User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Depression

Review by supers:

More effective than SSRIs. Needed experimentation over a long period for maintenance dosage. Any modifications to dosage were done in small amounts, as I experienced considerable side effects. We are all different and, this is key to interpreting personal experiences!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 5:48 AM

Review by Fuckhead:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Effective but bad side effects of nausea.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by King Bean (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine): Great experience on Effexor. Was very anxious; maybe a little depression. Panic attacks, etc. Effexor gave me a great bump within 3 days at each dose. Ultimately, went up to 225mg (2 years). I was a new person; no worries, loving life. Went down to 150mg (2 years), and then down to 75mg (2 years). No problems. After 7 years, went off. Then I started to feel very badly again, went back on to now avail. But the 7 years I was on it, I felt tremendous. Great med for me.

August 4, 2014 2:29 PM

Review by Tepper:

Effexor (venlafaxine): As with all antidepressants, I tend to peak after about 5 years and my medication begins to lose its efficacy. This is the third time I have had Effexor prescribed, and each time the results have been better than with any other antidepressant. I actually enjoy parts of my life and sleep like a baby, which is a true blessing, because I have Fibromyalgia and the accompanying insomnia so common with Fibromyalgia. Several years ago my brother-in-law was having trouble with his depression medications so I told him to ask his doctor about Effexor. He has gone from suicidal to a fairly happy fellow. This medicine has literally been a life saver in our family.

August 2, 2014 3:08 PM

Effexor (venlafaxine): I took Effexor for three years due to depression. I loved the fact that I was no longer depressed but I was tired all the time. I could sleep for 10 hours get up and two hours later I was ready to sleep again. If I missed taking a dose I would get a horrible headache. The only reason I stopped taking Effexor was due to being tired all the time. Getting off of the medication was awful. I have never been so sick in my life. If you are going to take this medicine the rest of your life I highly recommend it. It did wonders for my depression.

July 29, 2014 10:35 PM

Review by o.q.m (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 17 years old and also have prescribed Adderall for ADHD and I am on hormone blockers for gender dysphoria. I have been on venlafaxine for 4 days and have had more than 7 serious anxiety and dysphoria attacks. I have tried Prozac and Zoloft in the past and those have had a similar effect, but nothing nearly as bad as this.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by MawMaw10:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I have been on Effexor XR 150 mg for 20 years it certainly has help with my suicidal thoughts and panic attacks. I also take 2 x 1mg of Xanax. I started seeing a new primary care doctor yesterday who thinks I should be taken off both since I have been on it for so long but I have read some awful things about the withdrawal problems and it makes me scared.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by Moochymama (taken for less than 1 month):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Day 4 of venlafaxine, 37.5mg at 6.30 am and 6.30pm. I have only just realised the importance of taking it at the same time if you are doing split doses. Previously I was taking as I woke up (5am) and before bed (10pm). Not good- headaches turned into full blown migraine. First dose I was sick immediately and was sweating, trembling slightly. I felt I could feel the chemicals literally swooshing around my brain and body. It was very strange. I calmed myself down, told myself to go with it. The rest of the day-fine. Day two, realized I had to EAT with the venlafaxine to ensure I wasn't sick. I've never been a big eater, but half a banana with a venlafaxine plus milk in between bites was enough to line my stomach. Much better this time.

June 1, 2014 3:21 PM

Review by Lawrence Jones (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor (venlafaxine): I am a physically healthy (runner) 25 year old male. I have never been mentally healthy, so I have tried antidepressants. I tried Prozac and Wellbutrin. Prozac didn't help or hurt ,but it gave me dangerous mood swings. I was prescribed Effexor 2.5 months ago. It seemed a perfect fit for me. I was wrong. I was on 75 mg each day. It actually made me sadder. I had no weight or sexual side-effects but had vertigo. The worst was CRIPPLING insomnia while taking it, and now I am close to 0 mg, but I still get night sweats and "brain zaps". As I write this, I've had 13 hours of sleep in the past 5 days.

June 1, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): This medicine had horribly painful withdrawals. The entire time I was taking it I cried all day every day. I kept asking my doctor if it was working and she kept raising the dose. I took myself off of this medication and found a better doctor.

May 27, 2014 9:06 AM

Review by Emcee70 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've had the greatest success for the longest period of time. I love how it's also a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. It seems to help more.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2014 12:48 AM

Review by Gc6644 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Effexor (venlafaxine): I started this medication about 4 months ago after being on Prozac for 5 months. Antidepressants react differently for everyone, and I am happy to say I have had a very good experience with this medication thus far. I have much more energy, will to live, and my anxiety has also decreased immensely. I have not experienced any side effects with this, however I strongly recommend staying away from alcohol. After a night of drinking I would fall into a depressive state or have a panic attack. This never happened to me before taking this medication.

May 22, 2014 7:05 PM

Review by htas (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine): This medicine has helped for about 10 yrs. It makes me a little sleepy. I did not gain 1 pound on it.

May 12, 2014 11:09 AM

Review by Von Rymer (taken for 10 years or more):

I attempted suicide 23 yrs ago and I tried several medications for the first 3 or 4 yrs. They did little to help my depression and then a psychiatrist prescribed Effexor first @ 75mg daily and then at 150mg daily. I have used it for about 20 yrs and there have been no side effects like the others. It has truly been a life saver.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2014 11:51 PM

Review by Ettie (taken for 10 years or more):

I am a senior business executive that run a daily regimen of 300mg Venlafaxine, amongst other things. I have been on it for 11 years, and it saved my life. I have suffered from severe depression since early childhood, but through a combination of intelligence, willpower and sheer drive I managed to function and build a stellar academic and professional career. By my late 20s things were starting to unravel though, and it was just a matter of time before suicide or my high-risk lifestyle took my life. Venlafaxine changed all that, it saved my life. It wasn't overnight, and over the years I added many more medications to the regimen, but in the end it given me a chance.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 9, 2014 8:15 PM

Review by OLou (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Effexor (venlafaxine): I took this for a few years in my late teens for severe depression and self harm tendencies. It worked well for me. The only downfall is the effects one experiences if one forgets a dose or stops taking the medicine without approval from one's medical provider. In my opinion the honest truth is this: it can be a wonderful, miracle for severe depression and anxiety. It can make a person more outgoing in their environment and provide someone with more energy. The only downfall I ever experienced with it was the withdrawal effects if I forgot a dose. Brain zaps, nausea, general ill feeling. If one takes it as directed, however, they shouldn't experience these. Never quit this medicine on your own without talking to your doctor.

May 3, 2014 4:00 PM

Review by NLDIS (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I've tried many different SSRI's for depression (Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Prozac) and nothing worked. I was apprehensive to take the Effexor because of online reviews but I'm so glad I did! The only side effect I've had is tiredness the first few weeks but that has since subsided. I not only feel more energy but I actually can feel happiness. On the other medicines I just felt a numbness and lack of emotion but Effexor has made me feel like me again! This has been my miracle after years of mild-severe depression.

May 2, 2014 1:30 PM

Review by Roolanda:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I had severe hellish, unrelentless depression and did not want to live, I started taking Effexor and it worked the same day. I never thought something could work so well. I have few side effects. My life changed 100%. I am so happy now that the doctor put me on this. People should not be afraid to try anti-depressants.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 29, 2014 12:25 AM

Review by mpsprowl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Side effects (dry mouth, loss of libido, energy level) the first 4-6 weeks were pretty bad, but they subsided. Medicine seems to have been effective after taking for a while.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2014 11:43 AM

Effexor (venlafaxine): A miracle medicine.

April 25, 2014 9:03 PM

Review by Brandoneffexor:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I'm 19. I had a terrible abusive childhood full of alcohol and physical and mental abuse. Depression also runs in my fathers and my mothers family, and so my heads pretty screwed up. I was first prescribed Lexapro, that medication made me go insane, and now I'm on 75mg of Effexor XR. I probably should take more, but in my experience with depression, it really keeps me down to earth and so I told my doctor this was good enough for me. I've been depressed my whole life and I just want to be good enough to where I won't be suicidal. This medication is great. The only side effect is that if I sit in weird positions my feet will go numb really quickly.

April 17, 2014 9:17 PM

Review by VIRIDIANA:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): I BEEN TAKING EFFEXOR FOR 4weeks FINALLY I FEEL GOOD IT'S A MIRACLE I WAS SUFFERING REAL BAD DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY AND THOUGHTS OF GIVING UP ON LIFE. EFFEXOR WORKS, THIS IS THE BEST I FELT SINCE I WAS 23 NOW I'M 30 AND YES I FEEL VERY HAPPY TO KNOW I DIDN'T GIVE UP AND FINALLY FOUND A MIRACLE PILL AND IT'S ONLY BEEN A MONTH THANKS EFFEXOR SAVED MY LIFE THANK YOU.

April 11, 2014 10:53 AM

Review by Denise007:

Effexor (venlafaxine): I'm 48 and in menopause. I've suffered bouts of little depression through life but since menopause, it hit me like a brick. I had had a couple of panic attacks throughout the years and I couldn't shake this gradual depression that was coming over me. I've always been able to talk myself through it but this time, I just couldn't. My doctor prescribed EFFEXOR. I took it 2 days. On the third day, I was driving to work and I SUDDENLY felt like I couldn't breath. I was shaking, my heart was racing and I really thought I was going to die. I pulled over thinking I was having a heart attack. I called 911, throwing up on the side of a freeway. By the time the ambulance came, my heart rate had skyrocketed! Worst experience of my life.

March 29, 2014 3:24 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): People either love Effexor or hate it. I am on the side of adoration. I am 18 years old and have been taking Effexor for 4 years and the change I experienced was amazing. I have a long family history of depression and a generalized anxiety disorder, and it doesn't help when you're trying to go through puberty and are constantly being told that everybody your age is going through the same thing. The side effects are not pleasant, I used to get headaches, my blood pressure increased (but with exercise it can be managed), and get lightheaded and faint more often. Even with these, I still am happy and am grateful for Effexor.

February 26, 2014 8:31 AM

Effexor (venlafaxine): I am a 49 year old female who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I am taking Risperidone 2 mg a day with 75 mg of Effexor. I was severely depressed and suicidal everyday. Lexapro made me extremely anxious and nervous. I think 75 mg of Effexor is helping a lot. I am now not as depressed or suicidal. I am now regaining my energy and interest back. For everyone who struggle with depression/bipolar out there: don't give up HOPE. Things will get better and you will recover. I believe that. Hang in there, seek help and know that I am rooting for your quick recovery. Best wishes to all of you.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2014 8:01 AM