doctor. Each time my dosage was raised, I was feeling worse. The doctor just said it takes time to work. After almost a year of taking this junk, eventually at the highest dosage, I was self mutilating and always suicidal. Doctor was just looking for a kickback from the Pharmaceutical company I suspect. I quit it cold turkey and that was about the same as being on the drug"

Jagov January 28, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Not worth the side effects and withdrawal symptoms."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 24, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I'm only 18 years old and I have been put on some of the worst drugs ever. From Zoloft, concerta to vevance to Prozac and now Effexor. Effexor was actually a little bit worse from Prozac with me. Both of these drugs I quit having regular periods. But, especially with Effexor I had cramps almost the whole month rather than the week of my period. I craved food less I found it difficulty to stay hydrated. I have nightmares almost every night. I've been on drugs since I was 13. Effexor makes everything difficult to remember. I've attempted to go cold turkey it does not work. The dizzy spells, muscle spasms, stomach cramps increase. When they wear off I find myself having more panic attacks and depressing thoughts. I'm only on the 75 mg."

Kittylover777 January 24, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I stopped taking Topamax for mood disorder due to side effects of tingling on fingers and legs. I was recently prescribed 75 mg Effexor ER for chronic depression the generic. I started on the JAN16th noticed be loss of appetite first day, and 21Jan16 weighed in at 228.2 from 234 @ 5'6. My mood has also improved, now I have a bit more energy, and feel hopeful despite my situation not looking that way. I will be adding Wellbutrin with my Effexor. I hope the depression continues to get better and hoping to lose 70-80 lbs. as well. Give it time if it isn't working try something until you find the pill(s) for you, different pills work for different people. We all deserve a better quality of life then we had before. Good Luck"

Queencess (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Started on celexa 8 yrs ago. It was tremendously successful at 60mg, so much so that I nicknamed it routine Xanax. Then FDA directed lower dose to 40mg for senior citizens due to small possibility of dropping dead from altered heart rhythm. So my shrink and I tried Zoloft(I felt zombified). Lost two Drs. cause they transferred to different departments, then we tried adding wellbutrin to cover the side effects, but that simulated taking a strong stimulant, shakey and anxious. Was was then carefully switched to effexor SR. Once completely off the wellbutrin and Zoloft, and taking Effexor SR caps 150mg, I'm now, after a few days, approaching benefits of celexa, with side effects decreasing or gone. Will ask for 1 more slight dose increase."

knuckleD (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

"I have suffered depression since childhood, also obsessive compulsive disorder and starting in my 20's major depressive disorder w/ psychotic features and massive anxiety. I have been on many of the SSRI's and they even tried me on lithium on one occasion, but it seemed to do nothing. One anti depressant that did work for me for 2 years was Nefazadone, it made me feel normal and even above the normal line. I am also diagnosed with dysthymia. One day the nefazadone quit working and I went into a major depression for months. I currently am on a high dose of Venlafaxine, 300 mg a day, but it is working. About a half hour after taking my morning meds I start to feel a lot better, and anxiety is nearly gone."

I.M. Sincere January 18, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Was very depressed and couldn't sleep. Started on 37.5mg twice a day then doubled. My mood has improved a little but not my sleep. No interest in sex. Can't eat - have lost two stones. Don't know what to do for the best! Not suicidal anymore at least."

Sally867463 January 16, 2016

"Started at 25mg a day, and eventually got up to 75mg a day. Rather than make me feel more expansive and energized this drug made me feel super lethargic and even more depressed. I also experienced loss of appetite on this drug. 1/10 would punch Pfizer CEO in the face."

seiji (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Awesome! Changed my life for the better completely. Side effects are minimal but my mood has stabilized like never before. I wish I was medically compliant earlier. This stuff has changed my life for the better!"

Aussie Paul (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This is a terrible pill and I wouldn't recommend anybody to start this med unless you are ready for the bad side effects of coming off of this med when it doesn't work . This med cause me to lose about 3 years of memory lose and almost my marriage."

Ellen43 (taken for 10 years or more) January 8, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I tried Effexor about eight ago, for a few weeks. Terrible medication! Racing thoughts, my anxiety level went skyrocketing. Soon when I started using the drug, I started to emerge strong and badly violent obsessive thoughts, albeit I am usually very kind, easy going and non violent person. No, I did not implement these thoughts, thank goodness, because I understood theme as obsessive thoughts, which were caused by the drug. I had no appetite and had to force my self to eat or drink. It was really scary. It took weeks to recovery. I was suggested to try it again last year, I said absolutely no! Never!"

Kristiina (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

"Will give you extreme anxiety, shortness of breath, insomnia etc etc etc.in the short term. I could not continue with it and I am still getting severe side effects. What on earth is this medication?"

Jo 247 January 4, 2016

"I wanted to offer my support and experience with venlafaxine. I have never taken antidepressants. After an accident which had altered my lifestyle and enjoyment of life, I talked to my doctor. I did not want to risk going on pain meds (I know myself well enough that I fear possible addiction), and he suggested an antidepressant. I started at 75 for 2 weeks and increased to 150 after. Initially had weird experience of wanting to smile for no reason. I didn't like this as it almost seemed like mental gymnastics to reconcile this induced sense of excessive happiness and smiling at nothing. This has mostly subsided now after 1 month on 150. The only other big side effect is sexual. Other men may understand where I am coming from. My libido is actually slightly higher (may be because I am no longer depressed), and I have no problem at all with arousal. However actually climaxing is a big effort. When it does finally happen though, it's more intense. Other than that, no side effects. On the major plus side, no more sleeping in and calling in sick to work. I have a renewed zest for life. It's amazing to look forward to waking up and starting my day! I start up conversations with strangers at the coffee shop and and have made new friends. If a negative thought enters my mind, it just seems to dissolve as quickly as it came. I am truly thrilled with this antidepressant and recommend."

Johnathan 06 January 1, 2016

"First AD med that's worked for me. Not too keen on it; since it makes my mind 'wishy-washy', like when you're drinking and can't really focus properly or remember bits and bobs - but all the time and to a lesser extent. That sounds awesome but really isn't in the long-run. For what it's worth, they have worked well for me; made it easier to get on with life and actually start enjoying things - albeit they lost efficacy after the first year since that serotonin 'buzz' that offsets low mood fades and you're halfway back to square one. Another thing of note is that Effexor is notorious for side effects 'sideffexor'. This includes fatigue AND insomnia, headaches and GI disturbances."

verymoist (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Only the brand name version of Effexor works for me. Luckily my medical insurance agreed with my doctor and authorized me to continue getting the brand name version. I have found it to be very effective. An Interesting "good side effect" is it helps with my serious face pain. A win win medicine."

Smudge-1229 December 24, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I was given Effexor after Lexapro stopped helping me. I was on it approx 1 year. But what I know now, that I wish I would have known then.....the withdrawals are horrible!!! I am dizzy all the time, feel like the room is spinning. Pharmacist said this could last up to 3 months. I went off of it very slowly! I have been without it for about a month now. I have never been an addict of any kind, but I feel like one with this. I know that taking more will make these side effects go away, and I think about this pill all day every day. PLEASE research before you start this medication. I would not wish this on my worst enemy!!"

911Dispatcher December 21, 2015

"I have used for over ten years. Works well for depression in higher doses, 150-200mg. The side effects of skipping a dose are terrible, brain zaps, dizziness. I have yet to be able to discontinue, but am on a smaller dose. I also take another med. for night time sleep as Effexor causes me insomnia."

Byrdk December 17, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I would highly recommend this medication. I tried multiple SSRI's like prozac, zoloft, abilify, and welbutrin and this worksd far better than those. For once I actually feel happy, talkative, and good. Do not stop taking this medication cold turkey or withdrawal effects will be bad. You should always taper over an extended period of time."

johncena December 11, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I have been on Zoloft, Lexapro and Effexor. Effexor has been the one that worked for me, the other two were nightmares. I took Effexor during a particular bad time after high school and it saved my life. I had wanted to die back then. Just recently these past couple years I've noticed my depression creeping back and the death of a family member has added some anxiety in there as well. I told my doctor I needed something or I was gonna spiral downward. I am taking the lowest dosage 37.5 MG I believe. It's been two weeks and I've had some expected side effects. Nausea, constipation, trouble sleeping, and a little bit of dizziness. Nothing terrible. Within three or four days I noticed a change. It's worked for me and I'm glad I'm back on it."

acadia05 December 10, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Initially I had a decrease in my depression but after a year or so it seemed to do nothing however I had a lot of outside factors that could have caused that. I didn't realize until after I got off how much it made me sweat. Sometimes to the level of embarrassment. I also had severe dry mouth and constantly had to drink huge amounts of water. Gained a lot of weight. AS soon as I got off it I started losing weight, was never thirsty and stopped sweating. I think compared to the side affects it wasn't worth it to me."

vicki2468 December 5, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I've been on depression and anxiety medicine my whole life. I've dealt with some crappy medications EFFEXOR was by far the worst thing ever. I'm a 20 year old college student so I need to always be motivated. This medicine has caused everything in my life to go down hill. My grades are falling, I'm constantly angry, and feel sick and not wanting to eat. I LOVE TO EAT so this concerned me very much. And today I wasn't able to get my pills refilled in time, because I've been ridiculously lazy. So now I'm going through the flu symptoms that come along with this medication if you don't take it. I feel like balling my eyes out. Because every move I make right now makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. Don't take this medication. It's not worth it."

Moe20 December 1, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I wanted to be happy and better liked all around. Well, depression subsided, was able to apply for jobs, handled my father's death better than I should have (numb.) Landed a job with the post office, thought Effexor was sent from the heavens. Wrong! Gave me severe blurred vision. I first thought that maybe I needed new glasses. So, I told myself I'd make that my first priority when I get my first check from the post office. Well, I was hired for a job that requires driving. Needless to say, I lost my job immediately after I had gotten the job due to unable to see things (curbs, street signs, license plates) clearly. Been off for over a month, and vision remains blurred. Have reapplied at PO, no call backs."

Kcscholvin November 26, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I had been on cipralex (lexapro) for about a year when I noticed I was feeling too tired all the time for my liking. I asked about SNRI's because they tend to give more "energy". I got switched to Effexor and didn't have a good experience at all. I couldn't stop thinking about terrible things, I had bad anxiety, excessive sweating at night and my heart would race too much too often. I had to get off after 9 weeks because it was not working for me at all. It made me really appreciate the escitalopram I was taken before. Clearly different antidepressants work differently for others. I'm just sharing my own experience. Some may do really well on Effexor, unfortunately I didn't."

mcpickle November 24, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on 150mg for a little over a month, and I have lost a total of 16lbs already. Which I could use to loose some weight. But I do feel sometimes that I am very fatigued and my memory is lacking."

Reggie75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2015