User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Dysautonomia 1 reviews 54 medications

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: Works well with anxiety, panic

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 28, 2015 9:01 PM

Review by John Shag (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: Diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder folowing several health issue including Cancer, pre-cancerous duodenal cyst removal, gallbladder removal, kidney surgery to remove stones. I have tried several SSRI's, several SNRI's, mood stabilizers (antipsychotic) and Remeron. All ineffective for my condition as a matter of fact made it worse. Once lorazepm was prescribe it all changed for the better. No side effects, no forgetfulness, no instability (falling). Without lorazepam I would not make it through the past 4 years. I also tried therapy with 4 diff. Therapists and did get some benefits from CBT. But lorazepm keeps me on an even keel. The only problem I have is all the negativity regarding its use. It works for me in small dosage (1 - 1.5 mg).

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2015 7:08 PM

Review by Aracab24 (taken for less than 1 month):

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: I loved it, when I lost awareness in the Hospital: I was given Ativan. It brought me back to normal. I wish I had some now.

February 5, 2015 9:02 PM

Review by Stella13:

Ativan (lorazepam) for Panic Disorder: Ativan works. I just started getting panic attacks in my 40s no real reason for it except maybe aspartame caffeine sometimes emotional but in all I'm not sure why have gotten panic attacks. But Ativan works sometimes I need three pills of .5 mg or sometimes I just need one but I only take them as needed not sure if my doctor is going to continue to give them to me but I definitely need a back up of some kind and it does make you feel better so think goodness for that.

January 19, 2015 10:22 AM

Review by skiguy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Ativan (lorazepam) for Insomnia: I've been on this nightly for about 4 years now because of back pain I don't sleep well. It does a good job of helping me sleep but now it is causing my eyes to become very dry so I will look for an alternative.

January 15, 2015 1:15 AM

Review by Johnnyh (taken for 10 years or more):

For Panic Disorder: Someone who has never experienced a full scale panic attack has no idea how incredibly bad it is. I don't know what it's going to feel like to die, but I'm betting it won't be a lot different from a panic attack. It feels like every part of my body is shutting down, and there is nothing I can do to stop it. I would do ANYTHING to keep it from happening again. The only medicine my family doctor will prescribe is lorazepam because its slower onset makes it less attractive for abuse than what you get from Valium or Xanax. I only take it when I feel an attack is about to happen. In my experience the onset of relief is about an hour from a 1 mg dosing. The relief is incredible, and I seldom need a 2nd dose. No euphoria, just feel normal.

January 8, 2015 12:36 PM

Review by LeniRose:

Ativan (lorazepam) for Nausea/Vomiting: For post-chemo nausea, this works better than ondanestron (Zofran) for me.

December 23, 2014 1:24 PM

Review by Raay_09:

For Anxiety: I suffer from social anxiety- it's situational. I can go out to the grocery stores and other things but it usually happens in class. I tried 1mg today and it worked great.. It felt so good to feel calm around people and give good eye contact without my heart racing. It makes me sleepy hours later but I'm fine with that.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 15, 2014 11:19 AM

Review by PCMACLINUX (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: I found this medicine very helpful in my anxiety.

December 7, 2014 4:31 AM

Review by missriss:

For Anxiety: I have bad anxiety about medicines. The only reason I began to trust this one was because I was in the ER with really high blood pressure and a headache that had me concurring to shoot my brains out. The nurse gently asked if she could give me something to "bring down my blood pressure" I said yes because I was desperate. I later found out was an anxiety need and it really did the trick. Calmed my butt right down and I felt normal. Finally! I only use when anxiety is getting outta hand. I'm not into relying on pills daily for this type of thing but it makes me feel more safe knowing I have the "antidote" in my bag should I need it. It works for me even when I don't take it knowing it's in my bag.

December 3, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by gregs374:

For Anxiety: It's amazing how well this actually works. I thought I would be stuck with anxiety forever and wondered how I would ever be able to finish uni and find a job. This completely got rid of my social anxiety as well as all the physical symptoms that came with it. I can talk with people normally and for once have some hope that my life could actually turn out well. No more random panic attacks or worrying about minor things either. No side effects of any sort. I wish I had taken this back in high school when I was first prescribed it but I was too anxious to try any medicine.

December 2, 2014 10:12 PM

Review by meep45678 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I was diagnosed as bipolar in Nov 2014. I'm currently on 1 mg of Ativan (lorazepan) and 150 mg Seroquel (quetiapine). In the beginning I was very tired and slept a lot. Now that a few weeks have gone by I can think clearly, the depression has decreased and I can function in crowds now. I may not want to spend the rest of my life on them but I am grateful for them.

December 2, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by Peach45 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I have epileptic seizures & there are times my mind thinks non stop even in my sleep. And I would wake up tired and sore with a headache. I could literally see my thoughts racing in my mind about things I had to do the next day, I got to the point I was only sleeping 2-3 hours a night, my neurologist prescribed me lorazepam & it helps. I fall asleep faster; however, I still wake up before the alarm but I'm well rested.

November 24, 2014 9:25 PM

Review by OnlyAMemory:

For Anxiety: I had been very stressed, depressed and suffered from very high anxiety and panic. I was hesistant at first to take the medication because of all of the scary reviews online, but I have to say, whenever I felt like I was losing control and on the verge or having an attack or loss of control I took this medication and within 30 minutes I felt very calm and relaxed.

November 24, 2014 12:17 PM

Review by TGK21:

For Anxiety: Take it for "shutting my brain down" at night so I can sleep. Excellent medicine in that it's subtle and effective. I notice that an hour after dosing I'm much more relaxed and slowing down but in a very good way. Also in the morning I feel very calm again.

November 14, 2014 12:00 AM

Review by JayneC (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ativan (lorazepam) for Panic Disorder: Ostensibly prescribed for Menieres and vertigo, it had a huge impact on my panic episodes and anxiety, only slightly less effective than Xanax, but slightly longer lasting. Also was a smooth, warm feeling taking it. The downside after a months use, after a week of nothing, the nausea and vomiting kicked in heavy, so I shy away from this one... That time delay of withdrawal was awkward in public places. Still, if I were to ask for an adjuvant, I'd pick Ativan over the more powerful Xanax.

November 11, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by AnxietyDude (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: Given that I've had issues with addiction, my previous psychiatrist would not prescribe me any benzos and instead prescribed me Vistaril, which I found pretty useless. For someone with acute panic and anxiety issues, benzos really should be the first and last word on the topic. Ativan is great. Because of my addiction history, I am very careful with it and never take it more than prescribed. It is enough to make me feel "evened out" during the day without making me loopy, euphoric or sleepy. And at night, it puts me out without giving me a "hangover" the following day like Valium does.

November 10, 2014 12:27 PM

Review by lenalena (taken for less than 1 month):

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: Long story short, I am terrified of medication , the first time I took Ativan I had already got myself all worked up about having to take it that when I did I went into full blown panic attack. It was not because of this med , it was my own doing. The second and third time I took it, it worked well . Allowed me to get through the entire day like myself again. Even took the depression away that I have caused from anxiety . I have only taken it 3 times in the last month since was prescribed it . Since I've read how addicting this can be I have been very careful about taking it only when I really need it.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2014 10:54 AM

Review by lena1990 (taken for less than 1 month):

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: I Have only taken my Ativan 3 times in the past month that I have had it. I really try to take it only on the times I can't control my anxiety and can not work because of it. I am so against taking medication including this one but the second and third time I took it I was happy I did. It allows me to function and get through the day feeling good. It really does take the edge off and also calms my heart rate, As it usually is always beating faster throughout the day just from being anxious. Even though I still get paranoid about having to Take this medication when I really need it , I end up being glad I did. It works! I personally have no side effects either from this med.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2014 7:11 PM

Review by Jlemaire:

For Nausea/Vomiting: I was on this med during chemo and it worked fine during the first 4 months. After that I started getting uncontrolable crying spells. Would just burst into tears for no reason. Found out this was one of the side effects. Believe me I don't cry easily at least until I was on lorazepam. Even went to a psychologist twice and even she wasn't sure why I was there since I don't have issues to work out. Other than the crying problem I did like this med. it worked well for me during the first 4 months of chemo. Good luck!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2014 11:53 PM

Review by charlie 2:

Lorazepam Intensol (lorazepam) for Sedation: Very helpful for short term treatment of anxiety and insomnia. I found I only needed to take half dose to have a good nights sleep and to feel calm the next day. Such a relief after 2 years cancer treatment left me very tired and anxious. Only problem is the doctors don't like it to be used other than for short term.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 1, 2014 1:28 PM

Review by 23, Male (taken for less than 1 month):

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: I have been taking Ativan for a few days while I wait for Lexapro to kick in. It has been a life saver. It has allowed me to eat and sleep, which has been huge in this fight against anxiety. It really helps mellow me out and take the edge off.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2014 7:41 PM

Review by Skeeter1969:

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: I was given a prescription for this 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. It is the one thing I can count on to help slow spiraling thinking. I have never taken it regularly until recently because of some major life stressors. I would normally take 0.5 mg in the morning once in awhile, but now I have been advised by my Dr. To take up to 0.5 mg three times a day as needed while I adjust to Zoloft. I have not needed it more than twice in a day. It sure helps, and so far I have never had any problems stopping taking it.

October 19, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by phildar (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Insomnia: Have taken lorazepam now for a year only on and off when insomnia becomes unbearable. They are little life savers only take 0.5 mgs, took 1 mg once and had a bad day next day depressed and drowsy the whole day. Menopause is a challenging time with the awful insomnia. I have also taken night nurse and sometimes 3 mgs melatonin. It is hard to get doctor to prescribe the tablets but they are worth taking just to get one nights sleep.

October 1, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by Rob in Seattle (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Used it for claustrophobia when undergoing throat radiation therapy for cancer. Worked great. Also used it for an MRI on my shoulder. I don't have anxiety/panic attacks but for these medical procedures it worked great.

September 23, 2014 1:07 PM