User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I have been taking Effexor for several years, first starting at 50, 75 then 150mg. As far as treating my depression it has been the best. I am a totally different person when taking it. I do have weird dreams, but I would rather have those than be a living nightmare in reality. What I do not like about Effexor is that it excaberates my chronic constipation condition. I have tried taking other anti-depressants, but they did not work as well treating my depression as Effexor."

N.L. August 24, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I just started about two weeks ago. I completely see a difference in myself for the better. My children are even noticing the difference in my reactions to basic things. I won't say I don't feel anything..but this is a period in my life...feeling nothing is what I need. I am able react to situations with logic. Instead of being on the emotional roller coaster all the time! I was suicidal two weeks ago. I took my kids zip-lining yesterday. I needed this. I'll deal with the withdraws later..this medication saved my life. I work out 4days a week so no energy loss. I don't feel a change in my appetite yet. I did have headaches yesterday briefly. dreams.. falling dream a few times. No weight gain so far. Sex. I don't have a desire yet."

My life matters now August 23, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've just started 37.5 mg of effexor xr for depression, gad and pd. Im on day 10 and I'm finally getting my energy back. I no longer stay on the couch all day long. Im finding that I have more energy in the am but after lunch the energy slowly fades. But im ok with that!! I was on celexa 30mg for 10 years and i am slowly weaning off that. The celexa work for maby the first 2 years but thats it! I havent tried anything else because I have a fear of taking new meds. I am very proud of myself for taking the plunge and trying something new!! Im happy that I did! I also suffer from chronic daily headaches and migraines which has a huge part of why I have anxiety and depression. I take 40mg of proaponolol and 75mg of amitriptyline as preventive"

kittsykat (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2015

"Worked when no SSRI couldn't"

williamclarkonet (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 21, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I was on 300mg. Of Effexor XR for 3 years and did not realise what it was doing to me until I weaned myself off it. I had constant suicidal thoughts and attempted suicide several times. I had severe alcohol craving and was labelled an alcoholic and had several very expensive stays in re-hab. I suffered horrific nightmares, paranoia and at times had difficulty rationalising what was reality. I lost all ability to handle my finances. My relationships were severely damaged because of this and I almost died 4 times. I have now been off it for 4 months and I am a different person. I no longer have nightmares, suicidal thoughts or crave or drink alcohol. This is an extremely dangerous drug! Avoid it completely! My story is not unique."

Wendy57 August 19, 2015

"i've been taking them for 5 weeks i was on citalopram 20 mg which just stopped working. switched to venlafaxine 37.5mg for 2 weeks then 2 a day for another 2 weeks then 37.5mg 3 times a day, the good thing it as stopped racing thoughts i have no control over and more relaxed the negative im constant tired and sleeping my life away cant even lift the hoover anxiety is still there don't want to socialise or go out side 8 months now really thinking there is no hope iv tried so many others over the years and some make me speed around a talk so fast and anxiety was greater getting really tired of fighting this depression thing iv had it for good 12 years severe depression.psychiatrist said i wiull get worse before getting better."

femy August 15, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I've been on this medicine for going on 5 months now and it's helped and not helped at the same time, I ran out and the 3 days I was off of it my head started feeling funny and I started feeling sick along with suicidal thoughts it was horrible and now I can't get off it, my aunt is on it as well and she's been on it for 20 years her doctor fought to get it off the market for being an addicting drug and potentially harmful as well. But when I'm on it I feel fine for the most part, but if I had to do all over again I would've told my Dr to put me on something else."

scarwal August 14, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "This was indeed the scariest medication ever. I started it and the first two weeks were too much. I had the normal beginning-taking-New-antidepressant side effects but I'd have hallucinations in the dark. Things would move and sway and melt together. It began to make me numb over the five years I took this medicine. I couldn't "feel" anything. All I wanted to do was sleep and sit there and zone out. I felt as though I was in limbo. They tried all doses and absolutely nothing changed. Not only that, I would miss a day and it was a nightmare. Eventually I cut myself off of it in the way the doctor told me to. Scariest experience ever. Worst few weeks of my life. I still had nighttime hallucinations, I felt like I was falling off a skyscraper."

Raven lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 10, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I was on Effexor for over 10 yrs. I finally got off this in Dec. 2013 and as of today, July 2015, I'm still having those brain zips several times a day. Last July, I started with a vibration and severe pain in my feet. It's all nerve connected and I think it's from long term use of Effexor. This medication works great for depression but the side effects are not worth it."

KYL August 4, 2015

"I've taken Effexor/venlafaxine for at least 18 years & I've never felt the desire to change. I have pretty severe depression as well as anxiety. Since venlafaxine treats both conditions, it has worked well. I feel best when I take it quite early in the morning, with luck, an hour before I have to get up--mornings are the WORST time for me. I advise getting a dog or two (I have 2 Rottweilers). They rouse me to let them out to pee around dawn so that's when I swallow my venlafaxine. By 7 or 7:30 am, the meds are working & the dogs are making me laugh. I cannot recommend dogs enough as a complementary add-on to venlafaxine for depression/anxiety. Truly, they are 'therapy dogs' for our kind. Very worth it."

nicky nickname (taken for 10 years or more) August 2, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I was prescribed Effexor for anxiety and depression and while it does work in some ways, it is not worth it. I was taking 75 mg once a day and it seemed to make me feel calmer and a little more at ease at first, but the side effects made me decide to stop it, and coming off was terrible. My side effects were inability to get any good sleep, taking forever to climax during sex, and never being able to get anything done. The overall feeling I felt was that everything just seemed blunted. Once I stopped the withdrawals were horrible. I felt hungover for about 4 days. In addition to that during the withdrawal time I would sometimes feel like I could just explode and punch a hole in the wall for no reason. Would never try again."

Adam m July 29, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I just dropped in on the internet to see if their was something "better" or maybe "newer" than my Effexor, but after several sites I know I'm still in good hands. I've been on 150mg Effexor, or venlafaxine, for more than ten years and I've lived a normal life since the right-medication-finding game. Yes, the withdrawals within 24 hours are dizziness so bad you shouldn't drive, but I've asked my doctor to write a second prescription for the non-xr version in half strength and I keep that filled for emergencies, or it's open to fill in another city if I have to fill it unexpectedly. Or if I miss my dose and need it to kick in immediately"

EffexorUser July 27, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "My experience with Effexor was absolutely terrible. I was prescibed this for my depression (3rd medication I tried) The reason I gave it 2/10 was because I didn't feel any worse mentally on this (did not feel the slightest bit better either), but if it wasn't for that I would have given it a 0/10 if possible. The side effects and withdrawal was absolutely terrible. The head "zaps" started to cause unbearable migraines, I had no appetite, and my vision was blurred some days. The withdrawal was something I've never experienced before and I hope that I will never have to go through it again. I was completely bed ridden due to the unbearable migraines, sweating, and vomiting. Everyone is different, but this did not work out for me."

Jessie62 July 20, 2015

"I love venlafaxine is so effective its only been the 4 day on it n I feel like i used to b it works for depression and anxiety I recommend any one the suffers from anxiety and depression to try venlafaxine the first 2days is rough but hang on to it and you'll see results its so worth it"

Jose valdez July 18, 2015

"I've been taking Venlafaxine XR (the generic version of Effexor XR) for exactly one month now and I can honestly say that I haven't felt this normal in a long, long time. I started out taking 37.5 mg for seven days, and then my dose was increased to 75 mg where it has thus far remained. Upon start up I had no adverse side effects other than fatigue. I take my pill every night with dinner, and although I do have trouble sleeping at times, it is not consistent. I was also given a prescription for 0.5 mg lorazepam as a "bridging" medication to take only when needed. Overall I would recommend Venlafaxine. Don't believe all the scary things you read about it. I was scared too but quite honestly I feel it has improved my life."

Dubzlee (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "I have not been able to stay awake for more than a few hours at a time and so depressed that I couldn't go out in public But since I have been taking Effexor I am 100% better. I am a new person. I want to get out and do things and I sense of well being. I love this feeling!! its like a new me. I am better than ever."

Blakesmammy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Works Pretty well. Yet Its Terribly Hard To Stop The Pill. Horrible WithDrawls"

Miss Ash (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 10, 2015

"This medication works wonders for me along with my Vyvanse."

jaci ar July 8, 2015

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): "only antidepressant that works for me"

be2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Don't like it as I can't have a orgasm. I will be stwiching to something else"

wildcat7786 June 28, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I took this drug a few years ago when I was 18, I stopped having panic attacks but still felt anxious at times but i was still much more outgoing. I feel like it made me want to drink all the time, but i felt much better then i did without it. I remember waking up one morning and thinking this is what normal people without depression feel like. I stopped taking it after about a year because I felt like it was working and I didn't have any withdraw symptoms except one day where I felt like I had the stomach flu for one day/ feeling severely depressed a few months after taking it. I have been on 37.5 mg for a month now and just started 75. gives me restless legs and a little insomnia, not much difference in depression but i feel less anxious"

buns4life June 23, 2015

"Moderately effective, but didn't do enough to tolerate the "brain lag" and fatigue, among other side effects, it caused. Would have been higher if coming off of it wasn't utter torture."

TheMeerkat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 19, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I had to restart Effexor for the 4th time and it still works very well. My depression started to lift by the second week. The last time it took longer - about a month - before I felt any relief, it all depends. If the period of time before depression is one full of stress, longer, with many irritations, then it takes a little longer for Effexor to work. This 4th time it was only a sudden stressful situation with my mother's health - she was diagnosed with cancer - that sank me into depression. Somehow Effexor worked again and I thank God for that. The side effects for me are almost not worth mentioning and exercise helps a lot. I feel like myself again and some joy of life is back. I first took Effexor in 2005 and I'm glad it still works."

zepman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "Trying Effexor was the worst decision of my life. I was on Celexa for about a year and noticed it becoming less and less effective so I talked with my doctor and he convinced me to try Effexor. The first few months I experienced nightmares, cold sweats, grogginess, lack of motivation, and memory loss. After 6 months I wasn't even the same person anymore. I had no emotion, no sex drive, and completely lost all hope. The only reason I stayed on it was because I knew the withdrawal was so miserable. A couple months ago I had an incident where I attempted suicide and had no choice but to switch medications. It took me about a month to get off the Effexor and the withdrawal was absolute misery. Please, if you have a choice do NOT try Effexor."

Madison295 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 12, 2015

Effexor (venlafaxine): "I was switched from Prozac to this (150mg) and it is amazing! It really helped me but I will say DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE IT! my side effects of missing one day were these really weird dreams and horrible headache but if I was off of it for more than a day I felt super dizzy."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2015