Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Review by Nicolemont (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Great as long as I don't forget to take it

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 9:07 PM

Review by SleepinBeauty:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I've only been on this medication for about 2 weeks. That said, I've slept almost every day since starting it. I know sleepiness is a common side effect but this is excessive. Almost no energy throughout the day. Nonstop yawning. My depression is still there, anxiety has been better. I just feel very drained and apathetic. I'll stick with it for a while longer because I know it will take a while for the full affect to kick in. hoping for good results!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2015 5:19 PM

Review by pies10:

Weight gain ++, excessive sweating. Moods great. Win some, losing some

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2015 9:41 AM

Review by pandabear83:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I take this medication at night before bed and i wake up in a great mood. I feel more alert and i am able to control my emotions better..

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 5:42 PM

Effexor (venlafaxine): Total life saver. Took away the pain of existence been on it for 7 years, used to binge drink a lot but it interfered. Don't drink anymore, no intention to stop Effexor.

April 2, 2015 10:12 PM

Review by College Student (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been venlafaxine for the last two months. All I can say is: wow. This medicine completely gave me my life back. The first week or two I did experience a few common symptoms, noticeably the insomnia. Also in the first week I felt a bit "off," like everything was a bit surreal. However, two months into this medicine and I feel fantastic. Today I was blissfully happy for the first day since I can remember. As cheesy as it sounds, this medicine has definitely given me a new lease on life.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2015 8:22 AM

Review by LGG:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I had been on Zoloft (50mg/day) for depression for 8 years. Following a major chronic health condition, a medical specialist was concerned the Zoloft was no longer effective. Increasing to 100md/day was disastrous - head spins, dry dry mouth, vertigo - so a psychiatrist recommended Effexor. Initial 75mg/day then 150mg/day after a fortnight. Initially I was unable to orgasm but this lasted only about a month (same when I started Zoloft). Main concern is weird dreams most nights. The only thing I can tie this to is the Effexor. Have been researching online and it seems I'm not the only one. What a relief to discover - I was becoming quite concerned (and irritated). But hey, I feel soooo much better that I can live with it. I'm smiling again.

March 28, 2015 2:17 PM

Review by ..... (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I've taken this medication for about 5 years now after having no success with other antidepressants. I take 75 mg everyday. On the rare occasion that I run out of pills or miss a dosage, the side effects are incredibly hellish. The nausea and dizziness are hindering and I have found nothing that can help these side effects.

March 17, 2015 2:04 PM

Review by Mikkiluv:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I think maybe the 19 year old should have had something like Clonazepam prescribed as well. I've been taking 150 mg of "V" in the PM for awhile now and at first in the morning I feel really shaky all over and wonder if I made a mistake, then I take 0.5 mg, the lowest dose of Clonazepam and I level off and stay that way the rest of the day.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2015 5:09 PM

Effexor (venlafaxine): I am taking 35 mg and it works great. I have strange dreams but that's about it for side effects.It doesn't interfere with sexual health like a lot of anti-depressants do.I can see staying on it for as long as I need to.I am glad that I tried, also lessened fibromyalgia outbreaks.

March 5, 2015 6:15 AM

Review by KellyBird57 (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor (venlafaxine): Would have been good for just depression, but I am suffering from anxiety too, and that seemed to get worse. So overall, didn't help. Might be good for just depression though.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 5:21 PM

Review by reemus:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I started taking Effexor 3 weeks ago after finding no success with Wellbutrin or Zoloft. It causes some initial bad side effects (nausea, dizziness, tiredness) but I cant emphasize enough how wonderful I feel now! I thought I would never find a solution. Most effective medication I've encountered this far!

January 25, 2015 3:43 PM

Review by lavendarles:

Effexor (venlafaxine): This stopped my depression the second day! It felt like a hole in my heart mended! Literally! I seem to be able to skip days here and there in the spring and summertime with no effects, but never have plans to wean off. It has been too great a miracle prescription for me! Seven years!

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 5:38 PM

Review by Lane123456:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I am a 21 year old female. I was on Prozac for ten years (40 mg at the end) before switching to Effexor (37.5 mg at first, 262.5 mg now) because I was having issues with anxiety. I was ok for a while then I became extremely depressed and suicidal. My doctor increased my dose and although it did take away the misery and suicidal thoughts, I wouldn't describe myself as happy. I feel constantly tired, sleeping up to 16 hours a day. I can't work and social situations exhaust me. It took me a while to realize Effexor might be responsible for some of these symptoms. I am talking to a psychiatrist about changing my medication but I'm very worried about the infamous withdrawl from Effexor.

December 7, 2014 12:52 AM

Review by Brandy B (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): This medicine literally saved my life. I toook 75mg and the first day I took it, I noticed a difference in my mood. I woke up in the morning and actually felt like getting out of bed. I smiled and enjoyed being around people and was in a pleasant mood. I was getting my life back! The only side effect I noticed was that I was pretty nauseous the first week and lost my appetite. But, it wasn't bad at all! I stopped taking the medicine suddenly when I found out I was pregnant and the only side effect I noticed when I stopped was being dizzy for about a week. But that could've been because I was pregnant too. Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage, and started taking Effexor again. Looking forward to being happy again.

December 5, 2014 7:38 PM

Review by stoked:

Effexor (venlafaxine): Been taking this for years, helps me out a lot.

December 5, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by getmebettersoon:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Its early days but I have over the last 12 months tried mirtazapine and citalpram. I'm currently on a low dose but I suspect my GP will want to up my dose.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

It gave me my life back. I once again live life

November 2, 2014 7:30 AM

Review by missykfish (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine): I have taken medications for 10 years, and they have, basically, helped me cope with depression. Effexor is outstanding. I take it in the morning, and it helps all day.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by KATYJAMES:

I started taking Venlafexine 75 mg daily 5 weeks ago for Major Depressive Disorder. I was first tried on Prozac 40 mg and it did not help at all. For several months I was feeling constantly exhausted, no energy, no motivation, crying, and missing a lot of work. On the 2nd week of Venlafexine I noticed I wasn't feeling so exhausted and starting to get my energy back. I am now on week 5 and feeling like myself again. I'm able to get through work and come home and take care of things around the house. Where before I was leaving work early and going straight to bed. I am very glad my doctor started me on this medication. Before the Prozac I had never been on any medication before. I have had no side effects or weight gain.

October 24, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by The cardiac nurse:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I started this medicine in nursing school. Very much so needed. I started seeing myself with less worry, and a more of a "whatever" type of mentality. I figured that worked for me. However, my biggest problem has been the weight gain. Before I knew it I gained atleast 25 lbs. I'm a very active person and I do what wait I eat, especially since I am a cardiac nurse. Also make sure you NEVER miss a day of the medication. My side effects would be vertigo and shooting nerve pains in my head. I just upped my dosage to 150mg hoping it will increase my energy and help with weight loss. I was really bad off emotionally before so besides everything above, I have my life back.

October 23, 2014 11:30 PM

Review by nynyer (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine): Worked quite well for sometime. Had side effects which were attributed to another medicine I was on at the time. Through trial and error it was discovered the other medicine was not at fault. I was having kidney problems along with frequent edema in my legs and feet. Also constant mucus and tightness in throat. Helped with depression but side effects became serious. Also weight gain. Dr tapered me off this medicine.

October 19, 2014 8:46 AM

Review by j1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor (venlafaxine): Celexa stopped working and I was put on Effexor. My panic attacks are worse then they have ever been, my depression is totally off the charts and I physically shake all the time. The irritability is by far the worst part for me. I'm forever angry now on this medication. My friends and family have noticed a big difference in my personality. Definitely getting of of this medication!

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 9:16 AM

Review by Suecmt:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been taking the generic, Venlafaxine for about 6 years. My doctor settled on 75 mg once daily, as increasing the dosage makes my hands tremble. It is not nearly as effective as it once was. Withdrawals for this medication are hellish. I ran out of pills on a few occasions and felt like I was losing mind. I really would like to slowly taper off and eventually be free of this medicine.

October 1, 2014 3:04 AM

Review by Cancer Crab:

Effexor (venlafaxine): Switched from Paxil 20mg to Effexor 75mg. On Paxil I just couldn't lose weight and my insurance wanted me to try an SRNI before they would pay for the newer meds like Brintellix. At first I noticed a decrease in anxiety THEN I went to work!! My job is very stressful and I have to be SPOT on!! First I noticed anxiety returning then that I was clumsy..dropping things! I then started noticing numbness and tingling in my fingers and then waking up with numb arms which would not wake up for up to 7hrs!!! I did some research and noticed that numbness/tingling of the extremities is a side effect for 20% of people taking Effexor. The numbness scared me to death! I immediately went to my Shrink and got off this damn drug! I'm going to Lexapro! Ugh!

September 23, 2014 7:56 PM