User Reviews for Focalin

Learn more about Focalin.

ADHD 44 reviews 36 medications

Auditory Processing Disorder 1 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Focalin reviews 45 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Focalin

For ADHD "This is not a joke. I literally took this medicine at 2:30pm and started having a panic attack at the library and had to leave. it is now 10:30pm and I just texted my sorority group chat asking if there was an earthquake because I literally felt the entire house shaking. My body is reacting so terribly to this medicineIi do not recommend taking this at all. Now my entire sorority thinks I am crazy."

MAConCRACK February 8, 2016

For ADHD "I have taken a number of ADHD medications starting around 6th or 7th grade to help with school. I tried Vyvanse, Concerta, Ritalin, and Focalin. Focalin by far has been my favorite. When on Focalin I could crank out work and was very effective. While many people complain about the lack of hunger you feel, this was almost a plus to me because it gave me one less thing to distract me. The only negative that I experienced was sometimes feeling detached, lonely, or on the verge of tears. They were not severe but did occur. I still loved this brand the most of all of the brands I had tried but unfortunately, our insurance stopped covering Focalin and I switched back to Ritalin which is where I am at now."

MarylandUser January 30, 2016

For ADHD "My son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6yrs old. He is 7 and in 2nd grade now. After thinking long and hard about meds for him I decided to put him on at the start of the new year. I do not like it. He takes 10 mg a day and I see no change. Things seems to be worse. Still hyper, not focused, frustrated easily, crying easily and more talkative. After a week the nurse at the dr. Office said to give it some time to work and try it for 2wks. I did and still no change. His teacher sees no improvement in school and I don't see it at home. As soon as the 2 wks was up in stopped. He complained about stomach aches and as of today his teacher notices ticks with him and I see the same thing at home. I'm done with Folican. It's not for my son."

MyAidan (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

For ADHD "Experienced zombie like state, very hostile, constant headache, felt a feeling of sadness come over me and wanted to cry randomly. I talk with my doc. who told me to decrease my dosage but I still had these effects. On to something else."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2015

For ADHD "I love how it makes you more focused on one thing. But it has too many bad things to it. First you have loss of hunger for a longer period of time. Then you get this bad stomach feeling like barely fainting or puking. Your muscles start to twitch and you annoying and hostile. I also feel like crying at random points and is pretty emberassing."

Ricky-__ December 1, 2015

For ADHD "I have no insurance and currently back in school for counseling, social worker.... lets say Human Resources. I am 34 years old, can't get insurance with parents, I'm way over 25! I clean homes and babysit to get extra cash for gas and needs and thankfully my parents have extra rooms, also luckily I have no kids. Was getting my 70mg Vyvanse meds paid all for with card, but after renewing was denied due to couldn't read Dr's last name and no proof of income..have none. Was currently taking 30mg Adderall 2x per day, Dr. wanted to try this and luckily about same price, now the Adderall is now half as much, so I must sacrifice. This medicine is by far the best medication I have found for my condition. May just have to pay more for this, best!!!"

ADD,very best med. yet! (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2015

For ADHD "My 4 yo started taking focalin today..5mg.. she is higher than a kite.. she talks incessantly.. she is licking her chin.. she is having mouth ticks..she is sweating and scratching her face and arms..her heart is beating so fast and is crying too. She will NEVER take this med again.. ADHD is easier than this. It has been nearly 6 hrs and it is still going strong. I can't get anything done for fear of taking my eyes off her. I would give it a 0 but wasn't an option."

gijoemp127 October 7, 2015

For ADHD "Im a 17 year old girl and focalin was the first medication I ever used to treat my ADHD. It was the worst! Like many others, I felt extremely anxious. I also constantly would feel unattached to the world. Even worse, it didn't even help me focus! I was too busy having overwhelming feelings of anxiety to be focused. However, I wouldn't say you shouldn't try this medication as it seems to work for others. I just know that if you feel any sense of anxiety, it's abnormal. I'm on vyvanse now and I have no problems with anxiety. Just a few minor symptoms, but it works great."

George Washington September 26, 2015

For ADHD "I am an 18 year old female with ADHD and my doctor just switched me from vyvanse 30mg to taking focalin 10mg XR and I absolutely hate it. Vyvanse worked for me but would make me bite my lip often in class which was very odd, but something I could work with...Focalin makes me socially anxious (keep in mind I am the most social and extroverted girl), jittery, and worry about random things. I am going to doctor tomorrow after taking it for 2 days and going back to vyvanse."

sugargirl66 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2015

For ADHD "I've been taking Focalin XR for the past 6 years and it worked well. This past year it hasn't worked for as long as it used to. It wears off about 1."

Sgm January 5, 2015

For ADHD "My 7yo son has had ADHD since he was a toddler. He started taking ADHD meds at the age of 3-- three months before turning 4. He was already threatened to be taken out of preschool for his behavior. He's always had an I don't care attitude, very destructive unintentionally, couldn't even sit down to watch any TV show longer than 5 minutes. We had the hardest time finding a punishment that he actually feared until a therapist gave us 1-2-3 magic to watch--it worked! We started him on Vyvanse, but he had 6 side effects from it. He got switched to Focalin as he grew he's now switched to Focalin XR and now up to 40mg in the morning and at lunch 5mg to get him through the day. We love it, but it doesn't last long."

Charis1234 December 14, 2014

For ADHD "We started our 8 year old son (then) on Methyphenidate I think 10mg. Then went up to 20 mg. That was disastrous after a few months with the tantrums, weight loss and anorexia. We had him switched to Vyvanse 20 mg per day for a few months. Anorexia continued and after those few months, he became yellowish skinned, almost jaundiced. He got toxic obviously so we detoxed him with some fish oil supplements and some other herbal remedies. About 2 weeks later we put him on Focalin XR 5mg. His focus is starting to dwindle now that school started. We added the Focalin 2.5mg to the morning regimen to boost the dosage a little faster (that one is faster absorbed also). Have not heard anything negative from the teacher so we are crossing our fingers."

KarPete October 3, 2014

For ADHD "I have been on Focalin XR 10 mg for a week now and it seems to be pretty good. I have ADHD/ADD and I was on Vyvanse but it made me very moody and also made me drop 20 pounds in two months. Also noticed impulses on that medication. Focalin seems to be different I feel a bit zombish but I feel its not an issue. And I also have somewhat of an appetite. I feel much more focused."

gabbyc2013 March 29, 2014

For ADHD "My 6.5 year old son has been taking this medicine for over a year. A few months after taking it, we switched him to Ritalin but the Ritalin made his behavior crazy. I don't have much to complain about this medicine. Any ADHD medication is going to make your child zombie-like. My son takes 10MG XR in the morning and I can literally see the switch in his personality in about 10 minutes. He is supposed to take 5mg non extended release after school, however, I hardly give that to him anymore. I sometimes break the 5mg pill in half and just have him take 2.5mg to focus on his homework, if I see him struggling. We just had his medication reduced to 5MG in the morning, 2.5 after lunch and 2.5 later in the afternoon - waiting to see how this works out."

NB9217 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 31, 2014

For ADHD "My 10 yr old son was diagnosed with ADHD 4 years ago. He has been taking Focalin 10mg for 2.5 years and it has been wonderful for him. He has steady good grades and his focus improved greatly. He only takes this during school days, not during weekends nor during the summer months. He understands it helps him even at 10 yrs. It is important, at least for our family, to ensure he's part of the treatment plan and feel in control of this as well. Also, my son communicates with us on how it makes him feel and the only worry I have when he's taking this is his loss of appetite or not eating enough. So we always have a good breakfast before school starts and he takes the pill on his own (of course I watch from a distance."

Stardustbloom June 9, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "My 8 yr old has been on the meds for 3 days now. His teachers say he's doing great at school and he's a lot more focused and less compulsive. BUT... He complains of being tired the entire time, stomach pains, headaches. I give him the medicine at 7:00 a.m. By 4:00 its starting to wear off and he seems to be coming off a high. At moments hes pure goofy almost to the point I say psychotic moments. He also talks to himself a lot. I don't know if I should give it a week or 2 to get in his system or stop it. I understand he needs better focus and less compulsive moments at school but I love him more than to harm him with medicines. "

My 8 yr old son (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2013

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "My 6.5 yr old son takes 5mg XR on school days only.has been on it for 30 school days. He does great in school and it appears a miracle help to him. It does seem to wear off too early so I will talk to the Dr. About that next week. When he comes home from school and we try to do his homework it is a nightmare. He has a very mild case of ADHD. He eats well so far. He sleeps better and longer now than he did before starting the medicine. But a few weeks ago he told me he feels his heart beating fast and pains in his left side in physical education. Took him for a complete cardio. Check with EkG, ultrasound and all kinds of other tests. He checked out in perfect condition. So we will keep an eye out and see."

jesawesome December 28, 2012

For ADHD "This was the 6th medication that my 6 yo son tried. Loved Daytrana, but the rashes were terrible and it took forever to kick in. Hated Focalin. He had no better of an appetite on it and most importantly, even though his symptoms were not resolved, he was a zombie on the lowest dosage - hyperfocused, irritable, NO sense of humor (and this is the kid that was always called "a one man show" in school). On to number 7 now...."

Anonymous April 13, 2012

For ADHD "My 9-year-old takes Focalin XR during the school day and Focalin for a kick up at night for extra-curriculars. For us, its been great. He had been on Adderall but became negative, dramatic and started threatening self-harm. When you hide knives from your 6-year-old, its a problem! He's in the gifted program now but has always been a good student. All conversations with teachers started out "He's so smart but..." We don't hear the "but" anymore. We just started taking him off the meds more. Which can drive us crazy but we noticed that he was always on the taller side. Now he's one of the shorter kids and he's underweight. He doesn't eat while medicated so we're hoping he'll grow more if we take a break."

Anonymous March 19, 2012

For ADHD "My 10 year old daughter had her doctors appointment on Friday. She started Focalin 5mg on Saturday. Last might, Sunday, she was complaining of stomach pains. And again before school this morning. I gave her some tums and cereal, and I'm hoping for the best. The doctor said that the stomach pains will subside in about a week. She's not really "zombied", but it seems as though there's a lot less talking. She's not ADHD, just ADD. I am worrying very much. I hope that the Focalin equals out in her system soon."

stokleysmom January 23, 2012

For ADHD "I'm not impressed with this medication. My daughter was having some issues with Vyvanse, so her doctor put her on this. Unfortunately she's back to her old self, completely out of control, taking hours to do a 15 minute assignment, playing with her paper, staring off into space, not focusing, etc. First thing tomorrow I'm calling her doctor and putting her back on Vyvance. Last thing I want is for her grades to slip, she's already struggling enough as it is to keep them up. The nail biting from Vyvanse is just a minor side effect that we can deal with for now, otherwise she'll fail 3rd grade entirely."

Anonymous October 4, 2011

For ADHD "My 7.5 year old son has been taking 10mg Focalin for nearly a year. Immediately it was a "miracle" for us. He had good behavior marks in school, could finish his work and we were getting along better at home too. About a month ago it seemed like maybe he had outgrown his dose, we upped it to 15mg. Immediately again, great results. But, we spent 4 hours in the ER tonight getting 2 EKGs & xrays because of his chest pains and irregular heartbeat. Final diagnosis: stop taking Focalin. As much as I loved the behavior and focus improvements he had from the drug, I love him more and can't risk damaging his heart."

Anonymous September 27, 2011

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "37-year old female, 10 mgs about 4.30 AM; prescribed three days ago; used for ADD-like symptoms associated with Asperger's. I feel more comfortable in my skin, focus lasts for more than 12 hours. Only problems: cannot eat apples without getting spacey for about a half-an-hour (used to eat them to boost focus and energy when my Strattera wore off after four hours), and have to really fight to focus during monthly cycle. However, no other complaints, yet. Also on Lisinopril (20 mgs) for blood-pressure and Metoprolol (betamblocker to reduce betawaves for anxiety; 25 mgs). Concerta XR was good too and had the same effect."

Taylor Le Bon July 22, 2011

For ADHD "My daughter is 9. She has been taking Focalin for 1 year now and she is alarmingly thin. The doctor suggests that we should just feed her more food when she wants to eat. My daughter has always been a thin girl but now she looks sick, but on the up side this medication works well with her ADHD. She can focus and she even has friends now that she is not hitting people. My daughter is actually pretty smart but you would have never knew this before Focalin."

Helpless Mom July 20, 2011

For ADHD "My 7 yr old has been on Focalin for 5 weeks with no side effects. His teacher noticed a difference in him on the FIRST day which amazed me. I didn't even have a chance to tell her he was taking it and she commented that he was more focused, better behaved, etc. So far, it's been great!"

Anonymous May 13, 2011