User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

"my gp started me on Venlafaxine yesterday to help with depression and the change,a hour after taking them i was feeling very sick couldn,t stomach food or fluids, thought keep it up as she told me they did come with some side effects which would get better,took another one last night and was so ill i couldn,t stand ,being sick sweating shaking thought i was going to pass out. Did get some sleep hopeing to feel better this morning,took another one and felt so spaced out dry mouth shaking ,sick, so booked in to see gp again to make sure i should be feeling like this, only to find out she had put me on the wrong dose should have been on 37.5mg was put on 150mg, now on right dose hope this will be better"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Effexor has been absolutely brilliant for me. I was on and off Lexapro for years, it made the anxiety less but I felt blunted and almost more depressed as there was no meaning in my life. I have hardly any side effects with Effexor (75mg). nausea the first couple weeks. Excess sweat for about 6 months. Orgasms slightly less intense, but still very enjoyable and probably easier to reach as I'm more relaxed. I find I have less control over sugar/carb cravings and am a bit lower energy and have thus gained some weight - maybe 5 kilos. All in all, I was very reluctant to try this, but it has changed my life for the better. Sometimes worry about withdrawal and safety in pregnancy - but I think Effexor saved my life, so that's the main thing!"

bluejuice (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "It should be ILLEGAL to prescribe this drug. I have tried most antidepressents and never have i experienced such atrocious side effects from withdrawing. I have never written a review on anything but i was compelled to share the experience. again, it should be illegal to prescribe effexor xl."

poppy271 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Sadly only lasted 5 days on Effexor XR. The side effects from the 75mg dose was unlike anything I have experienced before. Within 10 hours of the first dose I had severe anxiety - something I had never experienced before. Within hours of second dose the extreme nausea came on. By day 3 I was pratically bed-ridden in cold sweats and feeling completely "out of it" . I persevered hoping the effects would begin to subside but by the 5th day I had severe nausea, couldn't get out of bed from feeling so sick, horrible tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and felt spaced out to the point that I began to wonder if I would ever feel "normal" again. Advised by GP to cease immediately on hearing my side effects."

Simesy (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was prescribed effexor for anxiety which interfered with sleeping - worry about getting to sleep meant that I wouldn't sleep which made me feel exhausted, depressed and useless. I've also tried Zoloft and Luvox which didn't do anything. CBT and mindfulness were also pretty useless - just made me slightly more obsessive about my weird problems with getting to sleep. Effexor has been amazing. Apart from some insomnia and lightheadedness during the first week I don't have any side effects. I don't have the same obsessive and weird anxious thoughts over getting to sleep or other minor things which preoccupied me and made me feel dreadful. I sleep well and my head feels so clear."

StephanieKandS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "It changed my life. 48 years of just dealing with anxiety and depression not wanting to be on medication. With the onset of pre-menopause the depression was unbearable and more feelings of hopelessness. My doctor prescribed 75 mg and I feel alive again. The torment of paranoia, anxiety and the depression are gone."

BAC67 April 19, 2016

"I was so happy to find a site that allowed me to understand the "brain zaps", headaches, nausea and light sensativity I was getting. I thought it was some kind of migraine or a brain tumor. I have been on 175 MG for some years and my anger and depression are improved greatly but like some others if I am even a few hours late with my pill the side effects start . I know I need to wean off but am scared to death of the withdrawal."

babsbo April 18, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I just wanted to die while going through withdrawal, while tapering off very gradually and for six months afterwards. Longer term effects are too painful to write about right now. Avoid."

Jane A April 17, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I was angry all the time and miserable, the doctor prescribed effexor 75's. The first few days I felt wonderful, better than I'd felt for years. After that it was the same old, same old but I wasn't angry. anymore. I started getting really bad sweats, I would be just sitting there and sweat would start rolling down my face. I also started grinding my teeth and picking at sores on my arms and back. I went back to the doctor, she upped the medication to 150. The sweating has stopped, I am working on the teeth grinding and the picking. I was hoping to feel as good as I did when I first started taking the pills but I don't. Insurance only covers price of generic, pharmacist has me on program that has Effexor makers pay part too"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I had a lot of side effects on Effexor 37mg- dry mouth, constipation, increased heart rate and blood pressure, ringing in ears, nausea, shakiness, more anxiety and so on. I don't remember having all these with Lexapro or Zoloft a few years ago. At least not to the same degree as Effexor and if there was any side effects they went away after a few weeks. I switched back to Zoloft 25mg after 3 weeks and 3 days in I already feel better - no more feeling wired or jittery. Effexor is not the med for me. It did help the depression, but the crazy side effects aren't worth it to me. I do have a friend that's been on it awhile and it work great for her."

mighty1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I've been on effexor for over 10 years now,it was good at first before I took it I couldn't control my anger,but I've had several bad years separation domestic violence and my children and I were homeless things with those matters are starting to get a little better now,but I'm finding I'm feeling so sad and down thoughts of suicide and I'm good sometimes and other times I cry myself to sleep I really don't know if its working anymore I'm currently on 75 mg"

Heavan and hell April 14, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was put on effexor for severe depression at 75mg. This got raised every time it stopped working until I reached 225mg. I was on it for about 3 years. To be fair it worked really well the first 2 years. BUT, after the second year I went flat, felt No emotion at all, didn't care about anyone or anything. It was worse than the depression that I was originally treated for! Then came the time to get off of it. This was like hell! I have had to detox from opiates in the past and that was a piece of cake compared to this. It took me over a year to get off of it and ended up taking tiny beads until I was well enough to stop. If you can avoid this medicine do it!!"

Cricketk April 10, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Went on Effexor Aug 2015 through Oct 2015, improved depression, however, did not really feel any joy either. Effexor helped with diet, appetite declined, which I was happy with, as it allowed me to lose weight. Effexor/Venlafaxine did cause me to get angry, and acquire a bad temper on occasion. The primary problem I had with effexor/venlafaxine though was that it caused terrible constipation. No matter how good my diet was, it didn't matter. I ate steamed vegetables and fruit, with occasional lean meats, cut out junk food. I took psyllium every day, added Miralax, and drank plenty of fluids. I had no choice but to come off the Venlafaxine, bowel movements came back about 5-6 days later. I did have minor withdrawal with dizziness."

rb1979 April 9, 2016

"The only words to describe this drug is horrible. A drug that is so highly addictive and near impossible to come off obviously has been released into the market when it shouldn't have been. The withdrawals are Inhumane literally and this drug SHOULD be banned based on the withdrawals alone."

Jojocull38 April 7, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I took this medicine about 6 years ago for depression and PTSD . This is a horrible medication, doctor I saw told me it was a magic drug for depression. Magic as in the sense it is god awful and turned me into a monster. I went from being depressed to being super depressed. I think I suffered from all of the side effects listed, and now that I had a genetic test to find out why medications didn't work on me , I know why. Being a poor metabolizer made it so the medications build up in my system and I get the horrible side effects, and this one was no different. The withdrawal from this was god awful almost unbearable, from the brain zaps, to the uncontrolled crying, all the way to a 1 day hospital stay. Stay away"

Ptsddude (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

"It’s now six months since my psychiatrist switched me to 150mg daily of this drug from 40mg Escitalopram, which had worked for me but quite suddenly ceased to be effective - so much so that I became intent on suicide. Instantly, I became a zombie – constantly exhausted, irritable, unable to concentrate, loss of sexual function and basically subsisting from day to day. Whilst I now felt too lethargic to even contemplate suicide, my doctor thought these side-effects were unusual and so we tried halving the dosage, but 75mg proved inadequate and just made me feel wired. Since adjusting the dosage to 112.5mg, however, I feel so much better and all of the initial side-effects have since abated, so for me, getting the dosage right was crucial."

Whatabuzz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 2, 2016

"I only took this med, for 2 weeks. The first days, I felt great! I felt like this med, was going to work for me. Soon after, I started to feel; tired, sleepy, restless, I would get weird dreams and I started to feel mad. For the first time, I had a thought about suicide!!!! I know I have problems, but I love life...and I knew thinking about that was simply not me! Moreover, on Thursday- friday night I was out of town and missed the med. The downfall for not taking them has horrible! I felt dizzy, and nauseous.I literally felt like I was going to pass out! I felt drugged or drunk! And I started to throw up like never before. I've never experienced nothing like this ever, sadly I'm still trying to get better 4 days later. I now take Citalopra"

Anonymous March 30, 2016

"Started with feeling nauseated, followed by severe vomiting and diarrhea."

MrsMLT (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"It's good Friday 2016. I got up today at 1pm. I went to bed at 11pm last night. My wife claims the dose isn't helping. it sure is helping me sleep, I have not added or changed any other meds."

Wecj March 25, 2016

"When the medicine I was on seemed to "poop out", I was put on Effexor XR. I researched this drug at length, and even though I was reluctant, I decided to give it a try. I took this med for 2 days and felt so spaced out and tired that I was not willing to keep going with this one. The discontinuation of it in itself is ridiculous. After only 2 days of taking this, within 24 hours I developed a migraine, sweating, and complete lethargy. 2 days of pills equaled a week of hell. I am no stranger to meds, and have never written a review on one in my life, but I felt compelled to say that in my opinion, this stuff is garbage. Really, really, do your research and talk at length with your primary care doc about this one. Trust your gut."

Sophway (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have been on Effexor for about 6-7 years now. I started taking 75mg which needed to be increased to 4x 75mg per day as I was in complete terror. This drug saved my life. I would not be here if not for this drug. I tried Amitryptyline, citalopram, and propranolol for many years previously but they did not give me the relief I needed. 1st 2 weeks of taking this drug while off work, I saw the room flip upside down a few times making me fall down in the shower etc. It was a really scary time but once in my system I got great relief almost immediately. My side effects now are just sweating and tiredness but I am on 2 x75mg/day & feel really content. I got down to 75 mg/ day but felt anxious so upped to 2/day. Great drug if it suits you!!!!"

Nic (52) (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 13, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "if you want to try this drug, make sure you're prepared to either stay on it forever or be able to take at least 1 month off from your life to try to get this out of your system. I've been on other psychiatric drugs and I'm all for them. They really help get you through rough episodes, therefore I'm not a scathing anti drug, crunchy all natural person. However, I can say this is one nasty, nasty drug. I feel like I've been dumping poison in my system for the last 2 years. 3 weeks tapering VERY slowly and the room still spins, I can't move my eyes without intense brain zaps, and basically feel like a raging lunatic. If you've tried many other drugs and they haven't worked and this is a last resort then I say go for it, but with caution."

Button28 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2016

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "1/10 would not take again. Felt dizzy nauseous and tired."

Marbling March 10, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I have tried nearly all anti depressant/anxiety medication and Venlafaxine has been one of the best for me. My mood is more balanced, my sleep is improved and I am more motivated than before starting the medication. The side effect of nausea lasts a short while after taking a dose ( 37.5mg 2 x daily for me) but the overall positive effects are worth while. I found that Venlafaxine has a quicker effect than other SNRI's with fewer side effects."

Anna Freud March 3, 2016

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I had a major breakdown and was hospitalized. My psychiatrist put me on effexor. I took it before bed and by 2 am I was running fever and felt like I had the flu. It was by far the worst medicine I have ever tried. EVER. I woul never take this again. I felt horrible all day the next day and wouldn't get out of bed. It was a nightmare."

calliekens March 2, 2016