Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Review by KellyBird57 (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor (venlafaxine): Would have been good for just depression, but I am suffering from anxiety too, and that seemed to get worse. So overall, didn't help. Might be good for just depression though.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 5:21 PM

Review by reemus:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I started taking Effexor 3 weeks ago after finding no success with Wellbutrin or Zoloft. It causes some initial bad side effects (nausea, dizziness, tiredness) but I cant emphasize enough how wonderful I feel now! I thought I would never find a solution. Most effective medication I've encountered this far!

January 25, 2015 3:43 PM

Review by lavendarles:

Effexor (venlafaxine): This stopped my depression the second day! It felt like a hole in my heart mended! Literally! I seem to be able to skip days here and there in the spring and summertime with no effects, but never have plans to wean off. It has been too great a miracle prescription for me! Seven years!

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 5:38 PM

Review by Lane123456:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I am a 21 year old female. I was on Prozac for ten years (40 mg at the end) before switching to Effexor (37.5 mg at first, 262.5 mg now) because I was having issues with anxiety. I was ok for a while then I became extremely depressed and suicidal. My doctor increased my dose and although it did take away the misery and suicidal thoughts, I wouldn't describe myself as happy. I feel constantly tired, sleeping up to 16 hours a day. I can't work and social situations exhaust me. It took me a while to realize Effexor might be responsible for some of these symptoms. I am talking to a psychiatrist about changing my medication but I'm very worried about the infamous withdrawl from Effexor.

December 7, 2014 12:52 AM

Review by Brandy B (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): This medicine literally saved my life. I toook 75mg and the first day I took it, I noticed a difference in my mood. I woke up in the morning and actually felt like getting out of bed. I smiled and enjoyed being around people and was in a pleasant mood. I was getting my life back! The only side effect I noticed was that I was pretty nauseous the first week and lost my appetite. But, it wasn't bad at all! I stopped taking the medicine suddenly when I found out I was pregnant and the only side effect I noticed when I stopped was being dizzy for about a week. But that could've been because I was pregnant too. Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage, and started taking Effexor again. Looking forward to being happy again.

December 5, 2014 7:38 PM

Review by stoked:

Effexor (venlafaxine): Been taking this for years, helps me out a lot.

December 5, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by getmebettersoon:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Its early days but I have over the last 12 months tried mirtazapine and citalpram. I'm currently on a low dose but I suspect my GP will want to up my dose.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

It gave me my life back. I once again live life

November 2, 2014 7:30 AM

Review by missykfish (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine): I have taken medications for 10 years, and they have, basically, helped me cope with depression. Effexor is outstanding. I take it in the morning, and it helps all day.

October 25, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by KATYJAMES:

I started taking Venlafexine 75 mg daily 5 weeks ago for Major Depressive Disorder. I was first tried on Prozac 40 mg and it did not help at all. For several months I was feeling constantly exhausted, no energy, no motivation, crying, and missing a lot of work. On the 2nd week of Venlafexine I noticed I wasn't feeling so exhausted and starting to get my energy back. I am now on week 5 and feeling like myself again. I'm able to get through work and come home and take care of things around the house. Where before I was leaving work early and going straight to bed. I am very glad my doctor started me on this medication. Before the Prozac I had never been on any medication before. I have had no side effects or weight gain.

October 24, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by The cardiac nurse:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I started this medicine in nursing school. Very much so needed. I started seeing myself with less worry, and a more of a "whatever" type of mentality. I figured that worked for me. However, my biggest problem has been the weight gain. Before I knew it I gained atleast 25 lbs. I'm a very active person and I do what wait I eat, especially since I am a cardiac nurse. Also make sure you NEVER miss a day of the medication. My side effects would be vertigo and shooting nerve pains in my head. I just upped my dosage to 150mg hoping it will increase my energy and help with weight loss. I was really bad off emotionally before so besides everything above, I have my life back.

October 23, 2014 11:30 PM

Review by nynyer (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine): Worked quite well for sometime. Had side effects which were attributed to another medicine I was on at the time. Through trial and error it was discovered the other medicine was not at fault. I was having kidney problems along with frequent edema in my legs and feet. Also constant mucus and tightness in throat. Helped with depression but side effects became serious. Also weight gain. Dr tapered me off this medicine.

October 19, 2014 8:46 AM

Review by j1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor (venlafaxine): Celexa stopped working and I was put on Effexor. My panic attacks are worse then they have ever been, my depression is totally off the charts and I physically shake all the time. The irritability is by far the worst part for me. I'm forever angry now on this medication. My friends and family have noticed a big difference in my personality. Definitely getting of of this medication!

October 13, 2014 9:16 AM

Review by Suecmt:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been taking the generic, Venlafaxine for about 6 years. My doctor settled on 75 mg once daily, as increasing the dosage makes my hands tremble. It is not nearly as effective as it once was. Withdrawals for this medication are hellish. I ran out of pills on a few occasions and felt like I was losing mind. I really would like to slowly taper off and eventually be free of this medicine.

October 1, 2014 3:04 AM

Review by Cancer Crab:

Effexor (venlafaxine): Switched from Paxil 20mg to Effexor 75mg. On Paxil I just couldn't lose weight and my insurance wanted me to try an SRNI before they would pay for the newer meds like Brintellix. At first I noticed a decrease in anxiety THEN I went to work!! My job is very stressful and I have to be SPOT on!! First I noticed anxiety returning then that I was clumsy..dropping things! I then started noticing numbness and tingling in my fingers and then waking up with numb arms which would not wake up for up to 7hrs!!! I did some research and noticed that numbness/tingling of the extremities is a side effect for 20% of people taking Effexor. The numbness scared me to death! I immediately went to my Shrink and got off this damn drug! I'm going to Lexapro! Ugh!

September 23, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by Kayde:

Effexor (venlafaxine): Was so excited to try Effexor XL and did for the past 6 years. Well, I didn't realize that it made me anhedonia, or without feeling towards a lot of things. I just went on my merry way, but would do nothing....sat and watched TV, couldn't get anything done. Everything was just Great!.....that is what I thought....then I started gaining weight......gradually, but I mean 60-70# over the past 6 years or so.....but just kept on eating. Then I thought I have to do something about this. I gradually took myself off, but WOW the side effects of the withdrawl was unbelievable. My son told me never to do that again...and I told him see.....this medication has so changed me.....and I will never take that again....!Trying to lose this weight now

September 23, 2014 3:00 PM

Review by supers:

More effective than SSRIs. Needed experimentation over a long period for maintenance dosage. Any modifications to dosage were done in small amounts, as I experienced considerable side effects. We are all different and, this is key to interpreting personal experiences!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 5:48 AM

Review by Fuckhead:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Effective but bad side effects of nausea.

August 5, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by King Bean (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine): Great experience on Effexor. Was very anxious; maybe a little depression. Panic attacks, etc. Effexor gave me a great bump within 3 days at each dose. Ultimately, went up to 225mg (2 years). I was a new person; no worries, loving life. Went down to 150mg (2 years), and then down to 75mg (2 years). No problems. After 7 years, went off. Then I started to feel very badly again, went back on to now avail. But the 7 years I was on it, I felt tremendous. Great med for me.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 4, 2014 2:29 PM

Review by Tepper:

Effexor (venlafaxine): As with all antidepressants, I tend to peak after about 5 years and my medication begins to lose its efficacy. This is the third time I have had Effexor prescribed, and each time the results have been better than with any other antidepressant. I actually enjoy parts of my life and sleep like a baby, which is a true blessing, because I have Fibromyalgia and the accompanying insomnia so common with Fibromyalgia. Several years ago my brother-in-law was having trouble with his depression medications so I told him to ask his doctor about Effexor. He has gone from suicidal to a fairly happy fellow. This medicine has literally been a life saver in our family.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 3:08 PM

Effexor (venlafaxine): I took Effexor for three years due to depression. I loved the fact that I was no longer depressed but I was tired all the time. I could sleep for 10 hours get up and two hours later I was ready to sleep again. If I missed taking a dose I would get a horrible headache. The only reason I stopped taking Effexor was due to being tired all the time. Getting off of the medication was awful. I have never been so sick in my life. If you are going to take this medicine the rest of your life I highly recommend it. It did wonders for my depression.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2014 10:35 PM

Review by o.q.m (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 17 years old and also have prescribed Adderall for ADHD and I am on hormone blockers for gender dysphoria. I have been on venlafaxine for 4 days and have had more than 7 serious anxiety and dysphoria attacks. I have tried Prozac and Zoloft in the past and those have had a similar effect, but nothing nearly as bad as this.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by MawMaw10:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been on Effexor XR 150 mg for 20 years it certainly has help with my suicidal thoughts and panic attacks. I also take 2 x 1mg of Xanax. I started seeing a new primary care doctor yesterday who thinks I should be taken off both since I have been on it for so long but I have read some awful things about the withdrawal problems and it makes me scared.

July 11, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by Moochymama (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Day 4 of venlafaxine, 37.5mg at 6.30 am and 6.30pm. I have only just realised the importance of taking it at the same time if you are doing split doses. Previously I was taking as I woke up (5am) and before bed (10pm). Not good- headaches turned into full blown migraine. First dose I was sick immediately and was sweating, trembling slightly. I felt I could feel the chemicals literally swooshing around my brain and body. It was very strange. I calmed myself down, told myself to go with it. The rest of the day-fine. Day two, realized I had to EAT with the venlafaxine to ensure I wasn't sick. I've never been a big eater, but half a banana with a venlafaxine plus milk in between bites was enough to line my stomach. Much better this time.

June 1, 2014 3:21 PM

Review by Lawrence Jones (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor (venlafaxine): I am a physically healthy (runner) 25 year old male. I have never been mentally healthy, so I have tried antidepressants. I tried Prozac and Wellbutrin. Prozac didn't help or hurt ,but it gave me dangerous mood swings. I was prescribed Effexor 2.5 months ago. It seemed a perfect fit for me. I was wrong. I was on 75 mg each day. It actually made me sadder. I had no weight or sexual side-effects but had vertigo. The worst was CRIPPLING insomnia while taking it, and now I am close to 0 mg, but I still get night sweats and "brain zaps". As I write this, I've had 13 hours of sleep in the past 5 days.

June 1, 2014 11:07 AM