User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "only antidepressant that works for me"

be2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Don't like it as I can't have a orgasm. I will be stwiching to something else"

wildcat7786 June 28, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I took this drug a few years ago when I was 18, I stopped having panic attacks but still felt anxious at times but i was still much more outgoing. I feel like it made me want to drink all the time, but i felt much better then i did without it. I remember waking up one morning and thinking this is what normal people without depression feel like. I stopped taking it after about a year because I felt like it was working and I didn't have any withdraw symptoms except one day where I felt like I had the stomach flu for one day/ feeling severely depressed a few months after taking it. I have been on 37.5 mg for a month now and just started 75. gives me restless legs and a little insomnia, not much difference in depression but i feel less anxious"

buns4life June 23, 2015

"Moderately effective, but didn't do enough to tolerate the "brain lag" and fatigue, among other side effects, it caused. Would have been higher if coming off of it wasn't utter torture."

TheMeerkat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 19, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I had to restart Effexor for the 4th time and it still works very well. My depression started to lift by the second week. The last time it took longer - about a month - before I felt any relief, it all depends. If the period of time before depression is one full of stress, longer, with many irritations, then it takes a little longer for Effexor to work. This 4th time it was only a sudden stressful situation with my mother's health - she was diagnosed with cancer - that sank me into depression. Somehow Effexor worked again and I thank God for that. The side effects for me are almost not worth mentioning and exercise helps a lot. I feel like myself again and some joy of life is back. I first took Effexor in 2005 and I'm glad it still works."

zepman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Trying Effexor was the worst decision of my life. I was on Celexa for about a year and noticed it becoming less and less effective so I talked with my doctor and he convinced me to try Effexor. The first few months I experienced nightmares, cold sweats, grogginess, lack of motivation, and memory loss. After 6 months I wasn't even the same person anymore. I had no emotion, no sex drive, and completely lost all hope. The only reason I stayed on it was because I knew the withdrawal was so miserable. A couple months ago I had an incident where I attempted suicide and had no choice but to switch medications. It took me about a month to get off the Effexor and the withdrawal was absolute misery. Please, if you have a choice do NOT try Effexor."

Madison295 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 12, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I was switched from Prozac to this (150mg) and it is amazing! It really helped me but I will say DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE IT! my side effects of missing one day were these really weird dreams and horrible headache but if I was off of it for more than a day I felt super dizzy."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Please listen to me when I say that "never start this medication"!!!!! I was reluctant to try this only because a friend of mine talked to me about the withdraws. I (at the time) didn't have any plans on coming off of it so I thought....what the hay. I was going through a difficult time in my life and needed something to help my anxiety and depression that came from hurting those around me from my anxiety. This medication changed me. I didn't see it at the time. It made me completely numb to everything around me. Yes I could cry but did I really "feel" hurt? It caused me to leave a very amazing job that I was only at for 6 months...kinda one of those lifetime opportunities that I could kick myself for screwing up. Awful medication!!!!!!!"

alynch1213 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started taking effexol 4 years ago to take the edge off my anxiety because my job is stressful and I have to shoulder a lot of responsibility. I am on a daily 75mg dose. Overall, I have found it to be a great leveller, but the consequences of missing one dose is bad... missing 2 or 3 is pretty horrific, with head shocks, disorientation and feeling miserable. Really miserable. It's good medication, but do not forget it if you are travelling."

Paddy Irishman June 2, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "Effexor has been the most effective antidepressant for me. I've tried 5 SSRI's. Effexor doesn't make me lazy or spaced out. I feel it helps my cognitive functioning, as well as focus, motivation and memory. I will go off effexor for periods of time, plenty of time for my brain/body to reset, but I keep finding it better to be on Effexor. It's helped me to not be so negative, irritable and just miserable overall. I can feel its slight pain killing effects as well. It keeps me doing things instead of laying in bed ruminating negative thoughts. Side effects for me are constipation and lower libido. Miralax fixes the first one. As for the second one, before Effexor I wasn't socializing at all anyways, so the I can handle that side effect."

RegularBachelor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 2, 2015

"I took remeron (mirtazapine) for about a year until I decided I needed something to give me more energy. I started 75 mg in the morning after eating. In a week I could already feel a difference in my mood and energy. Even my friends and family have noticed a difference in me. I didn't realize how numb I had been on remeron. I'm finally getting back to myself and I couldn't be happier. My depression and anxiety has been getting better thank God. The only complaint about this medicine is that if you forget to take it, even just one day, you get headaches, feel nauseous, or dizzy."

Sara D (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I started taking Effexor in 1995. I had GAD with some depression. For some reason, I let the Dr continue prescribing for 12 years, I was only on 75mg and since it worked, I did not want to temp fate. Last year I started to have worse anxiety and went to one of the highly regarded MD's in NYC. He prescribed Remeron and Effexor. Eventually the dose was increased from 75 mg to 300mg. It had no beneficial effects. Worse is getting off of it. I'm now down to 37.5 mgs over the last two weeks. The brain zaps and anxiety are tough. I think this drug should be illegal, The withdrawal effects are awful. I recommend trying something else unless this is your last resort."

CPA50 (taken for 10 years or more) May 14, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I am 140 lb, 29 year old woman. I was prescribed 150 mg of Venlafaxine XR. I only took it for 5 days due to the horrendous side effects. I experienced dry mouth, excessive sweating, blurred vision, constipation, and increased heart rate. I wasn't on it long enough to determine its effectiveness; I wasn't willing to deal with side effects. My doctor switched me to Wellbutrin and I have not experienced any withdrawal symptoms."

KC85 May 14, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Horrible drug, will never use it again. My doctor perscribed the lowest possible daily dose to try to see if it would help for anxiety and depression. After taking it for one week I had nausea, constant sweating, made my head feel tight and foggy, did not sleep more than 20 mins at a time because I was constantly waking with nightmares. Been off effexor for over a month. Sweats gone, nausea gone, feeling much better but can't sleep more than 4 hours straight then being awake for hours. I would not recommend this drug to any one. Get your doctor to try you on something different first.."

sara pezzini (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I only give it two stars because it did relieve some depression while I was on it. After being on it for about 2 months, I realized that I wasn't feeling like myself at all. I felt like I was losing my personality and ambition. So I decided to taper off, and my doctor had me decrease 37.5 mg per week until I was off the med. During the tapering I didn't notice anything major side-effect-wise, but the second day I was completely off of it, everything kicked in. I felt like I was going to die, with major brain zaps and horrible migraines being consistent for a week. I also gained 15 pounds in what seemed like a few days. It's now been a month since I've been off of this awful drug, and I still have brain zaps, and the weight gain too."

No more effexor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2015

"I've been on this (75mg ER) for 2 weeks now but with no positive effects. My depression still lingers and I seem to wake up each morning with a lot of anxiety. The anxiety passes about 3 hours after taking my morning dose but it's still an unpleasant way to start my day. Maybe I need more time?"

KCDEVIL May 3, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I developed depression when I was 14 after being bullied at school for some time. I decided that I had enough of all the crying and suicidal thoughts just before my 16th. My doctor put me on Zoloft April 2014, which gave me urinary retention. He swapped me to another one which I can't remember the name of, but I had a terrible allergic reaction to it. Finally, I was put on Effexor for 6 months until I was ready to come off them in October 2014. I experienced no depression for a few months, until I became stressed with school. Started Effexor again April 2015, and will continue on it because it works very, very well on me. At first I experienced a little bit of nausea with Effexor, but it passes after a couple of weeks then it's perfect!"

Rachel1998 May 2, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I take the drug in morning when I wake up, first thing is eating, then 75mg with bottle of water, and I make sure during the day a drink plenty water because this drug affects your renal and hepatic system; every three months or according with your MD you should do routine labs. Remember, the drug won't take effect fast, is going to be two weeks to check out how you are tolerating the dose; this first two weeks you may feel somnolence, dizziness, tired, and urge to sleep. Thats normal, but you can also feel you can't control your life, not being focused, unhappy, that also can occur in the starting period as me. The maximum effect of the drug/dose will take effect in three months. Monitor your suicidal thoughts with any anti-depression med."

Sofiaaa- (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

"Great as long as I don't forget to take it"

Nicolemont (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I've only been on this medication for about 2 weeks. That said, I've slept almost every day since starting it. I know sleepiness is a common side effect but this is excessive. Almost no energy throughout the day. Nonstop yawning. My depression is still there, anxiety has been better. I just feel very drained and apathetic. I'll stick with it for a while longer because I know it will take a while for the full affect to kick in. hoping for good results!"

SleepinBeauty April 19, 2015

"Weight gain ++, excessive sweating. Moods great. Win some, losing some"

pies10 April 11, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I take this medication at night before bed and i wake up in a great mood. I feel more alert and i am able to control my emotions better.."

pandabear83 April 9, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "One of the best responses I have had to any anti-depressant medication. At 150mg and I have suffered with depression for over 20 years. Within a week I noticed a drastic improvement in my mood. Has far surpassed Prozac, Lexapro and Cymbalta. Definitely recommend trying to someone suffered from depression, MDD, etc."

Erik Sherman (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've dealt with depression/anxiety all of my life, or at least as early as I hit puberty. I tried Zoloft and Wellbutrin to their max doses, and neither were effective at all. After dealing with unbearable constant depression I stopped seeing my psychiatrist and went to a family physician who prescribed me Effexor. It's been maybe 4 months on Effexor XL 75 mg/day, and I've done a 180 degree turn around. I feel so content, so confident, rarely feel sad or bothered by little things. I started dating and met someone, and my friendships with people are stronger than ever. I finally feel like the person I should be, and more importantly I feel like an OPTIMIST. Only bad thing is that withdrawal is bad & it can make you nauseous. Otherwise 10/10!"

happyasaclam (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Total life saver. Took away the pain of existence been on it for 7 years, used to binge drink a lot but it interfered. Don't drink anymore, no intention to stop Effexor."

Anonymous April 2, 2015