User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 7 reviews 17 medications

7.8
Anxiety 292 reviews 60 medications

6.8
Panic Disorder 37 reviews 19 medications

6.8
Summary of Buspirone reviews 336 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Buspirone

For Anxiety: "This medication has been wonderful for me and my anxiety. As soon as I took it I felt better right away. When I first started I was on 10 mg 2x daily. I was having trouble sleeping and when I woke up in the morning I would have to go to my moms house as early as 5am because I would freak out at home. I would be ok all day without panic once I took my pill so my doctor told me to try it 3x a day and added Xanax. I took this medication as soon as I woke up along with a Xanax and was able to stay home and not run to my moms and the anxiety was almost non existent. Taking the medicine 3x instead of 2 made a big difference along with one Xanax in morning and one at night to help me sleep. Had No side effects."

.......... January 29, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been on a combination of medicines to include 45mg Buspar a day for about a year. I used to take Ambien or some other sort of sleeping aid every night as that is when my anxiety was the worse. Now I take an aid about once a week so I am happy with my results. I started out not believing at first but my doctor kept telling me to give it time and I'm glad I did. I did not see results for the first two months as I was increasing my dosage."

MaryCalmDown (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 27, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Been on BuSpar over a month and it does not help me at all, actually makes my anxiety worse and I have been much more irritable. Can't wait to try something else. I have also gained 5 pounds in the short time I have been on it. That adds to my anxiety. "

Beckylg January 23, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "The best medication I've taken thus far for anxiety. I'm on 60 mg/day split into two doses of 30. Non addicting, no sexual side effects, in fact this is amazingly free of any side effects that I have experienced. I have been on Klonopin in the past and overall I have to say that this has been the best for my anxiety and social phobia. The medical community is all too quick to disregard this medicine as ineffective. Its a safe medicine. You're not losing anything by at least giving it a trial. Its the only med that's worked well for me after trying countless SSRIs, and a few psych meds of other classes. Good luck."

Checkerberry (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 16, 2015

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have been on this medication for 3 years now - I think I need to up the dose because it is not working that well however it saved my butt a few years ago when something traumatic happened. My dr told me take it and give it 6 weeks and then all the panic and anxiety stopped- it's everything from hypochondriac to 24 hour a day worry about job, health, kids and everything else- I do think it is a lifesaver - I went from 5mg 3x a day to 2 5mg 2x a day - maybe I should go back."

Just call me A January 5, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've been taking 15 mg 2x/day with good results. My social anxiety has improved and I am sleeping much better. I have been taking Ambien almost every night for the past 4 years and now down to less than 1x/week. That to me has made it worth it."

glassygirl (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2014

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This medication did not improve my depression or anxiety at all. I was on dosages from 15 to 60 mg, as an add on to Lexapro and it made no difference. I finally switched to mirtazapine and already felt a lot better the next day."

Jason5279 December 7, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I'm on week 7, I thought would wait until the effects kicked in to write a review. Regarding the side effects, mild nausea and lethargy for a short while after taking the medication, nothing to avoid taking the pill for. As for the results, very mild, but I notice a difference. I speak more clearly and confident to people and I overall am less anxious. One big thing, my constant worry about my health has subsided. I am 31 and live a healthy life bit I get a stomach ache and think I have colon cancer. These thoughts I laugh at now. I recommend taking this. Only 8 stars because it is not a cure all, only you can be."

bstyll December 4, 2014

255 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've been taking Buspar for a month, following a period of elevating anxiety that was turning my life into a joyless state of constant worry and anxious, obsessive, unhelpful thoughts. My psychiatrist warned it would take 4-6 weeks to notice any improvement - I noticed significant improvement within *hours* of pill #1 with minor and bearable side effects. At other low periods, I was medicated for depression without benefit, and sometimes terrible side effects (Prozac: auditory hallucinations; Celexa: crazy hot flashes). Unfortunately I seem to be noticing decreasing benefit. I have been taking just 7.5 mg/day so today I doubled to the full 15mg I was prescribed. Hope it works! This medicine has given me real hope."

Racing Turtles (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2014

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I started taking Buspar about a year ago for anxiety/panic attacks. I've taken benzodiazepines in the past but having an addictive personality, I had to stop those. Buspar saved my life. I have no fear, paranoia, or low self esteem anymore. I used to feel like the world was out to get me and that I was being judged by everyone no matter where I went. I used to have the most crippling social anxiety too, I'd avoid social situations because the anxiety was so bad. Luckily Buspar erased all of that for me. Anxiety still creeps up here and then but it is absolutely nowhere close to being as bad as it was before. No side effects. I love it and will take it for a long time. At first I did get headaches but they went away a couple days later. Love it."

Stef138 November 16, 2014

228 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed benzodiazepine for my post traumatic stress disorder induced anxiety. The benzos worked great for me but after admitting myself into a rehab program for substance abuse I was told I could no longer take the benzos as there is high risk for abuse and addiction (even though this wasn't the medicine I was abusing). After a number of panic attacks I sought help from the doctor for a non-addictive alternative. They gave me Buspar 10mg 3x a day. This improved my anxiety but I still had days that were debilitating. I saw the doctor again and he upped the does to 15mg 3x a day and I have been completely anxiety free since. Make sure you have the proper dosage before claiming this doesn't work. And the side effects like dizziness are easily countered with a good meal."

Dylan M October 27, 2014

215 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "I have a 10 year old who is autistic, is the size of a 13 year old, and has had severe panic and tantrums since he was 4 years old. He is also going through puberty early. We have tried just about every medication and he has had severe side effects, until Buspar. We started with 5mg twice a day for 2 weeks and now are 10mg twice a day. Within 36 hours we noticed a considerable change in his physical symptoms (he is non-verbal and cannot tell us what is wrong/or what hurts) The school is sending home notes saying he is learning to calm himself and self regulate better and is having more spontaneous language and learning at school. We supplement the Buspar with 3mg daily of risperdal and are hoping to phase out the RISPERDAL this year."

Addvoc84kids (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have been taking Buspar for 2 months and have definitely noticed I am more relaxed and less reactive and upset in stressful situations. Prior to Buspar I had taken Xanax as needed for anxiety but it made me extremely hungry I would eat so much (and even worse-not remember) that it just gave me more anxiety from all the weight gain. I am only taking Buspar now and I take 7.5 mg x 3 daily. I am able to function on this medication and not feel like a zombie. I feel very relaxed and I am starting to enjoy life!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2014

214 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I'm a 17 year old female. I have OCD and anxiety and this has done nothing for me! I take 7.5 mg 3 x a day and I wish I could take something else. I've been out of school for like a month because of my anxiety."

Destiny11 (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2014

For Anxiety: "I've taken Buspirone HCL 7.5 MG for at least a month now and its made me feel sick to my stomach, sweaty, and gives me dry mouth. However other people have seen change in my personality in a positive way even though I haven't noticed a big change yet. I don't like how it makes me feel physically but my doctor said it could take months to get used to."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was having ALL kinds of medical problems, severe cramps, inability to urinate, severe joint pain, headaches, insomnia, and more. I noticed an improvement immediately, most of my problems went away completely, and my joint pain subsided some. I've been on it for two months now, I feel happy, calm and 10Xs better all over. Generalized Anxiety Disorder is a terrible thing to TRY and live with, Buspar is the answer. I had tried lots of natural remedies, like 5HTP and many others. The natural supplements had far more side effects than Buspar! I hate taking medication, but I'm not sure how I'd get along without it. Buspar has changed my life. I'm not sure what started the severe anxiety because I have never had a problem with it, but whatever it was Buspar saved me."

Johnny America (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2014

281 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I take between 30-50 mg per day depending on how I feel. Usually 15mg or 20mg at a time. Doctors should really look at this medicine for bipolar as I am severely bipolar (with anxiety) and do not like addictive substances. Buspar is a wonder medicine for some! I'm getting my life back! I no longer rage and ruminate, and I can also sleep, and think more clearly :D most things do not work for me but this one did."

MCruz9 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2014

248 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I tried this after going off Cymbalta cold turkey since I felt that Cymbalta was doing basically nothing for me and worse yet - making me clench my teeth so badly I was getting regular migraines from the TMJ I was getting! Wish the heck I had known Cymbalta had the "less common" side effect of clenching and I could have saved myself a ton I agony, massage therapy, CHIRO visits and muscle relaxers! Anyway as for Buspirone - took between 10 mg and 15 mg 2x day for nearly a whole month and it did virtually nothing for my anxiety! This was especially bad because Cymbalta's withdrawal is horrible and I was experiencing extreme irritability, anger etc. I asked for Prozac 10 mg yesterday and feel 85% better already!"

Jane8744 August 28, 2014

For Anxiety: "I've been on it for about a week, just about to up it to 30 mg. I have had no dizziness or nausea. I can say for me, it has an immediate effect after taking it. I feel just a tad loopy and very relaxed for about an hour after. Not sleepy or anything, just relaxed. It has definitely suppressed my appetite. It seems to be working already, I'm not grinding my teeth all day, so my jaw no longer hurts and I'm able to focus a bit better. I like it way better than clonazapam or any benzo I've been given. I do not get panic attacks and I'm also on bupropion."

lcdavis (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2014

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed buspirone for my generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder (as well as clonazepam) Three doses a day; in the afternoon only a dose of buspirone. The first three weeks were hard, as it took that long to get into my system. Once it kicked in, however, I noticed a huge difference. I felt more balanced, and less likely to have a panic attack. Once I took a dose it took effect in half-hour. It does well on it's own to control the anxiety. I took a couple stars off because the side effects are true to the label. They aren't so severe after years of taking it, but the dizziness is strong. I feel like my body will just fall one way or the other, and it's hard to gather strength. Now I take only one dose a day, and it works just as well."

RaiRai13 August 11, 2014

For Anxiety: "My doctor prescribed this for me due to heart palpitations to go along with another medication Pristiq. This medication did nothing for me other than increase my appetite .I gained 8 lbs in 2 weeks. Have stopped taking it."

CLWW (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have generalized anxiety, few panic attacks ever, mostly just obsessive irrational thoughts and constant fears which aren't normal. This definitely helps me calm down and keeps my brain quiet when it normally never stops. For about 2 weeks I would get spouts of dizziness, along with a feeling of restlessness and an inability to focus (felt very much like ADD) but it has been going away! This medicine helps for general anxiety, but I don't think it would do much for panic. I take 5mg 3x a day."

Rc9999 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2014

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "When I first started taking this at 5mg twice daily (10mg daily total) for generalized anxiety disorder, I was an absolute zombie, especially in the morning after taking my first dose. I was dizzy and unable to think straight. I was useless and confused at work, making my anxiety worse. Once I cut down to 2.5mg at bedtime, it was perfect for me. The ability to sleep well helped me to make better food choice, exercise more, and think more clearly. If I had more severe anxiety that needed stronger management, I don't think this medicine would have been appropriate for me, but it was great for my situation. I discontinued use during pregnancy but plan to revisit it as an option once I finish breastfeeding."

konstante (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 21, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I am 23 years old and suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. I did not want to be on an addictive med, and was very adamant about that with my doctor. I was prescribed Buspar and have been taking it for a year now (10mg 3 times a day) and it seems to work quite well. It calms me down and makes me think more rationally rather than experiencing constant worry and fear. I feel more free and open to life. Side effects I've experienced include dizziness, hot flashes and extreme hunger for about an hour after taking it. Taking it with food in your stomach is a must as it decreases the side effects for me. One complaint though, is short term memory problems and "cloudy" mind effect, but I will take that any day over my anxiety!"

Anxiety Gal (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 15, 2014

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "This medicine started to wear off I think due to too many negatives over 1 month time and I was upped on my dosage from 20mg x2 daily to 40mg x2 daily 8 days ago for thoughts not right and anxiety plus depression. Everything is starting to lift finally and feeling great and happy. It was really tough 8 days so far with very LOW LOWS and I'm BEYOND happy with it. LIFE SAVER INDEED."

Phil BF July 5, 2014

159 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next