User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 5 reviews 21 medications

7.5
Panic Disorder 31 reviews 19 medications

Anxiety 242 reviews 60 medications

6.9
Summary of Buspirone reviews 278 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

Review by Matt4072:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I, have anxiety issues eversince my teenage years. And I have noticed as I get older. My anxiety has gotten much worse. I have went back into the USAR. As of 2009. And my MDD, Panic Disorder and GAD (Social Anxiety) has shpwn it's ugly horns. I have missed taking an airplane for Annual Training. Or have had numerous Panic Attacks while at the range. I was on Paxil 60mg for 3 months. The brain zaps. Didnt help. But still had debilitating PA. So I have been on Lexapro 20mg n Xanac 1mg. Have greatly helped. But still had racing thoughts. And couldn't goto sleep So, for 5 days while being on 15mg Buspar. Taken at night before bed. Has greatly helped me. With sleep. No harsh side effects. I take the lexapro, buspar, xanax. Everyday.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2013 9:07 PM

Review by crane guy:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have suffered from severe anxiety for about 3 years now. I've tried buspar for a little bit and it helped some but I didn't keep taking it. I just had to post what has taken 90% of my anxiety away and that's cardio exercise daily. I started going to the gym and riding the bike with the heart beat monitor on it. I got my heart beat to 120 beats per minute and held it there til I got tired, then slowed down to rest a couple minutes then speed up again.. I'm a crane operator and mostly sit all day in my crane. The very first day I sustained a higher heart rate by exercising for 15 minutes my anxiety levels plummeted. Every day after that it has gotten better. Before taking drugs for anxiety try fast walking for 15 minutes. It will help!

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 24, 2013 8:09 PM

Review by anna flock:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: My psychiatrist put me on buspar after i had tried lexapro & many natural remedies in regards to my anxiety disorder, depressive disorder, & PTSD. Personally, i think that the medication fools with my depression. My depression has been inactive for almost 6 months now & so i requested ( after taking the lexapro ) that i could be put on strictly anxiety medication. I also have adhd, which i have been taking concerta for. When taking buspar i realized that, it increases my concerta side effects, makes me have depressive symptoms. I feel like it makes me have the physical effects of everything but not the actual feelings, which is frusturating because when presented it looks like more anxiety, depression, adhd, ptsd.. etc. symptoms.

October 23, 2013 2:40 PM

Review by eclectic lady (taken for 2 to 5 years):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: My son timed it several times without me knowing and discovered in 10 mins I was doing so much better, in 20 I was completely back!

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2013 1:26 PM

Review by AnxietyMom (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Was diagnosed recently with generalized anxiety disorder. It has manifested itself differently through the years...mostly Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My symptoms now being terrible brain-fog and jitters. Went through numerous blood tests, stress test, etc...and came to this "anxiety" conclusion. I decided to try Buspar, as my Mom had been on it off and on and had good results. I was worried about weight gain mostly and this one was touted as not having this effect. After 2 weeks into the medicine, taking 15mg/day, I feel pretty good! Starting to feel back to my old self again. The first couple of days were a little weird, felt more anxious than ever but tried to keep busy and it passed. A little trouble sleeping at night but take melatonin to help for now.

October 10, 2013 9:31 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have Schizoaffective disorder with bipolar features as well as uncontrollable anxiety. This medicine has helped me tremendously! I take 5mg in the morning and 15mg at night so I can fall asleep. I would recommend this medicine for sure!

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2013 8:20 PM

Review by hopful (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Panic Disorder: I've been on Prozac and Buspar for 3 months. I was terrified to start, awful spaced out feeling, not high just foggy minded. Now I feel great, have my moments but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

September 28, 2013 5:36 PM

Review by Randee (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I have severe anxiety, panic attacks & depression. Am taking 60mg of Cymbalta/day. Until recently was taking Ativan as needed for anxiety. When the anxiety wasn't getting better with the Ativan, I was switched to Buspar for my anxiety. Started out taking 5mg 2x/day. Recently increased to 10mg 2x/day. Really helped my anxiety to where I haven't been as anxious. These last few months I have been experiencing panic attacks again. Calling my doctor within the next week to see about increasing my dose. Overall, I have had no side effects with this medication aside from drowsiness.

August 22, 2013 10:51 PM

Review by acrowell27 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have Cluster Migraines so the doctor put me on Topamax, after about 2 months I developed anxiety symptoms and a rather hateful personality so they added Buspar to take the "edge" off. It has worked well for me but I can tell when it wears off. I'm on a low dose so it just may be time to adjust( 5mg twice a day ). All in all very satisfied with this medicine. It does make you dream vividly but that doesn't bother me.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2013 8:27 PM

Review by CMR000:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Took 5mg. Dizziness after I initially started taking, that vanished but occasionally cropped up once in a while. Felt pretty good. Happier. Thoughts that I would normally worry about still came to me, but I was able to think about them and dismiss them, not obsess over them ALL day. Some months later though I began becoming extremely emotional. I cried all the time, became so depressed getting dressed and brushing my teeth was a huge struggle; was paranoid, wanted to hurt myself, had crazy thoughts. I would sob at the drop of a hat, which ISN'T like me at all. Took months of confusion, emptiness, anger, and loneliness to figure out it was the Buspar. Loved it in the beginning, but unfortunately it was not for me!

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2013 2:31 AM

Review by StevenMme (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I recently started having panic attacks and was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. My doctor put my on Prozac but after 5 days I was having such horrible side effects she switched me over to BuSpar 5mg in the morning and 5mg in the evening. I am to up my dosage after 5 days to 7.5mg in the morning and then again in the evening. However, I feel dizzy, upset stomach and just exhausted. My doctor told me to give it time because I'm coming off a medicine and starting a new one at the same time. It is worse in the morning. I just want to feel better. I've had to take half of my 0.5mg Xanax just to take the edge off everyday and have zero appetite. I'm feeling hopeless and need some encouragement and help.

August 9, 2013 1:52 PM

Review by geobrad7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Buspirone really seemed to help me control my anxiety. I never had any side effects. I took 7.5 mg twice daily for the first few months, and have taken 15 mg twice daily for the last few months.

July 19, 2013 5:52 PM

Review by Oi Jillian:

For Panic Disorder: I was on this medicine at 5 mg (3x daily) for a total of 15 mg. I then began to take 20 mg and stayed on that for an entire year. It helped me tremendously with my physical symptoms of anxiety and decreased my racing thoughts. My sex life was better than ever. Long story short, I quit taking it (thinking I was better) and I could tell a difference 3 weeks later and decided to start taking it again. This medication has helped me so much and I probably will be on it forever.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2013 7:59 PM

Review by CaerRaven (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Panic Disorder: I was put on this after having a very bad panic attack that sent me to the hospital. I have been on it for about a month or so now at 15mg a day two times a day. I think the absolute worst thing for me is the "brain zaps" and the dizziness. Sometimes it feels like the Buspar isn't working and I have to take some ativan to calm me down- especially in public. However, the anxiety has decreased for me substantially when it comes to being home alone (which used to be a huge source of anxiety for me); now if I can just get rid of the dizziness and the brain zaps.

July 4, 2013 2:29 PM

Review by skyred593:

For Panic Disorder: I took the wrong dosage of a different medicine (forgot which) it never did help me with my anxiety attacks. I went to my doctor about it and he recommended buspirone. I tried it for 2 weeks and it helped me a lot and I was happy but when I stopped automatically, I was upset all the time. I got back on it and I was happy again. Buspar has helped me a lot.

July 2, 2013 1:42 AM

Review by Tay Tay 3711:

For Anxiety: When I first took this medication, I thought my anxiety would be forever over, and I would never have to rely on a benzodiazepine again. Unfortunately, I started getting such bad body shock feelings that I had to stop taking it.

June 26, 2013 5:06 AM

Review by Alliera:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have recurring bouts with severe anxiety. Six weeks ago, I was put on 30 mg's of Buspar to be taken in the morning and at night. I got "brain zaps" (similar to Paxil withdrawal) and nausea lasting about an hour after I took the medication. True to most other medicines for anxiety, I felt as though overall, my level of anxiety increased over the first 2 weeks although I would have periods where I was not anxious. After 2 weeks the Dr raised my dose to 60 mg's. I found it best to take 4 times a day because I definitely feel it wear off. While this has taken my overall anxiety from a 9 to a 7, it is still not enough.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2013 7:33 PM

Review by chicagoblu (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Panic Disorder: I was having heart issues of atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter along with my other medicines. I was giving this to calm me down, when I went into atrial fibrillation or having anxiety, palpitations. It has made life better for me. Before this started I thought I was having panic attacks.

June 11, 2013 11:41 AM

Review by Just a nobody:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Made me better

June 11, 2013 12:01 AM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have been off and on BuSpar for a little over a year now for severe uncontrollable anxiety but I have to take a high dose for it to work. I just take it as needed. I take 40mg at night. That's when my anxiety seems to bother me the most. If my anxiety is bothering me really bad and I don't take it then I am always up all night long and sometimes 2 days straight. Overall I would recommend this medicine!

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 7, 2013 12:02 AM

Review by anxious sleeper:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Been taking buspirone on and off for 15 years, for insomnia, anxiety, and symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder. Sleep is my #1 issue (or lack thereof). Very effective for insomnia almost immediately upon starting it (after a period of not taking it). I sleep easier within the first day or two. Within a week I get to sleep easier and more soundly. Ironically I've always had the side-effect of vivid memorable dreams. Doesn't seem to increase bad dreams though, just makes them more memorable. No other side effects. I have, depending on the stress in my life or other medicines being taken, generally been on 5mg/day to 20mg/day, with good results. At 30mg/day I feel dopey. Prefer to take doses later in the day, not first thing in the morning.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2013 12:29 AM

Review by Aubie171:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Started taking Buspar 15mg 2 times a day about a month ago and I will be honest, at first I hated it! I almost quit taking it! The first week it seemed as if it was making my anxiety worse. My chest was pounding and could not sleep at all! I decided to stick with it and I'm glad I did because all of that is gone now. I mainly had issues with social phobia, and I have noticed I am getting better in social situations. The only thing is every now and then I feel a little dizzy for about 20 minutes after taking it but that's it! It doesn't take anxiety away, but helps you deal with it and better rationalize things.

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2013 2:21 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Buspar allows me to rationally look at my intrusive thoughts without getting trapped in obsessive thinking. I have taken Xanax in the past, and feel that this medication is superior, though it takes some time to build up in your system. I was against being on medication for a few years, but plan on staying on Buspar indefinitely, as it improves my quality of life and decreases many of the physical symptoms of anxiety I have experienced in the past, such as muscle tension and teeth grinding. I have also tried Celexa in the past, and unlike an SSRI, I do not feel zombied out in the least, just clearer and more "at ease". I highly recommend this medication!

211 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2013 2:30 PM

Review by poppa jay:

For Anxiety: Put on metoprolol and paroxetine for high blood pressure and insomnia. Paroxetine did not relax for sleep but gave all night insomnia. Changed to Buspar 8 years ago and the hair trigger on anger had a safety put on. If I miss my morning 10 mg I can feel by mid-day that stressor can blow my cool. Often feel fuzzy for 30 minutes of I have not eaten. Still got stress but it keeps the launch button cover in place 98% of time. Emotional (edge of tears) from outside triggers (TV) have evolved but doc says handling everything that has been dumped on my plate would bring most men to their knees and that IF I would accept it he would prescribe something for depression so I guess I'll try his fluoxetine and see.

May 19, 2013 1:26 AM

Review by lalaB (taken for less than 1 month):

For Panic Disorder: I have been on alprazolam at a very low dose for three years as I cannot take any antidepressants for generalized anxiety disorder. I am weaning off of the alprazolam and adding the buspirone. It has been three weeks and I am having nothing but a positive journey. I have nothing bad to say about the alprazolam.

April 25, 2013 1:50 PM