User Reviews for Ritalin

Learn more about Ritalin.

Narcolepsy 12 reviews 13 medications

ADHD 42 reviews 62 medications

7.1
Summary of Ritalin reviews 54 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Ritalin

Review by Morte (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: This medicine is incredible. I've had ADD for about 20 years, as long as I've been alive and college has exacerbated the condition, so my neurologist prescribed Ritalin to me. This starts to wear off after about 2.5-3.0 hours, but it works absolute MIRACLES. The whole time before, whenever I tried to work, it was like I was seeing the world through warped glasses and my mind was just foggy, like it was full of ice and cotton, but now the entire world is beautifully, wonderfully clear! This is truly an amazing medicine, but be sure to follow your doctor's orders with it, as it can have side effects.

November 20, 2013 12:29 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I'm in my mid 30's & was diagnosed with ADHD approx 4 months ago. I started on 10 mg 2x a day & am currently on 20 mg 3 x a day. I tried Daytrana, the Ritalin patch, but it made me aggressive & hungry! In less than a month I had gained 20 lbs. I'm back on the pill & so far I love it! I wish I had this back in school! Unfortunately my mom wasn't a believer in ADHD. I am calmer, can think rationally vs going straight off emotions, the racing thoughts have ceased & I can complete tasks I start now. It's also given me more motivation in my life. Before Ritalin I was ready to give up on life & did nothing. I can now take care of responsibilities! My mood has even improved & my patience with my children & people in General has vastly improved.

October 29, 2013 12:11 PM
Review by n810 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: What can I say, dx with mild ADD too (who isn't anymore) But this taken with Effexor XR has helped very much with apathy, motivation, energy and enjoyment of life! Dr.'s reluctantly Rx this bc it is Schedule 2 substance and is mostly Rx'd for ADD/ADHD but it has a profound effect in boosting the effects of an antidepressant. Taken alone for depression? Not really a good idea bc it wears off fast. I take 20-30 mg a day (TID)

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 28, 2013 1:14 PM
Review by Patient67 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Have to say wow! It helps low energy depression and works well with most SSRIs and some low dose SNRIs. Life feels exciting again and it offsets SSRI sexual side effects. Works fast and well. Main problem is that it wears off in a few hours so you need to dose multiple times a day. It causes you to sweat a little more and be a little more irritable than usual but it is really a great med to help depression. It is much different and better than Wellbutrin for sure even though both are NDRI's. Check out the research on stimulants for depression and bipolar depression. Going to try Provigil now for a more even energy/mood boost. But I may be back to this.

August 12, 2013 5:10 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I've been taking it for 7 years and it turned my life around. I am severely dyslexic and have ADD and am on 30mg to 40mg a day. However, as of recent it has started making me slightly disorientated and even slightly sleepy, and my thoughts come faster than I speak (used to happen before I started taking Ritalin with my dyslexia) but it feels worse. I just started interning at an Ad company so not the best of times!

June 25, 2013 11:04 AM
Review by WBTpostman: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate): I really wish I had this in high school. It really does help you focus on the task at hand.

April 13, 2013 4:55 AM
Review by kimberly87: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I had taken every form of Ritalin while in elementary and junior high school it helped me focus but I felt like a zombie and my mom always felt like it was not really me. I was always angry when I would start to come down from it at night so in high school I started taking Aderrall and it was such a great change.

March 27, 2013 3:26 PM
Review by DirtyDrew (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I find Ritalin allows me to focus. With my ADD and bipolar I couldn't even read a book. My doctor says though its a stimulant, Ritalin tends not to push bipolars into mania. I was self medicating my ADD with caffeine which made me anxious so I'm glad the Ritalin replaces that. I'm on a low dose now and hope to increase to where the positive effects last longer, as they are short lived now.

March 12, 2013 12:45 PM
Review by Bailey Miller (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I have been taking Ritalin for about a month now. It really helps me focus on things. But a downfall is, it is really hard to multi-task. I can only concentrate on one thing at a time, and that makes it very difficult for my school work. Also, I have had a huge loss in appetite. I am not hungry, EVER. During the month I have been on this medicine I have lost almost twenty pounds due to the fact that I never want to eat.

February 2, 2013 8:15 AM
Review by Crit: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I have been on Ritalin for 5 months now and it works great for my ADHD. I wish I would have been on it when I was in high school maybe I would have finished high school. I am 25 yrs old and I'm going for my G.E.D so I can go to College. I am so happy now I can concentrate and do things that I was never able to do. The only con is that it is not lasting as long as it did when I first got on it. I really believe Ritalin saved my life.

December 13, 2012 9:30 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I'm 28 yrs old and just started taking this 2 months ago. I abused med's in my teens & for the past 6 yrs have turned down prescriptions for fear of addiction & losing my personality and control. I gave Ritalin a shot at 10mg 2/day, 5 day/week none on weekends. I wish my parents would have taken me to a doctor to get checked out about 20 years ago. In 2 months I have been able to focus and concentrate on things like never before. I went from being an average student and poor test taker to above average and testing well. I don't snap at people as much as I did prior to taking. And still feel in control of who I am. The down side is I had to cut back on my coffee consumption. Its a good cause!

November 9, 2012 3:34 PM
Review by Sean P (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I'm currently going through nursing school at a university near me and from the start of this past semester I had a real tough time staying focused and doing my homework. Went to see a nurse APR N and she gave me a script for Ritalin, 10mg 2x a day. This medicine has been a God send for me, I always complete my assignments on time and have been getting A's and B's on all my test. It lets me sit down and study for 6 hours at a time but if I hadn't taken the Ritalin I wouldn't have half the work done that needed to be done. Plus I've not had a single issue with it such as withdrawals or anxiety.

October 29, 2012 11:33 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: I struggle with the Lethargic-type Depression. The Symptoms: lack of motivation, laziness, apathy, a-sociability (not caring about having others or relationships; NOT the same as anti-social), flat effect, low energy, excess sleeping, difficulty processing and connecting-the-dots; like when reading things for example, poor concentration, lack of drive, staying at home all day doing nothing, not getting a job, lack of determination and perseverance, giving up easily, low attention-span, etc. Ritalin works great for "Lethargic Depression", and even MORE so when combined with my Cymbalta (60mg once-daily). I take 20mg in the morning, and I have a lot more energy. Just cleaning the dishes doesn't seem like an exhausting burden anymore. My facial expressions and effect don't seem flat, zombie, stiff and mask like. I can process what I'm reading more clearly. I CARE more and FEEL more. I feel motivated, and more active, no longer just sitting and watching TV all day, letting the house turn into a pit. I'm being productive, I can keep many things at the front of my head without forgetting. Overall I've gone from the walking, living dead -to- a living, happy, productive person. Overall, I take 90-120mg of the regular Ritalin (methylphenidate) in divided doses throughout the day.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 5, 2012 11:57 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: This medication has worked well for approx 8mos to control Narcolepsy

April 15, 2012 4:48 AM
Review by littlelimabean: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: This medicine made me feel zombie like. I had hopes of focus and alertness and I know achieving the level of focus intended for the medicine does take a couple of weeks to take effect. But I do not think I can tolerate the restlessness feeling to achieve the intended effect. Just my opinion.

January 22, 2012 1:24 PM
Review by SleepyK: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: I've been taking Ritalin for 3 years for Narcolepsy. I was very unwilling to try it at first, but after much research and a push from my Dr, I was finally alert and able to think clearly for the first time in years. I've had to alter my dose at times and currently take 10mg twice a day. I work part-time and try to alter my lifestyle so I won't need to up my dose too soon. I can't imagine life without it and hope it continues to work for years to come.

January 10, 2012 8:06 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: Before Ritalin I was constantly snapping at my husband and I was never able to concentrate at work. After taking it I have turned into a new person! I am able to relax and for once feel calm. My husband said that since I started taking it I haven't been as moody. I am also able to complete my work projects in a timely manner.

January 9, 2012 9:23 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: I have been taking Ritalin for my narcolepsy for almost three years now. It helps significantly and without it, I don't think I would be able to work or function. However, my dosage has needed to be increased as it seems my body is getting used to it. It's also a great alternative to Provigil because it does not interact with birth control pills as Provigil does.

January 5, 2012 4:26 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I am a 20 year old man, going to university and had or still have troubles concentrating with my ADHD, mostly staying on one subject. Started taking Dexedrine, first it made me restless and gave lots of anxiety. Could not hold up a normal conversation or sit still, it made me feel uncomfortable. Then tried Concerta it was effective somewhat but did not help as much as I had hoped, could not notice much of a effect. Ritalin gives me the concentration when I need it most.

December 16, 2011 2:00 AM
Review by Finally focused: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I was 31 years old before I began taking Ritalin. I take a small dose, 10mg in the morning and 10mg early afternoon. I wish I had been prescribed this medicine years ago. I drive a truck for a living but I also do a lot of self study (audio and printed books) and Ritalin has greatly increased my productivity with the latter and safety with the former. I experience VERY few side effects. My mind used to wander quite often, I just thought I had an active imagination, but it was a problem. I have not lost my ability to imagine or abstract yet I have lost of tendency to wander aimlessly into unrelated thought. I have also lost my ability to get lost so often while driving!

December 14, 2011 11:40 AM
Review by Erinn86: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I found Ritalin increased my alertness and concentration. I rate Ritalin 2/10 as I find it increased my depression, from which point I stopped taking. Unsure whether the Ritalin interacted negatively with my usual small dose antidepressant Cymbalta or if increased depression is an unreported side effect.

October 27, 2011 8:06 PM
Review by Maximus409: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Depression: I was diagnosed post traumatic stress disorder from Iraq war and also which goes along with adult ADHD and depression. They say it has a lot to do with my mind, has so many thoughts of what happened, what is happening, etc. racing through it that I guess it basically just gets worn out like exercising but once they started Ritalin 20 mg three times a day it helped a lot. More focused, less worried and in time just felt more rested and calm. But did have to force to eat at first. Lost my appetite until I got used to it.

September 28, 2011 1:16 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I have severe ADHD . For a while I didn't know what was wrong with me, constantly day dreaming,lazy, unorganized, acting impulsively and very hyper. The medicine has changed my life. All these symptoms are gone except I'm still a bit hyper and impulsive but only slightly. It does exactly what it says on the tin and changed my life dramatically. I could actually focus. Bad things would be if you are sensitive to stimulants like coffee. It will make you jittery, it gives you a slight mood and energy boost. I'd recommend taking it in small doses first.

June 11, 2011 8:10 PM
Review by volynn: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: I've been taking Ritalin (extended release) at 20mg for almost a year now. I take it for ADHD. (I also have bipolar disorder type I.) This medication doesn't help with me when it comes to being hyper and full of energy all the time, but it does help with concentration. The only side effect I have experienced so far is loss of appetite, but not significantly.

May 14, 2011 9:41 PM
Review by Tonytoo: User Rating:

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: I have been on Ritalin for 20 years. It has worked great. While working full time, I took 20mg twice daily. Now retired and taking only 10 mg each morning, I feel more tired but being retired I function good and can rest anytime I need to.

April 10, 2011 11:51 AM