User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 5 reviews 21 medications

6.8
Summary of Buspirone reviews 288 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

Review by kcladyz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I been on this medicine for 3 weeks and I do notice a positive change in my mood. My anxiety and overreacting, over worry and obsessive thoughts has greatly diminished. I worry less, get stressed less and feel better about my life. First day it was very sedating but after that felt little or nothing after taking the pill. I take 15mg twice a day.

January 18, 2014 7:18 PM

Review by Corey064875:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Did experience slight positive changes, but came at a cost of constant dizziness and fainting

January 9, 2014 1:27 AM

Review by sag34mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: CHANGED me life for the BETTER! Took a little while to kick in. Better to be on this then a habit-forming or dependent medicine..you have to want to change and then this medicine will work. Life-saver! 10mg once a day for 6 months now.

161 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 30, 2013 4:31 PM

Review by Lina~Hyatt:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: This medicine has worked wonders for me... took a month to work but well worth the wait.

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2013 12:22 AM

Review by boomboom77:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have generalized anxiety and panic disorder, I have since I was a teenager. In the past, I took Xanax as needed but it sometimes made me depressed and I worried about developing a tolerance or addiction. After less than a month on Buspar, I have already seen a major improvement. I ruminate less, my body is less tense, I am considerably less fearful (which is saying a lot because I was becoming fearful of leaving the house), I am able to tolerate stressors in a rational way, I am no longer depressed. What remains of my anxiety is manageable and it no longer interferes with my life. I began on 10mg and after a couple weeks bumped up to 15mg. I experienced insomnia the first couple days but that went away. Take with food for nausea.

190 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2013 9:14 PM

Review by worked for me:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I found that it worked better for me than anything else. After taking it for about 8 weeks, I was able to ween myself off of every other medication. This was the miracle for me.

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2013 2:15 PM

Review by jah123:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Buspar has completely and utterly changed my life. I have struggled with generalized anxiety ever since I was a child, and I've never been able to find a permanent solution. I have taken Xanax and Klonopin, but those are short-acting, and you build resistance to them quickly, and they're habit-forming. Now that I'm on Buspar, I have no anxiety. None. Nada. Zip. No more butterflies in my stomach, no more hyperventilating, no more irrational thoughts. I can fall asleep at night no problem, and wake up in the morning and be excited about my day. It takes a while to start noticing (3 weeks for me), but it's completely worth the wait. I'm finally excited about my future, and I finally feel in control of my life.

294 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2013 7:25 PM

Review by WhiteKnightToo:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: This replaced Benzosiazepines and Sleeping pills, gives better rest, improved sex drive, decidedly improved social life. I'm 46m, prescribed 15mg x2 daily. Others noted the improvements first. I had no untoward side effects other than dry mouth and a few lingering panic attacks per month easily handed by low dose Xanax 0.5 mg. Various SSRI's along the way didn't help with depression this much. 5 years running. It works good.

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2013 9:30 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I am 29 years old and have been on Buspar for about a year and a half and since I started taking it my sex drive is completely gone. Yes it helps my anxiety but I am too young to have a horrible sex drive!

November 25, 2013 9:27 AM

Review by panicattack:

For Anxiety: Worst Anxiety medicine ever. My doctor would not prescribe me benzos for major anxiety and ongoing panic attacks. I tried the Buspar, and at first thought it was OK but it is just a tranquilizer. I am a waitress and when I had symptoms of a panic attack coming on and took one, I was dropping stuff, unsteady, and seemed more messed up ON this stuff. I finally found a doctor to give me klonopin as needed and it has been a Godsend. There should not be shame and stigma attached to controlled substances. In my case it has been only the benzos that help me actually get through the panic attacks without feeling like I am about to black out or something horrible will happen. It gets me back to 'normal' quickly, and I never take more than I need.

November 9, 2013 10:05 PM

Review by Matt4072:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I, have anxiety issues eversince my teenage years. And I have noticed as I get older. My anxiety has gotten much worse. I have went back into the USAR. As of 2009. And my MDD, Panic Disorder and GAD (Social Anxiety) has shpwn it's ugly horns. I have missed taking an airplane for Annual Training. Or have had numerous Panic Attacks while at the range. I was on Paxil 60mg for 3 months. The brain zaps. Didnt help. But still had debilitating PA. So I have been on Lexapro 20mg n Xanac 1mg. Have greatly helped. But still had racing thoughts. And couldn't goto sleep So, for 5 days while being on 15mg Buspar. Taken at night before bed. Has greatly helped me. With sleep. No harsh side effects. I take the lexapro, buspar, xanax. Everyday.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2013 9:07 PM

Review by crane guy:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have suffered from severe anxiety for about 3 years now. I've tried buspar for a little bit and it helped some but I didn't keep taking it. I just had to post what has taken 90% of my anxiety away and that's cardio exercise daily. I started going to the gym and riding the bike with the heart beat monitor on it. I got my heart beat to 120 beats per minute and held it there til I got tired, then slowed down to rest a couple minutes then speed up again.. I'm a crane operator and mostly sit all day in my crane. The very first day I sustained a higher heart rate by exercising for 15 minutes my anxiety levels plummeted. Every day after that it has gotten better. Before taking drugs for anxiety try fast walking for 15 minutes. It will help!

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 24, 2013 8:09 PM

Review by anna flock:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: My psychiatrist put me on buspar after i had tried lexapro & many natural remedies in regards to my anxiety disorder, depressive disorder, & PTSD. Personally, i think that the medication fools with my depression. My depression has been inactive for almost 6 months now & so i requested ( after taking the lexapro ) that i could be put on strictly anxiety medication. I also have adhd, which i have been taking concerta for. When taking buspar i realized that, it increases my concerta side effects, makes me have depressive symptoms. I feel like it makes me have the physical effects of everything but not the actual feelings, which is frusturating because when presented it looks like more anxiety, depression, adhd, ptsd.. etc. symptoms.

October 23, 2013 2:40 PM

Review by eclectic lady (taken for 2 to 5 years):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: My son timed it several times without me knowing and discovered in 10 mins I was doing so much better, in 20 I was completely back!

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2013 1:26 PM

Review by AnxietyMom (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: Was diagnosed recently with generalized anxiety disorder. It has manifested itself differently through the years...mostly Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My symptoms now being terrible brain-fog and jitters. Went through numerous blood tests, stress test, etc...and came to this "anxiety" conclusion. I decided to try Buspar, as my Mom had been on it off and on and had good results. I was worried about weight gain mostly and this one was touted as not having this effect. After 2 weeks into the medicine, taking 15mg/day, I feel pretty good! Starting to feel back to my old self again. The first couple of days were a little weird, felt more anxious than ever but tried to keep busy and it passed. A little trouble sleeping at night but take melatonin to help for now.

October 10, 2013 9:31 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have Schizoaffective disorder with bipolar features as well as uncontrollable anxiety. This medicine has helped me tremendously! I take 5mg in the morning and 15mg at night so I can fall asleep. I would recommend this medicine for sure!

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2013 8:20 PM

Review by hopful (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Panic Disorder: I've been on Prozac and Buspar for 3 months. I was terrified to start, awful spaced out feeling, not high just foggy minded. Now I feel great, have my moments but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

September 28, 2013 5:36 PM

Review by Randee (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I have severe anxiety, panic attacks & depression. Am taking 60mg of Cymbalta/day. Until recently was taking Ativan as needed for anxiety. When the anxiety wasn't getting better with the Ativan, I was switched to Buspar for my anxiety. Started out taking 5mg 2x/day. Recently increased to 10mg 2x/day. Really helped my anxiety to where I haven't been as anxious. These last few months I have been experiencing panic attacks again. Calling my doctor within the next week to see about increasing my dose. Overall, I have had no side effects with this medication aside from drowsiness.

August 22, 2013 10:51 PM

Review by acrowell27 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have Cluster Migraines so the doctor put me on Topamax, after about 2 months I developed anxiety symptoms and a rather hateful personality so they added Buspar to take the "edge" off. It has worked well for me but I can tell when it wears off. I'm on a low dose so it just may be time to adjust( 5mg twice a day ). All in all very satisfied with this medicine. It does make you dream vividly but that doesn't bother me.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2013 8:27 PM

Review by CMR000:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Took 5mg. Dizziness after I initially started taking, that vanished but occasionally cropped up once in a while. Felt pretty good. Happier. Thoughts that I would normally worry about still came to me, but I was able to think about them and dismiss them, not obsess over them ALL day. Some months later though I began becoming extremely emotional. I cried all the time, became so depressed getting dressed and brushing my teeth was a huge struggle; was paranoid, wanted to hurt myself, had crazy thoughts. I would sob at the drop of a hat, which ISN'T like me at all. Took months of confusion, emptiness, anger, and loneliness to figure out it was the Buspar. Loved it in the beginning, but unfortunately it was not for me!

August 22, 2013 2:31 AM

Review by StevenMme (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I recently started having panic attacks and was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. My doctor put my on Prozac but after 5 days I was having such horrible side effects she switched me over to BuSpar 5mg in the morning and 5mg in the evening. I am to up my dosage after 5 days to 7.5mg in the morning and then again in the evening. However, I feel dizzy, upset stomach and just exhausted. My doctor told me to give it time because I'm coming off a medicine and starting a new one at the same time. It is worse in the morning. I just want to feel better. I've had to take half of my 0.5mg Xanax just to take the edge off everyday and have zero appetite. I'm feeling hopeless and need some encouragement and help.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2013 1:52 PM

Review by geobrad7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Buspirone really seemed to help me control my anxiety. I never had any side effects. I took 7.5 mg twice daily for the first few months, and have taken 15 mg twice daily for the last few months.

July 19, 2013 5:52 PM

Review by Oi Jillian:

For Panic Disorder: I was on this medicine at 5 mg (3x daily) for a total of 15 mg. I then began to take 20 mg and stayed on that for an entire year. It helped me tremendously with my physical symptoms of anxiety and decreased my racing thoughts. My sex life was better than ever. Long story short, I quit taking it (thinking I was better) and I could tell a difference 3 weeks later and decided to start taking it again. This medication has helped me so much and I probably will be on it forever.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2013 7:59 PM

Review by CaerRaven (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Panic Disorder: I was put on this after having a very bad panic attack that sent me to the hospital. I have been on it for about a month or so now at 15mg a day two times a day. I think the absolute worst thing for me is the "brain zaps" and the dizziness. Sometimes it feels like the Buspar isn't working and I have to take some ativan to calm me down- especially in public. However, the anxiety has decreased for me substantially when it comes to being home alone (which used to be a huge source of anxiety for me); now if I can just get rid of the dizziness and the brain zaps.

July 4, 2013 2:29 PM

Review by skyred593:

For Panic Disorder: I took the wrong dosage of a different medicine (forgot which) it never did help me with my anxiety attacks. I went to my doctor about it and he recommended buspirone. I tried it for 2 weeks and it helped me a lot and I was happy but when I stopped automatically, I was upset all the time. I got back on it and I was happy again. Buspar has helped me a lot.

July 2, 2013 1:42 AM