Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Venlafaxine

Also known as: Effexor, Effexor XR

Learn more about Venlafaxine.

Venlafaxine review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 96 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Venlafaxine to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Review by WasHopeless (taken for less than 1 month):

I started taking Effexor XR about two weeks ago on a very low dose. I am also taking Levbid twice a day. Between those two, my symptoms are almost non existent. The doctor wants to raise the dosage next week and I am ok with that since it is supposed to help my anxiety, which is a trigger for my irritable bowel syndrome symptoms. I will say, the first week, the side effects were horrible. I had the enlarged pupils, nauseous, constipation, and dizziness. They went away exactly at the 7 day mark and now I am starting to have hope I can have a normal life once again.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 8:38 AM

Review by Sykes (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Venlafaxine turned out to help my irritable bowel syndrome a lot in addition to the psychological part. I take 225mg a day at the moment, and the days I sometimes forget to take them it gets noticeable worse.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2014 5:39 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Effexor (venlafaxine): I was prescribed Effexor XR for social anxiety and panic attacks, but an unexpected benefit was a decrease in my IBS symptoms (remember, bowel challenges are part of the symptoms for anxiety). After taking the medication for about a week my bowel motions were normal and cramping in my bowels were eased- it emboldened me to eat more foods (before the medication I hardly ate anything but blend foods trying to alleviate the bowel cramping and gas). It was sensational- my health is so much better because I am eating healthier foods. I even stopped using Pepto-Bismol as a go to for cramping! I am so appreciative of this medication. Also: another good aid for irritable bowel syndrome symptoms is swallowing peppermint oil capsules; not peppermint tea or candy. God Bless You!

November 29, 2012 3:01 PM

Review by loay R W (taken for 10 years or more):

I got anxiety attack and that lead to irritable bowel syndrome. My Dr. recommended Effexor 150mg/day. I used that since 2001. It works well, no problems, makes me happy all time but when I eat something with milk, immediate I have diarrhea.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2012 12:39 PM

Review by gutgirl:

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): Worked really well for irritable bowel syndrome, but unfortunately it affected my blood pressure.

January 13, 2009 9:41 PM