User Reviews for Focalin

Learn more about Focalin.

ADHD 33 reviews 62 medications

7.3
Auditory Processing Disorder 1 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Focalin reviews 34 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Focalin

Review by KarPete:

For ADHD: We started our 8 year old son (then) on Methyphenidate I think 10mg. Then went up to 20 mg. That was disastrous after a few months with the tantrums, weight loss and anorexia. We had him switched to Vyvanse 20 mg per day for a few months. Anorexia continued and after those few months, he became yellowish skinned, almost jaundiced. He got toxic obviously so we detoxed him with some fish oil supplements and some other herbal remedies. About 2 weeks later we put him on Focalin XR 5mg. His focus is starting to dwindle now that school started. We added the Focalin 2.5mg to the morning regimen to boost the dosage a little faster (that one is faster absorbed also). Have not heard anything negative from the teacher so we are crossing our fingers.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by gabbyc2013:

For ADHD: I have been on Focalin XR 10 mg for a week now and it seems to be pretty good. I have ADHD/ADD and I was on Vyvanse but it made me very moody and also made me drop 20 pounds in two months. Also noticed impulses on that medication. Focalin seems to be different I feel a bit zombish but I feel its not an issue. And I also have somewhat of an appetite. I feel much more focused.

March 29, 2014 2:22 AM

Review by NB9217 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For ADHD: My 6.5 year old son has been taking this medicine for over a year. A few months after taking it, we switched him to Ritalin but the Ritalin made his behavior crazy. I don't have much to complain about this medicine. Any ADHD medication is going to make your child zombie-like. My son takes 10MG XR in the morning and I can literally see the switch in his personality in about 10 minutes. He is supposed to take 5mg non extended release after school, however, I hardly give that to him anymore. I sometimes break the 5mg pill in half and just have him take 2.5mg to focus on his homework, if I see him struggling. We just had his medication reduced to 5MG in the morning, 2.5 after lunch and 2.5 later in the afternoon - waiting to see how this works out.

January 31, 2014 3:49 PM

Review by Stardustbloom:

For ADHD: My 10 yr old son was diagnosed with ADHD 4 years ago. He has been taking Focalin 10mg for 2.5 years and it has been wonderful for him. He has steady good grades and his focus improved greatly. He only takes this during school days, not during weekends nor during the summer months. He understands it helps him even at 10 yrs. It is important, at least for our family, to ensure he's part of the treatment plan and feel in control of this as well. Also, my son communicates with us on how it makes him feel and the only worry I have when he's taking this is his loss of appetite or not eating enough. So we always have a good breakfast before school starts and he takes the pill on his own (of course I watch from a distance.

June 9, 2013 2:46 AM

Review by My 8 yr old son (taken for less than 1 month):

For ADHD: My 8 yr old has been on the meds for 3 days now. His teachers say he's doing great at school and he's a lot more focused and less compulsive. BUT... He complains of being tired the entire time, stomach pains, headaches. I give him the medicine at 7:00 a.m. By 4:00 its starting to wear off and he seems to be coming off a high. At moments hes pure goofy almost to the point I say psychotic moments. He also talks to himself a lot. I don't know if I should give it a week or 2 to get in his system or stop it. I understand he needs better focus and less compulsive moments at school but I love him more than to harm him with medicines.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2013 11:51 AM

Review by jesawesome:

For ADHD: My 6.5 yr old son takes 5mg XR on school days only.has been on it for 30 school days. He does great in school and it appears a miracle help to him. It does seem to wear off too early so I will talk to the Dr. About that next week. When he comes home from school and we try to do his homework it is a nightmare. He has a very mild case of ADHD. He eats well so far. He sleeps better and longer now than he did before starting the medicine. But a few weeks ago he told me he feels his heart beating fast and pains in his left side in physical education. Took him for a complete cardio. Check with EkG, ultrasound and all kinds of other tests. He checked out in perfect condition. So we will keep an eye out and see.

December 28, 2012 9:28 AM

For ADHD: This was the 6th medication that my 6 yo son tried. Loved Daytrana, but the rashes were terrible and it took forever to kick in. Hated Focalin. He had no better of an appetite on it and most importantly, even though his symptoms were not resolved, he was a zombie on the lowest dosage - hyperfocused, irritable, NO sense of humor (and this is the kid that was always called "a one man show" in school). On to number 7 now....

April 13, 2012 11:02 AM

For ADHD: My 9-year-old takes Focalin XR during the school day and Focalin for a kick up at night for extra-curriculars. For us, its been great. He had been on Adderall but became negative, dramatic and started threatening self-harm. When you hide knives from your 6-year-old, its a problem! He's in the gifted program now but has always been a good student. All conversations with teachers started out "He's so smart but..." We don't hear the "but" anymore. We just started taking him off the meds more. Which can drive us crazy but we noticed that he was always on the taller side. Now he's one of the shorter kids and he's underweight. He doesn't eat while medicated so we're hoping he'll grow more if we take a break.

March 19, 2012 8:22 AM

Review by stokleysmom:

For ADHD: My 10 year old daughter had her doctors appointment on Friday. She started Focalin 5mg on Saturday. Last might, Sunday, she was complaining of stomach pains. And again before school this morning. I gave her some tums and cereal, and I'm hoping for the best. The doctor said that the stomach pains will subside in about a week. She's not really "zombied", but it seems as though there's a lot less talking. She's not ADHD, just ADD. I am worrying very much. I hope that the Focalin equals out in her system soon.

January 23, 2012 7:57 AM

For ADHD: I'm not impressed with this medication. My daughter was having some issues with Vyvanse, so her doctor put her on this. Unfortunately she's back to her old self, completely out of control, taking hours to do a 15 minute assignment, playing with her paper, staring off into space, not focusing, etc. First thing tomorrow I'm calling her doctor and putting her back on Vyvance. Last thing I want is for her grades to slip, she's already struggling enough as it is to keep them up. The nail biting from Vyvanse is just a minor side effect that we can deal with for now, otherwise she'll fail 3rd grade entirely.

October 4, 2011 6:37 PM

For ADHD: My 7.5 year old son has been taking 10mg Focalin for nearly a year. Immediately it was a "miracle" for us. He had good behavior marks in school, could finish his work and we were getting along better at home too. About a month ago it seemed like maybe he had outgrown his dose, we upped it to 15mg. Immediately again, great results. But, we spent 4 hours in the ER tonight getting 2 EKGs & xrays because of his chest pains and irregular heartbeat. Final diagnosis: stop taking Focalin. As much as I loved the behavior and focus improvements he had from the drug, I love him more and can't risk damaging his heart.

September 27, 2011 9:48 PM

Review by Taylor Le Bon:

For ADHD: 37-year old female, 10 mgs about 4.30 AM; prescribed three days ago; used for ADD-like symptoms associated with Asperger's. I feel more comfortable in my skin, focus lasts for more than 12 hours. Only problems: cannot eat apples without getting spacey for about a half-an-hour (used to eat them to boost focus and energy when my Strattera wore off after four hours), and have to really fight to focus during monthly cycle. However, no other complaints, yet. Also on Lisinopril (20 mgs) for blood-pressure and Metoprolol (betamblocker to reduce betawaves for anxiety; 25 mgs). Concerta XR was good too and had the same effect.

July 22, 2011 6:06 PM

Review by Helpless Mom:

For ADHD: My daughter is 9. She has been taking Focalin for 1 year now and she is alarmingly thin. The doctor suggests that we should just feed her more food when she wants to eat. My daughter has always been a thin girl but now she looks sick, but on the up side this medication works well with her ADHD. She can focus and she even has friends now that she is not hitting people. My daughter is actually pretty smart but you would have never knew this before Focalin.

July 20, 2011 12:18 AM

For ADHD: My 7 yr old has been on Focalin for 5 weeks with no side effects. His teacher noticed a difference in him on the FIRST day which amazed me. I didn't even have a chance to tell her he was taking it and she commented that he was more focused, better behaved, etc. So far, it's been great!

May 13, 2011 9:33 PM

Review by Itznuthin:

For ADHD: It is essentially the only medicine that has been prescribed for me for ADD, so I cannot compare it to others. However, I feel it is very effective. I have found greater success varying the strength over time rather than staying with a single dosage level.

January 26, 2011 7:09 PM

For ADHD: My daughter (8 yrs old) started taking Focalin 5 weeks into this school year. Her teacher agrees that it is working wonderfully for her. She is focused and her grades are great. She was struggling to read, to make it through a regular school day, to do homework and to get along. We asked her how she feels on Focalin and she said " I feel so much better". She is on 15 mg once daily and it is SUPER.

January 11, 2011 10:50 AM

For ADHD: My son has been on focalin for this school year. It does calm him but his teachers say it does not help him focus. He sit at his desk and holds his pencil but will not do the work.

December 25, 2010 12:07 AM

Review by christians dad:

For ADHD: I put my 6 yr old on this, 5mgs about 2 weeks ago. He is at school the whole time he is on it. He takes it at 7 am and by 4 when he gets home he is back to his hyper self. I can tell a little bit of difference though. Hhe has no reactions that I can tell.

November 27, 2010 10:40 AM

For ADHD: My son started Focalin 10mg about 3 weeks ago. He does great in school but I have noticed when Focalin wears off his moods explode. He gets aggravated at the drop of a pin. He has also told me his stomach hurts all the time.

October 13, 2010 11:36 PM

Review by plainfieldmom:

For ADHD: My 10-year son has ADHD (combined) and ODD. Focalin XR so far is the only medication that works on my son's inattentiveness. However, on 15 mg he was very moody and glassy eyed. Found out later that he was overmedicated. What I didn't like about Focalin was that he became very quiet almost Zombie like. Also, the medication did not last in his system long enough. He stopped takes Focalin XR over a year now and has been on Vyvanse (70mg.) I am considering putting him back on Focalin with a lower dose.

September 11, 2010 11:03 AM

Review by indygrrl:

For ADHD: 38 year oid female - within three days of taking this medication (1/day at lowest dosage) I was suicidal. Depression, but NO previous history of suicidal tendencies. There were no other changes in my life other than this medication. I recovered quickly after stopping taking Focalin. I also had strong negative reaction to Vyvanse. Doc said there was something unusual about how my body metabolizes this particular medications. Concerta has done well for me, considering Ritalin SR due to cost.

May 4, 2010 12:44 PM

Review by adamsmom4281:

For ADHD: My 9 year old son has been on various medicines for ADHD since he was 6. We just switched to Focalin 10 mg about 2 weeks ago. We are noticing that by about 1:00 in the afternoon it is completely out of his system and there is no focus. We are going to try a booster dose of 5 mg in the afternoon. I'm going to talk to our doctor about lowering his morning dose because he feels shaky and tired, which I thought would have subsided by now. His focus is terrific but I wonder if we can get the same results by knocking down the dose a bit and adding the booster. Other than that, his sleep and eating habits are the same. Whew!

January 31, 2010 9:05 PM

Review by Her Mama:

For ADHD: My daughter (6 yrs old) began on Focalin (10 MG) a month ago. We noticed she suffered from no ill side effects; rather she became more "in tune" with others feelings and emotions, slept even more soundly at night, and did not have a loss of appetite. Unfortunately, it did not stay in her system long enough to get her through school and homework so her Doctor adjusted her dose (20 MG). Now she is loving it! For the first time, she is receiving high marks on her behavior at school, is able to communicate better with her friends, and (in her words) "stay focused and in control". The beauty of this, it leaves her system after about 10 hrs (she takes it at 7 am) and we are able to practice behavior modification procedures at home with her.

November 11, 2009 1:21 PM

Review by Texasmom:

For ADHD: My 9 yr old son who has ADHD and ODD has been on Focalin XR for roughly 5 months now after going through 3 other different medicines for his ADHD that produced a lot of side effects. He dropped down to 42 lbs. VERY SCARY, and he would refuse to eat, period. He also takes 1 mg of Risperdal at night. He has a very high tolerance and is given 40 mg of Focalin XR daily. This is the only drug I have found that does not affect his appetite. He eats non stop when he gets home from school until he goes to bed at night. It has calmed him down but it seems to wear off after 6 hours. Other than that, this medication is GREAT and I will continue to give it to my son.

October 6, 2009 6:46 PM

Review by blakes mom:

For ADHD: My 7 year old son has been taking Focalin for a few months now. At first all was great. Now there is a great deal of explosive behavior. We have made an appointment with a counselor to begin some 1 on 1 and family counseling.

September 17, 2009 7:24 PM