User Reviews for Adderall XR

Learn more about Adderall XR.

Narcolepsy 6 reviews 15 medications

ADHD 112 reviews 31 medications

8.6
Summary of Adderall XR reviews 118 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Adderall XR

For ADHD "I started out taking the regular Adderall version, but it didn't last long and made me have horrible crash periods and steroid like rages. So far, the Adderall XR seems to be working better, but it does reduce my appetite substantially. I've had to start taking weight gain supplements to ensure that I maintain my proper weight. If I miss a dose, I feel pretty lethargic and extremely sleepy. However, the medication has allowed me to read and focus better than I ever have, and I seem more motivated. I'm also able to talk better with others, and my social skills have definitely improved."

Rufio03 August 12, 2015

For ADHD "I absolutely love Addreall. It helps me to complete my tasks and I have no problem skipping it when I don't have any projects or paper work to do. I don't ever think about it when I skip it. I believe it is a very great medicine for someone who is having a difficulty to focus on one task. Adderall has a bad reputation only because people abuse it. If you overeat, overdo or overtake anything - it will cause harm to your body. So it's not a surprise some people are getting addicted to Adderall. You have to UNDERSTAND why do you need it and why are you taking it. If you don't abuse it, if you take prescribed amount per day and if you skip it on weekends or whenever, you will be perfectly fine and it will serve you well."

AK4747 July 23, 2015

For ADHD "This medication is to my brain like glasses are to a pair of eyes with poor, blurry vision. Personally, this medication is what works best for me. It isn't perfect, but it is better than nothing. I have ADHD inattentive type, and I also have social anxiety. I understand, this is a stimulant so of course it will make my anxiety worse. But I feel more motivated and more confident in myself and my abilities. I resent taking this everyday, but I make sure to take this prior to school or work or any day I need to deal with responsibilities. Also, take it after you eat breakfast if you can. For me, the benefits outshine the negatives."

Morgashporg (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2015

For ADHD "I take Adderall XR 30mg 1 time per day, when I started I worked great as long as I took it before 12:00 noon, afternoon I was up all night, after about 3 months, I could not tell that I had taken anything, my Dr. added 1mg intuitive it seems to work ok, I am about to the 7th month and back to I can't tell weather or not I take it. I do not have a past of any dependencies or addictions (except nicotine) so I am not sure where I will go from here. All in all it is a good Med for ADHD. The only side effects are dry mouth and grinding my teeth as it wears off."

Jabwoods (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 12, 2015

For ADHD "Worked perfectly for the first week (10mg), my mind was completely clear and I felt almost no anxiety whatsoever. Second week(20mg) started feeling suicidal, worst i've ever felt in my entire life. Parents thought it was out of character, I couldn't stop crying- worst emotional pain i've ever felt (I've never felt like that before). Was convinced it wasn't the medication, but felt better as soon as I stopped taking it. If you're feeling this way while being on it, it's probably the medication... I was convinced that it wasn't until I started seeing that a couple other people had similar reactions. 19/female"

ggggg888 (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2015

For ADHD "Wellbutrin did nothing for me and Strattera caused erectile dysfunction and significant sleep disorders. My doctor slowly increased my Adderall XR dosage until I hit the "sweet spot" which was 30mg for me. 40mg made me a little jittery and anxious. In the correct dosage Adderall has improved my quality of life with no side effects. I should note that if I miss a day I am fine but any longer without it and I become lethargic - so remember to refill your prescription as soon as you can so you don't run out. I take the generic of this drug and it works great."

CPDenver (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 28, 2015

For ADHD "My son had been on Adderall XR (25mg) for well over 6 years and it has really worked well for him. I would say the only side effect that was difficult to deal with was the lack of appetite. However, after hitting the teenage years it has fallen back into normal teenage young man trying to eat everything lol. On a very good note: my son finished his 8 th grade year with A's & B's as well as a 3.4 GPA and is now looking forward to attending high school in the fall."

Pleased mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 5, 2015

For ADHD "I am only giving this a 7 because it definitely made a change in my ability to concentrate for long periods but it was not a pleasant experience. As soon as I took the medicine it would make me feel exhausted and tired. I would have to fight the tiredness to get any benefit out of it. By the end of the day I was drained. It also made me extra agitated. I couldn't focus on more than one thing at a time so when someone would distract me I would get very irritated. I also tensed up my muscles and had bad neck/bad pain. I switched to Ritalin but that was crap too. They put me on Vyvanse and it feels similar but less intense than adderall so we shall see."

Dee V (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2015

For ADHD "I have ADD caused by major depressive disorder and stimulants have done wonders for me! However, Adderall makes me feel very anxious and panicky, and I don't like it at all. It lasts a long time and sometimes I can't sleep at night because of it. Overall, it's an alright choice. Might switch back to Vyvanse"

cjoy79 (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2015

For ADHD "It made me more nervous than usual. It is less stimulating than Adderall IR. I decided to switch to Ritalin."

Parker2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2015

For ADHD "I started it a few days ago. It helps me stay focused and less anxious in public situations."

Poolman56 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2015

For ADHD "This medicine is great for adhd but does not work for everyone in fact it made me feel angry,increased anxiety I've been dealing with and can kind of depress you i recommend adderall xr (even tho i stopped it) because ADHD is challenging and this medication made me very focused, like robot focused it was great! but i had to switch to prozac cause it gave me worse anxiety, if you have a problem with anxiety i don't recommend it,there are plenty your doctor can prescribe that don't have as much side effects. but all in out this medicine is great for treating ADHD good luck!"

Melvin am (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2015

For ADHD "Had the best results from Adderall XR. So smooth that I could concentrate and felt like the most normal person with absolutely no highs and lows. I could sit and concentrate for hours, go to sleep like normal people and wake up like other adults. Insurance quit paying for it and had to switch to regular Adderall."

brain never stops (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 29, 2015

For ADHD "The extended release tablets enable me to maintain a normal functioning rate, without crashing."

JHahn (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2015

For ADHD "I've been taking Adderall XR 25mg going on my 4 month. It has helped me tremendously! I'm more focused and alert now. I don't feel as drawn out like I used too. I'm also on anxiety medicine taking both helps balance myself. I have a hard time wanting to eat since I've started taking Adderall, a lot of times I have to force myself to eat, but it has helped me lose 25 pounds!!! I find myself grinding my teeth a lot not sure why, but that's the worse side effect I experience from taking it. I feel more healthy now than I have in a long time, I will continue taking this medication."

Jojobabe11 December 9, 2014

For ADHD "I love it, it helps me succeed in subjects/ work tasks that I have struggled with so much in the past which has affected my self esteem. I have been on it for 5 years. I take 20 mg twice a day, and feel a need to go up a bit for the dosage, it's been a while and doesn't feel as effective. "

LA4589 November 30, 2014

For ADHD "I have been on everything from Concerta to Wellbutrin to Vyvanse. Next to Vyvanse, Adderall XR has been the most helpful. If I take it any later than noon, I will absolutely have insomnia. I also have to be careful about the foods I eat, and especially try to avoid my multi-vitamin in the morning (because of the citric acid). It doesn't decrease my appetite, sometimes I feel like it increases it, but it prevents me from binge-eating. I take 20mg Adderall XR with 25mg of Zoloft and though it helps with my OCD tendencies that Adderall is likely to cause, I don't think the combination works as well as Adderall XR by itself. I will also occasionally have heart palpitations, but that's usually a sign that I need to limit my coffee intake!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2014

For ADHD "My 10 y/o daughter used this medication for several months. Was not as effective as a previous medication (Vyvanse). Did not last that long (effect wore off mid day) and caused her to have an increased heart rate daily. In addition, her entire mood changed. She became uninterested in even her favorite things, almost like a depression, and she also became extremely moody. Very irritable and easily aggitated and upset."

ChristineMh October 29, 2014

For ADHD "Helps me 100 time over to stay focused at work and home. I also seem alot more alert at home"

shrtybby (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 29, 2014

For ADHD "My 8 year old daughter has ADD, she is not really hyper, just has an attention deficit. We started her on Focalin, and that turned her into a clingy, bashful, quiet kid. I can't say if it really helped her in school; I never saw an improvement. Then we switched to Adderall 10mg XR this past summer, and she is doing well. SHE even told me she liked this medicine because she can focus now. She still needs us to keep an eye on her but she is much better than she was."

Jen P (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2014

For ADHD "I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid because I was our typical class clown that didn't do anything in class. My parents took me to the doctor and I was prescribed Adderall and it did what is was suppose to but I absolutely hated because instead of playing at recess I would just read a book, so I quit taking it. Fast forward to freshmen year in college I was completely overwhelmed with school so I went back got tested and they put me on Vyvanse, it did the job but I was so mad when I was on it, they switched be to Adderall. It does exactly what it is supposed to do, make you productive. I went from a 3.0 to a 3.8 from this medicine. But make sure you eat, if you are on it your body will not tell you you're hungry."

chrishaw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2014

For ADHD "I was prescribed Adderall XR for lack of focus and attention. After being on the medicine (10 mg) for 4 days I felt very confused and had trouble talking. I was stumbling over my words and second guessing myself. My appetite was altered (as expected) but I made sure I ate frequently. I also noticed I was very impulsive and short tempered, more than usually. I just wasn't my normal self on this medicine. I'm glad it has worked for many people, but it did not agree with me."

Tony V July 11, 2014

For ADHD "I had unknowingly suffered from ADHD-PI for my entire life. I was constantly in trouble for losing my things, not paying attention in class, forgetting conversations, being unable to understand conversations, so on and so forth. My life was a wreck. My parents constantly told me that I was lazy and worthless. After I joined the military, I was diagnosed with ADHD and Adderall was the first and only medication that I was put on. I went from being the clumsy loser to the office hero. I recently started college and so far, I'm getting straight A's. This medication makes me cool, logical and focused. I took off a star because it makes me forget to eat sometimes and that makes me tired."

SuccessStory (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 17, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "Having been recently diagnosed with ADD at the age of 31, I would have to say that stimulant therapy has been a God send! My doctor first prescribed Ritalin-SR, and I felt it was not as effective as it could be, so she changed my prescription to Adderall-XR 20 mg and I feel it is working. I feel more focused at work with better concentration. I don't procrastinate as often as I have (my entire life), but one unexpected result of the therapy is I no longer feel irritable and short-tempered! I also don't feel frustrated as much as I used too. My staff and co-workers have noticed the difference and have told me they don't feel the need to "walk on egg-shells" around me! So in summation, Adderall is certainly doing the trick!"

Brimanny (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2014

For ADHD "I'm so much more focused at work and home. But I noticed, if I don't eat, I'm a space cadet. Eating is very important, otherwise you're just wasting a good medicine. I also have ALOT more energy, By Far! I work the overnight shift at work, and it helps very much. Thanks Adderall."

Gilmoregirl April 14, 2014