User Reviews for Ritalin

Learn more about Ritalin.

Narcolepsy 15 reviews 15 medications

ADHD 66 reviews 36 medications

6.8
Summary of Ritalin reviews 81 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Ritalin

For ADHD "I am an adult female. I was prescribed 10 mg once a day. My counselor advised my Behavioral Health MD to treat me for possible ADD/ADHD. I'm also taking clonopin and Ambien, which might account for my reaction- Ritalin made me sleepy and kind of depressed! I was really surprised, as I'd never heard of that reaction. Also taking Lamictal and Trileptal for bipolar. Hm.... I sure would like to know if others have this reaction, or if upping the dose would possibly make me not so depressed."

msluckey1 April 10, 2016

For ADHD "I take the generic form of Ritalin. I have actually lost weight and appetite with this medication. I also have Bipolar Depression, PTSD,social anxiety, and Borderline/Mild General Learning Disability(formerly called or known as intellectual disability or mental retardation: I use a much more updated suitable labelling of disability. I am actually too advanced and higher functioning. In some cases GLD is more proper or acceptable for me.) My medication does in fact help. I also take Vistaril. I actually had ADD/ADHD symptoms as child growing up that might have caused G.L.D., linking it to a chemical imbalance of the brain equals intellectual disturbance. So people maybe undersigned for certain conditions."

Ashley Nave April 7, 2016

For ADHD "Diagnosed in 1992 ADHD & prescribed Ritalin. Before I took Ritalin, I was forgetful, daydreamed, moody, couldn't focus for long, did soft drugs, drank alcohol, smoked cigs., and was negative minded. Now, I do none of the above. It makes me feel motivated to go to work, everyday, and I read novels from page 1 to the last page. Before, I never had the patience to read past page 1. My Doc. prescribes me 60 mg. per day. To start my day, I take 1- SR20mg. with 1-10mg; then 4hrs. later, I take 1-10mg.; then 4hrs. later I take 1-SR20mg. The problem is, after the first 8hrs., I know I need a 10mg. for the next 4hrs. But my Doc. won't prescribe me over 60mg. per day cause he thinks that is the max. per day allowed. Any suggestions?"

Beebop56 April 6, 2016

For ADHD "I have suffered from ADHD since childhood. After trying several medications, Ritalin is the only one that continues to work for me."

Howechick (taken for 10 years or more) March 24, 2016

For ADHD "I was first given Ritalin at 6 years old. Ritalin made it hard for me to sleep. Being on Ritalin made me feel nauseous. Ritalin caused tremors in my arms. Being forced to take Ritalin made me self-conscious. Ritalin increased my anxiety. My anxiety turned into panic attacks so I was prescribed with antidepressants like Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I was also prescribed with Lamictal, an anti-convulsant. For me, Ritalin was the "gateway drug.""

Sarare (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2016

For ADHD "Horrible. In my 30s going to a high demanding graduate school. Helped me early on in undergrad but now after all these years i hate it. My family gets the worse of it as i am always pissed off and irritable while on it and cant think clear without it. Its a double edged sword. Waiting for the day i can say FU to this horrible man made addiction."

Biggyb (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 16, 2016

For ADHD "I take 10 mg generic Ritalin as needed. It gets me moving and I can focus a little better. I already have hair thinning and the doc warned me that this is a known side effect for some. However, I don't know if the Ritalin contributes to my hair loss or not. For me, I need to take it about 2 hours after breakfast for it to work. Then it lasts about 4 hours. I probably need a script to take this twice a day instead of once."

wannabbetter (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2016

For ADHD "I have mixed feelings on Ritalin I am 16 years old Diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome and ADD. I started taking 20mg in the morning, After about 10 minutes I would start feeling it, i felt full of energy and moderately euphoric. I don't know if this is a "Normal" reaction but it would make me feel almost manic like. But all in all the effects were helpful! When I would usually just sit on my computer the Ritalin somehow made work enjoyable. I hated math but when on Ritalin and in school it was interesting even fun! it made everything feel positive and perfect. The reason I don't give it a 10 is because it only lasts for 3-4 hours. The comedown from this drug is quite terrible. And it gave me some annoying tics."

Anonononononnn February 1, 2016

For ADHD "I started on 10mg short acting. I'm in the process of finding something different. I'm a student and in a competitive feild studying nursing . I'm a busy person and this didn't help me in any way except for test cramming and homework. It would last about 2 hours and if I wasn't done with my work I needed to take another. Doctor said use it on an as needed basis . But I want something that will help me through the day. Help me focus on everything I need to do in the day. I can't take this short acting stuff, because when it wears off I'm nervous and I feel cloudy minded and weird. I don't want to be around people at this time because I feel off. I'm going back to the doc on Monday. I heard adderal doesn't have the nervousness sideeffects"

Student 1982 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

For ADHD "This medicine worked well . I didn't have that many side effects. I took adderall and this one was much better ."

Tigereye100 January 31, 2016

For ADHD "I've been on and off this medication for a few years now. I have mixed feelings towards it. The first 30 minutes to an hour of taking it , I feel a rush and a feeling of I can do anything. That rush motivates me to go to the gym actually. After the rush is gone I feel more focused and alert. After the alerteness has warn off I feel moody and irritable. I'm very aware it's the medication making me on edge and try to control it. I get a bit headachy sometimes and it bothers my stomach from time to time. Always hungry? Not on this medication. Appetite gone, at least for a while until the next pill. Make sure to eat! I would say this medication is addictive and would not recommend it to anyone that has an addiction problem."

DeeDoubt November 25, 2015

For Narcolepsy "My 15 year-old son has narcolepsy. Ritalin gave him nightmares, which he rarely had, and kept him awake half the night. Discontinued after 11 days."

NikolopoulosJ October 26, 2015

For ADHD "Taking 20mg of Ritalin three times per day for my ADHD symptoms was less effective than taking regular caffeine."

InfiniteBravery (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2015

For ADHD "Helped me a lot. Been using it for 8 months and now I'm on a 20 mg 2 times a day. I never had the power to just sit still and stay on one task. Now I'm able to actually sit down and focus on one task. I'm 16 and was diagnosed at 15. Ritalin doesn't last long enough though which is the only down side. Only lasts for 3 hours but it's good because you could get your appetite back. No side effects just a little nervous at times and head aches which are rare. Also suppressed appetite the first hour you take it."

Eddie024 July 11, 2015

For ADHD "Ritalin has changed my life for the better. Family and friends could see how happy I was. I was able to finish what I started instead of 20 progject. A fill in Dr said he would not prescribed me my Ritalin because I was 61years old that I was too old. My regular dr is out of town. I am withdrawing and very tired and depressed and I want to die or I will if. These thoughts of after life will be painless live alone and no one will find me for days"

law1234567890 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 16, 2015

For ADHD "I took it for a week. The first time I took it, I fell asleep. But it helps me with focus and thinking clearly. Still, I would go on the Adderall because it lasted longer in my system and I wasn't so sleepy."

CHuck57868959 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2015

"I'm a 58-year-old female and I've taken Ritalin for about 16 years. This drug changed my life. It wasn't until the 80s that it was determined that you could have ADD without being hyperactive. Consequently, growing up I was considered an under achiever. I dropped out of college and worked low-level management positions until I was diagnosed. My life changed when I was prescribed Ritalin. I became focused and organized. I set goals and followed a plan to achieve them. I returned to college and graduated helping me secure a wonderful job where I excel. If you have been prescribed this drug do not hesitate to try it. It's never too late to be the person you always knew you could be."

Patty442 April 23, 2015

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "Not good for me, migraines were terrible and had tongue swelling. I went on to Stratarra which I found better"

StephySunshine (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

For ADHD "Wow, I'm really surprised with the reviews of this drug. This drug should not be taken for ADHD. There are many (safer) alternatives. I don't know, maybe I was just unlucky...I was prescribed Ritalin at around the age of 5-6, and from day one I had extreme fatigue, weren't interested in any other activity but sleep. It made learning from not interesting to impossible. After a couple of months taking it I had lost a lot of weight...by that time the doctors had to take me off Ritalin. It has caused me to be underweight ever since (I'm 20 now). If your child(ren) are hyperactive you should really consider cutting of the high amounts of sugar that they are exposed to in this day of age. Don't drug them, they will soon develop in a mature being."

AaronjS (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2015

For ADHD "I have been taking Ritalin for almost 3 years & it has been great. I had ADHD in high school & college. I couldn't focus, listen to lectures, read well or study. I saw a doctor during college & he prescribed me Ritalin 20mg 3x/day (I had long days in college). I was finally able to read well, study & focus. I love learning now, I'm motivated & my mood improved. Now I take 20mg 2x/day (I graduated & go to bed earlier). It lasts around 4 hours. I never experience withdrawal or major sleepiness when I don't take it. Side effects: Difficulty sleeping if taken too close to bed time & appetite loss (minor). I highly suggest an eating schedule and drinking lots of water so you don't eat too little. I would often forget to eat in the beginning."

Lucyx007 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2015

For ADHD "Ritalin is great . I ve been taking it for 6 months now after being diagnosed with adhd. Now I can focus on my school work and stay alerted when last year I was sleeping the whole day during school and could learn anything. Marks of course have jumped from C to A as I can focus and stop doing stupid mistakes in tests that I didn t realize I was doing nor could spot due to the lack of patience. Impulses have been reduced also"

Jean batist (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2015

For ADHD "I would have to say wow! It helped me focus during school. I used to be an average student, now I have straight A's. and I don't have a problem getting anything done"

Bamagirl22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2015

For Narcolepsy "Absolutely awesome. I was suffering from Narcolepsy. Now, I am able to do anything that I want. Quiet amazing. I feel that I was always only able to achieve about 25%. Now I am around 100%."

Geoff Girdlestone (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 26, 2015

For Narcolepsy "It work great for me"

K DOG 1075 January 22, 2015

For ADHD "I love this. I've started taking it 3 years ago, it's effective for me. The best thing about this pills it makes me less-hungry, and it help me lose weight!"

hamdi9 (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2014