User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

"I took remeron (mirtazapine) for about a year until I decided I needed something to give me more energy. I started 75 mg in the morning after eating. In a week I could already feel a difference in my mood and energy. Even my friends and family have noticed a difference in me. I didn't realize how numb I had been on remeron. I'm finally getting back to myself and I couldn't be happier. My depression and anxiety has been getting better thank God. The only complaint about this medicine is that if you forget to take it, even just one day, you get headaches, feel nauseous, or dizzy."

Sara D (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I started taking Effexor in 1995. I had GAD with some depression. For some reason, I let the Dr continue prescribing for 12 years, I was only on 75mg and since it worked, I did not want to temp fate. Last year I started to have worse anxiety and went to one of the highly regarded MD's in NYC. He prescribed Remeron and Effexor. Eventually the dose was increased from 75 mg to 300mg. It had no beneficial effects. Worse is getting off of it. I'm now down to 37.5 mgs over the last two weeks. The brain zaps and anxiety are tough. I think this drug should be illegal, The withdrawal effects are awful. I recommend trying something else unless this is your last resort."

CPA50 (taken for 10 years or more) May 14, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I am 140 lb, 29 year old woman. I was prescribed 150 mg of Venlafaxine XR. I only took it for 5 days due to the horrendous side effects. I experienced dry mouth, excessive sweating, blurred vision, constipation, and increased heart rate. I wasn't on it long enough to determine its effectiveness; I wasn't willing to deal with side effects. My doctor switched me to Wellbutrin and I have not experienced any withdrawal symptoms."

KC85 May 14, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Horrible drug, will never use it again. My doctor perscribed the lowest possible daily dose to try to see if it would help for anxiety and depression. After taking it for one week I had nausea, constant sweating, made my head feel tight and foggy, did not sleep more than 20 mins at a time because I was constantly waking with nightmares. Been off effexor for over a month. Sweats gone, nausea gone, feeling much better but can't sleep more than 4 hours straight then being awake for hours. I would not recommend this drug to any one. Get your doctor to try you on something different first.."

sara pezzini (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I only give it two stars because it did relieve some depression while I was on it. After being on it for about 2 months, I realized that I wasn't feeling like myself at all. I felt like I was losing my personality and ambition. So I decided to taper off, and my doctor had me decrease 37.5 mg per week until I was off the med. During the tapering I didn't notice anything major side-effect-wise, but the second day I was completely off of it, everything kicked in. I felt like I was going to die, with major brain zaps and horrible migraines being consistent for a week. I also gained 15 pounds in what seemed like a few days. It's now been a month since I've been off of this awful drug, and I still have brain zaps, and the weight gain too."

No more effexor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2015

"I've been on this (75mg ER) for 2 weeks now but with no positive effects. My depression still lingers and I seem to wake up each morning with a lot of anxiety. The anxiety passes about 3 hours after taking my morning dose but it's still an unpleasant way to start my day. Maybe I need more time?"

KCDEVIL May 3, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I developed depression when I was 14 after being bullied at school for some time. I decided that I had enough of all the crying and suicidal thoughts just before my 16th. My doctor put me on Zoloft April 2014, which gave me urinary retention. He swapped me to another one which I can't remember the name of, but I had a terrible allergic reaction to it. Finally, I was put on Effexor for 6 months until I was ready to come off them in October 2014. I experienced no depression for a few months, until I became stressed with school. Started Effexor again April 2015, and will continue on it because it works very, very well on me. At first I experienced a little bit of nausea with Effexor, but it passes after a couple of weeks then it's perfect!"

Rachel1998 May 2, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I take the drug in morning when I wake up, first thing is eating, then 75mg with bottle of water, and I make sure during the day a drink plenty water because this drug affects your renal and hepatic system; every three months or according with your MD you should do routine labs. Remember, the drug won't take effect fast, is going to be two weeks to check out how you are tolerating the dose; this first two weeks you may feel somnolence, dizziness, tired, and urge to sleep. Thats normal, but you can also feel you can't control your life, not being focused, unhappy, that also can occur in the starting period as me. The maximum effect of the drug/dose will take effect in three months. Monitor your suicidal thoughts with any anti-depression med."

Sofiaaa- (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

"Great as long as I don't forget to take it"

Nicolemont (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I've only been on this medication for about 2 weeks. That said, I've slept almost every day since starting it. I know sleepiness is a common side effect but this is excessive. Almost no energy throughout the day. Nonstop yawning. My depression is still there, anxiety has been better. I just feel very drained and apathetic. I'll stick with it for a while longer because I know it will take a while for the full affect to kick in. hoping for good results!"

SleepinBeauty April 19, 2015

"Weight gain ++, excessive sweating. Moods great. Win some, losing some"

pies10 April 11, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I take this medication at night before bed and i wake up in a great mood. I feel more alert and i am able to control my emotions better.."

pandabear83 April 9, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "One of the best responses I have had to any anti-depressant medication. At 150mg and I have suffered with depression for over 20 years. Within a week I noticed a drastic improvement in my mood. Has far surpassed Prozac, Lexapro and Cymbalta. Definitely recommend trying to someone suffered from depression, MDD, etc."

Erik Sherman (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've dealt with depression/anxiety all of my life, or at least as early as I hit puberty. I tried Zoloft and Wellbutrin to their max doses, and neither were effective at all. After dealing with unbearable constant depression I stopped seeing my psychiatrist and went to a family physician who prescribed me Effexor. It's been maybe 4 months on Effexor XL 75 mg/day, and I've done a 180 degree turn around. I feel so content, so confident, rarely feel sad or bothered by little things. I started dating and met someone, and my friendships with people are stronger than ever. I finally feel like the person I should be, and more importantly I feel like an OPTIMIST. Only bad thing is that withdrawal is bad & it can make you nauseous. Otherwise 10/10!"

happyasaclam (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Total life saver. Took away the pain of existence been on it for 7 years, used to binge drink a lot but it interfered. Don't drink anymore, no intention to stop Effexor."

Anonymous April 2, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I struggled with depression, mood swings, and incredibly severe anxiety at a very young. Effexor is the only drug that worked for me. I went up to 150mg and that really helped me control my anxiety and depression. I became more outgoing and was able to enjoy life in a way I hadn't been able to before. The one con with this medication is the withdrawal, which is severe. If I miss a dose I experience fatigue, powerful electrical shocks throughout my body, and I become very withdrawn and "out of it". I switched to taking 2 doses; one 75mg at night and morning. I switched recently to pristiq to see if it would 't have this side effect, but it does (although, less severe) and it isn't as effective. I will be going back to Effexor."

Regular_reviewer April 2, 2015

"I have been venlafaxine for the last two months. All I can say is: wow. This medicine completely gave me my life back. The first week or two I did experience a few common symptoms, noticeably the insomnia. Also in the first week I felt a bit "off," like everything was a bit surreal. However, two months into this medicine and I feel fantastic. Today I was blissfully happy for the first day since I can remember. As cheesy as it sounds, this medicine has definitely given me a new lease on life."

College Student (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Effexor helped me see the reality of my life when I couldn't. I took Zoloft for a while (up to 150mg) and I felt more numb than "happy". When I switched to a family doctor from my psychiatrist, they recommended Effexor XR; I've been taking 75 mg a day for the past four months and my life has done a complete 180. No depression, very little anxiety, and I finally have CONFIDENCE. I have more friends now than I ever did, a wonderful new relationship that I could never have foreseen myself happening, and I'm performing really well academically. Best decision of my life was taking Effexor- I can immediately see a difference in my thought processes when I forget to take it for two days at a time."

reeemuslupin March 28, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I had been on Zoloft (50mg/day) for depression for 8 years. Following a major chronic health condition, a medical specialist was concerned the Zoloft was no longer effective. Increasing to 100md/day was disastrous - head spins, dry dry mouth, vertigo - so a psychiatrist recommended Effexor. Initial 75mg/day then 150mg/day after a fortnight. Initially I was unable to orgasm but this lasted only about a month (same when I started Zoloft). Main concern is weird dreams most nights. The only thing I can tie this to is the Effexor. Have been researching online and it seems I'm not the only one. What a relief to discover - I was becoming quite concerned (and irritated). But hey, I feel soooo much better that I can live with it. I'm smiling again."

LGG March 28, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've taken this medication for about 5 years now after having no success with other antidepressants. I take 75 mg everyday. On the rare occasion that I run out of pills or miss a dosage, the side effects are incredibly hellish. The nausea and dizziness are hindering and I have found nothing that can help these side effects."

..... (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 17, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I think maybe the 19 year old should have had something like Clonazepam prescribed as well. I've been taking 150 mg of "V" in the PM for awhile now and at first in the morning I feel really shaky all over and wonder if I made a mistake, then I take 0.5 mg, the lowest dose of Clonazepam and I level off and stay that way the rest of the day."

Mikkiluv March 16, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I am taking 35 mg and it works great. I have strange dreams but that's about it for side effects.It doesn't interfere with sexual health like a lot of anti-depressants do.I can see staying on it for as long as I need to.I am glad that I tried, also lessened fibromyalgia outbreaks."

Anonymous March 5, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Would have been good for just depression, but I am suffering from anxiety too, and that seemed to get worse. So overall, didn't help. Might be good for just depression though."

KellyBird57 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I started taking Effexor 3 weeks ago after finding no success with Wellbutrin or Zoloft. It causes some initial bad side effects (nausea, dizziness, tiredness) but I cant emphasize enough how wonderful I feel now! I thought I would never find a solution. Most effective medication I've encountered this far!"

reemus January 25, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "This stopped my depression the second day! It felt like a hole in my heart mended! Literally! I seem to be able to skip days here and there in the spring and summertime with no effects, but never have plans to wean off. It has been too great a miracle prescription for me! Seven years!"

lavendarles December 16, 2014

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next