User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 5 reviews 21 medications

6.9
Summary of Buspirone reviews 268 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

Review by StevenMme (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I recently started having panic attacks and was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. My doctor put my on Prozac but after 5 days I was having such horrible side effects she switched me over to BuSpar 5mg in the morning and 5mg in the evening. I am to up my dosage after 5 days to 7.5mg in the morning and then again in the evening. However, I feel dizzy, upset stomach and just exhausted. My doctor told me to give it time because I'm coming off a medicine and starting a new one at the same time. It is worse in the morning. I just want to feel better. I've had to take half of my 0.5mg Xanax just to take the edge off everyday and have zero appetite. I'm feeling hopeless and need some encouragement and help.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2013 1:52 PM

Review by geobrad7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Buspirone really seemed to help me control my anxiety. I never had any side effects. I took 7.5 mg twice daily for the first few months, and have taken 15 mg twice daily for the last few months.

July 19, 2013 5:52 PM

Review by Oi Jillian:

For Panic Disorder: I was on this medicine at 5 mg (3x daily) for a total of 15 mg. I then began to take 20 mg and stayed on that for an entire year. It helped me tremendously with my physical symptoms of anxiety and decreased my racing thoughts. My sex life was better than ever. Long story short, I quit taking it (thinking I was better) and I could tell a difference 3 weeks later and decided to start taking it again. This medication has helped me so much and I probably will be on it forever.

July 5, 2013 7:59 PM

Review by CaerRaven (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Panic Disorder: I was put on this after having a very bad panic attack that sent me to the hospital. I have been on it for about a month or so now at 15mg a day two times a day. I think the absolute worst thing for me is the "brain zaps" and the dizziness. Sometimes it feels like the Buspar isn't working and I have to take some ativan to calm me down- especially in public. However, the anxiety has decreased for me substantially when it comes to being home alone (which used to be a huge source of anxiety for me); now if I can just get rid of the dizziness and the brain zaps.

July 4, 2013 2:29 PM

Review by skyred593:

For Panic Disorder: I took the wrong dosage of a different medicine (forgot which) it never did help me with my anxiety attacks. I went to my doctor about it and he recommended buspirone. I tried it for 2 weeks and it helped me a lot and I was happy but when I stopped automatically, I was upset all the time. I got back on it and I was happy again. Buspar has helped me a lot.

July 2, 2013 1:42 AM

Review by Tay Tay 3711:

For Anxiety: When I first took this medication, I thought my anxiety would be forever over, and I would never have to rely on a benzodiazepine again. Unfortunately, I started getting such bad body shock feelings that I had to stop taking it.

June 26, 2013 5:06 AM

Review by Alliera:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have recurring bouts with severe anxiety. Six weeks ago, I was put on 30 mg's of Buspar to be taken in the morning and at night. I got "brain zaps" (similar to Paxil withdrawal) and nausea lasting about an hour after I took the medication. True to most other medicines for anxiety, I felt as though overall, my level of anxiety increased over the first 2 weeks although I would have periods where I was not anxious. After 2 weeks the Dr raised my dose to 60 mg's. I found it best to take 4 times a day because I definitely feel it wear off. While this has taken my overall anxiety from a 9 to a 7, it is still not enough.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2013 7:33 PM

Review by chicagoblu (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Panic Disorder: I was having heart issues of atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter along with my other medicines. I was giving this to calm me down, when I went into atrial fibrillation or having anxiety, palpitations. It has made life better for me. Before this started I thought I was having panic attacks.

June 11, 2013 11:41 AM

Review by Just a nobody:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Made me better

June 11, 2013 12:01 AM

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have been off and on BuSpar for a little over a year now for severe uncontrollable anxiety but I have to take a high dose for it to work. I just take it as needed. I take 40mg at night. That's when my anxiety seems to bother me the most. If my anxiety is bothering me really bad and I don't take it then I am always up all night long and sometimes 2 days straight. Overall I would recommend this medicine!

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 7, 2013 12:02 AM

Review by anxious sleeper:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Been taking buspirone on and off for 15 years, for insomnia, anxiety, and symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder. Sleep is my #1 issue (or lack thereof). Very effective for insomnia almost immediately upon starting it (after a period of not taking it). I sleep easier within the first day or two. Within a week I get to sleep easier and more soundly. Ironically I've always had the side-effect of vivid memorable dreams. Doesn't seem to increase bad dreams though, just makes them more memorable. No other side effects. I have, depending on the stress in my life or other medicines being taken, generally been on 5mg/day to 20mg/day, with good results. At 30mg/day I feel dopey. Prefer to take doses later in the day, not first thing in the morning.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2013 12:29 AM

Review by Aubie171:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Started taking Buspar 15mg 2 times a day about a month ago and I will be honest, at first I hated it! I almost quit taking it! The first week it seemed as if it was making my anxiety worse. My chest was pounding and could not sleep at all! I decided to stick with it and I'm glad I did because all of that is gone now. I mainly had issues with social phobia, and I have noticed I am getting better in social situations. The only thing is every now and then I feel a little dizzy for about 20 minutes after taking it but that's it! It doesn't take anxiety away, but helps you deal with it and better rationalize things.

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2013 2:21 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Buspar allows me to rationally look at my intrusive thoughts without getting trapped in obsessive thinking. I have taken Xanax in the past, and feel that this medication is superior, though it takes some time to build up in your system. I was against being on medication for a few years, but plan on staying on Buspar indefinitely, as it improves my quality of life and decreases many of the physical symptoms of anxiety I have experienced in the past, such as muscle tension and teeth grinding. I have also tried Celexa in the past, and unlike an SSRI, I do not feel zombied out in the least, just clearer and more "at ease". I highly recommend this medication!

197 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2013 2:30 PM

Review by poppa jay:

For Anxiety: Put on metoprolol and paroxetine for high blood pressure and insomnia. Paroxetine did not relax for sleep but gave all night insomnia. Changed to Buspar 8 years ago and the hair trigger on anger had a safety put on. If I miss my morning 10 mg I can feel by mid-day that stressor can blow my cool. Often feel fuzzy for 30 minutes of I have not eaten. Still got stress but it keeps the launch button cover in place 98% of time. Emotional (edge of tears) from outside triggers (TV) have evolved but doc says handling everything that has been dumped on my plate would bring most men to their knees and that IF I would accept it he would prescribe something for depression so I guess I'll try his fluoxetine and see.

May 19, 2013 1:26 AM

Review by lalaB (taken for less than 1 month):

For Panic Disorder: I have been on alprazolam at a very low dose for three years as I cannot take any antidepressants for generalized anxiety disorder. I am weaning off of the alprazolam and adding the buspirone. It has been three weeks and I am having nothing but a positive journey. I have nothing bad to say about the alprazolam.

April 25, 2013 1:50 PM

Review by WorryNoMore:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: Been on this medication for over 12 years. Works well for me. Calms me down without the "brain zapping" I got from Paxil and Lexapro. Dosage has been adjusted throughout the years. I am told 60mgs a day is the maximum dose. I am currently on 15mgs 3 times per day. It took a good two weeks to get into my system, and I remember thinking it wasn't working at first. It's no Xanax, but it has helped me much more then Paxil and Lexapro did. This works well for me, and I have no issues taking it for the rest of my life. I do get some increased hunger and minor dizziness after each dose for about 15 minutes, but that beats being anxious and worrying all the time. It is also pretty cheap.

172 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2013 1:16 PM

Review by Ys:

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: I was a poster child for all the bad side effects of this medication. I am now on clonazepam odt 0.25mg twice daily and feel like a human being again!

April 18, 2013 5:05 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I'm so glad I found this site because it is so uplifting and informative. I have been told that Buspar takes a while to start working but after a few days of 10 mg/day I can tell a difference in my attitude. My neuro in FL that handles my SCA said to take this because it has helped with balance issues that SCA patients have. Haven't noticed yet but will see. I do deal with some dizziness in the morning after taking it but that's it. I love it so far. Thanks everyone.

April 5, 2013 9:59 AM

Review by 40somethingfemale (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: This is my second day on Buspirone, 10 mg, twice a day (one every 12 hours) and already it has calmed my anxiety tremendously! I plan on continuing with Buspirone on a "need to basis," like when a major event arises in my life. Ihave obsessive compulsive disorder with high blood pressure so when major event occur in my life, my mind runs 80 miles an hour trying to plan and manage everything down to the last detail. Then, I find myself overwhelmed and I have anxiety attacks simply because I can't do it all by myself! Thanks to Buspirone, I'm calm and collective and I can think more thoroughly and more effectively. My main side effects so far would be light-headedness and sleepiness, which is way better than anxiety attacks!

April 4, 2013 10:04 AM

Review by Lisa Ahearn:

For Anxiety: The first few days of taking buspirone I experienced an increase in irritability and anger. I've been on it for about 2 months now at a steady 10mg twice a day and it definitely takes the edge off. The first few weeks on this dosage I wasn't having panic attacks, I was more laid back about things, but now I feel like either my anxiety is growing, or my body has become used to it and its not working as much as I'd like. I'm noticing the irritability again. I've had headaches every day. The dizziness shortly after taking medicine doesn't bother me it goes away after a few minutes. And I like that I feel functional and not like a robot. It definitely works, but maybe I need a higher dose.

April 1, 2013 1:34 PM

Review by Swedish77:

For Anxiety: Saved my life.. so thankful. Noticed that it's important to take Buspirone either on an empty stomach or with food. Otherwise you will probably notice dizziness for 15-20 minutes. My mind is completely calm and you feel normal. Life is wonderful!

March 23, 2013 4:09 AM

Review by Dino78 (taken for less than 1 month):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I have been on many anti depressants and anxiety meds in the past but this one is the right one for me. It is the only medication that I have taken that does not cause erection problems. While it is no miracle pill, it does take the edge off and allows me to deal with things without anger. I am actually able to see the world in a positive light and not be so negative all of the time. I believe I am taking half of the 5mg pill three times a day. I was supposed to be up to a pill and a half three times a day by now, but stronger doses make me feel medicated and I do not like that. I am perfectly happy with the results and my ability to control my anxiety problems. My anxiety is still there, but controlling it is key to long term health.

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2013 9:39 AM

Review by knittygal (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Worked well for anxiety but got brain zaps and near constant headaches on 10mg/3xday. Didn't realize how well it worked for physical symptoms of anxiety until I started weening to try a different medicine. Now that I stopped tight chest, racing heart, and sweating are all back. Don't want to leave the house, very irritable. Doc is switching me to doxepin.

February 20, 2013 9:13 PM

Review by Linda J.:

For Panic Disorder: I had been suffering from anxiety/panic disorder for over a year. I could not do any of the SSRI's at all. My Dr. put me on (BuSpar) Buspirone 15-mg twice a day. No side effects at all. I feel like a brand new person. I feel so clam and relaxed. I sleep peacefully soundly and wonderful every night and have great dreams. I also have noticed it gives me energy during the day and I have no appetite for food. If you're thinking of switching to (BuSpar) Buspirone, please talk to your Dr. about putting you on it. You will be glad you did.

February 15, 2013 3:34 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: I'm 31yr old fem, and have been taking Buspar for anxiety/panic for three months, and have decided to discontinue. It took roughly 3 weeks before I noticed a difference. I am slower to irritate, less agitated, and can better manage the constant nagging sensation of anxiety. I've been sleeping better, but really require a full night's sleep or else I'm drowsy all day. And I've been more at ease with new people. These changes have been certainly been positive but minimal. Lately, every day, 2x's a day about 20 mins after my dose (10mg @ 2/day) I would get a ringing headache, body shocks, and dizziness or nausea. I thought this would go away, but it hasn't, and it is getting to the point that my anxiety level is increasing.

February 13, 2013 6:09 PM