Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Review by VIRIDIANA: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I BEEN TAKING EFFEXOR FOR 4weeks FINALLY I FEEL GOOD IT'S A MIRACLE I WAS SUFFERING REAL BAD DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY AND THOUGHTS OF GIVING UP ON LIFE. EFFEXOR WORKS, THIS IS THE BEST I FELT SINCE I WAS 23 NOW I'M 30 AND YES I FEEL VERY HAPPY TO KNOW I DIDN'T GIVE UP AND FINALLY FOUND A MIRACLE PILL AND IT'S ONLY BEEN A MONTH THANKS EFFEXOR SAVED MY LIFE THANK YOU.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 11, 2014 10:53 AM
Review by Denise007: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I'm 48 and in menopause. I've suffered bouts of little depression through life but since menopause, it hit me like a brick. I had had a couple of panic attacks throughout the years and I couldn't shake this gradual depression that was coming over me. I've always been able to talk myself through it but this time, I just couldn't. My doctor prescribed EFFEXOR. I took it 2 days. On the third day, I was driving to work and I SUDDENLY felt like I couldn't breath. I was shaking, my heart was racing and I really thought I was going to die. I pulled over thinking I was having a heart attack. I called 911, throwing up on the side of a freeway. By the time the ambulance came, my heart rate had skyrocketed! Worst experience of my life.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 29, 2014 3:24 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): People either love Effexor or hate it. I am on the side of adoration. I am 18 years old and have been taking Effexor for 4 years and the change I experienced was amazing. I have a long family history of depression and a generalized anxiety disorder, and it doesn't help when you're trying to go through puberty and are constantly being told that everybody your age is going through the same thing. The side effects are not pleasant, I used to get headaches, my blood pressure increased (but with exercise it can be managed), and get lightheaded and faint more often. Even with these, I still am happy and am grateful for Effexor.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 26, 2014 8:31 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I am a 49 year old female who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I am taking Risperidone 2 mg a day with 75 mg of Effexor. I was severely depressed and suicidal everyday. Lexapro made me extremely anxious and nervous. I think 75 mg of Effexor is helping a lot. I am now not as depressed or suicidal. I am now regaining my energy and interest back. For everyone who struggle with depression/bipolar out there: don't give up HOPE. Things will get better and you will recover. I believe that. Hang in there, seek help and know that I am rooting for your quick recovery. Best wishes to all of you.

February 16, 2014 8:01 AM
Review by kayleighchey (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have an unspecified mood disorder. It helps me not have so many highs and lows. I can actually think before I rage out of control so I have much more self control but I still have panic attacks and in one week I've lost 4 pounds, (I'm an emotional eater).

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 13, 2014 2:15 PM
Review by Helpless2014: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I had a panic attack and my doctor diagnosed me with GAD ( General Anxiety Disorder), and depression, so he put me on buspirone 10mg twice a day with Xanax twice a day too and worked well, then stopped buspirone and put me on Effexor 75 mg and Wellbutrin 300. Effexor was ok for 2 months then didn't work, then placed me on Ecitalopram 10mg/ day, worked for 3 days then made me very angry, so he stopped that too, and don't know what is next!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 11, 2014 3:07 AM
Review by sfu (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I'm a 27 yr old female with ADD, generalized anxiety (including morbid thoughts, OCD behaviors, hypochondria and depression). Effexor has basically fixed me. I used to be irritable, negative, overwhelmed and chronically fatigued to a disabling capacity and now I'm evened out and confident, positive, patient and kinder. My head feels clearer than it ever has. The only issue is that this medication causes some sweating and raises my blood pressure so I've had to have that stabilized with blood pressure medication.

February 8, 2014 4:50 PM
Review by Maximus1959 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I have taken a lot of depression medicines over the year's but this one has worked the best for me. I take 250mg a day and the side effect's have been very minimum.

February 4, 2014 4:47 AM
Review by beth101: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Effexor was a mixed bag for me - it was very numbing, and the side effects (which lingered for years after I stopped taking it) were awful. I attempted suicide a few weeks after starting it, because I was still depressed but was more numbed to the guilt I would usually feel. Be careful of this, make sure someone is aware if you feel at risk. It took a few months, but I began to feel positive things again, but eventually I was stuck in a zombie state where the side effects outweighed the good. I tried it on a few occasions with the same result: taking myself off them because I wanted to feel again. The best advice I can give is to see a psychiatrist, not a GP. There is a range of medicines, make sure you get the one that is tailored to YOU.

February 3, 2014 7:43 PM
Review by betterthangood: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Effexor XR with (Abilify) for Bi-Polar, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for over 6 years. From Lamictal to Seroquel (and all meds mentioned in reviews), by far this is the best medicine I have used with minimal side effects for me. 225mg. With 20mg of Abilify, for me, a 57 year old woman, it allows a full, rich life from a suicidal, black hole. Added benefit (as a woman) is it staves off menopause effects of hot flashes, etc. Warning: heed advice from me please, and others, that state about effects of missed dosage or sudden suspension. This is dangerous; withdrawal is significant. Lastly, generic does not work the same as name brand for me. This is a very expensive medicine.

February 1, 2014 9:36 PM
Review by 1dayaTime (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Been taking venlafaxine XR for 15 years and all in all found it did what it was intended for, which was to suppress my depression and assist me in coping with life. My dosage amount fluctuated through the years, from 75mg up to 225mg(I think) and I had very little trouble with it, except when I forgot to refill it. I will say that the side effects of stopping Effexor are horrific and a contributor to why I stayed on it for so long. I'm off it now and I don't know if I'll ever get back on it again because I CANNOT go through the withdrawal feeling again, at least not with my sanity intact.

January 27, 2014 5:25 PM
Review by Courto (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Was taking 150mg of Effexor XR for an eating disorder and depression, did not help me. Had terrible night sweats, would wake up in the middle of the night with wet clothes and I have put on a lot of weight and couldn't lose weight, I've been totally off Effexor XR for around a week or so and I will never go back on.

January 6, 2014 3:18 AM
Review by Senna (taken for 10 years or more):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been on Effexor XR, the brand name one. It is the best medicine for me. I can't be without it. I also use progesterone cream along with it for the weeks that my PMS is bad.

January 4, 2014 7:20 PM
Review by bretly (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Tried several antidepressants before going on Effexor XR and have received excellent results with this medication.

January 1, 2014 11:37 PM
Review by Natasha23 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I've been on many anti-depressants. I experienced a few side effects from this one. The major one I experienced was the headaches. However within less than 1 week the side effects were gone. I also experienced night sweats in the first few weeks. This has stopped me from crying a lot which is good.

December 26, 2013 11:44 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): As long as I am on 225 mg I do just fine.

December 23, 2013 10:22 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I was taken off Lexapro and put on this. It's made me extremely angry. I can't do my school work or anything. I want off this NOW.

December 10, 2013 4:48 PM
Review by Johnny KO (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I Began taking Effexor XR 150 to treat anxiety /Depression. The medication gave very few adverse reactions initially. I did notice benefits until the end of my second month. There was a mistake with supply and I had to go 2 days without. Within 2 days I was in Full on withdrawals. It Began with insomnia, liveable. Then came nausea, muscle cramps, hot \Cold sweats, hives, Swollen tongue, Irritability, Depression, HALLUCINATIONS... Those were the most significant ones. By the second day off my withdrawals were bad.

December 10, 2013 8:49 AM
Review by Tattie Soup (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I've been on this medication only one week but am cautiously very optimistic. Prior to this I was on citalopram but still feeling very low and sleeping poorly, feeling like I needed to be in bed 12-16 hours a day. Now I am waking naturally after only 8 hours sleep and finding it much easier to concentrate at work. I can hardly believe it is working so quickly but I feel so much better. I've had no side effects.

December 9, 2013 9:48 AM
Review by Sbrooks88: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I have been on this med for only 4 days after being on multiple other meds for general anxiety disorder for several years now. And I can already feel the difference in myself. Not exactly where I want to be yet but definitely positive results so far. It does make my pupils seriously dilated and at night when it's dark my vision seems like I'm on a merry go round if I moves my eyes to quickly. Other than that I feel much better than just a few days ago! Hopefully this med will work for me. I hate switching meds cause of the time I have to wait to start a new one. Sends me in a downward spiral of panic attacks and irritability. So far since being on Effexor EX I've not had even one episode!!!!!! And I was having them every single day!

November 7, 2013 3:52 PM
Review by JenniK (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

venlafaxine: Around the age of 10 I developed severe and debilitating anxiety. I could not even move out of bed at times without having a break down. I tried coping for a while, but ended up on anti-depressants. I have a lot of stomach problems and any anti-depressant in a pill form eventually caused vomiting right after taking them. My doctor suggested Effexor because it was a capsule. It was great on my stomach as long as I ate. I have slowly gotten better with my anxiety, but am not perfect. I am not sure if it is the medication itself or what though. I think the worst thing about the medication though is the terrible withdrawal symptoms. I get anxious, sick, nausea, dizzy, hot flashes and worst of all is 'brain zaps' and my eyes jumping.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 28, 2013 6:02 AM
Review by EmotionallyAlive: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): At 56 years old and being raised to "put on a happy face", I can finally say I feel happy and emotionally alive. Depression had consumed me for 35+ years. I was a hollow shell. Talk therapy did nothing. Once the Dr. discovered the brain had damage to the neurotransmitter/receptors and started me on slowly increasing doses of Effexor XR the depression cleared. I now take 150mg daily. There has been no negative side effects. It's been 3 years now. People who know me well are extremely supportive; those who don't know my "history" would be surprised learning I take an antidepressant. Only rated as a 9 because long term/life long use is unknown still.

October 27, 2013 2:02 AM
Review by Mary Jane Alice: User Rating:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I entered the beginning stages of menopause and my mood changed dramatically. I was getting very concerned as I had never felt so sad and hopeless. I could not stop crying and things that normally I would not let bother me were becoming huge issues. I did not recognize myself. I am known as glass half full kind of person so the change was dramatic. I was put on 35mg of Effexor and wow - what a difference. Surprise, surprise my hot flashes stopped, ( I have since read it helps with that) mood back to normal and strangely my joints don't hurt so much and I have more energy. The few negatives are I yawn a lot and though I still enjoy sex I can not have an orgasm. I consider both minor due to feeling so much better.

October 24, 2013 5:40 PM
Review by GinaGee: User Rating:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I have been on Venlafaxine XR for 8 years (first effexor xr then generic w/o problems). started at 150, then plateaued after about a year, went up to 225 and plateaued again. I have been on 300mg dose for over 5 years. I like this rx a lot. I haven't tried other antidepressants, I was started on this because it worked for other family members. I know it's a high dose n some people are shocked, but I find this offensive and more or less stigma about mental illness and meds. I started Adderall about 4 years ago and that combination has been incredible for my depression (and ADHD). My sex drive recovered 3 months into VFX. The only compliant is when I miss a dose, in which case I have a LOT of complaints: migraines, dizzy, tremor, hypersomnia

October 20, 2013 10:01 PM
Review by Scotty-to-hotty (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

venlafaxine: Started taking venlafaxine 75mg XR dose 4 days ago, starting on second day I was very energetic, talkative, and had dilated pupils. I think this means I am manic. I like being this way rather than being depressed and lying in bed all day. Its kind of fun to feel happy again. I have had a couple of bad headaches since I started. Have to see if they continue.

October 11, 2013 3:25 AM