Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine

Also known as: Adderall, Adderall XR

Learn more about Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine.

Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine review summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Narcolepsy.

Reviews for Amphetamine/dextroamphetamine to treat Narcolepsy

Review by we3reeds (taken for 10 years or more):

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy 1990. They started me on Ritalin, which did not work for me. Then Dexedrine. It did work but caused a lot of tension in neck shoulder back in the evenings. Then Provigil, Nuvigil. I have settled on Adderall, it wakes me in the morning and keeps me awake in the afternoon. It's a God send.

February 13, 2015 4:56 AM

Review by Seigfred (taken for less than 1 month):

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): I gave Adderall an 8 out of 10 because it is very effective, anyone who is narcoleptic (which is why I use this medicine) will stay awake completely. Depending on the dosage you can stay awake anywhere from 5 hours to even more than 12. The down side to this medicine, and let me be clear that it is just with my experience is that it can make you jittery and excited. It also gave me "false confidence" and just overall made me more outgoing than I usually. Also I found that the first time I used it it gave me quite a high, which I eventually got used to. After several days I started hallucinating things and got paranoid. There are definitely some psychological side effects even more than the ones that I've experienced.

December 30, 2014 11:32 AM

Review by WhiteBirch (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): I thought Nuvigil was good, but Adderall is amazing. It helps me feel almost human, again. Not only does Adderall keep me awake, but it clears up some of the mental fog caused by Narcolepsy. Cataplexy is also not as severe when I'm on Adderall. I can finally focus at work, I have enough energy to take care of myself and my family, and I'm doing so well at work that I got two raises in the last 3 months! The irony is that you have to be well-rested for it to work; otherwise, it does absolutely nothing. I have also started devoloping a tolerance so it starts to wear off after about 3-4 hours, but I take another dose and it gets me through the rest of the day.

December 17, 2014 10:36 AM

Review by copeyswife (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): Worked very well but only downfall some days made me super anxious and jittery. Overall cant wait to get back on it for some energy.

September 30, 2014 6:44 PM

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): Does not work well for me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2014 1:22 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): Insurance didn't cover the Extended Release (XR) form, so I was taking multiple regular Adderall pills a day. It was pretty obvious that they worked, but over time, I developed a tolerance that made me need to take one every 2-3 hours, rather than the standard 4-6. Only side effect was feet so cold, they tingled.

April 28, 2014 10:23 AM

Review by AwakeWill:

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): It makes a huge difference in my day! I hate having to take something everyday to stay awake and alert but better then living in the fog I was in the past 8 years of my life (6 of which I didn't even notice they were side effects of something bigger haha.) Things you may notice while taking Adderall with narcolepsy, 1.You are stop being a shut in 2. You actually start calling your friends to do something instead of getting harassed till you finally cave and do something. 3. You're better at work and all of a sudden care about your job. 4. You are grinding your jaw. 5. Stop grinding your jaw. and finally 6. Work with your doctor for the right dosage! There will be a bit of dancing between cracked out and half asleep till you find it.

April 14, 2014 6:11 AM

Review by Elakshi (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): I was first prescribed Adderall XR 15mg in 2009. I was so fatigued that I was falling asleep driving to work. This medication helped immediately; I took it first thing in the morning, and it would give me a burst of energy. All of a sudden I was able to focus, and I stayed calm and rational amidst the craziest chaos at work. I absolutely loved the way I was when I took Adderall. I always took a break from it on weekends to prevent my body from building a tolerance too soon. That it would happen I had no doubt about; but I wanted to enjoy it as long as possible. (If you know the movie "Limitless", then you know what I'm talking about). I was still me, just better. Alas, I had to up my dosage to get the same effect. Now at 60mg.

December 22, 2013 1:47 PM

Review by Joseg123:

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): In school I could not focus and went through bad moments that I will never forget. Writing this I can still picture all of those who made disgusting gestures because I would leave group projects 1/2 way. Through high school I was in the verge of failing, although, my commitment and dedication to reach the dream of going to college, kept me strong.

November 17, 2013 9:57 PM

Review by Biote (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): I've been on adderall for six months for narcolepsy. It has given me a life back. It has helped my severe daytime sleepiness by about 80 %. There are times if I'm really really tired that I can tell the med doesnt help. But mostly it is excellent. The only thing I don't like about it is the crash after the med wears off. I can tell a huge difference. And it is also disappointing that I have to take meds to stay awake each day. But overall, I would say I'm very thankful for it.

November 11, 2013 12:47 AM

Review by AleeD (taken for less than 1 month):

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): I just started Adderall 10 mg for a new diagnosis of narcolepsy. This is the first time I have ever stayed awake through a movie, and been able to sit and read without nodding off. I am still my normal, calm self. But I just do not have the compulsion to sleep. Very helpful.

July 30, 2013 1:35 AM

Review by Kld (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): For 5 years I suffered from hypothyroidism which turned out to be Hashimotos. Which I take thyroid (natural thyroid medication). Once my thyroid was under control myself and doctor were confused on why I was so tired. I would have seizures when I was completely exhausted. Very scary! They thought I had panic attacks but not so! The seizures were all part narcolepsy which apparently can mask under hypothyroidism. I now take 30mg of Adderall XR a day. It is not enough but just really happy I can get through the day without feeling like someone has given me a bottle of sleeping pills. Adderall is my wonder pill and no side effects.

July 22, 2013 1:52 PM

Review by AmyR:

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): I have taken Adderall XR for YEARS now. I have MS & as a result have hypersomnia, which is very similar to narcolepsy. For years & years, I took Provigil alone for this & it was great. But eventually, Provigil was no longer enough to keep me awake. My doctor tried me on Adderall XR & it was amazing. I was able to stay awake ALL day long & felt great. I never had any real jitteriness. It does make me have almost no appetite at all, ever. Mostly I just don't think about eating, it doesn't really occur to me & when I do eat, I can't eat much. But, having been obese most of my life...this hasn't exactly been a problem!

July 4, 2013 8:41 AM

Review by Heff84 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): Adderall in my opinion is a "Miracle"! I am prescribed the (IR) 30mg strength, three times a day. Adderall I feel has significantly improved my quality of life.

July 3, 2013 1:36 AM

Review by grizley:

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and narcolepsy 15 years ago, I have been on every formulation of Ritilan there is, but Adderall XR works the best for me.

April 26, 2013 3:06 PM

Review by driftwoodms14 (taken for 10 years or more):

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): I could not get out of bed without Adderall. I have been taking it since 2000. However, I developed a severe spinal disease, fibro, and arthritis. I had to give in to taking pain meds which interfered with my Adderall dosage. I currently take 40mg. I have found this dose ineffective for the past several years. My family doctor prescribes my meds and doesn't feel comfortable titrating up to 60mg. I weigh 335mg as well. I am frustrated and feel exhausted most of the day.

March 30, 2013 7:49 PM

Review by Sojrn (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I fall between fatigue and narcolepsy. I've been this way for about 15 years. Thought I was just a sleepy person. Then my doctor suggested I might have sleep apnea. So I went to a sleep specialist and had the test. Mild results (6x an hour). She put me on a C-PAP machine and after a few months there was no improvement in my EDS. First there was Provigil which made me fall asleep a few hours after taking. Then on to Nuvigil which wasn't strong enough. Tried Ritalin next and the crash was too severe. At my suggestion the doctor prescribed dextroamphetamine salts and it has helped immensely. No more falling asleep at traffic lights, at the office or after work (no more strain on my marriage). I take 2x 30mg a day with zero side effects.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2012 11:05 PM

Review by artmuffin (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): I am a 69 year old female who has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since I was in my 30's. The CFS came long after the FMS but Adderall 20 mg 3 x's daily has made my life bearable, enabled me to stay awake, boosted my energy (I also have Hashimoto's disease - hypothyroid) and has provided me with a feeling of normalcy. I see my doctor every 3 months for blood work and medical care. Got a new script today but insurance wants a pre-authorization which will take 3-4 days and I am out of this medication. Guess it will be a sleepy weekend coming up! Adderall rocks!

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2012 11:36 AM

Review by Katie126:

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): I fall asleep at the drop of a hat and experience sleep paralysis. There are times I know I'm supposed to be awake and I simply can't wake up. Adderall helps so much. I've taken it for about a year, however, and it is wearing off. I hope to find a substitute that will help me stay awake soon.

April 10, 2012 1:18 PM

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): My life was sleep before I started adderall taking 15 mg twice a day and I'm still tired but not sleeping like I was before. Only been taking it for a few days but has helped a lot. I only slept and worked and sadly that was my life for 5 years.

March 30, 2012 9:51 PM

Review by mrsstomper:

Have only needed to take 1/2 of daily dosage, this medicine works!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2012 4:07 PM

Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): Lots of side effects - Keeps me awake when taking 50mg a day - makes it hard to go to sleep at night, involuntary muscle movement at times, kills the sex life.

November 30, 2011 3:04 AM

Review by Cilla's pain:

I have severe chronic pain from back, neck and knee injuries. Now fibromyalgia, which is a living hell. I began to have what I call sleep attacks where I would just fall asleep; reading, standing, talking on the phone (embarrassing). I fell asleep standing in the dinning room and hit my face on the table. That was when I went on this medicine. Has helped tremendously. Have had a couple of attacks on it. But very few. I can drive without fear. What a blessing. I am worried about side effects. I don't want to be dependent on this medicine. But I need it, so I follow instructions and pray.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2011 12:39 AM

Review by Mitzy69:

Adderall XR (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine): I always been tired a lot (chronic fatigue), but symptoms worsen after my son had a near death auto accident, he was only 4. I took antidepressants for 8 years. It worsened my Chronic Fatigue. I was a mess, everything was falling apart around me. I did research on Adderall and talked to my Doctor. I take 40mg a day, I can't explain how much better I feel. I have control of my life again. I have energy to care for my family for the first time in years. Side effect is irritable at night, insomnia but the longer you are on it and the earliest you take it doesn't cause too much problems sleeping.

September 11, 2011 2:29 PM

Review by aslhytrny:

I am 27 yrs old. I've been on Adderall since 21. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy, cataplexy, sleep paralysis, sleep hallucinations, etc. I have such scary dreams, lose my muscle control and fall asleep out of nowhere. After trying several things Adderall was the ONLY thing that eased my symptoms. BUT it is hard to take as directed. And running out makes for a bad time. Running out throws me into more frequent and severe sleep fits. I also get prescribed hydrocodone. I don't promote people to take pain medicines but Adderall does make my body/muscles tense and sore at times. So it takes the pain and edge off the negative symptoms of the Adderall. Dry mouth is also a negative symptom but I'm used to it now.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate